Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town and Country EX/LX/LXi/Limited

Comments

• lsherlsher Member Posts: 29
    You cannot be sure that what the brochure says is true. My experience (posted here before) is that the '02 LXi (29U) should have a power passenger seat. Not true, at least with cloth upholstery. If the option you want has an ordering code, Chrysler's ordering system will accept or reject it appropriately. But if the option you want is **supposed to** come with a package, you have no guarantees. Do be careful out there!
    -Larry
    Naples, NY
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    PBS' MotorWeek Announces 2002 Drivers' Choice Awards

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • nfl2nfl2 Member Posts: 22
    I am thinking about buying a new 2002T&C Limited from CarMax. What can you tell me about the good things or bad things about this dealer in Los Angeles. I own a 96 T&C that I like, so will try another one. Price with towing package and 4 disc changer sits at 30,835 dollars including 2,500 cash back from Chrysler. Thanks
    This is a follow-up to my message, #954. My dealer, Dorschel, in Honeoye Falls, NY, has now installed a power passenger seat in my '02 LXi AWD (29U). They did this without cost to me, since they had assured me, at the time I ordered the vehicle, that the brochure's description was correct. Kudos to Dorschel. I don't think many dealers would have done it.
    -Larry
    Naples, NY
  • droptop1droptop1 Member Posts: 2
    I have only one real problem with this van (which I really like alot): an annoying squeaking/creaking noise coming from the floor panel near the pillar B on the passenger side. I think it has something to do with the power door track but can't really tell. The creak is very noticeable when any pressure is placed on the floor or when driving. Exact placement is in front of second row passenger seat. Has any fellow T&C owner experienced such a problem?
  • jshelmerjshelmer Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2001 T&C LXi, and we love it. My only complaint is that there are not enough cupholders in the front. As the parents of three young children we usually keep their drinks for them up front and hand them back to them when they need it.

Has anyone bought an aftermarket cupholder/console that would sit between the driver and front passenger? It would have to also fit between the built-in CD carrier and the center console. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • wolveseatsheepwolveseatsheep Member Posts: 41
    just bought a 99 limited with 45,000 miles - love it. warrantydirect offers a 4 year 75k mile extended warranty for $1300 (no deductibles) which seems reasonable to me. Guess my question is - is this a waste of money? I read so much about transmission problems in chryslers but I have a feeling it's not as common as one would think. Anybody know how common are transmission failures really are (such as x minivans out of 10 will have transmission probs before 100k miles) and what's the average cost if you do have such problems? Thanks in advance for any help.
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    for what it's worth, our 2000 town & country lx 3.3 has 37k miles and no problems as did our 98 grand caravan se with 70k miles when we turned it in. our experience with dc minivans has been a good one. from what ive seen, id guestimate that about 2 out of 10 1999-2000 model year dc minivans will have transmission problems before 60k miles.

as for cost, a new 4-speed 41te chrysler transmission would be in the 2k dolar range. if i were you, i would go ahead and get the warranty just to be safe. you can never be too sure with a used car, even if it is in good condition. enjoy your limited-it is a very nice vehicle.
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    The ONLY transmission failure in dozens of DC minivans owned by people we know was in a 1996 Chrysler T&C LXi with the 3.8L V6 at 150,000 miles. The owners bought it as a USED vehicle and since buying it use it to tow a heavy trailer from Nebraska to Utah and back.
    They had the transmission rebuilt and CONTINUE to use it to tow that trailer. Apparently they do NOT have any worry about DC minivan transmissions.
    Based on our experience, transmission failure rate in a DC minivan is about 3 per cent.
    If you listen to the Professional Trolls in Town Hall, the DC minivan transmission failure rate is 100 % after the warranty expires at 3 years 36,000 miles....which 4aodge and I can assure you is bull excrement.
    Based on the DC warranty of 7 years 100,000 miles that has been offered for a few months now, there will be MANY DC minivans that will go over 100,000 miles before the transmissions fail (as long as they are the original owner).
    That's good info - maybe I'll pass on it... although, part of me worries about all the extra "stuff" on this limited and the liklihood of it breaking.... decisions, decisions.

anybody had good/bad experience with warrantydirect? seems like very solid bumper-to-bumper coverage for reasonable price.
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    If you own a Chrysler T&C, Voyager, 300M, etc. or a Caravan, Intrepid, Durango, etc...buy ONLY a genuine DaimlerChrysler Extended Warranty.
    If you own a Honda, get a Honda warranty.
    With manufacturer's warranties, the repairs are paid directly to the dealer by the company.
    All other warranties are just insurance policies where the person PAYS for the repairs and then submits the bill to the warranty company. The warranty company will then reimburse the person IF the warranty company is honest.
    warrantydirect says it pays with a credit card when the repairs are complete to your satisfaction:

http://www.warrantydirect.com/auto_faq.html#9

Here's one of the discussions I found about warranties... is this guy off base?

