Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70

Comments

• c702000c702000 Member Posts: 39
    oil pan protection. I have a new 2000 c70 and unless you lower the car, do not think you need oil pan protection. Unless you are going off road (just kidding). Have own the 850 and the C70 and they all sit high enought,do not think you have to worry. I spent my money on 17" wheel and cd changer and maybe down the road a rear spoiler. Hope you enjoy you car as much as I (8,000 miles and it's perfect.
    best of luck.
    tom
  • christmassoupchristmassoup Member Posts: 1
    I've checked all the postings and haven't seen this question. I've test driven the C70 along with other convertibles and wonder if C70 owners have been bothered at all by reduced visibility on the coupe and convertible (in the rear sides (right in particular). I've never been accustomed to using only my mirrors due to the blind spot. The dealer said some people just never adjust to this. Any feedback?
  • burmazburmaz Member Posts: 1
    Did every one know that the Volvo C70 is hand made! I just figured that out on Volvo's UK website. Thats why they are so expensive. 8-12 people make each car. They only mad 15,000 C70's last year not just for the USA but for every other country as well. The Volvo C70 can be considered a little rare. It is made at the same factory as TVR.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Interesting, but I don't see how 8-12 people could make 15,000 cars a year, do you?...that's 312 cars a week, or each of the 12 people buildng 26 cars in 5 days! (no time to go to the bathroom?) They must have screwed up the math at the website, or their idea of "hand-built" must mean some hand assembly of the convertible top components...i.e., some things that the robots don't or can't do well. Relative to a Camaro, it's certainly a little rare, but 15,000 is a lot of cars in terms of future collectibility (if that's what you were driving at--don't mean to put words in your mouth). It's more than all of Ferrari production of all their models for instance.

Funny, I myself don't feel secure when I hear "hand-built"...Mercedes are built by robots and they do a hell of a job, but people can and do often make mistakes handbuilding cars. But it's a lovely myth and I don't mean to rain on it too much....just going off at the mouth here.
  • gcamp11gcamp11 Member Posts: 4
    I have a '99 C70 5 speed. I am thinking of uprgrading the performance. Has anyone doneny upgrades to their C70? How are the results?? Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks
  • benny2benny2 Member Posts: 3
    For performance enthusiasts, I can send a report on my C70 at Laguna Seca and a photo in the Corkscrew. My car has all the IPD upgrades, 5 speed, 18" HRE wheels. Send an e mail.
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    OK. I got the IPD manual for the C70 this weekend and salivated a bit before thinking about things. I have no problem dropping $1150 in order to increase my horsepower a bit. Is it definitely worth the investment or should I just be happy with the 236hp that I have already.

Another question would be...
    Is it going to be easy for me to swap the computer back out before I take the car in to be surfaced and will they be able to tell that I had been playing around with my car?

Thanks,
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post 3281:

schuhc, if you want to be able to swap the ECU out of your C70 prior to service visits you will be spending over $2,000 for the unit. The price you quoted includes a swap of your original ECU. If you want to keep the original ECU IPD adds about another $1k to the price as I recall (or at least they used to). If this is still the case, you might want to wait until your original factory warranty expires first.

Thanks.

-rdo
    rdollie@mediaone.net
  • jeremyc70jeremyc70 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all I just found this board and I am excited to see how other like their C70s. I am 17 and I was in the market for a BMW M3 but I looked and looked and finally relised they were not that appealing ( they looked good and were fast but nothing else ) So I ended up with a 1998 C70 with 8,000 miles. I have had it about 2 months and here are some things that im sure you would like to know about my car.

It it blackberry ( the kinda maroon purple color ) with black leather.

