Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler Town and Country EX/LX/LXi/Limited

Comments

• Options
    joselagojoselago Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 2002 t&c and think I am having the same problem. The first night we had it (bought it used, 43,000 miles) driving home I noticed the headlights get a bit brighter and then "blink" out. My wife thought I hit a button or some control since the vehicle was unfamiliar to me. Last night it happened again.

Did the fix you reported take care of the problem? How much did it cost? Seems like this may be a recall item if others have had it also?

Otherwise, we've had it for two weeks and love it.
  • Options
    joselagojoselago Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 2002 t&c and think I am having the same problem. The first night we had it (bought it used, 43,000 miles) driving home I noticed the headlights get a bit brighter and then "blink" out. My wife thought I hit a button or some control since the vehicle was unfamiliar to me. Last night it happened again.

Did the fix you reported take care of the problem? How much did it cost? Seems like this may be a recall item if others have had it also?

Otherwise, we've had it for two weeks and love it.
  • Options
    obliviousoblivious Member Posts: 1
    If Mercedes were going to make a minivan, they could just re-badge the T&C. I really think they are that nice. We love our current one - a charcoal '99 Limited that we bought just a week ago.

Unfortunately, because of my wife's knack for getting in front of bad drivers, it's our 3rd T&C in the last year. Our last two were rear-ended and subsequently totalled. Our green '96 T&C (99k) was sandwiched in October one week prior to my wife giving birth. Our purple '96 LXi (120k) was rear ended 6 weeks ago. Both of these vans were in what I would consider to be excellent looking & functioning condition. We loved both of them.

Our latest van (w/ 69k) looks spectacular in/out, but underneath it lies a few strange problems I'm only now becoming aware of:

--Reverse Lights won't light up (already replaced bulbs)
    --Courtesy Lights (interior) don't come on when driver's door opens (all other doors light them)
    --The temperature on the trip computer doesn't work (just says "0C")
    --The driver's window switch when pressed down intermittently doesn't function and whines (up always works, as does auto down)
    --The driver's side power mirror goes every direction except down (moves manually though)
    --Front end (mainly driver's side) seems really noisy over speed bumps. Shocks/Struts? CV joint(s)?

Any help/ideas or previous experience with the electrical issues I'm having would be greatly appreciated.

btw - On a side note, anyone else think the styling took a step backwards during the redesign in 2001?
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    Do all speakers make the pop sound? If it's only one, it's probably a bad connection between the stereo and that speaker.
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Get the service manuals on EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    fordsyfordsy Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 01 LXI AWD last week. Seems to be a great vehicle except for the radio, which started acting up the day after that I got it. It will be working ok and all of a sudden it will quit and a slight popping sound can be heard from the speakers. I try turning it off and on and it makes no differance. The digital radio/clock just blinks. I have tried pulling over and turning the vehicle off and back on and sometimes it works and sometimes not. I talked to a local Chrysler Service Manager and after consulting with his techs, he called and said it needs a new raido. It is hard for me to beleive that it needs a new radio!
  • Options
    hwilsonhwilson Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 T&C 3.3 minivan that recently was serviced with a new compressor. The front air conditioning works great, but the rear ac is not working - blows warm air. Is this a condensor problem or is there something that the mechanic might have overlooked when recharging the system.

Any help/ideas or previous experience with the electrical issues I'm having would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    stubborn1stubborn1 Member Posts: 85
    Hi all,

Just became the owner of a new-to-us 2003 T&C LX last weekend. I have a few questions hopefully you can help with.

1. Are there any good maintenance schedules listed on the net? The van didn't have an owner's manual (buying one off Ebay), so I'm at a loss for recommended procedures.

2. I hear and feel a clunk in the front end when going over bumpy pavement. Seems like a bad bushing or maybe a ball joint problem. Are there any particular components that are well known to fail in the front end?

3. How does the 3.8L handle light towing? I have a pop-up camper that I may choose to pull with the van a few times this summer. I'm assuming the van doesn't have an external tranny cooler so I'll probably add one for protection.

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    1. Are there any good maintenance schedules listed on the net? The van didn't have an owner's manual (buying one off Ebay), so I'm at a loss for recommended procedures.

You can buy an owner's manual from Chrysler. There also is a place there to contact Chrysler for questions.

http://www.chrysler.com/owners/index.html
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    stubborn1, you can call up a maintenance schedule and technical service bulletins by going to Edmunds.com and clicking on the "Tips and Advice" tab at the top of the screen. Fill in the information for your vehicle and you'll have the info you need.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    stubborn1stubborn1 Member Posts: 85
    Thanks for the link.

