Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town and Country EX/LX/LXi/Limited

Comments

• abgrubbsabgrubbs Member Posts: 3
    After 2 weeks, it appears to be repaired. The list of electrical problems (some developed after going into the shop)and fix in ():

1) Check Engine Light (Transmission Control Module replaced)

2) hard starting (TCM replaced)

3) After starting, dahsboard out, headlights flash, dashboard comes back on in 20 seconds (ignition switch replaced, wasn't returning to 'on' position fully after start)

4) When engine running, no power windows, radio, or AC (wiring harness replacement)

5) sliding and rear hatch power doors intermittantly do not operate (wiring harness replacement)

Scary, that this thing could run out to 16K miles with no problems and then suddenly develop all this. Only time will tell if it continues. I'm mentally preparing myself to dump this vehicle at about 28K miles if any other repairs of this nature are required. That would be a shame, since it's the nicest looking and driving mini-van we've ever owned.

--Bert
  • ed12ed12 Member Posts: 100
    When I hit some bumps, I hear a rattle from the rear. I am 90% sure it is coming from the power lift gate mechanism area. When I stick my fingers into the mechanism, there is quite a bit of play in the gears. Is that normal? Also, when I press on the gears, I do not hear the rattle.
  • augiedogaugiedog Member Posts: 1
    greetings! i own a '98 T/C LX w/ 72000 mi. the a/c system several months ago started hissing when i shut it down. eventually, the hissing got worse and i lost all my cool air. my mechanic recharged it (2 lbs refidg.) and told me that the problem is the evaporater and that it'll rum me 1500.00 to repair. i'm contemplating selling it and buying a '03 odessey. can anybody give me a reason not to do this?
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Yes, get on DC's 800 customer assistance number right away and ask for a good will adjustment on the evap coil. Dunno maybe they will pay labor, too.
  • elf6elf6 Member Posts: 10
    Hi everyone. New to this forum but have been reading it for some time. Recently bought an 02 T&C LXi FWD that is Almond Pearl Metallic Clear Coat with Taupe interior that contains the optional 29U package, Electronics Convenience Group, Traction Control, Side Air Bags, Heated Leather Seats, 3.8L Engine, Power Liftgate, Roof Rack and 4 Disc CD Changer. MSRP was $34,915 with an invoice price per Edmunds of $33,127. Price I paid was $27,748 which is $5379 under invoice and included dealer added under coating. Paid $800 for the 7 yr 70,000 mi extended warranty that I wanted. Best car buying experience I have ever had with absolutely no pressure or silly games. The van is a left over 02 model but only had 6 miles so was not a demo. Since the changes to the 03 model were insignificant we went ahead and bought the car for about $3000 less than an equivalent 03 model. I have looked over every square inch of the car inside and out very critically and have found the fit and finish to be perfect. Congratulations to Chrysler for designing such fine vehicles and to the Windsor, Ontario assembly plant for their fine assembly work. So far everything works perfectly. I do have a couple of questions:

1. Avg mileage during the first 704 miles is a calculated 19.09 mpg on combined highway/city driving which I am very happy with. Can anyone tell me how much the mileage will improve after the engine is broken in?

2. The leather seats felt dry I assume because the car had been setting on the dealers lot for 5 months during the summer with the windows closed.. I used some MOPAR leather/vinyl cleaner conditioner and the feel impoved a little bit. This is the first car I have owned with leather seats and I would like to know if they are supposed to feel dry or is there something I can put on the seats to make them feel soft and smooth?

3. I have noticed that the AC symbol comes on and cold air blows out the upper vents when the car is cold and ATC is set to AUTO LO. After the car warms up the AC symbol goes out. Is this normal and does it mean the AC compressor is running when the car is started?

4. In looking at 03 T&C's on the lot I noticed the EPA highway mileage on the window stickers increased from 24 to 25 mpg. Does anyone know what changes have been made?

