Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Any Questions for a Car Dealer?

Comments

• rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    .... ** I will risk losing your business over this decision. When I test drive customers who say they are going to be buying "in a month or so", >>>I have never, EVER seen that customer come back and buy a car from me. ** ...

That's a truly a shame .... perhaps you should start doing your own homework .. maybe doing some good follow-up and making sure "your" product gets driven not only first - but last .... most really good salespeople, have a very high rate of return.

Terry ;)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, I was assuming that "doing six months of research" included driving the car. If the buyer didn't take the time to drive the car they were planning to buy, they didn't do very complete research. Then they deserve to drive out of the dealer's lot with whatever the dealer can manage to foist upon them. ;)
  • basscadetbasscadet Member Posts: 146
    perhaps you should start doing your own homework .. maybe doing some good follow-up and making sure "your" product gets driven not only first - but last .... most really good salespeople, have a very high rate of return.

Truth be told, I'm not a great salesperson. I don't prospect or have a good follow-up system. I'd give myself a B- as a salesperson. The one thing I do have is a literally spotless CSI record and I do get referral business. My returns are very high compared to my peers. But, truth be told, I'm not comfortable with calling people at home weeks after I've last seen them in my dealership. I hand them a card, ask them politely for their business. If they do not come back and buy elsewhere, so be it.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I agree with Terry here. It's easy to tell you don't plan to be in this business long term or you would be doing things differently. I suspect you haven't been in the business long? Just a "filler" job?

I don't like time wasters either and I don't like it when I get a person who tells me they are a month or more from making a purchase.

When they tell me this I just ask them "Why"?

I can't tell you how many cars I've delivered THAT DAY to people who told me they didn't plan to buy a car. A lot of times it's just a defense they put up.

I don't hound my customers either but I do call to thank them from coming in and to see if they had any questions. I'll call maybe two or three more times before giving up.

After ten years, a huge percentage of my business is to repeat and referral customers.
    ... ** But, truth be told, I'm not comfortable with calling people at home weeks after I've last seen them in my dealership. I hand them a card, ask them politely for their business. If they do not come back and buy elsewhere, so be it.**

Your being honest .. I respect that.

Terry. :)
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Yeah...that sounds fine and dandy but did you go back to the original salesman?
    ;)
    Mackabee
    I agree, I have sold cars to people who have sworn up and down they aren't in the market yet. It's somewhat of a triumphant feeling, I am sure you will agree. :D

And you are right, I won't be in the business for long. I am not cut of the superior cloth you and Terry are. The ups and the downs are gut-wrenching and very stressful to me. And honestly, the way some of my customers just flat-out lie and mislead me is disheartening.
    I think these people who said "we're not in the market yet" were lying to you so they wouldn't be subjected to high-pressure sales tactics, otherwise they would not have purchased a car that day. Good for you that you were able to work around that "objection".
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    This is where a little skin toughening comes into place. Isell and Terry will tell you it's part of the business and if you let it get to you you will fail. I was that way my first year in the biz. I would agonize for days why someone would go buy a car someplace else after I treated them so nicely. That was part of the problem. Sometimes you have to take the kid gloves off and put the customers on the money and move on. I would take the advice Isell and Terry just gave you about following up with your customers and asking for referrals. It sure beats walking the lot all day long with "shoppers". You have a 50% chance of closing repeats and referrals than fresh ups. Good luck and good selling!
    :shades:
    Mackabee
  • golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    I am out looking for an SUV right now and honestly I don't know when I am going to buy. I've narrowed my search down to about 4 cars (Pilot/Highlander/XC90/Ford). I've done some research but honestly, I want to walk in and see "the" car and the other ones before I make my decision.

I try not to waste the salesman time, I just want to get inside and pick up a brochure. When I narrow it down I will take the test drive.

But when will I buy?? I don't know. With my job I don't have the luxury of spending an entire day hitting 4 dealerships. Some of us just don't have the time to buy, but want to, I suppose if I was in the luxury arena I could have salesman come out to my office...but until that day.... I guess the point I am trying to make, some of us don't know if we are gonna buy a car today, this week or this month...it's not because we are indecisive, its because we just have too much going on.

But I do agree, I think in this day and age you need to continuously follow up on the customer, if you don't someone else will and that person will get the sale.

Smile
    ... **I've narrowed my search down to about 4 cars (Pilot/Highlander/XC90/Ford). I've done some research but honestly, I want to walk in and see "the" car and the other ones before I make my decision.**

You couldn't have dropped by at a better time - because you're a perfect example ... ;)

3 different vehicles doing 3 different things ... so because of your busy schedule all you can do is read the "opinions" on these .. this is where it would be very advantageous for you to rent one or all three over the next 3 or 4 weeks and find out which one will fit your needs the best ..

The Pilot isn't better than the Volvo, and the Volvo isn't better than the Highlander - but they are very different and that's the part you need to find out by driving each one .... you may prefer the height of the Pilot, but like the ride of the XC90 better - or vice versa .. you might like the "look" of the Highlander, but perhaps you might like the interior size of the Pilot ~ or not ..l.o.l... it's all based on "your" personal taste, not the guy you bowl with every other weekend and certainly not mine ...

