Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• ventvent Member Posts: 1
    I too have the same problem with battery and new alternator. I called my local dealer and the kit costs $125. My question is where can I buy this $5 screw??
  • isevillaisevilla Member Posts: 6
    I have a similar problem with my 97 Venture...my driver side power window seems as if its off track and once it gets half way up it moves a bit to one side then takes forever to go all the way up. It even sometimes needs to get hit or pulled up and it still doesnt close all the way. I can see where the smudges are where it should go to but it doesnt close all the way. Now to my passenger side window...this one got stuck in the down position and my husband managed to get it back up by taking apart the switch and messing with it and eventually it went up again. Its been a couple of weeks since it happened but we are scared to open it all the way down now.

I read in a reply to the original post that a person bought a new switch and replaced it for a window that got stuck. Hopefully someone can suggest a resolution for my driver side window getting stuck half way on its way up.

Thanks in advance!
  • isevillaisevilla Member Posts: 6
    I have a 97 Venture and it seems that the rubber that is around the driver side door comes off and I constantly have to push it back into place. Is there someway to glue it back into place or something or do you have to buy a new one? It seems that when it comes loose i hear more road noise as well.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and or solution to this problem.
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    The part you want is 10316685 and on the Chevy Impala site there is a diagram how to fix. Cost is $2.86
  • beatsmebeatsme Member Posts: 1
    Yeah, me too.....nothing but Japanese from here on out....except a few trucks....I had a nice long one going but must have wiped it out before I posted it.....It comes down to this....I buy an American product; troubles.....I buy a Japanese product; no troubles.....it's not the drivetrains or engines, it's the little things...knobs, trim, rattles, bolt-ons, mystery problems no one can identify or fix at $100/hr.....

I have owned an 87 Firebird (had to be repainted when new), 92 Cougar (brakes kept glazing over...3 sets in 40k miles), an 03 Venture (rear brake cylinders were leaking and both replaced this week...36,571 miles), and 04 Ram (6,000 miles on it and the ECM had to be reset, rear discs replaced due to warping).....

Contrast that to my 89 Accord (flawless, I actually traded this in on a patriotic move when I bought my 92 Cougar...go figure) 92 Camry (112,500 flawless miles on it)....99 Camry....flawless, (69,000 miles on it and the front brakes, tires and routine maintenance have been performed....I will keep this thing until it croaks or the kids wreck it...)

So its American Cars: 0-2-2 vs. [non-permissible content removed] 3-0.......next time I need a passenger vehicle or hear an American autoworker is going to lose his/her job, I am going to RUN to the nearest Toyota or Honda dealership and buy one or two more to make absolutely, positively sure one or two more workers get knocked out at the "plant".... ;)
  • rward2rward2 Member Posts: 2
    I had this exact problem with my `97 Venture. Here is how I solved it:

1. Check your light ALL of your tail lights or turn signal bulbs. They will cause fast blinks and slow blinks and dimming on the side where the bulb is burnt out. Make sure the bulb isn’t partly burnt out. The tail lights have a high and low setting, if one or the other is burnt out this can cause the problem as well. You might even check for corrosion at the base of the light bulb where it plugs into the light bulb mount. If that doesn’t work or if you have corrosion in the bulb mount follow the rest of the instructions. this will solve that issue as well.

2. Remove the tail light and detach the wire harness assembly from the actual tail light lens.

3. Detach the positive battery cable. (this is a pain on the Venture)

4. About 6 inches from the male wire connection use a wire cuter and snip the connection. (I think it was a total of 5 or 6 wires)

5. I previously went to a junk yard and found a wire harness assembly with no corrosion or burning, on the bulb plug ins, male side, female side of the wire harness and the actual light bulb plug in mount. Make sure that you have NO corrosion on either side of the plug in. This ran me only about 10 bucks and being that the Venture was common in my neck of the woods I have plenty to pick from.

6. It’s best if you get corresponding wire harness to your problem. i.e. right side if it is right side This is not necessary but it is recommended. … The wire coloring is one wire off.

7. Strip all wires one quarter of an inch on the cut sides.

8. Use a standard wire connector or crimping tube to attach the wires to the corresponding wire on the vehicle. Green to green… yellow to yellow… you know the drill.

9. Wrap the new connections in electrical tape or shrink tube. This will help to prevent a reoccurrence or similar issues from happening.

10. Reinstall the wire harness, bulb assembly and tail light.

11. Check your fuses. I found that the venture has an odd tendency to pop fuses when any electrical issues happen.

12. Reattach your battery cable.

13. You may have to drive long enough for the ABS computer to reset or run a few cycles. I drove mine for about 15 minutes before the computer reset.

