Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• greg32greg32 Member Posts: 48
    Our 97 Venture just developed a problem with the power steering. It seems to go out for a few
    seconds while accelerating through 10 mph. This has happened 3 or 4 times over the last week. The fluid level looks fine. I haven't checked the maintenance schedule. Should this fluid be replaced at certain mileage? We did just have the oil changed and fluids checked. I'm starting to wonder if they dropped some dirt into the system or worse put the wrong fluid in it.
  • greg32greg32 Member Posts: 48
    Our problem was the Rack and Pinion steering unit failed. A cap was broken where the steering column bottoms out. This failure has 18 complaints at the NHSTA site! I'm sure other people have had this problem. The mechanic thinks its a bushing inside the rack and pinion unit that is failing. Be careful since this problem can cause the steering to lock up and potentially cause an accident.

If you have had the problem please complain to the NHSTA so Chevy will fix it.
  • fear_hopefear_hope Member Posts: 90
    Does anyone have the full text to these TSB's:

00-00-89-027A JAN 02 Interior - New Odor Elimination Product
    01-01-38-011 OCT 01 A/C System - Proper Use to Achieve Maximum Cooling
    02-08-56-001 FEB 02 PASS-KEY III - Revised Relearn Procedure
    00-08-64-007 JUN 00 Front Door Window - Inoperative/Slow or Noisy

If so would you post here or e-mail to me at barnes_w@email.com? I am having problems with these items.
    Thanks!
  • dadofchampdadofchamp Member Posts: 15
    The gas tank door on my 99 Venture will no longer close. When you push it closed, it springs back open about two inches. Not enough to stop the sliding door from opening, but enough that it scraps along the inside of the door as the door slides past.

The service contract company (API) is calling it a "body part" so they don't want to cover it, while I claim it's the internal spring, not the door itself. The door is not broken, the closing mechanism is. They suggest I have it diagnosed and then call them when I know specifically what is wrong and they'll make their final decision then.

Has anybody seen this before? Does anybody know if I can access the spring and fix it myself? Thanks!
  • m257257m257257 Member Posts: 8
    With baby #4 on the way, we just bought our first mini-van, an 8-passenger Bronzemist 2002 Venture LS with a few options. MSRP was around $29.3k, but with the GMS pricing I got through my employer, the $4000 cash rebate, and almost $2200 in GM Card earnings, we got the van for about $20.5k before sales tax. We're talking almost Kia Sedona prices here! It seemed like a fabulous bargain to us and we've been quite happy with it so far, though it's only been a week.

My one gripe is that there is no feedback, be it flashing parking lamps or a horn honk, when we use the keyless remote to lock the van. Apparently you have to purchase the Safety & Security Package to get this feature, which we didn't get. Didn't realize this until after the purchase as the remotes were never produced until after the sale, and we never thought to ask about this. We had a keyless remote on the Malibu that this Venture is replacing, and it would provide a feedback honk if you pressed the lock button a second time. I figured this was a standard feature, but apparently not. It's annoying, as I now have to stand close enough to the van to hear the locks engaging so I can walk away assured it's locked up. That kind of defeats the purpose of having the keyless remote, as I may as well have used the power locks on the door if I'm right there.

We've also found a bunch of rubberbands socked away in the weirdest places, like inside the side view mirror housings. I presume they aren't there to serve any function. What's up with that?
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    I'm sure your noiseless remote will be appreciated by others who won't be bothered by a honk if they happen to pass your vehicle while you're locking it.

As a van owner for 8+ years I can assure you that you don't have to lose any sleep over anyone stealing it.

I can only speculate on the rubber bands; maybe GM's idea of a new fastener!!
  • maureen11maureen11 Member Posts: 1
    I'm buying a used venture ls 1998 (probably today), it appears in very good, in fact excellent condition. It has 2 a/c, power door, is full equiped. The price is 13 000 Canadian and it only has 8000 km !! I'm buying from a dealer. I'm worried that it having so little mileage could unforeseen problems arise (example seals, exhaust). Also I've read alot on your message board about mostly good qualities what I want to know is the bad, and what problems I should specifically check for... Please helps me here. Thanks all and have a beautiful day
    Did anyone who bought a Venture with the Rear Audio Controls receive 2 sets of headphones as part of the system? We didn't realize until after we drove our Venture home that we didn't get any headphones. The dealer we bought the van from insists that headphones don't come with the Rear Audio Controls option, despite what the brochure and GM's website says. Quoting from Chevy's website:

"The optional dual-mode audio system with two sets of headphones lets you listen to one audio component in the front seat while rear passengers listen to another. So, you can catch traffic updates while your kids in the back listen to their favorite CD. And if you want to take it a step further, upgrade to tri-mode audio. It's standard on Warner Bros. Edition models."