Do you think that Callaway and Nike sell all those new golf clubs because they're the best thing invented since slice bread.? .. heck no.! .. they sell them because Annika, Phil and Tiger play them (of course theirs clubs get redone and redesigned every 15 minutes) and the their swing speeds are over 125mph when the average guy on the street is maybe 90 .. but the average guy still pays the big money to buy em', even though he can't use them ..l.o.l....

If you're going to spend $30,000/$40,000 on a vehicle, you need to find time to drive em' ... just like the trade values on Kbb and Nada, they are only a ballpark figure or large zipcode to work in ... any research can only narrow down the search (which is a good thing) but until you drive them, those are only opinions - and probably not yours ....

Terry. ;)
    You are right Terry,

I think opinions from friends, websites, magazines should work "into" your decision but not be the basis for them. I know you will kill me on this, but I do take great stock in Consumer Reports, but even with that my last vehicle purchase was not "recommended" I liked the ride and feel of the car. And it has not dissapointed me yet.

I liked the idea of the rental, and need to find an agency where I can get a Pilot/Highlander. The rental shops around me seem to have no shortage of American SUVs.

Here is a question for you guys, I swung buy the Toyota Dealership to pick up a brochure and to see the Highlander Limited. I had all 4 of my kids with me (5 yrs to 8 months) so they had to know I was not buying.

They did not have a Ltd on the floor, only the base model that was "pimped out" beyond belief; non-factory leather, non-factory navi and more chrome than I have ever seen added. Perhaps I am too practical, but is this what buyers are looking for? I always thought these vehicles were in the back and not in the showroom.

Smile :)
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    The Pilot isn't better than the Volvo, and the Volvo isn't better than the Highlander - but they are very different and that's the part you need to find out by driving each one

Then after driving them, I think it is sensible to think about it for a while and maybe do some additional research...then perhaps go drive the final choice one more time, just to be sure. This is why I feel the need to allow several months for myself, rather than buying on impulse in a week as some salesmen on here think people should. This is not only a large purchase, but something that (in my case) I will be living with for probably 10-12 years.
    There are any rental Pilots since Honda doesn't sell to the rental companies. I hope it stays that way too.

Before considering a volvo you might want to look at the extreme cost of maintenance. As they age, they are nightmares as things start to break.

since you plan to keep your next car 10-12 years, this should be a consideration.

And, no, I don't like Volvos for that reason.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Before considering a volvo you might want to look at the extreme cost of maintenance.

yeah my buddy says his started getting costly after 350k miles on it.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    My guess is, it's a lease.
    I don't think anybody here is disagreeing with you. Car purchases should take months, not weeks or days to decide. All I am saying is that much of the research needs to be done before you start test driving, not after.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Nope his uncle bought it outright drove it for 5 or 6 years and gave it to him. He has been driving it for a little more than 20 years.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

As a dealer who sells all four of the vehicles you are talking about I can only strongly urge you to focus your attention on the Pilot and the Highlander and forget the others. Especially if you would like to keep the vehicle for 10-12 years.

And your point about not having a lot of time to buy a car is a good one. Most car dealerships are open from 9-8pm, Monday - Friday as well as Saturdays. My store is also open on Sundays from 11-7p. I often sell cars to people who work 2 jobs and have to come in at odd hours to make the deal. We also have a big kids play area that is monitored so parents can go shopping while the kids play in one of those huge ball pits.
    Thanks Basscadet,

Where are you located, perhaps we can iron something out on the pilot/highlander.

Personally, I like the style of the Volvo, but the more I read on it re: reliability and depreciation the more I am losing interest.

As far as Ford, I always try to keep "some" American car in the mix, just to give the good ole' USA a shot.

I was impressed with the Pilot, more so than the Highlander, however it may have to do because I was looking at the "pimp my ride" version.

As far as the 10-12 years thing, I am going to lease, this is "my car" the one I run through the business. Still bound by a budget, so there is a limit...another reason why the volvo is getting nixed.

I would like the opportunity to "pick your brain" and compensate you accordingly..if that is allowed here.

Smile
    Your friend has been very lucky.

Now, the older Volvos like the 240's were a different story.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Of course I went back to the original salesman.

When looking at furniture, in those big stores when a salesman is 'attached' to you when you enter the store and is then a shadow while I look at everything - if I come back later to actually buy something, I always try to find the same person that shadowed me previously.....
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Honda doesn't sell to the rental companies

Actually, it looks like they do sell to rental companies:

Honda Accord Rental :)

Closer to home looks like there are also some rental Accords and Civics:

Accord

Civic

:P
    As soon as I posted that, I just knew someone would respond.

HONDA does not sell directly to the rental companies but some of the rental companies buy a few Hondas from individual dealers.

