Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• godzillamaxgodzillamax Member Posts: 2
    Hi, my first time posting here went unanswered, so please please help me with this second post!!

I have a 2004 Toyota Matrix that I purchased 13 months ago as a commuter vehicle when I moved 45 miles away from my office, (I live in Southern California, San Bernardino County). The vehicle is only used to drive to/from work mainly on the freeway as well as visiting clients offices in town. I wasn't able to utilize Edmunds used car valuator because they only list up to the 2003 Matrix.

Here are the vehicles specs: 2004 Toyota Matrix XR. Automatic transmission (29,457 miles), White exterior, gray cloth interior, CD player, power windows/mirrors, fog lights, cruise control, anti-lock brakes, condition: clean to outstanding, closer to outstanding.

I am interested in what I could/should expect a dealer to offer me for the trade-in value. I am interested in buying a $30,000-ish new vehicle (possible a passat or other sedan).

Looking forward to your response!!

Thank you,

Max
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Somebody mentioned my Titan??? I am positively in LOVE with that truck, it can do NO wrong as far as I'm concerned.

We picked up our new popup camper today and the Titan was perfect, still getting 17-18 mpg hwy even pulling the trailer.

Have put 8400 miles on that truck in just over 2 months, a few minor glitches but nothing I would consider a problem. Usually after 2 mos I'm ready to trade....not this time, still love it.

If someone is in the market for a large SUV or 1/2 ton truck I would definatly recommend a look at the Armada (we test drove one, liked it) and the Titan (test drove one and fell in love, bought it).

Plus I fully believe my children would kill me if I even *thought* about trading in Mr. Tidy (my daughter's name for it). They both adore the truck, I've never seen them so attached.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    And you got the right color! That would probably be my choice if I were looking at a truck or SUV. I'm really liking the Legacy right now, though.
  • fensterlipsfensterlips Member Posts: 28
    Jolie,

I guess in response to my angst at making decisions on replacing our aging Suburban -- bowke28 thought you could give a pretty good recommendation and sage advise on the large Nissan platform.

Mike
  • cwpostcwpost Member Posts: 11
    Hey can I get a real world trade-in value of

2002 Kia Sportage
    4x4 SUV, auto tran.
    Spoiler, Power windows, locks,
    alloy wheels, cassette, a/c,
    30K miles.

Thanks. By the way I am in NY.
    I definatly recommend taking a look. Just keep in mind that its a first year design (second year promises to be better), I think if you go in with your eyes open its not so bad. Yes, there are problems (I have a pesky driver's side window on mine that they've yet to fix), but most are minor and not the end of the world.

Then again, maybe I have learned to tune out a lot of things........amazing what driving a 1990 Suburban will do for you.......makes minor stuff seem like nothing. LOL

Engine/transmission is the best, its quick and smooth. Not too horrid on gas (18ish on the hwy 14ish around town). Lots of fun to drive, drives like a car. Worth a look no doubt.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Here's what I can tell you, and you have to see if you can adapt it to your situation:
    I've got an 04 Vibe base/pwr/stick/no abs/7k miles.
    That car is worth, at auction around $11,5 - $12 here in MI as per Terry. Confirmed at a used-car dealer with an auction price for a similar car in Milwaukee.
    You have Toyota + more miles - auto + and abs +, so give or take, not far off in terms of value, I'd think.
    When Terry comes back from his Atkins retreat, he'll probably tell you the real #s, but you'll probably have to repost.
    -Mathias
  • spatulamanspatulaman Member Posts: 157
    Mmmmkay. You're looking at paying sticker on a Dakota??? You've lost your marbles. Dodge has HUGE HUGE HUGE rebates on these right now. $3500 off a single cab, $4500 off the bigger ones. (Go look over at Dodge.com ) MOREOVER, the 2005s are just around the corner, so the 2004s are becoming worth less and less each day. You should be able to get the new truck for INVOICE minus rebates. We're talking at least $5-6k under sticker, probably even less than that. They're trying to screw you...hard. As to your trade, I don't know...you haven't told us what it is. Details are important here.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Jolie, did you get the used camper that you mentioned earlier (the one Terry gave you an estimate on)?