I forgot that Edmunds had the maintenance section on the website. Good information there.

One weird thing though, I selected our van from the list which is the LX version, but it wouldn't let me change my engine selection from the 3.3L to the 3.8L. Did very few LX trim models have the 3.8L engine? I've opened the hood and checked the VIN to verify I have the 3.8.
  • Options
    Maybe try searching for LXi?

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Options
    lxpatellxpatel Member Posts: 34
    My Friend has 97 Town and Country, he drove to from San Francisco to New Mexico, 1100 miles, when he stopped at gas station while his cars is idling his temperature gauge goes all the way up to H and the cooling fan did not kick on, but when van is in motion it returns to normal.

If this is a problem of cooling fan relay where is it?

Took it to a mechanic, they said the water pump is gone, after installing $75 thermostat. :confuse:
  • Options
    masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Check the fuses for the cooling fan. If the water pump was gone, there should have been some leak and the coolant level should be low. If it only runs hot when sitting still or in city driving, and not on the high way, then your problem is the cooling fan. You might want to ask your question in the Maintenance Forum under cooling system I think. :shades:
  • Options
    badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I don't know if it applied to the 1997 model year, but there definitely was a recall on the cooling fan relays/sensors on 1996 Caravans, as mine was part of that recall. He might want to check out if the recall applies and was it ever performed on his vehicle.
  • Options
    blk7404blk7404 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a used Town & Country in the 03-05 range. I want something with leather and a DVD. Where can I go to compare the EX, LXI, and Limited for differences for each year? I am just trying to figure which model I am most interested in. Also, is the 05 the only model year with fold-flat seating? I thought the rear seat folded flat in other years, but only in 05 did the middle seats fold flat.
  • Options
    badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    2005 model year is the first with Stow and Go in which seats can be folded flat into the floor. 2005 models were introduced early in calendar year 2004, however, so there may be a few used ones on the market.

Prior to that, you could fold both second and third row seat backs flat onto the cushion, but could not fold the seat into the floor. Both rows were removable, but quite heavy.

So, it depends on how you define "fold flat".
  • Options
    According to today's paper, Chrysler minivans sold an all time high for the month of May, along with the Chrysler 300.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    It's well deserved!!!! It's a great van!!
  • Options
    scrappiescrappie Member Posts: 1
    My wife called me from Office Max to say our 1997 T & C LXi would not start and that it was making all kinds of clicking noises. After convincing her to cease all attempts to start the vehicle, I load up the kids and go after her. When I got there, I was surprised to discover the OEM battery still in there. After 8 years, I'd say it was time for it to die. So I head down to the auto parts store and buy a new battery. Not thinkng anything of it, I switch out the batteries and she fires right up. The strange part is that the LED lights for the A/C switches and the rear wiper switches now blink continuously. In addition, the CD player (after market) now beeps when the car is turned off. Everything works fine, but I could do without the light show. What did I screw up and is the fix going to be painful?

The owner's manual was of no help and this stumped the pros at the parts store.

Side note - the friendly folds at Advance Auto Parts checked both the old battery and alternator and it appears only the battery was at fault
  • Options
    fsmdfsmd Member Posts: 3
    Our '01 AWD LXI which we have had since '01 has the same problem...and now the radio is . $350 to replace? Did your problem get resolved or fixed?
  • Options
    fsmdfsmd Member Posts: 3
    Our '01 AWD LXI has the clunk problem...has had bushings and sway bar replaced 3 times and the problem persists...Any progress on your end?
  • Options
    Please Help!!! I have a dealer vehicle that when the front
    wiring harness (along the front of the trans and goes up to
    fuse box) gets wet it will shut off some accessories, but if
    you leave the power button for the A/C on everything will work
    but will cut out. I can leave the power button for the A/C off
    and have narrowed the wiring harness down to a 1 foot section
    that if you hold the wires together and spray with a garden
    hose the radio and other accessories will shut off, if I try
    to seperate the wires and spray them in smaller groups the
    problem will not occur. I can hold all the wires together and
    spray in the same spot and make everything quit every time. I
    followed the harness up to the fuse box and various computers
    in that area and nothing looks wet or water damaged. If you
    wiggle the wires it will not cause the short to happen, only
    when it gets wet (heavy rain or car wash) and almost every
    time. Also, multiple wires have already been repaired by
    another shop, which is probably why the vehicle was traded in.
    Am I missing something or does this vehicle need a new wiring
    harness??? Thanks again for the help.

___________________ TEST AND REPAIR DATA ___________________

TESTING AND RESULTS

Accessorie relay turns off - Both power terminals always have
    power

RELATED REPAIR HISTORY

Multiple wires have been repaired by another shop to correct
    the problem.