Sure sounds like headphones should have come as part of the package to me. So am I getting jerked around by our dealership or are they telling me the truth?
  • redwings1958redwings1958 Member Posts: 3
    NO they don't come with the van, but Chevy will send you them in the mail in about two weeks. BTW the dual audio is a real sanity saver on long trips with kids(it sure saved me)
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to keep my eye on my mailbox.

I just have the standard stereo/CD player in my Venture LS, and had been toying with the idea of replacing it with an MP3/CD player. Would typical after market players accomodate the dual audio controls or will I have to find a specially equipped one to maintain the rear audio controls?
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    My answer to this question is...ask it over at www.Crutchfield.com.
  • dorene2dorene2 Member Posts: 28
    I have been searching for the "right" mini van for our family. I have been struggling with getting Honda to give me a fair price along with a trade-in! I am exhausted and decided to take a look at some American models. I was attracted to the Venture with Warner Bros. package. Looks like a real bargain on Carsdirect. Does anyone have any feedback or suggestions. I never realized the number of models they had available! DO
    Well I asked over at Crutchfield's, and was told I'd have to use an FM modulator to play an MP3/CD player through the radio in my Venture if I wanted to maintain my rear audio controls. Thought I'd pass the info on...
  • dennie4dennie4 Member Posts: 24
    I have a 2000 Warner Brothers Venture. I have had a problem for a couple of years with odor from the air conditioner. I took it back twice this summer. They finally installed a blow-by unit. It runs the blower for a few seconds after you shut off the Van. It does it several times to dry out the coils or whatever is causing the smell. I'm not sure how well this works, what I have found is that if I leave the Air Conditioner on all the time,even when I shut the car off, it seems to cut down on the smell. I have seen a couple of posts about a fix for this problem. I wonder if the blow by unit is it, or is it another type of fix. I am eventually going to have to turn off the air conditioner and I am sure the smell will come back. Other than that I have only had a few small problems so far. The van has 26000 miles on it. A lot of the postings seem to mention problems around 35000 miles. I also wonder after reading some of these problem, if dealer incompetence isn't the reason. The dealer I use seems to be on top of things and has fixed the few problems with my Van. They seem to always check with GM and then use the best solution. Any way I am very happy with both the Van and my Dealer so far. Two of my neighbors bought Vans the same week I did. One Honda, One Chyrsler and my Venture. I would have to say all three of us have only had what I would say were minor problems. I still think I recieved the best value for the money I spent, especially over the Honda.
    Dorene2, I don't know how much comparison shopping you have done. When we bought our 2000 Warner Brothers Venture we spent a good month checking out the competition. Honda's were in short supply and expensive. Chysler did not want to deal. And the Windstar was not an option after reading the posts on townhall. I think for the money the Chevy was and probably still is the best value. When we were looking the Venture site here on Townhall had the least amount of complaints and problems. As I have said in the previous post, we are happy with our Venture. It rides nice, quiet, lots of power, has a superb sound system (even better now). And has been able to haul all the people and cargo I have wanted to.
    "I'd have to use an FM modulator to play an MP3/CD player through the radio"
    Same for my Camaro, and the same for my daughter-in-law's Civic. She says it works great, she's happy.
    I can't speak about the Warner Bros version, but our 99 Venture has 52,000 miles, only trip to the dealer was to replace worn front brake pads. A completely reliable car, and still a pleasure to own.
    This is a very informative post about this problem from another board:

Where to start.. by wwest Aug 08, 2002 (01:55 pm)
    Mold, mildew, dirty gym sock odors, windshield fogging.

These have always been a problem ever since air conditioning started being used in cars.

At the heart of any A/C system is the evaporator, cooling heat exchanger. Liquid refrigerant is "injected" into the inside of this heat exchanger and as "warm" airflow is forced over the outside the refrigerant inside "boils" as it absorbs the outside airflow's warmth. The result is the outside airflow can be cooled as low as 33F. The liquid refrigerant "injection" rate is metered in various ways so the the evaporator's cooling surfaces do not decline below freezing.

Cold air cannot sustain, hold, as much moisture (gaseous water, water in the atmosphere as a gas) as warm air, so oftentimes as the A/C system cools the airflow its relative humidity level rises to saturation and that results in the gaseous water condensing out of the airflow and onto the evaporator cooling surfaces as dew.

This is why the evaporator's temperature cannot be allowed to decline below 33F, if it did the condensate would freeze and the evaporator would then be blocked to all airflow. The chamber, plenum, containing the evaporator is provided with a water drain near the bottom so as the moisture accumulates into larger and larger dropplets they can flow freely out the drain.

