Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    I'd go for this vehicle personally, but the kid has told you and you keep asking...her answer is always the same here. Methinks y'all want the vehicle and aren't listening here,,,make the kid happy and get her what SHE wants because trust me, in a few weeks or so y'all are going to find something else to purchase. Or better yet, purchase this for yourselves and get her what she wants and then cut an older one from the herd. It is time to move on this already!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    I'm going to do you a favor and not tell you. Kid wants a Jetta. Don't make another mistake. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Makes sense Sandy, and you're definitely right that we (my wife and I) like the car. We did have a non-persuasive talk with her last night where she stated she likes the Audi better, but that since she also liked the Jetta, she figured we should save the money (nice girl). When we told her that financially there was little or no difference between the two, she admitted she liked the Audi.

I shared this on CCBA, but since I started it here, I'll quickly share some results from our shopping this past weekend, taking into account Q's advice:

The Jetta we liked (2010 Jetta LE, 29k miles) came to a deal of our Hyundai plus $1,500. We were working with the manager we know well, so feel comfortable this was their best offer (and they let us walk). That was compared to Q's advice of $1,000 BACK to us for the deal.

We saw the Audi A3 at the Acura dealer while we were checking out the TSX. After some back and forth, we got to a deal of our Hyundai plus $1,000 for the A3 (2008 FWD, Auto, 37k miles).

Not to say we couldn't find a better deal on a Jetta, but the deal on the Audi seems to be a better relative value.

Thanks for the feedback!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Awww - c'mon.

Am I to take that as it is indeed a good deal on the Audi? : )

edited October 2013
    I hadn't even looked before.

Miles are ultra-low compared to the others that have gone through. Closest had 48k miles and reported as above average. That got $14k. The only blue one had 74k and got $13,600.

so I think it is a real strong offer.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Alright - thanks for the info and the advice.

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Get the Audi and you weed out all the broke college boys, too. ;)
  • robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    Thinking we might get a 3rd car/toy over the winter. Anyway, would like a convertible with a back seat. My wife likes BMWs. So, what do you think a 2008 128i convertible (either a stick or slusbox) goes for with reasonable miles 50,000-60,000. In Pittsburgh, could we expect to get it for under 18,000?

Is the Mini Convertible a better buy at this price point? Am I missing something out there?
    Of course, there are many choice out there, but if your wife likes BMWs, then it seems you may have no choice.

Might not be alot of choose from in Pittsburgh. Winter would be the time to buy it, though. I see a few with mileage in the 50k-70k range in the warmer states that are right around $15k at the block, so your pricepoint could be had from the right dealer at the right time.

Personally, I'd probably take a look at the EOS, too. I'm not sure of the reliability of the folding hardtop, but there are several right around that same auction value for '08s, but with lower miles, such as a silver one with 41k that went through PA recently. This is a 4-cyl Luxury model, BTW. The Komfort model is quite a bit cheaper. That one in PA with 67k only got $11k.

Another favorite of mine is the Volvo C70. Again, you get the hardtop, but you get a more generous back seat. Might be a tad more expensive, depending on the options. I see one with 58k that got $15,500, but one with 52k that hit $17k.

Thanks Q. My wife is afraid of VWs after my GTI. Seriously, how could the glove box break?

I agree there aren't a ton of any of these out there right now in the Burgh.

We will need a 3rd car next summer. Our options are to buy one of these or lease something small and fun.

Thanks again.
  • jprocjproc Member Posts: 135
    I've also been thinking about a convert and looking at the 08 128 and EOS. However they both get pretty bad reliability ratings from consumer reports. Any insight on that?

They are both sweet looking rides but an unreliable foreign car is a looming money disaster.
    edited October 2013
    I have read of some folding top issues with the EOS. No idea what's wrong with the 128. My 135 was problematic, but that's a different animal, as all the problems were engine related.

thx. I've really got the urge to get another convert-drove em for about 15 years and miss having one
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Living down here in South Florida, a drop top is the perfect vehicle, especially as a 3rd which is something I'd love actually. Convincing the other half would be the problem but I see many in Autotrader that really hit the mark. Like the BMW's also and could probably pick up a very nice one for a decent price I'd suspect and realize that they can get to be a money pit if one picks the wrong one. I'm always looking so if I do find one, and convince the other half, I definitely would jump!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Do you actually plan to use that back seat?

