Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    Re #427, Venture 2000 Have not found any problem with leaks around driver side sliding door. No problems with closing door, so yours may need alignement or some silicone spray. Ironically we found a work sheet in that door from the factory for door correction at the time of manufacture.

Others have had leaks in back door, and did find that once both sides, but suspect it was my fault when washing with a hose.During a very heavy rainstorm nothing got in.

Most irritant is a small piece of trim by the passenger side sliding door. It slips under the weather seal,with out any clips etc but just started to drop down. Have held it up with two side tape. Seen one other posting.
    Refer to my post #428 and resolved last item of the plastic trim over sliding door with Krazy Glue GEL. This $1.99 a tube and does not run and ideal for this repair. I put some on the two supports even on the foam covering. Once placed and stuck I also put some on the door seal which supports this trim.
  • juliez1juliez1 Member Posts: 2
    I had a leak in my Venture, which I posted about earlier. The leak was indeed in the jack compartment - it was a faulty body seam. It was sealed and has not leaked again. GM also reimbursed me for the library books that were ruined by the leak. We haven't had the problems with leaks in the rear hatch as mentioned recently.

We haven't had any other problems and are getting about 20 mpg, mostly driving around town. We are gearing up for a month-long vacation in July, so we'll see how it does then.
  • doh1doh1 Member Posts: 1
    we are just starting our search and could use a little advice. at this time we have 1 child, will be a year in 2 weeks and are planning on 1 or 2 more. we looked at a '98 venture tonight but don't really know much about the venture. my wife and i both like the appearance and i have read the comments from above. there seems to be some mixed feelings. would you recommend a first time van buyer (still coming to terms with buying a minivan)to purchase a venture and why or why not?
  • mducharmemducharme Member Posts: 1
    Just a few lines for any of you out there considering Chevy Venture. The Oldsmobile Silhouette is the only way to go, have not heard any bad news on the Oldsmobile. And in my opinon is the better of the 2 other GM lines (Chevy or Pontiac). If you are considering options, the Olds Silhouette Premiere only has a very few options, tow package, gold package. everything else is included. If money is of some concern looked for used, the new ones can be spendy, but then again aren't all vehicles!!!!
    Before you consider any vehicle go to www.alldata.com where you can see all manufacturer recalls and service bulletins that have been issued. This will give you a good idea on how that model year performed.

We have a Venture LT 2000 which I got in March. Yesterday we drove back from Toronto to NJ 534 miles and averaged 29.5 mpg ave speed of 60 mph.

We are out of the small child stage, but the rear space in the back can hold a lot of stuff such as strollers etc. I put in mats and rear liner.

Noticed in Canada that the GM van outnumbers all the others Chrysler/Ford, but mainly the SWB version.

Whether you go for the Chev/Olds/Pontiac, they are made at the same factory in GA, essentially the same but slight differences in "fixtures and fittings". Whether any one brand is better than the other, depends on personal taste and cost.

The 2001 versions have changed front grilles and more sophisticated entertainment facilities.

This van is the unsung hero of GM.
    When looking at www.alldata.com select Chevrolet Truck to get to the Venture.
  • minnbillminnbill Member Posts: 28
    We also have one child (4 yrs old) and one on the way, and a month ago we took the plunge and bought a 2000 Venture. Other models we looked at were Caravan and Windstar. Would've liked to look at Honda Odyssey, but of course, the only way you can see one of those is if you see one in a parking lot or while driving on the highway. We chose the Venture because my wife works for a GM supplier, so we got a great deal on the price. Put 1200 miles on it so far, with many more to come this holiday weekend. Also heard many bad things about Caravans/Voyagers. The Windstar was OK, but the Venture fit our budget better.
    The Venture is probably the cheapest-looking (better to say least plush) of the Venture/Montana/Silohuette vans. Our interior is grey-colored and plastic all around, but that works well when you have little ones that are prone to making a mess with food or drink, or crayons or their muddy shoes, etc. The engine/tranny combo is terrific, great acceleration, and a quiet ride. The gas mileage is 22 mpg in city, 26 on the highway. The drivers seat can be raised up and down as well as front-to-back, so you can sit as high as you want. Visibility is terrific out the front and the outside mirrors are huge. Side and rear windows are tinted, so can be hard to see out the rear at night, but tint keeps the inside cooler on hot days. No need to get power sliding doors, unless you like that sort of gadgetry; the doors slide open and shut real easily. We've only had our Venture a month, but we absolutely love it, a great value for the price (low finance rates now too). Check it out, and let us know what you end up buying.
  • aquakidsaquakids Member Posts: 7
    After putting all the options we wanted on the LS package, we didn't realize we exceeded the cost of the base price for the LT package. Of course the dealers wouldn't tell us that.
    We found a basic LT and paid strait-up invoice. We couldn't have been any happier. Just got back from a 2,000 mile trip. The van drives it's self.
    No problems . . . . Love the van.
    I think we're gonna' get another one.
  • kinjalkinjal Member Posts: 7
    Due to similar situation as #435 (wife is a GM supplier as well as second child is due anytime after a 4 year old), finally bought the Venture.

