Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• masonmimasonmi Member Posts: 148
    I have a 2000 Chevy Venture, has anyone had their dash rattle when going over rough road ?
  • redtrain65redtrain65 Member Posts: 24
    Not the dash, but the passenger sliding door is getting worse by the month. It started off only rattling on the freeway, now going down a 35 mph road that they have sealed the cracks in the asphault now makes it rattle...
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    You really need to call Chevrolet customer assistance and they will open a file for you. Explain the problems not only with the van but also the dealerships.

Throughout this site there are many posts that dealers cannot duplicate problems and in some ways the high tech aspects of the van are too complex for the average mechanic. Soon all dealers will have to employ Bsc degreed people to change the oil.
  • melismelis Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking at purchasing a 2001 or 2002 WB Venture. Is the dealer holdback included in the invoice price or is the holdback an additional expense? I'm having a really tough time getting a decent trade in for my van, 1999 Venture LT w/74K miles on it. Yes, I know that's a lot of miles - our son plays hockey which requires us to drive 140 miles approx. 4-6 times a week. I owe approx. $11,000 on it & the dealers that I've spoken to only want to give me $9300 for it which would mean that I will lose $$ on my van. As it sits right now I'll have to take the cash back since I don't want my payments over $500 a month. How much under invoice can I offer the dealer?

Thanks for all your help!!
    Melissa
  • robsmithrobsmith Member Posts: 71
    As you might have read on Edmunds most dealers won't even bargain with their holdback.

But if you can find a 2001 that's probably been on the dealers lot for quite a while they might be willing to go under invoice(but I can't imagine it being more than a few hundred). I doubt you will be able to go under invoice on a 2002.

What you are also going to have to keep in mind is the lower the price they give you for the new van the less they will try to offer you on your trade. They will try to make the money somewhere.

If possible you would probably be better off trying to sell it that way you don't have to play games with the price of the vehicle and the trade in.
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    We recently traded our 1999 Silhouette GLS (original full sticker price of $29,220) on a 2002 Silhouette Premiere AWD. We received $14,500 in trade (with just shy of 26,000 miles). We live in Northern California. The van was just shy of 3 years old, so still just barely under warranty. You probably can get a 2001 at invoice, but not below. Until the end of the month, you can get a 0%, 5 year GMAC loan on 2001 models. The 2002 WB has the DVD instead of the VCP and AWD is available.
    This warning suddenly came on and see from Handbook is emissions related. Has anybody had this and what was the fix. Could it be poor gas or fouled injectors. Seems to idle on the rouhg side.

Thanks
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    I think I read once that there are over 85 different trouble codes that will turn on the light. Number one cause is a loose gas cap. See if your local Chevrolet dealer has Saturday service hours and they can plug a tool into the system to get the code. I do not think gas quality would turn on the light, an injector problem may but again not sure a fouled injector would.
  • fear_hopefear_hope Member Posts: 90
    Does anyone have the entire text on this TSB for a 99 Chevy Venture?
    ~99-04-20-002 DEC 99 Driveline Clunk~ Would really appreciate any assistance!
    I have an unexplained clunk, think it may apply. (By the way, I got this TSB number from AllData under Chevy Venture Truck 1999.)
  • fear_hopefear_hope Member Posts: 90
    Yes, the light can come on due to fouled injectors. Mine did, twice. All six injectors were replaced. No more problems so far...
    Saved the notes form my answer in #947.
    Info-Driveline Clunk #99-04-20-002A
    Driveline Clunk
    2002 and Priop Light Duty Truck Models
    This bulletin in being revised to add model years. please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-20-002 (Section 04--Driveline/Axle)

Some owners of light duty trucks equipped with automatic transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise when shifting between Park and Drive, Park and Reverse, or Drive and Reverse. Similarly, owners of vehicles equipped with automatic or manual transmissions my comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise while driving when the accelerator is quickly depressed ad then released.

Whenever there are two or more gears interacting with one another, there must be a certain amount of clearance between those gears in order for the gears to operate properly. This clearance or freeplay (also known as lash) can translate into a clunk noise whenever the gear is loaded quickly, or whenever the direction of rotation is reversed. The more gears you have in a system, the more freeplay the total system will have.

The clunk noise that owners sometimes hear may be the result of a buildup of freeplay (lash) between the components in the driveline.

For example, the potential for a driveline clunk would be greater in a 4-wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicl than a 2-wheel drive. This is because in addition to the freeplay from the rear axle gears, the universal joints, and the transmission (common on both vehicles), the 4-wheel drive transfer case gears (and their associated clearances) add additionla freeplay to the driveline.

