Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• jholstonjholston Member Posts: 2
    Ok guys i just drove my wifes 1999 Chevy Venture van from fredericktown to mtvernon about 15miles or less. Get to town and stop at the first light and the van is not running good. Felt like it was missing reallly bad and shaking. so we hit the store quick then stop to pick up pizza. Not wanting to run the van i park it run in come back out 5 to 10min later and it won't start. Finally starts and BIG cloud of whitish gray smoke rolls out. We head home van running like crap when ever you stop. Get almost home a block and the temp goes way up was fine all the way home. Pull in the drive and shut her down. Went back out and she starts but get whitish smoke for cpl sec and smells after you shut it down almost like an electrical burn smell if you have ever smelled that. Engine light on and flashing. Van only has 60k miles on it oil always changed driven by wife local in town driving. Any ideas or thoughts.
  • jholstonjholston Member Posts: 2
    got bad feeling its head gaskets or something whats this cost iam considering putting a remanufactured engine in. As the cost of head work is expensive.
  • familyof5familyof5 Member Posts: 7
    From the description, I would also say "Head Gasket.' I have a 2000 Chevy venture and the Head Gasket is still good. But I do have an old 1985 Pontiac Acadian where I had White Smoke coming out of the tail pipe and black sludge in the Air filter where the Oil and Antifreeze combined. It ran really lousy too. In the end it was a head gasket.
  • johnwilcoxjohnwilcox Member Posts: 2
    Cross posted under Idling and Stalling problems.

I have a 97 Venture with 144K miles on it. I have recently replaced:

serpentine belt
    tension pulley
    harmonic balancer
    water pump
    MAF sensor
    Throttle positioning sensor
    ECM (a year ago)

The serpentine belt kept coming off, finally narrowed that problem down to the harmonic balancer wobbling, which threw out the tension pulley. Also replaced the water pump, in case this was also a problem. After doing that, I found some water leaks, and tore the engine down to the intake manifold, found a few bad hoses and connectors. Then after putting everything back together, the van is now stalling when idling (sometimes) or coming to a stop (sometimes). It doesn't matter if the engine is warm or cold. I've gone back through and checked all the vacuum hoses. Everything looks okay.

The "Check engine light" was on , the codes came up as P0102 and P1441. P0102 was the Mass Air Flow sensor, so I put on one of those. Then reset the codes, drove it around, stalling again, check light comes, check the codes, same as before. Faulty MAF?

Go back to auto parts, get another one. Same routine. Still stalls. My buddy at the auto parts gives me a new MAP sensor to try and see if this is also a propblem. It's not. So I go back home, and fiddle around with all the connections, look at the wiring harness and can't find anything wrong. Some research on the internet and the Chilton's manual suggested a new Throttle Positioning sensor. So this morning I put on one of those.

My wife takes it for a test drive, after letting it idle for about twenty minutes in the drivewayy. Seems to run fine. We stopped and started with no trouble and go back home. Then later this evening, she takes it out and guess what? IT STALLS!!!!!!!

Does anybody have any idea what else is wrong here? What else should I look at, how can I test for other problems? I read something about the brake booster. Anybody know anything about a faulty brake booster causing a stalling problem? I've already thrown several hundred dollars at this and really don't want to waste another 200-300 dollars on somemthing that may not even be the problem.

Thanks in advance and sorry so long!

