Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen EuroVan

Comments

• EuroManEuroMan Member Posts: 2
    Someone on this list asked about alternatives to the Eurovan Camper--van conversions with poptops. I researched this thoroughly before buying a Eurovan Camper and found two:
    Sportsmobile (www.sportsmobile.com) and something called the Tiger GT from Colorado. I think the company is called Provan.

The Sportsmobile is built on a full sized Ford or Dodge van. It uses the regular or extended body but cuts out a big hole from the roof for the poptop. Its Web site lists a bunch of used models available at their California plant.

The Tiger GT is built on a Chevy Astro minivan chassis but replaces the body aft of the cab with a wider one with an aluminum frame. It includes a bathroom. The Sportsmobile does not. These guys have a Web site too.

I eliminated the Tiger GT because it cost over $50K and had no access to used ones. The Sportsmobile was very tempting but new ones cost at least $5K more than the Eurovan and we found footroom too limited for the passenger (due to intrusion of the doghouse for its big V8 engine).

Someone else in this forum talked about being able to get American van conversions for $25. These are nice as passion pits for teenagers (if you think that's nice, that is) but they lack the poptop, propane furnace, sink, stove, fridge, cabinets etc. of the VW. The VW conversion is American, actually, from Winnebago, and adds about $10K to the $24K base price of the bare internior VW Transporter used at the base for it. You're not going to beat those prices for a true camper conversion.

As for coolness...well, anyone who watched the USA cable channel action show La Femme Nikita should take a close look at the troop transporter/command vehicle used by the good guys--it's based on Winnebago's Rialta, a full RV conversion of the Eurovan, with a new body aft of the cab. You can see this 21' miniRV (which does have a bathroom) at www.winnebagoind.com. It costs over $50K, BTW.
  • hollandmomhollandmom Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody have the new 99 version of the Eurocamper Van and had to have the conversion aspect of it serviced? Since Winnabago does the conversion (vs. the Westfalia co. previously), how does one get that aspect of the van seriviced if necessary? I am asking about having it serviced in America not Holland (we are moving to the States).
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    there are lots of RV repair places here, if the parts are all Winnebago - no problem at all to have serviced. I'm sure VW warrants the whole vehicle, but after the warranty expires there are places all over the US to have the Camper stuff fixed.
  • andrewwaandrewwa Member Posts: 1
    Anyone ever try to put infant/child seats in those rear facing seats? Is it legal?
  • mcampumpsmcampumps Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have some REAL WORLD experience towing large loads (travel trailers) with their Eurovan. VW rates the capacity at 4400 pounds (with trailer brakes), and I have a "lightweight" RV that weighs in at about 4000# that I am presently towing with my '97 Chevy Astro. I'd love to tow with the VW, but after a disastrous experience with a front drive Plymouth Voyager I'm very skeptical about this 4400# tow rating.
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    I looked at a 99 EV/MV today. Understand that I truly love VW vans. I've owned three vans in the past, two aircooled and one wasserboxer vanagon. The EV is uninspiring. Plastic everywhere. The table, jumpseats, and bed look flimsy The curtains look cheap. All the ambience of a base model Plymouth Voyager for only 50% more. I'm not sure if I will waste my time by driving.

