Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• philipnleephilipnlee Member Posts: 1
    What is the towing capacity of the extended Venture. Any one have experience towing with these? How are they?
    Thanks
    Phil
    Ontario, Canada
  • gdcrockettgdcrockett Member Posts: 3
    OK, so now I am scouring salvage yards for the seats that I want to put in my 2000 van. But what model years and Trim levels have the 3 across middle seats. I suspect 1999 & 2000 vans, but what about 1998 and earlier? Also will seats from a Pontiac Transport/Montana or Oldsmobile Silhouette fit into my Venture?
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    that Montana/Venture/Silo rear seats are interchangeable thru 1998, but the chances of matching your interior are slim. Plus you'll have to add a seatbelt.
    I have given up trying to have 3-abreast in my Venture because of all the trouble.
  • agt_cooperagt_cooper Member Posts: 202
    driving 4 hours to pick up a 2000 Montana with the 8-seat configuration! Now, if she only knew what you guys are going through to get that configuration "after the fact", she might be inclined to change her views......well maybe!!!
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    It also depends on the model you have, as the three across second row was only available on the LS/LT and WB in 2000. appears the case for 2001

In regard to those with the second row split bench, do you have floor fittings all the way across? If not appears nothing can be done, even if you could get the seats.
  • gdcrockettgdcrockett Member Posts: 3
    Yes, my van has extra floor fittings, but not all trim levels do. The Base model that we originally ordered (did not purchase) did not have any extra floor connections. It didn't have armrests either, so I'm not suprised. A family friend has a 1999 Venture with the 3 center seats, I might just try and see if they fit. So I don't waste a lot of time searching to find out they don't line up.
    This happened for the first time last week and the "pump jock" (no self service in NJ) seemed to think that there was too much air in the tank. Once it got to half way it went OK. Don't believe him as never happened before.
  • rbrixtonrbrixton Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help on this. I contact GM regarding the service bulletin, who in turned called my local service dealer. The problem was due to a "worn rear clutch". The rear clutch in the transmissions was replaced and the transmission was rebuilt. All covered under
    warranty. Because of this, I will be trading in the van previous to
    hitting 36K miles(It has 33k). From past experence I don't want to own a vehicle that needed this type of service with such low milage. Thanks again for you help.
    Rick L>
  • bholiobholio Member Posts: 21
    What if you tried telling the dealership parts dept that your set was stolen?

How can your van contain irreplacable parts like that? What if your seats were really stolen?

I'll bet your insurance company wouldn't swallow the cost to 'total' your 1 year old vehicle because $1500 worth of seats were stolen from it.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    Remember when we were posting about the Awful IIHS Offset Crash ratings a few months ago? Check this folder out:
    Town Hall/News & Views/Vehicle Safety/Is it all in the crash test ratings?
    I learned once again from people smarter than me that I shouldn't transport my family in a Venture!
    I read all 121 messages in that forum and didn't see anything to convince me that a "For Sale" sign should be the next accessory I purchase for my Montana.

Thanks for your concern, but I'll take real-world statistics over test lab theories any day.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    GM minivan recall for mechanical defect in sliding door.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • autolover3autolover3 Member Posts: 53
    Has anyone seen the latest Chevrolet Venture crash test results on the NHTSA home page that were posted this month? Didn't it get 4 stars in almost all categories? Isn't this better than previous reports?
  • jints2282jints2282 Member Posts: 33
    I just received a post card for recall # 01013. Anyone know what exactly is involved in this recall for my 2001 WB edition?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The recall affects minivans equipped with passenger side power sliding doors.

I can't link directly there, but if you go to NHTSA and drill down to '01 Chevy Truck Venture All Components, you'll find it:-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    It is some type of latch actuator....doesn't seem to be a big job.

We had our van in for a wheel balance and rotation and the dealer informed us of the recall and did the work that day.
  • lawtlawt Member Posts: 2
    I have a '97 Venture and am wondering why the short PF47 is the recommended oil filter when the longer PF 52 fits fine with lots of clearance and has the same filter diameter.This longer filter offers much more filter medium and greater oil volume overall.So why is the teacup-size PF47 the recommended one? Anybody know?
    When I had the Lumina APV, the manual required the PF 52, although a dealer did put on the PF 47 telling me that it was fine for either filters. However that was a different engine to the Venture (3.1 to 3.4).