I like the Titan but the SUV version is not so attractive.... looks like a '58 Rambler wagon on the side. My sister/bro-in-law bought an '04 Yukon and absolutely love it.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    No we didn't. The dealer was very shady about it and wouldn't come off the price. It had issues, didn't look right the one time I saw it up and beyond that they refused to set it back up. We looked at a few other used ones, but all we found were either hammered or 14 years old and every one of them had a $4k+ price tag (all private sellers).

So, we found a good deal on a new one and went with that. Had everything we wanted and wasn't much more.

I have it set up in the yard right now loading it for our trip......can't get my daughter to come out of it.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Better check out the payload capacity-it's not great. Didn't you get a shock from that Akang?
    The GVWR is low yes, but it depends on what you want to do with the vehicle. For us its fine, we found a camper that would work (actually several that would have worked, both popup and travel trailers). I don't know how the Armada is, so can't comment there.

Our Titan is doing exactly what we want it to and doing it just fine.
  • confusedbuyerconfusedbuyer Member Posts: 3
    I went to look at a Xc70 (2004)sticker 39K++ the other day and I have an Audi A4 2002. I have 35,000 miles on it. The car is in good condition. I was given a quote of 16,000 for the car's value?? I told the dealer ship too call me later with a better price...... What should I ask for ??
  • confusedbuyerconfusedbuyer Member Posts: 3
    Hello Mr Bill,
    I have never used this site before but I saw your name and I believe you could be of help too me. I went to a dealer ship on Saturday and I went to look at the V50 I was not impressed. It was too small for me. Well I was told I could get the Xc70 for a better deal a 2004. The sticker read 39K plus and I was given a price of 32,800 or so. I have a trade in (Audi A4 2002-35,000 miles) It is in good condition just needs a good wash and minor detail inside. I was given a price of 16,000 that was way too low I believe. What should I do. Should the price of the wagon be lower also. If you can get me a good deal I will travel to NJ to purchase the car I want to purchase by the end of the month if possible ..I live in Philly...I really like the SUV if I can get a good deal on that Im there......:)
    If you wants to get yourself unconfused, and if you want a figure on the Audi, you'll have to be a touch more specific on the car.
    Such as: engine, transmission (manual or auto -- they're all "5-speed" now), ext/int color, cloth or leather or naugahyde, sedan or wagon, condition of the tires, ever been in an accident, ever a repaint of anything.... "needs a bath", well I need a bath every day, difference is, I usually get it....

read 99 posts up, and you'll get the idea.

Mr. Bill has
     kinda been AWOL for awhile, so Terry is your man... but he's on vacation mudwrestling biker chicks in Sturgis... dunno when he'll be back.

Finally, when you do get a price from a dealer, don't count on the potential condition of the car... "it just needs" does not count. Do whatever it needs and present the car ready for resale. Dealers are lazy, just like you and me, and they will reward a car where they don't have to use their imagination to see what it looks like.

-Mathias
  • driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    "needs a bath" to a dealer for a trade evaluation is financial suicide -

If it's dirty, then I automatically assume, and rightfully so in most cases, that the maintenance isn't up to date and normal owner maintenance checks aren't done.

If you don't have time to take it through a 5 minute car wash, you don't have time to get the oil changed - get the idea?

When you take a car for a trade in, you're SELLING a vehicle - get in sales mode, and do everything you normally would to make sure it has as much "curb appeal" as possible.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Jolie, good for you! Tell us more about it, is it a pop up? What length/weight? The kids are going to have a blast in it for sure!

For the price difference that you mentioned, I would want a new one too. I've always liked the "Brand New" smell and you never know how someone has maintained something, especially an auto.

