Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems

Comments

• csteckercstecker Member Posts: 2
    For the past 6 months my '95 Quest has developed an audible klunking noise in the front suspension when traveling at low speeds over mildly bumpy surfaces. Two mechanics have found nothing in the struts, control arms, front stabilizer bars, steering rack or otherwise. There is a engine mounting bracket which seems to be tight. Has anybody experienced similar problems and figured out what is wrong? Thanks for any suggestions or other resources/sites.
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Two mechanics? Were either of them at the dealer? If there are any "funny" things going on, a dealer mechanic might be best to pinpoint this one.

Did these guys drive the vehicle and hear the noise I hope?

guitarzan
    Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • pallavapallava Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks,
    I bought a Nissan Quest SE about 20 days back and
    it has the arm rests limping or in a bent down position. Any suggestions what to do.
  • csteckercstecker Member Posts: 2
    Both mechanics drove the van, heard the klunk but found nothing loose. Neither was a dealer.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    the arm rests are like that if you have the seatback very upright. They even out when the seat reclines. Don't think there is anything you can do about it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• charles15charles15 Member Posts: 57
    Have a '99 Quest with 8K that has developed a vibration and noise when braking. I can only detect it at the very end of the stop and usually when turning right. Sounds like a tire rubbing sound - like you hear when running new tires on a ribbed highway. Any suggestions?
  • dhoffdhoff Member Posts: 282
    I don't have any experience with replacing tires on a Quest yet. Ours has only 20,000 miles so far on the original Goodyears, so no new tires yet, I can't help you there.

But it does sound to me like you may have an alignment problem. If your tires are cupped and the last two sets of tires only lasted 20,000 or so, there is something wrong (unless they were super-soft, sticky performance tires. Do you autocross your Quest?) At 20,000 miles the tires on ours show little wear. If I were you I'd take the van to a shop specializing in alignment and have it checked immediately after getting new tires.

It's good to hear from someone that has had few problems with their Quest. Usually only hear the bad stories here... though the exhaust manifold repair can be expensive. Was yours covered under warranty?

Dave
  • mooky6mooky6 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your comments on the tires. I do drive quite aggressively, so the wear may be faster than average. The replacement tires have both been high performance types. Your suggestion for the alignment after installing new tires is exactly what my mechanic said as well. I think also the tires should have been rotated cross wise and not just front to back.
    As far as the exhaust manifold repairs, the front one went at 78,000 miles and the back one at 84,000 miles, so both repairs were out of warranty. The front repair cost $450.00 and the back was $600.00. I went to many shops for quotes on these repairs (dealers both Nissan and Mercury, Midas, etc.) The prices quoted ranged from about $400 to over $1000. Different Nissan dealers also quoted completely different prices. We ended up at our local Nissan dealer for the repairs. They have been servicing our Quest for the past 5 years.
    Despite these few problems we still love our Quest and have no reason to trade it in on a new van.
    Charles, if it only happens when braking, then it is most likely a brake problem, however, it will need an inspection to show for sure. They could have worn prematurely, or it could be a fluke and one of the brake pads broke. Let us know!

guitarzan
  • mavillamavilla Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a 93 Nissan Quest GXE loaded
    including towing package, power everything and leather in mint condition with the exception of a few side door dings. The mileage is 63,000 and the owner wants $10,000. This van has a documented service history. The previous owner is willing to include replacement of the timing belt and water pump which the manufacturer recommends
    replacement at 60,000 miles.
  • asthar40asthar40 Member Posts: 5
    For all 99 quest owners nissan issued a recall on this years model due to a defect in the gas tank retainers which if not fixed could cause a fire in the event of an accident. I am taking mine to the dealer. The recall only affects 1600 vehicles according to nissan but I need to know if mine is one of those I suggest you do the same. Even if they say your vin # is not affected have it inspected.
    Mavilla, fee free to go here for help:

What's a fair price for this used car ?

guitarzan
  • aldavealdave Member Posts: 11
    We've had few problems with our 93 Quest. Other than routine maintenance, including a timing belt change, the only problem has been the failure of the ignition switch/steering wheel lock at 95K miles. It was only a $125 job at the local Nissan dealer. The exhaust system is probably the next repair.
    Reference my post #123, I took my 99 Quest (9k) to the dealer this morning to check out the rubbing sound that I had when stopping. The rotors had to be turned and the inboard pads resurfaced. When I asked them why, I was told that it is a problem with the "Ford designed" calipers on the Quest. Apparently the inboard pad works loose and causes the problem. Unfortunately, I believe that it is a systemic problem that will reoccur. I need to keep an eye on it. Can anyone tell me about how many miles you are getting on a set of pads in normal city/suberbs driving?
    On the brake issue, we have 20,000 miles on our 99 Quest so far and have had no brake problems. I haven't yet checked how much the pads are worn.

