Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• webguysterwebguyster Member Posts: 434
    I will go to another dealer, when time allows, but the nearest dealer is about 20 miles away, and they require appointments only, and will not provide a loaner car. I am probably going to have to pay for a loaner car, myself, and go to the other dealership, which is on a stretch of road, in a bad neighborhood, notorious for being BAD! Bad sales, bad service, just BAD period.
  • 99solara99solara Member Posts: 51
    Anyone running these new tires. They are available in the 205/60/16 stock size and wondered if they are worth considering. Thanks!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    I took these pics today of the 2002 Toyota Camry XLE if anyone is interested. Looks nice. Just go here- http://cartogra.com/home/home.asp and scroll down to where the blue box is that says- view a friend's album and type in my username- fastdriver

I tried to post another site here, but even though I was using the a href thing, I couldn't post the "invisible" link because of the 115 character limit! Maybe I was doing it wrong?

fastdriver
    Finally, another problem with my Solara that's not so bad. The blinking passenger light finally stopped working too!!! This car is a piece of @$^#!!!
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    It looks a lot like the 2002 ES300, too bad. GIANT headlights to detract from the car's lines, and the crisp look is gone, to be replaced by the "used bar of soap" roundy look. Oh well! Toyota's design center is supposed to be in Southern Calif. - What are they thinking??? Don't they look out the window? Ever been to Europe, guys?

Have you seen the new Lexus SC430? This is supposed to be a top-of-the-line luxury coupe? I'm sure it is a superb car, but re: the appearance, again, What were they thinking?????

Why is it that they design all these cars with wimpy rear ends, and then have to sell a spoiler with half of them to give the car some zip? Well, no problem - I surely won't be buying one!
    Toyota finally fixed something under warrenty!!! They replaced my visor, and mirror!!! Only after going through the discussion, "Did you pay for the part yet???" I just replied,"What is covered under the Bumper to Bumper Warrenty? Everything that breaks in this car is never under warrenty!" Lucky for me, there were 3 other grumpy people with similar warrenty issues, and I got it replaced under warrenty. The service advisor thought I was bringing in the car for someone else, as he just had another customer days before with the same minor problem. This visor doesnt lay flush with the roof, like the passenger visor, but is close enough. After wiping off all the grease on the new mirror, I was happy to have something fixed! While waiting, I heard another customer arguing with the service advisor about a problem she was having, with her car, and he said she had to bring him the TBS, and would not look it up. Shouldn't these guys have access to this info?

While waiting, a salesman tried to get me into the all new 2002 Toyota Camry! Even after going down my list of problems with Toyota, he was pretty persistant! Got to give him credit! I can only image what might lay in store for me if I bought 1 of the first ALL NEW CAMRY'S!

ON TO ANOTHER SUBJECT>>>
    Already been addressed, but with my 30,000 mile service just around the corner, the service guy tried to get me to do it now, at 28,000! We went over the list, and they want to replace the spark plugs, which are supposed to be platinium, in my 00 SE V6, and I thought they should last longer than 30,000 miles, as in other cars. That adds $90 something to the bill, and the LONGLIFE COOLANT, whick is the same coolant as the Dex stuff, only RED!?! Anyone agree or disagree about the coolant and spark plugs being changed. The coolant is $50.00, for flush and fill, and I don't think these things are necessary.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    automophile-

I think the new Camry looks like the ES 300 too. After I took those pics, I was looking through a recent issue of Motor Trend that featured the ES 300 and noticed how much the two cars looked alike. Then again, so MANY cars look alike. Just not like the old days at all anymore. I can't tell one year from another.

