Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Has anyone experienced a water leak on either the driver's or passenger front doors? Our company van's passenger side door has a water leak when driven through a automatic car wash, seems fine in the rain and no evidence of wind noise. If so, what was done to cure it? All of the weatherstrip looks in good shape, only 20k on van.
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    The new 2001 Venture has cupholders in place of the ashtray and lighter on earlier models. The cupholders on the side of the passenger seat are not that practical, especially if you have to take your eyes off the road to put a hot drink down.

I have asked Chevrolet whether it can be a retro fit on 2000 and back, by removing the ashtray and lighter and inserting the 2001 cupholder.

Will post comments when rcd.
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    My sister and her husband are thinking about purchasing a new 2000 or 2001 Chevrolet Venture. I am needing for some one to tell me if there are any problems with this type of van. I know very little about mini-vans. Any help would be greatly appreciated:)
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    Send me an email, I'll give you my Venture experience.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Share your experience with all of us.
    Despite the negative comments that are posted on this site from time to time about the Venture, it seems to me that every minivan made has its own set of issues good and bad.

We have had a Venture LT 2000 8 seater in dark sapphire for 11 months with just over 20K miles. We got in through carorder.com at an unbelievable price of $24500 incl taxes.(Carorder packed it in and are now back in CA.)

This van has been absolutley first class with minimal repairs, the major one being an errant low coolant warning light which was fixed by the dealer. A couple of minor issues I fixed myself. I always change the oil/filter myself at 3K and have tires rotated as per schedule.

I took it out in the snow this week and it felt very competent and reassuring with the Traction Control coming on and off as well the anti lock brakes.

For college runs and ice hockey tourneys it is a very comfortable highway cruiser with plenty of pep in the engine and good mpg.

Consumers Reports seem to knock it at every opportunity and appear to be in love with anybody other than GM.
  • agt_cooperagt_cooper Member Posts: 202
    the GM triplets mainly because of their poor offset crash test scores. They have admitted in the past that the vans are well designed and comfortable cruisers, however.

Since I have no immediate plans to run into a fixed barrier, those scores don't worry much!! LOL...

And, since State Farm now gives discounts based on their claims experience with the Pontiac Montana, I guess those tests aren't the best predictors of actual injury/death rates....
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    pretty much says it all about our Venture: it's been a perfect car for my family, and even though my daily driver is a Firebird Formula 5-speed, I still like to drive the Chevy. I would like better brakes, but that's about it for criticisms.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    ...utilises a fixed but deformable barrier that simulates the front end of another vehicle.

"In the Institute's 40 mph offset test, 40 percent of the total width of each vehicle strikes a barrier on the driver side. The barrier's deformable face is made of aluminum honeycomb, which makes the forces in the test similar to those involved in a frontal offset crash between two vehicles..."

More information about safety/crash tests can be found here:
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/offset.htm

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/def.htm

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_passvans.htm

http://www.crashtest.com/explanations/iihs/iihs.htm

http://www.crashtest.com/explanations/nhtsa/usncap.htm

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/96026.htm

Although the Chevy Venture is structurally identical to the Pontiac Montana (and the Olds Silhouette), State Farm doesn't give the same discounts to the Venture or the Silhouette. Hmm....since this is the Venture topic, guess that point is moot.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    Mr. Onetrack mind....

Where's the link to the Highway Loss Data Institute's information about actual loss experiences for these vehicles, including the Chevy Venture?

Conveniently left that one out, eh Drew? Nothing like the supposedly impartial host trying to move the discussion in his/her way....

Well, in the interests of fairness, I'll provide the link. I think you'll find that real-world experience suggests that choosing any of the GM triplets does not put you at a substantial risk for death or injury, in fact, they are all in the "substantially better than average" category....

http://www.carsafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ictl/ictl_wagon.htm

Thank you for the link, "agt_cooper". ;-) The crash test results and the evidence of a weak structure and safety cage still stands though, and it's worrysome for people like myself. I can provide actual crash pictures if you like, and you'll see that in some cases (not all, obviously), the offset crash test pictures are reflected. Obviously, I wouldn't presume that all/any of those real world crashes are identical (hence the reason why crash tests are useful), of course, so they're taken with a pinch of salt.