In service, dealers are discouraged from attempting to repair driveline clunk conditions for the following reasons:
    *Components fo driveline clunk are almost never the result of one individual component with excessive lash, but rather the result of the added affect of freeplay (or lash) present in all of the driveline components. because all of the components in the driveline have a certain amount of lash by design, changing driveline components may not result in a satisfactory lash reduction.
    *while some owners may find the clunk noise objectionable, this will not adversely affect durability or performance.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    interesting stuff in the driver fatality data, the Windstar which does much better in crash tests has a higher driver death rate than the Venture! Are they driving around like they think they are invincible or are Ford owners more aggressive?? I would have thought the typical driver of a Windstar/Venture/caravan were comparable in just about every demographic parameter you want to look at!
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Don't forget that that the Venture also has sister vans, the Olds Silhouette and the Pontiac Montana, whereas the Ford Windstar does not. The statistics would be a lot different if we add those to the Venture's.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Thanks for info and stopped by dealer and it will go into tomorrow for a check. Gas cap seemed secure.

Sales guy said if it does not go out after three ignition cycles, then it needs to be looked at. OK to drive around town. If blinking bigger problem which it is not.

Note a 2002 on the lot and Chevy have nixed the windshield radio antenna for an outside one.
  • ibarras2ibarras2 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know why the '02 AWD WB Edition is not avail. yet? I can't find one anywhere (Philly area)! I did find a couple in Mich. by using Chevy.com. Getting different spin from dealers. I do see AWD LT's...but not WB. Any ideas?
  • masonmimasonmi Member Posts: 148
    Has anyone had a squeak that is heard while driving at 5 or 10 mph through a parking lot or sometimes coming into a stop? i had the brake pads checked the dealer says they're fine and he says sometimes the brakes squeak when they get hot after a long drive. has anyone else had this problem or had a squeak that occurred every once in a while?
  • robsmithrobsmith Member Posts: 71
    I've gone through the same search in the Ohio area and had no luck. I've spoken to several dealers a month ago and believe it or not most of them had no idea a AWD GM mini-van was available.

I think that's the biggest reason they are hard to find. In addition you hear they don't sell many AWD mini-vans so I imagine the dealers don't order too many until they see how well they sell.

They all said my best bet was to order one. That is not an option for me because I have to sell my current vehicle first since they haven't come close on a trade in.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Punch in 48911 and you will see that Shaheen Chevy in Lansing, Mi. has a WB AWD on the lot. So they are building them. I think first off AWD vans are hard to find as most people don't need them and most people don't want the WB van to start with because of $$ so put them both together and you have a very rare breed.
  • ibarras2ibarras2 Member Posts: 4
    Thanx both for the info. Robsmith...I found some dealers in my area that were willing to trade with another dealer as far away as 200 miles. Something to consider if you find one in another part of OH. Another issue: I've read the IIHS test results. Does anyone know if changes are planned by GM to correct this? Is it a big deal? If looked at seperately, it looks real bad. But, if you consider all the other safety features I'm buying (AWD, 4 airbags, tc, etc.). Any insight?
    I have heard of nothing to indicate that GM is going to improve the numbers. They say they have made needed changes in the similar Aztek and Rondeuvous that are off the Venture platform. My guess they will not make any changes as this vehicle is not scheduled for a redo until 2004 and the Olds twin will die next year and sales continue to not impress so why pump more money into it. I can't imagine GM thinks a 8 year old vehicle can be competitive especially when Toyota and Honda get into the ballgame and DC continues to keep their minivans competitive. But, Gm does tend to leave products alive way too long, Saturn stuff, the Safari, Astro.... Our Ventures reliablily has been exactly as Consumer Rpts says... much worse than average... Very disappointed in the vehicle...
    Dealer checked out on computer and nothing stored in the on board system. Reset the warning light (Only the dealer can do this) and no charge.

We concluded it may have the gas cap at the last fill up. NJ still has pump jocks to fill it up. The advice that keep your window down and you must hear the rachet sound when the cap is put back.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Styling: Does function trump style?

.. I am starting to think so. I have always liked a nicely styled vehicle but now that I am married with 2 kids I am starting to sway the other way. I wanted to get a nice 2 door Solara or Sebring but my wife kept saying you are older and we have 2 kids now that need to get in the back... so I settled for a 4 door Accord... it gets the job done, definately not a vehicle that will go down in history for style appeal.
  • jints2282jints2282 Member Posts: 33
    My 2001 WB came with one ICS, and it is located directly behind the passenger seat in the second row, next to the power slider door. I tried to move the ICS to a different location so the morning sun doesn't blind my daughter while watching her movie, but the notch/groove on the floor does not allow for any other location. Is this ICS designed only for this spot??
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    I just bought a used 2001 Venture LS ext with 8 pass seating. My first question is does anyone know possitively if the cloth seats are Scotch Guarded by GM? The interior is in excellent shape, and I would like to keep it that way, but I don't want to go through the hassle or expense of doing something that may already be done. I also had a question about filling with gas, but after reading many of the previous posts I have some things to try first. Thanks to all for your review of these items. In regards to #974, it sounds like I have the same set up with one ICS, so I am curious as to the answer. Mainly because I would like to remove the ICS and place the middle seat on the left with a walk through in the middle. I will attempt and let you know if I have any better luck. Thanks.
    As long as the pitch is the same (and I think that it is), you can move the plastic locators to the position where you want the seat to be. The thing to be wary of is seat belt & latch positioning. Not every seat can go in every position if you need to use the seat belts. If you are using the LATCH system attachments, these are fully integrated into each seat and the seat belts are not used.
    Seeing the posts on the above, it looks if it started off with an issue of sun glare whilst watching the overhead sceen.

