Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Silver with beige?

Meh... I'd want Silver w Light Grey or Black myself...

OK, so with Navi it's reasonable. Manheim on these with Navi is $27ish, Galves is $25k or so. RXs are funny, WITH Navi they do "out of the book", without Navi? Barely Galves.. which is low 23s without navi.

If it was Black/Black or especially if it was Pearl White then it would be a super deal. If it's at an independent dealer and it's nice, ya know.. good tires, good brakes, good carfax, etc.. it's about where ya should target to be.

If it's at a Lexus dealer and it's Certified Pre-Owned then you'd expect to be around $32-33k.
    Low $20s?

You're looking at the wrong vehicles... for that kind of money we're talking either megamiles or one that's played bumper cars before.

In other words... no, don't do that. Buy on value, not price because you'll end up with dreck.

So, do ya want an MDX/FX or do you want to spend low $20s? I can give you some suggestions either way.
    Buy it.

Galves with those miles is $36k and change... And this one is THE color for an LS460... wouldn't be shocked to see a cherry one do as much as $40k at Manheim.
    And the ones doing that are probably running winder the yellow light with a unibody damage announcement. Or they're gold.

Or both.
    edited November 2011
    ***FIFTY THREE THOUSAND MILES***

That is the killer here. No warranty, cannot CPO it.

I'd be $48-49k, $55k is past all the money... my guess is that it's Greenwich or Pace, DCH stores can be real aggressive on trades... because that's stupid money.

These are doing $60k with miles in the upper 30s... but the truth is, once a car like this passes 50k, the market for it dries up big time as it can't be sold as a CPO, so no BMW dealer wants it.

Edit, misread it. $52k is all the money... $55k is stupidity, my bad.

Yeah he's getting a fair price for it, higher than I would be... IMO that's about all it does at the sale if it's NICE.
    Even so, if someone can go to the sale for you, nice RXs are $27k across the block easily with Navi, and a Pearl White one can come darn close.

If ya buy one.. remember, no paintwork, no unibody damage, etc.. get a nice car.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    BMW dealers can now CPO a vehicle that has up to 60K miles.. but, still... with the original warranty gone and the maintenance program expired, nobody will want it...

Most buyers want a CPO that is three years old, with 36K-45K miles and three total years of warranty left...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    Right on as always Bill. The dealer is Greenwich. When he told me they were offering him that much, I told him it sounded high & therefore a good deal.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• theeegodtheeegod Member Posts: 53
    Thanks for all the insight guys. Seems like the board agrees that either I need to up the $ or switch the vehicles...

What are your thoughts on leasing AND then buying out a 2011 FX 35 AWD? Currently, many dealers are leasing/selling these puppies either at or even below DEALER cost (according to truecar.com). Would leasing to buy make sense in my situation? Thank you again for all the help!
    For instance -

2011 FX 35 AWD with premium package + midnight mocha and java interior - about 42900 (about 100ish more than dealer cost)

2011 FX 35 AWD base model - for 38700 (less than dealer cost)

These are not that much more than the 2009 FX 35 AWD - around 10k more and I can have a brand new car...

Am I thinking along the right track or illogically?
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November 2011
    Well you're getting into the vehicle in a potentially very expensive manner. It really comes down to what the lease factors are on these (and obviously the residual) but I assume you would then have to finance it after leasing? You're gonna pay a boat load of interest unless they have near 0% money factor and a great residual on the lease.

Didn't you say you drive a lot of miles? Can you get any tax benefit from the lease? Leasing is almost always the most expensive option unless you can use the tax deduction AND invest the cash you're not spending. Now if you just realistically can't afford the vehicle and just want that cheaper payment....then leasing may be the answer. I'm not trying to be harsh but that's the reality of it. So assuming there's no huge lease incentive...it would be a bad financial decision. If you can get a low enough interest rate the next best decision (still a bad one in my book...but better) might be to finance over a longer period.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    Plus.... you just added $20K to your auto budget..

No matter how low the payment, or how long you stretch it out, that's still over $40K...