Let me know if that works for you. I took this to several places that said in no way shape or form should the ABS light come on because a tail light short. They where wrong! I did this last month and I have had no issues since.
  • gil99gil99 Member Posts: 2
    For four months I have endured this life of uncertainty of where I will be "IF" my van dies!!! I first brought it to the dealer because there was three dings of a bell and the gas guage, temp guage and spedometer guage all fell off to the left- or 0 (zero) radio turns off, but the car is still running. The AC is on too. This happens 5 or 6 times and I bring it in when the yellow security light keeps coming on. OK, they find out the battery split and leaked acid about. They replace it and send me on my way.
    Within a week all the dials start repeating their last performance and I go directly to the battery, it's fine. I continue driving it for two months and the dings occur occasionally. Finally it is dead outside the post office. I go and shake the battery but not even a hum or click. Dealer says it was a loose starter connection.
    Wow, glad we figured that one out! Now less than two weeks from the last trip to the dealer and the same bell dings and all guages dropping off! Yellow security light stays lit up as long as I run it. When I restart it the yellow security light goes off..... any comments or similar problems out there?
  • tjm103tjm103 Member Posts: 1
    as per my owners manual and by my own experience with my 01 venture just cycle the trip odometer untill it says oil and then hold it for i believe 5 sec, it will reset to 100 and the message will go away as well. you can also find out your remaining oil life just be cycling through as mentioned above
    Between 2000 and 2001 Chevrolet changed the oil change notification and reset procedure.
  • indrgbindrgb Member Posts: 115
    The driver's side pwr window on my 2000 Silo kept wanting to go up crooked. If you pulled it back as it went up, it would go up easier. I took it to a dealer to have it looked at and they said it needed a new regulator. They wanted $600 for parts and labor. To make a long story short, I ended up buying the regulator for $300 from a friend who works at a dealership. Retail, the part was $475. You can also get the part from gmpartsdirect.com, but be careful because their web-site gave me the wrong p/n. The Olds is different from the Chevy/Pontiac. Call a dealer and get the p/n before ordering from the internet. They may ask you for the VIN. I would not consider this an easy part to replace. It's the whole freakin inside of the door. I was lucky that my mechanic brother-in-law helped me. I had a couple of earlier posts on his subject if you want more details. The sad part is the only thing wrong was a bracket that got bent. The bracket probably cost GM about $2, but you can't buy the bracket separately.

Hope this helps.
  • ts60423ts60423 Member Posts: 52
    Do yourself a favor and get the clips from the dealer - the parts replacement from Auto Zone and NAPA fit poorly and even shattered when popping the panels back on. I broke mine by keeping my big ol' Maglight in the door pocket - when the door was closed, all of that wieght started to break the plastic pieces after a couple years.
    When I had my door apart to replace the speakers, I tried to figure out why my 2000 Venture power window would go up so much slowly than the pass window. I greased the scissor bar connections and freed up some stuck parts inside the door. I used regular auto grease and got everything freed up, and everything seems ok again.
  • hatemyventurehatemyventure Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 model. From the second month of owning my vehicle I have had the same problem with my driver side window. Every time I took it in to be checked my dealership told me that there was sand in the track causing the problem. Now every time I put the window down, when I want to put it up I have to do it in two stages. First I put the window up to the half way point where it stops, then I put it down a small amount followed by putting it up the rest of the way. That is the only way it will work.

I am glad to see other folks have the same problem. My husband thought that it was because I spilled something on the switch. Thanks for your help!
    :mad:
    We bought our venture in June '02. It was a dealer demo. We have had problems since August of '02 with the van. Worst problem occurred in April '04 when we tried to use air conditioning and it wouldn't cool. Van had 40000 miles so we took it to a private mechanic who said the problem was the condenser. He told us to try to get chevy to cover the repair. Dealership had the car for 3 days and told us the problem was a bad weld on the condenser causing it to leak but they would not cover the repair, and oh by the way "your head gasket is leaking and needs to be replaced.." This was 2 years after the vehicle was purchased! We demanded that the area chevy rep look at the vehicle. The rep told us chevy would not cover the condenser. Contacted chevy care center. We were told that we should be happy chevy volunteered to cover the head gasket ( a problem no private mechanic has confirmed existing to this day!). We are very frustrated that our 2 year old van requires $2300 worth of work. After spending $30,000 to purchase this vehicle we feel we deserve more than two seasons of air conditioning. Chevy is horrible and we understand why they are in such financial trouble. Has anyone else had problems with their condenser?
    :mad:
    I have 95K on an 2000 LT. Yesterday we had to go to Boston from NJ to pick up my daughter's bed and airconditioner from her apartment. 580 miles round trip. The practical nature of this van becomes more than apparent when I took out all the five seats and created a huge space. It just cobbled up the futon bed, frame, mattress and a/c unit.