____________________________ FIX ___________________________

Thanks to all that replied to this problem. We did get the
    vehicle fixed. As no 'one' wire was the problem we took your
    advise and really protected the wiring with as much tape as
    the part store would sell us. Customer declined replacing the
    PDC and the wiring harness, against our strong
    recommendations. The vehicle is fixed and customer is happy,
    at least for now. Hope this may help others.

Hope this will help some.
  • Options
    radiatorradiator Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. Has anyone figured out what needs to be fixed. I have had in the dealer and nobody can fix. Always comes back.
  • Options
    radiatorradiator Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. Has anyone figured out what needs to be fixed. I have had in the dealer and nobody can fix. Always comes back. It seems to always start when I put a jump or trickle charger on.
  • Options
    familymanvanfamilymanvan Member Posts: 1
    HELLO I AM HAVING THE SAME ISSUE WITH MY 98 T/C, I WAS WONDERING IF YOU HAD FOUND OUT ANYTHING OR IF ANYONE ELSE HAS ANY INFO THAT MIGHT LEAD TO THE PROBLEM WITH MY VAN. THANKS TO ALL THAT MIGHT HELP.
  • Options
    Welcome to the Forums, familymanvan! This Forum is for discussing the features, attributes, etc. of the Chrysler Town and Country, rather than its problems. You might want to post in the Electronic Gremlins: Electrical Problems that are driving you crazy Forum, or in the Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems Forums, where you're more likely to find other T&C owners who've had the same problem and have found a solution.

By the way, please don't type in ALL CAPS -- people will think you're yelling at them.

• Options
    kevinkinvakevinkinva Member Posts: 5
    My 2000 T&C has consumed some coolant since I purchased it new. I'm starting to really get on the dealer about this (35K miles now), as it is not a steam engine. I have an extended warranty. What specifically did they find in your engine, and how did they diagnose it? There's no leakage on mine, and pressure tests show everything is normal, but it's obviously not. Thanks.
  • Options
    michael24michael24 Member Posts: 1
    To bri67: How long ago was the switch on yours replaced, that is, how long has it been working fine since replacing it? I have this same problem. It has happened 3 times in a year. The first 2 times, after waiting an hour, all was fine. But this morning it did it for the 3rd time. Start, then shut itself right off. Then 3 or 4 interations of that, and it will no longer start, just click once. I hear the fuel pump run when it should. Normally this noise is masked by the sound of the engine starting. Battery is fine. All comments welcomed.

The dealer told me this morning that putting the key in the driver's door and turning it left, then right is supposed to reset the security system. It didn't help me. But I am convinced that this car thinks I am a car thief and it isnt letting me get away with it. (I appreciate that feature, but I OWN this thing) :-)

BTW, mine is a 1999 T&C Limited
  • Options
    fordsyfordsy Member Posts: 2
    I put a new radio in it and all is well.....chrysler has an exchange program, so they took my old radio in return. I had it installed about 3 weeks ago and it seems to be working fine.
  • Options
    Welcome to the Forums,. westfork!

This area is for discussing the features, attributes, etc. of the Town & Country EX/LX/LXi/Limited. I've moved your post to the Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth Minivans discussion here:
    westfork, "Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth Minivan Problems" #2912, Jun 23, 2005 (9:52 pm) . To see the responses to your post, just click the link.

• Options
    rktechrktech Member Posts: 25
    Look folks, I don't mean to get off on a rant...BUT...

...I like Chrysler mostly because they offer the absolute BEST DEALS !! Honestly, when the lease on my 2001 was due, they were just about giving away the '04's...

... but I digress...

I'm now looking at a Honda Odyssey.

I know, shame shame...
    BUT I have elderly inlaws riding in back, and they like the idea of moveable 2nd row seats...they like the idea of full sized comfort in the 2nd row. Forget the fact that you can Stow-N-Go any damn thing...which, by the way, I don't have...but I would if I knew it was on the brink of hitting the market right before I purchased my '04...but again, I digresss...

Not to mention my sun...oh no...moonroof...leaks...

C'mon Daimler...you can get your act together here in the States long enough to make this market segment smile from ear to ear....c'mon, I know you can !!...
  • Options
    I'm now looking at a Honda Odyssey.

I'd say if Ody best fits your needs, buy it.
  • Options
    leuleu Member Posts: 1
    I've just got a T&C from 2000 and I didn't receive the owner manual. Could somebody tells me where can I find one?
    What for is the sensor which is located on interior mirror?
  • Options
    I think you can still get one from Chrysler for that year. They do sell owner's manuals.

http://www.chrysler.com/owners/index.html
  • Options
    jeff67jeff67 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get your T&C fixed? I am having the exact same issue and the Dealer has no clue what is wrong.

