Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town and Country EX/LX/LXi/Limited

Comments

• rolfe2rolfe2 Member Posts: 81
    Larry, your coin holder does attach -- align the slot in it vertically and look on the left side of the compartment for a corresponding tab to push it onto. It's difficult to see -- I do it by feel.

--rolfe.
  • lsherlsher Member Posts: 29
    Voila! Thanks, Rolfe, for advice on the coin holder. With your hint, it took me all of 5 seconds to find out how it attaches. Maybe I should call the DC customer assistance line and tell them! There's not a word about it in the Owner's Guide.
    -Larry
    It appears as if DC is *NOT* including the power passenger seat in its LXi 29U package. The brochure clearly says that they are. Buyer beware! My dealer continues to maintain that they will make good on this DC omission.
    -Larry
    Naples, NY
  • pncheneypncheney Member Posts: 1
    I have an '02 LXi with the 29U package and I DO have a power passenger seat. Note that this is a FWD, not an AWD - not sure if this makes a difference.

- Paul
    Re: '02 T&C (LXi)
    What possible rationale is there for DC's decision to use both high and low beams together during the switch from high to low? There is no dual use when switching from low to high. It seems a bit whimsical.
    -Larry
    Naples, NY
  • rrtkerrtke Member Posts: 11
    First I want to start by saying that I really like my van. I'm actually writing to see if others are having the same level of problems with their van or if it is just me.

I have '01 T&C Limited AWD with 11,000 miles on it. I had to had have the power door PCM replaced the first day I drove it home.

Since then I have had to have the rear seats worked on to end a continuous rattling. I have had the "2100 RPM" resonance since day 1. The passenger sliding door was off track and had to be fixed. The driver's side power window regulator has been replaced and the airbag clock spring has been replaced.

Then as they say the s*** hit the fan. 7 weeks ago I was in because of numerous problems. Since then I have been waiting for a new drive axle, steering column, and drivers seat. The dealer tells me all of these parts are on back order. "Apparently others are having the same issues."

A week ago Sunday, they had to come tow the van away because the A/C clutch and bearings seized and burned up making the vehicle inoperable.

Needless to say I am very angry at this point, and am pressing for an extended warranty. When the van is operating properly is the quietest, nicest looking, smooth riding van in my opinion. However, these quality issues are going to be the death of me. Funny how Chrysler is now pushing a 7yr/100K mile powertrain warrranty. Think their crap reputation may be doing some damage to sales?
    For rrtke:
    I am speaking here based on 51 years of driving and 45 years of owning about 15 different vehicles. Your minivan's extraordinary (in my experience) failure history suggests a strong component of dealer incompetence and/or dishonesty.

Competence and honesty are the two key attributes of an auto service organization. Labor rates are much less important, as is the congeniality of the sales staff or the apparent sincerity of the service manager. I have seen the worst: I've seen service organizations that take a fender off of one customer's car to fix another customer's car, or charge the manufacturer's warranty or customer for service work that simply wasn't done, or break B while fixing A in order to generate repeat business. I am not suggesting that your service organization is at this level, but your experience with them is damn suspicious.

It is entirely possible that a lemon, as defined by your state's lemon law, is dealer-created. You should carefully check your state's lemon law. You may be entitled to a new vehicle. Good luck!
    -Larry
    Naples, NY
  • sparkoloungersparkolounger Member Posts: 17
    Anybody know anything about the deductible part of this warranty? I noticed a deductible in fine print on Chrysler's web site
    For Paul Cheney who wrote:
    ---------------
    I have an '02 LXi with the 29U package and I DO have a power passenger seat. Note that this is a FWD, not an AWD - not sure if this makes a difference.
    --------------
    Paul -
    My power passenger seat problem is not sorted out yet. Do you have cloth seats or leather seats?
    -Larry (Lsher@frontiernet.net)
  • ccyoungccyoung Member Posts: 6
    I too like this van when it is working properly. However ours has also had what I consider an excessive number of problems for an eight month old vehicle. Nothing compared to your experience though. In the eight months and 9000 miles since delivery, here is what has gone wrong.

1. Roof rack cross bars replaced because of wind noise.
    2. Rattling noise from what sounded like the rear of the van turned out to be an improperly installed headliner, several retaining clips missing.
    3. Four disk cd changer replaced. Cd player wouldn't play or eject cd's. Dealer did not return the four cd's which were in the palyer and and refused to replace them.
    4. Drivers side window regulator replaced after window went down at a toll booth in pouring rain and wouldn't go back up.
    5. Waiting for replacement drivers seat, on national back order. Heated seat doesn't work.
    6. Driver's side power door has seized at times and not opened, however dealer can't replicate the problem so we wait until it happens again and hope we are near the dealer at the time.