Whilst it may fit OK, you do not know how the pressure is set up inside the engine and that with the PF 52 may cause lubrication problems, resulting in damage. This could void the warranty eventhough it was a GM filter.

Personally, wouldn't touch it and stick with the PF47 and change the oil on 3000 mile schedule.
  • lawtlawt Member Posts: 2
    My '97 Venture air flow has a musty odor and I think it needs a passenger compartment air filter change.( I got the van used).Maybe it never was changed! My question is about the degree of difficulty in changind the two filters found at the back of the glove box.Is the change difficult?Are the two necessary filters worth the money?Is the change likely to get rid of the musty A/C smell? What can you tell me?
    This is a very simple job. Hard part is the $85 for the two..! Your handbook should have a section on this procedure.

The filters are in the glove compartment behind a trap door with a 3M sticker on it. Pop the open and you will see then first filter (they are side by side). Slide out the one immediately in front of you, but note the way the foam strip is set. From memory it is higher on the left side than the right. The new ones have to go back the same way

Reach in and pull out the second filter to the left.Replacement is the exact reverse.

I replaced mine after a year at the was quite a collection of stuff caught in the filter material. I certainly felt the air was "fresher" after the change.
  • greg32greg32 Member Posts: 48
    Got two cabin filters from Pep Boys a year ago for $30. They have worked fine. I would definitely shop around before spending $85 on two filters. The change is easy.
  • leon17leon17 Member Posts: 2
    I noticed in my 98LS venture there is a whistling noise when I turn the steering wheel all more than half way. Sounds like sttering pump or a belt Not sure. Does anyone has /had the same problem. Also when shifting from park to drive I hear loud click upon release of a brake pedal - what the heck is this - a clutch? Never owned domestic car before, perhaps I 'll get used to wierd noises.
    Thank you
    Leon
    Re 772 Greg32. Thanks for the info re Pep Boys carrying these filters will make sure I check there next time.
  • minnbillminnbill Member Posts: 28
    Last oil change was just over 2000 miles ago. We drive about 50-50 mix of slow city traffic and faster highway miles. I followed the directions in the owners manual--put ignition in "run", floor gas pedal 3x in 5 seconds then start the engine. Light still will not turn off until after about 30 seconds after engine started. Never had a problem with this before. Have had van 1 year and 14000 miles on it. Oil doesn't look unusually dirty either. I have not yet checked previous posts on Venture to see if anyone else has had similar problem...
    Bill:

This subject has come up before. When you last changed the oil, did this problem occur from the getgo or is it only in the last few weeks?

As the hand book tells you it is not set off due to mileage but temperature.

I had a similar problem after I changed the oil, and considered that the gas pedal was not going down far enough to reset. I took at the floor mats out to see if it would allow any further depression. I had put in thick rubber grooved ones

If that does not work, then Plan B is to lift the hood and you will see where the gas pedal cable comes through to a half circle metal device and when you press on the gas pedal, this rotates to the right.

Turn the ignition to run and then manually move this metal piece to the right as far as it will go to the right for the three times.May need another person to assist with only 5 sec allowed!

Then turn ignition key to "off" and then restart engine.

Rgds

David
    thanks for the info offham. Will try the gas pedal thing when I get home tonight. No, I've never had this problem before. Last oil change was on 2/24 and the light only started coming on this past weekend. More of an annoyance than anything else, but we're planning a long road trip Memorial weekend and don't want any problems w/the van.
    (I did scroll through all the earlier posts and see that this problem was discussed earlier)
  • bessejbessej Member Posts: 13
    I had the same problem with my van with the light, I followed the instructions in the manual but still the light would not go off. Took it to the dealership and they had a little trouble until they figured out you had to depress the accelerator four times instead of three as spelled out in the manual. Havn't had a problem since that little discoverey. Try four times instead of three and see what happens.
  • billk123billk123 Member Posts: 4
    I am having a problem with the passenger side windshield wiper when driving into a head wind. The air flow pattern as evidence by raindrops on the windshield causes the windshield wiper to violently and loudly extend off the right side of the windshield when driving into a head wind any greater than 30 mph. I've already broken one wiper blade and scared years off my life as the behavior is unpredictable and unexpected. Has anyone else experienced this and what solution is recommended?
  • mommygraymommygray Member Posts: 3
    I have just bought a 2000 Chevy Venture with 24,000 miles on it, and absolutely love it so far. The only thing that concerns me is a scrubbing noise I hear when applying the brakes at times. I do not have any warning lights on and my husband and a guy at our local garage doesn't think it is anything other than the type of brake pads that the van has on. It sounds like it is in the front passenger side. Anyone else have any similar noises, and any ideas.
    In regard to wipers have never experienced the described problem. Have driven in heavy rain conditions. There has to be more to it and suggest that the wiper arm needs to be reset, so it stops at the end or the arc on the glass. This appears to be a simple operation.

