Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town and Country EX/LX/LXi/Limited

Comments

• brophbroph Member Posts: 85
    I own a 1997 with 70K & having intermittent starting problems. It mostly does this when the engine is cold, & dealer cannot duplicate the problem. They had it for a week. The engine turns over like it wants to start but no good. The van was tuned up in Feb. I really love this van & want to keep it, but afraid it will leave me or my wife & kids stranded. Has anyone had this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • chryslervan1chryslervan1 Member Posts: 52
    The concave design of seat cushions and seat backs in connection with foam that is too thick contributes to my discomfort in current DC minivan seats.
    This could be a result of many years driving vehicles with convex shaped seat backs and cushions of the old fashioned bench seats. I preferred the more firm feel of 70's Volkswagen seats to the cushy feel of GM seats of the same era.
    I am trying to fashion a "pillow" of 100% cotton towels with a cotton towel "pillowcase" to fill the concave "bowls" surfaces of the DC seats. I had placed 2 pieces of plywood on the seat cushion and seat back for more firmness and using 1" thick foam pads over the plywood. That solved the lack of lumbar support but was not a satisfactory solution.
    The best solution would be to just replace my driver's seat with a driver's seat from a 1999-2001 Odyssey as the Odyssey driver's seat provides perfect comfort for me. I need to check the measurements of both the DC and Odyssey seats and mounting hardware.
  • minivanman1minivanman1 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know when the 2003 T&C will arrive at the showroom and whether there will be a price increase?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Is the AWD system of the T&C the same as the Jeep Grand Cherokee's Quadra-Drive?
  • claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    Aren't they arriving now? I thought I saw some 2003 Voyager and Caravans on the lot now. If the 2003 T&C isn't out yet, they should be soon.
  • sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    Does the van stall at all when you're driving? 1997 seems too soon but I had a similar experience a while back with my '80 RX7. Same merry-go-round with the dealer back and forth -- turned out to be a loose electrical connection with my fuel pump, sometimes making contact and sometimes open.

Also had an '89 GC LE before my current '99 T&C AWD. It would start hesitating or sometimes hard to start as well, turned out to be the fuel pump also. If I remember correctly, the fuel pump was in the tank itself so the tank had to be taken down to replace the pump. My old van served our family well though before we let it go with 135k and peeling/fading paint on it.

Good luck!!
  • brophbroph Member Posts: 85
    sensei1: It has never stalled when driving, which I had that happen to me doing 65 mph on a highway in 5:00 traffic. Not fun but interesting. I'll check it out. Thanks for the input.
  • ed12ed12 Member Posts: 100
    fedlawman

The AWD in the minivan has nothing to do with the 4 wheel drive system in any Jeep.

In the AWD, 90% of the torque goes to the front wheels in normal driving, basically it is FWD. If the front wheels slip, then torque is transferred to the rear wheels.

I have a new AWD minivan and it works seamlessly. You would not know it is there except that the traction is excellent under slippery conditions.

Ed
  • dleescdleesc Member Posts: 1
    I have recently purchased a 2001 T&C, used. The dealer is unsure of the cause of a low-speed wobble in the front end. It first felt like a tire with a crooked belt, then I thought it might be an engine miss, but the engine idles smoothly. Now the service advisor is talking of a bad axle.
    Does this sound familiar to anyone?
    The van has been modified by IMS for a lowered floor wheelchair ramp, but the front end is not affected much by the modification, and should not be a factor, as far as I know.
    Any ideas would be appreciated in trouble-shooting. I like the van; it seems to be a good vehicle; it is great on the freeway.
    Thanks!
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Thanks for the response Ed, I'm just doing some casual research.

The reason why I suspected they were the same is that "Quadra-Drive", developed by McLaren Traction Systems, is also used by GM under the name "Versatrak", and is employed on the GM minivan triplets, as well as the Pontiac Aztek and Buick Rendezvous. These GM vehicles are all built on FWD minivan platforms.

This "gerodisc" system is equally effective on both FWD and RWD biased platforms, so it seemed logical to me that Chrysler would use this same system on the T&C, since it is already in the family.
  • nfl2nfl2 Member Posts: 22
    I have a new 2002 T&C Limited, and I don't think the seats are a soft and comfortable as my 96 T&C. I just had lower back surgery and my legs bother an my butt! I like a firm seat, but this is to much!! The leather in the 96 was also much softer.
    nleesc: Was the van wobbling when you bought it? How long ago did you buy it before the wobble started? That is what I personally hate about buying used. Some people love it because of all the depreciation you save. I hate it because you never know what you're going to get. Good luck on getting this resolved. At least you should still be under warranty!