John
  • chinnerychinnery Member Posts: 2
    I have the same "problem" Noticed it first on the freeway behind trucks and when passing. It is definitely a turbulence issue I believe. Had it on my 98 Venture and now on my 2005.
  • texas4texas4 Member Posts: 11
    Boga228,
    thanks.....i started having the coolant flushed/changed every year...last time had it pressure tested, every thing still good.....
    i'll start checking the oil for coolant also.......
    it's a shame these cars are not better quality engine/tranny..they have a lot of room, ok gas mileage, and easy to drive...
    had the van detailed out the other day for wife....looked brand new, like the day we drove it off from the dealer...
    hope we get 6 more years out of it....
  • mhenricksmhenricks Member Posts: 1
    I need some help. I have problems with my Ventures electrical system I think. When I put the van in gear I get odd reaction when I step on the brake or use the turn signals. For example when I step on the brakes the bake up lights come on very dim. When I use the turn signal the brake parking and back up lights "strobe". It does not seem to exhibit these problems while in park. I am at a loss. Any suggestions.
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    My rear window washer on my 98 Venture has not worked in a few months. Not sure if it's a pump or plugged line or perhaps pinched off somewhere. Anyone with similar problem, would aprrieciate any info. Thank you.
  • wheelbuilderwheelbuilder Member Posts: 2
    Our 98 Venture was doing very similar stalling while driving along. It turned out to be a crummy electrical connector to the fuel pump. This connector was under the body of the van, near the fuel filter. (if memory serves me correctly) I cleaned up the contacts, and applied dielectric grease to keep water and dirt out. That was 2 years ago, so far, so good.

Aaron
  • wheelbuilderwheelbuilder Member Posts: 2
    Our 98 has a similar problem. But first, check the fluid level, the rear pump runs dry more quickly, as they share the same resevoir, and it's mounted higher. Otherwise, ours was caused by the line dropping off the connector at the fluid reservoir. If you try washing the rear window, and notice a puddle on the ground at the front passenger side, that's your problem. It's hard to reach, but can easily be slid back on. A zip tie has helped prevent this from recuuring regularly.
  • albertaman1albertaman1 Member Posts: 1
    Our 2001 venture has extended warranty which expires this August. The van is running fine at the moment. We have had the head gasket replaced and some AC work done under warranty.

I want to get as much fixed under warranty as I can. Should I bring it in to the dealer for an inspection or what?? How much help would a dealer be it this situation?