The van is great on the highway and enjoyable to drive. However the workmanship is lacking. I also have a two year old 2000 Maxima which hasn't seen the dealer once since I drove it off the lot. If things keep up at this pace, this will be the last DC car for me and maybe the last American made car.
  • rolfe2rolfe2 Member Posts: 81
    I have 20,000 miles on a Caravan ES AWD, with neglible problems (if you don't count the 2100 rpm resonance issue). The problems are: a front brake rotor(s) is apparently warping (steering wheel shimmy and brake pedal pulsing when braking), and a couple of sliding door rubber bumpers fell out. I don't know if the rotor will be covered under warranty, but the rubber things were.

I continue to have conversations with my service manager about the status of any fix to the 2100 rpm resonance problem on 2001 AWDs (nothing to report). During the warmer months, the problem is only slightly annoying; now that it's cooler, it is quite annoying.

Yesterday I drove a 2002 ES AWD and could not reproduce the 2100 rpm resonance. Under the same conditions, my van was noisy. I've asked the service manager to find out if there was a design change for 2002. Obviously, if there was, I want the change; if not, I want my van to be repaired.

--rolfe.
  • dannyd2dannyd2 Member Posts: 1
    Although I'm new to this forum, I'd like to know if anyone out there has had problems that have us seriously concerned about the safety of our 2001 T&C LX. In a nut shell, intermittently (and you never know when it will happen) when we step on the accelerator, nothing happens ... and I mean even if it is pressed to the floor. There is literally no response until finally after a pause, something seems to catch and off you go. At times when it does decide to "go" the engine roars until it shifts harshly in almost a jerking action. We have found that the problem occurs more often on hot or rainy days and with the dual A/C on. The problem has been with us since the vehicle had only several hundred miles on it (now still under 6,000 miles). The biggest problem is that it is intermittent and the dealer claims it is operating as designed. Anybody else experiencing this problem? Anyone have any ideas what may be causing it? Any help would be appreciated!
  • abk4abk4 Member Posts: 2
    Regarding your power sliding door that seizes at times, I had the same problem on my NEW 02 T&C EX (less than 600 miles). I took it to the dealer and they were not able to replicate. After careful observation, I found that it generally happened after driving a decent distance (5+ miles). It seems the door gets out of alignment with the power drive system. The door will pop open and either not slide or close after a few seconds. The dealer was originally not able to replicate because if the door works the first time after driving the vehicle, it will not fail. The door has to get out of alignment with the power drive system or it won't fail. Only if it fails to open the first time will the dealer be able to replicate the problem. Once I knew how to basically replicate it for the dealer I took it back and they were so amazed they called several technicians over to see it. All found it hard to believe that the door would seize like that. End result, they have ordered a new drive system for my door. It is definitely a problem, and if you experience is like mine it will slowly start to fail more often. GOOD LUCK!
  • mmcnamarammcnamara Member Posts: 27
    My '97 Town & Country LX w/52,000 miles just doesn't seem to have very effective braking, especially compared to my 2000 Odyssey. I just had the system flushed and bled, and checking the shoes through the inspection holes reveals what looks like plenty of lining left. After heating them up with 10-15 hard stops, the brakes seemed much more responsive, but once cool, were back to their old selves. Has anyone had a similar problem? I believe the linings are the originals, so perhaps a little "grabbier" compound shoe is in order? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    While I don't have a specific brand to recommend, when my 1996 T&C's rotors went around 13,000 miles, I had them replaced by NON-Chrysler rotors by my local mechanic. And those sets of rotors lasted great, not giving my one bit of trouble from then on.

Obviously Chrysler has or had a problem with their rotors, so I see no point in replacing them with MORE Chrysler rotors.

If you go to the Jeep Grand Cherokee board, you'll see this problem, along with the transmission woes some of you have been having is not just partial to the Chrysler minivans.
  • auto01auto01 Member Posts: 3
    I got an 01 lxi three months ago, and it now has 3500 miles. Ever since we drove it off the lot, the buttons on the instrument panel (preset buttons, A/C buttons etc.) don't light up when the headlights are on. It's impossible to see what buttons you are pushing. Our dealer said the buttons weren't supposed to light up. Is anyone else having this problem?
    Has anyone tried to move the rear bench seat in the
    Limited to the second row and put the captians chairs in the third row? We are trying to decide between the split bench and the full deluxe third row bench. With three kids, it would make a difference if we cannot move the bench to the second row when more cargo space is needed.
    I assume the captain chairs would fit in the 3rd row since the slots are there for it, I just don't know what the seat belt configurations would be like.