In regard to brakes, have not had that noise or seen any other similar posts. Assume they are the original pad, which to my mind are soft and need more pressure to really feel some braking going on.

Maybe the rotors need re surfacing, but would have it properly checked out under warranty.

Would like to know outcome.
    Just an update on my posting of yesterday. My husband took the van to a local garage just to get their opinion, because I didn't want to wait a week to get into a dealer service department if it was something we were going to be paying for anyhow, but anyhow the mechanic seems to think that the rotor in the front passenger wheel is warped and that it needs to be turned or replaced, new brake pads probably needed, and bushings packed. We have an appointment with dealer on Friday and was assured that it would be fixed. I will update after that. Other that the scrubbing noise, we love it so far.
  • bessejbessej Member Posts: 13
    If the mechanic is suggesting that you need the front bushings, ( I am assuming he means bearings), packed, he is ripping you off. There are no bearings to pack. It is a front wheel drive car and if he suggests that you have the rear bearings packed, ask to watch him as he takes them off as they should be sealed and last the life of the vehicle without needing to be packed. This is a great way for mechanics to make money and not have to provide any service.
  • sintrasintra Member Posts: 15
    I had exactly the same problem last year and they fixed it at the garage. It has been OK so far. It had even damaged the paintwork.It is true that the noise was frightening.
    Thanks for the info bessej - this is certainly good news to know before we go to the garage. I will update after Friday. Thanks again.
    Now that I got the "Change engine oil" light to turn off (post 775, I pressed the pedal 4 times instead of three and it turned off), now my fuel gauge is stuck on full. I gassed up 4 days ago, have driven 150 miles since then, and the gauge still reads "full". Now I know my mileage isn't THAT good. Have to go in for an oil change in the next week anyway, guess I'll have the dealership check this out, or does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?

(I like this van, but these nagging problems, including a failed power window switch, are beginning to aggravate me. Only bought a year ago!)
    Bill:

I have similarly noticed that if the tank is really filled up, the needle takes some time to shift off the full mark and would think that it may require more than 150 miles to move off, especially on a long run. From then it can move a little quicker. What does the overhead readout say in terms of mpg and gas used? (I find it is over optimistic - less gas than actual hence better mpg.)

Assume it goes down to empty when ignition is turned off.

As an aside the oil change light came on, having changed the oil/filter over weekend. Tried the four times, but in the end lifted the hood and reset by moving the fulcrum with the throttle cable right round to the stop. It has not come back. What I fail to get is that if the oil monitoring system is based temp/revolutions, why does it come on in the case of new oil.
  • p222p222 Member Posts: 5
    had a 2001 ls extended venture that had all four middle and rear windows leaking. had it to dealers 7 times ,and they could not fix it Chevy gave me a replacement and im having the same problem with water collecting on the interier window seals look like i will be going to the service department 7 more times for them to tell me they cant fix it. any one else have any water leaks?
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    If you start the van with your foot on the brake pedal, the ABS self test will happen when the pedal is released. The test normally happens during starting, so it is masked.
  • romathromath Member Posts: 1
    Hello, We are considering getting this van. My dad is a GM retiree, so I'm eligible for certain pricing. However, it really doesn't seem like that great of a deal. How much were you all able to negotiate price-wise on the Warner Bros. or LT Edition? I think we want the 8 passenger model as we have 4 kids. Thanks for your help.

Robin
  • rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    We just picked up a Montana with the GM discount and it was around 13% off sticker. That should be near or below invoice so there is no negotiating. You also get either the 0.9% financing or the current rebate which I believe is either $1500 or $2000. I don't know where you've been getting your vehicles but that is a great deal.
  • sjs442sjs442 Member Posts: 1
    When you say 13% off sticker (which is about invoice), is that before one takes off the rebate or after? I.E. MSRP discount to Invoice then subtract Rebate or MSRP minus Rebate = Invoice.
  • rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    With the GM discount you take the percentage (which for the minivans is about 13%) off of the MSRP. So if the van's MSRP is $30,000 you get $3900 off of that. Then you can take the rebate off of that. If the rebate is $2000 you get a total of $5900 off $30,000.