I'll pass. Or at least wait until there is a $10,000 dealer incentive in place. Besides, Transporter 2000 is just around the corner.
  • emerlsemerls Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I just drove a '99 Eurovan. Can't get over how much roomier it is than any other mini-van. Visibility out cannot be beat. It felt old though and had a lot of suspension noise. We own a '97 Passat GLX wagon with a 5 speed. I want a 5 speed tranny!!!
    Everything I have read on this board is about the camper version. Does anyone have experience with the Eurovan version?
  • photoboyphotoboy Member Posts: 18
    Emerls...
    I owned a 1993 EuroVan (the only previous year they imported it to the U.S.) with the five cylinder Audi engine. Unfortunately, I bought a used one that someone had basically trashed. Despite that, I love the thing! As a former photojournalist, this vehicle became the traveling choice when a reporter and I went out on assignments. They loved to sit in the back seat, fold down the middle seat, and use it as a table to write out their stories on a laptop computer. Usually by the time we got back from an away assignment they would have their stories filed.
    I had trouble with the water pump(s), alternator and tires. The only reason I had trouble with tires was because the idiot dealer didn't install a C-load rated tire; the EuroVan is a very heavy vehicle and cannot be used with ordinary tires.
    I would say that if you can afford a new one, to go for it. You won't find anything near as roomy, or fun, or different. By the way, it's not classified as a mini-van... it's the real thing. And another thing: these vehicles are in use all over Europe, being used as police vehicles to ambulances to limos. Don't buy it for a dime over invoice. Good luck.
  • jtollisonjtollison Member Posts: 3
    I test drove one of these last Fall as I was considering a new VW. Decided to get the new Jetta with the TDI diesen engine this spring and love it.
    The Euro is for certain people that appreciate it for what it is and can do. But it is pricey. At $32 bills it is not competitive with US models. But they don't have anything like this. I wish VW would bring thier 2.5liter V6 diesel engine over here and put it the Euro, then I would buy one.
  • cvanpeltcvanpelt Member Posts: 1
    In response to the question on putting children's car seats in those rear facing MV chairs: I just happened to call the National Hwy Traffic Safety Admin hotline and asked this question today. Basically, they do not recommend placing any child safety seats (infant or toddler) because the safety seats are designed and tested for standard seats and positions. I have placed a call to the people in the safety dept. at VW and expect a call tomorrow. I was out at a dealership looking at a EUROVAN MV w/ weekender options today - it's this or a regular minivan. I currently own a 85 vanagon camper w/ 144k miles. I need something with more passenger carrying capacity - kids and grandparents. I'll give new update if I hear something else.
  • shaniafanshaniafan Member Posts: 2
    I can't bring myself to give up my two Vanagons:
    a 1985 Westy and a 1987 Vangon Gl (150,000 Miles)
    and still going strong. My two girls love the
    "top bunk." Both vans have been very reliable.
    I do all routine maintanence myself. I use
    Castrol Syntec in both vans. Not ready to give
    them up even for a Eurovan with the Six. I have
    a VW man since 1976 when I bought a 1970 bus.
  • erobinsonerobinson Member Posts: 4
    I found a 93 Eurovan GL with 48,500 miles. It has a 2.5 litre, 5-cylinder engine with a 5-speed manual. The rubber on the pedals was worn through to the metal, so I'm skeptical about the mileage. Does this condition seem funny after 6 years and 48,500 miles? It has dual air, power windows and locks, cruise control, cassette w/premium sound and 4-wheel ABS. It drove well and is clean inside. Anything in particular I should have checked out before taking the plunge?
  • erobinsonerobinson Member Posts: 4
    Where is everyone?
    Your 85 vanagon has a 1.9 wasserboxer. Vanagon.com is a wonderful resource for your vehicle. Follow the links to a very active mailing list that may also help. Several vendors on their links pages. You'll find enough info to keep you busy for months.

You need to watch for head gasket failures (beginning with pressurization of the coolant system and leaks), tranny failures of gear 3/4, and lots of little FI issues. If it's not running right and guzzling gas, you need to check with the list. Tuneup first, then troubleshoot the FI, beginning with the two temp sensors and the o2 sensor.

When running correctly, the 1.9 has adequate power. I cruised at 75 mph on interstate easily. Mileage should be around 17-18 mpg.

Good luck
    Ray
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Hi erobinson. I would certainly pay a mechanic to inspect any used car I'd buy, especially one with suspect miles.

guitarzan, Community Leader of Vans
  • keatonleekeatonlee Member Posts: 9
    We're in the market for a Eurovan camper. Does anyone know when the 2000 will be out and what, if any, changes there will be?
  • jwomerjwomer Member Posts: 1
    We had a 1990 Vanagon GL that we LOVED. I am currently considering buying a virtually perfect low mileage (55,000 miles) but outrageously expensive ($16k!!! Ouch!) Vanagon or a new Eurovan as a 3rd and long trip car. I would like to hear from people familiar with both on how they compare in ride, handling, and especially room. My impression is that the Eurovan layout has less passenger and cargo room layout than the Vanagon. Another disadvantage of the Eurovan would be the loss of the wasserleaker motor and that reliable and cheap AC!
  • gbakergbaker Member Posts: 1
    I have the opportunity to buy a 1995 Eurovan Camper (Winnebago) for under $13,000. The van has 42k miles on it. Here's the catch: the inside is 'gutted'. The pop-top is there, but everything else is gone -- I don't even think it has original seat benches in it.

