Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
edited December 2013 in General
Hello,

Perhaps the biggest Problem that I see with
shoppers who have done research on the net as a
salesman is trade-in value.

So I decided to start this topic. I can, through
acess to information not generally available to the
public, get you a pretty good idea of what your
trade may very well be worth.

This is not a guarantee, but maybe I can help!

Bill

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    The shopper will search the internet sites looking for trade in values. Naturally, they will believe the highest number.

Trouble is, in the real world, the trade is often worth much less to a dealer.

Why would they pay 10,000 for a car that go's begging at the auctions for 7500.00.

Or a car nobody wants? The Neon or Hyundai will rot on the lot and the dealer knows it! Even the wholesalers don't want it.

Or a Volvo that is brown with a 5 speed and a cloth interior? The "book" might say 12,000, but any dealer knows the car is saleproof at almost any price!
  • jaclazjaclaz Member Posts: 37
    Hi folks,

OK, what are the cars that are being bought as trade-ins and being kept by the dealers rather than being sent to auction? Are these all brand animals as in all Hondas, all Toyotas, or is it sensitive to models, the Tiburon, the Millenia, Miata, Mustang GT....? This info would be very helpful in narrowing down purchases which trade well after "X" years. Are there vehicles which have better re-sale within 3 years of purchase but lose it after 4 years? And how about those European brands that lose thousands, yet on a % depreciate very slowly when compared to domestic luxury vehicles.

Thanks for the topic, Jack
    Please continue....
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Jack,

The cars on the market with very strong resale generally arent the price leader ad cars.

Generally, these include the following:

VW Passat/Cabrio
    BMWs.. almost all except 750iL
    Mercedes-Benz
    Most Audis
    Toyota Land Cruiser

Notice also, that most of these cars are "strong" in the new car market, theyre rarely discounted!

Most mass-market cars fall hard, especially mass-produced domestic sedans.

And most "economy" brands do very poorly. I can pick up a 99 Kia Sephia at auction for about 7,000. That's for a 4-door automatic sedan with under 20K miles. You just cant buy one of those new cheap enough! Hyundais also do poorly, and I doubt that Daewoos will do well either.

"average" Black Book on a 1998 Elantra is $6,000. That's an under 50% residual!

Bill
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    for all the shoppers out there....When trading in a car...your more likely to get a higher trade value if your trade is the same brand that the
    dealer offers. EXample, a ford dealer taking in an Explorer is more likely value it higher than a chevy dealer. No dealer wants a Saturn in trade, and will undervalue the car but the Saturn dealer will put top dollar on a saturn trade...same brand trades are generally the dealers favorites. Unless of course its a super low mileage cream puff. then everyone wants it.

Brentwood is using some very good examples for trade values.

Rich
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    How about late model ('98-'99) BMW M3's? I have just started to look for one and the dealer near me (one price dealer) is pricing the '98 at $35k and the '99 at almost $40k! That's almost what they went for new! Are they really holding their value that well, or do you see it as a function of no 2000 M3's being made (meaning that after the 2001 waiting lists are gone and a few are on the lots, the used '98's and '99's will be cheaper, relatively)?
    The '98 was a sedan, the '99 a coupe, both stock, both in very good condition inside and out, both 5 speeds.
  • blackcurrantblackcurrant Member Posts: 152
    In the SW anyway, they hold their value really well, as long as they're ext cab and loaded.

Also, the trends will swing. The passat is hot now, but, that could change in a few years. No one has a crystal ball.

And, when trading a car do your own comparison shopping as a seller. Bring it to a few stores yourself to wholesale it. Sometimes, it's just what they're looking for and they'll give you more than you'd imagine. And find a store who's buying, like, for a special sale or who's low on inventory or, better yet, one of the superstores move into town and they've got a few million to spend to get started. Lots of opportunities there!
    BMW M3s do hold their value like that. There just aren't enough of them. In fact, if you were willing to spend that kind of money on a new car, they'd definately would return and the net annual cost would be pretty darn low, relatively speaking for a 40-50k car, althought you'd have the cash tied up in it. One caveat, with the new M3 coming out, the prices are gonna drop!
    I've found the independents will (at auction) step up and pay more than the franchise stores will for mainstream imports cause they just can't get 'em like the franchisers do! And, the highest prices are paid by the stores who sell the most cars, regardless of brand. One week it';s the honda store, the next the jeep one, all depends who had a good weekend!

Domestics, well, yeah, they're a dime a dozen and the used car dept may pay more for clean lo miler.
    M3s? Oh yeah they hold their value!

