Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler Town and Country EX/LX/LXi/Limited

Comments

• Options
    crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    OEM brake pads generally tend to be quite soft. Using harder compounds with the resulting squealing led to frequent warranty claims for excessive noise. The softer compound is much quieter, however it wears faster and generates a great deal of dust.
  • Options
    boiloffboiloff Member Posts: 14
    my wife's 2002 T&C Ltd has developed a "howling" sound that intermittently appears when the van is idling, or slowing to a stop. sound frequency increases when RPM is increased, but disappears when van starts to move. switching off the AC, radio has no effect. the sound is more pronounced inside the cabin - i could barely hear it when i opened the hood to try to locate the sound source. happens when engine is hot or cold.
    anyone experienced similar problem? any ideas?
    thanks.
  • Options
    george95george95 Member Posts: 1
    Having a similar problem with my 2002 T&C LXI AWD.
    Any information would be appreciated.
    It is intermittent. Makes it impossible for
    rocket scientist at dealership to find. Started
    taking vehicle to new dealership.
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    If the noise gets louder when you slighty turn the steering wheel than your dealer should have a TSB (TSB on Steering Res.)for it.
  • Options
    the intermittent howling sound is not affected by turning the steering wheel. the only thing that affects it is engine speed - at higher engine speeds it changes from a "howl" to a "whine" (higher frequency).
    could this be indicative of a belt tensioner problem, as in post # 1316?
  • Options
    carbadacarbada Member Posts: 1
    My T&C mini van has had two experiences 1 week apart. When driving, the engine begins to sputter and loose power. The van slows to a stop and the engine continues to sputter and then stop. I can restart it but it sputters. After some time (30 min or so), I restart it and it appears to run fine. The first time it did this, the technician did find some misfire codes in the computer but could not find a problem. The second time (at the dealer), they did not find anything. At the present it runs fine but when will it stop again? Any one with similar experience please respond. Thanks
  • Options
    hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    With the van not running, turn the ignition key from the off position to the on position (not start position) three times leaving it on the third time. Then count the number of times the check engine light flashes. There should be a pause between the series of flashes. You should end up with 2 digits. i. e. 6 flashes pause six flashes = 66 which means no trouble codes stored in the computer. If you get anything other than 66 post it and I will look it up in my manual. There are 86 codes a scan tool will read, and this method will diagnose 40 and will get you pointed in the right direction. My 96 had an intermittant check engine light with a 32 code which indicated an EGR valve failure, which when replaced, stopped the light and then indicated a 66. A good test for all you DC owners to perform, a 66 means all OK.
  • Options
    emergency1emergency1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys, this is my first time to post messages, so please bear with me. My wife has a 2002 Chrysler T&C Limited minivan, front wheel drive, with the REGULAR duty and self leveling suspension. Good, bad, or ugly, I would like to replace it with Chrysler`s TOURING duty with the self leveling suspension. The TOURING suspension was offered in the T&C LXi, but not the Limited. I asked my 5 star dealer and they said that it wasn`t a problem with Mopar parts, BUT they couldn`t tell which was the touring suspension by just looking at the part numbers. They needed a VIN number to order the correct parts. You can now see my problem, my VIN will only come back as the regular duty, and the 2002 Grand Caravan ES or T&C LXi, which both were offered in the TOURING suspension, are very hard to find on the dealer`s lots to obtain a proper VIN number. And to stop someone on the street that has the touring susp and requesting to disclose their VIN, I think would be very personal and improper. So question, can anybody, owners or any salesman on this board, tell me how I can obtain this info, or at least direct me on how Chrysler codes their replacement parts.
      Thanks, for your time and effort.
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    According to a 2002 Parts Book I can decipher the following parts:

Rear shocks now, 4743 229AA, need 4743 233AA
    Rear Sway Bar now, 5006 128AA, need 5006 121AA
    Front Struts now, 5006 333AA, need 5066 334AA
    Front Sway Bar, Same as present

Springs I cannot tell. Need a 3 digit code for the spring groups (like ZAF). There are 13 or 14 different part numbers (maybe left and right) listed for both front and rear.
    The book says" Spring Group Types; Found on Individual Vehicle Sales Code Listing".

Front spring part numbers range from 5006 705AA thru 5006 780AA. Rear springs 5006 304AA thru 5006 457AA.

You can check prices and descriptions by entering the part numbers in at http://www.magauto.com/chrysler.htm

Prices are discounted 20-25%.

