Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Aerostar

Comments

• tobin4tobin4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 Ford Aerostar XLT van with 235,000 miles! I live in New England and the winters can be tough as it was this past winter. I have changed the oil every ten to fifteen thousand miles. I purchased the van almost new from the dealer. It was used as rental. I bought it the end of 1993 with 15,000 miles. It has been a great mini van. I tried the others, none of them even was close. I am 6' 4" tall, so I needed the leg room. That seems to be a problem with mini vans and some automobiles today, no leg room to stretch your legs out. Same original transmission and engine. Other than the usual replacement of brakes, tires, plugs and oil, the van has been good for us. I have used the van for both pleasure and work. I highly recommend the Ford Aerostar.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good deal! Are you using "regular" dead dino oil in it or synthetic?

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • dogsruledogsrule Member Posts: 13
    Hello,

I have a '91 Aero sport with 90k miles. Its run well and is practically a new van.

But it has this steering wheel shimmy from 50 mph up and intensifies through 75+. The only thing not replaced so far is the ball joints and tie rod ends.

Have any one out there had a similiar problem? My dealer says everything is OK. Yea, right. Let him put his kids in there.

Any input appreciated.
  • 93saturnsl193saturnsl1 Member Posts: 27
    My family bought a new '88 Aerostar in January of that year. From the get go we had problems, like stalling out and not starting while the drive out tag was still in the window, but we loved it nonetheless. We took it on several vacations, and I drove it all through high school (I was pretty popular being able to haul 7+ people!). The engine (3.0) seems to be amazing, although everything else around it falls apart. We maintained it rather anally... oil changes every 3k religiously, always checking the fluids, anything we could do. It still decided to go through 3 transmissions, with the O/D having gone out long ago in the present one. Blower motor, wiper motor (2x), brakes and rotors out the ying yang, fuel pumps (3), exhaust, tie rods, several a/c recharges (finally had the O-rings replaced about 5 yrs ago, and STILL blows cold with no recharges since), and about 3 heater cores. The engine, on the other hand, has had no repairs... completely original and runs strong with 176,000 on the odo now. Even with all of the nickel and diming, we still love it, and its still on the road every day. I have no doubt it'll go well into the 200k's. Well, hopefully since everything surrounding the engine is either new or repaired.
  • dcompsdcomps Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 97 AWD Extended Aerostar. Its in great shape with 53K miles. Two thing bother me about its performance. I drove it on a stretch of freeway at 75 mph and got some vibration in the steering wheel. I could also see the rest of the van vibrating. Not a major vibe. But, just enough to bug me on a trip. No vibe at lower mph. Also, at idle, there is a slight miss in the engine after its been warmed up. Any ideas?
    Dcomps: I asked about this a few messages back on my '91 with 91K miles. Your situation could be anywhere from the rubber up to the steering wheel. It will take time and a logical place to start and just begin.

I started with the rubber and made sure it was balanced, eventually had to replace the rotors, bearings, balance, alignment. I had the dealer check the ball joints and arms to "OK" but i still suspect its either them or the rack itself.

Only problem is they just had to put in the 4th alternator after it caught fire. ther is a 12/12 warrrantee on Ford parts but with 10 months/14K on this alternator they refused right up to Dearborn to assist with replacement despite a TSB and a dozen NHTSA reports of exactly this fire hazard.

POINT: Nice van, but it's discontinued, out of warrantee, and Ford won't back you up. I love my Aerostar depsite all the other work. But like like a family dog, once it bites your little girls face, better get rid of it. And this possible van is beginning to growl.

I'm looking for a 2000+ Odyssea replacement.

Have a nice day!
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    You may be interested in the Aerostar's IIHS 40mph front offset crash test results. Please click on the link below:

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/96023.htm

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • wmy99wmy99 Member Posts: 7
    I own a 1991 Aerostar, XLT, extended van, 3 litre engine with 160,000 miles.

I experienced a steady water leak at the top of my window located behind the driver's seat.

After inspection from the outside of the vehicle, I noticed the plastic window frame of the side, sliding window had lifted away at the top from the metal leaving a space.

I filled this space all along the top of the window from the outside with clear windshield sealer. (clear silicone sealer can be used also, available at your hardware store). This stopped the leak.