Paid $550 below (invoice+destination+advrt).
    Chose $1500 rebate on basis of tax-adjusted present value calculations.

Venture LT is more cost effective if you want most of the options.

Wanted to buy Honda or Toyota but Toyota was too small and Honda required 5 months wait (They are good buy even at MSRP)
    The only reasons we bought Chevy were:
    a) Was getting No haggle below invoice pricing
    b) Had $4660 on GM Card points and they were expiring every month
    c) Chevy has 8 pass seating AND integrated child seat

At 120 miles, Service Engine Light came up, had to take it to the dealer who would give me appointment only after 9 days!! Anyway they looked at it and notice that certain hoses were not connected at all!!

Lost 3 hours (pretty expensive for hourly paid)

I guess deserved it for buying an American car.
    (In last 20 years of owning 9 cars, anything but Honda and Toyota have given problems)

Bracing for more problems.

For others looking for Van or any other car, BUY HONDA OR TOYOTA unless you have $5210 worth of external incentive such as one we had.

By the way, car buying experience was better this time around as some dealers have learned few things however most are still the same.

Again, buy honda/toyota and be happy.
  • melismelis Member Posts: 7
    I own a 1999 Venture LT w/33,000 miles on it. I have taken it into the shop twice to have the airbag light fixed, well it's come back on & stayed on yesterday so this will be the 3rd time that I've had to take it back into the shop. The 2nd time I took it in to be fixed, they said that they had replaced the sensor. My question is, has anyone else had this problem & if so, did you look into the Lemon Law? I've also had to have the #4 injector replaced. I'm starting to get really frustrated with my van at this point. We leave for vacation in 2 weeks & we were planning on driving my van to Texas but now I'm not to sure if I want to take it.

Thanks
    Melissa
  • handy9handy9 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a Venture 2000 last month. Liked the styling a little better on the Montana, but couldn't find a local Pontiac dealer who didn't want to skin us alive! Found this Venture late at closing time, gave us great $ for our trade and were super to deal with. We agreed on numbers in about 15 minutes. They gave us the keys to Van and told us to come back the next day to sign papers. We got the .09% finanacing which kept us from having to lease, then buy. We love this Van! We came out of a 1996 Mercury Sable that I hated and would only wish on an enemy!
    I had a small problem last week. It rained the other day and after I drove up an incline about a 1/2 cup of water trickled around where the driver door and dash meet. Has anyone else had a leak in that area?
  • usseldridgeusseldridge Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone explain the seat configuration/layout of the 8 passenger Ventures? Do they just have 2 large(same length?) benches in the back,which are supposed to hold 3 persons each? Between the 7 and 8 passenger Ventures - where does the 8 passenger Venture put the room for the extra seat? Thanks.
  • daverosedaverose Member Posts: 233
    Yes, someone can, but it won't be me now because I just spent about half an hour writing it up in detail with stick figures and everything and then "lost" it through some random keystrokes as the keyboard was sliding off my lap.