fastdriver
    Yeah, they all look alike - almost! My neighbors just brought home a new Volvo V70 T5. This is one SWEET, fast ride, and a very nice, ergonomic interior, and, it will never be mistaken for something else! Looks like a Volvo!
  • irontigerirontiger Member Posts: 20
    Does the 2001 Solara have heated seats? Also, does the passenger side seat power adjustable?
  • luvintelluvintel Member Posts: 7
    At times when I step on the brake the steering wheel vibrates. I have new tires. Brake pads are ok. Also, the other day while driving the dash light for the passenger airbag came on. When I stopped and restarted to car it disappeared. I have a 1999. Any ideas? Thanks
    Your steering wheel probably vibrates becasue your rotors are warped. Mine does this too, along with all my other minor problems with my 00 SE V6, but Toyota says that disc/disc are maintainance free, and they cant do anything about it, beacuse the warp is so minor that they would need to replace both rotors, as it cannot be detcted by a visual inspection, not covered under warrenty, but at cost to me! Mine has done this for the last 8-10,000 miles. I am at 28,000. I am not as aggressive driver as most, so I think I did not cause this with excessive stopping, or short stops, coming to a complete stop very quickly. Even with ABS I am still a brake pumper so as not to over heat the rotors, and warp them. Good luck!
  • pbcpbc Member Posts: 44
    While driving with the sun roof open (regardless of speed), if I hit a small bump or unevenness in the road I hear a creaking noise up in the sunroof area which has gotten louder and more annoying (part of the reason I bought the car was the fact that it is supposed to be so quiet inside even with the roof open). It sounds as if it needs to be oiled or something??

Has anyone else experienced this?
  • toddwolfetoddwolfe Member Posts: 3
    I've got the exact same problem, sounds like it is coming from the rear of the sunroof.
  • debrakdebrak Member Posts: 17
    Hello everyone and anyone! We just bought our new Solara yesterday and in reading the manual it says warning warning warning do not tint the back window as it will interfere with the radio. (okay, maybe not those EXACT words, but close!) I am wondering if this can possibly be true, as I see these cars all the time with windows tinted.. Anyone have tinted windows AND radio reception? :)
    thanks! Debbie
  • silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    I hear intermittent creaking, but have not ID'd the locale. Did you verify via a passenger's check for the source? I've randomly bounced around in my seat, emptied out the glove compartment and center console, and emptied out my coin box/armrests to no avail...
    I've compensated by turning up the stereo.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I think it'd be safe to tint your rear window, as long as you're sure that the tint film used doesn't contain any metallic ingredients. Try doing a bit of research about the brand of tint you'd like to install, or try asking your installer for advice.
    Okay Canc.. I asked my window tint shop and they do offer one type of film with NO metal so that is the one I will go with. All the higher grades contain metal so I will avoid them... thanks!
    debbie
    Be sure your'e not using a "cheap" film to be sure of no radio problems. There is reason that there are more expensive films. They look better, work better and last longer.

I had my windows tinted with a top - grade film and no radio problems. Check around, maybe you need to use a different tinter that uses different brands of film.

Also- As you may know, it is impossible to make the film adhere properly to the "dotted" section at the top of the window. It will always look terrible. To solved this problem, my tinter just "blacked out" the dotted part with totally dark "blackout film", and you never see it. It only cuts about 1/2" out of your view in the mirror - totally acceptable.
    Okay thank you.... I will check around different tinters to see what they offer in a higher grade film. I would rather spend more and have it look better and last longer, it is good to know you have had no problem with yours. Does your film contain metal? They are telling me they have 50% metal... 100% metal... etc.

I don't know exactly what you are talking about with the "dotted" section as we do not actually pick up the car until this Saturday as we had to leave it to have the alarm put in it and we are not local to the dealer. So, are you saying your tinter put "blackout film" on top of the regular film over the dotted part? I guess I am confused as to how blackout film would stick when regular film would not. If there is a trick to tinting this car though, I would definitely appreciate knowing what it was! :) Thank you so much, debbie
  • decondecon Member Posts: 56
    Another place the sound could be coming from is

1) The passenger seat in some positions create noise

2) The seat belt release squeaks
    I have gone into the dealership several times to fix things.

1) Driver's side window too high, prevents closing. Brought it in 3 times. First time was regulator, second time was pitch, third time was window stopper. No problems since third time, knock on wood.

2) Driver's side door makes noises when opening. Lubricated doors at the dealer twice, still have some noise.

3) Now I have the rocking seat upon acceleration. Hasn't gotten too bad, if it gets worse or I get over 30K miles I will get it fixed.

