Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    Forgot to mention that I always drain the engine oil before removing filter.

Two things I forgot to mention. Release oil filler cap and when you start to take off filter, do not take it off right away. If you release it by 3/4 of a turn, you will see the volume of oil from the drain hole increase.

When this reverts back to a drip, then remove filter.This should clear out majority of oil in the filter and stop the excess spillage...but still put an old rag as mentioned in previous message.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    and have had the same pleasant experience as Offham.
  • joe232joe232 Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a 2001 LT. Great car so far, took it on a 750 mile road trip and noticed but one annoying thing. The thermostatic switch that turns on the electric radiator cooling fan does not come on until the engine substantially exceeds normal operating temperature. I call normal on the temperature gauge the sixth segment where the needle stays as long as the car is moving (why don't they put numbers on these?). The fan does not come on until the needle reaches the tenth or eleventh segment (the gauge has a total of sixteen segments). The car does not seem to be in any danger of overheating, but I would not expect such temperature excursions to be part of an reliable engineered system. Anyone else seeing this?
  • bessejbessej Member Posts: 13
    I believe offham stated the reasons for changing his own oil quite well. I know that $20 doesn't sound like a lot of money, but when I can get Havoline oil for .49/quart cents after rebate from Shucks Auto Parts and AC Delco oil filters on sale from K-Mart for $2, I can change my own oil for $4.45 and make sure that the oil drain plug is not overtightened and stripped so that it drips on the garage floor and the oil filter is actually changed and stuff like that. I enjoy doing my own maintenence and usually go through the whole rig when I do change the oil and vacuum, wash it, and pretty much detail it out on oil change day. And I can take the wife out for lunch with the $15 dollars I saved and everybody is happy.

Thank you offham for the tips, I will try them out the next time I change oil.
  • mike5806mike5806 Member Posts: 12
    looking to buy venture in far western chicago subs.(naperville, wheaton, aurora etc.) any dealer suggestions or warnings.
    Can confirm exactly same on our van, and at first it was concerning, but adjusted my "mind set" that this is how it is set up. Since then if we are stuck in traffic etc., the fan cuts in and takes the needle back to left side of center line, and so on depending on conditions and outside temperature.

According to handbook only if needle goes into red sector 15-16 segments there is a problem, but it has the special facility to alternate the firing cylinders in the event it overheats to get to service facility. I am not sure how accurate these gauges are but merely indicators of the situation.
  • jvirginiajvirginia Member Posts: 65
    I am amazed at people stating how hot their van engines are running. My father-in-law always complained how cold his '98 Venture would run. The temp needle barely moved off the 'C' whenever he ran his van no matter how long the trip. He would need to travel approx 6 miles before he would start to get any heat in the winter time. He had the dealer service check it several times and they informed him that was normal and the way it is supposed to operate. After reading the stories here, I would want to know what 'normal' really is. The engine running as hot as the 10th and 11th segment of the temp gauge doesn't sound very good to me. It could lead to premature failure of heads or head gaskets not to mention the additional strain it puts on hoses and gaskets throughout the cooling system.
    Re your above post. If the needle does not move and little heat it is the "usual" sign that the thermostat is mulfunctioning and in fact stuck in the open position. This means that the engine is running inefficiently and never properly warmed up. I think the dealer misled your father in law.

After 23,000 mile normal on my Venture is at "10 to" position on a clock in the winter and slightly higher in the summer.
  • jvirginiajvirginia Member Posts: 65
    offham,

That is what he asked to have checked by the dealer the first time. He does have heat, it is just very slow to warm up and the gauge doesn't run high at all. He loves his van and has no complaints about it. He has approx 50,500 miles on it now and gets just over 28 mpg hwy and 21 mpg cty. I would still be concerned about an engine that runs that hot all the time, close to being in the red overheated section.
    Jvirginia

Saw your last post, and maybe there are some differences between 98 to 2000. I don't think anybody has said that the temp gage needle is even close to the red sector whihc is danger.

For the 2000, it moves off C to about "10 to " and that is the usual position highway or running around local. If stuck in traffic especially on a hot day, the needle will move around to the center and slight past to about "5 after", then the fan cuts in and brings it right back and have found this will happen continously until you are moving.

The 2000/01 have a message center on the fuel gage which was new for 2000 onwards. In this case you can get a HOT COOLANT warning or LOW COOLANT message.