Congrats on the new purchase! Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Its a 2004 Jayco Eagle 10SG (popup, 10' box, 2800 GVWR), super nice, has lots of little options, we will have a/c installed in it this winter (when we aren't using it). Its got a furnace, 2 burner stove, 3-way fridge, rvque, and a few other cool things including a 10' awning that our salesman says will cause a divorce when we go to put it up, lol.

The Titan still manages normal fuel economy while towing it, that's a big plus. We only managed 9-10 mpg towing the rented travel trailer this summer, with the popup its getting 17-18 mpg hwy.

My kids are super excited and it just might keep me busy enough to stay away from the car lots. ;-)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    I noticed that you noticed.. even though your message disappeared during the software update.. That was a nice characterization, don't you think? I'll have to go now.. I'm working a child's birthday party later.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Yeah, that "clown" comment on the Rebates&Incentives discussion wasn't very nice. But at least it was unequivocal.

I like it when people say what they mean, so I used the quote.

BTW, I was surprised the guy did not get in trouble for it... seems like the level of moderating isn't what it used to be... the things that I've gotten my ear pulled for...

Ta -Mathias
    So, I've had my TT on AutoTrader.com for like 2 weeks. I've gotten calls from every cheap SOB in the continental US. UGH. It is the lowest priced TT (excluding those that are lesser cars, or million milers) within 300 miles of Houston, priced less than Terry suggested, and people want another $2k off. Is it AutoTrader or what? Where can I find the less-cheap buyers, ya'll?
  • boomer1bboomer1b Member Posts: 316
    Prob. somebody got a $$ value here and they want to pay LESS and steal it from ya !~........

OTOH....Its funny for a car dealer having to hear my car is worth X from a customer when in the auto world its worth Y.........

Hmmmmm...........

S-man...NOT a slam on you or dealer guys here !
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    It's my opinion that the Auto Trader tends to attract a lot more flakes and dreamers than a regular newspaper ad will.
    It's my opinion that the Auto Trader tends to attract a lot more flakes and dreamers than a regular newspaper ad will.
    Hahahaha. Funny you should mention a regular newspaper ad....I tried one of those first. I can indeed say that AutoTraitor attracts more flakes and dramers than the paper, because I DIDN'T GET ANY CALLS WHILE IT WAS IN THE PAPER! It was the Houston Chronicle, BTW.
    I have no idea what the market is on these. Usually if something...anything...doesn't sell it's because it's overpriced or unpopular.

I do know these appeal to a VERY small slice of the population. A lot of it is timing. You could get five calls or none depending on this.

Good Luck!
    It's Texas, Dude... now if'n'ya had a 'burban 4x4, you'd have that puppy sold... Also, wasn't it black..? That would dampen people's enthusiasm somewhat, I'd think...
    Good luck nonetheless, it's a great-looking car; I can still remember when the show car came out... even my wife wanted one...
    -Mathias
    now if'n'ya had a 'burban 4x4, you'd have that puppy sold

Yeah...I'm selling the TT to buy a truck, so it should be no problem next time I get ready to sell.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
                  Whoa .. What - a - week ..... !!

Terry.
    ......... You bought a "new" 10fter in August.? no gen, no breeze, no power lift ...?

Lets hope you didn't pay a dime more than $5,500 for that dude .....

.. you can buy 01/02 22fters with 12ft awnings, 4 burner (in/out) 14,000 btu a/c, 16,000 btu furnace, 30 gal tanks, double propane, double freshwater, full blown head with shower and a maserator for the high $8's low $9's on the retail side ................... ;)

Anyway .. Happy Birthday Elvis.!

Terry.
  • chrisbgoodchrisbgood Member Posts: 77
    Here's my feedback Terry --

You said mid 17's to low 18's for my 2003 mini cooper, indi blue, all three packages (cold weather, premium, sport) -- a great ride but small for me -- 20,800 miles. I currently owe 15,155.22

I was shooting for a 3 series but...

The car: New 2004 Passat 4motion, 1.8t, Tiptronic, Cold Weather package, Telemetrics, dealer added wood trim package (hoping I don't regret that -- it was on the car). Black with anthracite interior. The list price 28 and change.

