Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    edited December 2011
    At least in Pittsburgh, they really don't come off of sticker that much for new ones. D.C. is almost 1500 cheaper. I would imagine that they do come down a lot on the loaded ones.

I was looking at a cost of ownershop table and it says that Equinox depreiciates about 5800 in year one. This is apparently wrong. I guess the Equinox is like the CR-V in that you gotta buy new.

I think the 2009 Pilot is the buy right now.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    well, actually, that's not completely wrong. Hell, its almost dead-on correct.

Looking up here on Edmunds, it tells me that a new 2012 Equinox LT1 AWD has an msrp of $27,530. Using the number I gave earlier, a 2011 has a trade-in value of $20k, so that's $7500 depreciation.

But that's with over 17k miles, which is high. Using the average of 12k for one year brings the value up to about $21,500 .... leaving $6k depreciation.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    edited December 2011
    I can't see this working out logistically, but what the hell.

a 2005 BMW 330ci (coupe). At a BMW dealer, and very clean. just over 80k on the clock (a bit stiff IMO)

Black over saddle leather (not tan, the darker baseball glove color). Gorgeous color combo.

Had H-K sound, 17" wheels, etc. Probably relatively standard equipment though.

They had come down to $14,500 on it, but what say the oracles?

I suspect in NJ in the winter a RWD coupe is not going to be a hot ticket, so if I decided to go that way, it would have to be a lowball!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    so this was an auto, nonsport, right? Its between $10-11k. So 14.5 is still a bit high in my book.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    they had it "on sale" at IIRC 14,995, and after 1 round of negotiations they came down to 14.5. Of course they also started my trade at 6k (ah, no).

If I needed a car, and had nothing to sell (so was paying cash) I think I could have gotten them to drop their shorts on it. Tough sell (RWD, winter, miles) I would guess, so 12.5K in cash dropped on the desk might have done the deal.

That one though was getting a bit out of the price range, and maybe not something I want to turn my daughter loose in (which of course is the ultimate plan).

but still darned nice. An E46 IMO is really the perfect car.

• Options
    gtrips07gtrips07 Member Posts: 7
    Tampa Fl
    04 Acura TL
    4DR
    Grey Ext Black Interior
    Non-Nav
    No major dings, front end repainted by Acura due to dirt in paint at time of purchase
    Needs Rt Front Window Regulator
    T-Belt Replaced at 75k w/ water pump
    All service at dealer w/ records
    Tires Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 70% tread left
    All highway miles
    Inside Immaculate

Looking for wholesale price; thinking 7-8k range?
  • Options
    2008 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport or 2009 Vovlo XC90 R Design V8
    Looking for Auction Values for the above with around 12-15k miles per year.
    I was told November Manheim for 2008 in November was around 23k w/ 29k retail value. Do not have any info on 2009. The V8's are rare will they be hard to find at an auction?

Also is a dealer willing to find you a car at auction if you commit to give him a certain number over costs? I.e., give him2k over his cost plus pay him cost plus 500 for CPO warranty?
  • Options
    automatic, yes?
    If so, your guess is right on the money as long as that repaint stands up to scrutiny.

• Options
    ah, well, let's see... Galves is $22k-$23k on the '08 with 49k'ish miles. Add $600 for DVD and $800 for Nav.

And '09 R design is $26-$27 with 38k'ish miles. Add $700 DVD and $900 Nav.

Don't know if a dealer would go for that blindly. "Cost" can vary greatly when purchasing from auction. All you can do is try.

Searching manheim for all '08 and '09 v8s coming up or up for auction, I found 7 nationwide, with projected prices of $21k (60k miles) up to $34k (R design with nav and 26k miles). There is only 1 '08 sport, no nav or dvd, 45k miles, grey on grey, and the selling dealer is wanting about $27k for it.

So, is Galves accurate in this case? Not so much. Unless you can find one that was traded in cheap rather than bought at auction.

• Options
    Thanks!

Yes Auto and I always disclose paint because it could be seen if someone saw repair history from dealer. Paint job was very good and when I thought about trading at different Acura dealer they never even noticed.
  • Options
    Thanks for your input.

Because they are few and far between do you think dealers will negotiate? It seems like most used ones are marked up 5-6k over auction/wholesale values. Do you think there is a chance at getting for around 2-2.5k over what they have into them?