If leaking still persists, I would check your roof rack where it is attached to the roof.
  • wmy99wmy99 Member Posts: 7
    I own a 1991 Aerostar, XLT, extended van, 3 litre engine with 160,000 miles.

- Since 1992 this vehicle has had these problems:

- All engine gaskets were changed under warranty.
    - Chronic brake problems, rear calipers, emergency brake not releasing.
    - Leaks at windows.
    - Outside door handles and inside window power controls constantly breaking.
    - Heater/defroster/airconditioning needs constant repair.
    - Balanced driveshaft goes out of balance, needs replacement.
    - The Aerostar has no weight at the back of the vehicle and can be very dangerous to drive in slippery and snowy conditions.
    - Trade-in value of Aerostar is pathetic so you are forced to keep driving the vehicle.
    - Engine lights, brake lights flash on & off, gas guage swings back & forth. It's like having an Arcade Game built in your dash.
    - Yes, the 3.0 litre engine has been dependable (after changing all gaskets} and the bucket seats are comfortable.

- If you want to be on the 1st name basis with your mechanic buy an Aerostar.
  • steinbrechersteinbrecher Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone had to replace their oil Pan gasket? I have a '95 XLT with a 3.0 Liter engine.

I'm looking at about $400. Any reccomendations for service? I live in Atlanta.

TIA (Thanks in Advance).
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    One of my friends bought a 1997 Aerostar a few years back and I teased her. I told her that the van, while very utilitarian and pleasant to ride in, was terribly unreliable. Boy was I wrong.

I'm not sure how many miles she has racked up, but it must be well over 60,000 - its her daily driver - and she has not had one problem. Zero. Zilch. Original brakes, belts, hoses, exhaust - everything. It has been a perfect vehicle. And despite its dated styling, it still looks like a new vehicle. She must have found a real peach.
    as someone who oves their Aerostar like an abused child loves their parent, I recommend saving your cash for more necessary things. You'll never drip $400 oil out that pan. Unless you've got a REAL PROBLEM with it, save it for that "will save your kids lives" type of repair.
    I found out the problem was not as I feared. The leak was Power Steering fluid. I drove to another location of the same place that diagnosed the problem as the gasket leak. I went under the bay with the technician and he said it was Power steering fluid leaking out. He tightened two nuts with a 16 mm wrench and topped off the fluid with Dexron.

I gave the guy $20.

Needless to say I won't be going back to the location that misdiagnosed the problem, if they don't know the difference between Power Steering fluid and oil.
    Way to go! I am in the health care field and am a diagnostician. I regularly use logic to rule things in or out. I can safely say 1/2 of the time the list of possibilities to fix a problem is BS. Last week a rusty catalytic converter was the cause of a rattle. Turns out to be the pipewrench left by the last ford mechanic who worked on the brakes.

Watch 'em my friend. They''l keep you sharp.
  • hawk54hawk54 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Aerostar 4.0L with 100K miles on it. Great van so far. No oil leaks or other major problems. But I do have this noise that's driving my wife crazy. Living in San Antonio, you run your air conditioning all the time. Once the car has warmed up, we get this howling noise at idle. It's coming from the air intake. I have removed the air filter, air hose, and have cleaned the housing completely. It doesn't make the noise at driving speeds, but only at idle. You can hear it a half-block away. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jon
    Update on leak.

I had the gasket changed. I got tired of putting in a quart every 2 - 3 days.

This guy at work seems to think that the place I got my oil changed at messed around with the gasket to make it appear there was a problem (pulled it out to make it leak). I can't prove anything but it is a bit suspicious that it started leaking after I got my oil changed.