Note that as long as the A/C operates and the incoming outside airflow's relative humidity is high enough the building of condensate levels on the evaporator surfaces is a continuing, continuous, process.

So when you drive into your garage in the evening and shut the A/C system down there will always remain a thin film of condensate on those surfaces. And that thin film of condensate will remain in place until the A/C plenum temperature rises to a level, and for a long enough period, for the condensate to begin to evaporating.

Note that if there is no substantial airflow route, convection or otherwise, the atmosphere within the plenum will be super-saturated with moisture when you start the car up the next morning.

Bacterial (mold and mildew) growth. These bacteria thrive mightily, multiply at an tremendous rate, in a damp and dark environment that remains at 55 to 70F for relatively long periods, say Tucson or Phoenix at night in the summertime.

Then in the early ninties automotive manufacturers started converting their A/C system from freon to the LESS EFFICIENT r-134a, and the mold and mildew and windshield fogging problem has been like a snowball rolling downhill ever since, gathering speed and mass as it goes.

more...
    Speed and MASS.

Since R-134a is less efficient than the freon it replaced, the loss of efficiency had to be overcome somehow.

I'll use my 1992 LS400 as an example. My 1984 T-bird's A/C evaporator had approximatly 2500 square inches of heat exhanging, metal cooling surface area. The 1992 LS400's evaporator had over 10,000 square inches of metal cooling surface area (the LS was not converted to R-134a until later, but Lexus advised me that the A/C system had been designed even with the first LS model with the conversion to R-134a in mind)

At about the same time a passenger airbag was added and then an in-dash CD changer/player. So at about the same time the A/C evaporator had to become more complex to make up for the loss of refrigerant efficiency it was also growing more compact.

On browsing the internet you will find that Ford, if you complain mightily, will "cure" the mold and mildew odor problem by installing a product like, or maybe this actual product"

http://www.airsept.com/eed.html

I understand that many Saturn models come from the factory equipped with an equivalent device.

End

As a fix GM is also installing a similar device. I had it done and it helps, but does not stop the odor completely. The above link has explains a temp fix that is supposed to last 3 years. Involves coating the coils with a chemical spray. GM is not using this fix, however, so if you want it installed you will have to find a shop to do it and pay...oh well. I don't like it, but I've learned to live with it. When I get in I blow it out on high for about 1-2 minutes and the odor disappears until the next day. Good luck!

Fear Hope, Thanks for the very interesting post. Gm did put that same type of device on my Van. And your right it helps but does not completely get rid of odor. I looked at the dealer charge on this blow-by unit. The slip said it was around $500. But in this case it was covered under warranty, a lot of money in my opinion. You can see why they only put it in as a last resort when you complain loud enough. I had to go back three times before they would install one. I also found at Advance Auto a product you spray into the air intake in the glove box. Its from Next Dimension and is called Air Conditioned Treatment. It has a lemon fragrance and seemed to help with the odor. They say to use up to once a month for optimal control. The only problem I had was they only had, one can and have not received more in as yet. You have to wonder it this is not a health problem. I have seen several reports in the last few weeks on mold and bacteria that have been making people sick.
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    Re last post on spray into vents, and I had seen this at the auto store, but having had the odor in our 2000 Venutre did not consider buying.

Occured to me that something like Lysol which kills bacteria maybe more useful.

We mainly run on open vent for the air, and only occasionly use the re circulation system. Does this have any impact on the odor more or less smell. ?
    Re last Post: I asked the same question to Dealer. They stated to leave on fresh or outside mix all the time. They said this would get fresh air in the air conditioner and cut down on the smell. I never found that to be the case. I found I had the smell either way. I also think Lysol might work. But I would go into the glove box, pull the filter and spray into the intake. Also make sure and turn on AC. I'm thinking this is a much cheaper way to go. If you have good results, let us know.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's an interesting thread on A/C, mold, etc. starting with this post:

wwest "Mazda Tribute/ Ford Escape problems" Aug 8, 2002 1:55pm

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    We always turn off our A/C a couple minutes before we get to wherever we're going, but leave the ventilation fan running to evaporate whatever condensation there may be in the A/C unit. Yes, it's annoying to put up with warm air at the end of a drive, but we've found it to be an effective deterrent (and a better alternative) to A/C funk.
    Thanks again the heads up, redwings1958. My headphones arrived in yesterday's mail. Ironically, we got a call a few days ago from the dealership we bought the Venture from, saying they were going to cut us a check for $100 to cover the missing headphones. LOL!
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    In my post 1271, should have said ...but not having had the...