Only a rough/mileagey 95 will sell for under $20K at auction...

That' a wholesale value of 60% After FIVE YEARS!

Put it this way.. A 99 Coupe 5-sp with 27,000 miles, which is high, broke $35K in California at a sale...

So if it's a decent mile car.. $39K sounds like a good price to me.

Bill
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I was refering to customer trade ins...not auction cars. I dont know of many dealers who wont give a higher market value on same brand trades, especially if the car was also serviced at the dealership

one thing to remember concerning auctions, the independant can't get into the brand factory sale....i.e. BMW factory sale for BMW dealers olny...new car dealers will generally buy factory only sale cars to fulfill most of the inventory and only buy "open auction" cars to supliment any week points. The factory sale cars are on an average 300-700 higher than the same open auction car...but they can be used car certified and warrantied, and as of late low rate financing.

Rich
    Yes, so when a decent popular car comes as an open off-lease the independents many times have to pay MORE for LESS!

Also, sometimes you can find even an independent willing to pay more for, say an explorer, than the ford franchise if he needs it.

When selling to a dealer you need to find one who wants/needs it just as you would selling to the public.
    Thanks, guys. I'm not going to get anything until probably next summer, just wanted to see where the market was now. Hopefully the '01 M3 takes some of the pressure off those prices. I guess we'll see. Both those cars were CPO by BMW (includes 6 yr/100k b to b warranty), so I guess the prices were about right...
    Of course you could use the old standbys: end of month on rainy day during slow period (vacation season). After all, it IS a used car! There are also regional effects.

In Santa Fe NM, the BMW dealer doesn't sell ANY convertibles. So, if you want a new convertible, they'd sell it cheap to move a unit.

But, as far as used M3s go, i'd bet the NEW M3 will cause them to depreciate somewhat. It's GOT to. The engine is MUCH more powerful. There'll be a bunch of M3 loyalists trading in their old ones.

For the money you're talking on the used M3 you could prolly get a new 330i sedan or coupe! It's gonna feel very close to the current M3.
  • jaclazjaclaz Member Posts: 37
    Again Thanks for the info offered, SO....which cars beside any 4 wheel drive SUV or truck bring high $$$?? There was a time when Saturns were invincible like the Passat seems to be now, are Golfs and Jettas also high return? Diesels? 1.8Turbo? VR6's? VW's use to be mechanical nightmares, how times change... Do all Limited, loaded vehicles return a better % than non-leather, no sunroof, no 16" wheels? Or do they sell faster yet return poorly on dollars invested? Is the vette the only domestic to retain value? (besides 4wd trucks) Do all vehicles which are in rental fleets have poor resale? Name some vehicles the masses can own and see very low depreciation.

Thanks, Jack
  • SpyponderSpyponder Member Posts: 128
    I saw you mentioned Cabrio a few posts back, so I thought I'd give your topic a whirl.

How about a '99.5 Cabrio GLS, Green, 5-spd, 7K miles, CD-changer? I hear that these babies have gotten hot since VW started running the Cabrio commercial, so I'm thinking about trading up.

Thanks
    That's worth some money actually..

My Guess is that it ought to be worth $18,000 to perhaps $18,500 on a wholesale level.

Green isnt the best color, but its not bad.

Depends where in the country you live though...

Bill
  • pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    Hanging around this place is really making me want to buy another new car!

:-)

Last April I bought a 99 Acura TL, Laguna Green, no nav, no other options except mud flaps, wheel locks and (of course) mats. It is in excellent condition, less than 7500 miles. What do you suppose I could either trade it in for, or sell it?

Thanks, great topic!

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • jackfactorjackfactor Member Posts: 25
    My wife and bought a 99 Explorer Eddie BauerV6 4wd with no moon roof on the A plan from Ford because her sister worked for Ford motor credit at the time. We would have never bought it if we had not gotten such a sweet deal. We paid just under 29,000. The sticker was just over $34. I was shocked when checking out Edmunds market value for our car with only 15,000 was just over 22,000. I look in the Sunday Milwaukee Journal Sentine each week and have seen only one Eddie 98 for sale in the last month. Thay are hard to get used here until they come off of lease. I find it hard to believe that this SUV in this market has a market value of only $22+ after 15,000 miles when the 2000 with really no changes is selling for over $30. Especially when the 99 has an updated look over the 98. We probably will not sell it - but we had toyed with the idea while gas prices were insane (still high) in Milwaukee.
    What is a realistic trade- reatil udes value for a 99 EB explorer in Deep Wedgewood Blue 4WD V6 with no moon roof?
    I did some checking on yoru SUV...