It has the 18" BBS wheel option. When I got the car it was perfect for about a month , then one night after dinner I came out of a restaurant to find that the sidewall on the back left tire was cracked ( Parelli P Zeros ) . So I went to discount tire and they told me the others were already worn so it would be a good idea to get new tires. So I drove it for about another 2 weeks and the tires got progressivly worse , as did the shimmy of the sterring wheel. And a noise when I braked. The shimmy I noticed from when I first got the car, when I went over bumps I could feel them in the sterring. And I also noticed that the more people I have in the car the harder it is to steer ( Am I crazy for thinking this ? ) So I feel the shimmy worse when more are in the car. Anyways I have replaced the tires with Goodyear Euro T/A's . And the ride is better and smoother but the shimmy is still there. The only problems I had with the car so far besides that is the sunroof would rattle because it was off the track. SO they fixed it but when I went to pick it up they wanted to charge me $73 for labor because they said that it didint need parts it needed adjustment so I got upset and they agreed to 1/2 the cost with me but I still was not happy that I had to pay. Well now that I have told you guys alot of stuff ( some of which Im sure you will think is useless ) . I would be intrested in hearing what other owners have to say about theirs and things they have learned about them from ownership. Thanks
  • merajmeraj Member Posts: 2
    hey you'all...i REALLY like the c70 and like what is has to offers, but i am looking for a brand new one or one with only a few K miles on it. i want it fully loaded and i want the high output turbo (the one with 236 horses...) and want the 5 speed. i was wondering what kind of a price should i offer? i know these rides are not selling off the showroom floors (due to CL-S, M3, S4...etc...). so what do you think i can get one for!? overall, how are you owners thinking of your purchase? thanks for your help and opinions!!
  • merajmeraj Member Posts: 2
    thanks schuhc...i am probably going to get one from chicago too! anyone get these rides for cheaper though!?
    I order a 2000 C70 (LP), 17" wheels (must have)and after owning 850 850t and the C70, think you are better off with the 2000. They have had a couple of years to improve production and work out their probelms with th 1998. Have 9,000 miles and not one problem and it will do 140mph. Total cost was
    $35k. Iknow more HP would be better, but for cruising,some auto crossing, and just fun it's hard to better for the cost. If you order from the factory (the way you want it) think the cost will be less and the dealer does not have to worry about paying inventory cost. Personally think it's worth getting brand new and pay a little extra, than buying the older models. I have been buying and driving Volvo since 1976 and this is the best one, for looks,quality and bang for the buck. plan to keep this one along time. best of luck, it's great to have a car that you will not see on the road every day, different is nice.
    Tom
  • richc70richc70 Member Posts: 6
    I went with Priceline.com to buy my 2000 C70 LT Convertible. Priceline charges you $50.00 and does your bidding for you. They found me a dealer who would accept a total of $500 over total (car plus options all at invoice price) invoice price.
    Shipping was extra, but if you want to buy new how can you beat getting the price you are willing to pay. I like the car although I only have 1400 miles on it.

Has anyone put an ipd aluminum skid plate over a convertible's oil pan? The convertible has two cross members that appear to be in the way.
  • QX498QX498 Member Posts: 9
    Hello Everyone

Was wondering what a fair price would be if i want to sell my 1998 c70 turbo with 25,500 miles.
    Any help is greatful. If anybody is wondering it is in Rhode Island.

Thanks
    R. Geoffroy
  • shiftodshiftod Member Posts: 3
    I was just at a Volvo dealer in Nor Cal, and they are out of stock for C70 coupes...but they have a 1999 C70 HT with 21,000 miles on it. I haven't test driven it or any C70 yet, but I noticed that with the windows down all the way, the door does not close with an authoritative thunk...is this the same for all C70s or a problem on the car? The door panel just doesn't seem super solid as in other volvos...finally, the offer price right of the bat is $33,900, any advice on the price and if I should hold out for new one? Thanks peoples...
    read item #287 this might help
    tom
    Well:

Got a call from the dealer today. The HT coupe that I ordered (with Lisa's specifications) arrives today and will be ready to pick up tomorrow. The question I have is... Should I feel guilty that she will be in New York and not be able to pick up the car with me. I think that this is a good trade-off for her not allowing me to get a 5 speed manual.

Can you say..."Lisa honey, don't call me from New York Tuesday night because I will be having an auto-affair until about 3:00 am Wednesday.
  • pyeskepyeske Member Posts: 2
    Well schuhc, you too should be a happy owner by now! My wife and I picked up our nautic blue 2000 HT last month in Sweden and we love it to death. We immediately put over 2k miles on it (keeping the engine under 4000 rpm's, of course)driving through southern France. Even the frenchies could not keep their eyes off of it!

The factory delivery is very worthwhile- Volvo handled it all in a classy way.

This is a car we will keep for awhile...
  • guccioneguccione Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 HPT and find that the rearview mirror has alot of vibration even when stereo is low. Has anyone else experienced this? I have 22K miles and no other problems so far.
    Scott:
    Noticed a noise the other day when I picked up the car. Best way to describe it would be a sound as if the wheel was not connected on the the bolts and it scrapes accross the threads of the bolt.
    Only happens when the car is being drive for the 1st 10 (maybe) minutes. Does not affect handling, breaking...
    Took it to the dealership yesterday (50 mile drive) and the serviceman got in with me but we didn't hear a thing. He indicated that it might be 'morning sickness' where there are particles that get stuck on the disk. He said that if I hear it and give it a firm break and that should clear it up.
    Heard anything like this?