Any thoughts, since I had it fixed?
  • 93saturnsl193saturnsl1 Member Posts: 27
    They may have messed with it, but it could've been leaking for a good while and wasn't really bad enough to notice until then. I had a friend's '96 F150 a while back, and the gasket on it had been leaking for a while. I had it loaded down moving some stuff, and the gasket blew out and the oil sprayed out all over the place... had to be towed. Yours may have lasted for a while, but it was something that needed to be replaced. Our '88 Aerostar has never had one, though the list of everything else we've replaced on it is staggering! Still running great with over 175k on it though. Thank god we're backyard mechanics at least or it would've died long, long ago.
  • jkennedyakjkennedyak Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I was sent by Steve since Aerostar thread not very active. Need to find out any info on proper adjustment, potential things to look for, in regards to rattle coming from sliding door on 96 Aerostar extended van with running over even the slightest bump. Pretty hard to swallow given the number of potholed gravel roads here. Looking forward to snowfall to fill in the holes!

thank you

Joe
  • infidelinfidel Member Posts: 9
    Yep, I have a 93 Aerostar with 190,000 miles on the clock. Original engine, transmission and everything else. It's hauled my 3 kids, it's hauled major appliances, it's hauled trash to the dump. The 3.0 engine has low compression in 2 of the cylinders, but it otherwise gets me where I want to go. I paid 15,000 for it. I think I've got my moneys worth. I've decided I'm just going to keep driving it until the wheels fall off.
  • drmaydrmay Member Posts: 8
    I've got the stretch 4WD 4L XLT with 200,000 Kliks (that's 120,000 mi..) It was in bad shape when I bought it at auction in 1998 but after fixing up all the problems (ball joints, alignment, shifter cable, head light module, big time tune up, sticky door locks, squeaky sliding door, bad front rotors, and a LOT of dirt in the carpet) It's run like a top. I like it so much I got it re painted. I drive hiway to work and in winter that 4WD makes it stick like glue no matter what shape the road is in.

One BIG problem happened a while ago when the driver side front axle fell off at the inboard CV joint. The axle flange is held to the CVJ by 5 special bolts with lock nuts. Not one nut was left, the bolts were intact and still on. Were they even bolted when I got it? I don't know. Either way, it was a snap to repair.
  • jonfrompajonfrompa Member Posts: 1
    I've had 2 Aerostars, a 1990 4.0l I bought with 30,000 miles and a 1991 3.0l I bought with 167,000 miles. Both reached 250,000 miles till their transmissions needed rebuilt or replaced. They are workhorses and I will continue to buy them as long as they are still around. Not impressed at all with their replacement, Windstars. Who knows, they brought back the T-bird, maybe the Aerostar some day too!
  • dndolddndold Member Posts: 2
    I have had two Areostars also, a 1988 and a 1991 that I just replaced with new 2001 e-150 Traveler. They all needed constant repair and upkeep, especially the brakes, the front end and both had leaks in the same place (behind drivers seat)I had to rebuild the engine in the 1991 and the A/C has been shot for a couple of years (a $1000 repair) The sliding door hardware always had to be repaired or replaced in both as well. Basically they aren't much good past 100K without a lot of work. On the positive side, they are comfortable and have lots of room that you can't find in their mini van replacements available today (hence the E-150). The transmissions have been excellent in both. I have about 165K on my 1991 and will use it as a beater around town until the wheels fall off. They neither were very reliable past 100K.
  • stear_n_wielstear_n_wiel Member Posts: 3
    I own a '93 Aerostar XL Plus w/ 4.0L. I bought it from a rental agency with 97,000 mis. in September of '97. I now have 137,000 mis on the vehicle. Although maintenance seems to be expensive, it is only relative to why we bought the vehicle. It has done exactly what we intended it for (haul a family of six and double as a work vehicle if my full size van breaks down; good traction in winter w/ AWD).

We just had the van serviced w/ new serp belt and front brakes, oil change, etc. We then drove 800 miles over the Colorado mountains with no problems. I can't say enough about the 4.0L engine for powering through the passes. We averaged 20 mis to the gallon.

I can see most everybody on this discussion board is bummed w/ AC. Mine is shot too. I think the brakes are a little weak also.

My questions: A short time after I got the van I wanted to deal with the surging problem at idle. I ended up replacing the oxygen sensor, intake manifold gasket, and got new plugs and wires. Amazingly I got 29mpg shortly after this tune up (no my calculations were not off, I have a science degree). Anybody else record this kind of mileage? I was informed by Ford about 20,000 miles later that my intake manifold gasket was leaking again. Are there any Ford service write ups about the intake manifold that they are not telling us about? Anyway my rpm surging at idle has returned and the check engine light comes on at strange times (only high speed on the highway).