Would be interested to read from others with 98's how long it takes to warm up for heat and wether the gage moves off C.

Cheers
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    Hi Folks... I am writing on behalf of a colleague at work who is devastated because her 1998 LEASED Chevy Venture with 66,000 miles has developed engine problems. She has five months to go before her lease expires and at this point was either going to buy the vehicle or lease another one from the dealer. It's been in the shop for three days now and they FINALLY have a preliminary diagnosis which is the CAM SHAFT having failed. I find it ironic that a car driven with great care, given excellent maintenance, would develop such a problem at such LOW miles. Does ANYONE know of GM possibly honoring a hidden warranty repair on this? I know that's asking a lot but any information would be greatly appreciated.
  • tmicheletmichele Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase a new vehicle and would like to know any problems owners may have had with this product. I currently own a 91 chewy corsica it has been a good vehicle but the engine runs a little to hot for my taste. And it appears Venture may have this same problem. I live in a city where traffic can be quite heavy and maddening.
  • jints2282jints2282 Member Posts: 33
    Just picked up my 2001 Venture 2 days ago, with only 114 miles, message center displayed 'service engine soon'. Dealer has no idea what the problem is, now I am driving a rental. Should have gotten a Honda instead!
  • big__daddybig__daddy Member Posts: 30
    I used to think Honda's were bulletproof. I had a '87 Accord for 10 years without any major problems. I just read the Ody posts and was supprised to see how many lemons there are. Honda's not so bulletproof after all, at least the Ody. from what I've read. I now drive a 2000 Venture ext. wheelbase and it's been very reliable thus far. I'm very glad we chose the long wheelbase.
  • mommakathmommakath Member Posts: 7
    We had the same light come on when we bought our '99 Venture. It was a relatively minor thing for the dealer to fix (not longer than a day) and it has never shown up again. We are close to 35K miles and it has been a great van so far.
    I would have to agree with #715, that Honda through clever marketing aided by Consumer Report and overall production shortage created a high demand and allowed dealers to mark this van up. I am not saying it is bad, but it has its fair share of problems. Just look at the posts.

What I see coming through the Chevy posts, is that a lot of the dealers do not seem to be "with it" and convey the wrong impression to the client. I wish GM would grab these guys by the scruff of the neck and teach them some marketing skills.

The Service Engine message can cover a variety of issues, which is checked electronically through the computer.

I can understand the frustration of getting a top of the line van that needs to be in the shop within 2 days.

Hang in there jints2282 !!!
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    On 2001 3400 V6 engines, the service engine soon light could be caused by a software programming error for the EGR system. This would set a code P1404. All that needs to be done is to reprogram the ECU with the latest software. This would most likely be true if your two week old Venture had been on the dealer's lot for a while (built during 2000). There are over 85 different situations that will set powertrain trouble codes, so this is just one possibility. I see by the time your post was made that you probably haven't heard the final findings from the dealer. Also please keep in mind that most problems with any product occur when new and Service Engine Soon trouble codes require specific operational conditions to occur to set, therefore they require mileage or time to show up. I hope your dealer fixes the problem and your get to enjoy your Venture.
    I changed the oil today in my Venture...no sweat, and I don't even have to raise the car to do it.
  • p222p222 Member Posts: 5
    my 2001 venture windows leak, all four passanger windows.Had van to chevy dealer 6 times and problem is still not fixed ,anyone else having same problem?
    I was told originally that the gas tank or tank sender was bad, but they couldn't pinpoint the exact problem, so they gave me a rental last Thursday. On Friday, they found the problem, but didn't have a replacement tank, and couldn't get it until this week, so they avoided a verbal confrontation with me by leaving me a voice at home. I went to the dealer on Friday afternoon to get the full story, and they promosed the Venture back to me by Tuesday. I gave them a piece of my mind, hoping to receive compensation instead of a rental car. Anyone has any luck getting freebies from a dealer? I have had the car for 2 days but they will have it for 6 days. Is this how GM trate their customers?? The only thing they have offered is my oil change free. Big Deal!!
    I was told originally that the gas tank or tank sender was bad, but they couldn't pinpoint the exact problem, so they gave me a rental last Thursday. On Friday, they found the problem, but didn't have a replacement tank, and couldn't get it until this week, so they avoided a verbal confrontation with me by leaving me a voice at home. I went to the dealer on Friday afternoon to get the full story, and they promised the Venture back to me by Tuesday. I gave them a piece of my mind, hoping to receive compensation instead of a rental car. Anyone has any luck getting freebies from a dealer? I have had the car for 2 days but they will have it for 6 days. Is this how CM treat their customers?? The only thing they have offered is my first oil change free. Big Deal!!
    Does anybody know if the dash mounted cupholder on the 2001 Venture fits on earlier models or if an aftermarket alternative exists? I spilled coffee on the floor because of the !@#$%^ passenger seat mounted cupholder.
    Big Daddy:

See my post 2/12. Can be done, but part is $75/$80 as it consists of the " frame" that surrounds the radio/heater controls/switches and the cup holder is mounted in there at the bottom.

It is not a straight exchange for the ashtray in the 2000.

Please check out at your Chevy dealer to see if same info.
    407 of 407 GM Minivan Recall 01V067000 by thaes Mar 28, 2001 (05:45 am)
    This recall notice is on at least the 2000 GM line. The text follows.

Vehicle Description: Mini vans equipped with passenger side power sliding doors. The door closes but may not be latched. If this happens, the power sliding door can open while the vehicle is in motion, particularly when the vehicle ascends a hill, makes a turn, or travels over a rough road surface.

An unrestrained occupant could fall out of the van and be injured.

Dealers will install a new unlatch actuator assembly to the power sliding door. Owner notification is expected to begin during April 2001. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Chevrolet at 1-800-222-1020, Pontiac at 1-800-762-2737, or Oldsmobile at 1-800-442-6537. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hot line at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT
    (1-888-327-4236).

Campaign Number: 01V067000 Date: Mar-08-2001
    Prior to my Venture I had a Lumina APV van which had the cupholders similar to the 2001. Why did they change...???

With smoking on the decrease, Chevy engineers did not catch on to the trend that people generaly do not want ash trays/lighters any more. Soccer Moms and all that.

My other theory is that as this van was designed in cooperation with GM Europe, and I bet those guys were all smokers as seems to be the most of the population. I am sure the US Chevy guys said, "Hey what about the front cup holders" and slapped them on the side of the passenger seat as a compromise.

Personally, the rear holders are not much use either, with the juice box cut out on the backs of the seats they are too shallow.
  • hickoryavehickoryave Member Posts: 1
    I have just started researching the pros/cons of this vehicle through the posting. For the most part, they seem minor. Looking at possibly purchasing new and wondered if anyone could suggest tips on getting the best price, best dealer, etc. I understand that special financing expires 4/2, so any feedback is appreciated. Has anyone purchased from any of the local dealerships from within the suburbs of Chicago, IL?
    $75 for a piece of plastic? I don't think so. I'll probably pick up a console like my sister has in her Villager. Plenty of extra storage space and the cupholders are well placed.
  • leon17leon17 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone!
    I just bought 98 Chevy venture with 25k on it. it seems to be in a very good shape, however I have couple of questions:
    1.The horn appears to be very tight to signal - needs almost a kick with palm of the hand - is it normal for this type of car?
    2. The light for Traction control button stays on
    at all times (the one below the HVAC controls.) If I turn it off it comes back on after restarting of the van. When The button light is on,Does it mean that TracControl on or off? Manual is confusing.
    Thank you
    Leon
    I found the horn a little tough to push too so this must be normal. As for traction control sorry I can't help because I don't have it.
    Agree horn does need a hit on the pad to make it work.

Re TC. In the 2000 there are two indicators. The TC is always active unless you switch it off and on this model there is a light up sign under the temp gage showing "TRAC OFF". I have not tested to see if it stays on after I re start the van.

When the TC is active, the 2000 have a message center that states "TRACTION ACTIVE" and you hear it whirring away.

