Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town and Country EX/LX/LXi/Limited

Comments

• steelengsteeleng Member Posts: 71
    grath - It sounds like you have warped rotors. When ABS kicks in there will generally be a noise to accompany the pulsating pedal. Warped rotors are a fairly common problem on many makes and models as manufacturers reduce material in rotors to make them lighter and less expensive. Rotors are usually only covered on warranty for the first 10k-15k miles.

emwil - Manufacturers usually define powertrain as the engine and transmission. This does not include accesories such as the alternator, power steering, etc. and often excludes the CV joints. Warranties can be funny though. I recently had the PCM (computer) go out on one of my cars at 70k miles and it was covered on the extended emissions warranty. Apparently if the PCM goes the emissions system won't work (or anything else for that matter) so it has to be covered on this special warranty that is mostly meant to cover catalytic converters.
  • grathgrath Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the advice on the warped rotors.That sounds exactly right.I'll have that checked.Thanks again
  • winter11winter11 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 T&C LXI with 85,000 miles that has had a "wobble " for over a year.It seems at its worst between 30 and 40 mph.It brakes smooth and rotors have been checked out.I have replaced all 4 tires with no improvement.Dealer checked it out and felt the symptoms but could not figure it out.I really love this car and want to keep it ,but the wobble is starting to drive me crazy-would appreciate any help.I heard a rumor there is a safety bulliten on this, but haven't found it.Thanks.
  • macroriemacrorie Member Posts: 4
    Our engine light recently came on & after taking in to an ASE shop-came back with more problems than it went in with. Has anyone experienced the "service engine soon" light...along with gages not working correctly? If so...was it diagnosable & repairable quickly OR did it take time for the mechanics to find the problem? What was the diagnosis & fix??? Sure could use your help! Know of any good dealer repair shops in the Phoenix/Mesa AZ area ?
  • dmgurkdmgurk Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have any info on when the T&C is due to be redesigned? 04? 05?
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    Most likely for the 2006 model year...Chrysler is usually on 5 year model cycles. There were the:

1991-1995 Minivans
    1996-2000 Minivans
    And presumably the 2001-2005 Minivans

So three probably won't be a new Chrysler minivan till September of 2005.

Although, they probably will get minor cosmetic and interior ubdates for the 2004 model year just so they stay fresh.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Here is a link that may answer some of your future minvan questions

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b041702.htm

• 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    Yet another story that makes it harder for Ody owners to bash past DC quality. There is no doubt in my mind the Odyssey is not up to par with typical Honda quality. Even the 2002 Honda Odyssey with the 5 speed auto is not what it should be in the quality department.
  • claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    It MAY be a little engine knock. My van (also with the 3.3) was making a slight "pinging" or "knocking" when I was under the exact same conditions you mentioned. I don't know what the correct thing to do in this situation is; but, what I did was top off the gas tank (about 7 gallons) with Chevron Ultimate 93 and the ping stopped. If it comes back, maybe I'll look a little deeper.
    Anyone here in the Atlanta area and get invited by Chrysler to Six Flags this Friday night? They said I was going to get a post card in the mail about a week ahead of time that will tell me where to pick up my tickets. I have not received mine yet. Anyone here have their postcard? Thanks.
  • rickj72rickj72 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 TC LXi with about 43,000 miles. No problems (other than a warped rotor) until today. The 4 gauges (Temp,Tach,Speedo,Fuel) on my analog instrument panel are not working, that is they are at the "0" or lowest reading on their respective gauges, with the engine running/driving around. Also, the lower bank of readouts (odometer, etc)just below the main gauges does not display at all. The bulbs that illuminate the 4 main gauges work OK. I've checked all the mini fuses in both the under-hood fuse panel and in the under-dashboard fuse panel, and they are all fine. The only thing I can't determine is if any of those relay boxes(?) surrounding the mini fuses in both of the fuse panels would have anything to do with the instrument panel not working. Any ideas or suggestions out there on what may be the cause and how I can fix it myself? I only have the 7-year/70K-mile drive train warranty, so I hope it's an easy fix.
  • pigfanaticpigfanatic Member Posts: 14
    Yeah, I got the letter in the mail for the invited by Chrysler to Six Flags this Friday night, but I did not call the 1-800 number soon enough so I missed out. I understood the letter to say that you will pick up your tickets at your dealership, might want to give them a ring.
    Thanks for the reply. I got my tickets yesterday. I had to get them at Carmax in Norcross. The way they jump on you as soon as you walk in the door there--I don't know why anyone buys there! I guess that's just me, though. Thanks again.
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    I have a 98 Grand Caravan AWD, and have experienced the low speed wobble. There was mention by the dealler of a problem with the Michelin tires causing this. I had two set replaced in the last 40,000 miles under warranty. Last time went to BF Goodrich B 420 for 2 wheels only. Nice tires much cheaper than the Michelins.