The mechanic said there is nothing major wrong -- engine looks good, so does the tranny -- but there are numerous small things that could amount to ~$1000.

I'm looking for comments on:
    (1) would the accessories be so hard to find or expensive to purchase that it would be better not to get the van?
    (2) Other general opinions about this "deal"
  • mcarter2mcarter2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, we are considering buying a GLS Eurovan. We like everything about it. We are first time buyers of VW. What comments do you have on quality and reliability? What price can we expect to pay? Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • danm42danm42 Member Posts: 1
    Just my two cents worth on the 99 GLS. We just got a new one for a substantial discount from the MSRP. The 100 mile drive home made me a believer. We hit a major thunderstorm that had most other vehicles pulling to the side of the road. I slowed way down, but felt completely safe continuing on. The slow speed traction is amazing.
    As for styling, I really enjoy having something that doesn't look like every other van on the road.
  • mccullochmcculloch Member Posts: 1
    I recently unloaded a 93 Eurovan with about 70,000 miles on it. Loved it until I had to replace anything. Look at the air conditioner, it is up to $3000 to fix if a major piece goes. There are two pieces to it hidden behind the headlights that will fail and prevent the cooling fan from kicking on. They will fail on ALL 93's. The exhaust costs $1100++ at dealer or $800 elsewhere if you can find it. For a complete list of problems look at issues of "Eurovan Update" published in Kentucky, the address is 6330 Waid Circle Paducah, KY 42001. The only very complete resource on this vehicle. I never learn - I'm looking at a 99 model.
  • treknvwtreknvw Member Posts: 2
    We have had our 1999 Eurovan MV for almost a year (11,000 miles) now and I'm interested to know if anyone else out there has had one for as long and what their experience and opinion is now since they've had the chance to drive the darn thing for a while.
  • hdurocherhdurocher Member Posts: 1
    I wish that vw would get there act togther, and offer the EUROVAN with the 6cyl tdi. I have a
    PASSAT wagon with tdi and love it 60k and not one problem 40 to 50 mpg. and lots of power. I would
    buy a EUROVAN with the tdi it would off set the higher price.
  • taliaulitaliauli Member Posts: 1
    We just bought our 1993 Eurovan a month ago and last night while my husband was at the store, he had the van turned off, and he noticed from the store that the engine was on fire. Has there been any problems similar to this? We opened the hood and saw that the clip that was holding the two windshield wipers had come off and it probably fell on top of the engine and ignited the fire. Please help, I need to find out if anything like this has happened to anyone else.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Check out Edmund's Safety Info for possible information.

Good luck!

KarenS
    Vans host
  • jimosheajimoshea Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a new camper van but the 2000 models are not in yet.

The dealer has a 97 w/ 32k miles on it for about $31,000. He tells me a new 99 sales for about $38,000.

I suspect the new model will run around $40,000 and can't believe these incredible prices!

After reviewing the 79 responses listed on the Eurovan, I am not feeling convinced this is a good investment.

Anyone thrilled with their 97? What do think of the reliability of this model? Apparently the previous owners turned in for a VW Passant.

Not feeling incredibly confident after reviewing the 79 responses listed on the Eurovan. I am not feeling convinced this is a good investment.