What about you guys?
    99.9% sure it's coming from the sunroof. I need to go for my 36,000km service next week so I'll get them to check it. Unfortunately when your car is under warranty, service departments are always inclined to tell you nothing is wrong or that the sounds are normal, or that the left pull is normal, or that the fact that water seeps into your car during a no touch car wash is normal due to the high pressure of the water, or that the popping sounds I hear from the left side front speakers are normal and I just need to adjust my bass down into the negative levels, etc.

I'm sure when my warranty expires next year suddenly these problems will all become real and they'll say they can easily fix them. Of course, for a high price!
  • jjstokes0430jjstokes0430 Member Posts: 16
    Automobile manufacturers and dealers take notice. I am about to buy a new vehicle. I am a lifelong GM customer and would like a higher quality more refined vehicle. I was seriously considering a Toyota, but after reading these posts I think I will stick to my GM cars. Not the most trouble free perhaps but dealer always does a good job and so far on the first visit. So customer opinion does matter even if the customer is a little guy.
  • jraysjrays Member Posts: 20
    to jjstokes0430:

I too had always owned American cars before buying my Solara, but I've never been sorry for a day about my switch to Toyota. I've had my Solara for a year and a half, with ZERO problems. I enjoy driving my car and I still get compliments on its looks.

These forums are notorious for being negative. When things are going great, not many of us take the time to tell anyone, but just let something go wrong and we're ready to start a war! No manufacturer is going to make a perfect car and there are some of us who have had better luck than others, but if you want to take the safe bet, go with Toyota. When I had GM cars, I totally expected things to break and break often. I was not disappointed. It's so nice now to be able to enjoy a car, knowing that the quality is built in and I will be able to enjoy this car for a long time.

Unfortunately, not all service departments are created equal. One good thing about having a reliable car is rarely having to visit the service department. You have to stick to your guns. If something is broken, MAKE them fix it. Don't leave unsatisfied. If you have to speak to your salesman or the manager, then do it. They have nothing to lose, but you do, if you don't take matters into your own hands.

I don't speak for everybody, but I urge those who have a Solara and are enjoying it to speak up also. It's nice to hear about problems, but it seems a little one-sided lately.

jjstokes0430 I hope you will do yourself a favor and at least drive and research the Solara before making up your mind.

jrays
    2000 Red/Silver SLE
  • gdanczykgdanczyk Member Posts: 26
    jjstokes0430- I'd have to agree with jrays that you are doing yourself a big disservice by not considering Toyota based on some of these posts. I am reminded how great a car the Solara is every time I rent a GM vehicle. There is absolutely no comparison to the quality of the materials, ride, engine or (in my opinion) looks. But, if you really like your GM service dept, go ahead and buy GM, I'm sure you'll see them often. :)
    I can honestly say I rarely check these boards unless I want to post a problem, and I'd guess that most people do the same. I'd still go with the Solara again (well, maybe the Acura 3.2CL b/c I like the look better but it wasn't around when I bought the Solara and cost a good deal more!).

I don't think I'll ever buy Domestic again. I used to own a Ford, fairly reliable but the ride was nothing compared to the Toyota. My friend owns a Grand Am and is extremely envious. I listen to the problems he's having with his car (brake pads replaced every 20,000km, car doesn't start occasionally unless he opens and slams the door, key occasionally doesn't work, wear and tear caused damage to his Control Arm which now needs to be replaced!?!?!) are incredible. I mean, I'm complaining about very small items that just annoy me b/c everything else about the car is great! And you'd be hard pressed to find many service departments that are great when it comes to fixing things that are under warranty. Like I said, I'm sure when the warranty expires, I'll suddenly get great service every time I go in!!

But then again, supposedly Domestic cars have almost caught up to Imports and for the price difference it may be worth while to buy a domestic if you like the way it looks, etc. better. I'm just saying don't buy b/c there are a lot of complaints in this forum, go to the Chrysler 300M forum or any Domestic car forum and I garauntee you'll find even more complaints and more serious ones at that!!
    Hi Debbie:
    To answer your tint questions -
    Type of tint - I will call my EXCELLENT tinter (N of L.A.) and ask him what brand they are using - for your comparison.
    Dots - Regular tint does not stick evenly to the dotted area, as it is dots of paint on the glass (used to offer some shading to the top of the window). It always looks bad. The blackout film totally hides the dots so they don't show at all - from inside or outside.

jjstokes0430 - You must not read the GM boards! To be frank, I will no longer even RENT GM cars! I travel a lot and rent cars often. GM cars have been horrible, noisy and unreliable, even compared to the rest of the domestic junk offered by the rental companies. Before you buy ANY car - go rent one for a day that has 10,000 miles on it. You will see what it will be like down the road. You might be very surprised at how fast some cars deteriorate.

