Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 7-Series 2006 and earlier

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Well, I can't believe that I'm agreeing with Chris Bangle, but the look of the new 745 is really growing on me (especially since I'm such a big fan of the 740i Sport). It has a commanding presence about it when it is coming toward you similar to the previous generation S Class. The rear end at night with the tail lights lit up looks great. And I hate to say it, but the "old" 740s look sated when you compare it to the new 745i (Unlike the E36 3 series which still look good IMHO).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• sysadbsysadb Member Posts: 83
    I'm with you, nyccarguy. I have a 98 740 and the new car looks much more purposeful. I parked mine near a new one yesterday and concluded mine was a Plain Jane. The new car is better in every way to me, especially the looks, room, and power.

If anything hurts the sales of this car it will probably be the i-drive. I think that in 2-3 years most people will want this on their cars, although for now I can see where it might scare away some buyers, especially the techniphobes. But in the long run BMW will be remembered as innovative for introducing this option.

DB
    I agree with you that the i-drive is definitely a concept that people will have to warm up to. My original complaint with it is that if you look at the target audience of the average 7-Series buyer (and throw the NASDAQ crowd out the window) who can afford a $70,000 luxury car it is older people (50's - 70's) who aren't into technology as much as the 3 series (who don't want i-drive either) crowd. 2-3 years down the road, the will refine the technology and make it MORE user friendly.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• dakine1dakine1 Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed several comments regarding build quality in these newer cars. I have owned over forty BMW's since 1972, the majority of them being six and seven series cars. There is, without question, a decline in quality, most noticably in the models produced from 88/89 on. I have always felt the seven series to be the best value on the planet, particularly the pre 93 models. These things are true high performance luxury sedans that are a joy to own. The "Big Six" is a world class engine, proven over time to be bullet proof. You really have to abuse this engine for a long time before it comes back to bite you. For me, the jury is still out on the newer V-8's. While they are extremely quiet and smooth running I am more impressed with the performance of the 3.5 six with the 4 speed automatic (not to mention ease of working on). I will continue to drive seven series cars for a long time, although nothing that comes from Mr. Bangle's board.
  • dahamdaham Member Posts: 3
    I am new to the thread and have just purchased a 1999 740i Sport with about 45,000 miles on the tires. The tires looks like they will be good for about 5,000 miles, and I was wondering what the group felt were the best tire sizes and brands to replace them. It currently has Michelin Pilots 235/50 ZR18's front, and 255/45 ZR18 rear.

All suggestions will be appreciated.
  • drlickermandrlickerman Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone encountered difficulty in seeing the instrument panel in sunlight. Specically the mileage & odometer readings as well as the area for the clock and temperature?
  • tbavartbavar Member Posts: 1
    The 745i has a recall because of faulty electronics. The on board telephone does not communicate. The Navigation system does not work properly. BMW has my car for two weeks trying to fix it. The screen is also too hard to read. With glasses on my vision is 20-20. The print on the screen is too small and not light enough. I suggest waiting to buy untill BMW works this out. By the way - it drives great but you are paying a lot for those electronics.
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    Take a look at the specs! Incredible weight ratios. Look at the photo page. This is an GOOD interior design!

http://www.germancarfans.com/News.cfm?NewsID=2020709.001

• nszabonszabo Member Posts: 19
    answer to #648 and a Question...

If reliability is a must go with a japanese make such as Lexus, if you want a car that is a serious driver get the bmw. I have a 2000 740il love it, best car I've ever had, only problem I have now is that the left rear door does not lock and unlock.Any of you guys have an answer to that???? Thanks.
  • maw1982maw1982 Member Posts: 62
    Hi,

I am looking at late model ('95-'01) 7-series and noticed that all of them had either a built-in phone or phone wiring (a wire where th phone should go with a plug in the end. I wanted to know if I could hook up my cell phone (motorola i95cl) and used the hands-free features the car ofers. THanks
  • pirhpirh Member Posts: 1
    I would greatly appreciate some of your experienced opinions on what routine maintenance and anticipated repairs should be expected on a car like this. I am thinking the best way to go is through a BMW dealer and get the Certified Warranty, but perhaps it is not worth the additional costs. I am inclined to believe nothing should go wrong in the first 100K miles (that didn't show up fairly quick) on such a fine vehicle, but am looking for suggestions. As far as maintenance goes, what can I anticipate for routine stuff like oil changes, tire rotation, tire replacement, brake replacement, etc on something with new tires and 40K miles. $40K is quite a bit to plunk down on a used vehicle and I just want to be aware of the operational costs to expect. Thanks in advance for you responses. By the way...I think the 740IL is most likely the finest vehicle I have ever had the pleasure of driving!!! Dan
  • maw1982maw1982 Member Posts: 62
    I'd like to know the anticipated costs also. I am looking at a '96 750il with 41k miles. I think $28.5k is a great price but I just want to know what I am getting myself into.