But to answer your question about the 1 piece 3rd row seat, yes it can be moved to the 2nd row with no problem. The split 3rd row can also be moved to the middle position, also with no problem. Hope this helps!
  • f18lumpyf18lumpy Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for advice on extended warranty companies.

I'm considering purchasing a 1997 TC LXi with 68K on the clock. Consumer Reports tries to steer you away from pre-98 models and after reading many of the posts about transmissions etc, I'm looking for some peace of mind.

Anyone have good or bad experiences with particular Extended Warranty companies? Also, any opinions about the 1997 model year in particular?

Thanks
    Jeff Wilcox
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Understanding Extended Warranties

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    .....do not fit unless one removes the outboard armrest. Even then the seat is up against the cabin sidewall and thus not comfortable to sit in.
    Thanks to dave210 and vcheng for a quick response to my question regarding seat configuration. We have finally purchased an Inferno Red Limited AWD Town and Country after 2 years of research and test drives of Odyssey, Sienna and Chryslers. We currently have a 1995 Dodge Caravan with over 120,000 carefree miles. No problems at all. Here is the deal we got:

Invoice plus 1% minus $1500 for the rebate. Although I'm not sure it's a great deal, it is under the price edmunds lists for TMV by about $600.

We opted for the split bench after sitting in the full bench and concluding that it wasn't much more comfortable. We figure when extra cargo room is needed, we will remove the second row seats and put the bench in the second row.

Thanks to all on this board who take the time to post information. Because of this board, I knew much more about this vehicle then the sales people! It's amazing to me that people in sales do not take the time to know their product. Now wonder most of them seem incompetent!
  • f18lumpyf18lumpy Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone confirm or deny this. I was under the assumption the 3.8L motor found in the LXi is a belt driven machine. When talking to a dealership yesterday, the parts list called for a chain. Is the 3.8L chain or belt driven? What is the recommended service interval.

Thanks
    Jeff
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    3.8l V-6 camshaft timing is handled by a chain. There is a serpentine belt for driving the accessories: alternator, power steering pump, water pump etc. Sometimes the tensioner goes bad and this leads to replacment of the belt and the tensioner unit. Usually, the timing chain lasts for the life of the vehicle, assuming good maintenance.
  • clevacnclevacn Member Posts: 8
    Well, after several weeks of trying to get a silver T&C limited purchased for a 28,388 (waiting on the accessories), I was ready to go to the dealership to pick it up. On the way, another dealer called me (I had talked to him about an AWD T&C Limited) and said he would give it to me at the same price. Wow, how could I pass up that kind of deal? It is a 2001 Inferno Red with Towing group, 4 disc CD, heated seats, rear cargo organizer and of course AWD. It was the very last 2001 limited they had so they really wanted to get rid of it in a serious way. I ended up paying less for this 2001 AWD than I did for my 1999 T&C Limited two wheel drive brand new. Anyway, I hope all works OK 10K-100K miles from now. At least Chrysler is offering the free 7 year 100K mile powertrain warranty for only 100 bucks deductable.
  • deacon1984deacon1984 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2001 T&C LTD. It is a FWD. About a month ago, I noticed a whirring noise when accelerating, which becomes very annoying between 2000 and 3000 rpm. (It is not limited to 2100 rpm, but increases in volume up through 3000 rpm). It is a high pitched sound, coming from the engine in front of the passenger seat. Most noticeable when engine is under stress, such as going up a hill, and speed is between 30 and 40 mph. It is more prevalent in cold weather. I have had it to the dealer four times. First two, they replaced a bracket for the cooling system. Last two times, they have not been able to duplicate the sound. Any thoughts on what this might be?
  • phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    Looked on Chrysler.com. 0 Deductible 7yr 100K warranty over $3000!!! Can this be true.
    Just in the beginning stages of a Mini-Van Hunt.
    Makes my head spin just looking at everything. And I am trying to keep my options open, looking at all options. Biggest thing I have seen from all makes seems to be buy an extended warranty.
    So, any comments on cost of factory warranty?
    Thanks, PH
    Like any insurance, the purpose of an extended warranty should be to protect you against big expenses, not small ones. If you get a $0 deductible, you can expect to pay big bucks AND, most probably, to lose your bet.