The comments above are right - these forums are sounding boards, usually for people with problems. Posters usually don't take the time to say "Gee, my car is so great I have nothing to complain about!" What I see here on the Solara board is NOTHING compared to most other forums!

By the way, my Solara is so great that I have nothing to complain about! Well - Maybe the A/C is too cold sometimes, and the ride is so quiet that my attention wanders a little when driving, listening to the JBL sound system. It never requires any repairs, so I sometimes forget to take it in for regular service.
    Thanks automophile... I appreciate the info. I spoke with our local dealer here today and they say they do window tinting in their service dept so I will probably take it there because if nothing else at least I know they have tinted Solaras before. We are south of LA (orange county) and can't wait to pick up our car Saturday! thx again debbie
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168
    Howdy All:

It's true that if everything is going well with your vehicle, you are not as likely to mention it as you would be with a problem you might be having.

I am going on 16 months with my 2K SLE (MoonRoof, Traction, Side Air Bags, In-Dash 6 Disk changer, Mats) and look forward to driving it everyday. I've had no trouble/problems with it and the only times that I've been back to the dealership was to pick up new oil filters at the parts dept. It may not be the most agile car, but it's smoothness, quiet demeanor and refined attitude confirm that I purchased the best car in it's class. I recently test drove a new 2001 Lexus ES300 for comparison and the Solara is so close in many ways - almost as smooth and quiet as the ES300. I found that the seats in my Solara are more comfortable, but the interior of the ES300 was beautiful and very luxurious - definitely more upscale that the Solara.

It has been said that no manufacturer makes a 'perfect' car, which is true, but (IMHO) Toyota/Lexus are at the pinnacle of automotive quality and continue to offer a diversifed product line to satisfy most buyers. You pay a bit more up front for that quality but since time is money to me, it's a good investment (as automobiles are concerned).

Anyway, I just wanted to share a positive experience regarding my Solara and to those considering one, just go drive one and then compare!

Best regards -

M. J. McCloskey
  • vz18wpvz18wp Member Posts: 20
    I am a certified car junkie! And QUALITY and DESIGN are my major concerns.

My 1999 Solara SE is a wonderful automobile (and I've had quite a number, including GM and Honda). It is (for me) a great automobile! It's quiet, solid, has sufficient performance and most of all is well designed inside and out. It is "Lexus-like", only not as expensive!

I'd buy another tomorrow (except I plan on keeping this one for 4 or 5 more years)!!!!

34,000 miles and still as smooth as the day I drove it off the dealer lot!
  • toddwolfetoddwolfe Member Posts: 3
    It's not the seat or belts - it only happens when the sunroof is open (either tilted up or slid back) and is coming from above and behind my head. It could be something in the sunroof mechanism, although I've tried holding onto all the visible parts at the rear of the opening to see if I could stop it (tricky to do while you're driving over bumps) and it didn't seem to be any of those - sounds like the noise is coming from inside the roof, behind the opening. Not a big deal, doesn't really make any noise while I'm driving around, just on the really bumpy street in front of my house. Loud music does compensate quite well. Absolutely love my car, it is 2 years old now and I would recommend one to anybody.
    The rocking seat problem is attributed to a loose bolt under the car, for the cars with the TBS. My rocking seat problem is ongoing, and does have a quick, temporary fix. I just move the drivers side all the way forwards, and the back support all the way back, then back to normal position. I get about 4-6 hours of no rocking, then something slips out of place, and it's the same thing again. I finally had a service advisor, and mechanic tell me this is common, but Toyota has not released anyhing about it, but they hear about it all the time. My passeneger seat plays a a little song, when all the way back, and at highway speeds, with some springs rattling, but again, no fix available, just wear and tear, and don't move the seat all the way back! The mechanic told me it is because it's a 2 door car, and the seat gets moved more than a 4 door car!?! I rarely have passengers, and rarely in the back seat, so thats a crock. He also tried to convince me that the seats are not the same as in Camry, although they look identical to our 99 Camry, except for color and upholstry, he says they are different, so that is not a good comparison for me to use???