I would guess you are looking at $1000-1300 just for the parts.

Hope this helps!!!!
  • Options
    pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    If there are no codes I would suspect the thottle body. Mine gets gummed up causing van to stall. Get some Gunk throttle body cleaner and use it every couple of months.
  • Options
    emergency1emergency1 Member Posts: 3
    njerald, thanks for your research and response. This helps alot. I was running out of alternatives. Otherwise I risk of ordering the wrong parts. Thanks again!!, emergency1.
  • Options
    palmerpalmer Member Posts: 33
    With a slumping economy and a war with Iraq on the horizon, car companies really seem to be offering big incentives. Chrysler has really gotten into the mix with upping their incentives. I think Chrysler may also be worried about several new model vans coming out this year namely the 04 Sienna, Quest and Odyssey. I just got a quote on a couple of 03 Town and Countries and want to see what others on this board think of the deals offered for those who have recently purchased a T&C or are in the process of getting offers. Here are the deals just recently offered to me:

1. 03 EX (std equipment includes 2 power doors and liftgate) with leather as the only option: $24,952

2. 03 EX (std equipment includes 2 power doors and liftgate) with leather, rear audio and DVD as the only options: $26,947

2. 03 Lxi with leather and heated seats as only options: $26,621

What do people think? Do you think prices will go lower or increase?

Marty
  • Options
    chrish11chrish11 Member Posts: 28
    Hi Palmer,

Those look like some pretty nice numbers for T&C. It looks like they have the incentives already subtracted so you can't use the 0% financing. Is this correct? Also is it really a $2k add for the EX to get the DVD w/rear audio? And do you get a lot more with the LXi over the EX w/leather to justify the price increase? Are these vans on the lot or would you be ordering? Thanks for you info, I am looking at these same vans right now ;-)
  • Options
    Chrish11,

On the Ex with DVD/rear audio, it also came with the infinity speakers ($500 option)-sorry forgot to add that.

Correct, cannot get 0% financing. These prices are with the incentives. What are your thoughts in terms of the better deal, taking the incentives or th 0%??

The vans are on the lot.

The difference between the Ex and Lxi I that I recall are auto climate control, power passenger seat, side molding, fog lites, passenger lites for all 3 rows and probably a couple of more I can't think of now.

That is the million dollar question, an Ex or Lxi??? Any thoughts from anyone else on why they bought either one? I really like the thought of the auto climate control, set it once. You aren't constantly fiddling it, turning it on, off, etc. However, is that convenience, plus the other perks worth $1,600. Tough call to me.

The other thing getting me is that I am a honda person, 2 accords and 1 civic were last 3 cars. Im my opiniion, the T&C looks so much nicer from the outside and inside and with these incentives, comes out less expensive to boot than the Odyssey. Hopefully, Chrysler got it right with the new generation T&C and I am not rolling the dice.
  • Options
    ltscltsc Member Posts: 1
    We are having possible electrical problem. Check engine light comes on then the ABS and Alarm Set lights come and the entire dash area with analog speedometer, digital odometer and gear indicator go completely out. Bounces on and off. I saw a couple of other posts with very similar problems. Van was recently at dealer for 5 days, but problem could not be replicated. Since getting it back it is happening every day. If you've had this problem we would appreciate knowing if the parts replaced (transmission control module, iginition switch, etc.) have fixed the problems. Any other advice on what to do appreciated, too. Van is '00 model. Love it otherwise!
  • Options
    fortbadgerfortbadger Member Posts: 1
    I would appreciate hearing from owners of AWD Chrysler Town & Country Limited. I would appreciate your thoughts on the value of AWD and whether you would include it on your next purchase. Also, interested in any problems you have had and if it is helpful in snow.

Thanks.
  • Options
    sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    I have (my wife actually) a '99 T&C LXi AWD and have been quite satisfied with it. With the bigger 3.8L engine and 4 wheel discs I think the AWD was worth it. This one replaced an '87 GC LE w/ 135k and the wear and tear of 3 kids. When we bought ours, the LXi and Ltd had very little differences other than the price tag. Mechanically, they were pretty close.

Just feels more solid to drive even in the rain. Being from CA we had it up in the sierras on I80 during the thanksgiving snowstorm of '00 and it did great. One highlight was we didn't have to pull over to put chains on when they became mandatory up in the mountains. And while others were sliding and fish-tailing on the steep parts, we stayed pretty sure-footed. I had 5 passengers plus luggage with me. So for me it was more of safety of the AWD more than anything else.