Mirror Vibration:
    12 miles on mine. Not a lot of shake but does shimmy.
  • dolamitedolamite Member Posts: 8
    Earlier today I dropped by a local dealer and they actually had some information on the 2001 C70. According to the sales person:
    1. No LT coupe in 2001 - only HT.
    2. No price increase on HT coupe or LT/HT convertibles.
    3. 2001's will be on their lot by the end of July.

I drove the LT convertible for the first time and I was mildly impressed. I was surprised with the low noise levels with the top up and down. Overall, the more I thought about $45+ on a C70 convertible, the more I was drawn to the S80 T6. The S80 is very compelling for the level of luxury, sporty look, and engine performance.

I noticed the C70 steering shimmy and the sales person told me that there are rubber spacers in the shocks to prevent this and that...during make-ready they are removed.

By September I will likely make a purchase. If I decide on Volvo, it will either be a C70 coupe or S80 T6. Two very different cars, but I can't decide.
  • volvoscottvolvoscott Member Posts: 26
    Okay I'm assuming you're hearing this noise only when the car has set up overnite or time as such. It is normal to have a slight coating of rust on the brake rotors due to natural humidity in the air, and after a short amount of driving the noise should go away within a few miles or with a good solid stop. This is perfectly normal, nothing to be alarmed over. Hope all is well with everyone.

Scott
  • volvoscottvolvoscott Member Posts: 26
    Dolamite,
    I got to do a pre-delivery inspection on a 2001 C70 hardtop today, so I thought I'd give a little input on here. It was the mystic silver color, with light gray interior. Beautiful car I might add. had the HD turbo, and the 5 speed automatic. In 2000, I had only seen the 5 speed coupled to the stock 5 cylinder car. I absolutely could not believe how smooth this car ran. It had the premium stereo, Stability/traction control, cold weather package, and 17" wheels. Sticker price on this car was $40,000, which is down from last year. Nice car, wish I could own one.

Scott
  • mcohenmcohen Member Posts: 21
    I am looking to sell my 98 C70. Love the car, but I'm moving to San Francisco and I don't want it ruined. Parking is terrible there... Does anyone know of a good place to sell it? I tried the dealers, but they were offereing way below kelly blue book.

Or is anyone here interested. It is a green 98 c70 with 30,500 miles selling for $29,500 (with 2 bicycle racks). Auto with everything (except the premium leather). I will gladly tell you more if you're interested.

Please email me at mcohen@pacbell.net if interested. I live in the bay area.
    my email is cohenm@pacbell.net. Too many email accounts :)
  • sacherelsacherel Member Posts: 12
    Hi,
    Does anyone know whether Volvo offers the Navigation equipement with the 2001 C70 coupe. I remember reading a magazine article saying that you can get the navigation equipement but you can't have the Pro Logic system as the Navigation LCd is placed where the center speaker is.
    Thanks
    sacherel, I don't know if there is a nav. option for the C70 but I do know that for the new V70 and the S80 you can have the navigation option and the Dolby Pro-logic Surround setup together (I've got it). If there is a nav. option on the C70 I would imagine it would work in much the same manner.

Thanks.

-rdo
    rdollie@mediaone.net
  • bchbum2000bchbum2000 Member Posts: 10
    During braking, the power assist seems to go out. The pedal gets hard to push, it doesn't stop well, etc. Dealer says Volvo know about this problem. Has any one else had brake problems. I am thinking Lemon Law.
  • aedcaedc Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I'm new to the list and very impressed with the knowledge and civility of the participants having just reviewed the postings about the Volvo C70 since the beginning of this year.

Unless my wife surprises me when we compare the C70 to the Saab 9-5 on the road I expect we'll be C70 owners sometime soon. The car will be used mostly for 2-3 hour highway cruises, but will definitely also have lots of country road cornering opportunities, so we're looking for a performance/ride balance with some zip and style.
    I'd appreciate the group's feedback on what I think our key model comparison questions will be:

1. Aside from the big breeze, are there any handling/comfort/performance differences that argue for going with the ragtop? (We're leaning coupe.)