I will agree, that compared to American cars, that my Toyota is of better build quality, and I have a friend that just bought a Chevy, and with 1,500 miles, is already running ROUGH!!!

On a positive side, for the person considering Solara, it is as smooth as the day I drove it off the lot, but still pulls left, regardless, of alignment, inverting tires, switching tyres, rotating tires, etc. The mechanic that drove it this last visit for a brake inspection noticed it, and recommended an alignment. I have had at least 6 alignmensts, at Toyota, and Sears, 2 in 1 day, and the problem never goes away completely, or if it is almost gone, quickly returns. I declined the alignment, as the last one I had was about 4,000 miles ago, and I have either got used to it, or a few good Chicago pot holes made it go straighter than the last alignment.

My good points for Solara...
    *Looks nice, very conservative, yet stylish!
    *Peppy V6!
    *Tranny not as bad as Edmunds video says!
    *Great factory JBL!
    *No wind noise.
    * Full size spare.(Without Alloy rim)

BAD POINTS...
    * Always pulls left!
    * Poorest quality paint I have ever had on any car!!!
    *Toyota Customer Service is useless!
    * Difficut getting anything fixed under warrenty.(Maybe my dealer)
    * No remote control trunk release.
    * HORRIBLE on any street with any bumps, but great on smooth roads.
    * Seems to invite door dings, made more visible by the smooth lines of the car, but fixable at any Dent place, for $$$.
    * Only car I have ever owned, that the carpet doesnt fit correctly, and pops out on passenger side always, even on the 99 Camry. Toyota offered to glue it!?!

Oh yeh???

Anyone know why their is a little piece of sponge in the top of the radiator? Mine is tearing, and I think it is unnecessary! Seems more like a fire hazzard, to have a flamable looking material on a HOT surface.
  • bezaharbezahar Member Posts: 20
    The one thing that I've noticed on my Sunroof is that the sliding cover is a little loose. Occasionally a strong wind will cause the slider to vibrate. The only thing that I've come up with to help a little is to push it back some, it tends not to go all the way back when you auto open it. Not sure if putting the wind screen back on might help this, but I prefer not having it on.

00 SEV6 manual.
  • scsolarascsolara Member Posts: 47
    I love my Solara. The peppy V-6 with the Kazuma supercharger makes for the perfect sleeper. I have suprised many a Mustangs both on the street and on the track. The 5sp manual with the TRD shifter make a great combination! The service is dependant soley on the dealership. I have had the knock sensor replaced, the ac lines replaced (after the S/C ate through them), the wiring harness relocated...ALL UNDER WARRANTY! They even gave me a free rental when I had the service done (for free). I love Sterling McCall Toyota, and I love my Solara. I turn heads all the time, and always have people ask me what kind of car it is. I have even had people think it was a Lexus (I have shaved the Toyota emblems). The only annoying thing is how the coolant spills out on to the resivoir. I try to keep my engine bay clean, and this is always a pain to keep clean! The following pics are before shaving the emblems.

http://users.ev1.net/~gunpilot/intake

If there is a loose bolt, how does this temporary adjustment fix it?

Can't we get a permanent fix while still under warranty?

What did you guys get serviced at 30,000 miles? Would you reccomend dealer serviced or non-dealer?
  • netspidernetspider Member Posts: 1
    Why do you say Solara is horrible on street with bumps? can you be more specific? thank you
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I checked out your Solara page... nice pics.