An important point about Chrysler's extended warranty: During the 0% financing period, if you purchase any of the DC warranties at the time you finance the vehicle, the warranty will be financed along with it, also at 0%. To me, that's a great deal and it is the one I took.

-Larry
    Naples, NY
    Yes, sounds like a better deal at 0%. But how much was your warranty, and terms if you don't mind.
    The most I have paid on a warranty is $2400 for a 7 yr 100K on a V-10 4WD excursion. and only $1200 on my Acura. Chrysler just seems out of the ball park.
  • ttownjonttownjon Member Posts: 4
    Just swapped my '97 T&C AWD Lxi with 70K for an "02 T&C AWD Lxi. $37K for the new one minus $11K for the old one. Took the 0% for the $37K. These numbers in New York if anyone wants to benchmark. (The '02 is loaded w/ everything but TV). Anyway... does anyone have info on aftermarket installation of AMBER rear flashers. (I have the towing harness so I guess this should be easy). I just think amber rear flashers are less ambiguous than all red, but the Sienna didn't come with AWD so I wasn't going Toyota just for the flasher color. Also, any info on a rear bumper extension that might prevent lift-gate dents from SUVs that park by feel. Thanks.
    In response to phkck's inquiry on the DC warranty I purchased on a '02 LXi AWD:
    The warranty covers 6 years or 75000 miles and has a $100 deductible. It is called "6/75 Added Care". The cost was $1190 plus local sales tax. Coverage is on an extensive list of items, as opposed to some coverage plans that say, effectively, everything but wear items like brakes, tires, light bulbs, etc. I have no idea whether this warranty plan will turn out to be a good idea or not. It is transferable to a new owner for a $50 transfer fee.
    -Larry
    Naples, NY
  • mpalmer1mpalmer1 Member Posts: 10
    Need anyone's help who has priced or bought an 02 T&C LXI. I am interesting in buying an 02 LXI with 29u package with the following options:

3.8 liter engine
    leather interior
    side air bags
    traction control
    CD changer-4 disc in dash
    power liftgate
    roof rack
    heated front seats
    full size spare

The best bid I got was $29,881 before tax and tags. Is this a decent price with the market place these days or is it too high?
    Seems like a good deal on an 02.
    With options, MSRP in the $35,500 range.
    Invoice of about $32,500. So subtract current $1500 rebate for total of $31,000. Looks like you are another $1000 behind that even. Seems like a good deal as in KC they are offering $6,000 off the 01's.
    out of curiosity, any trade invloved?
    Larry, thanks for the info on extended warranty. At least will give me a starting point.
    I am looking at 02 Limited's and have not talked numbers with a dealer yet.
    The current powertrain warranty promotion gives me a bit more confidence in the Chrysler.
    So if anyone would like to let us know their latest deals I would surely appreciate the info.
    Thanks for your opinion on the 02 LXI pricing I received. The price I quoted was without a trade which I discussed separately with dealer. For my 91 honda civic LX with 112,500 miles on it, they offered me $1,600 for it.
    Seems price wise you are pretty close to Limited money. Out of curiosty did you try to get a quote on Limited versus optioned out LXi?
    mpalmer, I priced LXi with options. Sorry my original post was so off. The LXi you looked at has the following pricing.
    Pricing (using 29u package) invoice is $30,747. MSRP is $33,575. Current rebate of $1500 if you don't use the financing = $866 below invoice.
    I would think you could still end up close to $1500 below invoice.
    Have you tried any other dealers?
    Once again sorry for the confusion.
  • thegeneraltsothegeneraltso Member Posts: 25
    i am also investigating how to change the blinker to amber ... i don't think one can just swap the light bulb since the blinker light also functions as parking light. however the european version of the van (fyi .. their vans are called the voyayer from diesel to limited -- even the decked out ones) has amber light as blinker (the housing is red/amber/clear). i have my sister-in-law in paris looking into it to see if the wiring is indeed different. will know by christmas since she'll be here for the holidays.
    so what added features are you getting going with a 2002? Looking at limited.
    Looks like no memory seats, no adjustable pedals? anything else?
    The only differences are a new gold/beige color, adjustable pedals (with memory on Limited), a tire pressure sensor in the trip computer, and digital rear audio.

The memory seats have been part of the Town & Country since the 1996 vans, and a part of the Limited ever since its introduction in 1998.