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/warranty.htm

• sam128sam128 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Have a 1999 T&C AWD VAN with 29K miles, fully
    loaded (think its a limited) on hold to lease
    for 39months/36K miles. Includes extended warranty
    with $100 per incident deductible. When I return it in 3 years it will have 65K miles. Anybody
    have experience with a van with this many miles?
    Are there lots of repair issues? Any leasing
    advise? Leasing is based on price of $18,000
    Thanks for a quick response
  • barlee22barlee22 Member Posts: 1
    I read all the posts at this site before buying my 2000 T&C and I would not recommend that anyone buy one or rely on Chrysler to stand behind their product. I have 27000 miles on mine and have a rebuilt transmission and now Chrysler's solution to an internal leak in the coolant system is to replace the engine with a rebuilt one. This has all happened under warranty and I haven't been offered a replacement vehicle just replacement parts. Beware if you have a problem because service and satisfaction is one thing you won't get from DaimlerChrysler. I have talked to the dealer, the district representative and the home office in Detroit and they think their actions are going above and beyond what they should have to do for their customers. I hope none of you have to suffer with a lemon like this .
    Well folks, I just bought a new T&C Limited., and went for the 1000 dollar extended warrenty covering the car from the end of the 3rd year till the end of the 7th.year. The power tran is covered for free right now. I may keep the car for five years, or I might keep it for the total 7 years. should I tell them to cancel the bumper to bumper part? I am confused. I know that electronic stuff and automatic door stuff can quit on you.
  • ecnirp1ecnirp1 Member Posts: 13
    Is your warranty from Chrysler? I know you said 7 years but is there a mileage limit also?
    Warranty covered from end of 3rd year to end of 7th year. 100,000 miles. It would have followed along with the free 7yr, 100,000 mile warrenty from Chrsler. It was by encore smart something 2000. Anyway, I called the dealer to cancel. Guess I'll take my chances with just the powertrain warrenty.
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    Any ideas what the cause of thumping, not quite a rattle, sound could be coming from the right front? Is prevalent when hitting bumps in road, like compacted snow. On one occasion it almost felt like something down there rattled up against the floorboard. Put van up on ramps and everything appeared good and tight. There aren't any handling issues; just the thump. Many thanks.
    We just took delivery of a new T&C, but is has about a 1 inch scratch of the tailgate. The scratch is down to the primer, and about the width of a pencil mark. The dealer says he will take care of it , but what should I expect for a fix. I don't want just a quick paint brush cover up!! The color is Sterling blue satin glow. A great looking color.
  • twigmantwigman Member Posts: 1
    Don't know about the scratch, but I'm curious as to whether you wound up buying from Carmax in LA (your post #954), and whether you have any recommendations about them, good or bad. Thanks.
  • jaxdaggerjaxdagger Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I bought a used 97 Grand T&C with 77K miles from the original owners. It was such as nice car I felt compelled to get it for my wife. In addition, the owners had great records on maintenance and servicing. However there are two issues I have to address. First, they were smokers and we're not. Are there any good rememdies to reduce or change the odor? Second, they had the transmission replaced at 71K miles. The wife noticed degraded gas milage and delayed shifting to higher gears. The husband did not notice the problem. The dealership chose to replace it because "it was not sending the right information to the on board computer." Thus, the computer was not signaling to shift expeditiously. What do you think?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    About the odor, try tossing some fresh ground coffee on the carpet. Reapply as needed.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    To 971, Didnot buy frome carmax, because the color we chose, was no longer available for Chrysler. Serling blue satin glow. Bought from a local dealer who had to look aroung for it. Carmax sold right a dealer invoice, with only addition of 45 doc fees plus tax and lic. I would have gone down to LA to pick up , but had recent surgery on my back. I have the new T&C Limited in the garage and go out and sit in it each day. Been two weeks, so will drive it around block soon!! Sales people at carmax were real nice to deal with even tho I didn't buy from them. Autobytel told me they would sell for 100 dollars over invoice, but when I went to order the car , they wanted 500 dollars for advertizing. Sounds like false advertizing to me!! The new car is great, I had a 96 T&C Lxi which I liked very much, but now everything is just better!!
  • hookedoncars2hookedoncars2 Member Posts: 10
    I just purchased a T&C Limited this past weekend and I have some questions.