Appreciate any advice.
  • davellisdavellis Member Posts: 1
    I have a family of 7 and currently own an '85 Vanagon that has been very reliable, eficient and versitile. I'm wondering what is the best price I could expect to get on the Eurovan in the current market. Has anyone out there purchased a '99 or 2000 Eurovan in the past few months?
  • jimlessjimless Member Posts: 1
    From Jim Morrison
    To Jim O'Shea
    I owned an 86 weekender VW van for seven years. I knew the first names of every mechanic at the local dealer by 1993. One bright young mechanic said he would NOT buy the Eurovan. VW had a chance to do it right and didn't. Still underpowered and now undersized, there are better choices than the Eurovan. Great bodywork quality but the above caveats. Mechanical repairs were frequent and VERY expensive. I've been quite happy for six years with a Mazda MPV. Outstanding quality, dealer service. Very little "van" room, however. Just a large trunk that holds two more people. The old rear wheel drive handled like a good car and also offered the towing option. The towing was never done, but the option allowed us to climb the steepest mountains with the A/C on if desired. The new MPV is front drive with super cargo space, but because of no towing option, I would NOT buy the front drive Maz. Look for a good used rear drive. Also, check the following websites for shopping and prices: carsdirect.com and edmund.com
    Local dealer has a 99 on his lot. MV package but not weekender. $5k off and still no takers. It's been there for months.

Of course, $5k off is still $28,000 or about the price of a Chrysler T&C. Almost ten thousand more than a base Dodge or E150. IMHO the Eurovan is a base model "stripper" with power windows. Plastic galore. Yuck!

They never learn. Drop it about $10k more and you might sell a few.
    Try vanagon.com for additional information on vanagons and eurovans. There are links on that site to two very high volume mailing lists for VW van afficionados.

God bless.
  • greg79greg79 Member Posts: 3
    Next to the fast food window was the VW dealership lot with a new camper. I asked my wife to check out the sticker while we were waiting in line. I saw a salesman start running as soon as she got to the van.

She got back into our car before he made it to her. She had this look of disbelief on her face, kind of like being in shock. When she told me that it's asking price was $50,000 I understood why he was running as fast as he was. She still thinks it was a typo.

I was laughed so hard, I couldn't drink my soda. For that kind of money you would expect to make it up a hill or into a headwind without blowing up engines or being in 2nd gear at 20 mph.

We've owned a 61,73, and an 81 vw camper over the years. They have all been unreliable, but they were cheap, and we liked exploring and camping. Other drivers did not get upset if a VW was going over a pass in the right lane 50 miles an hour slower than all other cars. They came to expect it.

