Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Any Questions for a Car Dealer?

1309310311312313315»

Comments

• xkiddx13xkiddx13 Member Posts: 122
    Well thank you for clearing the mess up, i to apologize for being in the dark about what we were disscussing.

like i stated before i belive isell is an upfront and honest person. i just saw that post and wanted to comment on it because i try to be aware of every possible angle that the customer might come in on, and if i can place my opinon out there for someone else to benifit from i try.
  • xkiddx13xkiddx13 Member Posts: 122
    I never said it was standard policy, but lets look at it this way, you are buying a grey honda civic 2006 dx, i know on our lot that we have at least, i said at least 3 of the exact same cars, the only difference is maybe 2 to 3 miles more or less on the odometer. so to place a customer in that car, they may think that they are driving the sameone, that is being detailed and deliverd. i'm not gonna put a customer in a car that has a navi system if the one that they are buying does not have one.. it is called feeling out your customer and using a bit of common sense.
  • mazda6iguymazda6iguy Member Posts: 365
    The only thing I can say is a turn off to me is when there is a group of salespeople hanging around outside the entrance door to the showroom waiting to 'pounce' on the customer the second he gets out of his car. I like to look for a few minutes before I will ask to see a salesperson. That's just my 2 cents. :-)
  • d_goesd_goes Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking at purchasing a Dodge Grand Caravan. While I've had some mixed results with Dodge in the past, it seems as though you can negotiate a price right around invoice plus Dodge is offering $3000 cash back.

I drove a 2006 this morning and the salesman told me that the dealership still had some 05s on the lot - I might want to check them out to see if any met my needs. I plan to keep the car at least 5 years and I'm familiar with the depreciation of the Grand Caravan.

According to KBB, the vehicle "worth" is already below invoice. I'd be tempted to go after a totally loaded 05 SXT. I'm thinking the market for 2005 Grand Caravans is pretty limited as is right now. How much $$ should I be looking to save to make this worth while? Should I be starting at a percentage below the listed invoice? I'm not trying to negotiate dollars/pennies here, but if you buy an "outdated" version of a 2006 vehicle that is not exactly flying off the lot (hence the $3000 cash back), shouldn't you expect a really large discount?

Any guidance?
  • martianmartian Member Posts: 220
    Suppose a dirty, almost homeless-looking gent walks in..and wants to check out an expensive car? Do you waste your time? he could be an eccentric milionaire, who is prepared to buy the car on the spot 9and pay for it with a roll of $100 bills).
    or, he might be just an escapee from the local looney bin.
    By the same token-a poseur ina $5000 suit pulls up-do you fawn on him? (The guy is $500,000 in debt, but dresses like Donald Trump)
  • golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    Gentlemen thank you for the SUV suggestions, (sequioa, lr3) but, I think I am too practical for that type of vehicle and to be honest, I "need" to keep the lease payment in the $500 range.

If it weren't for the fact that my recent move did not land me within 5 miles of my office, I would avoid the SUV entirely. Don't get me wrong, I think they are a fun car to drive and pehpaps a bit more practical in Chicago winters (although, I do enjoy watching to some extent how many I see in the ditch during a snowfall when the SUV driver thinks they are invinceable)

I would appreciate your insisghts suggestions, on a vehicle that will accomomadate my 4 children ranging from 1-6 years of age. This would not be the primary family car, but the back up car- ie pick them up after wife dropped them off, etc.

I would like to stay south of 35K, what are your thoughts?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    There is a very fine line between letting a new arrival get out look around and begin to 'shop' and the over-agressive 'Hi, I'm ____' shake hands and pull'em out through the drivers window.

I think, others chime in, 30 sec's is an appropriate time or about the time it takes to lock the car and look around.

Beyond that there is a 'disrespect' factor that has to be considered. 'What aren't I good enough to warrant someone to come over and at least introduce themselves? Am I invisible?' There are a lot of people who feel insulted in this way especially if they are new to this particular store. How do you know? You dont.

I look at it this way, If a visitor came into my house to look at it they should at least be greeted. It's no different.
  • golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    My guess is there are a heck-of-a-lot more people in this world who carry themselves on that they have more money than they do, than there are eccenttic higher incomers walking around like they are homeless (who remembers when we called these people bums and hobos).
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    well.... I think this might come down to a personal "what do you feel its worth" thing ... but if I've got 2 ways of going about it for you.

