Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town and Country EX/LX/LXi/Limited

Comments

• pozdolpozdol Member Posts: 3
    Took several highway trips (65+ mph) of over 250 mi recently in 2001 T & C which now has 7500 miles. Manually calculated mileage was about 22 mpg. The trip computer shows much lower numbers. I had never reset the mpg selection on the console. I have heard that this should be done regularly because it is calculating based on last reset. If you have never reset it, like me, and had 90% city driving of less than 10 mile trips, which I do, that must be weighting the average way down. As for wind roof rack noise, I looked in the owners manual and it said to position cross bars each in second position...front 2nd pos from front and rear 2nd pos. from rear. This seemed to greatly reduce the noise. They had been in the first positions (front far forward and rear far backward). And as mentioned in the MY2001 Voyager/caravan posting of July 20, the other noise I have, and which many have reported is the electric engine cooling fan noise which is a low vibrating rumble which I hope they fixed for 2002. Some were reporting T&C came with front splash guards...mine did not (purchased in Dec 2000). A late addition? I went to dealer body shop and gave him the part number from the chrysler.com web site for T&C splash guards (black). Dont look bad, since much of the trim is already black around doors (I have silver paint).
  • gatogonowgatogonow Member Posts: 17
    Chrysler has shown their loyal customers what they think of them!

We will correct the problem on future vehicles because we know it will hurt sales. However, we will not correct the problem on the vehicles we have already produced because we care more about profits than the safety of our customers!

To those of you who bought the vans after the repairs, I say what else is Chrysler trying to cover-up? The faulty door locks that allow you to be ejected from the vans in a crash. The seat belts that do not hold in a crash! What else do they know?

To future buyers, how will Chrysler treat you on safety issues that may arise in the future. They have proven to you that once they have your money, you are on your own.

A large percentage of buyers for this vehicle consult the internet for information. If you own a Chrysler Van and are un-happy with the way Chrysler is dealing with this "Death Trap Issue", Post it here and let them know that they will live with the wrath until something is done. They have shown that money counts so show them they are correct. Tell all your friends who like your van about how Chrysler is treating you and your family.

Let it be known that you are not as stupid and defensless as they thing you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • denhydenhy Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 caravan makes a noise at 50 mph. The dealership has changed the tires and replaced the drive shaft, in an effort to stop the "growling " noise. The van now has 38,000 miles on it , and they suddenly want the Factory Rep to look at it...Has anyone had this problem? Several people have told me the transmission could be the problem. The van will not make the noise when it is in neutral at the same RPM`s. Any info would be appreciated..Thank you
  • linctccartierllinctccartierl Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Pozdol! I only have two complaints with my Town & Country, the roof rack wind noise (which I don't hear in my uncle's 2000 Grand Caravan) and the fact that the audio system doesn't have as many toys as my 2000 Lincoln Town car. I'm gonna try repositioning the roof racks right now!
  • pepe11pepe11 Member Posts: 41
    The "danger" is far overblown for an occurrence that happened once in more than 50 crash tests. But...has anyone been able to confirm that vans manufactured after 7/3 will have the problem corrected? Has DC confirmed that specific date? My dealer has two vans with manufacture dates of 7/4 and 7/5 and I would much prefer either of those if its true the problem has been fixed. I'm thinking more about the resale hassle and/or the hassle of bringing it in for the ultimate recall (I assume it).
    TIA
    Pete
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Please re read the IIHS tests and check all the photos before you go into your "Chicken little the sky is falling" song. The van was crashed 52 times (50 by DC and twice by IIHS) before the leaking was found on the 52nd test. Yes I agree that a possible leak in the center of the fuel tank after a 40 mile per hour collision could possibly cause a fire, but how many accident scenes have you seen where there was no fuel spilled? My son was involved in an accident with a VW Jetta that blew a stop sign and rammed the front of his car. Minutes after the crash after everyone was out of the cars the Jetta burst into flames and burned up! The verdict, the driver neglected to turn off the ignition and the electric fuel pump kept merrily pumping fuel onto the hot engine. Are all Jettas firetraps? NO! are all 2001 Caravans/T&C's firetraps NO! REREAD the test results!
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    I agree with hayneldan that gatogonow is overreacting and that all 2001 DC minivans are not death traps. Any car can leak fuel in a crash if the variables are just right (speed, direction, position, ect). Even the Honda Odyssey has the potential to leak fuel in a crash test as the results of these tests all depend on many different incalculable factors.