The reason I was thinking the auction route was that the dealer gets to make a profit without having to keep a car in inventory and by offering to give them cost plus they have a firm profit margin plus make money on the warranty. I would even consider financing through them so they made something out of the box if they were competitive.

Also, are dealers willing to buy from another dealer for a certain used car?

Thanks again!
  • Options
    Also, are dealers willing to buy from another dealer for a certain used car?

Well, technically, dealers buy from each other all the time ... it just happens in auction format.

I personally always shoot for $2k-$2500 over. I have been known to pay as much as $3k, however, when the car was quite rare and the dealer was quite stubborn.

• Options
    What do you think on a 2008 Volvo xc90 V8 Sport No Nav but non-OEM DVD with 32k miles that the dealer is listing for 29.9k? I think it is way high considering it is not CPO and looks like it needs a new set of rubber. I was thinking CPO with new rubber in the 25.5 to 26k range.

Thanks again
  • Options
    I was thinking CPO with new rubber in the 25.5 to 26k range.

uhh... no. That's only $1k over trade-in value with those miles. $29,9 would be an OK purchase price for CPO.

• Options
    Thanks for your help.

Do dealers work with you on tires? A lot of what I have seen used has non OEM and tires run about 800 a pop and I don't look forward to putting new rubber.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but are there any other warranties that are as good as CPO? Had it on my Volvo V70 T5 and it paid for itself many times over with very little nitpicking.
  • Options
    Hey Q, how much difference do some miles make?

You pegged the 2005 325i with 83k on the clock (steel blue) at ~10.5-11K.

How much for the same car, in white over tan, still a 2005 (AT, RWD) but with only 43K on the clock? Looks to be comparably clean?

I need to get this over with soon!

Oh, the used car lot that has the white one is asking 14,995 for it. Same place that had the 2003 with 53K on it for 12 grand.

Thanks!

• Options
    Funny thing about miles: it hurts more to be OVER the average than you gain by being UNDER. Each car is slightly different, but on an '05 325, the value goes up $67.50 per 1k under the average of 67k. It gets penalized $90 per 1k over 67k.

So roughly $3k difference between your 2 examples.

• Options
    Tirerack has half a dozen choices under $225 each. I wouldn't pay dealer prices, that's for sure. Hell, you can get the very highly regarded Continental DWSs for $235 each.

• Options
    Interesting. So 13.5 is reasonable, shoot for 13 if I want to play hardball?

• Options
    also the reason I am tending to look at higher mile units!

Though I do have "rwd in winter in an area where it snows" phobia working on my side right now!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    don't sweat it. Good set of snow tires and you are all set. My best snow car ever was that 190E with NO traction control, mind you, and a set of snows. It is the first car I put snows on, though. Going to see if my current snows from the GTI will fit the 540.

And, yes, your numbers are reasonable.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,436
    If you really want to play hardball, make your offer & when they accept it, make a remark about how you've read so much about how well AWD BMWs handle in the snow. When they tell you it is a RWD car, look REALLY dissapointed & say "damn, I didn't realize that.". Walk out & tell them you'll have to think it over. They'll call you the next day:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    "I do have "rwd in winter in an area where it snows" phobia working on my side right now!"

I have that phobia too. It's a valid attitude. I also have a RWD 5-series that I have a set of snow tires for, & with the snow tires, it's "decent", & driveable, in ploughed areas in eastern MA. But I wouldn't want to be driving it on a ski trip to VT, or caught in a freak blizzard. So figure the cost of a set of snow tires & wheels into the equation. And weather is getting crazier, it seems......lots of used AWD bmw's out there.....
  • Options
    I don't have the phobia. I just plan to use it to my financial advantage!

down here in jersey, we don't have to drive in real snow very often, so on real bad days it can just stay in the garage. I most likely would not even bother with snows if I am driving it. maybe when my daughter can solo?

Hey, I spent 4 years in upstate NY with RWD cars, and the one that had bias ply snows probably had baldies anyway. Duster, an Opel, a Hornet, and a corolla. not exactly your basic snow mobiles there. At least the foreign cars had AS tires!

• Options
    tj11119tj11119 Guest, Member Posts: 136
    Looking to trade in my car, appreciate your help in getting a trade in value, thanks

2008 VW GTI
    Body Style: 4dr
    Engine: 2.0t DSG AUTO
    Driveline: fwd
    Mileage:49100
    Color: Gray exterior, cloth int
    Major Options: Sunroof, dsg
    Condition:
    No dings, no damage, some rim curb rash.
    Tires - ok
    All maintenance done
  • Options
    About $13k. Maybe $13,500 on a push.