Next time I change the oil I will check the pads.

Dave
  • jr1drjr1dr Member Posts: 5
    Hi
    I have noticed a few posts regarding exhaust manifold bolts cracking. Since the '99 quest is using the 3.3L pathfinder engine will this continue to be a problem? I have checked the Pathfinder posts but did find anything.

I also read that the pathfinder will recieve the maxima engine in 2001. Will this engine be placed in the quest as well?

I test drove a '99 quest yesterday. I noticed that the acceleration was brisk up to 45-50mph but then backs off. How is the acceleration at freeway speeds? Unfortunately I did not get to freeway test the vehicle.

I am deciding between a quest and sienna. Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    I was told by a nissan certified mechanic that the manifold design problem was corrected for newer models, even prior to 99 models. Hopefully, I wasn't just being fed a line...

Brakes- So far, no problems here. 5k+ miles. Not a squeak or creak. I'll keep my ears open.

Highway speeds- I haven't noticed any lack of power at higher speeds, at least for my needs. Cruises at 95 mph as though it were only going 55 mph. Real smooth. ;-)

If you have any doubts, you should go back and test drive it on the highway. Either way, Sienna or Quest, you can't go wrong. Good luck with your decision.

Pocahontas
    Community Leader/Coupes, Convertibles, and Sports Cars
  • smbfujarsmbfujar Member Posts: 7
    I just saw your question and wanted to share our
    experience.

The wiper switch was replaced by our dealer nearly
    three months ago, and we haven't seen the problem
    since. Our dealer said he had seen the problem in
    a few other 99 Quests, and knew exactly what part to replace. It must've been a part on hand,
    since the vehicle was in one evening and back out the next. FYI, part was called "front wiper/washer switch" on our repair ticket.

Hope your dealer is as good as ours has been.
  • asthar40asthar40 Member Posts: 5
    Any vehicle after 75000 miles is going to have problems, sometimes major problems. If you believe you are going to buy a vehicle and drive it 90000 miles with no wear and tear goodluck. And if you find it sometimes it is pure luck. Most reputable car dealers will not sell a vehicle after a certain amount of miles on the odometer because they are aware of mechanical parts breaking down . Because one vehicle had trouble at any number of miles does't mean all others of the same make are going to suffer the same problems. If you can afford it after 8 years it is time to drive something else.
  • apexpcapexpc Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys I'm new here and I just wanted to get your opinions and advice.

I recently bought a used 1994 Quest GXE with 90,000 miles on it. I seems to eat up a lot more gas than I think it should. I am only getting 16 miles per gallon highway and about 14 on the city. I already had it tuned up and it is now actually better than before.

Is there anything else I can do to it to improve the gas mileage?

Thanks,
    LC
    Check out the "Quest for better gas mileage topic in this conference. There is a nice list there!

guitarzan
    Bobs123, just curious: Did you buy new or used?

guitarzan
  • tonymantonyman Member Posts: 2
    Purchased a 99 Quest around the August time frame. Had to bring it to the dealer today. The car is leaking anti-freeze (less than 2000 miles on the odometer). They haven't diagnosed the problem yet but have told me the leak is coming from behind the timing cover. Hopefully not a big problem. In addition, I'm also not to happy with the gas mileage. Definitely less than what is expected (around 17 miles/gallon). Has anyone else experienced the anti-freeze problem? Any comments would be appreciated.
  • bobs123bobs123 Member Posts: 2
    Guitarzan,
    Yes, indeed we purchased it new, and did every recommended and required service at the dealer.
    Oh, and did I say that we also replaced the center console fan switch 3 times and yesterday I was driving it and the winshield wiper fluid squirter is broke now.
    - Bob
  • lgorbonosovlgorbonosov Member Posts: 3
    I bought my Quest GXE in August also. So far did not have any problems, but 2 things bothers me:
    1.Mileage is low (as others complained already)
    On highway it is about 18-19m/g.
    2. Sometimes I hear strange sounds from the brakes. Is this due to ABS?

