Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Any Questions for a Car Dealer?

Comments

• jasmith52jasmith52 Posts: 460
    I have been to a couple of slasher sales, mostly as entertainment. The idea is that slasher sales are a reverse auction and the hope is that as they slash the prices that buyers will compete to buy those cars at such great prices.

The reality is that a few cars actually get any competition from buyers, the rest go for the bottom line slashed price if they go at all.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    ...... That's kinda like the double handshake, a wink and a prayer deal ......

Terry.
    ....... Some dealers try them once and like em' .. some try em' and hate em' .. it all depends on the volume and the figure's after 2/3 days ...

These aren't bad things, they just build traffic .. when I first got in the biz, the dealer principle would have a sale about every 6/8 weeks and it would increase sales by 12/15 cars a day over 3 days .. after 9/10 months it kinda burned itself out and we would only see an extra 8/9 cars over the 3 days and it wasn't worth paying the "Slashers " ... it's the excitement, people get interested and they buy your product instead of the one down the street ...

Toyota has been "famous" for their Tent Sales for years .. pool 8/9 dealers together, drop 250/350 vehicles at a Mall or a Fair ground, drop some double trucked Ad's, get some big balloons and some radio stations -- and "Wango Tango", you just sold 150/170 vehicles over 3 days .. not so bad.

Can't be any worse than the boat shows or the lady on the other side of town that's had huge "I'm Retiring and selling out" signs on her stores for the last 2 years ..l.o.l.....

Terry ;)
  • bryanbryan Northern VAPosts: 228
    Here's my experience--I have an '04 GXP, and the car is simply awesome. I purchased the car two days before it even hit the dealer's lot one year ago tomorrow! GM had sent me a certificate that was good for the first two payments. I got $3K off the MSRP, $5K rebate, and first two payments, which amounted to a total of $9K off.

I was going to take the 0% financing when the rebate amount was $3K, but the week before I purchased GM increased the rebate to $5K. GM still financed me at a very competitive rate (matched my bank and credit union!), so taking the rebate in lieu of the 0% financing saved me a little of $1K over the life of the loan.
  • mprmpr Posts: 1
    I thought the dealer inventory tax is exactly that - the "dealer's" tax. There was a class-action lawsuit filed against 636 texas motor vehicle dealerships alleging that the dealerships committed fraud, conspiracy, and DTPA violations by passing on THEIR inventory taxes to consumers as an itemized charge in addition to the price of the vehicle. This lawsuit (Envo-Tech, Inc., Jett Jones, Sheryl M. Nickerson, and Leon M. Andrews, III v. Alford Chevrolet-Geo, et. al.) was filed quite some time ago and may have resulted in the Automobile Dealers Association lobbying Congress to pass a statute allowing them to pass their taxes on to us. And more than likely, they did.

I welcome any updates/feedback.
  • smithedsmithed Posts: 444
    "The same price for that recliner as everyone else who comes into the store", I have negotiated prices with furniture stores--no problem. I have bought recliners, couches, etc at below what they had on the "sale" tag. Cars have always been sold that way (except a few specific types), and most prices of anything are negotiable--you just have to decide whether the time to negotiate is worth it.
    Since car prices are negotiable--get it for the least you are willing to put the time into.

Except the IRS--don't fool with them. :)
    ........... Whoa ... that's a reeeally old court case ... 97/98.?

That was a class action suite that struggled all the way to the Supreme court ... I don't remember anything coming out of it ..

Conclusion:
    For the above reasons, we conclude that the Relators have not established their right to relief by mandamus on either the abatement issue or the discovery matter. Therefore, we deny the writ of mandamus.

Terry.
  • fungus440fungus440 Posts: 21
    There's a new 2004 CTS-V sitting on the dealer's lot with 300 miles on it. Still has the sticker on it and I've driven it. It has the sunroof option, so it's the $50K version. The dealer is the 'ship to' dealer on the sticker.

Since we're 8 or so months into the '05 model year, what price do you think they'd sell it for? I figure invoice is around $46-47. I'm curious how much the factory-to-dealer money for the 1 model year old vehicle would amount to. Current $1K incentive is on the '05s. I know this car has been eating at their floor plan for a while. Holdback should be around $1,400~.

Thanks.
  • typhon1991typhon1991 Posts: 64
    I work at a GM dealer and looked up the incentives online. There is the hotbutton rebate of 1000 and Gm gavebuydown assistance of 1000 and most of the invoices were aroud 47,600 on a 51300 list car. You could probably buy for around 45500 plus tax. if it has never been titled, it has full factory warranty. Not a bad deal. It is a fast car. good luck
  • geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    A Caddy dealer in Auburn NY has a NEW 04 V.
    0 miles, sunroof, 53k sticker........Advertised for $42xxx !!!!!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 126,124
    small print?

after $7000 customer downpayment

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    ...if your a recent college grad working on your new farm and doing your National Guard duty every other weekend...
  • jpmiller99jpmiller99 Posts: 50
    I work for a company eligible for the Supplier Discount from Chrysler.
    On their website, it shows a $2500 rebate, $1000 bonus cash, and a $3500 discount from Chrysler for being part of the supplier program on the Chrysler T&C Limited.

