Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    edited February 2013
    wow. That's not good.

So does the $1500 include finding the missing tip? I doubt it. But no way I'd go through all that without pulling the head to make sure its not in there. Would be ridiculous to put it all back together only to destroy the engine be starting it up with that in there.

So, where does that leave you? Not in a good place, I'm afraid.

Any chance you want a new Honda? You could talk to them about trading it as it sits. At this point, if you could get $1k out of them, I'd suggest taking it. A good one is still only worth $2500 on trade.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• 6passenger6passenger Member Posts: 9
    I am not going to have the work done. Other than routine maintenance and a replaced transmission at 60k( covered by extended honda care) I have had very little problems with this car. I've gotten 10+ years out of it and I'll replace her.

Just trying to see if I can negotiate any sort of trade in from them on Monday with an offer on a 2013 Ody touring.

Thanks for your insight...
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,384
    edited February 2013
    Yes the one at Devon Hill. I was going on the dealers word it was 1-owner. It wasn't 1-owner now that I saw the CarFax. Appears to be two owners.

They tried to tell us they were into it for 24 with expenses. I don't buy that but there are not many manual trans Z4 coupes around the Philly area.

Thanks for the input! It seemed high.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    I'd take this 2008 Z4M for sale in TN:

Maybe even add vinyl stripes so it would look like Satch Carlson's "WOADSTER":

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,505
    Burner, looks fast. And I am sure 28FF (And QB) would back me up on this, but around Philly, those wheels/tires might last a week before you were replacing them!

That reminds me. I was reading one of my car magazines last night, and they had an update on one of their LT test cars. Can't remember which one, but I believe it had 20" wheels, and by 20K (in Michigan, so roads like ours) ALL 4 wheels were bent and needed repairing. That IMO is obscene. And a big reason I avoid the real sporty cars around here. I had a tC with 45 series, and drove like an obsessed grandma, and spent most of my time watching for potholes and not traffic!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,505
    Tell them the same thing they would tell you if your car was worth 14K but you wanted 16K for it because that is what you owe on it.

doesn't matter what you paid, the market is the market and a car is worth what it is worth.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

that was on their Charger. They also talked about a couple of bent wheels on their Audi (before it was stolen!).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I love when they tell me things like that. As someone else said, just as they wouldn't care what you have in your care, neither should you care what they've paid for theirs. If you bought it and tried to trade it tomorrow, you'd still only get 17k for it, regardless of what you paid.

No question. I'm merely pointing out the hilarity in the statement. We obviously walked - mostly because I don't let anyone buy a new/used car without first consulting with my Edmunds brain trust.

Believe me, its not going anywhere anytime soon - 6spd RWD Coupe on the Philly Main Line in the middle of winter? There is a reason they've had it for over 30 days now.
  • 6passenger6passenger Member Posts: 9
    They ended up offering me $1,000 on trade-in. This is better, I was worried I would have to tow the car around on a hitch going dealer to dealer to get a better price for the new car and trade-in. :blush:
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    Thanks Q.
    I have plenty of equity at that number, if I need it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Speaking wheels and tires, my mom decided to drive about 10 miles on her flat, then call AAA to fix the flat when she got home.
    By the time I got involved, the donut was mounted and there was a rim with the remnants of a tire in the trunk. The rim had a chunk taken out of it, but no other physical damage.
    The TPMS was ruined, the fender liner was loose and the bottom of the front fender was bent, probably from the tire slapping it.
    I went to the dealer to get the new tire and TPMS.
    After mounting the tire, I drove it to the dealer turn off all the dash warning lights. There were 8 of them, plus the odometer/trip/distance to empty were not displaying when the car was running.
    Biggest problem turned out to be a damaged wheel speed sensor. That took care of 5 or 6 warning lights. The rest were resolved by resetting the the computer.
    She was lucky to get out of it for about $460.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    edited February 2013
    Continued from the other thread...

Louisville, KY
    2003 BMW 540i
    4 door sedan
    4.4 liter V8, 5-speed shiftable automatic
    RWD
    92,000 miles
    Slate Green exterior (rare color) / black interior with black headliner
    Standard equipment including leather, sunroof, etc.; M-sport package, park distance control (not working), heated front seats
    A couple of door dings and scratches. Normal exterior wear for a 10 year old car. Rock chips have been touched up. Curb damage on three wheels. Interior looks good but still has some smell of tobacco pipe from previous owner.
    Almost new matching Kumho Ecsta tires.
    New front brakes and rotors; new rear rotors (pads about 70%).
    Lots of new parts; still has a few typical E39 problems.
    All factory paint.

Looking for an asking price for a private party sale. It seems like these are all over the map.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Can I guess?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Guess a price or reason for selling? :P

Feel free to take a stab at the price. My reason for wanting to sell is probably the same as yours. :sick:
    I'd say about $12,900 asking, and a private party sale price of around $12K..

Dealer trade-in? $9500 (maybe less.. ten year old car)..

I don't follow the 540i too much, though.... just extrapolating from other E39s with smaller engines..