Your advantage is that it's a V6 (Im assuming leather here!) Problem is, right now SUVs are "stiff" as we say in the car business. In other words.. on the used level, there's a whole lot more of them than there are buyers. The gas prices hurt, as you know. Deep Wedgewood doesnt help, but it doesnt hurt. I think it may be worth closer to $23K on trade.. and about 25,900 "real" retail. Remember, there's incentives on SUVs that werent't in place a year ago, and this hurts them.

I did see that a 12K mile Wedgewood one sold for under $22K though...

Also, there are a whole lot of them out there right now, unlike Pat's TL, there are not hard to come by I'm afraid.

You'd really be better off holding on to it instead of trying to trade it. And the way the market is on SUVs.. it'll at least be worth the same money 3 months from now, then you may be able to get closer to $23K for it without a problem. Right now Edmunds seems to be on the money im afraid. Anything over $22K in "real money" is more than fair.

Bill

Bill
    I sincerely hope you all appreciate the info Bill is offering here. Whether good news or bad, it's accurate. Nice work, Bill.

I have one for you....1995 camaro Z28, loaded with all but leather, t-tops, bose, power, etc. Only 28,000 miles. Paintwork in front but no frame repair or previous collision damage (i had a cracked front bumper cover replaced and a dented hood straightened) Interior is fine and finish is good. Mechanically straight. What say you?
  • diamonddave2diamonddave2 Member Posts: 12
    I traded my '94 T-Bird SC for $2200 about six months ago. It was in excellent condition (body, interior etc), but had 136,000 miles on it.
    How did I do? I know it was much lower than Edmunds' valuation, but I didn't care because there was some expensive repair work coming due on it.
    Thanks,
    Dave
  • glenn384glenn384 Member Posts: 14
    I think the one thing that most often keeps car deals from being done in quick order is that customers always thinks that their trade-in is worth much more than it really is.

A few years ago when I was going to buy my wife a Lincoln Continental (year old)I had a five year old grand caravan to trade in. I thought it was worth about 4-4.5 grand wholesale. A friend at work, who has access to the local auction data, looked up the recent auction sales, and similar vehicles were selling wholesale at 2.5-3 grand. Bad news, but reality sometimes hurts.

That evening I was offered 3 grand for the vehicle, and the deal was done in less than a half hour. If I hadn't been clued into the REAL wholesale price for my van I would not have bought that car, that night. I would have wasted my time, and several other salesmen's time before I was convinced that the 3 grand was a good trade-in quote.

Again, Thanks- Bill

...glenn
  • superman5superman5 Member Posts: 154
    i have 99 rx300 fwd,leather,sunroof,cd changer,memmory seat, roof rack, spoiler..20,000 miles how much is it worth?
    I think you got yourself in deeper than you bargained, eh? (No, I'm not Canadian, I just like saying eh).
    Hmm.. an odd one.. 28K on a 95 Z28..

Since you used to go to auctions yourself, you know that a car like this can be tough to appraise. If it's really a supermin low-miler, and you get the right dealer on it.,. the sky's the limit for something like that.

OK, I'll bite.

My gut (which is usually very good) told me about $8500-9K... but "let's go to the videotape.."

My money on the car, assuming paintwork looks good is about $11-12K That seems like what the low milers bring! Wow... But again, you never know on something like that... Also, is it a good color? If it's Pink, nobody's gonna step to that one!

Bill
    Hmm,

Well, you actually kinda got what I would have said.. a 6-year old, High-Mile supercharged Ford is scary...

$2,200 might be a little light.. but not by a lot.. I mean, It looks like cars like your old one that hover around the 100K mile mark seem to trade in the mid-high $3Ks..

So, if it wasnt all that nice of a car.. 2200 is a little light, but not terrible.

Bill
    How about a 1998 4Runner SR5 4WD with every option except CD and moonroof and locking rear diff. Perfect condition, inside and out (only imperfections are two door dings the size of a pencil eraser, no dents). 27k miles.
    I live in Denver and my truck is Desert Dune color (sand).
    I appreciate it.
    Youre very welcome.. glad to help!
    Thanks for checking. It's black, (i can't believe i forget to give you the color!). I did go to auctions but it's been about 6 months or so and i'm rusty. The miles are original. It was an off-lease return from newburgh auto auction in NY. I've had it 1 1/2 years and put maybe 7k miles on it. It does need tires. I have a deal of 10k even on it now. (DP on raw land) Anyway, you firmed up what i thought. I'm selling it too cheap. Thanks Bill.
  • pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    On the TL stuff, that is.