Anyway I bought the van for about $7,500.00 when they were selling locally between $10-11K. Now the resale value on the TMV page is down to about $1800.00. That's hardly justice to this vehicle.
    I am seriously considering keeping it now. Maybe like VW's bug they will be forced to bring this one back.
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    I do not have one but my sister-in-laws has one. It has been in garage in their house for over a year. The best use he has had for it was to use it to lock up the Christmas presents.
  • pjksrpjksr Member Posts: 111
    After 207,000 faithful miles, my '91 XL E-4WD popped its rear transfer case seal. Looks to need some transfer case work, in addition to replacement of engine gaskets, which have been leaking. Anyone want it?
  • cchristiancchristian Member Posts: 2
    94 XL, 3.0 V6, 48K, bought new and made the last week the 94's were made in Aug. May be a winner due to this fact as all 94 bugs were fixed?. Never garaged. Sticky elec. passenger window button first year or so and corrected itself. Bad connection on TSU lead cap and soldered it and temp gauge works great.
    24+ MPH with CC on long freeway trip. Use severe maint. schedule. Tires will go to 60K?. Have done nothing to it other then the book maint. instructions. Being tall, older, and with arthritis, I can drive on CC all day and not have any discomfort. Love the room to haul anything I have ever wanted to haul on a trip or a new washer, 4x8 sheet of plywood, etc. Wife hates to drive it. Will probably keep it and fixed it and paint if necessary until the end of my driving days. Happy owner.
  • bjfrank42bjfrank42 Member Posts: 51
    Have a 93 extended XLT. 125000 miles and the 4.0 engine. Love it but wife won't drive it. I use it for everything. It's my pickup with a roof. Glad to see someone else get good gas mileage. Couldn't get anyone to believe me when I told them I was getting 22 mpg at 80 mph.
    Wish they still made them. definitely a veheicle for tall people. Only vehicle that long trips didn't tire me out.
  • candlemakercandlemaker Member Posts: 9
    We are looking at a 93 Aerostar and a 94 Voyager. Seems the Aerostar is liked over the Voyager.
    This is a former RCMP vehicle, well maintained with 150,000 km on it.
    Is there anything anyone can offer here about a 93 Aerostar? Thanks
  • bjfrank42bjfrank42 Member Posts: 51
    Air conditioning is the only problem I have had with mine. Had to replace the compressor. Cools well though when working properly. Other people I know had trouble with air also. Might want to check that out closely.
  • candlemakercandlemaker Member Posts: 9
    Thanks, will check that out.
  • mrgrass100mrgrass100 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if I should be looking for something specific to go wrong with my sweet 94 Aerostar at 133k? Please e-mail me if you do! I want my daugther to drive it this fall so if anyone knows of a weak link - please let me know!
    ---------------------------------------------------

These vans are tough, I have my 94 Aerostar with the standard 3.0 Liter V6, automatic transmission. She has 133,000 miles with all original parts. I have changed all the filters on a regular basis and plan on driving it til she drops. Too bad they don't make these girls anymore! Not bad fuel economy either for a baby V6 - plus, I have heard horror stories about Dodge and Plymouth Caravans where they self-destruct at 100,000 miles - transmission/engine issues.

Lovin the beast in NH!
  • jwm271jwm271 Member Posts: 27
    Our 93 XLT Extended 3.0 Has been great. Replaced A/C compressor with new style in 1999. Still gets 22 MPG at 75MPH on trips. The inflatable lumbar support on both front seats make 500-600 mile trips no problem. Currently has 210,000 miles.
  • rejoycenrejoycen Member Posts: 1
    Im wondering if anyone knows why after driving for maybe 2 solid hours on a trip, the clock/radio light comes on? Then I get to my destination and after a few starts its gone again, until the drive back. Very strange, because if it was wiring it would happen at different times. Plus cigarette lighter wont work, cell phone you know,, checked fuses. IT's at the shop as we speak for a new ac compressor. A thousand bucks seems like the average amount Ive read on here. But I am going to go for it, because I do love how this van moves on my 4 hour trips back and forth from CT to ME. Thanks all.
  • markscarrmarkscarr Member Posts: 1
    Hi There,

I am a newbie to this message board.
    I own a 1993 Ford Aerostar 4.0L V6 AWD.
    It runs fine except when going up hills if the
    outside temp is above about 65F. Depending on
    the steepness and length of the hill the engine
    temp will get steadily hotter eventually to the point when it will overheat (I have not allowed this to happen so far).

