Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• jpobrienjpobrien Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Venture and had the same problem after about 20K miles. The dealer claimed it was a build up of brake dust and simply blew it all out and cleaned it up. Haven't had the problem since and at about 26K miles so it appears they were right. May or may not be same problem.
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    Further my post #1701. Got out the van to see if I could hear anything when I next filled up. Noise is still there and it sounds to me like the shut off valve in the pipe from the side of the van to the tank.
  • norwalknorwalk Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up our new 2001 Chenvy Venture WB. Before leaving the dealer lot, noticed problems with the rear air-conditioner (not working) and with the door lights (not coming on when door open) and the driver seat armrest way too low. Car back to dealer now and he has not figured out the problems yet. Anyone had experienced similar problems? Thanks.
  • venture01venture01 Member Posts: 1
    Picked up my Chevy Venture WB in April - loved it! Within the first week, the VCP had to be replaced. In May, the front fan control stopped working on #1 speed - had to have that replaced. In June, the rear air conditioning started blowing HOT air - had to have that replaced! Now it's July! Today I noticed a loud flapping noise coming from under the hood while running. I immediately took it to the dealer who diagnosed it as a broken fan system that cools the air conditioning unit...now that has to be replaced! I wonder what's in store for August!!!!!!Are the Lemon Laws in effect for me!!!???
  • jints2282jints2282 Member Posts: 33
    As I reported earlier, my WB was back in the shop within the first 100 miles, as the service engine soon light came on. I was givin a rental as it took them 5 days to troubleshoot and replaced the gas tank. I was back again within the first month for a recall, something about a door latch. No rental was given for that day. Then last month, the VCP sounded funny when playing a tape with the car stereo off. The speaker sounded muffled, as if though the tape was bad or the head was dirty. Tried it again the following day, the problem went away. Don't know how, don't care. Now my WB has 3500 miles, hopefully I can get all the kinks fixed before the warranty runs out!
  • mrsleblancmrsleblanc Member Posts: 1
    Our van engine shut down 6 times in 24 hours. The mechanic at the dealership said there was a CM bulletin for this problem. Something to do with corroded wires although this is not a recall. IT SHOULD BE DON' YOU THINK!!!! We haven't gotten it back yet so we don't know if it was our van's problem.
  • sintrasintra Member Posts: 15
    Can anyone tell us how many Ventures, Silhouettes and Montanas have been sold so far ?
  • 3darcher3darcher Member Posts: 2
    Well with a soon to be addition raising our clan total to 6, I decided to take a Venture for a test drive tonight. I am a life GMer, and this was the first minivan I have ever driven. My daily driver is a 99 Silverado Ext Cab. How can you people live with that kind of body roll? And I drove a short WB, I don't want to think what a extended would be like. The van I drove had the soft ride suspension. Is there an aftermarket cure for this, or are the touring suspension on the LS, LT and WBE acceptable? I hate to spend $7K for a suspension. Is this the way ALL minivans ride?
    We have the Touring Suspension on a Long Wheel Base Venture. Virtually all manufacturers moved to a more car like ride as most buyers were moving up from cars to vans, rather than yourself going from a stiffer suspension down to a van.

Yes you can get body roll, if you take road bends too fast, especially on/off ramps.

However you adjust your driving to cater and would believe putting stiffer shocks/struts would be worth the money.

Overall, we have found the ride to be very good especailly on long trips.
    We have the Touring Suspension on a Long Wheel Base Venture. Virtually all manufacturers moved to a more car like ride as most buyers were moving up from cars to vans, rather than yourself going from a stiffer suspension down to a van.

Yes you can get body roll, if you take road bends too fast, especially on/off ramps.

However you adjust your driving to cater and would believe putting stiffer shocks/struts would not be worth the money.

Overall, we have found the ride to be very good especailly on long trips.
  • olathe4olathe4 Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a 2001 WB edition Chevy Venture van 3 months ago. We love it. Our only complaint is that the AC makes a weird vibrating noise when the van is idling or in park. Does not do this when the van is in drive or reverse. Have had this to the dealer twice for repair. They replaced the fan, but it hasn't helped. Anyone have any ideas about this?
  • dlubindlubin Member Posts: 66
    Compared to the other vans I tried - Especially the Windstar, I think the sport suspension on my '01 Montana is excellent.