If you had the 6-speed, you could probably sell it fairly quickly to an enthusiast..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Say, ky, isn't your son looking for a newer car? ;)
    You're looking at $6k trade-in. And that's if they don't spot all the errors.

They are definitely all over the map. Its typically the difference between enthusiast owned and just another used car. What you can get for yours is really going to depend on all those needed repairs. Its an auto, which actually makes it worth LESS in the enthusiast community. I'd probably be starting at $9500, but be prepared to take quite a bit less if it gets a PPI.

Thanks, qb! kyfdx's price had me all optimistic. :cry:
    LOL... yeah, that's just what a 19 yr old needs... 290 HP..

But, he is a stickshift snob, now.... no slushboxes need apply... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hey... I said $9500, maybe less...

It was less..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I was trying follow up on the 'stolen Audi' and
    found this story.
    :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    How do you not notice a freaking car in your garage!? :D
  • n405wnn405wn Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    Hi guys,

I'm currently looking at a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LT CPO with 35,000 miles. Dealer is asking 15,000 for it, but I figure I should be able to negotiate that down to 13,500 based on current trade-in values for the car. What do you guys think? Thanks for any help!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited February 2013
    You're not going to get an answer until you supply as much of the information at the bottom of this page as possible. Auction values vary all over the place based on location and many of the other factors listed.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    edited February 2013
    They are going across the block in the low $12s. I have NO idea what is involved in Chevy's CPO process. If the warranty costs them... say $800-$1k... then they are likely into the car for your target price, if not a little more.

I'd say $15k is likely fair, possibly even a good deal, but no harm in trying to get it lower.

If you give me more details, maybe even a link to the car(?), its possible I can give you a more accurate value.

• robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    My local no haggle lot has a few 2012 Cruze LTs with 9000-13000 miles priced from 15500-16000.

In the burgh.

Not sure how much I would value the CPO on a Chevy.
    Results: $7,850.00 for the 540i as a trade-in. I bought their car for $600 over TMV, so there was definitely some over-allowance on my clapped out old BMW. I'm happy with the deal overall, it was a smooth transaction without any gimmicks. :D

Thanks for your help!
    edited February 2013
    congrats. good luck with the VW.

edited February 2013
    Trying to get an idea of value for my Dad's Mustang...here are the details:

2011 Ford Mustang GT Premium Coupe
    Black over Saddle Leather Interior
    24k Miles
    6spd
    Premium Package
    Brembo Package (Larger wheels and Brembo brakes)
    Xenons
    Interior lighting package
    Heated Seats
    Navigation
    Bluetooth
    Satellite Radio

No runs/hits/errors - washed and waxed regularly, garage kept. Brand new Tires about 2k miles ago. All synthetic oil changes.

Philadelphia Area

What would trade-in be vs. realistic private party sale price?
    About $23k on a trade. They vary quite a bit, and some are a good bit less, but I'm giving you top of the range since it has Navi and the 6-speed (which are stronger than automatics in this case).

Private? I suppose I'd expect a $26,995 asking price and eventual selling at anything $25k or better. Of course, I'd wait for the snow season to stop. ;)

• imjuspiayinimjuspiayin Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2013
    Hello, I have a 2010 Acura RDX that I leased and am looking to use the equity in the lease toward a new vehicle. Looking to find the trade-in value. Details are as follows:

Northern NJ Area (Bergen County)
    2010 Acura RDX AWD (No Tech Package/No Extra Options)
    SUV
    4 Cylinder Turbo
    SH-AWD
    28,500 Miles
    Exterior: Silver
    Interior: Gray
    No added options
    Interior is in very good conditions. Not smoked in, no tears in leather, just light scratches on plastic surfaces.
    Exterior has several surface scratches/dings, but no serious damage. Vehicle never in an accident.
    Tires likely have about 20% tread left until replacement.
    Brakes are original.
    All oil changes completed on time at Acura. No other maintenance.
    No prior damage or accidents.

Thank you!
    Thanks Q - sounds about right.

He has things narrowed down to either an 08 BMW 550i 6spd with 50k miles, or an 08 Audi S5 6spd with similar mileage. The S5 runs more, but is AWD which in Philly is worth something. Granted, if the weather is that bad, it won't be leaving the garage either way and the Touraeg will be the vehicle of choice.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    Good evening q! I once again need your most valuable help. My Father In Law's lease is coming up at the end of May. He's actually planning on purchasing his next Outback (he's currently on his 3rd), so I'm trying to get an idea on it's value, so I can send him to a dealership to make a fantastic deal (for him). Here are the gory details:

2010 Subaru Outback Premium
    2.5L 4cyl Boxer Engine
    CVT
    Baby Blue Exterior
    Black Cloth Interior
    Cold Weather Package
    Sunroof
    42,000 miles
    Tires are original
    one wheel has some curb rash
    "dirty" car fax - a large portion of the car ($10,000 worth) was repaired due to hail damage. The body work is excellent & even a keen eye would have a hard time telling the car has been painted. The exterior is a 9/10
    Interior is a 9/10

Thanks as always for your help!