How much HP and torque does your modified Solara have?
  • wree7777wree7777 Member Posts: 26
    I love the diamond white pearl (DWP) paint, but have heard of (and seen) the problem where the bumper and side trim of Solaras with DWP are a different color because of painting on plastic vs metal. So far, I haven't seen any new Solaras with this problem, but have seen a used 2000 Solara that very clearly had this problem. Does anyone know whether this occurs over time, or if the car is even-colored when it is new, will it stay that way? Thanks for any info you can share!
    Has anyone test driven the new 2002 4 cyl VVTi 157 hp engine yet? I test drove a Camry LE (not Solara) automatic today in order to see whether it was noticeably better than the 2001 Solara 4 cyl (134 hp). I was pretty impressed with the new Camry and the new engine. I'm no fan of automatics, but the shifting was very smooth and it seemed to have plenty of get up and go even with an automatic. I'm looking for a manual, so that should be even better.
  • scsolarascsolara Member Posts: 47
    Go to http://www.toyotaparts4u.com/solara_&_camry_supercharger.htm

to read about the Solara S/C gains. I am waiting to get a Apexi SAFC installed and dyno tuned to see the true results.
    The loose bolt is under the car, and the way the dealer checked it, was with a long socket wrench, looking thing, while the car was up on the rack. The loose bolt is probably the TSB for the 99 Solara's, but it is not whats causing my rocking seat. Something in the seat assembly seems to slip, and then I get the rocking effect from the back of the seat or possibly the seat itself, always on the right side. The way I do my temp-fix, is to just move the seat all the way forward, and the back all the way backwards, then move back to driving configuration. Seems to work for hours, but then, out of nowhere, it moves again. My main concern is that at some point this problem may get worse, and out of nowhere, the seat my collapse backwards, while I am driving. Paranoid, maybe, but I have never had a car that did this, but do not keep my cars long enough to have this type of "wear and tear"! For 30,000 miles, I fianally got the service man to break down and say no spark plug change or long life coolant replacement is required. I did the brake servcie, which was even unnecessary, as the mechanic says I have 70% percent remaining, and wont need to replace the pads for a long time. I will change the trans fluid, and differential. and air filter. I won't drop another $90 for an alignment, as the alignments within Toyota specs, always seem to make my car pull WORSE to the left, unless they specifically adjust the caster camber to the right, or out of specs.

A permenant fix for the rocking chair seems to be obtainable for everyone else in the forum, but not for me.

NETSPIDER....

The ride of Solara is fine on newly paved streets, but drive on a street with any pots holes, of patches, which are common throughout the Chicagoland area, and the front end of the car becomes unstable, and it feels as if the struts are not absorbing any of the road feel, futhermore, sending the dash into a horrific rattle noise, as if the car drove into a curb or over a parking lot piling. It feels as if someone has picked up the front end of the car a foot and dropped it to the ground. Then, all is well again until the next irregularlty in the road. And don't hit a bump, of any size, whicle entering or exiting an expressway, without holding the steering wheel for dear life, as it will snap out of your hand, back to center, probably an enhancment over the Camry, as the 99 Camry doesn't do this. Now with the fall, and winter returning, I am curious to see if the squeeky rear end reappears, despite lubing everything up.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    there was a rocking chair in jed clampett's truck on the way to californ-ee. granny sat in it. so solara's not the first.
    Discoloration - The problem is that chemicals in the polyurethane bumpers slowly bleed into the paint, discoloring it. My White paint was fine at first, and slowly discolored over about a year, and now has not changed for a long time. My dealer said they woudn't fix it, but I haven't tried at another dealer. It seems that the paint should be warranted as well, yes? According to the Forums, Lexus dealers have been re-painting with no quarrels. Ya get what ya pay for, yes?

My body shop said that this is common for almost all cars with light colored paint, and only Honda seems to have a way to control this. Most likely the second coat of paint would be OK.