So the only differences are adjustable pedals, the tire pressure sensor, the new Almond Pearl replacing the now discontinued Champagne color, and the rear radio setup for rear passengers.
  • nagromornagromor Member Posts: 1
    This may have been addressed earlier in this posting, but has anyone had issues with their automatic sliding doors? We have a 01 T&C EX. When you use any of the buttons to open the sliding door (i.e. overhead console, key fob) it either operates correctly, opens halfway, or doesn't open at all. Has anyone else experienced this problem?? If so, did the dealership explain how it would get fixed?
    for the price difference I think i will pick up a 2001. don't need the new features as compared to price difference.
    In KCK they have offered 01 Limiteds for $29,995 delivered (Tax & title extra)
    So, will se what can be done over the next week or so.
    Thanks for info, Paul
  • bjohnson71bjohnson71 Member Posts: 33
    Where in KC have you been looking?
    they ran an ad in the Star, first on 02's for that price. Ad retracted and listed 01' Limiteds for $29,995 or so (MSRP $36,200).
    Also, noted the Sunflower Dodge is offering $7,000 of 01 trucks. Has to be some pretty big incentives out there.
    Noticed most KCK area dealers still have many 01 T&C and 02's. Imagine they are all willing to deal.
  • mangeycrittermangeycritter Member Posts: 4
    Just bot 02T&C LXI with all options except towing: Electronics convenience group, side air bags, traction, power lift gate, roof rack, 4 Cd with wireless headphones, full spare, 29U package. Base: 29,175; 29U: 2,220; sum of other options: 3,090; destination: 655; bottom line sticker; 35,140. Dealer discount: 5,600. SP= 29,540. Botfrom sales manager Greg Conover at Main Line Chrysler in Phila, PA. 610-896-8600. By the way, very nice to deal with, unlike my hideous experiencewith Spitzer Acura in PA.
    mangeycritter (sorry-don't know your real name!),

Thanks so much for the info!!! Just a couple of questions:

1. Did your 02 T&C LXI have the 3.8 L engine, leather interior and heated front seats? I didn't see you mention those. But you did mention the electronics group which my deal did not include.

2. Can I call Greg at Main Line Chrysler and see if he can do your deal for me (it could save me over $700!)? If you don't want me to I won't. I live in Philly area and could go to this dealership. My E-mail is tigpalmer@aol.com

How is it driving so far??

Thanks again!

Marty Palmer
    $5600 off a 2002! Good for you!
  • mangeycrittermangeycritter Member Posts: 4
    Yes to all 3: big engine, 2 heated & power front seats, leather interior. Only options not on car: adjustable pedals, AWD, block heater, heavy duty cooling, tow group, and load level suspension. As to driving: I have driven many cars over lots of years, from 47 TC's to Buick Roadmasters from the 50's, to early Toyota Corona's, to Volvo's, to Peugeots, to 528i's, to 300E's, to 01 MDX, and others I can't recall offhand. I presently own a 1996 T&C LX with 146,000 on it. It has been the most unreliable car I have owned except for an old TR3. I bot extended warranty at time of purchase. GE Capital issued the warranty, and over the 100,000 mile term, paid just over $8400 in repairs. Don't ask! As is required by Chrysler, I had many transmission problems, finally going for a full rebuild by Lucille (you may have seen her write-up in the Wall Street Journal. However, when not broken, the 96 is still an enjoyable driver. Body is rust-free, interior very good, etc. Why another? I currently drive a chipped Passat wagon, with about the same performance specs as a Boxster, and it is more enjoyable than any of my Bimmers or MB's. However, I enjoy driving the T&C as much. It is solid, nimble for its heft, and supple over our very bad PA roads. To me, the Honda Odyssey is tinny and somehow smacks of an echo chamber. Acura MDX is getting rave reviews. I owned one for 3 weeks. I'd rather drive the T&C. CR gives T&C high marks in its recent reports, and I hope this is accurate. The fact that I bot a 2nd, after terrible experience with first, speaks to the dynamic characteristics of the T&C or my stupidity. Greg Conover is good guy, not bad guy. They delivered the T&C to me 300 miles away, and took my MDX. I'm happy, and plan to stay that way untilpieces start falling off!
  • eandlcubedeandlcubed Member Posts: 78
    can anyone in the state help me with a question? i would like to replace the lift gate handle on my voyager limited (yours tc limited) with the one on your dodge caravan. the chrysler has the chrome and gold emblem which i despite. i like the caravan's painted handle. of course it is for a 2001 model. i will be in the dc areas soon on holidays and would like to know it before i invest my time over all over your city looking for one. many thanks
This discussion has been closed.