Any ideas?
  • tonymantonyman Member Posts: 2
    Well the verdict is in. The Antifreeze leak was due to a defective thermostat housing. Dealer waiting for part.
  • rickrozrickroz Member Posts: 26
    I received their security plus silver plan in the mail a few weeks ago. Nissan seems to cover almost everything for the specified period you choose to purchase. There is a $50. deductable per covered repair and they cover towing (if a covered part caused the breakdown). Has anyone purchased this plan? It costs ~1000-1250 $. I have a 99 Quest SE,but there really isn't long term reliability data around. I have had no problems in 10k miles and feel the newer Nissans are pretty reliable.
    Reference post #146, I had to take my 99 Quest with 8k miles back to the dealer because of brake noise. The dealer had to turn the rotors and adjust the calipers and brake pads. The service manager told me that there is a systemic problem with the FORD designed calipers that allow the brake pads to back off and rattle and scrape loosly in th caliper. I am not sure that it is still totally resolved. I am concerned that because I had to turn the rotors so soon that their life span will be reduced. It is a problem worth watching.
    Thanks for following up charles15.

Wouldn't you think they could make a simple fix, like re-designing the brake pad clips to hold the pads in place?

Yes, rotors should not have to be turned so soon. If they fail at an early age, is Ford going to pick up the tab? I'm thinking around 16k miles, will this happen again? Did they give you any feedback on how they'd take care of you?

guitarzan
  • omoshileomoshile Member Posts: 1
    With so many problems identified with these cars, why should anyone buy them ? I mean, the list is becoming endless.... brakes, wipers/turn signals, road noise, engine noise, antifreeze housing, power windows, rust, trannies, etc... etc...

I ask this question bcos the other day I had to take my 1996 Nissan Maxima to the Nissan dealership for a recall to fix the oxygen sensor. As I waited for my car to be fixed, a sales guy approached to try and sell me a Quest. He had a lot of good things to sayabout the car. I listened patiently but decided I'd like to get more info from other sources before coming back to talk to him. Now, I have no plan to even think of a Quest.... Jeez... it is a bad vehicle period..

On a different note, on a recent trip to Japan, I learnt that Nissan has merged with Renault ! Does anyone know this ? A merger story b/w Nissan and another car manufacturer has not been announced in the US. Being in Japan was an eye-opener to the cars even *most* Japanese favor to buy... certainly NOT NISSAN, more often than not, it is either a Toyota (more) or Honda...

Buyers beware
    Relatively speaking, the 99 Quest has actually had very few/minor problems.

If you don't want problems, don't buy a vehicle, period. There isn't a single make/model in this forum that does not have their list of problems... even the Hondas and Toyotas.

As for your Nissan Maxima, Consumer Reports rates it as the best in reliability, above both the Accord and Camry. (Much to my own surprise.) So don't let a little problem with an oxygen sensor get you down.

"one a different note": Nissan merged with Renault about one year ago. Since then, Nissan stock has risen over 100%. Wish I had invested before the merger.

Talk to everyone later. ;-)

Se Quest owner

Pocahontas
    Take a look at the problems page for the Sienna and the Oddessy - the two hottest vans on the market- seem to be more problems with these than with the Quest. Then if you really want to see big problems look at the Chrysler vans or the Windstar reports. The only problem that I have with the Quest was the less than stellar crash test results.
  • lgorbonosovlgorbonosov Member Posts: 3
    I have Quest 99 GXE with 4k on it. I've mentioned before about brake noise and someone adviced to check it out, because it could be brake pads designed by Ford. I wend to dealer and described him the problem. He told me it is known problem. Many new customers complained about it and NISSAN knows about it. He said that noise is not consistent (it is true) and caused by some new abrasive materials used by NISSAN for brakes. He says that nothing wrong with it and this is the way it works.
    Has anybody hear about it?
    Any comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Larry
    Periodically, manufacturers switch materials in order to mate a proper material to the particular vehicle. Sometimes strange noises abound. Remember in the 1980's when many brakes were squealing? They changed the materials due to asbestos being outlawed. People wanted the squeal to go away, so they changed materials. The new ones were silent, but wore quickly. Worse!