Bradd

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

low miles but in need of some love. You are probably looking at somewhere between $21-22k.

oy! A curveball here. A CLEAN one is $16.5-17k. At that repair price, are we talking full repaint here? Its a pretty steep bill, and the dirty carfax is the clincher. Tough to know what any one dealer will think of it. Don't be surprised at offers in the $14k range.

• sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I would think that is an excellent choice to turn and burn.
    OK, thanks for the "real deal" info as always. I'll have to check to see what his buyout is, then advise him to probably just turn the car in when the lease is up & buy his new one then.

The 2010 Outback is his 4th. He had an '06, then an '08 LL Bean. His '08 got totaled and then he leased his current '10.

I've got an eye for shoddy body work & whoever repainted his car did a fantastic job.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited February 2013
    well, its not necessarily a matter of shoddy (I mean, obviously a bad job would be a bigger hit). Nonfactory paint is nonfactory paint, no matter how good.

• jtptoyo2011jtptoyo2011 Member Posts: 13
    If you can help me price my Camry I'd appreciate it.
    I'm in Charlotte, NC
    2011/Camry XLE
    4doorSedan
    V6Automatic
    Miles a little under 21300
    Magnetic Gray with ash leather interior maintained with saddle soap so no wear
    One owner non smoker no accidents excellent condition
    Keyless start, Navigation in dash, backup camera, heated dual seats, trunk and floor mats, satellite ready.
    Dealerships have offered as low as 17 and highest 18,500. It is listed on Craigslist for 23,900 retail.
    Thank you
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    >> Dealerships have offered as low as 17 and highest 18,500. It is listed on Craigslist for 23,900 retail.

I think you got your answer right there.

Unless you enjoy the craigslist trolls, what's the point of asking $24?

This is solid car; dealers will happily put in on their lot. And good inventory is hard to find -- the trade-in offers are low, sure, but they're not crazy. They want your car, the $18,5 guy may think he needs your car.

qbrozen will probably let you know what they do at auction.

My guess is $20 on a private sale is all the money.

You're playing to a select audience here: Cheapskates with liquidity. People who don't care about bling or brand but have $20 to blow on a used car. They can buy absolutely anything, you want them to buy a fully decked-out... Camry. The only selling point here is value, and the only thing you got to work with is the numerator.

A new leftover '12 can probably be bought for $28 or less after incentives. If I were interested in a car like that, I'd need a serious discount.

Good luck,
    -Mathias
    Steine13.
    Thanks for your reply. I understand that we are in another model year and there are undriven 2012s out there. No truer words about Craigslist. Lots of scammers seems like. Nothing legite or serious. I knew I was going to take a depreciation hit and all that. The SE and LE are abundant but not the XLE. I hadn't planned on selling the car so soon after purchasing but life happens. I don't have to have 23900 but I'll suffer through for 18500.
    edited February 2013
    $18,500 is definitely the dealer who wants it on their lot because most with those miles are going for under $18k at auction. Even $17k is strong, honestly, so it must be really nice. Even the $18,500 buyer is probably going to list it for $23k on the high end and take $21k if pushed.

If I were tolerant enough to private sell such a car, I'd be at $21,995 asking, at the most, and the first buyer with $20k takes it home. Anything less than that and I'd rather sell it to the dealer to save alot of hassle.

I've been following him on another forum. The $18,500 he got was from CAR MAX. I told him he could maybe squeeze another $500 out of a dealer if he were trading in or maybe a private sale.

• pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    edited February 2013
    Year/Make/Model: 2011 hyundai Sonata GLS
    Body Style: 4 door sedan
    Engine: 2.4l, 4 cyl, direct injection, 6-speed auto
    Driveline: FWD
    Mileage: 18000 (very low)
    Color: Dark blue
    Major Options: power driver seat, alloys, auto lights
    Condition: excellent, non-smoker, one owner (lease)

I researched the 3 standard online appraisers (kbb, edm, nada) and the price range is quite wide. Anywhere from 13.0 to 16.0 for trade-in. My lease is up in 2 months and i want to know if i have any positive equity...THX
    Believe it or not, those miles aren't uncommon. There have been 19 2011 GLSs with under 20k miles in just the past week. All are right around $14k. So I'm afraid you'd be looking at $13k trade .... maybe up to 14 from the right dealer.

So I didn't do myself any favors by paying for the XLE and the added bells and whistles? UGH...that's disheartening. So much for Toyotas holding value. Which is why I bought the car.
    I guess that's my reality check. Thanks
    Fancy options don't:

* tech gets dated quickly
    * maps get old, buyers worry if they're current

Generally a loaded model will have a lower residual than a middle-line model.
    Well...lesson learned. Thanks
    Yours is not that old, but a while ago I shopped for used cars with the very early GPS systems, and the resolution on them was laughable comparing to what is out today.

Funny thing is back then Navi was a $2000 option. Today the option costs about half as much plus you get better systems.

Toyota has Entune but even their new ones are not exactly state of the art. I think Chrysler's 8" screen gets the best feedback, plus Hyundai/Kia have UVO with a solid state drive and excellent responsiveness as well.