nfl2: If the seats are too stiff, why did you buy it? I hear everyone loves the Odyssey seats--what did you think of them? Did you consider a LXi with cloth seats to see if they were any softer?
  • canoe5canoe5 Member Posts: 3
    I have a '01 LXI with 20,000 miles.The front was wobbling when braking. Dealer told me the brake rotors were warped and needed to be ground (of course out of warranty, even though I bought the expensive extended warranty). A friend took their LXI with same mileage to another dealer and they replaced the warped rotors under warranty. Anyone else had this problem? P.S. I like my car alot!
    My friend has a 2002 Dodge Caravan with cloth seats, and he complains about the same thing. I bought a T&C Limited, because it has more class than a Honda Odyssey!
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    I know what you mean about how the new minivan seats aren't as comfortable as the ones on the older 1996 to 2000 year vans. I've only been inside a 2002 T&C Limited for about 15 minutes and I thought the seats were comfortable and very supportive. But not as comfortable as the low-back cloth bucket seats in our 2000 Town & Country LX. If this is a serious problem, I would adivise getting some kind of padding for them or maybe even a seat cover. There is a 1998 Grand Caravan I see around my neighborhood that has very nice covers on both front seats, which I'm sure are now even more comfortable than before.

Adam
    I had a similar experience with my previous minivan ('89 GC LE). I don't remember anymore exactly @ what mileage it started to act up but yes I ended up having to replace the front rotors.

Looking back I probably could have raised a stink and all that. My brake man (Wheelworks) mentioned that it was a common problem with the Chrysler minivans back then. He said the rotor design was not thick enough to handle the heat. We let the van go @ 135k and got another minivan.

With my current '99 T&C Lxi AWD with 39k miles, haven't had the brake pedal "flutter" when braking. Seems like your extended warranty should be bumper to bumper coverage. Also your contention could be poor brake design and not abuse. Good luck!
    I agree that the T&C LTD has more class (or at least a higher price tag) than an Odyssey, but if you don't like driving your T&C, then who cares? If people took more test drives and spent more time finding what works for them the best instead of what will impress more people when picking the kids up from school, then fewer people would make complaints about things they should not even be having problems with. Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    You can tell a Town & Country has more class than a Honda Odyssey just by looking at it. Not to mention sitting in it and being surrounded by luxury. Forget the price tag.
    Asking someone how much they paid for something is a moot point if they are happy with it. Now someone having all the "classy" stuff and still whining about it needs a "tune-up". JMO!

Have a good day everyone.
    Well, I don't have any kids, I am a retired Mechanical Eng. and when people ride with me for for the first time in a T&C limited, they usually say " wow, this is a nice CAR!! When I bought this car, it was about 700 dollars over a Honda Odessey, which at carmax listed for around 25000 and was asking 30,000 dollars, evidently the standard marked up price. I like Hondas most of the time, but it wasn't the as same sitting in the drivers seat of my T&C.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Chrysler has the most loyal minivan buyers through the first half of 2002, according to the latest R.L. Polk & Co. automotive loyalty awards."

Source - my Edmunds' Van Newsletter that arrived in my mailbox this morning :-)

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

I wasn't looking to start a T&C vs Odyssey thing. My point was only that you don't like the seats of your T&C. I mentioned the Odyssey because I've never met anybody who did not like those seats. You said that you bought the T&C because it has more class. You then go on to say that you like the T&C because when people ride in your T&C the first time they comment on it being a nice car. I just said that it appears as though you should have bought a van you enjoy driving instead of which van impresses the people riding in it the most. Then you would not be having these seat problems.

About the survey, I believe it. These new, redesigned vans are really nice. We bought a 2001 Voyager in May 2001 and are planning on upgrading to a LWB model next spring. We aren't even considering other brands right now.
  • barochcbarochc Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a '99 ltd with 35k on it for 16,500, which was leased. Looks great outside, pretty clean inside. Haven't owned a Chrsler before. Seems like a good deal...any opinions? Anything to specifically look out for?
    I would get seat covers for my seats if I found them to be to stuff and firm. You will add alot of padding to the seat by putting a cover on them. I love the seats in my 2000 Town & Country LX because they are very supportive but are still comfortable with just enough padding to make long trips easier on the butt and back. Maybe you should have checked out a 2002 Town & Country LXi with the low-back cloth bucket seats instead of a Limited with the very supportive leather/suede seats.
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    Well I just compared the 2002 sticker with a 2003 sticker and this is what I found....

Even though the MSRP has gone up about $500, in the end with the integrated discount in the Chicago area, the price is almost $1000 cheaper than last year.

Although this comes with a price.

