Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• jolyne77jolyne77 Member Posts: 5
    yeah, i checked another mechanic.....i can get the float thing fixed..some kind of "unit" for a little over 200. much better, eh? i also talked to him about the windshield wipers....and honey, i don't know what he said, but he sounded smart doing it. i fix people, not cars. anyway, i told the hubby to take it in this week while i'm gone....so i won't be back home for a couple weeks. if i get a chance i might be able to update from elsewhere as to what gets done.

you're making me a little nervous about my purchase. it has a lot of miles on it, but a 6 cylinder will go 150-250 thou. miles. and we are getting it for a crazy good price. nothing shady about it...the company just gave them another one....so, they are selling it.

you don't like yours though, eh? tell me more, so i can keep a watchful eye on things... 4400 sounds like alot for 3 months worth of car. we aren't even paying that much for the vehicle. it was worth it, right?!?!??!?!

i'll be checkin' on if i can.

see ya
    jolyne
  • homermedichomermedic Member Posts: 10
    Hey, if you are getting the vehicle for a great price then you will be ok. I paid market value for mine, then the repair made it too expensive. My problem was that GM knew it was a problem and never did anything about it.
    If you take the Head Gasket problem out of the equation, the van is great. I can even handle the windshield wiper problem (things are suppose to break down, correct?). I just drove 1400 km this weekend with it, ran great. 800 km on a tank of gas.
    The things that have gone wrong with it are:
    - Head gasket (with a cracked head)
    - front wheel bearings
    - driver's windshield wiper over extending
    - air bag light always on
    - blower fan resistor
    - plus routine maintenance stuff

Good stuff with it:
    - large & comfortable
    - good body
    - reasonable economy
    - good handling
    - so far good in the other major issues.

Let me know what you have found out about the wiper if you can. Right now I am using "Rain Dance" on the windshield to limit the wiper use (works great)

Thanks,
    Lorne
  • docojcdocojc Member Posts: 1
    hi my name oj and i am having the same problem hesitating and cutting out on hard acceleration replace fuel filter, fuel pump, plugs and wires. need help
  • acgriffacgriff Member Posts: 4
    i found that the plug that plugs into the fuel pump on top the tank has a problem keeping water out and the pin connectors go bad........i had to replace the harness from the tank to where it plugs into another plug just behind the drivers seat under the floor ....and also rplaced the relay in the fuse box under the hood...all this because the wire harness did not keep water out....so when you do replace it seal it with a good sealer
  • rydelrydel Member Posts: 2
    I've got a '99 Venture and am having the exact same problem! Did you get it fixed? What did you have to do?
    Thanks for any info! Rydel
  • acgriffacgriff Member Posts: 4
    well i didnt have time to wait for a new harness from the dealer....so i replaced just the metal pins inside the plug...kinda tuff to get them in and out but it can be done and you can find the replacement pins at most auto stores. the pins that im talking about are the male-female metal pins inside the plug ends
  • jolyne77jolyne77 Member Posts: 5
    okay, im home now. I'm so glad you wrote. Okay, i checked with another mechanic. The fuel gage/float is about 100, and about another 100 to install....a crapload better than the other mechanic who appraised the fix at over 500. We are awaiting the next pay check so we can get it fixed. By the way, we did purchase the van. Works great...and gas mileage is incredible! 30mpg. My SUV gets 15-18mpg. So, be sure to shop around for stuff...it will sure save us a bundle.

As for the windshield wipers, I will have them checked out when we take it in for the float/fuel gage. I'll let you know. As for now, we have 3 cars, so no pressure getting things done. Anyone want an old buick? it works fine. ;-)

so, keep checking, and so will I.

seeeeee ya

jolyne
  • cjlancercjlancer Member Posts: 1
    my sister has a 2000 chevrolet venture when its cold it starts and it runs nice after driving it for a while it just dies. but before it dies the lights in the van they start flicking right when it dies it brings out a code. P1352b Ignition Bypass Circuit High Voltage. you try to start it again. it it does but you have to gas it a little to keep it running. and sometimes it takes a while. to start. could it be the samething like some of you guys having the problem with the fuel filter being clogged.
    the other thing that it gots on that venture is the fuel gauge it goes crazy. and the ligths at the back they all turn on when you hit the brakes.. what could it be done to fix that. thanks for your help.
  • boga228boga228 Member Posts: 50
    Your back lights sounds light that that water shorted out the plug. try unplugging one at a time of the back tail lights to find out which one has the bad light. I checked the service manual and it said to check terminal connection at the PCM and grounds are cleaned and secure, also check harness leaving the pcm module.
  • larson5larson5 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get a solution to this? I am going through this right now with my 2001 Venture with 85K. I have replaced the plugs, wires coil, fuel filter and EGR valve. One mechanic things it may be an injector, but why would that affect the entire engine. Otherwise it runs great.