2. Since we'd like to stay at or under $30k, we're almost certain to go with a used C70 -- and probably with the low pressure turbo -- but would consider a new one and/or a high pressure if the 2001 models and peppier model had attributes that were worth the extra $10k or more.
    Should we:

a) look for a year-end "steal" on a 2000 and, if so, when should we be dealing? and

b) if we go used, are there strong arguments for a 2000 over a 1999 in terms of reliability, performance, major systems, etc;

3. Would picking up a new car in Sweden next summer provide sufficient fit/finish or other **mechanical** benefits to make up for waiting almost a year for new wheels? (Don't get me wrong; free airfare and the chance to tool around Europe are not without there own appeal, too!)

4. What other factors should we be considering in deciding when -- and into which model -- we should jump?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.
  • stealthonestealthone Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 1999 C70 Coupe auto with 5k miles on it. I just drove it at 70-75 mph and noticed several things:
    The ride was very rough; the steering column vibrated, the foot pedals vibrated, and the (I'm assuming) tread noise was awful. Anyone ever have these fixed by a dealer - or is it just the way the car drives? Any ideas? Also, I was driving in the rain, and I did get that thumping noise in the sun roof.
  • marty56marty56 Member Posts: 5
    Change the tires to Michelin. I bet you have Perelli.
  • stealthonestealthone Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the input. You're right - I do have Pirellis. It's good to know this because I'm expecting the dealer to tell me that's the way the car drives.
  • sacherelsacherel Member Posts: 12
    Hi,
    Does anyone know how long I will have to wait for a 2001 Volvo C70 HP coupe.
    Thanks in advance,
    Erik
    AEDC:

I own a 2000 HT coupe so my opinions will be a bit biased. Just as an fyi I compared against a CLK320 and an S-4.

1. I chose a coupe because I live in Chicago and there aren't enough good days to have a convertible. However, there is absolutely no wind vibration at any speed by having the sunroof open.
    2. Spent $40K and am thrilled with the purchase. Don't think you will get a year end steal on a new coupe or convert because the Autonova plant shut down for a few weeks and it is a limited production car. We had to order ours and waited 3 months and 13 days (well worth it however). It seems like the 2000's have had all the kinks worked out from the 99 and 98.
    4. From what I understand the LT gives you some good boost from 20mph to 60mph. From experience, the HT gives nice boost from 30mph on up.

From experience, make sure your wife is strapped in when you take corners with the 17' wheels. Lisa could care less about how fast we go in the straights but she absolutely hates it when I take turns at 50+.
    I just purchased a 1999 Coupe with 10K mi. from a used car dealer who sells used Volvos exclusively. This was a former Volvo exec. car and the dealer drove it himself for awhile because he loved the car. He is also very fussy (the car was flawless) and noticed the shimmy and replaced the Perellis before he put the car on the lot. The car is rock solid at all highway speeds. I had another vehicle with Perellis and...same problem always had a shimmy after repeated trips to the dealer and tire dealer were unsuccessful. Changed out to Michelin. I'd make this offer to your dealer, replace the tires with Michelin. If the problems disaappears no charge for the new tires as the Perellis were obviously defective. If not you pay for the new Michelins and he repairs the suspension problem.
  • matt90matt90 Member Posts: 1
    Do you think I nuts I want my daughter to drive this she been begging me for a year when she was 15
    I changed my tires to Dunlops. I haven't had a problem with them. They won't wear out as easily as the Pilot's.
  • alapperalapper Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at the new c70 ht coupe. reading some of the posts, i see that there is an option of picking one up at the factory in europe. what is that all about. what is the cost of bringing it back to the states? is there a $$$ advantage to buying over there? any help in this would be great. thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    RE: Euro delivery.

it depends on the manufacturer. You can often find Euro delivery info on the manufacturer's website; also certain dealers will specialize in this. With a Volvo, you could probably save some money, maybe $2,000 or so, but it's not a big bucks savings, no, and often you cannot negotiate price on a Euro delivery, so keep that in mind as well when you do your calculations.
  • undecided15undecided15 Member Posts: 1
    I am strongly considering buying a C70. I'm wondering about the difference between the LPT and HPT (besides the horsepower). I test drove a HPT today and didn't like how long it took the turbo to kick in. The salesman told me I might want to look at the LPT (unfortunately, he didn't have any on the lot). Any thoughts on this? Also, any reason to get the 2001 HPT instead of the 2000 HPT? A similarly equipped 2000 HPT looks to be several hundred dollars cheaper and identical.
  • ghurtadoghurtado Member Posts: 3
    I have a used 1999 white c70 Coupe LT w/Tan Leather and I am in need of some good sound advise regarding repairs and upgrades. I purchased my c70 with 12k miles and paid under 32k w/taxes 8 months ago. I love to drive it! Especially on my daily 90 mile drive to and from work. When I got the car I had the tapping noise problem w/ the sunroof when it rained and the dealer repaired it at no charge. However 6 months later now, I just found a small leak in the sunroof and the drivers (left) directional blinker now flickers twice as fast than normal. Question: Has anyone had this occur and what was done to resolve the problem(s)?