This van drives very smooth and quiet and I love the ATC, Leather Seats, Steering Wheel Audio Controls, Power Doors and Power Tailgate. Never had a center Console before but starting to like it and find it very useful. Van has the tire pressure monitoring display which only tells if the tire pressure is below 28 lbs or above 48 lbs and how many tires are out of that range. The Chrysler 300M which we also test drove displays the actual pressure on each tire which I think is a better system but probably cost a lot more. I have previously owned a 95 Grand Voyager LE with 87,000 miles and a 98 T&C LX with 50,000 miles which I still have. No problems have been experienced with the engine or transmission on either car but I do have them serviced regularly at a Chrysler dealer to insure the proper transmission fluid is used. Thanks for any answers you can give me.
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    We almost got a van like yours about three months ago but decided to keep our current 2000 T&C LX since we still owe so much on the lease. It had all the equipment your new van has and it was very nice. I especially liked the power doors and liftgate. It seems to me that the quality has improved greatly in just a few years when I compare our 2000 to the new ones. Our van is going on strong at 52k miles without any problems and we like it very much. Have fun with yours!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Congrats on the new van, Elf6. I've never had leather but lots of people swear by Lexol. Auto parts stores or tack/saddle shops should carry it.

Many people find their mpg increases bit by bit for the first 10,000 miles or more. Sounds like you are off to a good start there too.

Steve, Host
  • leebealeebea Member Posts: 25
    Elf6 - I agree with you on the quality of the Chrysler product these days. I just picked up my '03 T&C Limited on Wednesday and everything is perfect, including the dealer - the best I have ever dealt with. This is my first time in this section of the Town Hall. I have been over in the Sebring Convertible section. Last year I bought a 2001 Limited convertible and the comments are the same. For both vehicles, the dealer has gone over and explained almost every knob, switch and feature before I left the facility. I've had the convertible for 1 1/2 years now and love it and am expecting the same with the T&C. Wishing you the best of luck with your new ride.
    Lee B.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Bought a 2001 LXi 3 weeks ago. 24,000 miles. Everything works, no rattles. Just changed the cabin air filter. Have to get a $ saving alternative for the Chrysler part ($26.84). Will look at Home Depot/Lowes for filter material I can cut out and install.

Also installed an interior auto-dimming mirror (ala the Limited model). All the wiring was there in the headliner by the overhead console. Just plugged it in and it works.

Want to install the auto headlight switch now (ala the Limited model). Waiting to get my Service manual first to check on the wiring.
  • griffman12griffman12 Member Posts: 18
    Re: 1037 & 1095. I broke 24.5 once but normally see 23.5 on the highway.
  • griffman12griffman12 Member Posts: 18
    3.8, T&C,Lxi 2002 8000 miles
    Re: 1037 & 1095. I broke 24.5 once but normally see 23.5 on the highway.(over 65 mph )
    If your are checking your gas milage try using a name brand such as Mobil or Sunco. These other brands have givin me poor molage.
    If you cant see 23 to 24 onthe highway, pull the spark plugs and check that the gap is at spec.

Had my Volvo S-80,T-6 in for 30,000mile service and $459 latter they had cut my gas milage from 29.5 to less than 26. I pulled the plugs and they were set 6 to 10 thousands to closed. After
    adjusting them and reinstalling them walla 29.5

Re 1079 sticky steering wheel. Check your wife if she is like mine she uses hand lotion. The steering wheel in her car is allways tacky.

griffman
  • leatherseats1leatherseats1 Member Posts: 1
    The LXi currently has a $1250 Leather Seat Credit which is in the Chrysler ad, and on the sticker as a deduction to MSRP. The question I have is, is this also a deduction to the invoice so that the dealer is getting a rebate from Chrysler, or is this just some sale gimmick and the invoice is unchanged? It matters to me since I'm negotiating with the dealer using his invoice price as the starting point, not the MSRP. Thanks.
  • johnnyc4johnnyc4 Member Posts: 11
    Today I test drive my 2002 T&C AWD in snow here in NY oh boy it's good! I saw some luxury cars tried to move out from parking and have difficulties in doing it. My T&C Ltd-AWD has no problem in 6 inches of mixed snow and ice - no skidding nor slipping of tires. Before, I was not fully like this mini van now I love it! It amazed me.....
    johnnyc4

ditto. My 2002 AWD T&C performed brillantly. NO problem going or stopping.I got a good laugh watching the new BMWs with stability control spinning their wheels helplessly.