The other place I thought of is the cabin filter compartment. I understand that all air comes through these filters and if not changed regularly could cause odor. Next time I change, will see if can spray up there as well.
    2003 pricing is now live:

2003 Chevrolet Venture

Steve

Host

• danz28danz28 Member Posts: 19
    Got my wife the 2002 Venture and we love it. Like all Chevy products, you get a lot of car for not much money. Although it doesn't have the HP of say a Honda Odyssey, it's lighter and more agile, so it can more than hold it's own. Plus, it came with a ton of features (drivers' and pass. sliding doors), auto pass sliding door, On-Star, CD player, etc.

We will see how it holds up. She got rid of her junky Chevy Astro. Never understood that vehicle. The Chevy Lumina APV was Chevy's 'new' minivan, yet they continued to make the Astro, even when the Lumina APV was replaced by the Venture.

When does the next Venture come out anyway? Platform?
  • simmerin1simmerin1 Member Posts: 1
    I relied on this messageboard as a source of input into my decision as to which minivan to purchase, so I thought I should make a contribution as to my impressions after the purchase.

We bought a 2001 Venture plus, with roof rack, rear heat/air, and deluxe sound system in May 2001. We are going on 15,000 miles and the performance has been completely trouble free. We love this vehicle. The design and features are very well thought out. The ride is great and the seats are comfortable.

In my opinion it is much more solidly built and better designed than it's competition (at least the few we looked at). The Chrysler is OK and the Toyota Siena (consumer reports top rated van) is an unimpressive tin can as far as I'm concerned.

Everyone has their own experiences, but we are very happy with our purchase. So far, this van has just been great!
    Thanks for the post - it's always nice to hear from owners with some months and miles on their vans.

Steve
    Host
    Y'all sound like my family with its 99 Venture, 52K miles trouble free.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    00 Venture with 39K, noticed coolant on garage floor. Fortunately I have the extended warranty so it cost me nothing, woudl have been over $600 to fix according to dealer! Anyone else have this problem so "early" on? Had similar problem with 95 Windstar but at 75K - the famous head gasket woes of Windstar owners. Otherwise car has been 100% mechanically reliable, trim is incredibly cheap inside though! Not kid proof at all!

As for comparison of minivans, the 00 Venture we have has had no problems till now except for several silly recalls but the 00 Windstar we also have (traded the 95 in when Ford bribed us with $4000 due to the 95 Windstar problems) has had lots of things like bad accelerator pedal, bad transmission gear shift - nothing like thinking you are in N and its actually in D!) plus even more recalls. Plus it burns gas like an Excursion!
  • kanonekanone Member Posts: 1
    I got my 6 plugs replaced recently in my 98 Venture with 95,000 miles. Cost me $150--half for the plugs and half for labor. Is this typical?
  • brophbroph Member Posts: 85
    I too have a '00 & it was running warmer than I would have liked. Brought it to dealer & they replaced intake manifold gaskets. My van had 30K on it, now currently 32K. I'll agree with the cheap plastic interior, just had passenger slider panel replaced, plugs got stripped out somehow. I thought the door was just sticking, when I tried to open it the panel would hit preventing so. My daughter was freaking out that I broke the door, at least that is what she told my wife. I don't need any help getting into the dog house. Undecided on getting an extended warranty, I know if I don't I'll be sorry. The Chevy dealer quoted $1800 for a 36/36 $0 ded.

Tom
    Tom - you should be able to pick up a warranty at almost a 1/3 off the "list " price if not more. They make a killing on these. Shop around dealers, you don't have to buy it from the one you got your car from. Don't know about Chevy but most other makes have a dealer somewhere with a special website selling manufacturers warranties at cut prices on the internet. My GM 5 yr/75K zero deductible warranty was $865. IIRC the dealer initially asked for 12-1300.
    cptplt - did you get your warranty from a gm dealer? I've read the posts on extended warranties & the best that I have seen (at least the most satisfied from non gm dealers) were from people who got Warranty Gold. I just do not want a hassle when/if I have to bring in my van for warranty work. Thanks for the info.
    yes I got it from the dealer I purchased the car from. The only experience I have with non manufacturers warranty, over 10 yrs ago with a subaru - was not good, too much hassle on the phone getting approval for work. Also its not uncommon for some aftermaket warranty companies to have disappeared by the time you need them. Besides this recent repair on the Venture my only other recent experience with a manufacturers warranty is with my 98 Subaru. They did a lot of things which were not really covered as "good will" including the timing belt!! ( I had a cam seal oil leak and I had offered to pay the additional costs of changing the timing belt early as most of the labor would have been done to fix the leak under the warranty, the dealer told Subaru the belt was covered with oil and "damaged"!!!) I'm sure its very dealer dependent though. With repairs for almost anything costing several hundred $ nowadays I think extended warranties are well worth it if you keep the vehicle for any period. Also lots of things you may not pay to fix yourself will get covered if you have the bumper to bumper type coverage, eg I had radio problems with my Subaru which were covered and minor a/c leaks. Niggly things which given the expense if you had to pay for it yourself you could live a long time without fixing.
  • kruebbekruebbe Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking to buy a '03 Chevy Venture. It's been 6 years since I've bought a vehicle, my last being a 1997 Olds Silhouette.