My conclusion would be is that your light in fact shows it is active, until you switch it off and it auto resets next time you start.
  • billk123billk123 Member Posts: 4
    My 2000 Chevy Venture is exhibiting quirky behavior. Initially when I purchased the van the air bag warning light would flash once or twice when starting the vehicle and then stay off. Last week it flashed about 6 times and stayed on until I rode over a dip in the road and then it went off. This week it went on after going over a bump in the road but didn't come on solid the next time I started the vehicle(still initially flashed more than six times). I'm pretty certain that if I take it in to the dealer, I'll get the "No Fault Found" run around. I suspect a connector somewhere has become partially disconnected. Any ideas on where to do a quick check before spending days going back and forth to the dealer?
  • schumakerschumaker Member Posts: 3
    My 99 Venture had the air bag light come off and on every now and then. When I took it in, the dealer said it had something to do with the seat belt latch and replaced the two front seat belts and the light hasn't come on since. But, we have had lots of quirky, (non-major) faults with the van.
    Switched off Trac Control, when re started automatically reset. So it appears that if you want it off, it has to be done manually each time you start the car.Conclude that the earlier models have a "on" warning light as described by another reader.
  • sloan2sloan2 Member Posts: 8
    With 45,000 miles on my '98 Venture, I was surprised last week when my Service Engine Soon light came on. I knew from reading this board and prior knowledge that it had something to do with the emission controls. I did something smart for a change and checked-out what the owners manual had to say about the light. It suggested checking the fuel cap to make sure it was on. Apparently an open fuel cap changes the pressure in the fuel system, which affects the emmisions. I thought that sounded ridiculous, but I checked it anyway. Guess what? The cap was off. I tightened the cap and within five minutes of driving the light went off and hasn't come back on. Thanks Chevrolet for being honest enough to include quick fixes in the owners manual.
  • fgriecofgrieco Member Posts: 7
    I bought a new Venture Plus Ext. this weekend at Heritage Chev in Alexandria, VA for $24,400 with the 2.9% financing. The van is really nice, and came with the rear AC, power locks and windows, and so on.

I test drove one of these vans a while ago. The one I test drove didn't seem as nice as the one I bought. This one is just a little tighter.

I see this van as sort of a compromise between the Fords and Chryslers and the Hondas and Toyotas. I could barely afford the Honda and Toyota vans. The message boards for the Windstar and Caravan are scary places.

There aren't many people on this board that seem to have problems with their vans. Should I be looking out for anything?

Fred
    Couple of items. The black matte finish body moldings sometimes get polish on them which is hard to remove.Found a product today that does a great job called Turtle Wax Black Chrome. You only require a small amount and when buffed up they look great. It takes away any polish residue.

I noticed that the left side support pad on the drivers seat looked different and found that a wire zigzag support underneath was immediately behind the fabric and was starting wear the fabric. The dealer arranged for me to take it to an upholstery shop on Monday, and they will take off the seat cover and see what has happened to the foam. All other seats are OK.
    Found the cause of an annoying rattle FYI.

On both the rear sides of van where the rear doors slide back, there is thin panel about 1.5inches wide and 20 inches long. This covers the center slide tracking.

This is held in by two TORX screws one at each end(you need one of those special star screw drivers)and found that it was not tight.

Underneath there is a metal door stop right at the end of the tracking and it appears to knock against that.

I removed the rear light cluster and tightened the screw holding the piece of trim and it eliminated all loose movement.

The front screw is more difficult as it is behind the sliding door and you need a 90 degree tool, which I do not have. Anyway this seems to have worked.
  • missedbassmissedbass Member Posts: 48
    bought a 98 old. have 30k on it so far. have the same problem with drivers seat. on the left side it feels like the padding got pushed back and there is a wire right under the leather. bought the car used. figured the guy drove with a cell phone or a keeper on his belt. let me know what you find out what the problem is
  • marchemmarchem Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody had trouble putting fuel into a Venture. When I put gas in my 99 Venture the gas pump shuts add almost immediately. It takes over 15 minutes to fill a tank. I have been to several gas stations and used different types of nozzle and the dealer installed a new filler tube. The problem remains.
  • sintrasintra Member Posts: 15
    I have the same problem but I can fill the tank normally if I hold the nozzle horizontally. For a second or so, the problem occurs, then it's OK. I have been doing this for almost 3 years now.
    Hope this will help !
  • rbrixtonrbrixton Member Posts: 2
    My 1999 Venture Van with 33k has developed an intermittent shifting problem. Dealer can't find the problem (of course it doesn't happen when it's at the dealer). You can feel the vehicle "skip" when shifting gears. This happens in all gears and will happen either hot or cold. Sometimes you can hear the engine race just prior to going into gear. Then the problem will vanish. Sometimes returning the next week or months later. Any help would be greatly appreciated due to the
    factory warranty running out in 3k miles.
    Thanks
    Rick L>
    Spoke to the shop that fixed the seat, and this is quite a common problem on driver's side. As you get in and out of the van, pressure is put on the left side support.