No, it is not achieved with two three-person benches. GM uses a multi-anchor system in the floor which allows many differently-built seats to use various combinations of those anchors to achieve a wide range of configurations. Even the benches in the least expensive models are not the one-piece seats their name seems to convey; they are two individually adjustable sections that can be aligned to serve as the "traditional" bench seat, if necessary.

The eight passenger configuration is achieved by placing three individual seats in the middle row.

So, instead of 2-2-3: 2 front-row buckets, 2 smallish benchlike sections that does not go all the way across the vehicle, 3 smallish people sharing two smallish, benchlike sections that go all the way across the vehicle, but in the narrower rear wheel area of the passenger cabin in the back row),

it is 2-3-3: 2 front-row buckets, 3 medium-sized individual "modular" seats that cover the entire mid-vehicle width, and 3, as above.

Very imaginative and clever engineering in my mind. The only thing that spoils it for me is that apparently GM does not allow the purchase of additional seats if one wanted to be able to configure their one vehicle with all the possibilities the platform supports. The desire to do that would seem rare, but to not be "permitted" to do this in the "land of the free" no matter how foolish most might feel that it is, is corporate arrogance to me.
    Anyone notice the over-head info. center flash bright every once in a while? That's the only funny thing I've noticed about our 2000 LT.
    Drives solid as a rock . . . . kinda' wish I'd have leased it though.
  • greg32greg32 Member Posts: 48
    You can have multiple seating configurations!!!

We purchased from a junk yard 2 modular seats to replace the 1/2 bench seat. The floor mountings are there all you have to do is put them in. Now we can mix and match seating configurations to have either 7 or 8 passenger seating. The only problem now is to get the out board seat belt reconfigured. Again the mountings for the seat belt are there its just a matter of remounting it. We're having a specialty shop in the area that is licensed to make seat belt modifications do the work. Happy configuring!
    Venture LT 8 passenger since March. We had the old Lumina APV with three seats in second row and two at rear which is 7. We did not like the two captains chairs in row two as we found the flexibilty of the three seat arrangement far superior at no extra cost.

You can fold back down of center seat to use as table for two outboard seats. This is ideal for card games. In picking my daughter up from college with all her gear we could remove the seats individually.

The rear split bench would be tight for three adults but again we like the fact it can flip and fold by section, but they are heavy to remove.

All these seats do recline and can slide back and forwards.

This choice has to be made at time of ordering!
    -----------------------------------------------
    No leaks around front end. Number of reports of rear leaking, which seems to be the rubber grommets under the rear door carrying the electrical wiring need to have some sealant.

Not seen any change in overhead info center light intensity. Could be a faulty unit.

Will have van into dealer this week over rear stitching on drivers seat coming undone. Said they would get it fixed at upholstery service, but looks difficult as plastic strip needs to be re inserted. Also having front alignment checked as steers straight with wheel slightly off to left. 7400 miles and we love it.
    daverose - thanks so much for the detailed explanation of the 8 seat arrangement. I appreciate it.
    The brilliance of the display changes depending on whether the headlights are on. Perhaps the "flash" occurred while you were proceeding through a relatively short tunnel or shady area and the automatic headlights came on, dimming the display, but not in so dark an area that you noticed the headlights or dash lights come on.
  • jelsingajelsinga Member Posts: 2
    Hi:

I just bought out the lease on my '97 Venture Van. I have never had a bit of trouble with it and felt it was a good decision as I am in need of a van for a number of years yet. The week after I bought out the lease, my transmission crashed! This happened without any warning and the dealership is presently fully diagnosing the problem(s). I have 91,000 kms on the van and no extended warranty. I decided not to buy the extended warranty as I was informed that the new Chev motors did not even need a tune-up until 160,000 kms. I am wondering if there is anyone out there who has had problems with the Venture transmissions and if so, what was done about it? Thanks in advance for any help with this.
  • fsimpsonfsimpson Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the 97 venture has a power window lock. The drivers side window goes down sometimes but rarely goes up by the passenger controls. No problems with drivers side controls. Also not all doors lock when using the power door lock - especially the drivers side slider. Also have a slight engine knock when 1st started which goes away after a minute or so.
    I've noticed it most at night. Dash lights are already on. Normally happens just once . . . usually about ten minutes of driving. No problems . . . just catches my attention.
    Sorry. It was a thought.
  • nksunsetnksunset Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Venture LS extended van and its transmission died at 17000 miles. It occurred suddenly (as I was driving to work one morning) without warning. All of a sudden the van began to shudder when it shifted and luckily I was a mile from the dealer. They completely replaced the transmission but now it shifts hard and I don't trust it. I have not been very happy with our van - mouldings fall off on the inside, knobs broke off. Tires that will not align, and gas mileage averaging 19 mpg. I have always loved Chevys and this is the first bad experience I've had. Maybe I have a lemon. Anyway - I'm trading it in on a Malibu. Now maybe I can park in a normal space!
    Thanks anyway.
    If that's all I have to worry about, sounds like I'll be pretty lucky.
  • jeffc83jeffc83 Member Posts: 1
    We have had the Venture Since Jan 99. It rolled off the lot and had transmission prob within two weeks. We have had intermittent and dangerous electrical problems which can't be reproduced. Car just shuts off while driving. Individual electrical systems will fail and comeback on.

The power door rattles and we have relaced the track once. Low quality plastic parts in the interior. The real problem is I had to convince my wife to buy a made in USA car. I'll never live it down. Please give feed back on any success in making GM step up and take responsibility for for there garbage vehicles. We are taking the car in for every problem large or small and documenting. Dealer is trying but they did not design or buidl this piece of junk.