The deal:

Out the door at 22,306 out of me (payoff of Mini is included, of course). Contract is signed, pick up the car on Monday (which is today).

Hard to tell how well I did -- Edmunds TMV was about 27 and change. I don't think it's a sterling deal (never is in hind sight) but it was low pressure. I think if I'd have went hard nosed I could have done it at 20,000 (I always think that when it's too easy) but it was close enough for me

In the end the difference was 5500 or so before taxes and fees...
    .. **In the end the difference was 5500 or so before taxes and fees...**

Mornin' Chris, thanks for the update .. let's just "say" the dealer dropped the $18,0 figure in the Mini - and you traded for a $5,500 *difference*.? .. looks like the $23,5/$24ish range on the dealer side ... sounds like a pretty good deal to me, dealer kicked the Passat off the lot for about -0- after the rebates and hopes to make it up in the Mini, maybe .. so far your the one thats doing fine, I dunno about the dealer .l.o.l....

Enjoy, you did great ..!

Terry.
    Ok Terry....back in July, you valued my TT at $23,900 asking, take 23.5-22.5, 19k trade in. I've been seeing offers of 21k ish from private party buyers, and two trade numbers of 16.5k and 17k. Have I found every cheap SOB on the planet, or have values declined since I last checked?

2001 TT Quattro Coupe 225 hp
    Leather
    [non-permissible content removed] Toasters
    Bose
    CD Changer
    Xenons
    17" wheels
    Almost 38k miles
    Tires at 60-70%
    Black/Black
    Back bumper has 2-3 kisses from license plate screws, but those are nearly un-noticible
    One rim has some curb rash
    Interior is clean with some wear, but not quite brand new mint condition
    Houston, TX
    ....... Whats the year and miles on this dude again.?

Auto Trader is kinda like a JC Penney catalog, lots of folks will look, wish and ponder, but most will go the stores and buy ...

Terry.
  • ny13ny13 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to trade a 04 Pontiac Grand Prix GT v6, 200hp, pwr everything. The car is black and has been kept well with 16,000 miles. I am looking to buy a Toyota Tundra Access Cab v8 w/ off road package. I live in upstate NY and w/ only one dealer they don't deal all that great. So I have to go over to Vermont (Burlington area). What I am looking for is what I could expect for trade and average price on the Toyota. Thanks for the help.
    ......... I think the 2 biggest things here is the miles and the color ... right now there is oodles of TT's on the market, most are "in the wrapper" with a light color and bunches with 12/15/20k ... I'm sure it's nice and clean, but the problem is, you have to compete with a 38k black one ..

Especially with the "Euro" types, the miles come back to haunt the owners once the market expands ... a good example is Bimmers, take a "clean" 02 Bimmer 745Li with miles in the teens/low 20's, I'm sure there's a dealer somewhere that will pony-up and step deep to the tune of the $49ish range if it's the right color, he "may" "might" "could" drop $50,0 in it ~ if it's cleaner than the Board of Health and "twice" as sanitary .. change the Odo to 38/40k and he won't cough up $41/$42 right now .. most Euro vehicles are very sensitive to miles, especially as the rear goes on ........ $21kish.? .. if you have had good strong ad's running for the last 6/8 weeks, then I would cut and run, dollars are negotiable - miles aren't ............................ :)

I hope this helps ...

Terry.
    LOL LOL

Anyways...I looked back through my records and found out that I paid $500 less for it than I thought I did, so I'm willing to drop the price a bit more. If I let it go in the $21-22k range, then I'm only looking at $2.5-3.5k in depreciation for 1 year and 15k miles of driving.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    as i understand the idea of limiting your loss, keep in mind that the amount you paid for it have absolutely nothing to do with the current value of the car.

in a nutshell, try not to use your buying price to justify how much you will take for it.
    Right, price paid doesn't dictate current value, but it does factor into my decision. If I'm going to get clobbered with a huge loss, I'm not going to sell it. I don't really have to get something else, I'd just like to. If it means a huge loss, I'll keep it and I'll drive the (*&$$ wheels off it until I've gotten my money out of it.
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    spatulaman,

You've been seeing *offers of 21k ish from private party buyers*? Are any of those buyers still around?