I have changed all of the fluids, and flushed out the cooling system and installed new coolant.

It is strange as the engine temp is fine on the flat, even on really hot days. So I am assuming that it is the extra load the engine is under going uphill. Surely this should not happen unless the van is fully loaded and the external temp is really hot?

Any help would be most appreciated as I really like the van and it is otherwise mechanically sound.

Thanks,

Mark.
  • h8winterh8winter Member Posts: 1
    I just had to read through some of the posts on this particular board for Aerostars to see the feelings of other Aerostar owners. After having mine for almost 6 years (bought it in '96 with 56,xxx miles) and traded it in last night. I just have to say that aside from the typical maintenance (brakes, etc.) it was a pretty darn good vehicle. The last few months, the power steering began leaking, the exhaust pipe was going to have to be replaced, and who know what else would have had to be done, it was time to let it go. It was pretty much mechanically sound, got me where I needed to go, but it didn't look nice anymore; rusting like crazy on the bottom. But then, living in WI with all the salt they throw on the highways, doesn't help.

Oh yes, and like the other posts; my A/C had been history for the past 4 yrs. It didn't bother me tho' - I don't find much of a need for it unless it's like near 90-degrees and it's terribly humid.

Good luck to all of those who still have theirs. Let's face it, though - every make of automobile will have its lemons.
  • time4familytime4family Member Posts: 24
    We have a 93 xlt with electronic 4 wheel drive. The air was serviced a couple of years ago and worrks great. I have had to do the front brakes once. It has 138,000 miles on it and it is much more reliable than the 96 voyger we bought to replace it. The Aerostar does have a thumping that sounds like a wheel bearing ?? but the voyger has a anti theft system (Panic button on key fob) that will not reset so it just sits until I can figure what is wrong. "back to driving old faithful.
    Hope you already had yours fixed, but my 91 Aerostar had a bad clutch on the cooling fan. You might have that checked, as well as obviously, the thermostat...
  • kckidkckid Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Aerostar with 184,000 nearly trouble free miles. Only trouble has been in the rear transfer case, serpentine belt tensioner, and very troublesome power steering (ever since I hit that darn deer last year). Dual A/C still works great (knock on wood). The only vehicle I have ever owned that I could say was better was my old Duster, which I drove 331,000 miles, and refused to die even then. Somebody at Ford needs their rear-end kicked for deciding to discontinue this wonderful vehicle. There is no alternative out there. No one in my house is less than 6 feet tall, and we are too uncomfortable in the Astro, not to mention that they are rough and crude compared to the Aerostar. Guess I'll drive this one till it drops, and then look for another Aerostar with less than 100,000 miles.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    How in the world can one do service on an Aerostar's engine if there's no room under the hood?
  • dougd7dougd7 Member Posts: 71
    We have a 93 Aerostar that we bought used w/44k miles on it at the end of 1997 (4 days after Christmas). It has held up well but has been in the shop more often than my 92 Acclaim (purchased new). In the past 3 years I've replaced the radiator(leaking), cooling fan clutch, front rotors (warped), sparkplug wires (twice), exhaust(including the $90 flex pipe), water pump (twice), front tie rods, and the clockspring.

Shortly after we took it home I had to return it because it was missing, leaking radiator and pinion seal was blown. All that was covered under warrantee. Except now the pinion seal is blown again so that will need to be fixed at my cost.