Ed
    Ever since I bought my 02 T&C Lxi about 5 weeks ago I have been very proud of not being able to find a single flaw in the fit and finish and everything working perfectly. In fact I have been bragging about it to all my friends. On Friday my wife took the van to a local shopping center. Trying to be very careful she parked away from the crowd with dividers on the driver's side and in the front and a lot of space on the passengers side. Guess what? A woman in a Ford F150 pickup backed into her from across the aisle. Her trailer hitch made a big indent in the tail gate. At least she stopped and left her phone number so her insurance will pay. I drove my 98 T&C for 4 years and didn't pay much attention where it was parked and didn't have any damage except for 1 or 2 small door dings. Oh well so much for my flawless van.
    Doesn't that kill you? I park my '01 Sebring convertible so far away from other cars, I need a taxi to get to the store - but no dings yet. (The dealer tells me it looks like I just drove it out of the showroom - even the wheel wells aren't dirty yet). I just picked up my '03 T&C Limited the day before Thanksgiving. The other day a woman was parked next to me and had her door resting against mine. The way I glared at her, her skin almost melted. There were no scratches though; I checked carefully.
    Hope you get a perfect repair job and no further incidents.
    Lee B.
    I have just ordered a Braun Companion Seat base to allow the front passenger seat to turn 90 degrees, extend out 20 inches and tilt forward 6 inches. This will allow transfer of my wife from her wheelchair. Does anyone have any experience with this product?
    Lee B.
    My first minivan was a 95 Voyager LE. At 48,000 miles I had the brakes relined at CarX not because they needed it but because I was selling the van to my son and wanted to make sure my grandsons were riding in a van where the brakes were like new. I bought the van back last year when my son bought an 01 T&C EX. Recently I sold it to my brother and it currently has 91,000 miles and no problems.

My second minivan is a 98 T&C LX which I still have. This van currently has 51,000 miles with no brake problems. When it was new there was a slight vibration in the steering wheel when braking from 70 mph on a downhill interstate exit ramp but that appears to be gone now. My driving has been about 50% highway 50 % city. Maybe I have been lucky but I have not experienced the brake problems others have reported. My new 02 T&C LXI brakes are the best I have ever had on any car I have ever driven. They are very smooth and quite and stop on a dime.
  • pigfanaticpigfanatic Member Posts: 14
    Our 2001 T&C has almost 20,000 miles. I had to take it in one time because the lift gate would not open with the remote or inside button, it was a crimped wire.

Now my lift gate only works part of the time. It will make the beeping sound, start to open (maybe ¼"), then close. ~~ Also while driving all the dash lights (seatbelt, check eng., etc.)will come on for about 20 seconds, then go off again.

I'm due for an oil change in about 1,500 miles so will have it checked out then... but wanted to know if anyone else has had simular problems.
  • ingramwd2ingramwd2 Member Posts: 15
    Our 2001 T&C LTD has the exact same symptoms as well. Took it to the dealer for a checkup and they special ordered two parts - the module and the latch. Taking it back again next week to get it fixed as the parts have arrived.
    No problem with mine. Service Manual has 16 pages with description, diagnosis and testing. There are many components (Liftgate control module (microprocessor), latch, pinch sensors, actuators, motors, chime/thermistor and other switches).

Needs to be scanned with a diagnostic scan tool - DRB III to identify the problem component.

A good reason for the original or extended warranty for sure. The power sliding doors are even more complex!
    I just picked up my T&C on the day before Thanksgiving. I may have the same problem. I couldn't open the liftgate from the overhead console a couple of times; the side doors were ok. I tried it the other day and it closed from the console, and last nite it opened and closed from the console. I thought it was me not knowing how the system works. Now I will check it out more thoroughly to see if I have a problem. I have to do it outside because if I do it in the garage it will hit my overhead garage door. The problem is that it has been raining or snowing almost every day since Thanksgiving...This is New England, not Seattle.
    Lee B.
  • rkowrkow Member Posts: 1
    SHOPPING FOR THE NEW 2003 MODEL. WE HAVE A '93 T&W BUT WANT TO TRADE. DISSAPPOINTED IN THE REAR SEAT CONFIGURATION. SEEMS THAT THEY LOST LOTS OF STORAGE SPACE BY CHANGING TO A TWO SEATER INSTEAD OF A BENCH SEAT THAT CAN MOVE FORWARD FOR MORE ROOM LIKE WE HAVE ON THE OLD MODEL AND CAN FOLD DOWN FLAT WITHOUT THE PLASTIC GADGETS STICKING UP. PLUS THERE WAS SPACE UNDER THE BENCH THAT THESE NEW ONES DON'T HAVE. MUST BE CHEAPER TO MAKE THIS WAY OR SOMEONE WASN'T THINKING. VERY PRICEY NOW TOO.
    On my 2002 T&C AWD, from 70 to 75 mph I hear a faint thrumming sound, similar to leaving the back windows of a sedan open. I feel no vibration when I lay my hand on the interior of the van. Could this be from the roof rack?