After rotating the tires, I noticed a wobble in my front end again!! Tire store found that one of my aluminum wheels is actually out of round. When rotated the tires, the wobble was eliminated.

Go to a good tire/alignment store, and they should be able to help you find your source of wobble. I need to spend $175.00 to have the wheel repaired.
  • mitchs3mitchs3 Member Posts: 68
    I have a 97 Town/Country with the same problem which has occurred 8, I really mean EIGHT times. Mine started under warranty and has been frequently replaced. I have had 7 replaced "printed circuit boards". One covered under warranty, the second one just past warranty ( they only charged me labor) and 5 others replaced, I think they only charged me labor one more time more. Chrysler has paid for these as they don't even last one year now. In fact mine again blew out Today!!. My dealer, Len Stoler Chrysler in Maryland, ( Owings Mills) tells me he never heard or seen this before. The last time, (the third time in 3 months) they kept my car 3 days to run the wiring to look for short circuits. The now believe the "body computer" is the culprit . I am told Chrysler "will help" with this, what that means I don't know. We are obviously going to have to replace this van but I cannot even sell it as the dash goes out every 4 weeks now. Pass this on to your dealer...please follow up in this board or email me ....mschwartz431@comcast.net
  • rstcrstc Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 Town and Country Limited and am also facing the low speed wobble. Have Goodyears though. Been to the dealership many times and they could not figure out anything. The drive is as if one tire is bad. Had them balanced 3 times no help.
    Also has anybody experienced exhaust drone at 50mph ?
    I test drove another Plymouth Voyager'99 and it had the same problems too.
    Is this something common with all Chrysler products ????
    BTW, the dealer replaced the rear shocks but still no improvement and says that this might be the way these vehicles ride !!!!
  • jdelro7495jdelro7495 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Town and Country LX with 28,000 miles and lately I have noticed poor cooling quality from the A/C. I find myself setting the system on #3 fan speed and recirculation in order to get a decent cooling temperature. This has been accompanied with a recently occuring hissing noise coming from the 2nd (rear)compressor. This hissing noise is sometimes heard from the front end compressor as well. Does anyone know what the possible cause of this noise may be?
  • sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    jdelro, I used have an '89 GC LE that did the same. The AC became intermittent then the hissing started. If I remember correctly when I had it checked, I was told the hissing was the bypass valve relieving pressure from the compressor due to a clogged AC valve. The pressure would build up when AC was turned on with nowhere to go due to the clog. Have it checked by an AC pro unless you have the skill set. You should still be covered by the warranty. Good luck!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A beauty of a minivan

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• johnnyc4johnnyc4 Member Posts: 11
    On my way driving home I was driving 55 MPH in the parkway then suddenly I heard the engine growling. The vehicle still movimg but there was no felling of power then I looked up on the shifter indicator-it shifted/moved from Drive to Neutral. This kind of situation happens to you guys? I have a T&C Ltd/AWD w/5000 miles. I'm just scared because what's happen if it moves from Drive to Reverse? Your inputs will be appreciated. Thanks.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    I think when you shifted the gear from P RN to D you didn't have the shifter set all the way to the D position, it probably in between the N and D slots. And when you hit a bump it moved the shifter to in your case N
    Thank you Sir for responding my query. Maybe it was not set all the way to D position.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Not sure if this is old news or not, but next year's T&C will receive a quite significant design change. Rather than the usual 4th year appearance update, Chrysler is doing some major surgery, reworking the frame rails and rear floor, now making way for a disappearing third row seat. This was thought to be a major design aspect missing by Deiter Zetsche, so the change is now being made.

