Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    wanna get rid of my 2012 hyundai elantra gls base model with auto.paid cash for it about 2 month's ago and we need a bigger car for new baby arrival..900 miles on it.dealer offered to purchase it back for $15,000.00..i said you have a nice day.....
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Well done!

Very good price on the M35 and right on the money on the Maxima I'd think.

Quite the upgrade too.. the M3 5 is a real nice car.
    That seems a bit light... but the problem is, new ones are $18400... so the used one is going to sell for a bit less....

Color? Location? Miles?

Car should pull $16K+ to the right dealer... I've seen them close to original MSRP at auction, but here's the kicker.. most of those are selling to exporters.

I wouldn't want to own one myself, and I am a used car manager at a Hyundai dealership, for over $15-15,500... throw in a cert inspection, cert cost.. what can I sell it for? $17,500?

Which is why, at $16,500, I have no interest in the used ones that I can buy.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    edited September 2011
    Seems fair, if you he can get the $16.5k.

I always said - you lose 10% the minute you drive off the lot. That takes you to ... voila, $16.5k.

Try this - ask the dealer if they will give you more if you buy a bigger Hyundai (if you're interested).

You probably want something like a Sante Fe for the stroller/port-a-crib/diaper bag/etc.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,944
    This is just 1 baby, right? The Elantra will be just fine. I don't understand the fascination with upgrading the size of cars because a kid comes along. If you had a coupe, I'd understand, but there is nothing wrong with a sedan.

My wife managed to cart an infant and toddler in a 2-door E30 for a while. I know a woman who waited for kid #2 to arrive before finally upgrading from a Civic coupe. You'd be amazed at what you can get away with when you actually give it a try. Hell, my folks used to take their 3 kids on road trips in a Volvo 240 sedan.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,547
    Hey, we have something in common. Except when I was a kid, it was me and my 2 sisters in the back seat of a 144. No AC, made for some interesting summer vacation road trips.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    54 Ford. May have proper tires by now.... :confuse:
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Except I believe that is a 2WD. Hard to sell those where it snows!
    Even with Hyundai resale values getting better, that's a tough sell especially if there are rebates or low financing on new ones it would seem.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    agreed - When our 1st son was born in 2006, our "big family car" was her 2000 Mazda Protege ES & my car was (and still is) a 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH.

1 kid is sooooooooooooooooooooo easy! We've got 2 (Son #1 is 5 & son #2 is 2 1/2) + 1 (Daughter) setting to arrive in early December.

Eventually we upgraded her Mazda & leased a 2007 BMW X3 for her that was replaced with a 2010 Acura TSX.

The Acura is now MY daily driver (I've relegated my beloved Prelude to 1x a week commute duty) & we bought her a 2011 Pilot.

Is it easier having an SUV? Yes.

Can you do 90 - 95% of your daily duty with a sedan? ABSOLUTELY!

I say keep your Hyundai.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    edited September 2011
    When kid number one came along. We had a two door civic. It was pain to put the car carrier in the back seat. Did it for a couple of months before we went looking for a new car. Was at the table about to close the deal for a CRV when I balked and thought we needed something bigger. Told my wife we should buy a minivan. Wife was mad. She wanted the CRV. Anyway, kid number two came along 13 months after kids one. I looked like a genius. Gotta go big with kid. Especially, if you have a dog or like to travel.

I didn't think that there was a car you could dump after a few months without taking a bath. Year onl used cars are for people that are trying to save $1000 and make your payments a little lower.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Agree you CAN get by fine with a sedan. You could get by with a horse as well. It's a compromise though and those nice big comfy back seats and lots of storage sure make it easier. Back when you didn't pack up the family EVERY weekend it wasn't as big of a deal either. People put 20k miles a year on vehicles fairly commonly these days. I personally wouldn't want to pack a kid/carseat into any of these mid-size or less cars today. But I'm spoiled and prefer to not just "get by".
  • husker_drivehusker_drive Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2011
    Correct, it is FWD. The FWD SLE (base) are actually flying off the dealer lots in this area. They are gone before the dealers even get them in all year.

Not many Terrains in the used car market yet. Apparently other owners like them more than I do.

Guessing FWD will knock the trade in amount 2-3k?
    Ahhh didn't I post a pic of the new tires?

