Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• walterchanwalterchan Member Posts: 61
    Sounds like Chevy Venture is a great van but I'm concerned about the 2nd and 3rd row comfort. We have 4 adults who always sits in the 2nd and 3rd row seat and I would like to make sure if the 4 adults will be comfortable or not. I have heard that it isn't comfortable.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • nattanatta Member Posts: 9
    I just bought a 2000 venture and the 2nd and 3rd row seats are comfortable but they do seem to sit a little low to the floor,But on the other hand this van has theater seating which lets the rear passengers see over the top of the people in front of them.
  • robert1027robert1027 Member Posts: 1
    has anyone had the experience of going from one to the other? Looking to buy, but looking for some caparisons, especially reliability
    I used to own a 1993 dodge caravan sport,and traded it recently on a 2000 venture just because I was having transmission problems with it .Yes there was 90,000 miles on the caravan but if you go to the caravan topics list they still seem to have there tranny problems with the 1999 models.I don't know if they fixed the problems on the 2000
    models but I was'nt willing to take another chance.Overall so far i'm very happy with my venture it seems to have plenty of power and it is very stable on the road.The braking is smooth,
    the acceleration is good and the overall fit and finish is good.
    satisfied
    venture owner
  • rfc74lawrfc74law Member Posts: 7
    TO: EMACE

I purchased a new 1999 LT VENTURE in August. I have the same noise. It is a rattling sound when releasing the foot brake and mine does it every time I park and start up again. I am told by the service people where I bought it, that the noise is the result of the ABS system re-setting itself. I have taken their word for it and have had not pursued it any further. Have you pursued it any further?

Has anyone else out there noticed this particular noise?
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    The ABS does a self test during start-up unless your foot is on the brake. In that case it waits until after the brake is released to do the test. Try starting the van both ways to see if there is a difference. I normally start the van with my foot off the brake, and the only noise I hear after start-up is the load leveling compressor running for a few seconds.
    hardesty,

I see what you mean. It really does make a difference. Great information about the ABS system. Thanks.
  • mikey26mikey26 Member Posts: 1
    looking to lease chevy venture or grand caravan?
    any help would be appreciated.
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Mikey26, have you checked out the vehicles and financial rates at a dealer? Ask the group some specific questions so we can begin to narrow down your concerns :)

guitarzan
    Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • babbanbabban Member Posts: 1
    We are planning to buy a Venture LS extended (loaded) in the next couple of days. we got an offer of 24182 excluding rebates from a local dealer. Any comments on if this is a good deal.
  • bigdtvbigdtv Member Posts: 2
    How loaded is "loaded?" If you've got most of the options, that sounds like a really good price to me. I've priced one with almost all the options at around 25500, so you're doing well.
    Can the headrests on the Venture (have a 1999) be removed? If so, how? Is there some sort of secret to removing them?
  • roeshroesh Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I'm new to this board and trying to figure out the difference between the venture (warners brother ed.) and the Oldsmobile Premire?
    thanks!
    roesh
  • daverosedaverose Member Posts: 233
    The Chevrolet Warner Brothers Edition, the Oldsmobile Silhouette Premiere, and the Pontiac Montanta with Montanavision are those General Motors extended wheelbase minivans that come equipped with a foldaway video display screen installed in the roof behind and between the front seats that will carry the picture for the included video cassette player, or similar electronic display input from other mediums such as video games and lap top computers.

As high-end vehicles, I would guess that they are very similar to each other, given the differences in suspension tuning, exterior features (a metal grill on the Venture, lower body cladding on the Montana) interior features (seat materials, colors, and configurations) and pricing that otherwise differentiate Ventures from Silhouettes from Montanas.

To best answer your implied next question, you might try what I did: Copy, paste, and reconfigure the Edmunds' or other web site's descriptions and price listings of each vehicle, including the coding, SIDE-BY-SIDE, in a word processing or spreadsheet application and become familiar with them. Do NOT forget to check the holdback information available in the Edmunds' site!

Go to each brand's Web site and create you own sticker; become familiar with those. Obtain a brochure of each vehicle from a dealer (or order from the vehicle brand web site) to compare.

Once you're familiar with the descriptions, go look at and test drive the vehicles.