Here's the full story:

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b092402.htm

• beth33beth33 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a '96 t&c lxi with 66,000kms, (35,000miles), for me and my two kids. The steering wheel 'clicks' when i turn the wheel. There is a clunking in front end when i drive over pavement irregularities, (i'm not talking about potholes). The clunking seems worse when the veh is 'cold' or just starting out on a trip. After driving for 10 mins or so, it is greatly reduced. I'm worried I got taken advantage of on the sale 'cause I am a single mom. Neither condition was disclosed to me. I bought it privately. Help!
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    I would not worry about your T&C based on the two issues you have already mentioned. The clicking steering wheel is a very common "problem" and doesn't mean anything serious. Our 2000 Town & Country clicks when you turn the wheel as well. Regarding the front suspension, I would have a mechanic at Chrysler check it out. Chrysler van suspensions have been known to be a little noisy at times. Good luck.
    The clicking in the steering wheel sounds like its from a part we call the "clock spring" this device lets you have radio/cruise controls on the steering wheel, and still be able to turn the wheel . Not a big problem , just an annoying clicking noise when you turn the wheel. If all the controls work and you can ignore the noise and don't want to spend money fixing it , don't worry about this one.
    Now the front end clunking sounds like the front sway bar links, or tie rods. This I would get checked. It could be minor but don't fool with suspension problems.
    I hope this helps you out.
  • surfquestsurfquest Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help describe difference in the color of leather interiors for the LXi 2000 AWD T&C? I notice the options are camel (which I have now in my 96) but also mist grey and silver fern. I want a dark leather interior this time. Is my only option for darker leather the taupe in the Limited model? Suggestions or comments?
    I read a news from New York Post that Daimler-Chrysler announced a recall of 143,100 minivans to check for fuel leak. It covers both the Dodge and Town & Country - manufactured on Sept. 1, 2001 to March 11, 2002.
  • thegeneraltsothegeneraltso Member Posts: 25
    you are correct, johnnyc4. the recall effects the 2002 model year. as i recall from previous threads in other forums that this problem occurs in model year 2001 and chrysler didn't do any recall for the 2001 model. as i recall the fuel tank ruptured in an off-set crash test done by consumer report back when the new 2001 was introduced. i wonder if there ever was recall for the 2001 model? anyone can shed light on this? thanks
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    The test was done by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety not CR. If you go to the IIHS site and look up the DC tests, you will see the picture of the leaking tank.If you look closely at the enlarged version, you will see that the tank is removed and tipped at what appears to be a 45 degree angle to show the leak area. They stated that the flange that leaked is on the TOP of the tank. Unless the laws of physics change liquid cannot flow uphill! So the tank could only leak under the following conditions: 1. Full tank (including filler neck) and a 40 mile per hour crash. Just pulling out of a gas station or within 20 miles of a fillup. 2. 40 mile per hour crash with van on its side or roof. And remember in the first test it did not leak. The government mandates that on a rollover crash no fuel should leak. Let them make the decision. You should not top off your tank if you are worried until this is resolved
  • regartnobregartnob Member Posts: 4
    I have a 96 T & C. Tuner works intermittently, like 2/3 of them seem to do. Is there an easy fix to this apparently common problem, or is the easiest and most economical fix to buy an aftermarket one?
  • peppe1peppe1 Member Posts: 54
    I have a 99 T&C limited With 123,900 miles and the service engine soon light came on and stays on. Can I check the fault codes with out a DRBII by the blinking of that light and how ?
    Should I replace O2S then The PCV (both OE) and will that erase the code if that is the problem.
    Any suggestions would help.
    Tom
    Auto Zone (and some of their competitors) offer a free check of the codes when the Check Engine Light comes on.

Steve, Host
  • peppe1peppe1 Member Posts: 54
    Will stop in to get them checked.
    Thanks
    Tom
    There's probably a "count the flashes method" too, but it's been 4 years or so since I owned a Voyager. Anyone?