It's long legged gearing was ideal and registered 29mpg on the read out which is really about 27mpg even with the air condioner going. Nevertheless we traveled in comfort and this van eats up the miles. Next week it will get its first set of spark plugs.

With so many criticisms posted on this site, this van is not all bad.
  • monswmonsw Member Posts: 1
    We had the same thing happen in our Venture. We had at least 40,000 miles but I think it was more. Thank goodness all the repairs I had done to the Van (and there were a lot and quite extensive) were done at the dealer. When the mechanic found my condenser had a leak in it he called the rep before he called me and said Chevy would replace the condenser but I would have to pay the labor. I was happy with that since we were our of warranty. But I have to tell you I have had really really horrible problems with the Van. 1 month after we owned it it just stopped dead. We had it towed to the dealer, they said water had gotten in the fuse box and blown a fuse (why we believed them I have no idea). They replaced the fuse and we went on our way but it has happened about 4 more times since that first time, We once spent $1,000 between Cleveland and Cincinnati and still got no answers. We still own the van since all the power locks and windows have been replaced, the condenser has been fixed and my son drives it. Since the first time it stopped dead in traffic I have never felt safe. We now have a Honda Odyssey and I an very happy with it. :(
  • wolverine2wolverine2 Member Posts: 5
    I have a similar problem with my safari. I have replaced the spark plugs,cap and rotor,wires,fuel filter,catalytic converter and problem is still not fixed. The fuel pump would likely set a code. My Mechanic is calling a engineer that he knows who now teaches this stuff and should have an answer by the end of the week.

If it is like mine and the engine starts and idles fine, it is not likely going to be electrical or timing. It is possible that it is in the the fuel system. Apparently GM used some hoses that were inadequate and sometimes collapse. Could also be the computer that controls the transmission. I will let you know when out for sure.
  • s10kevins10kevin Member Posts: 1
    I have called a couple of local GM dealerships. They have no record of GM offering this fix, after the alotted warranty period. I also have the exact same problem, and GM will do nothing to help. Where did you go to get your head gaskets replaced. I'm willing to tow the van a long way for free repairs. The cost of replacing these parts is ridiculous due to the amount of labour required.

Please respond
    Thanks
  • cheeze74cheeze74 Member Posts: 30
    While replacing my front brake pads today I noticed that the stabilizer bar was cracked on the top on the drivers side and the bottom on the passenger side. It is cracked where the bar is mounted to the bushing connected to the front end. I'm not sure of how long this problem has existed and if it is a common problem. Also am wondering if it would be possible to weld the breaks rather than replace the whole bar?
    If you are as fed up with your venture as I am, file a complaint through the NHTSA so that they can research our problems. Maybe they can get Chevy to do something about our similar problems, i.e windows, gaskets, air conditioners.

Here is the website: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/?CFID=1372897&CFTOKEN=38236678