Thanx
  • doobiedoobie Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a NEW 2002 T&C LXI. I notices a distinct fan/humming sound coming from the right rear climate control section. Blower motor area. Is this a normal sound? Is the fan in the rear of the vehicle always audible?

Thanks
  • johnnyc4johnnyc4 Member Posts: 11
    I think the audible rear fan noise is normal. I have 2002 Ltd and I noticed it right away. I have some previous vehicle that has a rear fan option that make the same noise - at least you know where is the source of the noise. Happy driving.
    It should be easy to determine if the noise from the rear is from the fan; turn the REAR CONTROL to OFF. The noise should stop if the rear zone is off. I leave mine in AUTO and the fan runs most of the time.
    Lee B.
  • doobiedoobie Member Posts: 5
    Any details about how the tire pressure monitor system works would be appreciated. The manual is useless. The only option I can find is to reset the system. Is one able to monitor the tire pressure or does it only tell you when you are low? etc.

I am sure the information from the board is more accurate than the dealer.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    each rim has a pressure sensor in it. The sensors send a signal to the overhead console and the console displays your tire pressure . Hows that?
    On a previous post I reported that someone backed into my flawless T&C LXI putting a big ding in the tailgate. Well after 4 days in the dealer body shop all is well again. Cost her insurance $1036 to fix but looks like new once again. While the van was in the shop the insurance company gave me a rental car from Enterprise which turned out to be a Ford Focus. Fairly nice driving car but after driving it 155 miles it was really great to get back into my flawless van. You don't really remember what its like to drive a small car until you go back after driving the T&C LXI. Hope I don't have to do that again anytime soon.
    Elf6, Rkow, and others, y'all aren't the only repeat T&C customers out there:

Polk Automotive Loyalty Awards

Steve, Host

• jbpehrjbpehr Member Posts: 4
    We took delivery of a new 02 T&C Ltd just after Christmas (29U package) for just under $28K. What a van and the deal was super!

We have noticed the right-side sliding door is not closing completely sometimes (1/4 inch bump out at the rear) which results in the door not operating via the remote or control panel. We are trying to isolate the problem this week before we take it in to the dealer to make sure we are not doing something wrong. Any ideas out there? Anyone experience something similar with the sliding doors?

Also, are there any other sites out there for T&C owners? This one is great but I crave info for my new T&C. Thanks, Jay
    Try a search engine like google.com, teoma.com or altavista.com.

I'm guessing your slider is out of alignment somewhere - probably the latch. Should be an easy fix (touch wood, LOL).

Steve, Host
  • sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    My belt tensioner seized up and in the process took out my belt entirely. Fortunately the belt snapping didn't take out anything else. I'm @ about 42k mi and I thought it was a bit premature. Asked the dealer about it relative to warranty but couldn't offer me a good answer. (SOL) Anyway the van's back on the road again. Just curious how prevalent this is out there. Didn't have this problem with my '89 GC LE before I let it go with 135k.

So heads up with belt noises. That's how mine started and that's all I thought it was.
    My 98 T&C LX with 3.8L engine starting making noise at 51K miles. During a routine oil change the dealer service technician found the belt tensioner pulley was frozen. They replaced the tensioner pulley and belt as well since it had been dragging over the frozen pulley and was somewhat worn. I asked the service advisor if that was common and he said "I wish I could say no". Apparently the pulley is constantly moving back and forth as the engine accelerates and decelerates which wears out the bearings. The 95 Voyager LE with 3.3L engine that I previously owned has 91K miles on it and the tensioner pulley is still good. Replaced the belt once because it was starting to crack. Maybe the 3.8L engine is harder on the pulley.
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    Yes, having the belt tensioner seize up is a very common problem across the Chrysler minivan line. Had one replaced on a '94 Grand Caravan LE with 3.3L at 50k, and another on our current '96 T&C LXI with 3.8L. Catch it early enough and it won't also cause the water pump to leak (like what happened with our T&C).
  • sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    Thanks for the feedback guys. What Ed said kinda made sense. Didn't think about the 3.8 engine as a factor. But now Ken is saying it also happens on 3.3's. Like I said this is my 2nd minivan ('89 GC LE) and 1st time it happened. So I guess that's one of the weak links.
  • madnanmadnan Member Posts: 4
    The dealer did not have the T&C that i wanted. So i had to place an order. Now how long would it take Chrysler to build and ship the vehicle. For the record i had ordered a T&C LXI with a leather bucket seats for around 29K.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    it all depends on how many orders are in front of your van ,a rough guess who be 4-6 weeks. The T&C is built in Windsor , Ontario , Canada , so it also depends on how far it has to be shipped to get to you .
  • bscrivenerbscrivener Member Posts: 9
    All,