Thanks for any suggestions
  • coyoteeecoyoteee Member Posts: 1
    I have a Chevy Venture minivan. Somebody sit in 3rd row spilled a cup of coffee on the floor. 4 hours letter, my engine light got on, and then, the fuel gage went to empty. A quick check by mechanic (with computer code) told
    me that both the fuel level sensor and fuel pressure sensor reading were wrong. An estimated cost for replacement may exceed 400 bucks. I suspect it's just
    a minor problem on connection contaminated by the damn coffee. Whoever know where I can get the wiring diagram of 99' Chevy Venture, so that I can do more detailed check and save that 400 bucks?
  • kayfusleekayfuslee Member Posts: 16
    The low coolant light on my 2000 chevy venture(50K)has come on permanently. The coolant level is good. If its a sensor, where exactly is it located? Could not find any reference book at the library with such detailed info. Although the level is fine, I sometimes can smell antifreeze when I get out of the car. Other than this I've never had a problem with
    this van. Except they could have put some arm rests on the value van.
  • boga228boga228 Member Posts: 50
    The sensor is about 2" below the raditor cap. you should be able to see the wire connector on the side also. Smell of coolant could be in a lot of places, it cound be a leak around the intake manifold or the water pump with that kind of mileage.
    Try the Haynes book not much detail but helpful, for sure the dealer book has it becuase i have one. you can purchase it at www.helm.com for about 100.00
  • voiceofstlvoiceofstl Member Posts: 8
    My Driver information center DIC went out no display like its not geting any power. Where is the fuse for this. i can't find it. Anybody else have a problem with the DIC. How much to replace it?
  • jsgillisjsgillis Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 venture with 139000 miles on it. The only work I have had 2 have done is the relay switch to the cooling fan for the radiator and the relay for the blower fan. I purchased the van when it had 93000 miles on it from a company, it was a salesmans van. I drive about 6000 miles a month, change the oil every month, I use full synthetic, change the brake fluid, powering steering fluid, transfluid and coolant about every 6 months, about the same on tune-ups also....but is just regular maintenace 2 me. :)
  • 97979797 Member Posts: 1
    the 4th gear shift solenoid may be gone with the hood open key on engine off stand in front of van and listen for solenoid clicking noise from trans noise will be coming from the area under the air filter housing
    Used a Snap On Scanner on the tranny, Solnoid good. Pretty sure friction plates worn. thanks
  • mickey14mickey14 Member Posts: 2
    This may be too late but I just replaced mine. $85.00 motor from Nappa and 20 minutes of work - taking my time.
  • dee_deedee_dee Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Venture with 120,000 miles on it. When I am in gear and at a stop with my foot on the brake, my engine vibrates and shakes the whole car. It's loud inside the car, but you can't hear it outside the car. It's not the motor mounts, those are still good. It's gotten so bad that when I am at a stop, I put my car in neutral and this quiets the car down. (It's also not the muffler). Anyone else have this problem? Thanks :shades:
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    Maybe the idle RPM is set too high. If you have a tach, what is this RPM?
  • thefugitivethefugitive Member Posts: 4
    Hello, just found this wonderful forum. Has already helped me troubleshoot some issues. My rear wiper isn't working on my 2000 venture. It goes about 1/2 a rotation then stops and makes the loudest grinding noise. I'm pretty much convinced I need to replace the motor but for the life of me can't seem to figure out how to get to the motor, can't find a way to remove the hatch's inside door panel to get to it. Please Help!
    Have owned my 2000 venture since it had 30K on it, it now has 124. Since I first bought the van the headlights and interior (dash and dome) lights flicker in time to the engine RPM. If I rev the motor the flicker frequency increases. Never had any charging problems but think that this may be the voltage reg in the alternator. Any help is appreciated, Thanks.
    2000 Venture, 124K miles. Low coolant level light is on constantly even though level is fine. I do get a slight coolant smell when the motor gets hot. No visible leaks, had cooling system pressure checked and it checks good. While idleing when engine is hot the temp jumps way up but then starts back down then kind of oscillates up and down (this is very troublesome on the interstate in bad traffic). Once back up to speed the engine cools back down quickly. I've have not yet replaced intake manifold gaskets and still run Dexcool. Could this be the culprit for these symptoms. Didn't know maifold gaskets were such an issue till I found this forum. Maybe I should replace them and switch to universal coolant. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    I think there is a TSB on this problem. It has to do with a grounding lug. You can search this and the other GM Van forums for info on this.
  • thundermtxthundermtx Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Venture w/ 118K miles, am getting a coolant leak off the bottom of the engine, can either trace it to the thermostat housing or the water pump? Anybody had problems before? :confuse:
  • snomansnoman Member Posts: 1
    With 124K on the intake gaskets I can almost guarantee that is your problem. Felpro makes a new gasket that is metal and rubber instead of plastic. They work great.
  • y_did_i_bythisy_did_i_bythis Member Posts: 1
    Well I am new to this discussion and I am hoping and praying someone on here can help me. Today my daughter and I were driving in my 97 chevy venture with less than 70,000 miles on it. Weathers not to hot and we weren't driving very fast and we didn't go that far when Bam!!! I thought I had blown a tire and stop the car to take a look! Well it wasn't a tire it was the engine. So Luckly for me we had less than 4 miles to go and I put on my hazards and hobbeled her home. I don't smell anything burning -nothing is leaking - oils full. I have no idea what this could be. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEADS??

PLEASE HELP!!
  • kklobekklobe Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,
    My wife and I have a 2000 Venture and I am in desperate need of the power assist sliding door(actuator) schematics. The two drive cables came off of their respective tracks and got chewed to pieces...I had since removed the cables but now I am just tired of not having the power door.
    We have three small children and we could use the help getting in and out of the van. I have finally found someone who will make the new cables as I can't find with without the actuator assemble...$700.00 But without the old cables to guide on length and diameter(before the plastic coating) I'm in a bad way, well frustrated anyway.