I shopped arounda lot and the cars you mention couldn't even fit my pre-teen kids.

I gave up and got a Miata. The Chrysler is an option, and the Audi A5 is decent. The rest are penalty boxes, especially the Mini and 1 series.
    My kids are pretty small (6 and 5) so we would/could use a tiny back seat. Basically we would put them back there to drive to the pool. Which is about 5 minutes from our house. Otherwise, the car would be driven to work by either my wife or me.

A neighbor just got a Miata as a toy. And a Miata would be great since it would fit in our garage easily. However, it would be nice if the family could ride in the "toy" every so often.
    How about an older 3-series 'vert? I picked one up earlier this year - an '05 330ci. Mine has 74k miles, but there are others out there in the 50k's or even lower. Generally being a "toy" car, it's not too hard to find one with low miles.

My 8 and 10 year old boys can ride in the back seat for an "around-town" trip. In fact, they're pretty comfortable - at 6' 3", I'm the one who's punished, since I have to put my seat so far forward.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    With kids that young, you don't want to go too fast with them in the back.
    Get a Mustang V8, sounds great even when driving slow. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    basic boring Corolla. AT. about 102K on it. Nice and clean, good body, tires, like new inside. Doesn't have any needs. Once detailed will show spiffy. Light mint green with a light interior. In NY burbs.

Looking for a retail #, not going to be traded in.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Selling or buying?

If you are selling... well, its a Corolla. It would trade for $3500-$4k, auction for $5k, and hit a dealer's lot probably for $8995. I'd be bold and try for $7995, but, when push comes to shove, cutting it loose for $6k has to be an option.

• mattiezacmattiezac Member Posts: 2
    Trying to sell an '81 280zx, 52,3xx , 5spd, 2 seater. Car has been garaged kept for 15 years. Was hit and partially repainted 20 years ago. T-tops don't leak, everything electric works, tires,brakes,battery and altenator all new. Runs great, no odd noises or fluid leaks. It was a gift to my kids, we need something more logical for them. Any idea of a trade in or retail if I sell it myself? THANKS!!
    it would be selling. Thanks for the info. Just wanted to have a baseline in case it becomes an issue.

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Maybe I'm getting cheap in my old age, but at ten years and one hundred k miles, six big ones is already a stretch. $7995 even as an asking price is not realistic.

Though... In THIS market, who knows..

-Mathias
    Seemed ambitious to me. But, he is the master. And it is a Yota, so people do silly things.

It is what it is. If dealers are paying $5k at auction... well, there ya have it.

Its worthless as a trade. You HAVE to sell this yourself. Really totally depends on how it shows. With those miles, the fans will be all over it.

I couldn't even guess as to a number. Check the Z boards and look at what folks are asking for others and price it accordingly.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Might also give Shifty a shout over on the Classic Cars board:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee92042/

Could be out of his range of expertise, but he deals with a lot of oddball vehicles.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sunny48sunny48 Member Posts: 24
    What would a fully loaded Prius IV be worth as a trade in? Edmunds site will not allow me to use it to find out. It's not working. Kelly Blue Book says its worth $16,000 even with 58,000 miles on it. The dealer says its only worth $13,000 which I think is too low.

Thanks in advance.

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Prius 4
    Body Style: hatchback
    Engine: hybrid 4 cylinder
    Driveline:
    Mileage: 58,000
    Color: black/ dark grey
    Major Options: solar roof package, Navigation system, Sirus radio, hand-free phone, back up camera, safety connect, illuminated sills, Preferred accessory pkg, leather heated seats

Condition: very good, never had body work, no dents or dings
    clean inside
    Tires - new 2013
    Brakes - good
    Maintenance - well maintained at one dealership,
    Other: no damage or insurance claims
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    What are you looking swap into?
    It might help to know what brand you are looking at.
    Your car seems like a pretty good trade in.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I'm looking at a new Prius V, either a 2013 or 2014. We were offered a 2013 for $30,005 MSRP with the Advanced Tec package for $4,320 and a few other options for a total of $35,427, including delivery. A promotion offers 0% financing, which we have already and like.