After you look and test drive, you will probably find yourself leaning toward one of them. Negotiate your best deal; don't be afraid to start negotiating well BELOW invoice. Be reluctant, but not immovable, to SLOWLY come up.
  • tbell3tbell3 Member Posts: 1
    Just saw the Warner Bros. edition last night...what a wonderful vehichle. We were in the car dealers office ready to sign the papers on a new Tahoe for our family when the Venture caught our eye. We are now looking into the WB edition and are interested in purchasing. Does anyone know if the Warner Bros edition is a one year promotion or if there will be a 2001 model. Loved the TV and VCR would like to know if available in the future on perhaps the LT model?
  • yo_frientyo_frient Member Posts: 1
    We brought home a 99 Venture "Program Car" for an overnight test drive. This van handled and felt great. It features: plenty of power from the V-6, front and rear air, power sliding door, drivers side sliding door, 2 integrated child seats (both needed), a few scrapes on the rubber bumpers, spilled red cool aid on the carpet but otherwise, after a dealer provided detail, I think will look really nice. Has anyone had any serious concerns mechanically, ergonomically or safety related. I am especially curious about the safety of the child seats and have found no reports related to them. We are also considering a Ford Winstar and Pontiac Montana (similar to Venture). For the Venture, they are asking 20,995 and it has 22000 miles. Any help and advice would be appreciated.
    The van sounds like it is pretty nice but you may want to see if you can do a bit better with that price ,I just bought a 2000 venture extended with 8 passenger seating and payed 21,300 after rebates.I would try to haggle a little bit on the price.otherwise this is a great van yes the windstar is safer but your going to pay alot more to get so little.montana is the same thing as venture just with some bodyside molding.whatever you choose i'm sure you will be happy with it.
  • buckeyetim2buckeyetim2 Member Posts: 1
    Natta,

Was your 2000 extended model a Plus extended or an LS? 21300 is a great price. what esle is on it?
    It is a venture plus extended with wheels, duel air,am fm cassette and it includes everything on the 1sb package . also luggage carrier.
  • cubsfancubsfan Member Posts: 1
    Help! I love my Butler Blue 2000 Venture LT Ext, except for the problem with the load leveling suspension. I've had it to the dealer three times now...they've replaced a faulty sensor, but it acted up again. What are the odds of having another faulty sensor?
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    Thanks in advance.
  • beckleydbeckleyd Member Posts: 1
    We are in the haggling stage with the dealer. he gave us a price of the WB to $26,800. It has few options on the power door, extra intergrated child seat and the trailering provisions. We also got an interest rate of 7.5 for 48 months. How does this sound? This includes $1,500.00 worth of rebate incentives.
    How does the price compare to the dealer's invoice? What do you mean by "This includes $1,500.00 worth of rebate incentives." is the price $26,800, or $28,300? It is my understanding that the $1,500 is a General Motors incentive. So, you should compare the price the dealer is offering you, WITHOUT INCENTIVES, to the dealer's invoice; the closer you come to the dealer's invoice price, OR BELOW, the better the deal. You should not let the salesman/dealer confuse you by including the incentive in the price negotiation; it should be part of how you pay that negotiated price. That is; you arrive at a negotiated price less a trade-in, if you have one (the BOTTOM line), then you pay that price with a deposit/down payment, the manufacturer's rebate, and your financing. Also, don't let the dealer add a processing or documentation fee separately from the negotiated price, unless it's for an additional service such as title work with the motor vehicle department. You can accept such a documentation or processing fee if they take it out of the negotiated price; in some states, I believe that may, in addition to your trade-in, further lower the sales tax you might have to pay.
  • bap20bap20 Member Posts: 1
    Am interested in purchasing either a 2000 venture LS regular or 2000 venture LS extended. Wanted to know if the rear air conditioning option is necessary for people sitting in the middle or rear seats.
  • stanojevicstanojevic Member Posts: 2
    How good is the 3.4 liter and can it do better than 200k overall, are there any problems you've heard of for the 1999 or 2000 improvements and what kind of mileage can i really expect per gal.
    I'm using the van for 9hrs. a day and many start ups. Mike
  • wis9wis9 Member Posts: 3
    We own a 1998 Chevy Venture LS and it has been a great van for our family traveling. We haul all of our stuff in it and hook up our boat and we're off the northern Minnesota at least 6 times a year. The van has 39253 miles to date,[I took it to work today]with no signs of engine problems, the only problem with this van at all was the power sliding door but that was fixed some 32000 miles ago and has not returned. The van probably would make it if you just take care of the engine. Change oil every 3000 miles. The 3400 has 100000 mile spark plugs, 150000 mile coolant and 100000 mile transmission fluid [I think]!
    You shouldn't run into much rouitne matinance till you hit the 100000 mile mark, but I think it could do it.
  • wis9wis9 Member Posts: 3
    The rear air conditioner is a great option to get and your family members will benefit from it greatly.
    Good Luck!!
  • stanojevicstanojevic Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have a Venture van with more than 100k or 150k and still happy with it, any problems along the way, or still powerful to drive more.What kind of actual mpg can you get on the highway.