First, since there is $3k back on an '06, I'd take that buy price (invoice minus $3k) of a comparable '06 and knock off another $2500 for the '05 (only because this is the arbitrary number I've decided on ... if i was looking at 2 used Caravan SXTs 3 years from now, both with identical miles, I'd pay $2500 less for the one that is a year older).

The other route is to find out what ultra-low-mile '05 Caravan SXTs are going for at auction through the Real-World Trade-In Values board. Then add maybe $500 to that as my first offer ... and maybe stretch up to $2k over auction value. Otherwise, its just not worth it, in my opinion.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    How about the RAV4--starts at just over $20k and is available with seating for 7. If you can wait a few months, the all-new Santa Fe will be out in the same price range and can also seat 7.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    And I can respect that. I work at a dealership that now employs upwards of 40-50 people and has a revolving door in the front entrance. I made a joke about it when the building was first built that the door was going to be used mainly by salespeople coming and going. This past Saturday and older couple driving a 2002 Avalon with our dealership logo pulled in. They weren't even out of their car and one of the newbies was already on top of them. I could see they were upset and even told the salesman to leave them alone and give them some space. They looked at a new Avalon that was on the porch and then walked into the showroom. I glanced inside and the gentleman motioned me to come in. He asked me if I could help them as they were not impressed by the attitude and aggresiveness of the new salesperson that had come up to them. I gladly showed them and Avalon, answered their questions and concerns. I asked who they had bought their previous car from and it was a gentleman that is now at one of our other locations (Not a Toyota store). They also cut to the chase and told me they would be buying a car today and wanted my very best price. I asked them what other cars they would be considering and they mentioned the Lexus es and the BMW 3 series. I informed them about the Lexus redesign coming up and offered to walk them next door to our BMW store and pair them up with one of my partners. After they came back from the test drive I had a proposal for them on a 2006 Limited Avalon then walked them over to our BMW store. My partner Mike was tied up at the time so they decided to stop by later in the day. As the day wore on I called them to find out if they had made a decision but did not get a return phone call. Monday morning I called again and this time the husband call me back. He had decided to go with the BMW since they already had an Avalon and he wanted to try something new. He complimented me on the way I handled the situation and also praised Mike on his performance. He made a comment to the effect that Mike and I should take the newbie and "train" him on the proper way to interact with customers. Later in the day Mike came over and thanked me and promised to send some business over my way. Which he will. I have this kind of relationship with other salespeople in our several franchises so I never have to worry about leaving my store on a busy Saturday to go look at a Honda, or Hyundai, or any of the other makes we sell as I know my partners at those stores will reciprocate.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    Good point, Spyder. When I had no money and wasn't very sure of myself, I ran away from a salesmen and wanted to be "left alone". When I got some money, I still wasn't very sure, so I liked to be left alone for longer.

Today, I have a bit more money than before (nothing big, but enough), I know I have an excellent credit and I'm not afraid. The other day I wanted to take a look at a Volvo V50 and went on Saturday morning to a local store. Since I entered through service and parked there, the salesguys did not see my car coming in - I just showed up on the parking lot. I caught myself getting annoyed when nobody came to me - I think I looked too young or something, so they decided I wasn't worth the trip outside. How do I know? Usually, when I drive to the front door with my WRX, I get a proper greeting. And yes, I am one of those "just looking what is in the market" guys with test drives way ahead of the possible purchase (don't do it too often, though - three-four times a year, tops ;) ).

Point is - the more money one have, the better they treat themselves, the less "afraid" they are of the salesguys. I really don't get those 750Li people in Rover's store. The only possible explanation is is they were windowshopping and then they realized it and got ashamed or something - got to go...

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Golic, I think it's gonna have to be a Minivan, an SUV (Rav4 is the smallest with 3 rows, I think), or a Mazda5.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Suppose a dirty, almost homeless-looking gent walks in..and wants to check out an expensive car?

Remember the alternate reality where George Bailey never existed in "Its a Wonderful Life"? Remember at the bar where we see the druggist? I once worked in at a company where the owner looked at acted just like him. Yet he was loaded.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• sigt1sigt1 Member Posts: 66
    is civic si invoice true dealer price paid or is it dealer price plus hold backs
  • bigdveedubgirlbigdveedubgirl Member Posts: 402
    Does it matter they go for sticker! :P
  • bigdveedubgirlbigdveedubgirl Member Posts: 402
    We all prejudge, any salesperson says that they do not is lying to you. But you treat every person with kindness respect and that person you think is a bum might not be and buy a car from you.