I drive a 2000 Chrysler Town & Country LX and love it. I know two friends who have gotten into accidents in their 96-00 DC minivans, both accidents were minor. Both friends said their vans held up admirably in the crash and they did not suffer from any back/neck injuries.

gatagonow, when was the last time you heard about a DC minivan exploding after a crash due to a fuel leak? I sure haven't heard any stories about that. Out of all of the 2001 DC minivans that are on the road some are bound to get into serious accidents, some even worse than the simulated crash test. None of these vans has suffered from a fatal or serious or even an uncomon gas leak after the crash.

-Adam
  • mujackmujack Member Posts: 2
    Well, after reading all this I decided that I would buy a T&C.

I am very happy with the van now that I have it.
    It is a 2001 T&C LX. Here's my story...

Wednesday July 25th
    I went to the Walser Dealership in Burnsville, MN. After dealing with a salesman who didn't know much, I decided to buy a '01 with 6,000 miles on it (a demo).

There were some light scratches on it that they told me they would buff out.
    They needed to wash it as well as vacuum it out before I picked it up.
    I already hate these guys

Thursday July 26th
    My wife and I go to pick it up on Thursday night, (we are leaving on vacation Friday morning)
    The lot kid has backed it into something and the bumper is all scratched.
    The wheel cover is dented
    The floor mats are missing
    So, of course they don't mention it to us, until my wife notices it and they do the mad scramble to "figure out" what happened. The Sales Manager comes over and asks how we like the car. We tell him we are not going to but it now, and he gets the salesman out and starts yelling at him in front of us. When I tell him that the car has not been cleaned or buffed, he gets the lot boy out and starts yelling at him as well.
    The sales manager is very concerned that we give him a five star rating or something to that effect. I just laugh.

Well we get it all written up on what they are going to fix (the front bumper needed to be replace as well - something I didn't notice when I test drove it, but they were not going to mention it until we spotted it.)

So it's getting late and I tell them we are going to eat and to get the van ready as we are taking it out of town tomorrow. They buy us a $35.00 dinner for our trouble and throw an oil change in as well. (oh boy!!!)

Tuesday July 31st
    I Take it on vacation (really like the van) and drop it off to be fixed.
    They give me a 1996 MAZDA MPV. (Piece of $hit)I take it back to them, and tell them to give me something else, cause my van isn't ready and we are going out of town again.
    They give us a 2000 Mazda 626 (nice car).
    Friday my wife drives it to work and the check engine light comes on... Call the dealer tell them to bring a new car to her work, Nope she can come down and get a new on.
    I say she is 22 weeks pregnant and will not be driving to the dealership.
    They deliver a 1998 Mazda 626. (ok car, still a steaming pile)

Tuesday – August 7th
    They want me to pick up the van at 8:00 pm (in the dark??? no way)

Wednesday – August 8th
    The Plates are on the van
    The mats are in it
    The wheel cover is replaced.
    They still haven't buffed it, and now one of the air vents is broken.

So they order the vent and buff it out. ( I really hate these guys)

They are a 5 star dealer and I tell the salesman he better get a screwdriver out and pry about 4 of those stars off the building.

Saturday – August 11th
    Salesman calls me and tells me the part will be in on Monday.
    He tells me when I bring in the van he will rotate the tires for free.
    The Manager wants to talk to me.
    Manager calls me, he wants to find out what they can do better and where they messed up.
    He offers me a year of free service (4 oil changes) no thanks
    He offers me a free dinner for my trouble, I tell him I just want my van fixed.
    I call the manager about an hour later and tell him, to make it up to me I want the new gas tank thingamabob that I read about on this board....He agrees.

I take it in this week for the fix.

I hate these guys.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    How much you paid for this van? God knows what else is wrong with the van since they don't even fix the obvious scratches on the van. After all those trouble you have, I would just tell them to give me a brand new van for the same price as the demo.
  • scoyle1scoyle1 Member Posts: 14
    I too was and remain very upset by D/C response to the fuel pump flange. If you read the D/C response to the IIHS' highway safety tests very carefully (as any lawyer must), they do not say that none of the 50 vehicles that D/C crashed had fuel leakage or that they did not have cracked fuel planges or fuel tanks. D/C says that they did not notice any fuel leakage. While seemingly minor, this is a big difference legally speaking. D/C did not indicate how many of the fuel planges were cracked and or broken. Similarly, not all of D/C's crash tests would have been frontal/side impact crashes. Many would have been rear end tests, bumper tests, etc.