1) CD Player not standard
    2) Full size spare not standard
    3) No mention of load leveling suspension
    4) No mention of wiper deicer
    5) 8-way power passenger seat replaced with 4-way
    6) No more full bench option with armrest
    7) Still no mention of power pedals (said to be new for 2002)

On the plus side

1) $895 Moonroof option
    2) 6-Disc Changer option (was 4-Disc)
    3) $700 something dollar DVD system option

But overall, I'm less than thrilled with the decontenting Chrysler has done with the van...nothing major, but still.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Yes, I would add that these vehicles can be quite utilitarian but may need frequent repairs. Don't take just my word for that, see Edmund's opinion at: http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/longterm/articles/45220/page018.html

on later model. IMO your $16.5 K would be better spent toward a new van. The GC SE can be had in the low twenties, if you can live without quad seats. My experience with DC is that the fewer options the fewer problems.

I agree with your opinions, but most people buy their vehicles based on one factor: price. People like to say they look at this thing or that thing, but what it all boils down to is the fact that those same people will drive 2 cities away to buy a new vehicle to save $200. Then they will talk about how their local dealer just wanted to screw them out of $200. Chrysler is not doing as well as they would like and the simple fact of the matter is that they will have to strip some of the toys out to offer the same price tag. Sounds like the thing to do right now is to buy a 2002 model. The 2003 model does not offer the $3000 cash back like the 2002 models do either. If you're in the market, jump on a 2002!
  • emwilemwil Member Posts: 8
    i am in texas. i want to get a awd tand c limited. at least that is what i think i want.
    there don't seem to be any down here. dealers say they are mostly up north. since we go to wa sometimes and that is very north, i checked out a few dealers up there. of course it is out of the way but here are some of my questions about this...
    does this sound insane?
    if yes, please detail why...
    with the 03s coming out, is it reasonable to expect a little more off to move out the old. i got a quote for a 2002 like i specified for msrp 39995, invoice 37051, their price 37551.
    yes, the 0 interest is a good deal but is that all they are probably willing to give?
    i assume a price given out on the internet as a internet special, is supposed to the bottom and isn on negotiable any further. it just doesn't seem all that 'special'.
    is there a website to help locate a specific model without having to go to individual websites and look?

is it a consensus here that the the 2002 is a better deal since the 03 have cut some of the perks? i read that here...
    i was going to forego the moonroof if it meant i could save thousands but it doesn't look like that is likely given my location.
    what do y'all think?
    thank you,
    em
    A couple of things come to mind. If you buy one in Washington, you may decide to "blow off" the break-in period and set the cruise control at 75 mph going across Nevada. Some people ignore the break-in recommendations and do fine anyway.

You may find a good dealer willing to do a "dealer trade" for you and have the van delivered; either by a driver (same issue with the break-in then) or hauled on a flatbed trailer. It's costs a bit, but it's not outrageous.

You may want to check out the Edmunds PowerShopper and play with the zipcodes.

Steve

Host

would ignoring the recommended break in concept void the warranty?
    em
    Now that's a good question. How would anyone know, unless you told them?

Steve
    Host
  • greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    WA seems like an long ways to go just to pick up an AWD. If it were me I'd shop WA against Denver Chrysler dealers. There are several Chrysler dealers in the Denver-metro area (good competition), inventory should meet or exceed what you'd find in WA (good selection) and AWD is definitely available (I know 'cuz my wife's is AWD). There may be other major metro areas between TX and WA worth looking at as well, I'm just using a convenient example.

If you're patient in my experience the best time of year to buy a car (best deals that is) is right around Christmas. Lots of sales types standing around the lot with nothing to do, wondering if they'll have any $ for xmas. Then there's the manager, who'll have to pay taxes on the inventory come 1/1 -- he'd love to move a few vehicles off the lot. Too much supply + too little demand = potential deal.

Deals change over time and my purchase experience is too old for an apples/apples comparison, but I paid under invoice for a loaded AWD Lxi on the last day of the year. I suggest shopping around. And if it snows on the way home you'll get to check out the AWD!
  • pmechex2367pmechex2367 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2002 T/C with the 3.8L V6. I am happy with the van overall except for poor fuel economy. The best mpg I have been able to get is 14.5 mpg in the city and 22 mpg on the highway. I get approx 200-240 miles off a tank of fuel. I previously owned a 1996 Plymouth Voyager w/3.3L V6 that easily had gotten over 300 miles on a full tank. Is anyone else getting this type of fuel economy?
    What did the window sticker say you would get? It may improve with break-in, but I doubt it. My 2001 Chrysler has the 3.3l and I get only 15-16 mpg around town.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    What is the current mileage on your minivans? I have had 2 a 94 and currently a 96. The mileage will improve after break in as long as you follow the oil weight recommended by the mfgr. Dont let the oil change shops steer you to 20w30.
  • boiloffboiloff Member Posts: 14
    have a 2002 T&C ltd 12,000 miles. just get around 12 mpg city and 22 mpg highway. was able to get 25 mpg highway(chicago to milwaukee and back), but that was when i really kept a very "light foot" on the gas pedal - just wanted to see the maximum mpg i'd get. chicago-orlando roundtrip we averaged 22 mpg.

any explanation on why mileage would increase after break-in? i always thought you got the best mileage on a new engine, and that as the engine "aged", expect mileage to drop.
    My van's mpg kept getting better until it leveled off around 20,000 miles. Actually my overall mpg has crept up a little this last year to an all-time high average, and that's with 70,000 miles. We're talking a tenth of a mile per gallon, but it's up :-)

As to why it goes up after break-in, I could hazard some guesses. Anyone know the real skinny?