Toyota here I come!!
    We looked at a 1999 Chevy Venture Ext 8 passenger seating model today with about 25000 miles. Although I didn't dwell on it at the time - it did not seem to have a separate rear airconditioning. Does anyone, who has an extended version Venture without separate rear ac/hear,have any comments re the temperature comfort when riding in the back? Also - any thoughts re $19,900 for a 1999 LS extended model with 25,000 miles? I like the 8 passenger seating but I am having difficulty, in the Cleveland, Ohio area in finding 1999 models(the 2000's are probably out of my price range)with the 8 passenger seating. Thanks.
  • jelsingajelsinga Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I wrote in before (see #447) regarding the transmission going at 90,000kms....and I had just bought out the lease! Well, after much phone calling back and forth and demanding that GM stand up and take some responsibility, they have decided to "participate" in fixing the van. This means that GM pays 1/3, my dealer pays 1/3 and I pay 1/3. Just for the record, I do not agree with this, but need the van fixed. I plan on paying my 1/3 (about $1,000 CAD) and then making a claim in small claims court to try and recover the costs. I got some very good advice on this, so I will try it and see how it goes. I told GM that they need to stand by their product, they won't sell many $35,000 vans if they can't promise a transmission beyond the last lease payment! FIGHT for what you believe when it comes to dealing with the big car companies, it is by nature, an adversarial system and we need to understand this.
  • SAhladasSAhladas Member Posts: 35
    Sounds to me like GM is being more then fair with you. In the states, the warrentee is 36K miles, so you would have been 14K miles out. Nobody would argue that a transmission should not need replacing at that mileage but how do you figure you should get full coverage for a replacement? At what mileage do you think repairs should become your responsibility?
  • rk18rk18 Member Posts: 1
    Hi - New at this computer stuff!
    Read your comments on trans prob.
    Our van started shifting very rough at 16K
    with a high pitch whine. Took it to the
    dealer and it took a full day for them to
    fix it. Solution - they did a field change
    i.e. new shifting valve and solinoid. It's
    been fine ever since.
  • fsimpsonfsimpson Member Posts: 2
    Bought a used 97 chevy LS extended van and have a few quirks with door locks and power windows. The passenger door does not lock when using the drivers door power door lock switch when exiting the parked vehicle. When we 1st purchased the vehicle it was the drivers side sliding door that would not lock. My wife has also noticed that on occasion when the van is sitting the interior lights go on and she hears the clicking noise as if the unlock function was pressed on the clicker that accompanies the ignition keys. Also the passenger window will go down via the switch on the door but rarely will go up. If you use the drivers door switch and get it started then the passenger door switch will raise the window. Has anyone had any similar quirks with their van.
  • lorelei1lorelei1 Member Posts: 1
    I was glad to hear that so many others had problems with their Ventures. (Not glad that you had problems, but glad we're not alone!) Ours is a company vehicle. Over the years we've had Caravans, Luminas, and now the Venture. It's a '99, with 65,000 miles. We had the same problem with the stiching on the back of the driver's seat coming apart. Plastic molding coming out of the seat and everything! The driver's side electric window won't go all the way down - makes it very tricky to get your turnpike ticket! A piece of plastic molding on the side sliding door has broken and is falling off. It won't come completely off, just kind of hangs there to poke you in the eye should you try to enter the van. That handle on the inside of the rear hatch broke, so now we have to pull down on the outside of the door to close it. All very annoying examples of poor workmanship/design. Just recently the coolant thingy has begun to leak. I have to carry a spare jug of water to put in if I'm going to be on the road for a while. Luckily, we only have to keep it for another month or so, but the problem is that we aren't getting minivans anymore. The fleet company has decided to go with Malibus (What are they thinking? The minivan was barely big enough to handle his job related equipment!) so now I'm in the market for a minivan for me to drive. We know we don't want to buy a Venture, that's for sure! I'm looking at the Villager. Haven't heard too much bad stuff about those!
  • marcbmarcb Member Posts: 152
    if your considering the mercury villager/nissan quest twin, you might also consider the mazda mpv also. they would fall within the same size.
    Not sure why a hidden message, but certainly would advise anybody considering the Mazda MPV to check out the site and look at the problems.
  • conschevy1conschevy1 Member Posts: 1
    As a venture owner for 6mths, I am very dissatisfied. AT 300 miles the transmisson developed a whining noise. Dealer replaced a flaking sprocket? Alignment has not been correct since. Found lift damage behind front wheels at unit boxes. 2 times back to dealer, which has claimed alignment was within limits after last adjustment. Newer dealer found engine cradle not inline, take back to original dealer for fix. Called GM for service mgr input. To date van pulls to right steers to left for straight and rear tires are worn abnornal.7000 miles of lemon juice.
  • cevans4cevans4 Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 97 Chevy Venture brand new, fully loaded. We waited a long time searching for the right van for room and for equipment for the price. We got the options we wanted, but we were not expecting the problems that awaited us in the last 3 years. Our van has been in the shop 5 times for a knocking noise, just to be told it was normal and to find out 2 years later it was the transmission going out and had to be replaced. Since being replaced 2 weeks ago the service engine light keeps coming on for slippage on the new transmission. We had a leak for 1 year or longer that they could not find. They resealed the windshield 5+-times, when finally found. The headliner had to be replaced nothing fits right now, or is tight anymore. We are told this is normal for ventures to have leaks, and we should not expect it to be like new. When the liner was replaced they screwed up the tint or antenna wiring to glass, leaving it to look busted. We were told not to expect it to look new. But by GM's Policy they cannot fix their screw up. Also we had to argue for the headlights to be replaced that were filling up with water in the rain. Luggage rack peeled several times and had to be replaced. Windshield wiper mister will not stay attached, finally gave up and tie wrapped them our selves. We have lost our faith in CHEVROLET PRODUCTS all together, after swearing that Chevrolet was the best-built vehicles on the road, because of 2 years of constant service calls without satisfactory results.

Good Luck on anyone that wants one. Even though we love the room, options, and driving it we cannot go on taking it in every other week.

The Evans
    cevans - sounds like you should seek out a lawyer, in your area, who specializes in "Lemon Law" claims - assuming your state has such a consumer protection law. You might have a viable claim and it should not cost you anything to find out. I used to defend those claims and the company would pay legitimate claims. We've had our 1999 Venture LS Extended, which we bought with 25,000 miles for $18,200 (plus I purchased a 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty just in case) about 3 weeks now - and we love the room; it also drives very well - like a car. Good luck with your Venture - my auto from hell was a French-American joint "venture", in the late 1980's, a Renault LeCar.
  • jotalupajotalupa Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are very interested in the Chevy Venture minivan. It appears to be a good value for the money. However, the IIHSA offset crash tests are disturbing although I have appreciated the running commentary at this site.