-Dan
    '01 Pontiac Montana (8 Passenger w/ Montanavision)
  • kmcarthurkmcarthur Member Posts: 2
    We purchased 2000 Venture in May. When we made the first trip to the gas station, we discovered a problem when filling the gas tank. The gas pump keeps clicking off. The only way we can fill up is by slightly holding in the trigger. If we squeeze the trigger too much, the pump shuts off. The Chevrolet dealer and the Chevrolet customer assistance do not have a solution to the problem and are looking into it. Any suggestions?
  • bcd99bcd99 Member Posts: 45
    kmcarthur, I had the same problem with my '01 Silhouette. Don't pump with the nozzle all the way in to the gas tank. Put it in all the way, then pull it back slightly. Due to the angle of the pipe that goes to the tank in your car the gas flowing in is splashing back and making the pump shut off because it thinks your tank is full.
    Lots of pick-up trucks have the same problem.
  • yzfyzf Member Posts: 65
    kmcarthur:

I agree with bcd99. The problem is that the gas pump flow is strong and the angle of the pump nozzle fully inserted rests towards the bottom of the filler pipe. That combination causes the gas to splash up from the bottom of the filler pipe surface creating just enough back flow pressure to fool the pump into thinking the tank is full. It's not a defect on your minivan, but a rather common occurrence. Happens on my wife's VW Cabrio as well. As bcd99 suggests, just pull the nozzle back a little bit from full insertion and you should be fine.
  • drgw1drgw1 Member Posts: 3
    Bought a 2000 WB Venture about 10 months ago. End of run for 2000's.

Had my doubts about Chevy product but couldn't pass on deal. Brother in-law works for GM.

We now have 17K on it after many trips back to Iowa from Colorado. And I must say I've been converted. Haven't had a single problem.

Runs like a champ, love the room, kids love the VCP.

Seating configuration, which I thought odd at first, is most handy and adaptable. The three across the middle is great on long trips because I or my wife can sit between the kids and entertain for a while. When we arrive in Iowa, take out load, fold down two rear seats and have room for other family to ride.

Rear heater/AC works just fine. Fuel milage, especially for how well V6 runs, is admirable. We get around 19-20 in town 22-23 on highway with full load. Load leveling works.

And it doesn't cost anymore to insure than the Honda Odessy, which tells me that in the real world the insurance companies haven't found the Venutre to be any greater liability than the "5 Star" vans.

Hows that for a positive note?
  • agt_cooperagt_cooper Member Posts: 202
    That's almost exactly the experience we've had with a 2000 Pontiac Montana. We've had it 10 months, now has about 13,000 miles....

Apart from the door recall, nothing adverse to report. Fuel economy is great for such a large vehicle, the 8 seat configuration is very handy, and as you noted, insurance is dirt cheap!!! We actually pay less for this vehicle than for a 1997 Mazda 626!
    Have to agree with last posts and our Venture LT 2000 (March) continues to give faultless performance. Had to run to Virginia Beach from NJ for ice hockey tourny...yes folks ice hockey is now all year round for kids..Computer said 31.1 mpg on round trip, but probably slightly less as always put more in than computer says I used.

I find it interesting that in this Van site, it is only the three GM vans that do not have a specific "problem" site. Just look at DC, Honda, Sienna, Mazda MPV.

I know that people do post these issues on the GM sites, but appear to be a lot less than the others.
  • bingmechbingmech Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 1999 Chevy Venture with 80,000 miles (125,000 km). So, I made the oil change, replace oil & engine air filter, PVC valve. When I came to spark plugs, I notice that 3 out of 6 were easily accessible. As for the 3 other ones located close to the fire wall, I'm still wondering how to do it. There's no place to pass even my whole hand! But there's one thing that I now understand, is why these plugs cost so much and why they should be change at 60,000m intervals! Does anyone knows the procedure how to replace them without taking the car to the garage (or dealer). Is there any special tool needed?
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    Our 99 Venture is still perfect.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Is it possible that the dealer replaces them from under the vehicle?
    I think requires the engine to be tilted forward, which invloves removing some accessories. I expect to let the dealer do this when the time comes.
  • bcd99bcd99 Member Posts: 45
    When I change plugs in my old cutlass ciera, I have to unbolt the front engine mount and then rock the engine forward, slide the bolt in the second hole, then do the work. I imagine the same holds true for the minivan. Will have to look at my silhouette when I get home.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    They are expensive because that are platinum tips for clean firing and extended life. They are capable of going to the 100,000 miles recomended change interval under most driving. Therefore that is 3x longer then previuos designs. To replace them from above you have to remove the wiper motor cover and then you rotate the engine forward. Best to replace them from under the car on a lift.
  • jonesmat1jonesmat1 Member Posts: 1
    I have had a similar sound like problem when idling, as well as a whining sound from what sounds like the rear ac unit when I slow down. Havent taken it to the shop yet, but would like to know if your dealer makes a final determination about it.
    Last week our Venture developed an intermittent rumble at around 45 mph. Turned out to be loose crossmembers on the luggage rack fluttering in the wind.
  • warrenw48warrenw48 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2000 WB edition and really like it, but I am now having problems with a/c. I need to take it in but I wanted to get some feedback from those who have had similar problem. speed 1 and 2 doesn't seem to blow any air. Now 3 and 4 go off and on. And 1 and 2 now work (ocassionally Any one had same problem. Thanks.
    Warren:

Sounds like your fan switch or fan motor is kaput, which seems unusual in a new van. Could also be loose wiring given the intermittent nature of the problem. Have the dealer swap out the fan parts (under warranty of course!) and check the wiring. That should take care of your problem.

ps: I am not a mechanic - I just play one on TV!
  • warrenw48warrenw48 Member Posts: 21
    Thank you for the help. I'll try to sound alittle more intelligent with my service representative now.
  • kmcarthurkmcarthur Member Posts: 2
    Reference #863 of 879 Gas Pump Shuts Off

Thanks for the suggestions, but they did not work. Note: the gas pump nozzle when fully inserted? rests at an angle that is more horizontal than verticle (ie not towards the bottom of the tank) as if something is obstructing the path through the filler pipe? A truck owner with a similar situation told me he had tried everything, and it ended up being a crimped filler pipe. I hate to be pushy, but I think the dealer really needs to look into this.
    Is inspecting the gas tank, or even replacing the gas tank, or filler pipe, really that costly?
  • chevventurer98chevventurer98 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, everyone, I am new on this board, our 98 Venture Ex.'s alternator need to be replaced, but after took off several bolts we found that it is inside just next to the fire wall, and we can not take it out, have changed a couple of alternators on other cars, never have this difficulty. Could any body help us out on this? Could we disassemble the alternator and take it out? How about install a new one in with out take off the engine mount? Thanks a lot.
  • yodlee01yodlee01 Member Posts: 2
    I would like to know what is a good and realistic price I can expect to pay for a new Venture WB edition with the trailering package and self-seal tires? The MSRP is 31825 and the "invoice" is 29,125. I want a silver one if that matters.

Thanks in advance.
  • dlubindlubin Member Posts: 66
    yodlee01,

I just purchaed my Montana (similar configuration, video system, etc). While I did go through GM Employee for it, I did some price shopping before hand, and found that prices were no more than $300 over invoice (before incentives).

You should be able to get it for that or less..

Good luck!

-Dan
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    Among other steps, (wires and 3 main bolts) you must remove the drive belt tensioner, the alternator bracket, the fuel pressure test port cap, and most importantly, you must unbolt (but not disconnect) the power steering pump and move it out of the way before you can remove the alternator. If you expect to keep the van for a long time, and will be doing much of your own repair work, you should consider getting the GM service manuals from http://www.helminc.com - I have the books for the 1999 GM trio and they are a fantastic reference.
    kmcarthur:

Chances are your dealer/mechanic will not try to find the cause of your problem, but just replace the fuel filler and tank instead. It's actually cheaper all around, because finding the exact cause of your problem may entail removing the tank, slicing it open and inspecting for problems. Once they've done that, it takes less time and less resources to replace the tank and filler neck than try to fix your original tank/filler neck. The allegedly defective part may be sent back to Detroit for inspection (if safety-related and potentially a NHTSA issue), but more than likely, the mechanics will simply toss it in the trash. The general attitude in auto repair is if a part is defective or SUSPECTED defective, just replace it and who cares what caused it! If that doesn't fix the problem, find another part that may have caused the problem and replace that - repeat until problem goes away.

As for YOUR cost, since the van is relatively new, it should certainly be covered under warranty and cost you nothing more than time and inconvenience in having to have it serviced.

Good luck.
  • chevventurer98chevventurer98 Member Posts: 2
    Hardesty,

thanks a lot, i went to the web site and the search only came out the owner manuals so i called them and been told that the service manual is available for $120, i think that's what i am going to get one later. thanks again.
    yodlee01

My wife and I got our '01 Silhouette Premiere about two months ago. With no connection to GM whatsoever (besides being GM fans), we paid $200 over invoice price. That price was offered by three different dealers in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. The Silo Premiere is like the WB edition of the Venture (both GM minivans built on identical platforms with almost identical features). It came fully loaded with every conceivable feature (except engine block heater - definitely not needed in this climate!) and even the automatic driver's side sliding door. You should easily be able to do that unless GM vans are particularly hot sellers in your area. This price, BTW, was WITHOUT all the incentives currently offered by GM. After getting the $200 over invoice price, we opted for the 0.9% financing.

Good luck.
  • yodlee01yodlee01 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice from you all. I was able to purchase a silver 7 seater WB with the trailer towing package and the self sealing tires for $800 below the dealers stated invoice. This was before any incentives from GMAC or my trade-in. Unfortunately you have to add TT&L back in before taking off for the trade-in. But with the .9% financing my finance charge for 60 months is only $685.