You are comparing the value to a used one, by stating it's only $10K more.. but, you already decided you couldn't afford the used one..

It's easy to rationalize spending more money to get what you want.. I've done it plenty of times... Usually, not a real good idea.. If you needed to move up to $25K-$27K to get what you want, and you can afford it, no problem... Adding $20K to your budget? Just be careful.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    SUV's are much more expensive than sedans. If you want a 2009 luxury ride. Look for an Infiniti G. Those are under 27,000.

I still think you can get an MDX without Nav under 27000 with less than 40,000 miles. Aren't a lot of them out there but they do exist. Don't know if they have any body work. You can do a search on various sites just make sure to expand you search to something like 500 miles.

In my opinion, you should spend 2000 more and buy used rather than lease and buy at the end of the lease.
  • clhonu05clhonu05 Member Posts: 4
    2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
    Body Style: Minivan
    Engine: 3.5L
    Driveline: FWD
    Mileage: 32000
    Color: Red
    Major Options: Power everything, Leather seats. Does not have NAV, DVD, JBL, fog lights or heated seats.

I found this van on autotrader listed for about $22k. It's located about 60mi from me, so I wanted to see if the price listed by the dealer is reasonable before I drive up to see it. It looks to be in excellent condition based on the pictures and still under the original 3yr/36k mfr warranty. Thanks.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    For reference only, that van was roughly $29 grand street price when it was new. Or that was a great deal for it back then, anyway.

$33k would have gotten NAV/DVD.

Sienna prices are higher now.
    $22k is better than reasonable, it's $500 over Galves If it's a nice van it's a steal, should do $22k or better at auction.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    "End up with dreck"...too funny guy...too funny! :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Thanks for the new price reference. It does amaze me what these vans cost. I'm still trying to decide if the extra XLE options are worth to price premium to me.
    Thank you for the info. It seemed like a good deal but was wondering if I'd have a shot a negotiating a lower price since $22k is pushing my budget a bit.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    I'm pretty sure the pros would say the value of the car doesn't change because of your budget.
    It's still worth it to ask, just in case.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    If you don't ask...you don't get!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    it's four years old.
    in the rust belt.
    you're getting a $10 price break from new, or something like 30% off.
    even with relatively low miles, this does not make a lot of sense.

-Mathias
    Thank you all for setting the record straight! It does seem like I was pushing the envelope and trying to get something I can't really afford at the moment.

It boils down to just the MDX now - the used FX is out of the equation.

I wanted to ask you all what are the advantages of CPO. I read somewhere that CPO can either be from ACURA or from the dealer and the former is the only one to get b/c the latter one is usually nothing more than a sham. Truth or false? Also, how much more will a comparable CPO MDX from Acura cost compared to a non CPO MDX? And when buying, how would I know whether the CPO is from Acura or the dealer?

I was browsing and came across these at a local dealership: these. any thoughts on any of these? thank you all for being so helpful!
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Pretty easy, a true CPO is offered by Acura only, and is only available thru an Acura dealer. The experts will know more than I, but I believe it costs a dealer $1k-2k to certify it, so the price will go up accordingly. The cars get a two million point inspection (ok, 100 point or so), Acura extends the warranty a year, and will give new car level interest rates if you finance with them. Also includes roadside assistance, etc.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

What does make a lot of sense then? Save up my pennies until I can afford a new one or buy a van from somewhere other than the rust belt?

I've looked at several makes of vans I like the Sienna the best. It's unfortunate they command such a high price.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    The new ones are priced out of sight. I know...I bought an '11 Limited back in March. Sold a loaded '05 Odyssey in one day for 50% of what I had paid for it new...and it had 100k miles on the clock. Makes that '08 Sienna seem like a bargain to me. I'm in the rust belt and it just comes down to care. The Ody we sold was six years old and in terrific shape inside/out. Someone that doesn't care for their car...you'll be able to tell and avoid those.
  • mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    I like the Sienna the best. It's unfortunate they command such a high price.
    Bring a 72 Ford pickup 4X4 V-8 here to Virginia and trade for the Sienna.