Regarding the safety issue: GM's Nov 21 1996 response to the IIHSA offset crash test results seems to be the only GM comment on offset crash testing re their minivans that I could find.

In the response, their spokesman asserts that GM ran 3 offset barrier tests using a "well accepted European test procedure" on the European GM minivan and that the van "performed well"

Anyone who is familiar with the Euro NCAP offset crash testing results(performed after the GM response) knows that the GM minivan (the Opel Sintra) had a very difficult time in the European offset crash test.

GM also indicated that it ran 72 full scale crash tests during the design phase of its vans, is there any way to obtain the testing information referred to by the spokesman in the article, especially the three offset barrier tests?

Can anyone recommend a good book or a paper on interpreting the results of crash tests? Is it fair to extrapolate the results of one crash test and apply it to a wide variety of circumstances? ie real world crash between Venture and smaller vehicle at 30% offset and 120 pound driver(as [opposed to 150 pound dummy) Is the GM safety cage really that much more poorly designed than its counterparts?

Interestingly enough, the GM spokesman also alleged that the one passing minivan in the IIHS crash tests had an intrusion of a tire into the passenger compartment as a result of the crash. Is it possible to get specific information on individual crash tests from IIHS?
  • minivanfoolminivanfool Member Posts: 6
    It has been 1 year since I purchased the Venture LS. NOT 1 PROBLEM!!! I took ownership with a scratch on the passenger mirror, whole thing was replaced. We drove from NY to North Carolina in June and got 27 mpg avg 65 mph.

The power slider is working without a hitch and there are no rattles, clinks or clunks.

I am an extremely happy Venture owner!
  • spirit97spirit97 Member Posts: 2
    We are looking to buy a van and are on the fence betwwen the Venture and the Honda Odyssey. Any input on either vehicle or both would be greatly apreciated. Thanks
    Re your last post. We did contemplate the Honda, but dealers in NJ had huge mark up over MRSP and 3 month delivery. In the end went with 2000 LT 8 seat version in dark sapphireblue and gray interior and took the $2000 rebate, plus through carOrder.com got a significant discount.

The rebate is still at $1500 unless you take financing. CarOrder much downsized and prices gone up.

The new 2000 for 2001 has minor electronic changes wireless headphones etc, and the chrome grille has gone replaced by a single color keyed bar.

We have done just on 9000 miles since March and on long trips gas mileage 30.2mpg (how accurate the computer is I am not sure!)Only minor repair was rear stitching on drivers seat under warranty.

Very quiet ride and excellent on long trips, and ample space for luggage.

Not sure what model you are looking at but worth getting rear A/C. Noticed some dealers are pricing down the van as new models will start appearing.
  • mjensenmjensen Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2000 LT Venture at the end of March. Currently have 5K miles. Have been satisfied with purchase so far. Had it back to the dealer once because the motor of the windshield wipers went out (of course in a heavy down pour). But over all, very happy with it. Very nice ride, and lots of room.
    Friend just purchased the Honda and he is happy with that also. It did take him about 4 months to get the van though.
  • tsarticetsartice Member Posts: 1
    We have a '97 Chev Venture LS Ext. I LOVED it up until about 8 mos ago. The headlights filled up with water. Dealer would only replace one, now the other one is Out Of Warranty. The auto sliding door only works intermittently, dealer advised waiting until "it is really broken" before fixing, now it too is O-O-W. The tranny is shot at 2 1/2 years and only 42,000 miles. The engine reeks of oil at every change no matter who changes it. Many pieces of plastic trim are falling off. Including the CHEVY symbol on the front! Chevy claims everything is O-O-W and refuses to fix.
    TOYOTA here I come! They at least stand behind their $27,000 vehicles!
  • pmarchandpmarchand Member Posts: 7
    I bought a new 1999 Venture a little over a year ago, have had no problems except the airbag warning light is intermmitantly coming on. If it stays on I can usually restart the car and it goes off. I know that this warning light flashes on at start up and does some self diagnostics to see if everything is O.K. So when I recycle power I am sure I am resetting a control chip etc. so my question is, has anybody else had this problem. I know if I take it to the dealer they won't find anything and my car will sit there all day. So I am trying to gather all the information I can before I take it in. I love the van and reading the 1st. couple hundren posts made me feel good about my purchase, but it seems the last hundren or so posts deal with problems folks are having. Scarry, is a trend starting? Thanks.
  • minnbillminnbill Member Posts: 28
    It's my opinion that those who have problems with a vehicle are more likely to publish their comments here or anywhere else, while those who have a trouble-free vehicle are more likely to just browse these posts, or not even be looking at this web site.