My question is if these are Chrysler supplied discounts, will the dealer still be willing to discount off of MSRP, or is this similar to Fords X-Plan pricing where there is no negotiation?
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    My company also qualifies for the supplier discount from DC. My understanding is that the price is ((invoice - 1%) - rebates); at least, this is what we were told by a Jeep dealer last fall when my wife and I were looking at the Jeep Liberty. Rebates are any that you qualify for. Non negotiable, just like the GM Supplier discount and Ford X-plan.
    ...you get the "plan" pricing PLUS the rebate.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    mirth is right. let's use some (fictional) numbers:

MSRP - 25000
    Invoice - 23000
    1% of Invoice - 230
    Rebate - 2500

Your cost, before tax and title fees, would be ((23000 - 230) - 2500) = 20270

Clear as mud?
  • cadillacmikecadillacmike Posts: 543
    in-between tours of duty in iraq and afghanistan!
  • jpmiller99jpmiller99 Posts: 50
    Thanks for the responses. I get it now. Now I just have to talk my wife out of the $40K Acura MDX, in favor of a T&C Limited for about 29K. :)

Jim Miller
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    and (around here), have been a member of the Amercian Quarterhorse Association for more than one month.
    ... **Since we're 8 or so months into the '05 model year, what price do you think they'd sell it for? I figure invoice is around $46-47. I'm curious how much the factory-to-dealer money for the 1 model year old vehicle would amount to. Current $1K incentive is on the '05s. I know this car has been eating at their floor plan for a while. Holdback should be around $1,400** ...
    =========================================

04 still sitting on the ground..? ... nice vehicles and people like em' ... that said, unless your ego is bigger than your wallet I would looking for a nice pre-owned 04 CTS-V with 5/7/9k .. dealers are paying the $33/$34ish range for em' and I'm pretty sure you can get one in your driveway for "around" the $36/$37ish range ....

Terry.
  • purplebugpurplebug Posts: 24
    I ordered my car (YEAH), what paperwork did I sign? There is no VIN number yet, because it is being ordered/built. All fees (or at least the ones I plan on paying) are listed. And then there is a price at the bottom, isn't that what I am supposed to pay. Now, I now that any other perks that are available during the time of delivery I can get, but I have another question. Supposedly my company is part of a program to get cars at special rates, not sure if belong to dealer discount program mentioned. I didn't do it before because, well, I didn't feel like it. If what I signed isn't a "contract" per say, can I now check out this special program go back to the dealer and say please give me these specials also?

Thanks
    ...I say yeah you can. If it were a hot car, like the new Mustang GT or something, they probably wouldn't. This is not a diss on the Cruiser. ;)
  • mattb5mattb5 Posts: 3
    I just bounght a NEW car out of state. I paid the delearship to have the car delivered. During the delivery, the transporter got into an accident. My car was damaged as a result. Upon delivery, the damaged appeared to minimal. I informed the dealer the next day and he asked me to obtain an estimate.

It turns out that $5000 worth of damage has been done to the car. The dealer has offered to pay to have it fixed (probably covered by the transporter insurance). I do not believe this is acceptable. The accident will lessen the resale value of the car and may have hurt the car in other ways not noticeable at this time. I believe that I ordered a "new" car and should receive one.

The dealership is unwilling to refund my money or replace my vehicle. I don't want to get lawyers involved, but does anyone know what I can do legally? Anybody have better suggestions of how I can return this vehicle for a new car or my money refunded?
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,863
    Sorry to hear of the incident.

Have you already signed the papers and paid for it? If so, you own it and you'll have to deal with the transporter. IMHO, the dealer should help you get a settlement from the transporter.

Just out of curiosity, why did you buy out of state?

Good Luck.
  • mattb5mattb5 Posts: 3
    Thanks for your help. I received a loan and the credit union paid for the car before it was sent to me. The credit union signed some papers (I guess), but I have not signed any of the papers that the dealer sent me. I don't understand all those papers, but I still haven't signed anything agreeing to "accept the vehicle in its current condition".

Unfortunately, the transporter settlrment would only be the cost to fix it I am sure. It still seems like I am entiled to a "new and undamaged" vehicle.

I bought the car out of state, because my region does not make the color combination I wanted.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,863
    You must have signed a purchase agreement and the credit union must have paid the dealer - I doubt any dealer would put a car on a transporter and send it to you without getting those items.

If you don't understand all those papers - find somebody that does!! This is going to be interesting.

BTW, what kind of vehicle, what state are you in, and what stateis the dealer in?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 126,124
    Unfortunately, I think the car is yours... You authorized payment from the credit union, and they forwarded that payment on your behalf... I believe your whole claim will be with the transport company and their insurance agent..

I'd get a lawyer to draft a letter, with a mention of diminished value.. Perhaps they can get the insurance company to get you a new car, in lieu of a diminished value claim..

Otherwise, your only recourse will be monetary..

regards,
    kyfdx

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,870
    but it will be interesting to see what the legal interpretation of the various papers in the deal is. In any case, the dealer should (and would normally) step up and get a replacement, mainly becasue you should be able to reject a damaged unit.

I once bought a Nissan that had to be dealer swapped. When it showed up, there were a bunch of scratches on it. The dealer refused to accept it, and sent it back and then found me a replacement.

I'm still fuzzy here on who you bought this from, and who got paid. If it is the dealer that it arrived at 9and they did a ealer swap), I still don't see why you get stuck, just because it was pre-funded.

Try this, you make a deal on a unit "on the back lot", and sign the papers on it while they prep it. When they bring it around front, it has body damage. Are you going to accept it with a "too late, you signed" reasoning?

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    I think you own the car. Hopefully it'll be restored to new condition. I would make sure that you insist on the body shop that does the work instead of letting them pick the place.

Not the end of the world either. You could have just as easilly been rear ended at a light the day you bought it. It's just a car.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 32,870
    maybe just a car, but he paid full price for something that is now worth less (due to the damage).

Hey, this is America - Sue somebody!!!!!

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

This discussion has been closed.