They are on.. still having teething issues with the brakes. Wanna do Fall Englishtown this Sunday?
    Don't know if I can but send details... Busy family weekend...
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Think Im going down on Sunday... at Raceway Park. If it's done I'm driving the Lincoln down... worst case maybe meet up after?
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,666
    "...I say keep your Hyundai..."

I don't think you guys are hearing what the OP is saying. He says his wife is expecting and SHE says THEY need to get rid of the Hyundai. I don't think he has a choice.

You don't understand because you are all such......MEN! :mad:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

All I know is the 2WD SUV's are near impossible to sell in the Seattle area and you guys get a lot more snow and ice than we do.

People must know how to drive in those conditions better than we do so maybe the 2WD won't matter.

We have these things called HILLS around here!
  • husker_drivehusker_drive Member Posts: 5
    I think it'll be a harder sell with a CUV with FWD here too. However it's just a car in SUV sheet metal and most people in Omaha drive FWD cars. Usually we can get through 99% of the winter with FWD and traction control.
    Hopefully I'll get rid of it before winter or I'll just wait till spring. We tend to have short term memory when it starts to warm up.

Just need a bye week on a Saturday when the Huskers aren't playing. Washington played a great game this past weekend. They got some bad calls, called against them. You're QB is awesome, will only get better with experience...
  • mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    Brentwood, I'm currently hi bid on this 2006 Saleen, but I really don't know what the price might be on this rare one.

Maybe you could give me a hi/lo range on this one. Thanks, Dave

2006 Saleen

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,109
    Did you notice that guy's feedback score? 92.9% positive

Now, if he only had 13 feedback scores, then that would just be one unhappy person...

But, he has 209... That's a lot of unhappy people...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Yes, I saw that feedback and read all the non-green ones.

North Carolina car dealers do have an inordinate number

of low feedbacks as they seem to be a bit pushy...lets call

it aggressive sales tactics.

I would never do a trade-in in NC and I don't finance, so

I'm pretty sure I can handle a single number-yes or no-

transaction there. That is as long as I stay in control while

hearing the exhaust note, seeing that rare and beautiful car.

Oh No...my bid just increased $1,000. lol

• andybobandyandybobandy Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2011
    Opinions on 2008 Yukon XL 2WD (live in south) V8 flex fuel, SLT model
    61000 miles
    Fully loaded w/ leather, 20 inch tires(brand new) nav, backup camera, DVD,
    Bucket 2nd&3rd row seats, one touch foldable 2nd row
    Good condition outside with some fender scrapes on one fender and two small dents
    Inside in excellent condition
    Stealth gray metallic with titanium inside

Dealer first offered 16000, then 21,499 as trade in
    Can I get him up more?
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    Off topic, but I went to Omaha in 2010 for the Berkshire Hathaway shareholder's meeting, and I loved the city. Great place you have there!
    That sounds like one great vacation.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,944
    What's going on at Englishtown?

Oh... I see now. Hmmm... wonder if the family will want to go.

Are you showing your car, Bill, or just a spectator?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

This is a challenge...

OK, a stock 06 GT with those miles is probably a $14,500-15k trade in, $16k at the auction and $19k retail car.

So this is a Saleen S281.. that's the small one, IMO it's a weak color.

Hmmm... Retail... $23k methinks?
    Until you have sold cars on eBay it's tough to explain... eBay attracts some real jerks.

That being said, he seems to have upset 2 people, 1 of which was because of a title issue.

I'd ask to see if he has the actual title in hand or if he floorplans, that his floorplan company has it.
    Spectator... still now I don't think I'll be able to make it.
    Umm...

$21,500? That's probably an overallowance.. this is probably a $19k truck, maybe $20k on a push depending on color, but that's ALL the money.

So bear this in mind.....
    I didn't check the details of his feedback...

But if he is at 93% with a 209 score.. that is 15 negative scores, not two.. unless I just don't know how it works..

But, in my experience, dealers don't really auction their cars on eBay, they just advertise there... If they happen to set their reserve too low and actually sell a car for less than they wanted, all they have to do is cancel the auction and claim the car has sold through another channel..

I've "bought" a car on eBay... but, we made the deal over the phone, first...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    edited September 2011
    Only feedback from the last 12 months is used to compute the score. So, you have to look at the entire history and see how long the seller has been selling stuff in order to see what kind of seller they are. I think if they welch on the deal after the auction has ended, they're in danger of getting negative feedback on their record.
    See? Learn something new, every day..