Mike
  • bigd10bigd10 Member Posts: 1
    In the Pros and Cons on the Chevy Venture Warner Bros. Edition, they stated one of the Cons was flimsy modular seating. Does any one that has this vehicle feel the seating is flimsy??
  • 6kids6kids Member Posts: 2
    I plan to purchase a 2000 Venture Extended Plus in the next few weeks. A local Chevy dealer is listing one (Extended LS) for $28,220, with a Msrp of $25,500. The destination charge is $605 and add ons include Front and rear AC ($475), Power door ($450), 8 passenger seating ($290) power driver seat ($270), luggage rack ($225), Radio ($200) and rear seat audio controls ($155). They are also offering a $1500 rebate, so I assume the total price of the car is $26,720. Reading the various web sites (including Edmunds), the dealer invoice is $22,217, F&R AC ($408), Power door ($430), 8 seats ($280), Power seat (couldn't find a price, so $270), luggage rack ($194), the radio (couldn't find a price, so $200) and rear seat audio controls (couldn't find a price,so $155) with the $605 destination charge makes $23,759. Minus the $1500 rebate makes $22,259. Given that $22,259 is the cost and $26,720 is the asking price (difference of $4460), what is a reasonable price I should be able to obtain the car for? Any suggestions on how to obtain the lowest price would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • 6kids6kids Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, adding error on post #237. Final cost should be $23,259 (difference of $3460) from the listed price of $26,720.
  • mrcars1mrcars1 Member Posts: 1
    This is not the minivan to buy. it did the worst in the offset crash test by the IIHS than any other van. you can buy it unless you want the dash and steering wheel over your head. don't believe me? go to hwysafety.org and see for yourself.
  • stevensorianostevensoriano Member Posts: 40
    Me & the Mrs. have a 98 Venture and, after 30k, we are pretty happy. The engine continues to be strong and no problems to report. The power door failed to close once, but the reset procedure was easy. The only complaint we have is an electrical gremlin that showed up in the rear radio controls.
    Since we never use the rear radio, it hasn't been a problem.
  • msierramsierra Member Posts: 1
    cubsfan posted on 16 Nov. an ongoing problem with the suspension on his '99 Venture. I have about 5000 miles on mine and have the touring suspension. I am starting to encounter major problems. For no reason the rear suspension just seems to go out. My family and will bounce down the highway for miles until it corrects itself. Now it has a new trick. It seems as if the shocks are locking in the fully extended position and the van sounds like it is bottoming out on even the smallest bump. I am taking it to the dealer in the next day or so. Anyone had similar problems? What was it and how was it resolved. Thanks fo any help.
    Sounds like the load leveling feature not working correctly.
  • baja5baja5 Member Posts: 4
    We're having the same problem--shaking, bouncing, and sounding as if the rear end is falling out on the ground. Problem is, it's intermittent, so our two trips back to the dealer havn't helped--they say they can't reproduce the problem (by driving it about 10 miles) so they don't know what's wrong.
  • greg32greg32 Member Posts: 48
    stevensoriano,

Can you tell me how you reset the power door?

We've had problems closing our door a few times in cold weather. BTW, we have a 1997 Venture extended with 31k miles and few problems. A window that rattles that they fixed and we're taking it in to have them look at squeaky back wheels before the warranty runs out. Probably the brakes. Otherwise it has been a good, reliable car.

Thanks,

Greg
  • stevensorianostevensoriano Member Posts: 40
    The owners manual tells the story...Basically it entails disconnecting the battery,and counting to 10....Then putting it back.