Copy and paste the address and file your own complaint. Maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
    :D
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    You might also want to check out the Chevy Van Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion to see if the members there have any input. It's likely that someone there has had (and found a solution for) whatever problems you might be having with your Venture.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• eenaefeenaef Member Posts: 3
    98 Venture w/ 78k have had since 52k w/ no issues. About 6 months ago (about 8k miles) started this problem of stalling after starting. Then on next try it would start and run ok. Changed fuel filter, injector cleaner, etc. w/ no luck. Then learn if I turned key on to accessories for 3-4 seconds before starting it would start and run fine. Well this has worked 'til now. Now no matter how long I wait it stalls at least once then starts and runs. Suspect bad check valve in pump or weak pump. Would like to check fuel pressure but had myself and 3 buddies climb all over engine looking for pressure gauge ports. Any one know where ports are located? Anyone know if check valve can be replaced or if it is part of a non-servicable pump assembly?
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Eenaef, you might want to ask in the Chevy Van Owners: Problems & Solutions or the Idle or Stalling Problems: All Vehicles discussions.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• jesseboydjesseboyd Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for the information. Dealer used the TSB and this fixed the flickering lighs on my 2001 Venture. Parts $2, Labor $50, Mama's happy - Priceless
  • denisehdeniseh Member Posts: 6
    The fuel gauge on my 2000 Venture Van is not working. I have to keep checking my mileage to make sure I don't run out of fuel - since the gauge quit working, so did the low fuel warning bell. Any ideas what could be wrong? I have under 88,000 miles on the van.
  • manitobamanitoba Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 98 venture. I phoned around looking for a regulator at a wrecker, cost $250 canadian. Then I phoned the dealer and they said you can as of 6 months ago just buy the scissor arms for $65 canadian new and improved???. My arms were weak and would bend when my window went up and down.
    It took 2 hours to change, not bad for never doing it before. A few hints disconnect all the wiring & dont forget speaker wire and tie out of the way, also disconnect the door inner open handle (just clipped in) and tie handle and rods up out of the way. The whole black frame comes out as a unit. Window is heavy a second person might help. Mark the gear on the motor and watch your fingers when you disconnect the motor.
  • gerry6gerry6 Member Posts: 2
    After the oil has been changed on my 2000 chev. venture, how do you reset the service engine light that shows up on your dash so that it goes out?
  • gerry6gerry6 Member Posts: 2
    Same thing happened to me on my 2000 venture. Do not let them put in a new sensing guage inside of the fuel tank before they check for corrosion on the pins where a cable is plugged in that goes to the guage readings on the dash. after they cleaned the pins I didnt have any more problems. I learned the hard way because that sensing unit they put in the gas tank cost me about $400 Dollars and I dont think that I needed it.
  • crackcheckercrackchecker Member Posts: 32
    Turn your key ignition to the run position but not start the van. Fully pump the gas peddle down and up four to five times, then turn the key off. This will reset the change oil light.
  • nancie1nancie1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1998 LS, a year ago my time/temp/direction display quit working. I pulled the chip out and it is toast....Chevy wants 350.00 for a new one. I can get a used one from a junk yard for 50.00. Does anyone know if this is a common problem, or if there is a way to be sure that that is the problem?
    My horn keeps blowing fuses. Is this an electrical problem? It really stinks, as I would love to blow that horn. How would one determine the cause?
    I have a 1998 LS with 136K and I have had it for 4 years now. Only did a few minor things like serpentine belt this year, regular brakes, and general maintenance. I get fantastic gas milage, and can haul people and stuff! I am all about it. The only issues I have with it is my read out for milage, and direction, temp, etc. quit working and my horn keeps blowing fuses. Gotta figure that out. Any clues?
    I had the same thing go wrong at about 105,000 miles (just out of warranty, of course!). I asked to see the old part from inside the fuel tank, and the small contacts were completely worn away. If anyone ever has any doubts about thier mechanic, then ask for the old parts - it is law in most states. It is also a good way to double check wear on parts like plugs to get a better idea if you are changing them often enough.

GM now sells the sensor and float separate from the fuel pump now, significantly cutting down costs. The Venture has one of the easiest tanks to free and lower, incidentally.
    Never heard of any going bad - if you can get one used, than do it - a chip is generally good or it isn't. Even if it only lasts half as long, it is still a bargin! You might want to make sure that is the problem and that a short did not cause the chip to blow, if you can.
    For God's sake, spring for a K&N air filter - you do not have to service them nearly as often, they improve gas mileage while cleaning the air better, AND are reusable!

The Venture is so $%%^@& hard to change, do yourself a favor!
  • donkeyattroydonkeyattroy Member Posts: 2
    My venture is a 2002 one. It's very good and has never had any problems since I bought it brand new. The key is that you've got to treat it well and don't abuse it. The previous owner of your 2005 venture must have done something extraordinary stupid to this baby. That's why I don't buy used vehicle. Mine still looks as shiny as a new one, believe it or not. Venture is reliable, very reliable. I love it!
    I bought a used 1998 Venture LS in 2001, and I think it is fantastic. I treat it great, and it in turn treats me great. No real issues, just regular maintenance type things, and plenty of love! It is the best vehicle I have ever owned, and when it is time for another vehicle, I plan to do another used Venture. It has been very reliable and is fantastic for me to drive my twin daughters around with their cousins, or even their bikes and gear for a week long trip to IOWA. I will say that it doesn't seem to like Holiday gas. It chokes and gags. So, I just don't put that in it anymore.
    Just got the "new" chip for the driver info disp. I put it in myself, and it works! Hopefully I don't have a short and this one blows. How would a person go about finding out if I have a short? I don't want to spend alot of $. Is there something I can possiby do???
  • donkeyattroydonkeyattroy Member Posts: 2
    Up to today I've put 41k km on my Venture, just as great as always. 24 mpg in the city. never gave me any headache, sent in for service every 5k km,no hassal....
  • believerbeliever Member Posts: 1
    So it seems I am not alone! I've recently had problems with our 2002 Venture too. Admittedly, we have 66,600 miles on it but it's only three years old! About two weeks ago the windshield cracked and we went to have it replaced and the glass experts said it was because there was rust behind the molding which bubbled up, put pressure on the windshield and caused it to crack. Then about a week later the ABS started acting up - the light would come on and the ABS would prematurely activate occasionally. Then about a week after that the AC went warm and the dealer told us that the condenser was leaking!