Honestly, I do wish that they did better since the GM vans do ride and drive quite well (a friend of mine used to own a '98 Transport Montana, until he saw the IIHS crash tests coverage on Dateline NBC; he kept it for another year and then sold it), not to mention being available with the VersaTrak AWD system soon.

Mr impartial host

Drew
    Host
    One would assume that the IIS, NHTSA, etc., perform crash testing in the hopes of predicting real-world performance. However, based on a comparison of test data to real world statistics, there seems to be a significant lack of correlation. So, if the crash test results don't appear to reflect actual results, why should anyone use them to determine which vehicle to buy?
    Why is it I go to the Chrysler van boards and give my opinion and catch hell for it. At least I own a van. Or host is giving his opinions and he don't even own a van. Also tells how great the Montana is and the Venture isn't. To me that is no more then I was doing, and was asked to stop.
    As my Venture is insured through State Farm, I checked with them to determine if there was a better rate for the Montana. They say not, however SF is reviewing all crash tests reports and may offer discounts to vehicles with high ratings. Believe SF web site has some info.
    I thought it was the hosts job to keep the discussion on topic, not on the topic the way he/she likes!!!

Edmunds, are you listening???

offham...

Here is a link to an article about the reduction, including the Pontiac Montana. The reduction is only on the Medical portion of the auto policy, and it was to apply to 44 states....maybe your state is not one of them?

http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/business/DailyNews/statefarm_rates_001128.html
    agt_cooper, any posts with regards to the Venture (including its crash tests results) are perfectly on-topic. You'll find crash test results discussed in just about all vehicle topics in Townhall (ex. Odyssey, Sienna, etc.) My posts were not directed to you specifically, but to the person who requested more info on the Venture. Besides, you were the one who mentioned the offset crash tests, not me. I simply shed more light on it. If a Venture got into a 40% offset front collision with another vehicle (both travelling at about 40mph), you can bet that the real world results would be similar to the crash tests.

dmatthews3, the reasons why your posts were removed were described in Steve's, my co-host, e-mail to you. I never said the Venture was better/worse than the Montana. In fact, I said that they were structurally identical. Lastly, I do frequently drive a minivan. It's running perfectly fine, thanks.

Drew
    Host
  • mj1466mj1466 Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 venture LS had the same problem. After the third try(the lemon law trigger) they found the problem quote"left seat belt pretensioner deployment loop has high resistance trace harness-pinched under seat frame replace belt". The fail code was B1040 Cond Code WK Operation C902. belt kit part# 000 012457480 was replaced. Hope this helps. It did stop the problem. Of course they
    may have just taken out the bulb!
    The offset impact test results are only relevant to collisions with vehicles of exactly the same mass as the test subject....
    agt_cooper, yes, of course! For every action, there is an opposite and equal reaction. I do realise that's why minivans have an advantage in accidents with cars. However, with the proliferation of SUVs, pickup trucks, and minivans on the roads today, there is a fairly high chance (though not as much as with a car; I suppose it depends where you live) of being involved in an accident, god forbid, with one of those aforementioned vehicle classes.

Best of luck...

Drew
    Host
    Of course they may have just taken out the bulb!

I am only guessing but on most vehicles when you first turn on the ignition before cranking the starter most bulbs can be checked. It should light up.
  • chsmith48chsmith48 Member Posts: 1
    I had 2 Ventures (1997 & 1999). Both were good cars in general. The second one I got more bells and whistles on it (automatic rear door and trip computer).

I put a lot of miles on a car - about 1000 a week. I had 95K on the first one when the engine check light came on. I took it to the local dealer and it told them it was a transmission problem. The spent a lot of time on the car and finally said that the closest diagnosis they could come up with was a problem with one of the 5 sensors in the transmission. They said they would suggest replacing all of them as they could not tell which one it was. Estimated bill $1500.

I still felt that it was a good car and traded for another. To make a long story short, the second one got 72K before it also developed transmission problems.

Needless to say, I am done with Chevy vans
    Further my post #653, I was disappointed by Chevrolet who came back and said go to the dealer..Don't they know ?