IIHS did three tests. Two of the tests were done on the 2001 vehicles. The fuel plange leaked during the second of these two tests. This caused IIHS to look more closely at the first test, where they discovered that the fuel plange was cracked. While it did not leak, the part was cracked. Only in the third test, a 2002 model with the redesigned part, did the fuel plange remain intact. So by my count, we only have all of the information available for two tests. In both of the tests the fuel plange was broken (100% failure rate), and in one of the tests, the fuel leaked (50% failure rate). While I am sure that the rate of failure would be much smaller than this (in fact, it probably is a very isolated event), the 2001 Chrysler/Dodge minivan's have been on the road for less than 1 year. If a vehicle had been involved in a crash that involved gasoline leakage and an injury, we may not have heard of it. Lawyers often get a gag order on cases that are pending, or settle cases early to avoid publicity. There simply is not enough time that has gone past for us to make a fully informed decision of the safety of the 2001 D/C minivans.

That being said, when it comes to the health of my 22 month old daughter, nothing is worth the risk. Any of you who say that the risk is small, all I have to say is that any unneeded risk is too much. I had bought the 2001 Chrysler Town & Country Lxi. Luckily, I found a dealer who had a 30 day money back/no questions asked policy. I took advantage of that policy. I do think that the D/C vehicles drive better, look better, have nice amenities, etc., but my daughter is my #1 concern. She is alot better than comfortable seats, climate control, etc.

As for you pessimists who think that I am over-reacting, look more closely into Chrysler's responses into safety concerns. In 1998, after years of fighting a recall of their safety belts on the Cirrus and Stratus, a US District court judge ordered a recall, resulting in 91,000 cars being recalled. When it comes to minivans, D/C's recall performance has also been abysmal. Remember the rear lift gates and the transmissions that shifted into drive without a foot on the brake? Both took years of lawsuits and news stories before they were corrected.

I thought that the DaimlerBenz folks would "right the ship", but it seems as if it is business as usual at Dodge/Chrysler.

My daughter and wife will be much safer (both according to IIHS and the NHTSA tests) in a Honda or a Toyota. I know where my money is going. -- For the safety of my family.

Don't believe me, see the links below.

www.freep.com /business/qcirrus5.htm
    www.autopedia.com /html/Recall_Chrysler032198.html
    www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ ce/html/0102.htm
    www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ ce/cecompoutc.asp
    www.nhtsa.dot.gov/hot/ rollover/rollover20010620.pdf

Note: remove spaces in the URLs listed above (1 per entry). Edmunds won't let you post words with more than 100 characters. I had to add a space to fit within this constraint
  • cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    Interesting post. Thanks for the perspective. For safety, also consider the Windstar. The 2002 DC vans and the Mazda MPV are also acceptable choices. You may be interested in some of these links:

http://www.car-safety.org/minivan.html

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    When posting the URLs, simply add a space and a "br" (replace the quotation marks with < and >) after the URL and it should work fine.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    My original post was in response to gatogonow who owns a 2001 DC van and has said they are afraid to drive it because of the one gas tank leak after 52 crashes, (50 by DC and 2 by IIHS). If you were to look thru copartfinder.com site, I'm sure you will find cars trucks and vans that have fire damage with crash damage. Remember you are carring 13 to 25 gallons of highly flammable fuel in a plastic or metal tank that can be punctured or deformed in a crash. Gatogownow made the problem seem like the roads were strewn with burned out hulks of 2001 DC vans of the 400,000 that were sold. I posted that site as a reality check. Again draw your own conclusions, but check the information closely and buy the van that meets your requirements. You are the one making the payments!
    After hitting a barrier at 40 MPH ALL those cars and trucks are totalled. I could care less about what was cracked. Again 52 crashes 1 leak!(2 teaspoons a minute)
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    Although I would not be concerned about the gas tank in the 2001 DC minivans, I can understand how some parrents might be concerned for their child(s) saftey in a car that has had it's safety questioned. Any car that is hit at a certain speed, direction and angle can develop some sort of leak, including the Toyota and Honda vans. I do not belive that lawyers have been silenced in certain situations involving a crash of a 2001 DC minivan where a SERIOUS fuel leak developed. If it was such a problem why didn't a SERIOUS fuel leak occur in the other DC minivan tested by the IIHS and Chrysler?