Has anyone had any luck finding the cables by themselves? Or does anyone know where I can find the internal schematics of the actuator to view the cables and such?

We bought our van used in 02/03 and we all love it. It's amazing what regular service will do for longevity. Other then the cable issue, our van has been absolutely outstanding! We just took a vacation from Missouri and drove to Utah to see family stationed at Hill AFB. We averaged around 600 miles to the tank and we only had to fill up one additional time after we initially filled up and left Missouri! Our children love watching movies, and mom and I LOVE the headsets! I'll be fabricating a wooded entertainment center(vcr) as our current one is cracked on one side(love working with wood). I'll post the entertainment center when it's done if anyone is interested.

Thanks for any help!

Kevin
  • vanderdavanderda Member Posts: 2
    I am having the exact same problem? Did you have any luck?
  • vanderdavanderda Member Posts: 2
    How did you remove the rear panel to gain access?
  • sheboutshebout Member Posts: 3
    Anyone have good advice regarding the venture WB edition DVD player? Our DVD player will only play some DVDs. The ones that won't play are "spit back out" of the player after about five minutes. I have tried pressing different buttons on the console and on the remote, but none seem to make them play (the screen never comes on and no audio). When I first got the van new back in 2000 most of the movies would play. But as time has gone by it will now play fewer and fewer. Now it won't even play some movies that it did before. I tried to figure out if it is a certain kind of movie that won't play (ie. full screen vs. widescreen), but there doesn't seem to be a pattern. I have tried cleaning the player, but that hasn't helped. The chevy garage was no help - they said they could pull the player out and send it off to be fixed for several hundred dollars. Has anyone else had similar problems?? :confuse:
  • indrgbindrgb Member Posts: 115
    You say it's a DVD player, but the Venture didn't get a DVD player until 2002 model year. Prior years had a VCP. My 2000 Silhouette has a VCR. I had trouble with it about two years ago. It had a problem similar to yours. Don't take it to a dealer. They are clueless on entertainment systems. They told me it would be $400 for a rebuilt VCR. I ended up buying an automobile style VCR from Crutchfield for about $130 and installed it myself. It was a little tricky, but I did it and it works great.

Before I installed the new VCR, I tried installing a DVD player. It would not work correctly. Something is different about the wiring from the player to the screen. The DVD player would work, but the screen would scramble every few seconds. I confirmed this with multiple players.

Another option: take your van to an auto trim shop that sells and installs video systems. It won't be as cheap as DIY, but it will be less than a dealer.
  • mczkpoteetmczkpoteet Member Posts: 2
    Okay...I'm new and stumbled here from a search engine. I have a 98 Chevy Venture that I bought new, it now has 177,710 miles on it. All of the sudden, today while I'm driving my low coolant light starts flashing. When I get to a stopping point, I check the coolant, it is at the acceptable levels. The stupid light won't stop flasing. Is this just a sensor going out or is this a major problem? The thermostat was replaced 3 years ago. Thanks!
    To all who have their van still under warranty, If you suspect that you have a coolant/oil gasket leak, I would recommend that you get it repaired. They have the new intake gasket p/n 89017279. Make sure you refer them to Service Bulletin 03-06-01-010, because of the new torque Spec's
    Sensor is mounted in the radiator 4 inches below the radiator cap. make sure coolant is above the sensor and also check the wiring too.
    The Service Manual doesn't really have a schematic on the actuator assembly or the cable all show is how to replace the assembly.
    Check your coolant level and also make sure the coolant isn't in the oil. It sounds like either a intake or head gasket blown.
    Sounds like the flex plate could be crack. Hope that helps
  • texas4texas4 Member Posts: 11
    just wanted thanks to all that have posted here and the replies that i got to questions i asked....
    after having some of the problems many of you had with my 2000 chevy venture, never any of the gasket problems yet... however, with the transmisson acting funny, and being quoted $1800 by 2 different transmission shops to fix/rebuild, we decided to move on to a new car...
    i'll check back ever now then to remind myself why i went into debt...
    best of luck to all....former texas venture owner...
  • jk06jk06 Member Posts: 7
    Takes 5 or 6 starts before motor will keep running. Once it contues to run it works great, I assume it is not the fuel pump. Any suggestions I would really appreciate.
  • homermedichomermedic Member Posts: 10
    My 2002 Chev Venture has the driver's side wiper arm, over extending. It seats back down to where it should be when off, but there is play in the arm/motor action. I suspect that this where the problem is? Do I have to change the assembly for this or is there a quick re-setting of the arm?
    Appreciate the help.
  • jolyne77jolyne77 Member Posts: 5
    hey, mine does the same thing, what did you find out? also, the gage to the gas tank is doing something screwy. im interested in what you did about the windshield wipers, my drivers side doesnt tuck all the way in either, and they hesitate when verical. i'll be checking to see any reply, thanks!!