KBB says our current Prius should be worth $16,000 for a trade in, while we are only being offered 13,000. The dealer says we could get into the new car for nothing down and a $60 higher monthly payment, but I think we are being taken on the value of our trade in.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    "The dealer says we could get into the new car for nothing down and a $60 higher monthly payment, but I think we are being taken on the value of our trade in."

Danger, Will Robinson! If you're looking at the monthly payment rather than the individual components, they're probably taking you on the trade in, interest rate, and various other bogus fees.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Also I see you're quoting MSRP but surely that's not the selling price. Right??
    I suspect so. We called this morning at 9:05 to tell the dealer that unless we got a better deal we were no longer interested. We told them the KBB price and I have also gotten a NADA price which was $1500 higher. The salesman said he'd speak to his manager. We haven't heard back. I'll be calling a some other dealers.
    Sadly, that is what was given to my hubby who's an honest, straight forward guy, just the sort a dealership can take advantage of. I've asked him not to agree to anything until we did some research.
    It is a bit low, although I'm not terribly surprised at their number given the glut of them on the used market. They should, however, be able to give $14k for it. $13k is a "below average condition" number, so it sounds like they are just trying to play it safe rather than "take you for a ride."

just going by the truecar.com number, $3k off MSRP should be your minimum goal for the new one.

Interesting that there is a glut as my husband was sent a letter saying they needed used Priuses and are offering 0% financing if he traded in for a new one. I guess it was just a come on which only makes their low trade in offer smart more. The car looks new inside and out, has never had any body work done and is definitely not in "average" condition or of average value as it is fully loaded, not a basic model.
    I guess it was just a come on

Yes, it was. A very very common promotion. I get at least one of those a week, and most are for vehicles I don't even own anymore.

• sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Very common promotion as mentioned....and VERY successful. I had a coworker get sucked into this awhile back...promo said they needed her Pontiac G6. Sure they do!!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    I got one recently stating they NEED my Infiniti G35 as a trade-in. It was totaled in December 2010, so they are welcome to it, though I suspect by now it's more of a "compact" sedan.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Really, really compact. :D
    That's hilarious!
    Heck I recently got one that the desperately needed my 14 yr old minivan.
    I got one a couple of weeks ago for my 9-mo-old leased Leaf. Something about them paying full original MSRP.*

Ok, so you want to pay me $35k for a vehicle that you can't currently give away new versions of? Riiigght.

*Excludes specialty vehicles. [pretty confident they'd consider my Leaf a specialty vehicle]

• hbtrojanhbtrojan Member Posts: 10
    Hi all,
    Wanted to get everyone's opinon on this deal. Also, on the carfax, in about 15 months the previous owner put on 30,000 miles. Should I be concerned about that?

Carfax here: http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=CBT_4&vin=WDDHF5GB5BA3- 94992&cs:rv=2tPbSxfBxH135lvkvxMwYrf1h2RWpN09G1npL7BxpMz37SVZM3r2

2011 Mercedes e350
    4dr
    3.5 liter 6 cylinder
    RWD
    34,000 miles
    silver
    P1 package and AMG sport package

asking $32k

Good deal?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I wouldn't. I'm guessing it was a 39 month lease based on the dates and the owner either changed jobs or moved hence the higher miles in the last 15 months.
  • koctailzkoctailz Member Posts: 87
    I am looking at both of the above. What would be good/fair targets for pricing on these. The A4 would be the base model FrontTrak CVT and the BMW would be with premium package.

Also, is there a best time of year to buy used/CPO vehicles? Time when most vehicles come off lease possibly...I am thinking summer? I can wait on my purchase so that is why I ask.
    Thanks everyone. Just got a new Prius. The five, and ended up getting $14,200 as a trade in value.
    Ok. Good. Now, you didn't pay MSRP for the new one, right?

Well, its the right color. I don't know what the hell a P1 package is. Hopefully that means leather and moonroof.

As long as it has those things, the price is actually a good one for CPO. Even for non-CPO, my target on the car would be $30-31k. So only ~$1500 more for CPO is good.