Usually with GM discounts you are getting the car for less than invoice before the rebates are even factored in. Therefore, there is no haggling usually on that price. If there is a dealer incentive you may be able to haggle with that to get even more off of the vehicle but it's probably not likely they will part with it unless they have a vehicle that has been sitting around for a while and want to get rid of.

Right now you can't order a 2001. They stopped production. So that means that you either wait till the fall or have them locate one (use gmbuypower.com and you can find one on your own). If you do a locate, the 13% may drop a bit. GM doesn't give as much of a discount when locating which may mean you pay up to $500 more for the vehicle vs. ordering but probably more like $300 more.
  • cpdcherrycpdcherry Member Posts: 2
    We decided to go with the LT. The WB van costs about 1k to 2k more, while adding the TV/VCP and leather seats and subtracting the traction control and touring suspension.

Prices on the LT edition (not including customer rebates) ranged from 27835 to 26290. The price you get may depend on whether or not the vehicle qualifies for the dealer incentives. The GMbuypower web site is very useful if you want to check out what is available at dealers in your area, but it can be time-consuming to search for a particular car with the specific options you want.
  • blendengblendeng Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know if the 2001 venture/montana have rear window wipers?
  • dlubindlubin Member Posts: 66
    Yes.
  • jamkatandjamkatand Member Posts: 1
    Just signed on the dotted line for a new WB Edition and 24 hours ago I wasn't even thinking about getting a new vehicle. Why did I do that..?

...yesterday, I got a call from GMAC, plus a mail shot, which says I can terminate lease on my current vehicle early (Pontiac GP - not due to run out until Feb 2002). Not surprisingly, the condition on early termination is that I must get another GM vehicle.

I already like the Venture as it is one of the only mini vans with 3 second row bucket seats. I have 3 children so this is perfect for me. I've also driven one as a rental once and it seemed fairly easy and car-like to drive.

To cut a short story even shorter, I went to local dealer and got the WB at dealer invoice. I also got an extra $500 off as part of this lease termination deal and I as didn't want another lease I was able to get 0.9% finance over 5 years with zero deposit.

It may be possible to get a better deal than this as I believe there is a current surplus of all Venture models and I didn't have to try very hard to get this deal. Either way I'm fairly satisfied with the deal I got.

I should be able to pick the van up in a weeks time - will post any good/bad I vibes get as the experience unfolds.
  • dlubindlubin Member Posts: 66
    We've pretty much decided to purchase a GM minivan (we have a 99 montana now coming off lease soon) ...

We're looking at the Warner Bros. Venture, Montanta w/ Montanavision, and the Silhouette Premier.

I know the Olds/Ponti have steering wheel audio controls and tach, the ponti has lower boddy cladding and 'sport suspension', and the olds has auto temp. control.

Does the venture have less sound deadening material (sounds louder)? I know it doesn't have steering wheel controls or a tachometer.

Anyone have an idea of the differences between them?

Thanks in advance,

-Dan
    Dan:

I would feel that you are down to personal visual preferences on the three vans. We have the 8 seat LT Venture in Dark Blue, which maybe the vanilla of the three, but as far as we are concerned it gets the job done, rides great and good mpg, especially on long hauls. For us the three second row flip and fold modular seats were a better option than the two captains chairs.(We had them in the old APV, so it was a definite.)

We never looked at the other two as essentially more expensive, and in any event did not like the outside cladding/orange lighting on the dash for the Pontiac Montana.

Someone has just posted that you are now down to what is on the dealer's lot as production for 2001 has ceased. This may create a better price opportunity for you.

Good luck...decisions, decisions
  • amazineamazine Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone own a 97 or 98 venture with over 100,000 on it? Friend at work it selling his and it has alot of miles on it. Not sure of what is the model but he loves it. He's not asking alot for it but don't want to get stuck with a van that will need a new motor or trans. Any help will be greatful...
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    The Director of Music Education in my town has a 1997 Pontiac TransSport Montana which as of the 16th of May has 155,403 miles on it. No engine or trans repairs. He drove his 1990 Pontiac Transsport to over 210,000 before getting the 1997.