That price is $4K more than you've been offered by any dealer so far. If you can get $21K for a 3 year old double (or triple) black TT with 38K miles in TX, in the middle of August.......what's wrong with that, again????

Anytime you can make an extra $4K by selling privately vs trade in (in that price range), it seems like a no-brainer to me. Every private "buyer" now thinks they're a genius because they can look up used prices on Edmunds, & they all want to pay the trade-in price, not even the "Private Party Price"--unless the car is really low miles, or scarce, etc.

Personally, I'd pay $$ just to NOT have to drive around in TX with a black interior :-) I'd grab $21K in a heartbeat........
  • fensterlipsfensterlips Member Posts: 28
    Terry,

Welcome back. How was the soiree ??

If I may re-post. I'm hoping for an opinion from a dealers point of view - and pricing on my Sub

======================================================
    Well, I still haven't taken the E320 out back and shot it. I need to wait until our business gets a little more wind under it (and we can pay ourselves and not live off savings) I hope to replace it in the next couple months -- and hope to get $5-ish for it running up my own flag. Reminder - this was the White '94 E320 w/ 143K, grey hides and all the bells - pretty clean too.

Here's where I need the advise. My wife's Suburban is a 1999 LT 4x4, white, "K1500"-type with the Marketing Package (Southern Calif)with 91K miles, it has heaters everywhere ( mirrors, buns. etc) Tan leather, 3rd seat, rear air, all power, CD, alarm, towing, etc - decent rubber, blows cold, etc. The bad news - my wife kissed a Toyota on the freeway 3 years ago to the tune of $8K worth of work. Had it done at the best possible shop - but it is what it is.... Reading the posts, I'm guessing a private divorce is worth $13 ?? and if I expect a dealer to do the act, I'm looking $10-ish?? Am I close?

To replace it....
    I'm looking at the heavy deals on a Denali or Denali XL ( except they look like they have "design by Pontiac cartoonists" all over it) I like the power pack and brakes they come with mainly.

An alternative would be a 3 year old Lexus LX430 on the theory they both will end up lasting another 6 years or so and the Lexus may blow up less than the GMC.

Another thought is to buy the wife a new DC T&C and just get a used 3/4T Extra Cab P/U to tow the boat. I figure a 3 or 4 year old Dodge or Chevy. This may cost more but provide more utility.

What is going to be the least painful on the wallet and keep me away from hydraulic lifts and NAPA parts?

Your advise - from your side - on my next car choices and the pricing on the Sub are appreciated.

Mike
    Not in Alaska you can't. The used ones that were for sale were the 2002 Coleman 10' no breeze no nothing (less options then we have in the new one) for $5800 at a shady dealer who refused to set it up. A 1991 Coleman 10' for $4k, not in good shape at all, and a 1992 Palomino 8' that was on its last legs for $1k.

We are happy with the one we bought, its prepped for a/c, so $600 or so and it will have a/c. The generator can be bought later too, right now we have use of one from the base, so its no hurry.

Nothing is cheap up here, least of all RVs. I guess we could have waited and driven out to the states in the spring and saved a couple grand, but it wasn't worth it to us.

*snaps fingers* Why didn't I think of having you pick me up one and drive it up?? hehehe
  • lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    I am looking to buy this one:

1999 Acura 3.2TL
    73,279 miles
    4 speed auto (was this transmission troublesome?)
    White with gray leather
    No spoiler, no other extras
    At a Honda dealer in Birmingham, AL
    It looks good in the pictures, but I haven't gone to see it yet.
  • mitchinpamitchinpa Member Posts: 40
    Hi Terry

Been awhile since I posted in here. Quick question. The wife's Silver 2000 Solara is about at the end of it's lease. The buyout for the lease is $9300. Wondering what you think it's worth. Here's the specs:

2000 Solara SE (silver)
    4 banger - manual
    40,000 miles
    all options EXCEPT leather, alarm, and cd changer
    new rubber
    new rotors/brakes
    1 door ding
    a few small scratches (which could probably be buffed out)

Pittsburgh, PA area.