If you have the 18" wheels, that adds a couple hundred bucks.

• Options
    dillydilldillydill Member Posts: 111
    to qbrozen, Bill, sebring95, and atexiera among others. I appreciate all who post and make this a great board.

This probably isn't the right place to post this, but I am not sure where to. But here is an update.

We ended up trading our 99 Sienna XLE with 175K and needing lots of work towards a 2011 Sienna LE with 32K CPO.

In July, I was looking at a couple XLE Limited's and Bill posted that our 99 was around a $1K trade. This was before check engine light, abs and tire light came on. Now I needed to get a new rear cat and a new rear wheel bearing and abs sensor.

Based on info from qbrozen I figured a good number on the 2011 was $21-$22.

Without much back and forth we settled on my 99 van plus $19895 for the 2011. Plus TTL.
    Wife is happy = I am happy. Having good numbers and the knowledge ahead of time made the whole thing smooth.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    bmw dujour. Pretty sure I can peg this one!

anyway, found a 2003 325i 4 door. AT, premium, heated seats. IOW the usual. Clean, 1 owner carfax FWIW.

88K on it.

dark gray over gray. Really nice color combo. Looks snappy in the pictures. have not seen in person.

listed at $9,999, on a smaller local used car lot (mom and pop shop style, but seems to always have nice stuff, and alsways a few Bimmers).

I am guessing that RW if it checks out it is maybe an 8K cash car? 10 sounds high for a 2003.

• Options
    tj11119tj11119 Guest, Member Posts: 136
    Thanks! :) doesn't look so bad
  • Options
    good deal. congrats.

• Options
    8k might be a little light. You'll probably have to add another nickel. Even $9k is pretty reasonable if its all there, knee deep in rubber, etc.

• Options
    thanks. Hopefully I can get over to look this week, but not counting on it. Probably have to hope it lasts until after Christmas.

8.5 still doesn't sound too bad, if (like you say) it checks out and has no immediate needs.

But of course, dropping an 8k, I write a check now, offer sounds good to me.

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats, and always remember Happy Wife = Happy Life!
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is interested in talking with shoppers who held, or are still holding, onto their vehicle longer than usual and are now finally returning to the market. You should have already bought after deferring a purchase, or expect to buy in the near future. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 23, 2011 and include your contact information.
  • Options
    cadillacmikecadillacmike Member Posts: 543
    edited December 2011
    Here's 1 of two. this one is a CTS:
    Year make model: 2008 Cadillac CTS AWD Premium package
    Body Style: 4 door sedan
    Engine: 3.6 L Direct Injection
    Driveline: AWD
    Mileage: 27,600
    Color: Silver with Lt Grey leather interior (technicaly light platinum with light titanium interior (w ebony accents!))
    Major Options: Chromed CTS 18" wheels, extended sunroof, HDD based nav system w/ Bose 10 speaker surround, XM, DVD & MP3 player capability, actual spare (instead of inflator kit), Adaptive Xenon outer-space headlights, split folding rear seat, fancy wood interior, performance brakes, cooling system, suspension, etc. It has EVERY option except the engine block heater, and in FL that's not needed.
    Condition:
    Interior: outstanding, no wear in back at all, really none easily spotted in front either, carpets are stain free.
    Exterior: no dings, no paint work, no accidents, etc.
    Tires - New Vogue 235-50-ZR18 V rated.
    Brakes new less than 1,000 mi since replacement
    Maintenance up to date
    Other:
    GM build sheet states "unit built without wood steering wheel and shift knob" and of course it doesn't them, but it is a "premium package" CTS, and has the PQD RPO code on it. Dealer friend says they likely ran out of these items when building the car so they skipped them, it's about a $50 difference in value that i can tell. Car is Cadillac CPO with 1 month of original warranty remaining plus 2 yrs of CPO warranty or 100,000 mi.
  • Options
    cadillacmikecadillacmike Member Posts: 543
    edited December 2011
    Here's is # 2, this one is a V8 STS:
    Year make model: 2009 Cadillac STS V8 NorthStar Platimun edition
    Body Style: 4 door sedan
    Engine: 4.6 L NorthStar VVT
    Driveline: RWD
    Mileage: 11,000
    Color: Silver with cashmere leather interior all leather wrapped interior and suede (alacantra) headlinings & vanity visors
    Major Options: 1SG package with adaptive cruise control, side blind zone alert, lane departure warning, Heads up display, sunroof, nav system w/ Bose 15 speaker surround & 6 disc changer, XM, DVD & MP3 player capability, actual spare (instead of inflator kit), Xenon outer-space headlights, rear seat pass thru, fancy wood interior, performance brakes, cooling system, suspension, etc. chrome 18" wheels (avail ONLY with platinum ed), exclusive suede (alacantra) headlinings, hand stitched leather interior panels (in addition to the seats) It has EVERY option except the engine block heater and AWD.
    Condition:
    Interior: outstanding, no wear at all, seats barely breathed on, carpets are stain free.
    Exterior: no dings, no paint work, no accidents, etc.
    Tires: New 235-50-ZR18 W rated front 255-45-ZR18 W rated rear.
    Brakes: new less than 500 mi since replacement
    Maintenance: up to date
    Other:
    Cadillac CPO plus 1 yr of original factory warranty remaining
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    'Xenon outer-space headlights, ....
    Brakes: new less than 500 mi since replacement '
    For exploring outer space?
    Owned by a NASA astronaut?
    Seriously, though -
    Um - new brakes at 10,500 miles?
    THAT seems very odd...
    - Ray
    Ex-Rental?
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    Maybe they warped early.
  • Options
    Sound like a couple of nice cars. Too bad they still depreciate so harshly.

