Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    Yup, I got confused between the Mazda 6 and the Mazdaspeed6.The MSRP on the MazdaSpeed6 was around 27-28k...I think it is a relatively rare combo.
    Try Carmax before going to a dealer.They usually give more for a special edition ,good condition, low mileage car.Not always,,but definitely worth a try.
  • stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    You got it. The Speed6 Sport models were high 20's, while the GT's were low 30's. They only made I think about 5000 for each year, so they're relatively rare. At the time they were heavily discounted, so I got my Sport for about 21K brand new. The depreciation doesn't sound too bad, since I bought it so low.

Of course, "rare" doesn't necessarily equal "valuable".
  • hejduk198hejduk198 Member Posts: 1
    2004 Ford Focus ZX5
    Body Style: 5 door hatch
    Engine: 2.3 liter, 4 cylinder,manual
    Driveline: FWD
    Mileage: 98000
    Color: white/grey interior
    Major Options: alloys, sun roof, Leather, comfort package, aftermarket ipod integrated stereo
    Condition: Very Good
    A few minor wear and tare dings and microscopic paint chips on hood.
    Tires - less then 3k on all weather tires
    Brakes - replaced 5k ago
    Maintenance - regular. Change oil using mobil 1
    Other: No accidents or prior damage.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Figure $3-4,000
    Figure $15-16,000
    $1500-2,000
  • ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    Thanks for the quick reply. I do have another one (for a friend):

2005 S40 Base, Auto, 50k miles. Silver exterior, grey T-tec cloth interior. No options to speak of - pretty basic. It is in Excellent shape - no reconditioning at all needed. All service up to date and new tires recently put on.

Location is Tampa.

Thanks!
    $8-9,000 car.
  • misterjj1misterjj1 Member Posts: 2
    Ok, thank you.
  • sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Member Posts: 269
    I am debating about selling privately/trading in my Infiniti I30

What should I expect?

2000 Infiniti I30
    4 Dr Sedan
    3.0 liter, 6 Cylinder, Auto, FWD
    82000 miles, Original owner
    Silver with gray interior
    Condition: Minor scratches, Clean interior
    Tires: Probably have about 6000 miles of life LEFT
    Brakes: Good condition Pads might be due for change (Changed three years ago)
    Up to date Maintenance, Records available for review

Other: had bumper replaced due to minor rear end incident - about two years ago
    Rides great.
    Miles are good for a 9 yr old car. $4000 on a trade. Couple grand more private party.
    thanks volvomax...I was thinking 6K private sale
    Do you think it can be done or am I living in La La Land

Thanks again
    Sanjay
    If the car shows well, $6k is doable.
  • jbbeveljbbevel Member Posts: 28
    Thanks in advance for any help. Wondering what to expect for this ride...

2008 Mazda 3 Sports Hatchback
    5 spd Manual Trans
    2.3 L 4 Cylinder Engine
    9,616 miles
    Galaxy Grey
    17" alloy wheels A/C etc.
    Good condition
    Thanks Volvomax
  • overworked_guyoverworked_guy Member Posts: 7
    Wife mentioned she was thinking about replacing the Quest. I don't hesitate to ask when and what are we getting.
    Would like to get a trade in value for following please:

2008 Nissan Quest SL
    7000 miles
    Color: Gray exterior, light gray interior cloth
    DVD system, cargo cover, cargo lining are the only options I believe. Standard SL toys.
    Condition:
    No scratches, interior is very clean, no stains. The van is basically new, no surprises. Had 1st oil change about @ 3500 miles, getting ready to get 2nd oil change. Thanks.
    Just a bit curious.Any specific reason you want to trade an almost new van in and lose thousands of dollars?
    I have a used 2004 Nissan Quest.Do you have all the regular problems-door rattle,steering shake etc? The reason I got a used 04 Quest was that I was getting a screaming bargain on it.
    My Guesstimate would be around 17k-18k
    Volvomax will give you the most accurate info.
  • minimicminimic Member Posts: 1
    would love your thoughts on trade-in (or selling to Carmax, etc.) and/or private sale:

near Hartford, CT
    2006 MINI Cooper Convertible
    Automatic
    35,500 miles
    pepper white ext / black interior
    cold weather package (heated seats, etc.)
    no accidents, regular service, no mechanical problems
    has remainder of 4 yr/50,000 mile factory warranty
  • mikgarsmikgars Member Posts: 7
    Central Illinois area
    2007 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring
    FWD 4 cylinder 6 speed auto
    39XXX miles
    technology package(Navi., 6 disk Bose, rear view camera, key less starting)
    pop. equip. package(cargo cover & tray, bumper guard etc.)
    tow package
    Good inside and out, small chips only no dents, dings or scratches.
    >4000 miles on tires; timely reg. maintenance; no accidents.

I appreciate the guidance.
    $14-15,000
    Should get into the $19k range.
    Trade in should be in the $15k range.
    What is with all these 1 and 2 yr old cars???