Steve
    Host
    I don't know the "scientific" reason, either, I just know it usually goes up with age. There are some cars out there, like a 3-Series BMW for exmple, that not only gets better mileage, but also experieces better performance as the miles accrue. I hear Elantra owners also talk about how their cars perform better after they are "broken in."
  • sparkoloungersparkolounger Member Posts: 17
    Anybody find a way to keep drinks from literally falling out of the rear cup holders? Anytime we have drinks of any size in the rear of the van they fall out when we turn a corner or start or stop quickly. I purchased a wizard cup holder from walmart but the only place it will fit is in the rectangular holder.
  • olizerolizer Member Posts: 38
    When new everything (rings, rocker arms, lifters,etc)is tight. After a reasonable amount of time these parts are "worn in" and rotate with less friction (better mileage). Then comes the downhill....as the vehicle gets older everything becomes worn and loose and is not as precise = lower gas mileage.
    i have found a 2002 awd limited in new mexico. i am still waiting to hear the exact options it has... however, msrp 39,645
    invoice 36,751
    price 33,751
    shipping 500
    is this on par with anything anyone els has seen? and if so, where are you that you have are looking at an awd limited? this one is in las cruces. the other one i found was outside portland,or, however he wants above invoice and can't imagine anyway to get it to texas for me.
    it has been incredibly frustrating looking for one because they really are not anywhere to be found. i have been searching individual dealership websites. neither of these two that i have found have been exactly what i had hoped to find but one of them may have to do.
    so, what do you think about the price? i'm thinking it's pretty good.
    does anyone have these things in a lot near you, clearly i have an open mind about traveling to get it.
    is there a way to search all the five star dealerships at once to find if the one i have in mind even still exists out there? somewhere? anywhere?
    thank you for any and all responses.
    em
    okay, now i know that price had already assumed the 3000.00 rebate. so it no longer looks like a super deal.
    would still appreciate any feed back.
    thank you,
    em
  • pasi100pasi100 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2002 Chrysler minivan w 3.3L engine and 12.000 miles. I did not not have any prblems whatsoever until very recently when the engine has started to make "funny noise" when driving 1) uphill, 2) 1800 rpm.

Seems to me that the noise is coming from the throttle. Sounds like some parts would not be properly fixed ("rattling").

Any thoughts appreciated.
  • ed12ed12 Member Posts: 100
    When I leased a 99 300M, thre was a video tape explaining the features of the vehicle. My 2002 minivan had no tape. Is there supposed to be one?
    Doesn't look like a SUPER deal but I think you're bumping up against the laws of supply & demand. I would assume that '03s are coming soon so the supply of loaded '02s is probably tight and it sounds like those with inventory have no incentive to deal at the moment.
    There was a tape with my wife's T&C...don't think either of us ever watched it. I'm more of an owner's manual person.
  • sweingastsweingast Member Posts: 28
    Well I am at the 30,000 mile service.

The book does not say much about 30,000 miles, but the local 5 Star wants to do a tune up, transmission flush, etc.

What should be done at 30,000 miles?
    Here's what we say you should do:

The Edmunds Maintenance Guide

Steve

Host

• grathgrath Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2001 Limited.When i just touch the brakes lightly at 30 to 50 mph or really at any speed i get an ABS type vibration.Any ideas as to problem?
    just a reminder, i am in texas...
    this has been quite an adventure which i am hoping this research and deciding part will be ending soon.
    the deal is 6429 below msrp on a 2002 limited awd.
    that is taking the rebate instead of 0.0 financing.
    i am going to new mexico to get it, but i am planning on getting a rental car to drive home if i don't just fall in love when i see it or drive it. my debate, at this point, is really just over the colours. is it worth it to settle for differnet colours to save the money or should i order one like i want? so that is what i will have to decide when i get there. white doesn't make me gag or anything.
    so feel free to make any comments thus far.
    the question i have is regarding the power train warranty. what exactly does the powertrain include? is that a fancy way of talking about the transmission or does it even include the transmission? the chrysler website did not elaborate on what was covered, only how great it is to get this warranty coverage...
    i leave friday morning, so any quick responses would be greatly appreciated.
    em
This discussion has been closed.