Poor Ride over bumps - webguyster - Where the heck are you driving? At what speed? My Solara is just fine, even a little better than my last few cars over any type of street. Of course I don't go over Chicago type potholes at high speed. If that's what you want to do, you need to be driving a Hummer with oversized tires, not a car.
    Automophile, thanks for the explanation. When looking at new cars, the dealers say they've never heard of this discoloration but it would be covered under warranty. When looking at used cars with this problem or with paint chipping problems, they tell me that the paint is covered under warranty (almost seems like they said 5 years rather than 3 yrs..), but I don't trust them to honor that especially since they haven't gone ahead and done it. On the used V6, perhaps I could make repainting of the trim and bumpers part of the deal if you think the bleed through has stopped after a year and a half or so. (The car is an early 2000 model.)
  • silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    Sonuvagun - it was the headrest that was creaking! Discovered this over the weekend. Sorry about the unnecessary posts. Then again, my head does weigh in excess of fourteen pounds... and that's just the hair...
    :)
    The Hummer is not a practical car, even for Chicago! According to your bio, Automophile, you are from L.A., and from living in L.A. for years, the Hummer is a good choice there, but not here! L.A. has places to park big cars/trucks, but we do not have that in Chi Town. I drive normal, to 10-15 above posted speed limit, and the car takes to bumps terribly. On smooth roads, it's fine. In L.A. there are more smooth roads, due to the lack of snow, and salt in winter. I just drive with the flow, and on occasion get a big jolt, from a small hole in the road, not found in any other car I have owned. Struts were checked, and checked out fine. 1999 Camry doesn't exibit this harsh of a ride over bumps, and God forbid a speed bump at any speed!!! With all my minor gripes about the car, I am glad i did not get the pearl white, which was my first choice, but I did not want the leather, and the dealer only had the SLE, and I opted for the SE package #4! I did make the mistake of getting black, which shows every defect and blemish, and believe me, there are many blemishes in the hood. I am on my 2nd bottle of touch up paint, and even have tried Cliffy's suggestion of using a Sharpy marker. Makes a blue/ black color when dry. Not a good suggestion. Now what's up with the headrest squeeking!?! I hope I am not next, as this is one of the few parts of the car not defective, yet! Coin box is begining to go, and I don't even put coins in it.
    webguyster - I lived in Chicago for a while - in the city near Wrigley Field! Great place, if you can survive the winters!

You really have my sympathies- Your car seems to have all the problems that the rest of us DON'T have! I hope that your luck is better next time.

Noted your comment, but a Hummer is NEVER a good choice for a car, unless you are chasing Saddam Hussein. They are only driven by egomaniacs that can't find a car big enough to show off with! Yes, there are a lot of them around here driven by media idiots. Ever been in one? There is barely room for 4 people, although it takes up 2 parking places!
  • nori10nori10 Member Posts: 24
    I agree with webguyster about going over the bumps. I live in upsate ny where some roads are terrible due to the salt. When ever I go more then 30mph over this small bumps and cracks, I feel like my solara's 4 tires are never touching the road and feel very unstable. When turning in these road my back tires actually lifts up a bit and wobbles around.This never happened to my previous civic. I guess that's just the way solara's are. But I still appreciate the smoothness nonetheless.
    How realistic have you found Edmunds *new* car TMV prices to be? I just had a salesman tell me that the dealership's cost on a 2002 Solara v6 SE 5sp was ~$2K over invoice and that he needed to make at least a 4% profit over that! When I brought out my Edmunds-based numbers he actually hung up on me in the middle of a sentence! I'm pretty sure his price was quite high, but was mine too low? Because Edmunds doesn't have the 2002 prices out yet, I based my offer on earlier 2001 printouts (prior to their Sept drop in price) showing ~$300 profit over invoice and added that to the invoice & dest charge for 2002 that I found on KBB. Amazingly, today he called back and left a message offering me a 2000 model. Thought that took a lot of gall after how he treated me last time. Wouldn't do business with him if he had the only car on earth that I wanted! Anyway, back to the subject: Edmunds new car TMV's tend to be about $300 over invoice, but in an Accord Coupe board post, someone said that $600 over invoice was a really good deal and someone else said they run near invoice at the beginning of the year. Are there other comments on what's a reasonable range and how it varies over the course of the year? I'm going to go test drive a 2002 4cyl SE 5sp about 120 miles from here tomorrow so I could use some input soon! Thanks!
    How risky is it to buy the first model year of a brand new engine (the new 4cyl VVTi in the Solara)? This one I'm going to go test drive tomorrow seems to be the 1st manual VVTi to come to this 5-state region in a 4cyl 5sp Solara, so it's probably one of the first ones made...

Also, what experiences have people had with getting Toyota to repaint discolored diamond white pearl bumpers? Have you gotten any resistance when you asked?