The CTS is going to be right around $21k. Could see a dealer wandering up near $22k if it glows in the dark.

STS might see $18k. That's a damned expensive 11k miles.

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Used car bargain?
  • Options
    robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    Does the Premium package add a lot to the CTS AWD?

Right now, I think the 2008 CTS and the 2008 G35X are good buys used. What do you think? Basically a lot of car for the money. Still have a little warranty left.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The platinum adds just $750. A performance package adds $1500, though.

Oh, wait, sorry, that's the STS.

CTS adds nothing for premium. You get a DEDUCT for not having leather. Moonroof adds $650, 18" wheels adds $550, and Nav adds $700.

AWD is a $900 add.

• Options
    sbuhlersbuhler Member Posts: 122
    Would appreciate a wholesale value on the following:

2008/GMC/Acadia/SLT2
    FWD
    55,000 miles
    Blue exterior
    DVD player, sunroof, NO nav
    very good condition, tires less than 4 months old
    All maintenance up to date
    Southeast Louisiana

Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Wow. You can still buy a Cadillac without leather? I'm stunned.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    I believe the base models, like BMW and Mercedes, come with a very convincing synthetic leather, otherwise known as vinyl. My 3-series had it, it never bothered me, and nobody else seemed to notice or care. That's one part of the "premium package" I can live without!
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,436
    We leased a 2007 BMW X3 with leatherette for 3 years. It held up beautifully after 46,000 miles. Kid's milk spills, no problem. Wife's water breaks on the passenger seat, no problem.

It does tend to get hot easier as it doesn't breathe like leather does. Just to give an example; if we left the X3 parked outside in the sunlight when it was say 55-60 degrees out, my wife would turn the AC on when she got in the car.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    For the most part I am just as happy or happier with nice cloth seats but will admit the leather ones in the Solara are kind of changing my mind....

For some reason I find those lightly used Caddies intriguing.....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    pblx3pblx3 Member Posts: 3
    Hi - I would appreciate info on the trade in value of this suv

2009 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
    Mileage: 26750
    Color: Black/light gray leather
    Major Options:
    navigation
    rear entertainment system
    remote start
    tow pkg
    Condition:
    Overall Good
    A few minor dings
    All maintenance done when due and up to date
    Tires - Of the 5 tires (including full size spare) - 2 are new tires, 1 needs to be replaced, others normal wear.
    Other: rear door on drivers side replaced due to damage (pole in garage - ugh!)

Thanks much!
  • Options
    Well, down there the FWD shouldn't hurt much. Probably looking at about $19k.

• Options
    oh boy. tough call with the previous damage. Is this on carfax? The quality of the repair is really going to affect the number.

This has a moonroof, too, no? If yes, ..... well, good grief. My wild guess would be anywhere from $24k-$27k.