I usually can smell B.S in the first 10 minutes. The guys that come in with the bling and always on the cell phone and talk about thier "business" look at A6s and then after we drive want a 499 lease payment, because they are making several "business" changes so they need a low payment.

Audi A6 and A8 buyers know what they want and all about the cars so when they come in they often want to be left alone until they are ready to buy. They come off aloof but they can be if they want they are buying and $85,000 car.
  • inajoonginajoong Member Posts: 46
    What happens if there is an accident during a test drive?
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Of course I didn't mean to imply that YOU would sprint out at a customer british. I'm sure maybe one in a hundred salespeople would be so thoughtless/inexperienced to do such a thing. I just thought it humorous that someone would be so eager to make a sale that they would run out at me like that. ;)
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I usually can smell B.S in the first 10 minutes

You got it...Looks don't mean much but what they say and how they say it tells the real story. A windmerchant will always say something that will send up the red flag.
  • geekaygeekay Member Posts: 51
    Hi, Have'nt posted for a while, but can any of the good folks here inform if race has anything to do with deal one is likely to get ?
    Hi, Have'nt posted for a while, but can any of the good folks here inform if race has anything to do with deal one is likely to get ?

Nope doesn't matter what the race is running, be it the Indy 500, Daytona or whatever people still get the same deal.

• biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Do a google search on car-buying, race, gender. I recall one study that said that a well-dressed (i.e., expensively dressed) woman got the worst deal.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    Do a google search on car-buying, race, gender. I recall one study that said that a well-dressed (i.e., expensively dressed) woman got the worst deal.

I find it strange that one type of person would get a better deal than another.... The dealership/salesperson will try to make the most they can. They'll naturally start high and work down. When the customer agrees with the price, the deal is done. If there's a well-dressed man, will the dealer just instantly drop $5000 off the price and not even seek any profit? But if it's a woman or minority, they won't budge? That sounds really strange.... So basically this "study" said that the well-dressed woman just agreed to higher numbers than anyone else?
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    Since I entered through service and parked there, the salesguys did not see my car coming in - I just showed up on the parking lot. I caught myself getting annoyed when nobody came to me - I think I looked too young or something, so they decided I wasn't worth the trip outside. How do I know?

See, it's a Catch-22. If you greet too quickly, then it's harrassment. If you greet too slowly, then it's disrespect. And, of course, every person has different definitions for too quickly and too slowly.... It's a no-win situation.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Re: Catch22 - It doesn't have to be that. What I would prefer is that someone make contact with me and then when I say I just want to look around right now, the person would say okay, have fun, my name is whatever. Just give me a holler if I can help with anything.

No harrassment, no disrespect. In fact, that approach shows complete respect in my opinion.
    Did you read what I wrote?

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    This is the proper way, Pat.
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    Suppose a dirty, almost homeless-looking gent walks in..and wants to check out an expensive car? Do you waste your time?

When I was shopping for a Highlander would go to the dealership on days when I was looking disheveled (maybe was in the middle of painting a room or just got done doing a long hike on a muddy trail, etc.) -- I was rarely bothered by salespeople when I just wanted to be able to think to myself while evaluating the different trimlines and features available.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    "would go to the dealership on days when I was looking disheveled"

Why wait days till you look disheveled? Just pop a couple alka-seltzer in your mouth...the salespeople will think you are rabid. Won't come near ya with a 30 foot pole.
    Of course they may call the pound or animal control on you. :sick:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Another good way to keep the sales folks away from you is:(not necessarily in this order)

1. Be talking on your cell phone endlessly while walking the inventory (salespeople will think you lost your way and ended up at the dealership unknowingly)
    2. Do not bathe for 1 or 2 weeks (this one works like a charm)
    3. Scream at the top of your lungs "who wants to sell me a car today?" and see how quickly the sales people run away from you.

:blush:
    Mackabee
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Thanks for the laugh, mack, and for ending this discussion on a good note :)

This particular conversation can continue in our discussion called How to find a quality salesman.

Please keep the suggestions for new topics coming here:

Smart Shopper - Suggest a topic of discussion

If you've got ideas for a sales biz discussion, I'd be glad to hear about those too!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.