Looks like you've set yourself up here to be a busy man! ;->

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
    Anytime!

Newburgh? I used to go there for the Ford Factory sales (When I worked in Montclair, NJ)

Bill
    Anytime,

Yeah.. I may have created a monster here.... :)

Bill
    I figure it needed about $2500 worth of work, so I got a good deal. Their initial offer was $1200!
    Yeah, it's a pretty large auction, bigger than the one here in albuquerque, nm. Manheim is buying this one also, BTW. It appears they're taking over :) Their ford sale was pretty good for an open sale.

What do you think of the auction certified cars? I think for the guys with only a few hundred in them it's a service we don't need to pay for. There selling more of them that way, aren't they?

The Z was a ford! credit car! I marvel at how those dealers were spooked by that car. I got it about 1000 less than i thought. It only cost me 900 to R&R the bumper cover and refinish the hood. There was no frame damage and it ran out like a 20,000 mile car. Oh well, that's why they call it an auction!

How long will the market be good for it in your neck of the woods?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Wow! Did you ever open a can of worms...

It's always frustrating when the trade in becomes the problem.

Even more so when the customer is coy and conceals the fact they have a trade in.

Any professional can usually detect this and will do their best to shake the trade out of the bushes before wasting their time.

Some of the "expert" internet sites even suggest this.

And, when the buyer is unrealistic, we will do our very best to "kick" the trade...we simply don't want it!

That Kia that the "book" says is worth 4000.00 is an unwanted car...by everyone!

After making several phone calls, the highest bid we can get is 1800.00.

" Please...sell it yourself!"
    If I recall.. it's been a Manheim sale for some time now..

Certainly was in 97-99. I only really went there for the Ford closed sales.. I could always do a lot better at Skyline in NJ on the Ford Credit sales.. Some stuff there would go for just stupid money!

Apparently, the Jaguar sale is going to shoe wup there pretty soon.. WHich is smart as I'd rather (Well, if I still worked/lived in North NJ) go 45 mins to Newburgh than all the way to Manheim!

Bill
    Well,

In that light you really did do well then! :)

Bill
    Yeah,

Well maybe I'll save some poor salesman out there the greif when someone comes in with a 70K Mile 97 Sedan DeVille and is waving the $16K valuation in his hands :)

Bill
  • trifictrific Member Posts: 3
    '96 Blue Honda Civic LX, 14,500 miles, automatic, air conditioning. Clean. Seattle market.
    '94 Honda DX, metallic dark blue, 78,000 miles, a/c, auto, am/fm tape deck, no other options, couple of dings, Central NJ area.

Thinking of selling it and buying a Miata...

Thanks,
    Dave
    nt
    Cars that have very low mileage can be tough...

I havent seen anything with mileage even close to yours out there, but from what I've seen.. and If I were appraising the car, $9,000 seems to hit me in the head. Maybe a little more..

Hope this helps!

Bill
    Dave,

From what you're telling me.. I'd peg that car right around the $5,000-5,500 mark or thereabouts.

Assuming it's clean, of course.

Hope this helps!

Bill
  • gcintendergcintender Member Posts: 36
    ...how about this? I'll be ordering a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan, and will be trading in my 1987 GC. Automatic, non-working air-conditioning, dire need of paint, oil leak. I'm in Eastern Pennsylvania. Wot's the Right Price?
  • gcintendergcintender Member Posts: 36
    ...the mileage, of about 88,000.
    Well,

Truthfully, the best way to dispose of that Van is to Donate it to a charity. You'll not only get its' current book retail value as a write-off, you'll be helping a worthy cause.

Truthfully, you need to look at your van as I would as an appraiser:

It's 13 years old, leaks oil, has no AC in July, and looks terrible (I'm assuming typical Chrysler paint peel and possible surface rust). It's only worth a couple of hundred dollars on trade.

Say you're in something like the 30% or so tax bracket. Say you get a $2500 deduction.

That's $750 in your pocket, and more than you'll likely get on trade. Anything over a few hundred dollars is likely to be an overallowance I'm afraid.

So Donate it, a Vehicle like that can also be very hard to sell on your own and you'll be helping a good cause.

Bill
    Donate it to the cancer society who will auction it off absolute and some sleazebag 'notelot' operator will buy it for a grand, earl shive the paint and sell it to some hardluck teenage, pregnant single mother for 3000 at 28% interest.....

Sometimes ya just can't win. :)