I would have thought the simplest solution would have been one of those suction cup window shades to block out the sun eventhough the WB has deep tinted glass.

I would be very concerned about relocating the seat points which could invalidate the warranty etc.

The reason the child seats were on the outboard side(s) (On the 2000 year model you could get 2 child seats) is for the ease of putting the child in and out of the seat and not having to stretch to a center seat.
    The sun glare at 7am traveling east comes directly from the front windshield, so the window shade would not work here. Looks like the only seat with an odd latch/lock on the bottom is the ICS, and is limited to that one position. The other modular seats don't have the T-shaped lock/latch, and can be placed anywhere in the van. I tried to pop out the plactic groove, but was afraid to void the warranty.
    On a different note, anyone has an overtemp problem? During normal traveling, at at 40% temp. In city or slow traffic, I have seen it go as high as 60-65%. Red zone starts ar 75%. Is this normal??
  • danmcgurgandanmcgurgan Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a used Venture that did not have the owner's manual. Does anyone know how/where I may obtain an owner's manual?

Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sometimes eBay; otherwise try http://www.autolit.com/. I think there are some other companies who either keep a supply around or print them to order - anyone know?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • agt_cooperagt_cooper Member Posts: 202
    A manual can likely be obtained from a Chevy dealership, albeit at a fairly hefty price, I'm sure!! Another idea might be a junkyard....a wrecked van comes in, I doubt the former owner removed the owners manual after the accident.
    Can order owner's manuals from Helminc.com for the Venture. Looks like it is $20 or $25 plus shipping depending on which year you need. They also handle many other manufacturers besides GM.
    Several months ago there was a discussion on the temp gauge read out. Generally, in normal running situation, temp needle should be on equivalent of betewwn 10 and 11 o'clock (simplest way to explain). When slow moving traffic it will go to about 1 o'clock before the fan kicks in and brings back to the initial reading and so on it will cycle up and then back.

If it is going really close to the red zone, could be a problem.

I had posted that I had fitted a transmission cooler. As you know the fluid is cooled by the radiator. Looking down on the engine the pipes go in and out on the left side of the radiator.

I have found that since fitting the cooler, the engine is running slightly cooler by the gauge.
    Like a beacon in the night, this annoying warning light lit up once more. All set to go into the dealer and it went out on its own after a couple of days and about 6 or 7 ignition cycles.

I took of the gas cap and put it back maing sure plenty of rachet sound. Dealer said this not unusual, so saved me the incovenience of taking it in for a day.
  • mkstfmkstf Member Posts: 12
    has anyone purchased wind deflectors for side windows, i would like some info on what brands are good , bad and where to purchase for my 98 venture thanks mkstf
    This annoying light came back on again, and I have determined that it must be connected with the new fuel sender unit which was recently replaced.

This unit is like a black box mounted underneath next to the gas tank.

We have noticed that the light comes on when the fuel gauge is a specific point, about a 0.5 inch to the left of center +/- 11 gals left in the tank.

We are at 35600 miles, so off to the dealer this week.

Has anybody had a problem that started within the warranty period and continued after the 36K or three years and the did the dealer start billing?
  • autolover3autolover3 Member Posts: 53
    Anyone know anything about the new AWD Versatrak system that is available on the 2002 AWD Ventures? I wondered what the track record was. Thanks.
    so there will not be much of a track record.
    The Versatrak system has been used on the Pontiac Aztek for almost a year now. I do not recall seeing any posts here at Edmunds or at the Yahoo Group about any problems. There are some posts in the Edmunds Oldsmobile Silhouette board from some 2002 AWD owners, who seam very satisfied with the ride.
  • danmcgurgandanmcgurgan Member Posts: 6
    I just recently purchased a used 1998 Venture and the alarm goes off sporadically from time to time while parked in my driveway. The horn blows three times and then stops. I realize that this is rather bazaar behavior, but was wondering if this has occurred to any other Venture owners.

Thanks
    This has turned out to be related to the gas tank and the new fuel sender and the service mngr said it was an evaporative system leak causing the light to come on.