jolyne
    nobody has replied yet (other than you). I think when it started was after a ice/snow storm, and the wipers had to strain to get out. I do hate where they have set the wipers. :mad:
    Haven't had any problem with the gas gauge. Sounds like a screwy float, Does it go to the extreme during acceleration or braking? :confuse:
    we are purchasing a 02 chevy venture van, and the wipers need some work, as i've already said. and yeah, i think its the float or something, i just wonder how much that is to fix. we got them to lower the price a little by fixing that stuff ourselves. do you know how much that is roughly? and did you find anything out about the wipers? do yours hesitate? or does the drivers side just not tuck down? yeah, i dont like the way theyve done the wipers either, but hey, as long as it fits our kids in there, and it works, we're good. ;-)

i'll check back to see if you found out anything, and ill try to call my mechanic and see what he says.

see ya!
    jolyne
    I haven't found anything about the wipers. It doesn't delay. It actually can go all the way to the seating, but there is play.
    As for the gas gauge, don't have a clue how much to fix, but I would think they have to lower the tank, (roughly 1.5 hr labour?). Don't know how much the float would cost. Replace the fuel filter while your under the car as well. A good $20 investment. :)
    Make sure while the mechanic is looking at the van good, get him to check the head gasket for any leaks. It looks like it leaking on the outside, but have to check while on the hoist. Notorious on this van/motor. Just replaced mine. Cracked head as well - over $3000 to repair. :lemon:
    Good luck, let me know what you found out about your wipers
    so, i talked with my mechanic. mind you, we haven't even purchased this van yet. he said the float, is an all in one assembly, so its going to be 400 for the part, and 80-90 bucks labor. OUCH. I think for awhile, we'll just fill it up often, ya know? He said there was no harm in that.

i also asked him about the wipers, he said it can be one of two things. 1...a bolt came loose or came off and thats why it isn't sitting correctly. 2...the motor, which is seated under the hood (would be WAY more if under the dash...we are crossing our fingers). So, thats the deal. he said he wouldn't know until he looked at it...obviously.

Thats what i have. I'm starting to wonder if this is a good purchase? You like yours, right??????? Pull me back from buyers remorse?

I'll be checkin' for ya...

Jolyne
    sounds expensive for the part! I'd check and see if you can find a better price (unless you trust the mechanic?).

For your wipers, it is easy to check and see if the bolt is missing, it is easy to see. There is a plastic cap on the bolt, take it off and see if the bolt is there and tight. You can take the bolt off and re-seat the wiper blade. But if there is play, it sounds like it is deeper than the bolt.

If I was to do it again, I would NOT buy this van. With the head gasket going (notorious), and it cracked the head as well, a $3000 bill. Also check for front wheel bearings, the van will wonder on you (bearings went on mine). I've spent $4400 in the past 3 months on it.

It is running ok now, but this is too much to ask out of a car that is 4 years old!

Now with this being said, if you get the van for a great price - then the repairs may be worth it (if it goes). It is a comfortable van, and I like the space and economy of it, and no rust. I just wished it wasn't a lemon.