We did it once...And it worked.
    I'm browsing to fall asleep again, so I really can't take the time to re-check it for you without stimulating myself wide awake. Removal of stains was discussed in one of the Repair & Maintenance topics, in one of the archived groups of "What's the Best Polish and Wax." (That topic is so popular that it recurringly reaches the 500 or so messages that forces Edmunds to freeze a topic and start a new one, so there are probably four or five sets of linked older groups.) Playing around with the Search feature may get you the info you need in the quickest way possible. Also, since I have not looked through all the Repair and Maintenance topics, there might be one listed.
  • placemakerplacemaker Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a '99 Venture LS (prior to crash test info coming out and to maintain marital harmony!). Has anyone had problems with the doors leaking? With the winter weather setting in everytime it has rained or snowed (then melts) the front doors leak and soak the floor boards. Last time it sound like milk jug draining through the passenger side door! Yes, the doors and windows are closed. At about 450 miles on it and am really bummed.
  • venmanvenman Member Posts: 5
    do you have a roof rack on your van? if so check to see if the bolts are tight.I had a leak in the back seat and it was due to loose roofrack bolts.
  • creidcreid Member Posts: 54
    My brother in law owns his own carpet business so this remedy will solve your problem. Go to the store & purchase a product called Sudsy Ammonia. Do not purchase ammonia only Sudsy Ammonia, also purchase a spray bottle. But the sudsy in the spray bottle & also have a white bath towel that you can ruin. You will also need a Iron. Turn your Iron on at the vehicle to it's hottest setting & ensure that the steam is OFF. Spray the sudsy ammonia on the stain take the towel & place it over the stain (fold the towel in half) next press the iron over the towel directly over the stain. Do this very sparingly for about 10 to 15 seconds at a time. If you spend too long ove the stain you will pull the die from the carpet but if you do as I recommended you will magically pull the kool-aid stain from the carpet into the white towel. Keep trying the method until the stain either dissapears or is very faint. Sometimes you cannot get it all out but you can make it so faint that it can't be seen readily. If the sudsy ammonia doesn't work (which I doubt) then you can purchase a product called red out, this can be obtained at most carpet cleaning supply stores and is used in the same fashion as the sudsy ammonia. Any questions feel free to email me at cdrmr1@cs.com
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Thanks for the stain removal info! I'm saving that for future reference. One question: Does the ammonia smell last long?

KarenS
    Vans host
  • creidcreid Member Posts: 54
    Karen the ammonia smell doesn't last long at all since most of it evaporated during the iron process the most of the smell will be when ammonia gets hot & leaves as a gas.
  • kinjalkinjal Member Posts: 7
    is it true that Venture Plus and ANY OLDSMOBILE doest not offer this option?

How important is this?
    how can one find out about GM stock price?
    my local dealer was not responsive.
    Kinjal, are you trying to find out what an employee can buy a vehicle for? I'm sure there are topics dedicated to this in Smart Shopper. Also, what relation are you to an employee of GM? You should talk to that employee, as they are given explicit information about buying vehicles when they are hired.

Guitarzan
    Couldn't find anything in Smart Shopper or elsewhere on Edmund's site.

May be I am missing a step.

My employer (not GM) has arrangement with GM that lets us buy GM vehicle at a set price of 3% over GM Stock price (also explained as price GM employee pay).

No more information is available.

I was trying to find out if anyone knew how to get more information and how doe sthat price compare to typical invoice price.
    I see. Well, not many people have access to GM's Stock price. So, I'd be inclined to pick out a car, then ask a dealer how they compare. I don't know if it applies to all makes, but I've seen some people post that the employee prices are well below invoice. When you're ready to buy, do your homework here at Edmund's, and when they throw the price your way, you'll already have an idea of how it compares to invoice.

Sorry about the topic thing. I did find a topic, but it has been dead for a while now. If it's not active, you might not find much help. Feel free to start your own topic!

Guitarzan
  • walterchanwalterchan Member Posts: 61
    Can someone tell me which is more reliable. Either a Chevy Venture, Dodge Grand Caravan, Ford Windstar, or a Honda Odyssey. When I look on the Chevy Venture post, people have very few problems they have with there vehicles. And I agreed the Chevy Venture most reliable of all that I am interested it right now. Let me know if I am wrong.
  • greg32greg32 Member Posts: 48
    Consumer reports puts out a yearly issue that shows reliability of all models. This may be somewhat skewed since it is based on the input from people that get consumer reports and fill out their form yearly to reports problems they have had with vehicles. I'm one of those people. Maybe Honda owners don't fill out the forms ;)

We have a '97 chevy venture extended version fully loaded with options. The only problems we've had are rattling windows, electric door sometimes doesn't close in the winter (closes after car warms up a little), emergency brake cable came out of channel. All have been fixed by the dealer except the door problem which is hard to reproduce so we've decided to live with it. Other than these minor problems its been a great car. Turn the key and go. It handles better than the other vans we tested at the time and would buy it again if we had to.

Good luck.