First (no big deal), the product brochure states that adjustable pedals are a standard feature of the T&C Limiteds. My Limited does not have them. Chrysler's web site does not mention them as a standard feature. Any Limited owners out there missing the adjustable pedals?

Second, I did not get any documentation on the 7/100 powertrain warranty. The dealership told me I'd be in the Chrysler system, but that they didn't have any specifc details on the warranty, other than a copy of my application for the warranty. What type of documentation have other new owners received?

Finally, the owner's manual states only one recommended fuel octane - 87. Yet, the product brochure states that mid-grade fuel is recommended in order to get the optimum performance (horsepower/torque). What are other owners' thoughts on fuel type? I'll be using mid-grade, since I want peak performance (acceleration/gas mileage).

Hookedoncars2
    Well, havoing read your message, I went out in the garage to see if my Limited had the option. I don't see any switch that lets me adjust them, but chrysler broushure says they are on the Limited. I thought they would be neat for my wife who is short, so will ask the dealer what happened. I used nothing but 87 octane in my 96 Lxi with 3.8 liter, so don't intend to change with the new car. I got 24 mpg on lots of trips of 3000 miles or more , so don't see a need to change to higher octane. I am going to check the center console, the pedals may be adjustable from there.
    Just got one, with cargo storage, that I don't want and will sell for 150 or best offer. I live in the Sacramento area, if anyone is interested and it is a Navy blue color.
  • phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    was told by my dealer that the adjustable pedals would be "late availability" for 2002. He said probably summer. So our early 2002 limited (Purchased Dec. 01) also does not have adjustable pedals as the brochure suggests. Now if I can just convince my dealer to do an even swap when a Limited comes in with adjustable pedals ;}
  • deacon1984deacon1984 Member Posts: 10
    I own a 2001 T&C LTD. Last fall, after about 7000 miles, the van starting making a whining/buzzing noise between 2000 and 3000 rpm. The noise comes from the engine compartment, on the passenger side of the van. The noise is present about 65% of the time, and is more noticeable when the weather is cold or when the engine is under stress. This does seem to be the infamous 2100 rpm vibration, because it does not go away above 2300 rpm, but instead continues to get louder. I have had the van to the dealer three times for this. First, they replaced a bracket for the a/c. No difference. The second time, the mechanic could not duplicate it. The third time I took the service rep out myself and the noise was there. They replaced the fuel pump. No difference.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated. The van is going back for the fourth attempted fix next week.
  • llcoolbeansllcoolbeans Member Posts: 1
    I have a '96 T&C with 86,000 miles on it. For the past 2 years it has been making a horrible grumbling sound when the steering wheel is turned and when backing up. It usually gets better once the car has warmed up, but not always. The dealership and another private mechanic can't find the problem. It is very disconcerting! We bought this van used 3 yrs ago with 50,000 miles on it and have had numerous problems: replaced cassette player, A/C compressor replaced, constant freon leak from A/C, several sets of brakes, sliding door switch repaired, rear hatch will not open below 30 degrees, wiper motor shot, not to mention some transmission problems. Oh, and the metalic blue paint started to get cloudy and turn white on one side. We just repainted it. And how could I forget new shocks as well! I would like to sell it, but am afraid it will never sell. It looks good, just sounds terrible. I really love the way the car rides and all it features, but I am very hesitant to go down this road before. Are the 2000's any better?
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    To answer your question, yes, the 2000 DC minivans are much better in terms of reliability than were the first-year production 1996 models, such as your Town & Country. Ever year DC has been improving the reliability and quality of their vehicles, especially their minivans. The 2002 models are better than they have ever been before.

We have a 2000 Town & Country LX 3.3 V6 with 40k miles and it still runs like new without any problems.
  • btillbtill Member Posts: 4
    980 I to had a 96 T & C that I sold with 117K miles, I had problems with it as well new Trans at 62K (Chrysler paid for everything except 400$), also new water pump, and problems with A/C. But I liked that Van enough to purchase a new 2001 LXi in December I only have 4k miles but love it so far. You cannot beat the comfort and features of a T & C.
    Anybody know how to turn off the autolocking at 16 mph feature on a 99 T&C? The manual has directions (turn key on/off 4 times, then hit power lock) but this doesn't work.