I too belive the DC minivans drive and look better as well as have more helpfull amenities than any of the competition, including the imaculate Honda Odyssey. Im assuming you were enjoying your 2001 Town & Country before you heard the news about the crash test. If the fuel problem is the only thing that is making you not want to drive the van any longer, why don't you try trading or exchanging our current van for a late-model 2001 Town & Country with the modified fuel part? You could also wait a few weeks (possibily even days) to get into a 2002 DC minivan.

The 2002 Chrysler Town & Country is a safe vehicle and does have the modified fuel part. In addition, it also has the side airbags to achieve the higher crash test rating. The late model 2001Town & Countrys also has safety features that not even the Odyssey has like 4 wheel ABS disc brakes (2001), automatic locking doors above 16mph, and door/hatch obstacle detection system.

Whatever you do, it's important to feel safe while driving your vehicle. Especially when you have young children. I know I feel safe in my 2000 Town & Country LX and I still would if mine were an early-model 2001 LX :)

-Adam
    Does anyone know for sure what manufacture date constitutes a "late model" 2001 van??? I had read that vans with manufacture date after 7/3. Can that be verified?

TIA
    Pete
    On the drivers door there is a white sticker that shows the date of manufacture it is in the lower left hand corner of this sticker. MDH (month, day, hour) The production change to the new type flange was 7/5/01. So if you are worried about this look for a van with MDH 0706xxxxx. Be sure it says 2001
    That is very helpful info. Again, I am not overly concerned with the issue...but if I can easily avoid a hassle, I might as well.

Pete
  • smccarthysmccarthy Member Posts: 31
    On to a different topic for a moment... There were posts a while back about the Airbag warning light coming on. The part finally came into my dealer and is being replaced today. I was told that D/C issued a recall for the clock spring on the Dodge trucks, but they weren't sure if the vans had be issued yet. Needless to say if you have ANY weird stuff going on with the Airbag lights get your dealer to replace the clock spring ASAP. I think a van recall is imminent. I'll let you know how things go today to see if it solves the problem.
  • gatogonowgatogonow Member Posts: 17
    Chrysler is not deserving of your money! They have said to past owners, we do not care about you we have your money, if you want a safe vehicle buy one of the ones we manufacturered after July 6th.

What will they tell new owners when the next safety issue comes up, my guess is the same thing they are telling us now "go to H". They are even rude when you call them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go elsewhere where you might be apprieciated.
  • roadvan1roadvan1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an April production and want to find a way to improve on the safety of my van.

Has anyone have any success in getting their dealership to repair or upgrade the cracked fuel planges or fuel tanks?

Thanks.
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    Too bad I did not have the Town Hall to help put pressure on Volkswagen and Volvo to get assistance. I will NEVER own another piece of Swedish JUNK (spelled Volvo) nor German JUNK (spelled VW or Volkswagen).
    Although we hated the European JUNK, our 99 GC SE has been perfect. It is possible to get a bad vehicle in any brand and like us, many people are completely satisfied with DaimlerChrysler minivans.
  • abbanatabbanat Member Posts: 57
    I have a 98 T&C LXi that I would like to add the rear bumper scuff pad. Has anyone else here done that with success. I just called my local dealer and he says that part was available only for the '99 and '00 T&Cs and that they may need to "snap" in through predrilled holes. I don't have those holes and am looking for something that is self-adhesive. Any suggestions?
    The IIHS tests were reported to the National Highway Transportation Safety Board (NHTSB). They can order a recall if they feel it is a saftey problem. None of your posts will. Were you the one who posted in the NHTSB customer complaints that the test resulted in a catastropic fire? (It did not, as IIHS does not use fuel in their crash tests) If you live in a large city and your newspaper has a "Cars" section try reading it under recalls, DC does do recalls. (i.e Chicago Tribune) This sundays issue listed a half page of recalls by ALL manufacturers.
    I added the scuff pad to my 96 ES. I did it the hard way, by removing the rear fascia cover (painted bumper) and marking where the holes should be in it then drilling small pilot holes and finally using a dremel tool to add the square cutouts that are required to mount it. Be sure to mask off the top of the fascia before drilling or cutting. It takes about 7 slots close to the tailgate and about 7 square holes nearer the outside edge. The square pegs on the scuff pad are tapered so the square holes must be smaller than the bottom of the pegs. After cutting, the scuff pad is pounded on with a rubber mallet. The dealer told me that some people just cut off the mounting pegs and glued it on. the Pad was around $25.00.
    If you go to the IIHS site and look up the DC tests, you will see the picture of the leaking tank.If you look closely at the enlarged version, you will see that the tank is removed and tipped at what appears to be a 45 degree angle to show the leak area. They stated that the flange that leaked is on the TOP of the tank. Unless the laws of physics change liquid cannot flow uphill! So the tank could only leak under the following conditions: 1. Full tank (including filler neck) and a 40 mile per hour crash. Just pulling out of a gas station or within 20 miles of a fillup. 2. 40 mile per hour crash with van on its side or roof. And remember in the first test it did not leak. The government mandates that on a rollover crash no fuel should leak. Let them make the decision. You should not top off your tank if you are worried until this is resolved
  • mujackmujack Member Posts: 2
    ok,