A VW camper for $50,000. What a joke. It will take more than salesmen in running shoes to move those out of their lot.
  • edwardh1edwardh1 Member Posts: 88
    In the mid 70's seven people at my company had vw vans. 7 of 7 had engines blow up, usually in the summer on trips. Most switched to Japanese cars.
    vw makes them the way they make them and they only change them on a 10 year cycles; I think it may be a German engineering culture thing, that is, they make it one way and do not listen to their customers at all, and are slow to change even if they are wrong. It took vw from 1978 to about 82 to put out a recall on valve stem seals leaking.
  • name1200name1200 Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks! I have a 1999 Eurovan Camper that I am going to sell. It has 15,500 miles on it and is in perfect condition (stove and furnace have never been used.) I have added a 10 disc CD changer and stereo. I LOVE MY EVC!! But ... have to sell it because of medical reasons. If anyone is interested please email me personally and I will give you all of the details. My address is :
    Name1200@aol.com
  • indy2indy2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 Eurovan Camper. It now has 24000 miles. My personal experience is that I regularly get 18 miles to the gallon, highway and city driving combined in the mountains of Western North Carolina. I paid about $33 K for it through AAA (American Automobile Association) buying service. I have had no problems with it other than a check engine light that comes on for no apparent reason before going off. The VW dealer has been great with the free oil changes too. I have done the following with it that I believe are unique to this vehicle: 1) Moved a Spinet piano from our house to my son's school about 50 miles away 2) At campsites, I pay the van rate and not the motor home rate ($35 vs $100 at the Indy 500) 3) At other tracks I can choose to park where motor homes park (with electric and water hookups) 4) I can camp in the winter with no hookups since the stove and refrigerator can work off the propane tank 5) I never have to worry about being warm camping out with the propane furnace 6) In the summer, when I leave it parked, I can avoid it getting too hot inside by opening the screen windows and/or the ceiling vent 7) I can fold the bed out so passengers can sleep as we cruise down the road 8) When I am parked and plugged in, I can use whatever electrical appliances I choose with the two sets of electrical outlets inside 9) When there isn't a plug in I can hook up an inverter to the extra battery and run appliances without fear of running down the main battery 10) I can pull out the canopy (an option from VW) for shade at a sporting event or while camping 11) The refrigerator keeps my beverages and food cold while cruising down the highway 12) It has a closet to hang my clothes 13) It has at least three other storage bins 14) I can carry six passengers with plenty of leg room 15) I can drive it back and forth to work on a daily basis 16) and so forth. The point is I know of no other vehicle (automobile, van, or motor home that can do all of this and has so much flexibility, much less for under $30 k. Am I a big fan of the this new bus? Definitely. I was also a big fan of the old VW buses. I had three of them. This new one has all the advantages of the old ones with few of the disadvantages (ie lack of power). It doesn't have quite the charm of the old one and the Winnebago conversion build quality isn't as good as Westfalia, but I wouldn't trade it from the old one or for the ubiquitous mini-vans that are everywhere.
  • blondiniblondini Member Posts: 1
    I have an opportunity to buy a 5 cylinder 1995 Camper van, or the 6 cylinder 1997 model. The 1997 version is getting quite large at 131" wheelbase and 5000 pounds weight. Is the 1995 model be any better for city driving? What is it's wheelbase and weight?
    I wasn't aware that the Winnebago Eurovan's wheelbase changed. Note that the Winnies have the long wheelbase and regular Urovans have the SWB. VW doesn't sell the LWB passenger van or a SWB camper (like the new Westphalias) in the U.S.
  • trier1trier1 Member Posts: 1
    There has been a compilation of reports at ev_update@egroups.com regarding fuel line leaks on the 93 EV. Of 20 EV owners reporting, 17 have had fuel line leaks and at least one of those leaks created a fire which totaled the EV. The necessary repair appears to be replacement of some fuel lines and their clamps. VWoA and NHTSA have been advised. I you own a 93 EV, be sensitive to the possibility of a fuel line leak and resultant fire.
  • ivan17ivan17 Member Posts: 2
    Hi name1200 (or anyone selling)
    I'm interested in buying 98&up Eurovan MV/Camper.
    Please send your offer at skatula2000@aol.com
  • name410name410 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I made this post several weeks ago and since that time my email address has changed. I am so sorry if you've tried to send me mail.

Hi folks! I have a 1999 Eurovan Camper that I am
    going to sell. It has 15,500 miles on it and is inperfect condition (stove and furnace have never
    been used.) I have added a 10 disc CD changer and
    stereo. I LOVE MY EVC!! But ... have to sell it
    because of medical reasons. If anyone is
    interested please email me personally and I will
    give you all of the details. My address is :
    name410@aol.com (This is the updated email address.)
  • seb4seb4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 van with a Glaval Primetime Hightop conversion, fully loaded with 26,600 miles. I'm trying to find the fair market value on it for a buyer to give to her credit union for a loan. The credit union can't seem to figure out what the market value on a conversion van is. I recently had a change in marital status and am downsizing. If anyone has info on finding a market value or is interested in buying the van, please email me at stevebro@5pillars.com
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Seb4, try posting in "Price costing conversion vans".

Guitarzan
    Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Have you looked in the Edmund's Marketplace? That is where members can place ads.

Good luck!

KarenS
    edmunds.com Town Hall Host
  • gcashmangcashman Member Posts: 1
    I have a '97 Eurovan Camper, with 58k miles. I purchased the vehicle new in Northern CA (Prestige Imports, Santa Rosa, CA) for $32K. Drove it 5K mi to Southern, VA in '98 via Canada and a dozen National parks. It has performed well as a commuter getting 18-20 mpg, comparable to a pickup truck, with more versatility. I've hauled shrubs, furniture and six people with ease, in addition to great camping. The benefits of the vehicle outweigh it's shortcomings significantly albeit I've had some frustrations as noted. Typically the dealer's have a lasse faire attitude with any aspect of the vehicle that is Winnebago in origin.

Vehicle discrepencies have been:

1)The wrong Surburban thermostat was installed in the cabin. The heater would cycle through several times and not get hot. This was a recall by Winnebago, and repaired by the dealer.