Thanks!
  • Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    I am too. I love my 2002 T&C LX except for uncomfortable seats. The driver's, front passenger, and 2nd row Quad seats have too much wrap around the body which makes me feel hot. Cushions are as bad as the seat back.
    On the other hand, the 3rd row 50/50 split seat is much more comfortable. The 3rd row seat of my T&C is the only seat that is as comfortable as the Odyssey counterpart.
    The overhead console with outside temperature/compass and trip computer is very nice as are lighted controls on both front doors, separately controlled temperature for driver, front passenger, and rear passengers (Triple Zone Temperature Control) but the seats give me a back ache with no support for my lower back.
    The Odyssey seats are more like the bench seats of years gone by and the Odyssey also has a flat floor for more foot comfort. ;)
  • Options
    Welcome to the Forums, rrichers! This Forum is for the discussion of the features, attributes, etc. of the T&C, so I've moved your question here:
    Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth Minivan Problems, post #2931 discussion. To see your post and its responses, click on the link.

• Options
    Hi, blaabs,

I've moved your post to the Dodge/Chrysler Minivan Problems discussion, where other T&C owners who may have had the same problem can advise you:

Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth Minivan Problems, post #2944

To see your post and its replies, click on the link above.

• Options
    Posts concerning problems with the T&C have been moved here:

Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth Minivan Problems

• Options
    sugardogsugardog Member Posts: 41
    I own a 2004 T&C Touring (extended)
    Does anyone out there know where a jack point is to jack up the whole front
    end with a floor jack? How about a point to jack up the whole rear end
    with a floor jack?

Sam.
  • Options
    sugardogsugardog Member Posts: 41
    I answered my own question by calling the dealer.
    The tech at the dealer told me I could place the jack under the front end where
    the motor mount is attached to a cross member.
    Also, in the rear, under the crossmember which goes across the rear end
    and is connected to both rear wheels.
    I know that sometimes Chrysler tech reps may monitor this forum.
    If any reads this, do you agree?
    Sam.
  • Options
    smhsmh Member Posts: 1
    I had the same happen to me after the body computer was replaced. The lights go out in about 15 min. and everything works fine after that, but nobody can tell me what the problem is. If you or someone else has any info on this I would like to know.
  • Options
    Hi, Slowhand,

This area is for discussion the features, attributes, etc. of the T&C, so I've moved your posts here:
    Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems, post #3035 You're more likely to get feedback from other owners who have had problems. Just click the link above to see your post and its answers. Good luck!

• Options
    Hi, smh,

Try asking your question in the Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems discussion.

• Options
    wpcwhitewpcwhite Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an '05 T&C Touring, one of the WP Chrysler signature series. It does not have the daytime running lights and want to know if this can be added without much hassle. I'm in California and am used to the DRL's since my other vehicles are GM.

Jim
  • Options
    hershbergerhershberger Member Posts: 4
    on my 2001 T&C I found the Speedometer pegged out
    one day, just after replacing the battery. I believe
    what had happened was an electrical "bounce" or
    "Spike" from intermittent connection while replacing
    the battery. When I discovered the pegged speedometer
    needle I took the dash out and checked connections. Finding no problems
    I was replacing the dash when I noticed the needle had rotated all of the
    way around the dial! The fix was simple. I removed the plastic cover and
    rotated it back to the left side of the peg and have had no problems since.
    Hope this helps someone.
  • Options
    hershbergerhershberger Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 T&C and experienced problems with sudden battery
    drainage. What would happen was, without warning, after sitting
    over-night, the battery would be completely dead. I would charge it
    and it would be fine for weeks or months and then happen again.
    I could find no problem for this, but we suspected an after-market
    vcr/tv console and unplugged it. It happened again and we replaced
    the battery about 8 months ago and have not had a repeat problem.
    Make sure if you replace the battery you get the same size in
    amp hours (or greater).
  • Options
    dfioredfiore Member Posts: 2
    Ok, here's the deal. I have a 2003 Chrysler T & C LXI. It has the 3.8l rated at 215hp. Is this correct? The 2005's are apparantly rated at 205hp. How can this be? Why would a new model have less HP than an earlier version. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!
  • Options
    veritasusaveritasusa Member Posts: 72
    I wondered about this myself when I first learned of it, but now that I have bought my 2005 T&C, I think the rerouting of the exhaust system that was made necessary by the stow and go seats has increased back pressure and so brought down the HP figure.
This discussion has been closed.