Interestingly, I bought a keyless remote off ebay for $9 and went to program it using the directions in the manual, and it also didn't work. Fortunately I found instructions (very similar - just different buttons on the remote to push) on the internet that did work. You'd think they'd get it right in the manual. The place where I found the programming instructions for the wireless remote doesn't have instructions for turning off autolock however.
  • mcdawg1mcdawg1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I'm new to the board. I'd like to hear from some of you T&C owners, because we are currently considering purchasing a '99 Town & Country LXi van from CarMax. It has 53K miles on it, but the body and interior are in supreme condition! A mechanic checked it out, and said the main thing he was concerned about was (surprise, surprise) the transmission. When he put it up on the lift, he showed me where it was starting to leak fluid underneath the front pump, and he suspected it would probably need replacing at some point.

My question is: Do you guys think that if I can get a good extended warranty which will cover the transmission, would it be a good family vehicle to own? The price is $16,600, which seems pretty good. But they want a lot for their ext. warranty ($1100 for 18K miles, $1700 for 36K). Have you guys been pleased w/ your T&C's? Have you had any major problems with yours? Would you buy another one?

Thanks for any input. Take care...
  • ody01ody01 Member Posts: 100
    New Voyager have less options, less power than 99 Chrysler LXi but has long factory warranty. Cost lots money to replace transmission.
  • sunfox1sunfox1 Member Posts: 3
    If you saw the factory invoice for your T&C you would see a credit off the base invoice price for the lack of adjustable pedals.

87 octane fuel seems to work perfectly here -- no lack of power or pep.

One stupid question: what is the difference between AUTO LO and AUTO HI on the temp controls? The manual's only mention is "to select either LO or HI" but goes no further to tell you what the actual difference is... and I can't seem to see one!
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    In my T&C Limited, they are used to vary the fan speed to the desired temperature.

If I set my temperate for say 74 degrees and press Auto HI, the system will work fast and blow the fan at full speed to get to 74 degrees in the quickest amount of time.

Usually I opt for Auto LO where, while still getting to my desired set temperature, it will just take a little longer but more quietly given the lower fan setting Auto LO uses.

I think this is a nice feature, because in my 2000 Toyota Avalon, it gives me no choice. I always have to go with just "Auto," which is basically equivalent to my T&C's "Auto HI."

Hope this helps!
  • rajvenrajven Member Posts: 4
    Greetings. I purchased a 97 T&C LXi about 2 months ago. Awesome van - very smooth and comfortable with many features. I have a couple of questions though:

1) The fuel economy on the center console shows 20 mpg for mixed driving (city/highway). However, when I filled the tank up and calculated the gas mileage, it gave a little less than 17 mpg! The refuel light comes on at around 300 miles. Is this normal? I am a good driver who doesn't accelerate or brake hard. The engine is the 3.8l variety.

2) I cannot find anything in the manual about changing the timing belt. The van has 95k miles on it and I am concerned whether I need to change the timing belt and water pump at 100k miles. Does this van have a timing chain by any chance?

Thanks.
  • shuedshued Member Posts: 107
  • kstatealkstateal Member Posts: 4
    I would like to know if anyone has purchased a front end cover for their town & country and if so, what type did you buy? I plan on using it for vacation highway travel only and is looking for a front end cover that has a good fit. I noticed that mopar does not sell one for a 2000 t&c, could someone point me to the right website?

Thanks
  • fcas2004fcas2004 Member Posts: 15
    First visit back to this site in 10 months. Bought a '01 limited last May. Now has 18k. Overall love the car. Here are my observations/experiences.

1) In August bought a Thule luggage rack. Works great on factory roof rack.
    2) In December bought weathertech floor mats for the winter. Excellent quality.
    3) Today had recall part for a/c compressor replaced. recall #B05
    4) Had vibration on braking caused by warped rotors. Resurfaced today for $102. Noticed this problem on two earlier posts. I may try the recommendation of getting a torque wrench and properly torquing the front lugs. Anyone know the proper torque?
    5) Had front suspension noise. Today replaced link sway 17029017. warranty item.
  • thegeneraltsothegeneraltso Member Posts: 25
    this place has the front end cover and hood cover for the '01 model but i would send them an e-mail regarding your '00. they seem to have them at a lower cost than my local dealership.

http://dodgechryslerparts.com/shop/items.php?CA=4&UID=2002041106020363.71.228.3

• music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    Assuming I buy an LXi AWD with the same features as a Limited AWD, are the only differences the chrome wheels and painted roof rack on the Limited? Is there any other substantial difference?
    Thank you for any input. We're about to jump to get the $3K rebate available in NE Ohio. Disregarding the rebate, how much over invoice should I expect to pay?