Thanks.
  • x4madnessx4madness Member Posts: 7
    Must be one of those years! I own a 2003 venture, that wont start after it is parked for more then 5 hours. I have changed the battery and checked the alternator, all is fine! I have pulled different fuses at night for options, and checked in the morning, but battery still no start. Run out of things (options) it could be! I jump it with my car and it starts right away! However my car has to be running, If I jump it without my car running it will not start it, almost like it needs more then 12 volts to start! Has anyone else had this problem?
  • hhua1hhua1 Member Posts: 41
    Make sure your battery connections have good contact especially at the battery positive terminal (especially the little wire from engine fuse box to the battery positive terminal).
    done did it awhile ago!
  • bt1221bt1221 Member Posts: 3
    I have recently purchased a 2000 Venture WB edition. And I was wondering if anyone out there has attempted to replace the VCP for a DVD player. Didn't know if the wiring was too difficult for DIY or if the monitor would not accept the video from the DVD. Or if you could plug into the VCP on an Input or something that way?
  • hhua1hhua1 Member Posts: 41
    I know you said the connections are checked. Just to be 100% sure of that because in my case, the positive terminal looks perfect until I really bent the little wire to findout there was a litle corrosion, it didn't take much. After a good cleaning everything good again. Let us know if that helps or not.
  • boysmom3boysmom3 Member Posts: 1
    We have started having numerous electrical issues - first it started with headlights and dashlights fading (never really going out - just sort of flickering). Then the van just wouldn't start. Drove it for a while, stopped at the store and came out - and it was completely dead. Now, the fan for the air conditioner has a mind of it's own. Driving down the road it just came on full blast and we couldn't turn it off. When we stopped and turned the vehicle off - the fan continued to run, until my husband pulled the fuse. Hubby is very handy repair, but at a loss with these issues now as he is unable to locate a specific cause. Any help or insight is GREATLY needed.
    I had the same problem with the flickering, it was the alternator gone bad. They said it was a bad ground in the alternator.
  • 33chevy33chevy Member Posts: 28
    2000 Venture WB A section of LED lamps in the third stop light assembly at the top of the tailgate are not working...4 or 5 lamps not working the rest of them do. Wondering if anybody else has ever had this problem. I haven't dug into it yet...when I do will pass on what I find out.
  • orv1orv1 Member Posts: 1
    How in the world do you replace a headlight or running light in a Chevy 2000 Venture? I just can't see how to get into where the bulb/s are! I know I'm overlooking something, but I've studied and studied and still cannot come up with how to replace a burnt out bulb. Can someone help me?
    Thanx,
    "Orv"
  • escambiaguyescambiaguy Member Posts: 35
    Can any of you hear the DVD player running when there is no disc in it? It's not loud but I would like to know if its normal. I can hear it after I turn off the engine and as soon as I open the door it stops. I don't have kids so my DVD player never gets used.
  • yankel94yankel94 Member Posts: 1
    I parked my van in the garage and about 30 minutes later I went to start it and got nothing no clicking or noises. I tried the other key and still nothing. I took my other car and about 2 hours later I tried the van again and it fired right up. The radio however reads "locked" and a solid red light is on. The DRLs and instrument lights do not come on and when putting the car in gear I get no light to tell me what gear I am in. I believe it is in the anti-theft radio but I am no sure. Does anybody have any clues on what I should try??
  • badventure1badventure1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Venture, the backup lights do not come on and the gear indicator in the instrument cluster is also not working. I just replaced the switch on top of the trans under the shifter arm with no luck. Anybody have any ideas?? :mad:
  • indrgbindrgb Member Posts: 115
    bt1221: I have experience doing this. Let me know if you want the details.
  • bt1221bt1221 Member Posts: 3
    indrgb: If you could give me any information that would be a great help. Thank you.
  • indrgbindrgb Member Posts: 115
    I have a 2000 Silouette. The VCP broke and I tried to replace it with a DVD player. I bought a DVD player from Crutchfield and installed it myself. There was a problem with the video signal to the monitor. Every so often the picture on the monitor would scramble. Sometimes it would play okay for a few minutes, then it would scramble for a few seconds. I ruled out a problem with the DVD player and monitor by trying multiple DVD and VCRs. Any VCR worked fine, but no DVD player would work in the front. However, if you plug the DVD player into the AUX. jacks (next to rear HVAC controls), it worked fine. There is something different about the video wiring from the front to the monitor. I called 2 dealers, an automotive custom video shop, and the manufacturer of the origianl VCP to see if anyone could explain the problem. They were all completely clueless. If I remember correctly, the dealer wanted some ridiculous amount of money to exchange the VCP with a refurbished one.