So far (@ 43k) the belt tensioner has given way and had to be replaced. One of my load leveling rear shocks (leaking) was replaced about a year or so after I bought the van (warranty). The auto doors and hatch of the new ones would be nice but didn't have it back then. Otherwise, we're pretty happy with it. Soon I'll be due for new tires though. Good luck.
  • Options
    jpstepjpstep Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help on dealers selling price on T&C LXi's? (probably only extra's would be DVD & Moonroof). Wife is fighting me on the van thing, but with three children, makes sense. Especially w/ the current deal to existing lease holders (2000 Durango), where Chrysler will allow early termination of current lease if purchase/lease a new vehicle, and also the $3500 rebate or 0%/5yr financing. Thanks
  • Options
    Just recently received the following quotes on 03 T&C Lxi's (These prices are taking the rebates and not the 0% financing):

1. Lxi with leather and DVD only: $27,656
    2. Lxi with leather and heated seats only: $26,621
    3. Lxi with leather, DVD and heated seats only: $27,995
    4. Lxi with leather, heated seats, moonroof and DVD only: $27,963

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    enviromanenviroman Member Posts: 13
    Factory rotors on the front are shot at 17K miles and Chrysler will not cover the repair. I am going to try and replace them myself. How difficult of a job is this? I replaced front pads on my '96 T&C and found it to be pretty straight forward. Also, any suggestions on which type of rotors to purchase. Thanks
  • Options
    vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ... should be fairly easy, assuming it is similar to my 99 DGCS. I put in a set of aftermarket drilled rotors from PowerStop, with Hawk HPE pads. Very good performance, but a bit pricey at about $250 for the whole lot. There are cheaper alternatives available from Autozone and Pep Boys too.

You will need to take the calipers off, making sure that you do not stress the flexible hose. While you have the caliper off, lubricating the caliper sliders with high temp brake grease is a good idea too. I would also suggest replacing the pads with the rotors as a set to better mating of the braking surfaces. Use of some anti-squeal coating on the backs of the pads is optional, but recommended. You can buy little packets of the slider grease and the anti-squeal goop from Pep Boys.

Proper break-in of the new rotors is important for long lasting performance. Briefly, no hard stops first 100 miles, no long slow braking from a high speed, then progressive use, then a few hard stops at about 200 miles or so.

Good luck, and if you are unsure about any step, seek advice and help if needed, as one should not take any chances with brakes.
  • Options
    madnanmadnan Member Posts: 4
    palmer,
      Which state that is in. Boy i am paying almost that price for an employee. you've got really good deals on it.
  • Options
    I am in the Philadelphia, PA area.
  • Options
    If that price is not an EP price, i wouldn't wait a second to get those deals. I have EP and i pay just about the same. Couple of hundred dollars less.
  • Options
    Does anyone know the location of the computer is in a 2001 T&C? The manual didn't say.
  • Options
    There are three: Body, Engine and Transmission. The BCM is under the dash on the driver's side. The other two are under the hood.
  • Options
    I am looking for the one with the "speed wire". The Navigation system needs to connect to that wire for measuring the speed/position. Is that the one under the dash on the driver's side? Would you know the color of that wire? Thank you so much for the help.
  • Options
    ....but the easiest location to tap into the vehicle speed signal would be the instrument cluster. I have a 1999 van so my knowledge may not be applicable to your MY van.
  • Options
    Thanks. I guess I won't be able to save the installation fee charge by the Prof.
  • Options
    ...is only a fraction of the system, it is a good idea to pay it, but not a $700 dollar install fee for a $100 part.

A good NAV system such as the Pioneer will run you about $2000 I'm guessing, and perhaps no more than a few hundred for a professional install.

Please post back how it goes, and your thoughts about it.
  • Options
    elf6elf6 Member Posts: 10
    Just took my 02 T&C LXI in for its first oil change at 3200 miles. I bought this car as a left over 02 in late Oct. 02 because they gave me such a great deal ($7300 under MSRP). This is the first of the 12 new cars I have bought in my 46 years of driving where I didn't have a single thing that required warrenty repair or adjustment and I have really tried to find something to gripe about. Chrysler has really improved its quality. What a beautiful car and I really am impressed how smooth and quite it drives.
  • Options
    jakewestmanjakewestman Member Posts: 1
    I left my 2001 T&C on accidently and drained the battery. I put a charge on it overnight. But now when trying to start it, I get clicking noises and various displays on the dash flash. Plus the windshield wipers engage. (and it won't start) Suggestions???
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try a "regular" jumpstart and see if it cranks.