I have a '00 Venture, at 3200 miles it runs like new (still have some new-car smell too)! Yes, the interior is cheap plastic, but having young kids, I like the ease with which that cheap plastic cleans up. The side windows on the sliding doors rattle when open, but a cure for that was posted in this forum a few hundred posts back. Mostly we keep those windows closed and the A/C on.

I dare anyone to say that ANY manufacturing process produces 100% defect-free products all the time. If Chevy builds 100,000 Ventures in a year and 99% of them are trouble-free, then 1,000 Venture buyers are gonna buy lemons. S*** happens. Happens with all vehicle mfgrs. too, even the Almighty Honda and Toyota.

I like my Venture, I really like the financing I got on it, and plan on keeping it 5-7 years or more. Of course, if I do run into unexpected problems, will post them here...
  • jakesmomjakesmom Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 1999 Venture program car in January 2000. We found that following a rain there were droplets of water leaking from around the ceiling light fixture. It has been in the shop 4 times without resolution. At first they didn't believe us until another customer had the same problem. Covered by warranty, we have never been charged for the visits. However, after the 4th "fix" which included removing the windshield, the problem is still unresolved. Anyone have any similar experience?
  • dustinnewtondustinnewton Member Posts: 242
    Hello everyone. I have been on the Chrysler 300M forum for a month or so and thought I would jump over to the Venture topic to see if anyone was having an airbag light problem like my wife was having on our 2000 Warner Brothers Venture. I read the post from pmarchand, and it sounded very familiar. We were having an intermittent problem that, of course, never happened at the dealer. One day the light came on and my wife was passing the dealer so she turned around and went to the service dept. They put a code scanner on it and got a strange code which baffled them because it wasn't a trouble code that they had a listing for or had ever seen. They called GM 2 weeks ago to find out what it meant, and we are still waiting to hear back. Meanwhile, the light is on constantly now. We bought the Venture in March and have about 11,000 miles on it. So far, only problems have been slight oil leak around the oil filter, the airbag problem, and a broken latch that holds the video screen locked when not in use. We've been happy so far. Take care all.
    Refer to airbag light, had this on another vehicle and resolved by taking out fuse covering the airbag light and re-inserted back into socket. This cured the problem. Worth a try.

Am interested in the oil leak. Was it that filter not tight enough or some other fault.

Rgds
  • mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    Hi venture owners , would you please rate the power of your 3400 v-6's from 1 to 10,10 being best and 1 being worst. thanks------------mattmcdill
  • beansmombeansmom Member Posts: 2
    I own the mother to the venture, the lumina APV. It appears Chevy ignored all of us Lumina owners and changed the car's name and passed the same problems on to the Venture. I need to mention I own 2 Lumina APVs a "90" and a "94". The "90" being the first model year for that van. It was and still is a great van {240,000 miles},but it appears in "94" the NEW was not better,and it does not look like they change anything or solved any of the OLD PROBLEMS when they changed the name. Good luck to you all in getting your problems taken care of. If you want any so called help from Chevy,your car better still be under warrantee. Of course they will probably tell you what I am sure you have ALL been told before "can't get it to repeat", but trust me once you are out of warrantee suddenly they THINK they know what it could be, of course now it cost us money. My advice forget them! Find yourself a honest hard working mechanic.