All in all it hasn't been a bad vehicle but it is difficult to work on - no space in the engine compartment! Mine has the 3.0L V6 so it has a little more room than the ones with the 4.0L but it is still tight quarters. We took a vacation to New Orleans and back through Georgia to Virginia (home) and then on to western Pa. without major problems. I was disappointed with my gas mileage. Carrying family of six with the a/c on, luggage on roof and averaging 70 mph I averaged just over 17 mpg hwy. I thought I'd at least get 21-22 mpg. Any thoughts? I've sinced changed plugs (using platinum Autolites), and changed sparkplug wires. Before and after the trip my wife averages about 19-20 mpg combined city/hwy. It now has over 159k miles. I like it because it hauls all 6 of us with no problems - however the quality has been less than I expected. Simply been in the shop a bit more than I like.
  • dobbs2udobbs2u Member Posts: 3
    I have a 94 extended, 4.0L V6 auto trans, it has been great, bought it in 96 with 70k.kilometers, now has 192k.kilometers. Some minor repairs, radiator, ball joint, and regular routine main.
    I am wondering, is it possible to swap out the middle 2seater bench and replace it with the high back captains chairs? Would be much nicer on an upcoming long summer trip.
    Any info would be much appreciated.
    My 91 Aerostar (4WD w/ 4.0L engine) never got better than 19 mpg on oxygenated fuels, introduced in the mid-90s. Previously, mileage was 21 mpg... I'd think your mileage in the South should have been higher, without the oxygenates in the fuel. Maybe it was your roof rack luggage?

You may try a container of Techron fuel injector cleaner, to help clean up your valves...
  • dougd7dougd7 Member Posts: 71
    I'll try some injector cleaner. I figure I lost 1-2 mph with the roof luggage but I didn't figure on loosing another 2 mpg. Could have been the sparkplugs were worn enough to lose 2 mpg. I've lost 4 mpg on my 92 Acclaim when the plugs really wore out. Another thought is maybe the O2 sensor is getting long in the tooth and may need to be replaced. My Acclaim really dropped mpg when the O2 sensor went bad (almost undriveable). Around home our combined city/hwy mileage (80% hwy) is around 20 mpg - sometimes up to 21.

And about the oxygenated fuels - they only use it in the winter correct? So that shouldn't have been an issue. I remember getting fuel at Texaco (a truck stop in Alabama) and other convenience store type places. In fact at the Texaco I remember getting mid-grade fuel (91 octane) and not the regular 87 octane. Didn't seem to make a difference.

I just changed the oil/filter at 162k miles. Everything is good to go for another 5k miles.

Also the sliding door latch needs replacing. The spring that holds the top "hook" up when the door is open has broken and to close the door one has to make sure the hook is "up" before sliding the door closed. I haven't checked with our local mechanic as to cost. Any thoughts? TIA.
  • forceonedmforceonedm Member Posts: 1
    We have just bought the van and love it. Its huge compared to our Oldsmobile. Three things I am wondering about and hope someone has come across it before.. The sliding door jams about 6 inches from closed if not lifted slightly, it comes off the runner a bit. The dealer says I may have to have the runners replaced at up to $400 Cdn for parts. Any advice to save money? Next, the front wipers don't sweep fully, leaving about 4 inches un-wiped on the drivers side (somewhat annoying) and when they go down the passenger side wiper hits the plastic cowling making an annoying tapping sound. Surely this is not normal? Lastly, has anyone found they have a line that appears on their rear carpets right down the middle of the van that seems to be coming up through the carpet. Its not greasy, is slightly tacky and has no smell.
    Other than this we love the van, the size, power, comfort and pretty good handling for a truck.
  • calvinmecalvinme Member Posts: 1
    We have a 93 Aerostar 3.0L 4 speed auto trans.dual air conditioning. We had the air
    repaired at a Midas Muffler shop that advertised Air work in the news paper.
    The 93 used the old type of refrigerant that's been outlawed. So when the diagnosis
    said the compressor was bad they replaced compressor,accumulator,and coil to
    accommodate the new refrigerant. We think they did their job right.
    However it cools great sitting still or going 30 mph but when you accelerate
    or clime a hill or drive over 55 mph the air shuts off till the engine is no longer
    in a strain then it comes back on. does anyone have any suggestions as to
    what the problem might be?
    Thanks
    Calvin
  • stantontstantont Member Posts: 148
    The air shutoff under load may be normal; most cars do it at some time. It happens because the airflow control flappers in the heater/a.c. system are moved by engine intake manifold vacuum. When you open the throttle, the vacuum drops. There is a small vacuum accumulator under the hood (a black plastic reservoir on the firewall just below the back edge of the hood, with a vacuum hose connected by a one-way valve to the engine's intake manifold). On a sustained open-throttle run, like a long climb, the reservoir runs out of vacuum. Then all the flapper doors revert to "normal", which happens to be "heater" mode; all the front cold air gets sent to the front floor vents (if you are wearing sandals you can feel the sudden shot of cold air on your right foot). The rear air goes through the rear heater core instead of the rear a/c. All this time, the a/c compressor is still trying to cool, but there is no air flow through it to get to you. As soon as the throttle is closed again (steady cruise or idle or downhill), vacuum is restored and the air flappers again send air through the a/c core.