In discussion about other stuff at 36K, he recommended the Dex-Cool being changed. I questioned him on the 5 year stuff in the book and he stated that some of his clients are changing back to the "green" antifreeze.

Dex-Cool will not go 5 years as it builds up a sludge in the radiator, so it needs a flush out.
    (Has it on special this month so not too bad).

Alhough, I have had the transmssion fluid changed prior to this service, he had this on his list as no fluid can take you a 100K.

The real issue comes down to the handbook and so called "Normal Driving Conditions" where it Dex Cool could go for 5 years etc.

Nobody in Chevrolet can describe NDC. We all drive differently and daily routine of stop start and highway.

He also wanted to use a new fuel injector cleaner from 3M in which they have had very good results. This is a $100. Has anybody had it done. I chose not at this time.
    I picked up the 2002 Venture brochure and lo and behold on pages 20/21 shows the interior of an LS 8 seater with the three seats in the second row.

However the middle seat with the built in lap belt is shown on the outboard position behind the passenger and the outboard seat in the center.

In this position the center seat has no lap restraint.

Looks if Chevy PR screwed up.
    I just assumed that every modular seat had their own lap belt. I made the wife go out and check, and only the center middle had it, interesting. Now it seems to make sense. The middle center can be move anywhere because it has its own restraint. The other outboard seats require the seat belts from the overhanging/side belts from inside of the van, so cannot be moved. So your assessment is correct, that a center seat with no lap belt, looks like a PR mistake. Why wouldn't they just give lap belt to every seat so they can be moved anywhere?? Could it be that expensive? It would have been nice if I could trade a standard modular seat for an ICS. Do Chevy think most families have only one kid??

Just got my 2nd recall for the same power slider latch? What could it be this time?

What happens if you forget to reset the oil life meter after an oil change? I think this meter is bogus and is based on miles driven and not oil life.
    Many premium manufacturers have moved to oil life indicators. BMW, I think, was one of the first. Since miles driven and the type of those miles are probably the most accurate predictor of how long an oil will last, doesn't it seem reasonable that such a system could be accurate?

In past posts, it has been stated that some of these monitors base their intervals on fuel flow. So, the interval may actually be set to 238 gallons of fuel. In this example, if the vehicle gets an average of 21 mpg, the oil change interval would be 5000 miles. If the vehicle is driven "harder" and therefore only gets 19 mpg, the mileage interval drops to 4500 miles. Easier miles (e.g., highway only driving) would result in better mpg, and therefore, longer drain intervals.

Seems like a pretty good system to me....
    We have a 2000 Venture. I think its a waste of time and money. I get my oil changed every 3,500 to 4,000 miles based on the sticker that the oil change company puts in my window. Thats all I need, not an idiot light thats difficult to reset. At least our Accord just has a reset button on the dash, not this push the gas pedal so many times in 5 seconds or whatever. My wife got all fustrated over trying to reset it.
    Have the oil change company that sells you that oil reset the light. I may be wrong, usually, but something that tracks oil life should take a deliberate act to reset and not an accidental push of a button. The GM system is based on RPM and Engine Temperature to measure oil life. I remember last spring reading that GM received an environmental award for the system.
  • jkc1jkc1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 Venture, less than 8K miles. Sporatic rumbling from engine (?) that lasts 1-4 minutes. First noticed it occasionally after braking, but now occurs sporatically when I just start up my car, or while I'm driving, or just in park. The noise is like a leaf blower engine and frightening!!!!!!!! Any advice?
    This oil life indicator sounds like another fancy trip meter. Everytime you changed the oil, you are suppose to reset the oil life so it reads 97-98%. If it gets counted down 1% for every 30-40 miles driven, it should display oil change after 3 or 4K miles. But I think this meter should actually measure the viscosity and heat and other important characteristics of motor oil. I would hope if I didn't change my oil, and tried to reset the meter, it should be smart enough not to let me reset. Or if the oil pan is empty, resetting is also not allowed. My point is that this meter should give the driver a real-time oil life, so in case I forget to reset after an oil change, and 2000 miles into the cycle, the meter should read 50% instead of 98%. Another useless gadget designed by Chevy enginners.
    Current production models use a number of factors to calculate oil life. Things like engine time, speed and temp are factored in. Vehicle speed and distance are not considered. The next generation oil life sensor (that should be showing up in cars in the next year or two) actually measures the usable life of the oil, and can adjust for things like adding oil between changes, oil quality, and individual driving conditions. It can also detect moisture in the oil and direct the driver to let the engine warm completely to expell it. Early indicztors are little more than mileage based and only offer a slight enhancement at best to good record keeping.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    My 99 Venture turned 37,000 flawless miles this month. Only been in the shop for new front brake pads. Still a great car.