I think I have finally decided on which minivan is best for my family. I want to get the following:

Make/Model: 2001 T&C Limited
    Miles : less than 30K
    Color : Gold
    Options : Split rear bench, TV/DVD system

Now all I need to do is find one. I had an idea and thus am posting here for advise. Does anyone know how to get information on leases that will be returned this year? I would love to talk to someone that is planning on returning the van I am interested in and buy it from them at a fair price (more than what the dealer says the residual is but less than what it will be marked up to in the retail market). I would be willing to pay between the trade-in and private party price as described by Edmunds TMV. I hope this turns into an easy win/win for both parties.

If anyone has any leads for me, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Bo
    Buying Your Leased Car

and one most people don't know about (pick one up, drive it see if any problems show up, and then buy it?):

Lease Trading

Since lease returns often wind up at auction, you may be able to get a broker to pick one up for you.

Also try the Lease Questions - Ask Here discussion. Good luck!

Steve, Host
  • fish123fish123 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2002 Town and Country Limited back in October and I am concerned about the amount of brake dust that is accumulating on the front wheels. I can clean the wheels and two days later they are completely covered again. Now I expect some brake dust but this is excessive. I thought that it might be because the brakes were new, but I have 5000 miles on them now and it has not slowed down. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
  • larry51klarry51k Member Posts: 35
    those of you with a new TC, did you look at the dodge grand caravan? what are the differences other than looks? both offer awd which i want. thanks.
  • krebs3krebs3 Member Posts: 1
    We are buying a 2002 T % C LXi awd and wonder if there is extended warranty available and if anyone thinks it's worthwhile? Thanks for yuor thoughts.
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    The 16 inch chrome wheels on our 2000 T&C LX 3.3 get pretty dirty after only a few days of hard driving. You especially notice the dirt on chrome wheels but they are worth it since they look so nice when clean. I would take the van to your dealership and have them do a visual inspection just to make sure nothing is wrong if your that concerned about it. Good luck!

-Adam
    I have a 2003 T&C Limited and a 2001 Sebring convertible Limited. Get used to the brake dust. It is a fact of life with disc brakes. I keep my cars clean so I spend a lot of time just trying to keep the chrome alloy wheels shiny, especially the front ones. I wipe mine down quite often. But don't they look great! That's the price we have to pay.
    Keep 'em shinin'
    Lee B.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    I rather have steel wheels with wheel covers that cover up the dust. Just my opinion.
    try www.chryslerwarranty.com for the best prices on a factory warranty. There are 3 levels of coverage and a number of month/mileage combinations. Cost is a 1/2-2/3 from your dealer.

Just an insurance policy but......Problems with the complicated power side doors, power rear door, A/C systems will cost you a bundle after your 36/36,000 mile warranty is up.

I've never used either of mine yet but I have another 3 years to go on my vehicles.
  • paulwoopaulwoo Member Posts: 5
    My 97 T&C LXi had the same problem.
    I live in a hilly area.
    I replaced my brake bads with Bendex ceramic pads
    and it took care of dust problem and it lasts almost forever.
    Besides ceramic pads are quiet and comes with a lifetime guarantee.

I had to take my 97 with 140k to the glue factory and just picked up a 03 T&C Limited last week.
    700 under invoice with 0% for 60 months.
    Paulwoo,
    Good luck with the new T&C and thanks for the info on the brake pads. One thought - do they squeal? I'll keep the Bendix ceramic pads in mind but hopefully with less than 4000 miles on both my T&C Limited and my Sebring convertible Limited, I won't have to use them for awhile.
    Lee B.
This discussion has been closed.