Part II

So the dealer agrees to set me up with the new flange (or whatever) that is on the '02 van.
    He calls me today and tells me that DC has told him that the current piece in production will not fit on the '01 model. He says if their is a recall DC will have to manufacture a retro fit flange piece for the '01.
    I think he is feeding me a company line... Thoughts?

He did offer to throw in keyless entry. (so I got that going for me, which is nice.)

All in all, the Manager was very courteous, and did try to make me feel better about the whole experience.
    What keyless entry? I thought all DC vans come with a remote that locks/unlocks all doors and opens (power) at least one slide door (depends on models)
  • scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    I never considered the possibility that the new flange might not fit like the old flange. Kind of assumed the new flange was of a stronger material. If the size (thickness or diameter) has changed, then I think a recall is even less likely.

Don't know about a retrofit option, as something not crash tested might not suffice; might as well just epoxy the old flange instead. Now there's an idea.
  • pigfanaticpigfanatic Member Posts: 14
    Drew & David872, Thanks for your input.

I had to take the van in for an oil change anyway so I asked them to check out the water dripping. They said that it dripped because of the large amount of condensation from the AC and the fact that we were driving at higher speeds. They said that they installed a hose that will direct the water down and not let it blow backwards... Haven't been out much since then but will let you know if it does not work.
    Thanks again!
  • bmalikbbmalikb Member Posts: 6
    a local car mat manufacturer (www.racemark.com) recently placed an ad looking for volunteers to have their mats measured for after market production in their factory. these are the guys that produce the large majority of mats for bmw, benz, rover, jag, etc. In any case - i had my 2001 T&C LTD measured. So if you are looking for a back-up set of mats (winter etc) check these folks out. any color, mat,trim or heel pad and any embroidery you'd like.

web site should be up in about 2 months (www.cannonbailey.com)

Suede - It has held up great 13,000 miles later

Clock Spring - recently replaced and cured my erractic airbag light illumination

Tailgate beep - the fix that was posted here works perfectly and took about 23 minutes.

Smooth saliing so far.
    Does anyone know of a decent vendor for aftermarket goods for the '01 T&C? I especially like the rear compartment organizer that DC sells through MOPAR but I think it list for $220. Maybe someplace on the internet sells it at a discount.

TIA
    Pete
  • intrigue2intrigue2 Member Posts: 46
    anyone with experience with the awd version of this vehicle,please give me your feedback,a friend is looking to purchase one.
    also the leaking fuel flange,are retrofits being made to the 2001 models to cirrect this,or only on the 2002 model.
  • dsoiamdsoiam Member Posts: 32
    I would try dodgechryslerparts.com I've gotten a few things from them and they have the cheapest prices that I've found for most stuff. I don't recall seeing an organizer though.
  • automotiveautomotive Member Posts: 7
    I took my T&C to my local dealer about a "rachet" noise coming from the steering wheel housing area everytime I turn the wheel to either direction, and I was told that this is normal. I want a second opinion, thus I'm asking all 2000 T&C owners to go out and check your vans for the same noise I'm hearing. Thank you and I look forward to your response.
    Mine makes a "clicking" noise from time to time.
  • sparkoloungersparkolounger Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone heard of incentives being offered on the 2002 Chryslers? Our local dealer indicated that there would not be any rebates for 2002.
  • zoolandzooland Member Posts: 2
    I am in the hunt for a new van. This will be our second one and I have learned my must haves are rear air conditioning (boy, can the whining wear you down) and 2nd row bucket seats (again, I refer to the whining). Those plastic dividers they have in some taxicabs are indeed tempting!

Anyway, To get the seats I prefer I seem to be limited to models which have lots of options I don't want like a power sliding door etc. Has anyone bought a van with the bench seat and added the buckets themselves?
    After two years of research and following these board we have finally narrowed our choices to either the LXI or the Limited. The only problem is the lack of a decent navigation system. I would really like to have one as I have no sense of direction and get lost very easily. Although Mopar offers one, I have not found anyone who knows anything about it and the dealer suggested we would be better off with an after market system.