2)At altitudes above 3000ft (approx) the refrigerator (3-way propane, battery, elec)while in the propane mode would cycle on/off and not light. The refrigerator manufacturer, Norcold, sent a high altitude kit...free to the RV dealer I was working with and it now works as advertised. The VW dealer (Prestige) was clueless in this regard.

3)My experience with the OEM Goodyear Tires was terrible. The tread looked rippled and uneven from a side view. I replaced the entire set at 20K mi (with some warranty) and again at 45K. The 2nd time with Michlen's and they appear to be far superior at 57K mi.

4)When new, I asked the dealer and VW customer service for six months about a trailer hitch with no results. I was told that there was no hitch available or approved. (In 93-95 a hitch assy was sold by VW). Finally I found the source, Dalan Hitch in MA that makes a hitch ($150) and $50 for installation. The only purpose for the hitch was for a swing-away bicycle rack (SportsRack) which was a superior alternative to a roof rack system (to high for ease of use) without the holes in the roof.

5) Recently, the check engine light came on for no apparent reason then went off. A dealer in Mobile, AL hooked up a test monitor and said that the engine just burped and tripped the light, "it usually happens if the vehicle sits for a long time" (I had just driven 500 mi, go figure). It happened twice on the same trip with 50k mi. Not before or since.

6)Most recently, when locking the vehicle from the driver's side, the locks cycle to the unlocked position. This happens randomly although noticed more so during damp or rainy conditions. Still to be resolved.

Other than the above items, the vehicle has met my expectations as a uniquely capable vehicle and well suited to outdoor activities.

I read a San Jose Mercury News review that panned the vehicle, comparing it to the multitude of mini-vans available on the market especially in handling. It's definitely not a mini-van and it lacks the umph of it's full size (V-8) competition. I believe that it handles better than any other full size van and I've driven several. In '97, US vans in a similar camper configuration sold for at least $10K more. I'm convinced that this vehicle is the best value for form, fit and function. Otherwise VW does a pitiful job at marketing the vehicle, for example the web site was nearly 2 years behind on the specs when I bought mine.

I'm curious about the inverter that someone had written about and wondering if this was an after-market or VW item.

Thanks for a great site.
  • legalexlegalex Member Posts: 4
    I have the opportunity to buy a 1997 EU Camper for around 25k. I was told I could get 10 year RV financing. It seems to be in great condition. All that is missing is the center seat, which we would have taken out for camping anyway. Also, it has the side awning and the zip on screens.

Thanks, Alexis
  • legalexlegalex Member Posts: 4
    I was wondering about putting a car seat in the front passenger seat of the EV with the seat turned rear facing. I would only do so if I could get passenger airbag removed or turned off. Anyone done this?

Alexis
  • pngu107pngu107 Member Posts: 2
    I'm a new owner of a 99 VW Eurovan Camper. This is the very first time I've owned this type of vehicle. Our family is very excited and we can't wait to go camping. There are couple things I'm not sure about:
    1. The engine runs smoothly but when the air conditioning is turned on, it's rattling a lot. I've owned several vehicles but none acted like this.
    2. The sink drains extremely slow
    I don't know if this is normal. Also I can't find a dealer near my hometown (Olympia, WA) that carries the awning for this van. I called 3 dealers in 3 nearby cities but none of them has it! Do you know where I can order one and how much it costs?
    Try Steve Lashley at eurocampers.com.

Don't know him and have no relationship with his business, but he's been around the bus/vanagon/eurovan community for years.

Try vanagon.com for some excellent lists concerning all busses. There is a eurovan specific list. They might be able to help you with the drain problem.
  • kmathurkmathur Member Posts: 1
    I am Interested in Buying a '00 Eurovan MV with the weekender option. Does anybody have one? Give me a quick review
    Is this option still available? I've seen it in the brochures, but the weekender option is no longer listed edmunds and autosite.

My local VW dealerships won't sell EV's, so I cannot research this locally.
  • bar_xxbar_xx Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know how to access the Camper cost on Edmunds web site. I see the GLs and MV but not the Camper.