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Oh I bought a bunch of cars on eBay :)

You gotta remember the kind of people that eBay attracts...

I have gotten negative feedback on eBay because a car wouldn't pass inspection... in the description:

"Check Engine light IS ON, we have NOT diagnosed it, please bear this in mind that you will probably have to spend money fixing it to pass state inspection"

Here's another neg...

"CAR HAS BALD TIRES THEY WONT PAY TO FIX THIS BAD BAD BAD!"

Description:

"Tires are barely above the wear bars, plan on replacing them"

I've sold plenty of old, cheap cars "AS-IS" and had people complain about scratches, stone chips, the fact that "their mechanic" said that to be careful they "should consider" a full tune up, etc....

eBay tends to be a bottom feeder magnet, and the guys that truly make money there do it by buying lousy cars with good carfaxes for real cheap. It's become a self-fulfilling prophecy there.
    Keep me posted. If you can make it I'll manage to get up. Otherwise we'll try another weekend.
    Will do... thinking maybe later in October I can get free or... you around on Tuesdays?
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    Did you notice that on March of 2011 it had around 10.5 K miles and now it has around 29.5K miles. That's a lot in 6 months.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

edited September 2011
    So this is a Saleen S281.. $23k methinks?

SWAG? (Sophisticated Wild [non-permissible content removed] Guess) I like that lol.

OK, I'm with you on the price. Thanks, Bill.

now it has around 29.5K miles

I saw that. Maybe he had a lot of errands to run.

The only thing that bothers me is the corrected title.

Maybe it's a small thing to dealers, but to me...huge.

Well, after next Friday (9.30) I'm around all the time. Due to my upcoming transplant I'm having to retire - earlier than I expected or am ready for but it does mean that any old day suddenly works.
    Cool.

Im off on Tuesdays... got the month end coming but after that we gotta catch up man.
    October 1 is definitely past the end of the month. After this Tuesday Tuesdays go from terrible to great.

And of course I need to see an auction. Hey! MAybe you can auction my van....
    End of the month starts about now.. and runs through the first weekend in October ;)
    edited September 2011
    Bill, I have a dilemma here about the 2006 Saleen on ebay.

I had every intention of buying that car to the point of

re-arranging the garage to accomodate it. Then I started

digging and found out he wants Barrett-Jackson prices for

all of his cars. Seems he wants $28,998 for the blue Saleen.

I'm willing to throw all the money at that car (you suggested $23k).

He's so far off it's ridiculous. What can I do to make him sell for real?

His ad> 2006 Saleen

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hopefully the seller reads the paper or watches the news. Sell before everyone's portfolio is worth nothing and noone can afford it. ;)
    Well that was a bit od a wild guess, did ya do an online search to see what these are bringing?

Completed eBay auctions.. Autotrader, etc....

Also, on a car like this, it might be something of a seller's market.
    He has 4. One was a 2006 Saleen stick that went to $21,699 on ebay and

expired this morning. He was asking $29,998 for that one. I think Your

price estimate is correct!

I'm not so sure he's a real seller, but more of an ebay braggart.

Like "I have 4 Saleens and you don't have any" Nya Nya.

• henry_nhenry_n Member Posts: 33
    2006 Cadillac DTS
    Houston, TX
    Red exterior
    91,000 miles
    Pretty much a base model, clean carfax, one owner, no wrecks. It was recently traded in at a local Cadillac dealer, who sent it to auction, where it was purchased by a small used car lot. The owner of the lot tells me he paid $11.5k at auction, which sounds way too high.

He offered it to me for $12K cash, and I might have bitten on it, but the front end had a shimmy and it needs brake work. Made me wonder whether the original owner had taken care of oil changes, etc.

Can you tell me approximately what this car would be going for at auction?

Thanks in advance.
    The fact a Cadillac store would wholesale a Cadillac scares me a bit.

There is a good chance they ran it through the shop and found enough problems that they didn't want to deal with it.

Now, if our Honda store had taken it in, we would have called the Cadillac store in town and asked them if they wanted it. If not, it would have gone to the auction. We couldn't do squat with Cadillacs even when we thought we had an exceptional one.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The fact a Cadillac store would wholesale a Cadillac scares me a bit.

Really Craig? It's a 6 YO miled up RED DTS. I don't think there's a giant market for that.