To make an already long story shorter, I bought a new automotive VCR from Crutchfield, Clarion model VDH910. It works fine. I doubt Crutchfield still carries it.

If I were to replace it today, I would probably install a DVD player and then snake and hide new wiring to the AUX jacks by the monitor.

I'm not an expert on this subject, but let me know if you need any more info.
  • pattipaigepattipaige Member Posts: 2
    My husband was out of town, my outside air temp sensor wasn't working. I found your website, someone posted not only HOW to fix it but pictures to boot! I was able to order a part and fix it myself, I was thrilled. Love my Venture, still looks new and is reliable. Hate having to move the engine to do a tune up however. Nothing much is easy to repair except the temp sensor. I couldn't even find what it's really called in the repair manual but your site gave me all I needed. Thanks! :)
  • cbarrascbarras Member Posts: 1
    could someone repost the fix that she is speaking of. My outside temp sensor reads "oc" and I'd sure like to get it working.
  • dennzorrodennzorro Member Posts: 1
    Have you had any luck with correcting your PO449 check engine light yet? I have the same issue.
  • jrjtljrjtl Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Chevy Venture WB Edition. We had to replace the AC in March, but that has worked fine this year. Suddenly today, 21 October 2006, while sitting in a parking lot, the vehicle overheated. I had no previous problems, we had only been on the road about 10 minutes when this happened and the AC had been on for less than 5 minutes. The coolant reservoir was empty, so I added a pre-mixed solution to the reservoir. It seemed to help some, but the temp would still increase fairly rapidly if I were in slow traffic or stopped at a stop light. I am looking for some suggestions as to what the problem could be. I intend to check the coolant level in the radiator tomorrow morning while the engine is cool to see if there could be leak. Please let me know of anything else to look for.
  • snowman89snowman89 Member Posts: 36
    Has anyone ever installed fog or driving lights on a Venture? I have an '01, bought in '02. I like it and it's been good to me, but I DESPISE the headlights...they stink, and the awful white dash lights are the worst. I want to install, or have installed, a nice set of fog or driving lights, but I'm not sure where to mount them due to the front grill/air dam is not very cooperative. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would love to hear them.
  • greg43greg43 Member Posts: 11
    this is a pretty simple fix, open up your hood and on the side that needs the bulb replaced, you will see two black plastic wing nuts. you have to take those off. then remove the main head light and twist counter clockwise approx. 1/4 to 1/2 turn and the bulb socket should come out. now to replace the parking or running light, after removing the main head light unit, pull the parking light unit out, there are a couple of clips that secures it so you might have to wiggle it out a little. replace the bulb the same way you would replaced the main lights. now to replace the lights 1st slide the running light unit back into place, just look where the clips attach on the fender. next replace the main head light unit, this is just a little tricky, there are 2 plastic pins that will help you place in the right spot. make sure everything lines up right and screw your plastic wing nuts back on. good luck
    those filters are what they call your cabin filters, they filter your air as it comes into the van. they are a carbon type filter. to replace them you can go to any auto parts store and if i remember right they cost around 20-25 dollars to replace. some times if the filter get too dirty it can cause a musty or mildew type smell inside your van. for a quick temporary fix, you can take your old filters out and wash them out and let them dry. good luck
    i have a problem with my battery going dead if i do not drive it everyday. if it sits for more than 1 or 2 days the battery goes dead. i have replaced to battery several times thinking that was the problems, but it wasn't. alternator is fine also. i check drainage on the fuse box and the drain seems to be coming from the radio fuse, but when i bypass the fuse to the radio, it did not seem to help. please help!!!
  • carissa14carissa14 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an 04 Venture. I have had it for a little over a month. I have not yet noticed the wind noise problem but wiht in a week of buying the van, it stalled out a stop sign. When I called the dealer about it they said if it had only happened once then there was no way that they could diagnos the problem. Does anyone have any ideas about why this would happen? And is there any thing that I should watch out for? There is only 20000 miles on it.
  • tazmonstertazmonster Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem but I just replaced the battery If you find out let me know
    greg did you every find out what the problem was. same thing with mine!
    No I have never found out what the problem is. And it still is occuring. If I do not drive it everyday the battery goes dead. In the beginning I purchased at least 4 or 5 batteries, and they where not the problem. Sorry I could not give you any good info. Please let me know if you find out what our problem is.