I ran mine down last weekend and had to get a jump. My dash lights would flash, but I doubt that there was enough juice to run the wipers.

Maybe your original battery is worn out and the drain was enough to kill it for good? I don't know if that would explain why a trickle charge wouldn't take.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I don't mind paying someone to install the whole system for me when I couldn't but the whole installation is so easy except for that one wire.
  • Options
    Any noticeable difference with regular, premium etc.
    Any preference as to Chevron, Shell, AM/PM, ARCO etc ?
  • Options
    The whole system with DVD and Navigation is about $1500 plus $150 for a rear LCD screen. It is about the same price for a Mopar DVD only player. I wonder if the system would void Chrysler's warranty.
  • Options
    I used 89 even the manual stated 87 is good enough. I once used Shell and have switched to 76 for over 2 years. I really can't tell if there is any different. Just because 76 usually is cheaper than Shell in my area (Bay Area).
  • Options
    sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    I've switched to Shell from Arco and Chevron on all my cars. Haven't used any other unless I'm on long trips. IMO there is a significant difference in power w/ the same octane that is. Going to a higher octane does not necessarily give you any benefit. Going down from the mfg. specs however is another story.

Go figure a few cents saved vs. your $26-36k investment. For a dime difference you save $1/10 gals. And what's your comfort zone worth?
  • Options
    please share the details of this system you are planning to install. got me interested. might install one myself too.
  • Options
    Here is the link for the Pioneer System:
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CarProducts/CarProd- uctDetails/0,1429,34228,00.html
    The price ranging from $1,500 (ebay) to $2,000 (store)....I guess nobody knows where that "speed sensor" wire is in the 01 T&C.
  • Options
    I noticed that when starting the van in the morning, 25EL is displayed on the radio. this happens mostly when the weather is cold. during warm weather, or after the van has been started, the radio just displays the time. anybody else notice this? do the OBD codes get displayed on the radio?
  • Options
    biyonic2biyonic2 Member Posts: 15
    Our van is running as good as ever. The mileage is not quite up to par per the trip computer. 18+ around town 20+ on the highway.

Someone here was raving about the quality of the TC. I will say I am impressed with the overall quality and the materials. I do think however that the fit and finish was rough - at least on my vehicle. On my test drive I noticed the wire way on the power door was unsnapped, the center wood console was not pushed into place, and some wires are sticking out the back of my steering wheel. Its not DCX's fault though - its the UAW workers.

Also, our van experienced its new dent as well when our 2 yr old pressed the garage door button and the door closed on the open rear hatch. Needless to say the button has been relocated to a higher point on the wall.

Lastly, just read an article on the Toyota Sienna. I'm not in the least bit disappointed that I did not wait for that MV. Take a look at the legroom - or should I say kneeroom - in the front. Its not there.
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    2001 LXi, 2 years old with 28,000 miles.

Bun Warmer on driver side seat was shorted out and had to be replaced under warranty.

That was the first trip to the dealer for anything.

Too bad I will never buy another Chrysler product after a Chrysler VP called Conservatives "myopic" and I found out they give hundreds of thousands to Jesse Jackson and Rainbow/Push. They won't get any more $ from me.
  • Options
    mikesocalmikesocal Member Posts: 19
    Hello everyone,

My wife and I are in the middle of closing a deal with our local Chrysler dealer for a new '03 T&C LXi. I've signed the papers, but my wife hasn't (which is a good thing). Both of our names are on the contract. So legally, it's not ours yet! Van is still at the dealer. They did put the temporary registration on the window, but I ended up leaving the van at the dealer (please read on).

The pertinent information is that this unit comes with 6-disc CD changer/player (factory in-dash with casette/radio/controls also), sunroof, and tri-zone climate control with rear-AC controls attached to ceiling.

We require a rear DVD entertainment system, so the dealer agreed to include that as part of the "due bill" (i.e. to be added after purchase with cost bundled into the purchase price). They said the factory DVD rear entertainment system could be added.