No rust on our cars and the hillbillies here call them Tayotees, have

no respect for them and say they sit on the lot and won't give bupkis

for trade on them, Meanwhile, they'll be all over your Ford truck. A heavy

duty winch and brush guard will garner an extra thousand on trade.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    Put some time in the seat. Ultimately, you gotta like what you drive.

Personal preference on e whether or not a CPO is needed on an Acura.
    I might roll the dice and buy one without it. That is just me. By the way I have a friend who drives one he loves it. He previously drove Tahoes.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Minivan options have shrunk, so prices have gone up a bit.

Resale on Sienna/Ody were already good, and now that new vans cost more, people are willing to pay even more for a good used one.

So basically residuals were high, now higher.

I bought in 2007 so I'm not complaining. :shades:
    CPO - does it mean that I won't be mislead per se? For example, if there was an accident or something that was not reported, or if there was anything wrong with the car that I may miss, the CPO tag would have looked over this and automatically fix it. Does it give me the peace of mind that I am not buying a lemon or something that was a lemon and is now golden?
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Depends on the dealer. My CPO experience wasn't that great. I should not have been surprised because the dealership has always been less than outstanding.

I got caught on things that were supposed to be inspection items that didn't get done and then I didn't keep careful records. They counted on the fact tat most people, even if they complain to the company (in this case Honda) won't puch it past the first step.

What you are mostly buying is an extended warranty (an extra year on the factory warranty and a 100K/7 year powertrain warranty in this case).

Some dealers really do an excellent job with CPOs. You have to look.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Thanks. How and what do I look for?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    There are at least 2 different types of CPO, one is manufacturer CPO and the other is dealer CPO.
    Be sure to ask which one it is.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Absolutely. Unfortunately the manufacturer doesn't have a rep to watch the dealer so in this case a Honda CPO was on a van that didn't deserve it.

BTW if looking at Honda products if the vehicle has less than 36K on it don't buy the extended warranty from your dealer. Look at the thread in this forum on Honda warranties. You can buy them from any dealer on the Internet. The one time I bought one the local dealer wanted $1,800 for it. I got it for less than half that from a guy in Baton Rouge. I'm in New Jersey. Every Honda dealer in teh country and Canada has to honor it.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Interesting. I am in NJ as well and looking to get an Acura. Any word on their warranties?
    Should be the same as Honda's but I haven't checked yet.
    I'd suggest shopping Montclair... they'll sell one cheap, especially at month end
  • aberfoyleaberfoyle Member Posts: 6
    Traded in a 2000 xlt v8 xploder for a 2008 4runner. Sticker price was 26700, and I got it for 22,400. 4runner was cpo and decked out with lots of optional packages.
    On any car, if something goes wrong, best to document it with the manufacturer. My '06 Civic's a/c started to blow warmish air last April & I put in a complaint with Honda and got a case number. By August, it was really blowing warm air and the car was unusable down here in South Florida, so I again called Honda and complained...it was documented again. I had to get it fixed and called again and spoke with a regional rep who asked me to send him the bill and a copy of my paid receipt. He promised nothing but I asked for any consideration he could give, asked for the whole $166.00 amount and hoped for the best. They agreed to pay for 1/2, so I was very pleased to at least have gotten something. Had a similar problem with the 1st set of tires when new. They performed the TSB to correct the issue and I asked for some kind of refund for the 4 ruined tires. Again, I asked for the whole amount but was very happy to have gotten a check for 1/2. Moral here is that one should always ask...the worst they can say is "no" and maybe like myself, they will give "something".

So if something is wrong with the car, always talk to the manufacturer and they just might step up to the plate and offer some kind of help...most companies do not want unhappy customers as word of mouth can be a powerful tool, made that much stronger by the internet. You best believe these companies monitor certain web sites to keep a pulse on their buying public.