I have read great things about the Alpine DVD system similar to the ones offered in the Honda/Acura vehicles.

My questions are:

Does anyone have the Mopar system or know anything about it?

Has anyone installed an after market system such as the Alpine, in either a LXI or Limited van?
    If so what is the best way to order the vehicle's audio system?

I assume the navigation system is part of the audio and therefore don't want to waste money on stereo components that will end up being removed.

My husband feels we would be better of with A garmin hand held or similar type system. I would much prefer one that provides voice directions and was intergrated into the van.

Any suggestions?
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    An ad in Friday and Saturday's newspaper stated

"THIS WEEK'S SPECIAL

NEW 2002 CARAVAN

$19,900 MSRP - 5000 DISCOUNT $14,989 Labor Day Sale
    If a Dodge dealer is offering this type discount, it is highly probably Chrysler dealers will have similar discounts on Voyager and Town & Country.

Have you read about the NEW 2002 T&C EL model for $24,330? Here is a link to Detroit News:

http://www.detnews.com/2001/autos/0108/28/c01-279918.htm

• enviromanenviroman Member Posts: 13
    Just went shopping for a '01 Limited and found out that the cash back has been increased to $3800. The dealer took $10,000 off of MSRP which brought the price to $25,800 plus TTL. Apparently, van sales were down dramatically in August.
  • enviromanenviroman Member Posts: 13
    Went to a dealership last week and they indicated that the '02 LXi had 1,000 cash back or $1,800 lease cash.
  • akportakport Member Posts: 2
    The $2000 cash back incentive ended on Sept. 4th. The Chrysler website says they are updating the incetive information on their website. Does anybody know what the cash purchase incentive is (or will be) on a '01 T&C LXi. One post here mentioned $3800 on a Limited. Is it a Chrysler incentive or just from that dealership? Does it hold for the LXi as well?
  • alfieweb1alfieweb1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have winter driving experience with the traction control? I'm wondering how it will perform as compared to the AWD. I have trouble finding a recent model with AWD but am considering the traction control option as a substitute.
  • cgaydoscgaydos Member Posts: 116
    TC is a poor substitute for AWD. I've had both.
  • hstewarthstewart Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a T&C Limited with a tow package. Does the load leveling suspension and or the tow package affect the ride i.e. stiffer. If so can it be deactivated. HS
  • cgaydoscgaydos Member Posts: 116
    In past models the tow package definitely made for a stiffer ride, so I would expect the same with the '01. Load leveling is unlikely to contribute to a stiffer ride by itself. As to whether you can put in less stiff shocks, check with your dealer. This will, of course reduce the towing capacity.

I have to agree that the '01 Ltd w/ tow package could have a better ride, althought he handling is excellent. I think the real culprit is the lack of an independent rear suspension. I notice that the front of the car does fine on bumps, but the rear axle really transmits the bumps to the rest of the car.
  • cda888cda888 Member Posts: 3
    It is difficult to believe that there can ever be a better time to buy a minivan, and difficult to believe that you can find a better value than the Chrysler Town and Country. There hasn't been a time in recent memory when you could walk into a Chrysler dealership and demand 10,000 off of MSRP and drive off with zero out of pocket. We did just that this week. We weren't really ready to buy a van yet, but with the combination of the soft economy, the recent terrorist attacks, and incredible incentives offered by Chrysler, we were able to get the AWD LX that we didn't think we could afford. We hope we will be as happy with the van in 30,000 miles as we are now. Incidentally, anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the AWD on this van?
    Has anyone purchased the 2002 Model yet? Went to two dealerships yesterday. One indicated that the 2002's haven't been made yet, but at the same time the sales person said she sold two yesterday! The next dealer said they could order one with a delivery of 6 weeks. We are also considering the AWD and were told they would not be produced until later in the year. We were hoping to have the van in the next couple of weeks. Does anyone have any info?

Also, does any one know when the 2001's ended production? We would consider a 2001 that had the new fuel flange which supposedly was corrected in mid-July. Any information would be appreciated.

Not much activity on this board lately?
  • tgouldtgould Member Posts: 1
    I am reading from other posts that I should expect MSRP minus 10 K for T&Cs. However, the best I seem to get is about 4k below MSRP or about $1600 below invoice. Is there anyone out there that is seeing a consistent price on 2001 Limited?
This discussion has been closed.