Thanks in advance!!!
    ......... I'm sure my eyes are a little strained from lookin' at all those tattoo's .l.o.l.. thats it, tattoo's ...

So I'm sure I missed it in your post - so, you paid how much for that base 10ft Jayco .?

Terry.
  • drpobdrpob Member Posts: 11
    Hello Terry,
    Please help with fair auction/dealer price for:
    2002 Lexus LS430(Chicago):
    Silver/ash(grey) leather
    NAV/ML package
    Car has 14K miles and asking price is $43,500
    Thanks in advance,
    drpob
    That's classified information, I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

I know we probably paid too much, do I care? Nope, cause today is the reason we bought it and my daughter's health is worth a few extra G's.

We paid $10,945 or something like that, that's with freight (they charge extra for that since they barge them up) and dealer prep. Asking price was $12,119 or something like that.

Yeah, it was spendy, but listening to my daughter cough in all this smoke and not have a way to get her out of it is far worse than spending too much on a camper.

I'm leaving the house in a little while, heading south, driving as far as I have to until we run out of this smoke. She is having a rough time. Then we'll camp until the smoke clears, after that we'll think about coming home. Hubby can't go, has to work, so this is all me.

Catch you all when I get back.
    ..... **Welcome back. How was the soiree ??**

Soiree ..? that's one word for it ~ how about: truly amazing.! .. You really get to see stuff your Mom said you should never see .. but Mom wasn't there (at least not my Mom) .l.o.l.. another nice thing was riding thru the Badlands and the Black Hills, that is really quite a spectacular ride, I mean bad to the bone and the weather was puuuurfect, 75ish during the days and 55ish at nights and no humidity .. it was coming back early and seeing all the damage from Charley that was the no-fun part .. me, I missed it all, but some folks will be lost for months .... :(

Anyway, back to reality ... $8,0 big ones in repair.? .. without seeing/knowing more about the Burb it's hard to say, ya know the finished product, stuff like sand in the paint, overspray on all the windows and the 64lbs of bondo on the hood, ya know the little things .l.o.l.. but if it's nice, finished right, all OEM parts, no plastic fantastic, then trade side, in and around the $8's ... down Retail Rd with a great Ad, artistic detail, deep round things, all serviced, lookin', feelin' and driving like 50k, $11,900 *asking* and drop kick that dude at the first $10,5/$11,5 ...... depends on the finish work - hopefully Mathias will read this and drop the "what to look for" and you can get a better idea of the value.

3 year old Lexus LX430 is a pretty good idea, there is Tons of these out there with 150/160k with little or no problems .. the Denali or Denali XL's are a great buy with all the incentives ..... what kind of boat.?

Terry.
    ...... There's some hurtin' people that got hit hard from Charley .. contributions are needed and will be greatly appreciated.

Red Cross Donations: 1-800-435-7669

Terry.
    .. **I am looking to trade a 04 Pontiac Grand Prix GT v6, 200hp, pwr everything. The car is black and has been kept well with 16,000 miles**

16k.? on a 04 .? .. your another one that needs to get a better dating service .. what, do you drive around the block every night til' you run out of gas .?

Well, the color is good for the area, it's a Grand Prix GT and we have power everything .. the miles are going to kill ya here, plus GP's aren't burning down any bridges right now .. if it's super clean, deep sneakers, looks/feels like 8/9k, then trade side, in and around the mid/tall $12's, "might" "could" "maybe" on an "if" get reeeeal lucky and have a dealer drop the low low low low low low low $13's in it, maybe ............ :)

Let me know how it goes ..

Terry.