A long term test to see how the pads and rotors wear will be your best bet.

I yield to those who have more info on this particular problem.

guitarzan
  • ayersrtayersrt Member Posts: 1
    Had a mechanic tell me that the cause of the
    broken manifold bolts might be the combination
    aluminum/iron motor. Different expansion for
    the 2 different metals. The all aluminum motor
    in the Maxima probabaly doesn't have this problem.
    I'd say probably 80% of engines now are aluminum head/iron block. The exhaust manifolds attach to the heads only, which are aluminum. They are attached with steel studs threaded into the heads. This is common practice.

I think the problem Nissan had was the studs were underdesigned and too weak and broke easily. They are now replaced with a redesigned, stronger stud.

Dave
  • wander214wander214 Member Posts: 1
    we are debating between a 1999 grand caravan SE, and a 2000 Nissan Quest SE. Any suggestions
  • VshunVshun Member Posts: 21
    Hi,

our 10 month old 99 Quest battery died twice within the last month. Visit to our dealer did not give us anything, they said they checked the battery and its charged and is OK. Immediately after that I went to the store and bought battery tester, it showed only 65% charge the next morning (at the same time, showed 100% charge on my 5.5 year old battery in Corolla, so tester is working fine). I believe it is not OK for a new battery, or it just drains somewhere in electric circuits.
    Anybody had any experiences with that and was it addressed by a dealer. I do not know when the van will not start next time and this is rather unpleasant. I have TV/VCR connected to power seats and am thinking if it can drain battery that much.
  • gd4961gd4961 Member Posts: 1
    I have the Brake problem also, my Quest is 3 weeks
    old and has 1600 miles. I have an appointment
    tomorrow at the Nissan Dealer, I will let everyone
    know what they have to say.
    Vshun, if you suspect the TV/VCR, then disconnect it and see if the problem goes away.

If not, any of the devices on the vehicle could be draining current if there is a short somewhere. Electrical problems like this are very hard to diagnose, so hopefully the answer is something simple like you suggested.

guitarzan
    One of the first things you do when there is an electrical problem is to look where repair work was done last on the car. It's most likely your VCP connection. If the wire feeding your VCP is always hot, even with the ignition off, it will slowly drain the battery. At least on ours, even if the power switch is off, there is a little pilot light on the VCP.

So guitarzan is right, disconnect it and see what happens. If your battery stays charged up that's the problem. If not, take it in to the dealer because there's definitely a problem.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Dave
    If you're thinking it's the audiovox that might be the source of your problem, let's also compare how our Quest's audiovox's have been hooked up.

My tv/vcr is also connected directly to the van's power source; at 6k miles I've had no problems with my battery. However, my Audiovox cannot be turned on if the keys are not in the ignition.

Did you once mention, that you could turn your audiovox on on even when the van's is not running, and keys are not in the ignition? If so, then you may be correct about it draining the battery. Just a thought.

Any other 99 quest owner want to comment on how their vcr/tv is hooked up...?

Pocahontas
  • VshunVshun Member Posts: 21
    My audioVox is hooked up through the power seat, it means it is connected through a constant power. Light on it is On, just like your TV light, the question is how much power it really drains. Cars nowadays have alarms on as well as remote door lock openers attached to the battery (I presume this door opener is also always On waiting for the signal). I am curious how much drain can TV/VCR stand-by be in comparison to those "standard"devices. I am not so sure it was a good idea to connect VCR like this.
    How do I disconnect TV/VCR in this case to check it, it looks hardwired to power cord under the floor mat.
    Also, if I find this is the culprit - what would be my options - any advice is appreciated
    Nissan and/or Audiovox is responsible for this problem. I would call both Nissan and Audiovox customer service's 800 numbers and ask for their opinions. They should be able to talk to an engineer/specialist about the proper procedure for the hook-up.

It may be that you'll have to go back to your local audiovox dealer to have the problem checked out. You have a 36m/36k warranty for the Audiovox that should cover this kind of service at no charge.

Btw, mine is not hooked up through the power seat. It's directly hooked to another source in the dash. The wiring is underneath the carpet, so nothing is seen. The light on mine does not stay on all the time. Keep us posted.