From the parts screen it would appear that the ash tray and cup holders are part of the frame (200/2001) which goes around the center switches etc. The price for this part is $75.00. We will live with the seat mounted ones !!!
    Re agt cooper post. Took article to SF Agent, who quite interested but believe does not apply in NJ as has the highest of density of vehicles per mile in the US. With the ice/snow, body shops are booming.
  • mckernaniiimckernaniii Member Posts: 12
    Have had several Dodge/Ply and Windstar vans. Will I be happier in a Venture or should I stay with Dodge or Ford?
  • eddiemadeddiemad Member Posts: 5
    Hi.. my wife has a '99 Montana with 42,000 mi on it. The "Check Engine Light" just came on. Was wondering if this light is programmed to come on at this time for periodic maintenance (oxygen sensor, etc) or if there's actually something wrong with the engine. Has anyone else had this light come on and, if so, what was the problem? Thanks.
    Really no point anybody guessing as believe can cover variety of issues including oxygen sensors. looks like a trip to the dealer to check it out on the computer.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I had a 95 Windstar and the transmission and engine problems though it never left us stranded. Got the wife a 2000 Venture but we kept the Windstar as a spare car and soon after that Ford had the incentives for dissatisfied 95 Windstar owners (here's a bribe so you don't join a class action law suit against us for making a piece of junk) so I traded it in for a 2000 Windstar. Only reason I even considered it was the 4 grand Ford were giving out and the 0.9% financing.
    Wife has put 18K on the Venture and the in law has put 6K on the Windstar. We have had to bring the Windstar in for one recall and another is still needing to get fixed, and they have had to replace an accelerator pedal housing (someone left bits of plastic in it) and a gear shift interlock (its sort of neat to drive around and be in a forward gear with the dash saying you are in reverse), plus various trim problems. The Venture has been flawless - unless you consider un kid proof upholstery a design problem.(If any manufacturer needs a 3 year old who will kick the heck out of the seat in front for testing purposes give me a call!)
    My fathers experience with Pontiac put me off GM for the last 3 decades! But the Venture has actually been very nice. Only major complaint is the crummy headlights.
    Maybe I'm just lucky but GM gets my vote for now. I suspect my opinion will change in about 30000 miles. The 8 seat option is fantastic. The main reason we got a GM van. Why don't the other mini van makers do that? Even Toyota in European Previas had 8 seats!
  • berniekberniek Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I'm new to your Town Hall and have a question regarding my '97 short Venture. bought it new and it has 25.5K miles on it. Since the first day I noticed after the gas tank has been filled and a few gallons have been used, when I come to a stop, there is a thump that can be felt in the back of my seat. Asking the Dealer has brought the "Dead Body Thump" response, he has heard from other customers with that problem, but offered no solution. One possibility he brought up, the lack of "baffles"in the tank. But no info. was available from the Mfg/GM.
    Any idea? Thanks, BernieK
    Re problem posed under above. Do believe it is related to the gas tank theory and that if you come to sudden stop then the gas in the tank, especially over 75/80% full does cause this noise.