But, as I was preparing to drive off (and go get my wife so she could sign the papers that same night), I talked with the folks in service to find out how it would work (salesman had assured me it was already worked out). Turns out that the *only* way they could add the factory DVD would be to bolt it to the floor, at a location under one of the rear seats. Well, that doesn't work, since we often remove the seats to put all kinds of stuff in our minivan (currently have Windstar). Originally the salesman was told they could install it under one of the front seats, but that's not possible since they're both power seats, so there's no room for the DVD with all the seat-motor equipment under both front seats.

So, then one of the service guys (actually a very nice/bright guy), suggests I consider an after-market DVD/entertainment system. Turns out they have one from Rosen (ClearVUE Ultra all-in-one), that has the DVD player, drop-down 6.8" LCD, controls, wireless headphones, etc. But this unit is a fairly good size unit, and I don't see how this can fit attached to the ceiling, and still have the rear-ac controls. I could live without the rear-ac controls on the ceiling if I could control *everything* for rear-ac from the front, but from what I can tell, I can't control the rear-ac fans speed from the front (temp in auto mode yes, but I don't think I can control fan speed from the front).

This is killing me. I've been working on this deal for almost 2 weeks. If anyone out there has an idea as to how to add a 3rd party DVD entertainment system to the ceiling (all self-contained), and still have room for the rear-ac controls, and also keeping in mind that we have the sunroof, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Otherwise, if I can't get a 3rd party DVD entertainment system added that can also co-exist with the rear-ac controls on the ceiling, I'll have to either:

a) Walk away from the deal (it's an awesome deal)

or

b) Ask them to rip out the entire existing audio system (radio, casette, and 6-disc changer), and replace with the factory system that normally comes with the factory DVD entertainment system, which is single CD player, radio, cassette, and DVD (all in dash)!

I think option 'b' would be quite costly for them, so they would probably resist, plus then we don't get the ultimate audio/video experience.

Again, any advice from people in the know about this sort of thing (expecially anyone that's experienced it before), would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

In fact, if you could cut and paste your response here and also send it to my email address at "mike949@cox.net", that would be great!

Thanks,

Mike
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You might find some useful info in the In-vehicle DVD movie systems discussion.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    goldenbeachgoldenbeach Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a Demo 2003 T/C Limited. After driving only 1100 miles in it. (I bought it with 5500 on it.) I was driving to the dealership to get the tags and the passenger side sliding door window blew out. It did not appear to have been hit from the outside and the entire window was bubbled out and cracked. No glass was inside the vehicle until I opened the door and closed it again. I was wondering if this had happened to anyone else at all. The dealership was quick to suggest that I report it to my insurance carrier, but I do not feel that it was due to something striking the window. I did report the incident to the local state police and was informed that a report was not warranted since the glass did not have a resulting pattern of being hit from the outside, but did have the impression of breaking outward. This incident happened with two young children in the nearby seats that were 'zoned out' watching a DVD at the time. Both were scared by the incident. I have never had this happen before and am worried of defective glass possibly being the problem. Any ideas?
  • Options
    dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    Something very similar happened to my first Chrysler van, a 1988 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE.

Anyway, I was stopped at the stop sign coming out of our local train station and a bolt of lightning came down struck the stop sign RIGHT next to the passenger window, which shattered our window unexpectedly.

I don't know if that applies to you, but I know how you feel.
  • Options
    Depend on how much you are paying for the factory DVD system and who is watching the DVD. You can get an DVD player with headrest LCD (w/ Built-in Speaker) for less than $300 (ebay) and all you need to do is to plug the units to the cigarette lighter socket. Or you can go to BestBuy or Good Guys and ask them what other options you have.
  • Options
    mikesocalmikesocal Member Posts: 19
    Thanks Steve and Tom.

We purchased the van yesterday without having the factory DVD entertainment system added (which saved us quite a bit of money).

I've been researching various 3rd party DVD systems, and it looks like there are several possibilities, however they get a little limited due to the power moonroof. In the end, if we don't go with a portable solution (e.g. Audiovox DVD in-a-box), we'll probably end up going with a split solution (factory LCD on headliner, and 3rd party smaller DVD that fits in console).

Thanks.

Mike
  • Options
    larry51klarry51k Member Posts: 35
    back on feb 10 "fortbadger" requested feedback from any awd t&c owners. he got only one response. i am very interested in the awd and would like to hear from more owners, especially 02 or 03 owners. is there a great loss in gas mileage with the awd? how does the awd system function? the literature i got doesn't say anything about it. also, is there a way to find out how many awd's are sold vs. reguler fwd?
    thanks for you imput.
This discussion has been closed.