Drove out of my development today behind a new dark gray Elantra Limited and I actually really liked it especially with the nicer alloys. Car had a nice stance to it and looks better overall than it's larger Sonata brother...the new fluid lines just fit the compact Elantra better. I really think the wife will choose this out of all the other compact competition out there once she test drives them all...I think it's just that good. I personally love the airy interior, felt more open & brighter than the Focus. Comparing the leather in both, it's a toss up as they both felt very soft & comfortable. This is a car I think she'd be happy with for the next to 7 years with. A shame we can't wait for the refresh that will happen in 2014, a 2013 might have to do. If her current Mazda3 behaves and lasts another 2 years, then I'd be the happiest. Hope for the best and deal with what life hands us! :)

Geez...

Miles? Equipment Levels? Location? Not enough info :)
  • westchesterkenwestchesterken Member Posts: 5
    I am negotiating to buy a car that just came off lease (not mine), and am curious what this car would sell at auction. The car is currently owned by the finance arm not the dealership.

Mercedes
    2009 R350 53,000 miles- Mt. Kisco- AWD
    Iridium Silver
    Black MB-Tex
    P01 Package: Rear view camera, PARKTRONI
    890 : Power Tailgate
    810 : harman/kardon Sound System w/Dolby 5.1
    518 : iPod/MP3 Media Interface
    517 : HD Radio with SIRIUS Satellite Radio and
    512 : COMAND w/Navigation and Voice Control
    226 : 7-Seat Option
    220 : PARKTRONIC
    218 : Rear view camera
    049 : iPod/MP3 Media Interface Cable
    U80 : 115V AC Power Outlet
    Sport Appearance Package: 19" 5-spok
    691 : Blue Tinted Glass
    V59 : Speed and Load Index
    R39 : 5-Spoke Alloy Wheels
    P96 : Exterior Appearance
    Panorama Sunroof
    Trailer Hitch - 3,500 lbs. (Class II)
    Rear Seat Entertainment System
    Heated Front Seats
    Came across a 2009 acura MDX CPO black base model with 16.2K miles for around $30 large. Is this a good deal or do I have more room to wiggle with? They initially started at 32 and came down to 30 w/o much haggling. Any thoughts on this deal?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    hmmm... maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it looks to me like it could approach $30k at auction with those miles. So it seems like a screaming deal. This is an actual Acura CPO?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

maybe $27-$28k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    edited November 2011
    This is for a friend at work; I'll explain why farther down...

2007 Mazda 5 "Sport" -- that's the base model -- with 30,018 miles, black.
    Automatic. You can't have everything.
    Clean title & carfax, second owner, clean but not outstanding.
    Alloys, needs tires right about now.
    CD changer, plus the usual fare -- remote locks, power stuff, cruise.
    This is in central Michigan.

We'd like the wholesale value, but in this case, retail is also important.

That's cause my friend owns this car, but he got creamed on Sunday, taking a drive with two of his little kids. The driver's side slider came completely off the car when he was t-boned by some ditz running a stop sign.
    Nobody got hurt. I would have settled for some light bruising on the ditz...

I've only seen pictures; the driver's door is severely dented, the front q-panel is dinged up some, but it's not clear how much the structure got deformed -- I'm thinking there has to be frame damage, but even the B pillar does not look whacky. It's easy to see when the sliding door has been knocked off :surprise:

The hope is that it gets totaled, of course. We shall see. I've been through this process before, so I can help out; first thing is to get some numbers to keep the insurance company honest.

Thanks a lot in advance,
    -Mathias
  • queens207tlqueens207tl Member Posts: 35
    2009 Honda Pilot EX AWD
    Northern NJ
    Black/Grey Interior
    39,000 miles
    Standard options
    Very Good condition, had all regular maintenance done

What is a good trade in value for this?
    Ya think so? Just spoke to him again - Selling price of 30985 plus 7% nj tax + 199 doc fee + plates and the grand total would be 33500. Is this good or can I do better? Financing that for 5 years at 5% would equate with a monthly payment of $700! What do you guys think?
    wholesale on a clean one is in the $9k-$10k zip code.

$20-$21k