Steve, Host
  • ml42305ml42305 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, the radio failed in my '96 also, I went to the Dodge parts dept. and paid around $100 for
    a rebuilt factory unit.
  • biyonic2biyonic2 Member Posts: 15
    We have a new EX that we love but have a couple of questions for other 2003 EX owners -

Floor mats - does the third row get a mat or just the front and middle rows? We are missing a thrid row mat and the dealer is saying the 2003's didn't come with the third row mat. BS I say - but then again I would not be surprised...

Also, the fact that they only put one lighted led in the driver's window switch is cheap. I wonder if anyone is brave enough to pry the switchplate off to modify the remaining 3 switches. Can it be done without damaging the interior door?
  • duncanteduncante Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2003 T&C Limited and the same is true. According to the Aug 2002 brochure, only Front and "Intermediate" floor mats are provided.
    I purchased the "rear" floor mat for $18.00 at the parts department. Of course I gave the dealer and DC an earful, but of course, it's just a waste of time.
    That is amazing that even your limited came w/o a 3rd row mat. I noticed in our new EX they did some really agravating cost saving measures. Measures that will annoy me as long as I own the vehicle.

ElCheapos:

Missing 3rd row seat mat

Only one of 4 drivers-side switches illuminated with very weak LED

Overhead console computer missing the real-time gas mileage reading

DCX should have left out the beep signal on the rear hatch open/close and saved money that way -

By the way - our roof rack howls even though it is in the factory default position. Must think its Halloween or something - sheez.
  • jwest5jwest5 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 T&C has a problem dealership can't find answer to. Two months ago I was going up the side of a mountain when the van started slowing down, lost power. The engine was running but the van just slowed to a stop. Engine could be reved up but would not move. By the time the tow truck got there, it was running fine. Took it to dealership and they kept it 3 days and couldn't find problem. It has been okay until yesterday, 2 months later. I took it in to have emergency brake fixed and when I was leaving dealership, I started losing power. The engine is running, but just no power. The back brakes were making a terrible smell. Still they can't find a problem. This morning it is running fine they say. computer shows nothing. Anyone have this happen to them?
  • abgrubbsabgrubbs Member Posts: 3
    I noticed a couple of posts mentioning a similar deashboard/electrical problem. My 2001 T&C LX has about 16,000 miles on it...never had a single problem with it since delivered.

Suddenly one day after an hour long drive and a short stop, the check engine light came on and it was hard to start. I tried the normal gas cap check and new tank of gas, and things got worse. After longer than normal cranking, it would finally start but then this sequence of events occurred:

1) engine started
    2) headlights came on (by themselves)
    3) dash goes dead (zero guages, no odometer/gear selector)
    4) 20-30 seconds of running, headlights go off and
    dash comes back on

It's been at the dealer for a week, and they have been replacing control modules, and now a wiring harness. They say now the problem is intermittant but can show up as remote keyless entry not working and/or radio and power windows not working. The "good" news is the check engine light problem is gone....cruel joke.

I'm at a total loss to explain this electrical meltdown, and apparantly so is the dealer. They seem to be grasping at straws, replacing things with no real idea if it will help. At least they are trying to do something.

Anyone else had similar problems, and if so, did they ever get resolved?

--bert
  • esklutesklut Member Posts: 3
    Just replaced a '97 LXi with an '03 Ltd, agree some cheapo cuts are ridiculous. But all the literature touts the pressure monitoring system. Problem is, I can't get it to work. Is it there? I've gotten to the overhead menu and reset the system, but still nothing, not even a command to show it.

Manual is as weak as they come (whaddy expect from Chrysler).

Other gripes: passenger seat has no lumbar, passenger seat is 4-way can't be lowered while driver's side is 8-way (this is absolutely ridiculous and mindless).

Anyway, I need it for utilitarian reasons, nothing else (thank goodness I have other vehicles to drive most days).

Any help with this tire thing appreciated. Sales clowns were useless.