Good luck.

Pocahontas
    Community Leader/Coupes, Convertibles, and Sports Cars Conference
  • jkrolakjkrolak Member Posts: 38
    I am getting my TV/VCR installed tomorrow. Installer says that they will wire it so that it only can be turned on when the ignition key is installed. If your installation is causing problems, then your beef is with the installer. My installation literature DOES NOT even mention wiring it directly, only to use the 12V lighter plug. Neither Nissan nor Audiovox are responsible for the installation, only the installer.
  • m6chem6che Member Posts: 18
    Isn't it amazing that there isn't a standard electrical hookup required by Audiovox for their TV/VCR installation when there are thousands going to be installed in the same van???!! Dumb.

My unit was installed with a power switch on the front right of the driver's seat base about 3 inches off the floor. I can reach done and flip it on (and off for those moments when you've had enough childrens' videos...)

Both the TV and VCR are "instant on". They can draw a significant amount of power even when they're "off". Your installer didn't do a good job. It should be switched, or wired to require the key in the ignition to power up.
    Mitch
  • jkrolakjkrolak Member Posts: 38
    I believe that the "standard" way to hook up the Audiovox is to use the Cigarette lighter power plug -- at least that is what the installation instructions say. The audiovox installers usually ask if you want to "hardwire" it in for an additional fee. This is/was your decision. Please don't start micromanaging Nissan. If you want to see how that deadends, go to the Odyssey forum and listen to the sadsack owners of the do-it-yourself genre whine and cry and throw fits due to the fact that they have and are being ripped off big time. The 2000 Quest has the TV/VCR already installed (according to previous posts).
    The Quest is a lot of minivan for the money --for those who do not want or need a bigger box. Just my opinion.
  • ambradleyambradley Member Posts: 7
    I've been out of the forums for a while. My van is now just over 13k miles. I've developed the following slightly odd problems and wanted to see if anyone else has:

On the dash, where the plastic around the instrument cluster meets the next piece to the right, there's a piece of tape or something that is starting to stick out. The piece itself seems to be shrinking away - it also goes over the instrument cluster, and it appears to be shrinking a bit away from the top of the dash.

The rear seat's right pull tab from the rear to move the seat back doesn't pull the mechanism far enough to allow you to move the seat back. The left latch doesn't have this problem.

I also have a vibration in the front when driving, noticeable in the steering wheel. Happens whether I'm braking or not.

Finally, I have the intermittent wiper swipe problem.

My wife is the primary driver, so I'll have to give her the car and take the 1967 Datsun (Nissan) in to work while we get the car into the shop. I may do it next week.

Have any of you had these problems (other than the wiper swipe and front-end vibration)?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    I have been noticing the vibration in the whel (you can feel it, and actually see it if you take your hands off the wheel). Of course my wife thinks I'm nuts, but I'm usually right about these things (being much more "in tune" with the dynamics of our cars, or paranoid as she would say).

A common cause of the shaking is out of balance tires. After 10 -13 K miles, this is entirely possible. Post back if they find anything else, since I'm going to have this looked at next month with my next oil change.

Thankfully I left my phantom wiper swipe behind with the Voyager I traded in. I ahve noticed a piece of tape (insulation?) between 2 of the dash pieces, but it has always been there and doesn't bother me (not as much as squeaks from dismantalling the dashboard would).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• m6chem6che Member Posts: 18
    jkrolak - Not a Nissan issue, but.... Differences in installations of the TV/VCP are due entirely to lack of installation standards at authorized Audiovox stores. If the "standard" is the plug to the electrical outlet, seems Nissan has a stake in not having battery problems, electrical problems, shorts, etc. due to "random" installation to REALLY standardize the instructions for the Quest. They can put those little disclaimers about "not a genuine Nissan part", but wait until the first real screw-up (a fire?) and Nissan will find out from the lawsuit what that's worth.

Don't get me wrong, Concord Autohaus did a great job on my install, but bad Audiovox work seems to keep popping up.

BTW, haven't seen any posts from people who paid extra for hard-wiring. I wasn't even asked. Most persons posting about their installs (the ones who actually installed it!) seem to have had the unit hard-wired.

OK, OK, sorry, enough of beating a dead horse!
    Mitch
This discussion has been closed.