Miles a bit high on the Mazda, figure @ $14,000. Maybe $15,000
  • mikgarsmikgars Member Posts: 7
    Thanks volvomax.
    We just had to replace the AC compressor at just over $1600. It is the third major repair the car has undergone, the first two under warranty, none were recall or TSB problems. We are concerned the problems will continue and are sick of the indefinite back order time periods every time parts are needed. We are looking to find something with a better reliability record. Our first choice right now is a Subaru Outback with its 2000 cash back and 2.9% financing. Other than the mechanical problems we have really like the CX-7.

The local Subaru dealer offerd 13,000 to start and eventually got up to 16,800 at MSRP, in other words invoice on his car and ~15,000 on the CX-7. So it looks like you and him are on the same page. Thanks for taking your time to reply.
    Thanks deltheking and volvomax for the estimates.

deltheking:
    We only have 7K miles so we have not experienced any of the issues you mentioned nor any other issues. Van has been great thus far. We just miss some of the little things our Odyssey had that we took for granted. Second row windows roll down, 60/40 rear seats split, all the cubby/storage spaces and location, just things you never really appreciated until you lost it.

We too got a screamin' deal on the van. It was during Nissan's "unadvertised" rebate program, dealer sells x amount of vans, trucks, suvs and they'll get $5K for each one they sell, plus the normal rebates it came with.

The Quest has more "toys" than our '06 Odyssey EX and we overlooked the functional usage.

Based on volvomax's estimate, it'll be a $3K hit from the OTD price from a year ago and a pretty decent equity amt going into a new vehicle.
    If it`s just a 3k hit you are taking,my advice would be to get rid of it as soon as you can.And I mean,as soon as you can.As the months go by,it will lose its value badly.
    Trade it in and get either a Sienna or an Odyssey.If u dont mind a used one,Go for the used Odyssey EX-L or Sienna XLE/Limited.They are really luxurious especially the Sienna XLE Limited trim which is like a Lexus.
    A new Odyssey LX right now is 23k +TTL.Around the same for the Sienna.Outright luxurious would be the Sienna XLE Limited.But first trade in the Quest as fast as you can!! ;) :shades:
  • kchuckkchuck Member Posts: 3
    06 Acura TL Automatic, w/ navi
    Miami FL, never left state of FL
    55k miles
    Dark blue ext / tan leather int - non smoker car
    A few dings, some paint peeling on rear bumper
    New tires at 40k, brakes checked at 45k - OK
    Well maintained - we have maint receipts
    Dings and peeling paint don't do you any favors. Miles kinda high.
    $15-16,000 on a trade.
  • hull22hull22 Member Posts: 37
    I'm looking to trade-in my 2002 Lexus ES300 auto, white with 108K miles. It's in good condition with the exception of a small crack in the front windshield(star shaped on lower part right of center) and damage to passenger side mirror(cracked front rim of the housing secondary to pulling of the garage too close to the side). I tried to have the windshield repaired this weekend, but the attempted fix actually resulted in a slight larger crack. Would cost $200+ to replace windshield. I've tenatively scheduled a repair for the passenger side mirror housing, ~$250 if only the housing needs to be replace, over $500 if the mirror needs replacing as well if the newer type housing doesn't fit the old mirror component.
    My primary question is whether or not to fix any of this prior to trade-in or should I leave it if the cost of repair may exceed any increment in trade-in value? Thanks
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I sold a 2002 Legacy and it had a crack in the windshield. I replaced it because it would not pass inspection to be registered in my area, and that would turn away a lot of buyers. The ones who are flexible enough to fix it themselves would look for a steep discount anyway, so I fixed it.
  • sbuhlersbuhler Member Posts: 122
    Looking for an up to date above average auction value on the following:

2007 Nissan Armada SE
    2WD
    30,000 miles (under basic warranty until 1/5/10 or 36000)
    Southeastern Louisiana

Thanks
    @ $20,000
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Co-worker is giving me 1st dibbs on her lease buyout. Here are the details:

2006 Volvo S40 2.4i - base car
    auto
    power windows, locks
    black/gray
    44k on the clock
    will sell it to me for $15k.

She's had a few issues but all covered under warranty. Great condition inside and out...minor scratch on lower rear bumper. Interior pretty nice. South Florida car and she's been the only owner since new. Turn back is in the beginning of October.

What say you on this puppy? I figure I could get maybe $11k on my '06 Civic with 21.7k on the clock. Cars shows well. Thinking the S40 seats will treat my back condition better as the Civic isn't doing it and it really hurts driving the car now.

TIA for your help.

The Sandman :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Local dealer has two of these, one red & one silver. Miles in the mid to high teens with power everything. They're asking $19,999. for each car. What do you think would get one of 'em parked in my garage with a trade of my '06 Civic LX with miles around $21.7k? Civic's in great condition. They're both at a local Volvo store.

TIA Volvo.

The Sandman :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Was offered exactly $19K for my Quest. Didn't pull the trigger on the deal as we were very far off on the new vehicle price. I'm being unrealistic I think and missed out on some rebates that expired.
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    Have you taken to any dealers for trade-in & gotten any reactions? With the high-ish miles, & broken mirror & windshield, I can imagine how some may try to beat you down.