I will need to replace tires(P6000) and brake pads before the year is out. The P6000 tires on the c70 have not given me any big problems other than noise at speeds of 60-100 mph. Question: What is a good replacement set that can provide at least 40k miles tread wear or better and offer excellent performance in dry and wet conditions. I live in South Florida and it does rain often.

I also would like to replace and upgrade to dustless brake pads but I am little concerned the new dustless pads will not perform as good as the standard factory pads. I asked a volvo dealer for input regarding this and they stated the dustless pads are harder and will wear out much quicker than standard factory pads. Is this true?

Thanks,
    George
    Regarding post #318:

I can't help with all the items but I can address a couple. The fast blinking bulb is Volvo's way of telling you that one of your turning lights is out (it should be in your manual). Changing bulbs on modern Volvos is usually quite easy with the exception of rear turn signals on the 2001 V70.

Regarding brakes - conventional wisdom holds that harder brake pads last longer than softer ones but usually don't stop as quickly. However, if the owner reports I've read are accurate there are harder pads out there that stop as well as the Volvo pads with much less brake dust. You should start at www.ipdusa.com for the brakes.

Good luck.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • roarroar Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced a broken upper engine
    stabilizer rubber boot on their C70.
    My engine has been shaking for a second after shuting engine down for a few weeks. Spoke to Scott at IPD and he told me to look at the upper engine stabilizer rubber boot which connects the engine to the firewall and there it was. A crack on the top and bottom of the boot. Has anyone had this problem and did there engine shake a little from it.

Thanks, Rori
  • pinkyllpinkyll Member Posts: 1
    Do you know what new changes are in store for the 2001 C70, convertible? Or where I might find out? The new pricing and specs aren't up yet at the Volovo site. I'm trying to decide if I should just wait for the 2001, you mentioned earlier that the price was a little lower.

Thanks so much for all your wise and generous wisdom.

Pinky
  • cyn5cyn5 Member Posts: 1
    I, too, am interested in those same questions posed by Pinky. I await your assistance. cyn5
  • customera1customera1 Member Posts: 1
    this is in response to item 320. i have a 99 c70 and its in the shop right now with a torn top engine mount. my vehicle also exhibits a rough shaking at shut down. when i showed this to the service mgr he said there was a software fix which cures the rough shut down. something to the effect that the computer shuts the throttle plate too fast at shut down.
    I have a 99 LPT Coupe. Unless you're really into 0-60 fast starts stay with the LPT. Things seem to happen a little too quickly in fast acceleration especially with slower vehicles around you. The LPT gives added power at highway speeds where the quicker acceleration is more useful and easier controlled. Also the HPT adds more stress to the engine. You won't get the legendary volvo high mileage in a HPT and with a car as classic as the c70 coupe is becoming you'll want to drive it for a very long time.
  • happyc70happyc70 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

This is Rod from post #320. Please let me know which fixes your engine shutter, the upper engine stabilizer bushing or the software patch. It may save me some time and work.

Thanks, Rod , NY
  • seraphinseraphin Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know anything about production problems with the Volvo C70 Convertible for 2001. I have heard that a dispute between Volvo (which builds the bottom of the car) and another vendor (which builds the top of the car) has held up production. Very few are available for delivery in 2000. There are usually quality problems associated with such a dispute.

Any insights?
  • calenthcalenth Member Posts: 1
    Hey, all. I recently inherited a large chunk of change, and after making all the suitable investments I decided I wanted to take a chunk of it and replace the car I'm driving with something really nice. My whole family is a "volvo family" --- My two siblings and their significant others, etc., and myself together own something like 5 Volvo 240's and have been driving them for upwards of ten years each, simply out of love for the model/make.

So I'm looking around, and I see this volvo Convertible, and I'm young and single and unencumbered with responsibilty and I can afford to buy it, and I'd likely keep driving it for a very long time. So I'm not worried about justifying the initial investment.

However, I do have other worries. .things like upkeep costs, etc. What do people think? Is this car a good long-term buy? is the upkeep cost going to kill me? (i.e., what salary level do people think i'd need fpr maintenance costs etc., presuming I paid cash for the car initially.)