Experienced it on the old Chevy Lumina van and to a mild degree on my Venture 2000. My be worth checking the securing bolts of the tank to see if the need tightening. In checking www.alldata.com there was not a recall on this issue.
  • berniekberniek Member Posts: 2
    The tank bolts checked out o.k. As you noticed, there was no re-call, it's just annoying. Maybe more pronounced in my short Venture? Are there supposed to be baffles to preclude this?.
    My guess is it's the gas in the tank. The Honda Odyssey does the same thing.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Has anyone had a problem (seems to be intermittent) with starting their van? Seems that at times it will start right away, other times it cranks for @20-30 seconds. Doesn't seem to matter if engine is warm or cold. Any ideas, dealer couldn't find anything.
  • galergaler Member Posts: 3
    Our 98 Pontiac Transport had similar problems with auto door buttons of both front doors (several times)and the dealer found corroded wiring within the doors causing a short. Fixed several times under warranty and also after warranty ran out for nothing. Electrical problems seem common in these vans. We now have a seat belt light coming on when everyone is hooked and a temperature gauge that sometimes goes all over the place. Radio display is also sometimes not readable but comes back after a few minutes
  • bessejbessej Member Posts: 13
    I had the same problem in my '91 Chevy pickup. Thought someone ran into me the first time it happened but came to figue it was the gas tank and after awhile kind of got a kick out it. At least I knew I had plenty of gas.
  • newgmbuyernewgmbuyer Member Posts: 11
    I notice on my 2000 Venture that when I turn the key there is always a split second when nothing happens- it's like the car is thinking about whether it's going to crank or not. This just lasts a half second or so. I have also noticed the starting in general doesn't seem too solid- it sort of catches and then I release the key and it dies. Maybe I'm not keeping the key in the start position long enough- but for a new car it seems to be a little hesitant catching- but nothing in the 20-30 second range yet.
  • davidrothermeldavidrothermel Member Posts: 1
    FYI, we purchased a 98 Venture LS with all the bells and whistles. The van was a dream for the first 10,000 miles. Since then its been in the shop a half dozen times for warranty work. The first problem was the trans hesitated shifting in cold weather---no problem could be found. The next was the headlights had water in them from condensation--replaced both. Then the overhead lights went out and the hose to the rear window washer leaked into the rear interior light--both fixed. Then the best of all, the engine had a knocking noise at idle, similar to a valve chatter or fuel injection noise. Had it looked, the dealer wanted service records..... something was up? Here GM has a service bulletin (not a recall) on the engine that the installed pistons are too small and they slap the cylinder sidewalls. So the van was in the shop for 6 weeks, while the entire engine was rebuilt and the pistons were replaced. THEN the final straw was when a rear heater hose broke and left me sit an hour from home (I work an hour away). I called the dealer and he asked me if I could get it to the shop.....I told him only if would like to buy a new engine and come and get me somewhere between work and the dealer. Can you imagine a service manager asking such a silly question!! Well now we come to tend of our warranty and we spoke with the GM regional director about these issues and he told us we may be elligble for a GM buyback. After a week of review, we were rejected, because our we did not any "major" problems....I guess and engine rebuild is minor?
    But, they would offer us a Owner loyalty discount of $500-3000 on the next NEW vehicle we would purchase from GM.....great! Thanks for the gesture, but $500 off a $30,000 doesn't even cover the state sales tax.....GM is showing how they like their customers.....We always have had a GM product with little problems, but I would be very cautious about buying another minivan with this engine or buying this model used!!!! Good luck to all.
  • sintrasintra Member Posts: 15
    I managed to fix the condensation problem myself in 2 minutes, I just turned each small rubber hose on them to another direction !I suppose they are there to let the water evaporate. Has anyone tried this ?
  • dodi50dodi50 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have experience towing a boat or trailer weighing up to 2000 lbs with or without trailer brakes? The manual for our 1997 Venture says that we need trailer brakes for anything more than 1000 lbs, even though it is rated at a 3500 lbs towing capacity.
  • texasraccoontexasraccoon Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a new 2000 Venture Plus in June 2000. Upon startup, the interior lights and headlights pulse or flicker. It even does this several miles down the road. It is more noticeable in the dark of course. I took it into the dealer and they said that they could not reproduce the problem. Anyone else experience this irritating light show?
  • kellya1kellya1 Member Posts: 1
    We are thinking of buying a 98 Venture with 87,000 miles. After reading all the comments in Consumer Reports and on this site,we are confused at what to do? Does anyone have this model with this many miles on it? Help
    Re #690. This has been reported by other owners in last 4/6 mos and believe it is a curable problem. Try scrolling back to find it.
  • schumakerschumaker Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 Venture with 27,000 miles on it. I have had to have many little things fixed, including the middle row seatbelts. The new ones still lock up, and won't let you move. When I called the dealer to complain, he said "They all do that, it's normal", I think he's nuts. Any suggestions?
  • schumakerschumaker Member Posts: 3
    My 1999 Chevy Venture pulls to the right. I had it aligned at the dealer, and it still pulls. Now they say I need to replace the "shims". It has 27,000 miles on it and it seems like the warranty should cover these worn out parts. What are they? How do they go bad?
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    The middle row belts are designed this way to hold child seats in place. To release pull the belt out all the way.
    I had a slight pull to one side when I first got Venture 2000. I took it to an alignment specialist as dealers equipment had broken.