If your car does this whenever you open the throttle even briefly, then something is wrong with the vacuum accumulator system: either an air leak somewhere (bad vacuum hose), or perhaps a bad one-way valve. Our Aerostar does it on long climbs, where long means maybe a minute or longer; anything under that time it does not happen. Any sustained load makes it happen, so for example a long pull in D4 with a heavy trailer will do it.

Almost every car we've ever owned would do it on long mountain stretches, though the more powerful the car, the less it happened, since the engine wasn't pulling as hard on a given stretch. BTW, a downshift to D3 or even to second on really hard pulls would often spin the engine up just enough to restore vacuum, and the a/c would cool again.

Hope this helps!
    I just reread your note. The air shutoff I described should NOT happen at steady cruise at any speed; if it does, then there is definitely a vacuum leak somewhere. Since this just began after a/c work, I suspect some vacuum hose was either disconnected or plugged back into the wrong place, or has hardened with age and split when it was moved. If all else fails you could buy a bunch of vacuum hose and sytematically replace all the vacuum hoses on the engine. But do get a good diagram before you start to be sure all the hoses are put in the right place; I would definitely NOT assume they are all correct now.
  • mars101mars101 Member Posts: 1
    We have owned the 93 Aerostar Aerosport with the 4.0L engine for approx. 6 years. It has been a very dependable van. We have almost 300,000km's on it at present, when we purchased it there was almost 100,000km's on it. The body is still 100% rust free even with it seeing heavy winter use. We do oil spray it regularly. Aside from the regular maintenance and parts replacement, brakes,tires, etc, we have found little to complain about. We are still on the original power steering pump and air conditioner, both still work great.
    There is one thing however, I have been noticing the last couple of months. When I drive over rough road sections, such as railway crossings, I get a loud rattling and thumping noise. I have had the front end checked out by two reputable service centers and they claim everything is fine. There is nothing to indicate that the shocks may be bad as they seem to work fine, no front end diving or bouncing. The steering also appears to be tight, as there is no excessive steering wheel movement or wandering on the road. Any thoughts by anyone would be appreciated. I would like to fix this annoying noise as we plan to keep the van on the road for some time yet.
    You might have the shop check out the inner and outer tie rod ends; our '95 EXT with 130,000 miles needed them replaced this year. Steering felt just a tiny bit loose (less than 1 inch play at steering wheel rim), but it was enough to cause a rattle, and after the change, the steering felt noticeably more precise. Slow wear like that comes on gradually, so you tend not to notice it. For us, we suddenly noticed it when we got another car (a new Accord), and realized it's steering felt more precise than the van's.

BTW, Consumer Reports pans Aerostars for reliability, but ours has been excellent. The only repairs (other than normal maintenance) have been two sets of front brake rotors and pads, shocks, and a thermostat. And an annoying switch in the tailgate that kept telling us the tailgate was open when it wasn't. I finally cut the wire rather than spend money on an annoyance.

All else is original: a/c, steering, auto trans, engine, etc., etc. Paint is still excellent. And NO rust anywhere. The van has done yeoman's service, pulling a 2800-lb boat trailer and occasionally a very large U-Haul trailer (4500 lbs?). And I once carried 1700 lbs of building materials inside for a project at home....
  • dobbs2udobbs2u Member Posts: 3
    Just wondering, do you have the Aluminium Ford wheels with the removable centers?
    I was just driving our '94 Aerostar and while passing over a set of railway tracks the front wheel centers rattled very loudly.
    Just a thought.
This discussion has been closed.