Greg
    :mad: Greg last winter and spring the same thing was happening to me, 2002 venture. I put a new bty and then 3 weeks later it did it again. Thought maybe i got a faulty bty so I went and bought the biggest bty you are allowed to put in it, cost me 150 more then the normal one. Today is 6 months after and it was dead, I assumed it was the same problem, but I think I assumed wrong. I picked up a new neg bty cable and replaced the one that was on it. the old one had tiny heads on the bolt - was never really sure if i got it tight enough. the new one (cdn tire) takes a half inch wrench to tighten it, damn thing is tight now lol. My electrics before were not acting right (fans in front for rad, coming on too late) now with the new ground they are coming on alot sooner. never seen a van so sensitive to electric current. Note: I did not attach the neg cable to the same place as before, I used the top motor mount in front, as it is attached to block also!

With my van if the voltage is below 12.5v she will not start. seems the starter is drawing alot of juice - time to replace it lol. hopes this helps! :mad:
  • joe333joe333 Member Posts: 1
    Anybody know how many gallons the gas tank on a 2000 venture holds? My fuel indicator is out and can't tell how much in the tank.
    25 gal
  • familyof5familyof5 Member Posts: 7
    Screws are on the front around the headlight. You then remove the plastic covering around the front part of the headlight, then the head light can be pulled out. Then you can easily remove the bulb from the rear of the Headlight. It is kinda a pain, but not too difficult. It has to connect just right when you re-assemble. One day, both headlights on my 2000 Venture went out at the same time. I thought it had to be a fuse, but both my high beams still worked, so I knew it was the headlights. Good Luck. Took me about 15 minutes for each headlight to replace the bulb.
    x4madness,
    when I checked the drain from my fuse box it seemed to be coming from the radio fuse. My radio works just fine, but I understand there is the security system that runs through the radio, I do not know if the is the problem or what!. The security system seems to be working fine also. someone told me onetime that it could be the computer board in the van, and that would be very expensive to replace. He said that sometimes the computer system will short out and that could be my problem. Well thanks for the info. on the neg. battery cable. I will try and give that a try.
  • ddecker5ddecker5 Member Posts: 20
    On our way home last night, the light came on for low brake fluid. I stopped and checked, and the level looked ok. Does anyone know at what point the light comes on? Do I need to add fluid asap? And how in the world do you add brake fluid?
    The reservoir is located in a very awkward place.

Thanks
    no problem. If your van is also running a little bit warm, you might have a bad relay in the fuse box - this would also cause a drain as the fans are live, so the sensor will continue to try and put them on until the engine cools down.. let me know if you find it.. :D
  • jrdwyerjrdwyer Member Posts: 168
    The brake fluid will only be low for two reasons. One is that the pads/shoes are very worn and need to be replaced. Two is that there is a leak somewhere in the brake system. Topping off brake fluid is generally not necessary except for situations where you can't get it fixed right away. Get the brake system looked at.

The brake fluid dropped in our 2001 Olds Silo because of leaking rear brake cylinders. This also caused a groaning type of sound when braking due to fluid on the rear drums. The cylinders were replaced under warranty.
  • doxbossdoxboss Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2001 with the same issue. Does anyone know if this could be a thermostat or sensor issue?
  • amytamyt Member Posts: 1
    I hope someone can help me. Our DVD system has really been acting up lately. Brand new it played every DVD I put in it. Now, it only plays certain ones (the old ones.) I have tried cleaning it etc.. nothing is helping. Can anyone help me?????
  • ddecker5ddecker5 Member Posts: 20
    How in the world do you add brake fluid to a 2002 Venture? I can't get to it. I got a long funnel, but it is almost horizontal when I set it on top of the brake fluid reservoir.

Thanks
  • sheboutshebout Member Posts: 3
    I have been having the same problem with my DVD player for quite some time. I went to the dealership and they said that they would have to pull the unit out and send it off to be repaired. They said this would cost about $400 - $500 dollars. I ended up solving the problem by buying a portable DVD player for just over $100. I patch it right into the built in DVD so that the movies play through the van's video screen and audio speakers. It will play all of our movies, but it is a bit more cumbersome, since the kids can't really use the remote on it. Anyhow, if anyone knows of a solution to get the van's system to play all movies - I'd love to know about it!
    Have you check the alternator? Are your interior lights flickering? if so replace alternator.