Jay
  • greg9811greg9811 Member Posts: 1
    My 96 T&C LXi has 137k miles, not all trouble free, but I intend to drive this at least another 137k. Nothing drives as well as these and nothing ever has to be left behind. Has orig motor (3.8) and trans, always used oil. Fuel pump most recent failure. Dealers fix is $850 got it done for $550 at local garage. Problem is I LOVE this van! New ones just dont have the charm as this generation. Paint, seats, etc holding up very well.
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    The differences are:

-Leather/Suede Seats

-Wrap Around Front Bucket Seats

-Chrome Wheels

-Body Color Roof Rack

-Interior Chrome Door Handles

-Memory Driver's Seat, Mirrors, Radio Presets (and soon pedals)

-Automatic Interior Day/Night Mirror and Driver's Side Outside Mirror

-Automatic On/Off Headlights (Auto Off standard on LXi)

-Standard Full Back Bench Seat w/Armrest (Delete if the no charge split bench is specified)

-More Wood In Interior
  • music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    I think I just discovered something. I think the LXi now has deleted the power passenger seat. (It's very hard to decipher what is current on these beasts. We are still at the mercy of our dealers, it seems, unless we are very careful!)
    My dealer says he has pre-price increase AWD's available. Has there in fact, been an increase?

Since it's a +$35K purchase, I want as much info as possible before facing the inquisition, oops, I mean the car salesman!

Jay
  • sweingastsweingast Member Posts: 28
    On the LXI, power passenger seats were/are an option. If you don't have the power seat, you will have a locking storage box under the seat. So you get something either way.

I think LXI is better for kids because of the leather seats. Suede seats a kids fingers should not meet.

Does anyone have long term issues with the suede seats?
    As I have reported here previously, my LXI AWD (29U) with cloth upholstery was delivered without a power passenger seat, despite the brochure and salesman to the contrary. The dealership (Dorschel in Honeoye Falls, NY) stood behind their word however, and on their own nickel, installed a powered seat base for the passenger seat.

My 9000 miles of experience to date with the vehicle has been excellent. The only problems have been an initial slight pull to the right, which the dealership fixed by interchanging the front two tires. And an occasional transient difficulty in extracting the ignition key, which I haven't brought to the dealer's attention yet. It's comfortable, quiet, powerful, has excellent handling, and it all works.

My only "criticism" is that when the vehicle is heavily loaded, it could use a bit more suspension control, perhaps a better grade of shock absorbers.

-Larry
    Naples, NY
  • rajvenrajven Member Posts: 4
    Got it from a dealer for $6900 through autotrader..
  • ed12ed12 Member Posts: 100
    Larry:

I have a new LX with AWD. I have only 2800 miles, but this is by far the best vehicle I have owned. I am actually in awe of the engineering that went into this vehicle. The terrific headlights, the windshield wiper spray pattern, the comfortable seats, the quiet interior and on and on.

You know in the industry the standard for measuring assembly quality is the 1 mm rule, i.e, no panel should be uneven by more than 1 mm or left to right symmetry should be within one millimeter. I measured mine with a caliper and found only one gap that was out by one millimeter, all others were a fraction of a millimeter. Well done indeed.

Continued good luck with yours Larry. This is my first van and at this point I cannot imagine ever getting anything but a van.

Ed
    ed12 -
    You forgot
    - cruise control that shifts *down* to keep downhill speed from rising (Click and Clack didn't think that this feature existed on any vehicle)
    - 3.8L engine that is still quiet at 4000 rpm
    - battery saver that shuts off power drain when a door is accidentally left open
    - audible warning for low gasoline level
    - easy-out seats
    - tight turning circle
    - extra bright instrument-lighting that can actually be seen during the daytime with headlights and sunglasses on (oh, how I've wished for this in other vehicles!)

Wishes:
    - a "close" button for the rear hatch similar to that for the powered side doors
    - CD player, not tape, as radio standard (I changed my radio to one with a CD player)
    - more convenient parking brake release handle
    - better design for the movable center console, and an extra rubber floor plug when the console is out of the vehicle
    - dashboard design that prevents stuff from migrating forward to base of windshield
    - better gas mileage

At 9000 miles, I can truly say that this is one great vehicle.

-Larry
    Naples, NY
This discussion has been closed.