$200 for the windshield sounds sensible. The mirror doesn't sound that bad--I can't believe you'll ever see $500 back if it costs that to get it fixed. A decent used Lexus could bring $2K-ish more (?) if you sell it privately, with the windshield replaced.
    Spoke with the local Volvo guy today & he threw another vehicle into the mix...a silver '06 2.4 with 21.5k on the clock and the T-Tech package. Power seats with a neoprene gray upholstry. And one last question...what would be a good price on a '09 2.4 car with the power seat option? Wife's unhappy with a used car and the limited warranty they come with. Would a CPO car extend the warranty that much?

TIA Volvo. I know it's alot to throw at ya but need all my ducks in a row if I decide to "just do it". Wifey thinks it's a "stupid idea" but I knew that going in...and maybe she's right. My goal is to get a "back friendly" car...period!

The Sandman :confuse: :sick:

S40 would bring $11-12k wholesale. $15k for a retail isn't bad.
    You are close on the Civic.
    Prob @ $18,000 for a low mile S40.
    If the car is at a Volvo store it should come w/ the CPO warranty. That gives you 6 yrs or 100,000 mi from the day the car was new.

There really aren't any truly used 09's yet. The rentals aren't out.
    A dealer loaner 09 S40 would probably sell @ @ $25-26k
    Hi Vmax,I wanted a trade in value for my 04 truck..I dont plan to trade it in if the value is low as I plan to keep it for a long time and it just has 12k miles,,,but right now the deals on new 08 Tundras are real good.

West Texas location
    2004 Toyota Tundra base model, 12k miles
    2 door truck with a single bench seat
    4WD, 4.7L,Auto
    Major options--Auto tranny,nothing else[manual locks and windows] ;)
    Ext :white, Int-brown/oak [cloth seats]
    Tires and brakes -very good condition-only 12k miles
    Very good ext and interior [one small scratch above the rear wheel]
    Clear title,clean carfax.

Thanks.
    Hard to say w/ a base truck. Figure $10,000
    Drove all the S40's yesterday...'06, 2 '08's and a couple of '09's and wasn't impressed with the power seats. The Sonata I test drove after wards had better power seats than the Volvo's actually, very similar to the Camcord twins i rented in early '09. The '09 S40's drove very smoothly i must admit...very seemless performance with ample thrust through the power band. That I enjoyed tremendously. But the extra $ just wasn't worth it to me right now and I'd be just as happy with the '09 Sonata if need be. Did notice interior & exterior issues with the used S40's though, even the '09's with under 5k on the clocks. Paint issues and fabric stains with dents in the metal like door handles...not acceptable for the $ they wanted actually.

Maybe I'd do a S40 in a few years but new, not used. Was very impressed with the Sonata though. Very smooth also up the power band and once I manipulated the power seat, it was like heaven. With the 3k rebate and possibly getting $11k to $12k for my Civic, it might make it worthwhile. But still in a holding pattern for the time being. Thanks for your help...you were pretty right on with the values you gave me. Thanks again...it's always appreciated!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

Thanks a lot Vmax.
    Gbrozen mentioned checking out the S60. It has much better seats than the S40.
    Not sure about the size though and I'm assuming it's a bit pricey...$...compared to the S40. Do prefer the Civic/S40 size car actually. A better fit for me and don't really need a larger car as two of the three kids have their own wheels now and just a matter of time for the third child. But I now know what I like and don't like so there's really no immediate rush. If I fall into something, then by all means I'd pull the trigger. And I'll soon becoming in to a nice chunk of change so that's a consideration also.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Max and Q beat me to it. Try the S60 before you decide. I was looking at Volvos in the fall, and was seriously considering the V50 (same as S40), but of all things, I didn't like the seats! They seemed a bit smaller, and were much harder.

Now the 60 has the traditional Volvo thrones. No idea how "ample" your girth is, but unless you are on the smaller side, I expect they wil lfit better. Pelnty of adjustment (and even better, 3 way memory so you never lose your perfect setting).

The car itself is slightly bigger than a 40, but still compact. Roomier up front, about a wash in the back seat.

Pricing is tough to predict, but a slightly used one can be had fairly cheap. Might be more than the 40, but you get the low pressure turbo, and some more goodies. Also better (per CR) reliability.

I just saw (on another discussion oard) an '09 demo (with the Volvo 5/60+ stuff), MSRP 35K, 5,000 miles, for ~22K. Nice titanium color too.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    vmax knows better, of course, but it seems to me used 60s are not much more, if any more, than used 40s. The 60s just don't hold their value well at all, and they've had much more trunk money, which drives their values down, too.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    I'm a long time (I almost bought a new 240 GL once) Volvo fan, but I've never been impressed with the S40/V50's. The interiors look cheap to me, & I've never thought that about any other Volvo. And I think--volvomax would know--the S60's are more reliable (?), in addition to their other advantages.

As long as you have the time to do all these test drives, couldn't hurt to at least check out an S60......or an Audi A4, or bmw 3.....do as much comparison as possible.....