According to upholsterer, the GM foam/padding quality is not the best and eventually the wire support works/cuts it's way through foam, and that is what you can feel behind the seat fabric.

He replaced all of it and put a patch under the fabric to ensure it does not wear through.
    I had a look at www.alldata.com (Chevy Truck 1999)
    and saw that a service bulletin was issued in Feb 2000 under ref 00-07-30-002 with text of "Slips,Harsh upshift....".

Not sure whether this related to problem described, but would ask dealer to review the TSB under that reference to see if it is similar to the situation you are getting.

Rest assured, it is something developing that could end up being costly.
  • p222p222 Member Posts: 5
    well now i had my van to dealer 7 times and all four windows still leak.service manager has stated they dont know how to fix them.Factpory rep. has looked at van, so far no offers of them buying vehicle back.Any one else with water leaks?
  • robfilmsrobfilms Member Posts: 5
    i'm looking used and doing my homework.

i know in 98 got chair-mounted side impact air bags. was wondering if anyone can tell changes in 99 models? or 2000 model? or 2001 model?

any and all opinions are appreciated.

tia

rob
    Rob:

Firstly, I would go to www.alldata.com (see my #744 post) and review the GM service bulletin subject titles. You will get an idea of the sort of problems in each model year.

As far as I can recall most of the changes between 99/2001 were small. Nobody knows except Chevy what technical changes were made between the model years.

99/2000: Redsigned facia and message system. New radios with built in single CD player. Different seat fabrics.

00/01: New grille, 6 CD player option, decent cup holder in the dash. Back seats can fold flat and some sort of shopping bag tray. If you want the WB version bigger tv screen and wireless headphones.

Again it depends on the model you are looking at, but from posts it would appear that 2000 are looking to be more reliable than previous years.
  • robfilmsrobfilms Member Posts: 5
    offham-

thanks for your posts.

for the above model years, no engine tweaking?

does any of the 2000 gm vans have a rear seat that folds flat or is that feature available only on the 2001 models?

i've read that the 2001 model side impact air bag is now designed to protect the head. does that mean that the previous generation of side impact bags DO NOT protect the driver/occupant's head?

again, thanks for sharing your obvioous experience. be well.-rob
    Rob:

In regard to mechanicals, one has to hope that any problem found in a '99 was a production fix for '00 and so on.

According to handbook side airbags in 2000 are to shoulder height and only activated in side impact.

The fold flat rear seat is only for 2001. This seems to be a poor solution to the Honda rollaway rear seat. The Chevy one is not flush with the floor but must be 5/6 inches higher. We have the 8 seat version and the rear bench is a split flip and fold and each half can come out individually.

For hauling college stuff/ice hockey gear it is great and the three center row seats do the same. For us it gives max flexibility relative to cargo and passengers.

Trust assists.

Rgds

David
  • gdcrockettgdcrockett Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Venture, that I bought new about a year ago and I have been very pleased with it. The only problems have been minor, like the cover for the aux power in the dash broke off and the handle for the hatch broke, but the dealer fixed those with just a minor inconvience. I have found that the service at my dealer (Maher Chev in St. Petersburg, FL) is compentent but slow. 2-3 hours and $20 for an oil change, no thanks, I'd rather do it myself, and I have ever since the first free one.

I have the short middle bench seat. The salesman that sold us the van said that we could come back later and get the 3 modular seats to make the long middle bench. Now child #3 is on the way and I want those 3 middle seats. I went to the dealer and the parts manager said that it was Chevy policy to NOT sell whole seats. Now I cannot get the seats without buying a new van or finding a wreck at a salvage yard. Have any of you run into this problem and/or any suggestions for getting my hands on these seats?
    Thanks in advance.
    Grant,
    I also want the 3-abreast in my 99 with bench seats....you are right, you can't buy seats from GM, and I tried some net sites as well. Someone in this folder located seats at a junkyard. This appears to be the only way to get 'em, unfortunately.
    Christian