Thanks again
  • harris5kharris5k Member Posts: 7
    I love my GM van, but does anyone have a pronounced wind noise around the edge of the door and the windshield? It could be coming from the mirror. If so, were you able to correct it? By the way, it isn't coming from the black cowl at the base of the windshield that other people have experienced. Thanks.
    I had part of the rubber gasket that surrounds the windshield pop up just recently. It did create some wind noise. Doesn't appear they use any adhesive to attach it, just a press-fit.
    Might check that.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    One of the rear tires on my wife's van must have gone flat as it essentially disintegrated and almost melted, my wife said when she started noticing a noise and the smoke she stopped but as she was trying to get onto the shoulder and out of the way she noticed that pressing down on the accelerator didn't do much. Was that the traction control kicking in due to the severe imbalance in tire rotation ??
    Although they are the factory FR680 Firestones and not the Wilderness, she demanded I replace them all with Michelins!
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The traction control only works for the drive wheels which, in this case, would be the front ones only.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • smahlesmahle Member Posts: 14
    My 99 Venture has had numerous problems since the day I drove it off the lot. I have had fuel injectors replaced, main seal, window motors, door seals, anti-lock brake lights not functioning, air bag light issues, etc.... I have 35xxx miles and am looking at trying to get an extended warranty from GM. The service manager thought they might extend it up to 50,000. I am not sure if I have had enough problems for it to be considered a lemon. Should I push for a replacement vehicle? This has been the worst vehicle I have ever owned.
    Smahle:

Sorry to hear about your problems. Lemon laws vary with each state. Generally, a new vehicle is considered a lemon if there is a reoccurrence of the same problem on an ongoing basis despite dealer attempts to fix it. For example, if you ABS was continually malfunctioning despite numerous attempts by a dealer's maintenance department to fix it, you may have a lemon allowing you do demand the manufacturer buy back the vehicle. Again, each state's lemon law varies somewhat. You may want to check the laws of your home state. A useful guide to various lemon laws can be found at http://cartalk.cars.com/Got-A-Car/Lemon/index.html.

Good luck.

• smahlesmahle Member Posts: 14
    I did speak today with some corp. person from GM. At this point they will not give me an extended warranty, due to the fact that they have repaired all the problems of this van. They will look at each problem on a case by case basis after the warranty date. I have looked at my state lemon laws and it won't meet the criteria for being a lemon. I can't imagine another van having this amount of quality problems from top to bottom. Thanks yzf. I hope other Venture owners have better luck with their van.
  • big__daddybig__daddy Member Posts: 30
    I noticed the Canadian flag next to your name so I presume you're Canadian eh? LOL. Anyway are you aware if there's a lemon law in Canada?
  • pfensterpfenster Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2001 WB Venture about a month ago. Got less than the price from this web site, around $26K. The kids love it. We took an hour and a half trip and the whole way my son watched a movie, my daughter listened to a cd and my wife and I listened to the radio. Where has this van been all our life!!! No problems so far, don't expect any. Bought from Dennis Hanks Chevrolet in Ozark, MO. Excellent dealer, very friendly.
    2000 WB Venture
    Grab handle on inside of lift gate broke. Not the mounts, but the "plasto-rubber". Just split.
    Dealer fixed it under warranty in 20 minutes.

There doesn't seem to be much activity on the topic of Ventures. Either not many people buy them, or folks aren't having as many problems with them as with other makes as someone else pointed out.

Sister and her family just bought a new 2001 Venture LS or LT. They had taken a drive in ours and really liked the three-across seating. They have two kids also. They were looking at the Honda but couldn't wait...
    #1. On the Olds Silhouette site see msg 351 re reprogramming of new remotes, which most dealers want $75.

#2. Re sliding door latch recall. Never got any advice from GM (Have 2000 LT)and wondered if it only applied to a certain batch in production. We have not had a problem.

#3. Agree this is not a over active site compared with Ody, MPV etc. As I mentioned previously all these other brands have definitive problem sites. Maybe we are all a little smarter.
  • fear_hopefear_hope Member Posts: 90
    I wish that I felt smarter for buying this GM Venture. There are many of us including myself who have had continuing problems with this van. Either the dealers don't know how to fix them or they are just problems. I have intermittent starting problems, and an airbag that continues to come on despite having the module replaced. Also clunking noise from the driver's side front that sounds like maybe the strut. Of course dealer cannot duplicate or find the reason for the problems. If anyone has found a lasting solution to these issues please post. I am so frustrated with this vehicle. I decided to sell it, but noone wants to buy! HELP!