You can stick your tongue back in now!
    And I know some of my local rental places offer Hondas, e.g. Enterprise has some Civics. I'm glad for that, too, because it is a great way to get a feel for a car before buying it. I've added some cars on my list (and dropped some) based on my rental experience with them.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    "I'm not comfortable calling people at home.." "I hand them a card, ask them politely for their business"

As a consumer, I would much rather prefer the low pressure approach of basscadet. If I am interested in a vehicle I don't need someone calling me 2-3 times(or more), sending me e-mails and snail mail. Anything more than 1 call is pressuring/harassment of the customer...and that is a turn off. If I am interested...I will call back.

Not calling back is a hint salespeople...got it? :P
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    I am OK with salespeople calling me back under certain situations, e.g. if they promised to follow up with me on something (like a car coming in), or a courtesy call a few weeks or even a few months after I have come in for a test drive, just to find out how I am doing in my search and see if I have any questions. I think that is just good sales practice plus it shows me they are interested in my business. Also, I really appreciate it when a salesperson gives me regular updates (preferably email) on a car for which I have placed a deposit and am waiting for delivery. I've actually never had a case where a car salesperson "harrassed" me with too many calls. I guess they have better things to do.
  • racer63racer63 Member Posts: 83
    Early December I went to one of the larger Mazda dealers not TOO far from home, as they did have a particular Mazda 3 model I wanted to check out. I had a $500 Zoom-Zoom Live coupon that was burning a hole in my pocket due to a 12/31 expiration, and I qualify for S-plan too, so I had some motivation. Salesman and me do the dance, I drive the car; it was just OK, but not the WOW! I was expecting based on the reviews and road tests, so it went from pretty high on the list to pretty low. :(

The experience closing the dealings with the salesman could of been better or could have been worse. There was the obligatory visit from the big guy sales manager, down from the tower. But I've had worse.

The fun began 2 days later when the follow-up calls started. Every day for a month. I had given my cell phone, which is on 24/7, and danged if that thing didn't ring at all times of the day. My job tends to be high pressure with no time to even take care of bodily functions, with a ton of meetings, conference calls and general issues trying to make things happen right now.

Of course, the first week or so I was always in the middle of wrestling with something work related when the calls came through. If it had been my wife calling to tell me one of my kids was in the ER I wouldn't have been able to take them. They still came and came, and honestly at that point I was so ticked, I decided not to answer them. Ain't caller ID great! This kind of persistance is supposed to make me want to buy a car from them? :confuse:

BTW, it wasn't the salesman making the calls either, but a clerical reading off a script, talking so fast in an accent she could be barely understood pulling the voice mails off. Another reason why I didn't really have any loyalty to respond, or guilt about not doing so.

I'll take the low-key here's my card, call me when you're ready approach any day.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I'm not comfortable calling people at home.." "I hand them a card, ask them politely for their business"

As a consumer, I would much rather prefer the low pressure approach of basscadet. If I am interested in a vehicle I don't need someone calling me 2-3 times(or more), sending me e-mails and snail mail. Anything more than 1 call is pressuring/harassment of the customer...and that is a turn off. If I am interested...I will call back.

Not calling back is a hint salespeople...got it?

==========================================================

That is about what I normaly do just one call and one thank you note and then if you don't respond back that is usually it. Of course I have had people on the other end of the spectrum actually get offended that I did not call them more then a couple of times to follow up with them. You just can't please some people.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi folks,
    After 16,000+ posts, this discussion has pretty much run its course. Additionally, the decision has been made to offer more focused discussions to help members locate the info they're looking for.

What does this mean?
    In a few days, we'll be closing this discussion. However, we still want to cover ALL of the topics that we're covering in here. That's why you'll see some new discussions cropping up on the Smart Shopper board, and we're going to re-vitalize some existing ones that aren't being utilized. For example, we have a "test drives" discussion that would've been great for the conversation that just recently occurred. That way, new members who want to ask a question about test drives will be able to find the right place.

Your input counts!
    Please don't post or e-mail "save this topic" messages, because we've already made the decision based on a whole lot of factors including our Forums usage data. However, there's no possible way that I can think of new discussions for all of the topics that interest you. We invite you to post suggestion in this topic:
    Smart Shopper - Suggest a topic of discussion
    Or, you are always welcome to e-mail me to discuss ideas.

Thanks, everyone!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mhs7386mhs7386 Member Posts: 33
    Can anyone tell me about how long it takes for car to be picked up after lease ends? I have to return mine soon. The bank is Chase. I have heard they take as long as a month, and rarely less than two weeks, to pick up your car after you leave it at a dealership.

Thanks.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    We had one sitting here for over a month before chase came to pick it up.
    I had this problem with a Honda Dealership, who "forgot" to let Honda Finance know the car was dropped off.

My advice, is get an acknolowdgement *sp?* from the dealer and make a call to Chase to let them know who, where, and when you dropped off the car.

You could also arrange a "pre-inspection" of the vehicle just to eliminate any suprises for excess wear and tear.

Good luck-
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Folks, comments regarding the decision itself should be handled by e-mail so we don't derail the conversation.

Suggestions for new topics are more than welcome!

Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Can you give us feedback, does
    every “new topic”
    need to be content
    specific, or is it ok to have an
    open and general