I would really get a second opinion as the front alignment can also be affected by the rear wheels. The shops with the computerized equipment are the best bet. Worth the $80.
  • lemonladylemonlady Member Posts: 4
    We have a 2000 Venture Ls. It is now 11/2 years old and is approaching 29K miles. At around 16K miles we started having trouble with the van. First little things like all the dash lights would come on and gages would go to zero in various driving situations like freeway 70 MPH or parking lots or while breaking etc. Took it in under warranty and dealer "could not duplicate problem" Then when I put my van in reverse and hit the gas the engine would just rev and it would not engage. After placing the trans back in park and then back in reverse it would catch after the second or third time. Also the trans felt like it was slipping around 40mph. Back to the dealer where once again they could not duplicate problem. After two more times back to the dealer they replaced my computer chip and then some thing having to do with the trans (can't remember) In recent months my van has gone in pretty routinely every fourth day. The problems? Heres the list

*interior lights flicking off and on
    *dash lights coming on and gages going to zero
    *stalling at low speeds (the last time I was almost rear ended by a truck who was driving about 60-70 and I had all three kids in my van)
    *power side door opening while drivng at about 40 mph with my 2 year old in the seat next to the door (nice huh)
    * side power door warning beep going off and on and at 1 pt beeping for 11/2 hours straight on a trip

This is the first chevy we have owned. I am very frustrated. We have contacted an attorney and are just about to go forward with the lemon law.

We paid $28,265. out the door for this van and the attorney said we would only get $23K back on the lemon law because we did not have trouble with it for the first 16K miles. I am sick as I certainly can't buy another car with this size and features for $23K. We paid cash for this van.

I don't know what direction to turn at this point yet feel that the van is becoming unsafe, very frustrated that the only answer we are getting is "can't duplicate the problem"

Someone told me we may get better results from the GMC buy back program. Does anyone have info about this? A friend had Astro van trouble and they gave her full price back on trade in as long as she bought another chevy. Do I want another Chevy? I have read of several complaints on here many of which I have. So my thoughts right now are that these cars have problems. I am considering an expedition or if we have to get another chevy a tahoe not another van. BUT again can't buy these on the $23K attorney says we will get.

Can someone give me some words of wisdom or advice?
    Thanks
    lemon lady
    Re your post above and sequnece of events. I would suggest you go to your Warranty Owner Assistance Info booklet that came with the handbook.

Turn to Owner Assistance, and if a senior person at the dealer cannot assist in a satisfactory manner, then call Chevrolet customer Assistance as spelled out. Based on your info it is still under warranty, but getting close to the 36K.

Stongly suggest you go to Chevrolet and let them have details of the problems. I would think that they would want to resolve in a psoitive manner.

So many times we read on thihs site that the "dealer unable to duplicate".
  • bessejbessej Member Posts: 13
    Ok, who out there changes their own oil on their 2000 Venture and has the problem of having the oil drain out of the filter down the wire bloom and all over the side of the engine and into the frame where it gets hot from the engine and exhaust and smells for the next 1000 miles? Has anyone installed a remote oil filter and if so what was their experience with it? I am so disgusted with where the engineers that don't work on these vehicles placed the oil filter that I usually have a good round of cussing as the oil is running down my arm. Even the techs at the dealership hate how the oil filter is set up. I am thinking very seriously of taking this to the dealership and having that remote filter installed.
  • big__daddybig__daddy Member Posts: 30
    It's so inexpensive to have it done that it's not worth the time or hassle to me. You just drive in the garage and while they're changing the oil you get a free newspaper and coffee, all without leaving your vehicle.
    Since I have my LT 2000, just on a year, I have changed the oil myself without a problem. I use the AC Delco PF47 oil filter as per handbook, which can be picked up at KMart quite cheaply $2-$3 dollars.

I found the secret is to let the main oil drain for some time after a good run, so it is nice and hot and flows easily. Be sure to wear old (gardening) gloves and do not worry if the plug goes in the bowl, it can be retrieved when saving for recycling.I use old windshield washer bottles.

In regard to filter, before removing, I push and old cloth up behind it to absorb any spillage. There will always be some oil in the filter, but sense there may be a siphoning action to take some of it out if you let the oil drain a little longer. When unscrewing be sure to try and keep it upright as possible

Quite frankly, I prefer to do it myself, knowing I am using the correct filter and filled to correct level, which a lot of these quick change jobs do not always do. Furthermore, they tighten the plug and filter way over what is required.

When filling with oil (I use Exxon Superflo 5-30 which you can get for $11-$12 per case)after the initial 3/4 quarts, run to let oil circulate and then top off to dipstick level. I have found it is better initially to be just short of the line and then re check, as on occasions I have had to drain some out.

Hope this helps.