Thanks.
    2003 T&C Limited set backs:

- Windshield wiper deicer gone

- 8-way power passenger seat gone

- Illuminated switches gone

- Standard 3rd row mat gone (come on now)

- Standard full size tire gone (part of tow group)

- Standard load leveling suspension gone (part of tow group)

- Trip computer functions more limited

- Covered front CD storage console gone

- Umbrella holder gone (trivial I guess)

- Gold Chrysler center cap on wheels gone

While none of the above are NEEDED I suppose, the fact was some of the above features have been on the T&C since 1996, and to all of a sudden get rid of them, it irks me. I love my van, but with the direction Chrysler is going to save costs due to poor sales, I'm glad we're getting out now.

Our Acura MDX Touring Navigation should be in February. Let's hope the Acura can be a little more reliable than our past Chryslers in the minor annoyances department. On the downside, I now know how the Honda Odyssey people feel by having to wait 4 months for a car. Granted the Odyssey mania has died down a little, but the Honda Acura MDX mania sure hasn't....1 month wait down, 4 to go.

One last thing, I'm going to definitely miss the power trunk and tri-zone from the van, but the Acura will have automatic wipers, a rear backup camera, and of course voice activated navigation, so you win some you lose some.

I know, I know, this is the Chrysler board and I'm talking about a Honda product, but I'm just excited that after 15 years of Chrysler minivans, we're going to actually be driving a different brand vehicle, so I'm a we bit excited :-)

But don't expect not to ever chime in again every now and again, because I don't see myself ever not keeping on top of Chrysler's latest moves in the minivan arena, whether I own one or not.
  • jmherberjmherber Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2001 Limited with 18,000 miles. The front rotors on this van were resurfaced by the dealership at 9,000 miles(covered by Chrysler) and need to be resurfaced once again. This is her second van(first being a Grand Caravan that had no such problems). Has anyone else experienced a surging when the brakes are applied at highway speeds? The dealership is now saying this is due to normal wear and tear.
    My first experience with Chrysler's *great* brakes was with my '96 T&C LXi. It was at 9,000 miles when they needed to be replaced. So I had them replaced by our Chrysler dealer. Big mistake.

Flash-forward to the van at 19,000 miles and what do you know? They needed to be replaced again. Since brakes aren't warranted parts, I had my local NON-Chrysler mechanic put in NON-Chrysler rotors.

He explained to me warped rotors are common among Chryslers, for there rotors are made of cheap plastic and under heat, they easily warp

Now with my '01 Limited at 12,000 miles, same thing. Did I even think about going to the dealer this time? Nope, I went right back to the mechanic to get some good NON-Mopar rotors. Jeeps are especially bad, too.

Do yourself a favor, and skip out on the Mopar crap, and get yourself some good aftermarket rotors. My brakes have been fine in both vans ever since!
  • jmfrishjmfrish Member Posts: 1
    We're getting rid of our '95 Voyager (150,000 miles) and looking at T&Cs and Grand Caravan AWD. We need the AWD so we are limited in selection. Dealer has a 2000 LXi with 24,000 miles under $19,000. we're looking at it tomorrow. Any suggestions for this model year?
    Thanks
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Looking at buying a 2001 LXi. Does anyone have a window sticker or 2001 manual that will tell what was in the 25U, 29U and 29R option packages?

Thank You
    Dave210 said "rotors are made of cheap plastic and under heat, they easily warp"
    PLASTIC ??? no Chrysler rotor has ever been made of plastic.

Dont kid yourself its not only Chrysler that has a problem with its front brakes, look at any front drive vehicle and I bet they also tend to go through front brakes faster than a RWD vehicle. All the weight is placed on the front brakes , and with a minvan being as heavy as they are look out. I do agree with you that an aftermarket brake is the best way to go after your factory brakes are shot. DC uses very hard brake pads with lots of metal in them , this causes the pads to last longer but wears the rotors out in half the time. Next brake job ask or a softer pad with less metal , it may wear a little faster but it wont destroy the rotors .
    I am amazed that your Limited came with the same shortcomings that our EX did. Wow. Your post reminded me of the windshield wiper de-icer. Our company's 2002 EL even has one - and that is the base model.

It is amazing that the cost of cars goes up to new heights and they don't look at reducing their labor rates instead of cost cutting things that will tick off the end user.

Chrysler - are you listening?
This discussion has been closed.