I went a few rounds with the dealer and GM and right now they aint payin' for squat. I need to write a few letters and such but I don't think I'm going to get too far. Sad part is we really liked the van and it was pretty much trouble free until it hit the three year mark - now it's falling apart. So for the first time in my life I visited the Japanese car maker sights and... I liked what I saw! Sionara GM! I'm willing to bet that even if the vehicles are no better I'll at least get treated better!

You'd think that after buying 12 GM vehicles in about 15 years they'd throw me a bone or something - nope!
  • angrydad742angrydad742 Member Posts: 2
    Has anybody had this problem with their power door locks? Where it used to unlock all the doors with the driver door switch, it doesn't do anything now, where it used to lock the doors when I put the car in gear it doesn't do that now (only if I hit the door switch after I put it in gear), and it doesn't always lock the doors when I'm getting out unless I hit the switch. Sometimes I have to lock/unlock each door manually. Is it a fuse or switch that I should be looking for? I have about 54000 miles on the car.
    (please forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere. I am a new member today - I signed up after I found out about myspeed control board being the prolem with my A/C level 1 and 2).
  • angrydad742angrydad742 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. Of course my van is out of warranty now (I have a 3rd party ext warranty). Will that make a difference?
  • vincewood30vincewood30 Member Posts: 48
    I bought a 2000 Chevy Venture and drove it all the way from NY to CA. The check engine light came on and put my scanner on it. It's reading Code 300 random cylinder misfire. Anyone have this problem before? Also when it stalled sometime when I got off the freeway for gas but restarted without any problems. Plus when I was going up the hills it sounded like the transmission was slipping. It'd jump into passing gear but would still loose speed. I'd pull over for 5 minutes and would drive just fine over the same hill.
  • blackhawkbabyblackhawkbaby Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2005 venture that is missing the same piece. Does anyone know where or if I can buy a replacment for it?
  • sully0522sully0522 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1999 chevy venture and just last night i went through the same thing with the van stalling and it not sounding right. well i took it to a mechnanic and it said it needed a tune-up after the tune-up he takes it for a test drive and he comes back without the van. He said the engine blew! Now i am without a van and now have to find a new mechanic to do the job of a new engine. I am wondering if the ventures have recalls on engines. Why is this happening to more then one person?
  • bambam1353bambam1353 Member Posts: 1
    I have 1998 Venture - the interior control lights (buttons) vary between each button everyday (some days lit some not). Any ideas?
    Also, I am trying to locate a cylinder head for the same model. I refuse to have the gaskets replaced prior to locating heads in the event one is cracked. Any help would be appreciated.
  • catoniscatonis Member Posts: 10
    Hi--

I own a 2000 Venture, almost 6 years old now, with aprox 57K.
    I have had many of the common problems: especially the coolant leak- gaskets. This has happened twice, most recently in the Spring, when GM completely covered the cost, thanks to info I found here.
    Lately, the transmission has been shifting very roughly only when the AC is on. I have read many others have had this problem, but no one has linked it to the AC. I guess from reading that it is the solenoid?
    If GM had not recently done a free major repair, I would look to them.
    I just spent $600 on van, and hope to get about 6 more months out of it before I sell.
    Any help?
  • t5_compt5_comp Member Posts: 1
    "Then about a week later the ABS started acting up - the light would come on and the ABS would prematurely activate occasionally."

Believer - Did you ever determine what was causing the ABS to act up? I have a 2002 AWD Venture that's doing the same thing.
  • bassykingbassyking Member Posts: 3
    I have 1998 Venture LS and I be driving along on a hot day with the air conditioner on and then for no reason the electrical system inside the cabin shuts down. The system shuts down the A/C system, blower fans, radio, door locks and power windows. Everything is quiet. What stays on is the interior lights, signal lights and head lights??? Has anyone ever had this happen to them? If so did you find the cause and what was the fix? This is driving me nuts???
  • catoniscatonis Member Posts: 10
    Hi--

I posted a few days ago about my transmission problem.
    My van shifts roughly on occasion.
    From what I read here, I suspect the solenoid.
    If I keep driving it, am I risking ruining the whole transmission?
    Thanks