In the age of the internet I'm seeing so many different stories and getting advice from so many sources about what to pay invoice, below invoice, just above invoice, etc.

Can some of you share your shopping experiences with me and give me some insight on what kind of deals you were able to make in buying your Venture?

Thanks so much.

Patsy
    First, you may get a better deal on a 2002, unless you want an 03 for a special reason. I would guess the 02s have a higher rebate. The deal I'd offer is: Invoice (calculated from this website)+ tax (you figure it)+ tags/title - rebate = OTD$ (Out The Door price). No "fees," no extra charges of any kind. Also check TMV (True Market Value) here at Edmund's.
    And also see the carshopping article: http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/43091/article.html
    There may still be some 01 Silhouettes out there, as well as Montanas. I shopped 'em all in 2000, didn't have to have a Venture.
    Plus you can shop GM inventory at www.gmbuypower.com. I used it to locate just what I wanted in a Camaro this year. You can search by zipcode, it's easy.
    and you can check rebates at Buypower as well.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    Why not buy another Silhouette? They have a 5yr 60,000mi warranty, and are priced about the same as a Venture.
    Just out of curiosity I checked Buypower and found 2 Silos in my zipcode area. If I were shopping right now, I'd definitely look at 'em.
    cpttlp: sorry I have been away for a few days, just want to say thanx for the info. i'll what i can conger up at another dealer.

tom
  • claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    Hey guys. I have a 2001 Voyager that I love. Want to get a "bigger" van next year as the kids (6, 3-1/2 & 2) are only getting bigger. Since I love my Voyager so much since buying it in May, 2001, I had not considered another brand of van. I notice the big rebates GM is offering on the Venture though. I'm sure something similar will be offered next year. Anyway, did not consider the Venture last time due to poor IIHS scores and low Consumer Reports scores. I certainly see tons of the GM trio of mini vans on the road, so they must not be that bad. I was wondering how you owners put these bad scores out of your minds and bought your vans? Are they working out? Would you buy another one? Thanks for any input!
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    As it has been posted before, one of the nice things about the GM vans is that the IIHS/HLDI rates them the best minivan in terms injury and collision loss based on real world performance. Substantially better then average is how they rate the Montana (#1), Silhoutte (#2), and Venture (#9). Voyager was #18 higher then the minivan average for both injury and collision. (Source is the "Injury, Collision & Theft Losses" report September 2001 funded by the IIHS)
    Same here. I looked at the labtest info and the realworld stats, decided the GM triplets were just fine.

However, many will disagree.
  • gm02gm02 Member Posts: 49
    Bought a 1999 Pontiac Montana with a buddy of mine I work with, mine only has 21K on it and my buddy has 46K. Today we both have said we would never consider another van. I also have 3 kids and once you get past 2 I feel the GM vans are the only choice. You can have 3 in the middle row and the 3rd row seats can either be remove or just folded up. The modular seating idea is must better by far than a fold away 3rd seat or bench seats. Great riding van, very smooth and quiet.
    A lot of van for the money.
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    Have 2000 Venture (Nov 1999), 32K miles, 8 pass, would definitely buy another. Wife drives it every day and she loves this van.
    Tomek
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    I really fell in love with my Montana. I got it in January, not a single problem, fuel eco pretty good go for it.
  • mvanmanmvanman Member Posts: 3
    Using our GM Card rebates and the 0.9% financing available then, we got our 2001 WB Venture in late April of 2001. After almost 13K miles, I have come to appreciate it more. It drives, rides and handles great. I am very impressed with its MPG, can get around 27-28 mpg on the interstate and 26-27 mpg overall for a daytrip. Also like its 25+ gallon fuel tank, which combined with its mpg makes for a great cruising range. The Windstar is the only other large MV to have such a comparable fuel tank as the Grand Caravan and Honda Odyssey only have 20 gallon fuel tanks. The compass on the DIC has also come in handy when driving in unfamiliar territory. Highly recommend to getting the DIC which is only available on the LS trim and above.