BTW, does anyone look at this board. I have not gotten any responses to my post above. Can I hook up my digital cell phone to the hands-free guts of a 7-series BMW? Thanks
  • linardlinard Member Posts: 59
    I have to admit, the new 7 is growing on me as a close friend just purchased a beautiful copper/bronze 745Li with chrome wheels, unfortunately, she has decided that one more problem and she will return it. In 1000 miles, she has had to return to the dealership 4 times for some niggling electrical issues. First, her check engine light came on and the dealership, Crevier BMW, did not know why it came on so they reset it. Then the computer said the airbags were malfunctioning and now her car says it has four completely flat tires when they are all within normal PSI specs and she has had another problem which I cannot think of now. None have been as severe as experienced in her previous car, a 99 Jaguar XJ8L which blew it's transmission (I guess maybe that's why they put the Benz S-Class transmission in all the supercharged 8-cyl Jags?) at 35,000 and was in the shop another 8 times for a faulty interior, an engine fan that wouldn't turn off after the engine shut off until the battery was dead, and many many other electrical and hardware issues. However, I cannot accept that an 87 grand car has had so many issue. I understand that while Hondas and Toyotas are much simpler, the price you pay for a Jag or Beemer should amount to better engineering etc. I have not met one person that fears a first year Honda or Toyota but a first year Beemer, Benz, etc? I wouldn't get one... But then again, our 525i is far from being a first year, and it has not been reliable either...
  • force98force98 Member Posts: 81
    First, I would never own a 740i/iL without a warranty--the CPO will defintely pay for itself, as the car is known to have some problems. A few of them are disappearing pixels in the instrument cluster and radiator neck failure (and don't use the cup holder, as it will only break). They are wonderful cars, but are VERY expensive to fix and maintain.

Other specifics:

Lube, oil, filter - depending on your location, dealer charges $50-$75. Keep in mind the car uses synthetic oil

Tire rotation - BMW does not recommend rotating the tires

Check to see if the car has had Sevice II. If not, this can cost upwards of $700.

For excellent info and great tips from great guys, go here: http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e38/
  • syodersyoder Member Posts: 1
    Hello. Considering '95 740iL with 123k miles. Tennessee car. What items/areas might be suspect at this age/mileage and therefore bear close scrutiny?
    Thanks, Stan Yoder, Pittsburgh.
  • auzivisionauzivision Member Posts: 8
    I'm thinking about selling my 98 STS with 100K miles to pick up a 96 740 iL with 75K. It appears that I'll have to add $6K to $8K to make this happen. Does anyone have experience with both vehicles that could offer advise?

What are the pros and cons?

Here are some that immediately come to mind.

Pros: More room, more comfortable seats, better ride and handling

Cons: Slower acceleration, lesser quality sound system, dated IP, higher maintenance cost

How gracefully do these large BMWs age? The Cadillac at 100K is running strong and still feels fairly tight, easily has another 50k to 100K left of fairly reliable driving.

Bottom line, should I make this jump?
  • kthor6kthor6 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone have any good scoop on possible re-design for 2003? I've read so many i-drive horror stories that I feel like it might be best to wait until next year's model comes out. If so, has anyone heard that efforts have been made to work out the i-drive kinks for next year's model?

Also, if anyone has something positive to say about their use of i-drive I'd love to hear it. (I'm currently driving a rather low-tech Land Rover.) I'm not scared of technology at all, it's just that I have a toddler who can be distracting enough on her own!

Thanks for the input.
  • dave203dave203 Member Posts: 13
    If you are looking to buy a 7 series, look at '99 and above 7-series with the Sport Package. I bought a '99 740i Sport. Buying a '96 is somewhat risky because they tend to have problems with the catalytic converters, radiator, instrument cluster etc...many of these bugs were worked out in '99 when the 740 achieved LEV status. The 740i Sport does 0-60mph in 6.1 sec per Road N Track, top speed limited to 155. Handling is totally flat, tight and stiff suspension. I have 80K miles and is still just as tight as new, rock solid, no glitches at all. These cars do not age like typical cars since they get a cataphoteric paint job with all kinds of corrosion protection and and ultra tight, stiff body.
  • sanj1sanj1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought new 745i about 3 months ago. The cars been back to the dealer 3 times. First time to get a software upgrade as the navigation system was in German. The dealer had the car for a weeks and in the end the problem was not solved. Then I began to have p[roblems with the i-Drive. In very hot weather the i-Drive shuts down........all you see is "BMW" on teh screen. In addition, the i-Drive won't work at time when you are in the phone or audio. I have to switch to another function before it'll work again. So, dealer kept the car again for over a week and I was told everything was fixed. Well, 3 days after I got it back the car was parked in the garage at work. You'll laugh at this one. The car sent a message to BMW response team and the message code was "the car has been in an accident and the airbags have been deployed". They got eight of these messages. They called my wife and created a panic. They also called the police with the street address of the parking garage. Obviously, there was no accident and when my wife called me I went out and checked the car. Tried to start the car.....it ran without a problem but guess what ..... the I didn't work. Two days later the car is in my garage at home and the Cops come knocking at my door at 1:00am asking if I own a BMW. Again, the BMW response got a message that the airbags had been deployed and the cops were called to respond to an accident and the address my street. Car was in my garage and when I got in it BMW response team responded using my phone asking " is anyone there....are you alright". Well, the car went back to the dealer the next day and its been almost 2 weeks and still haven't gotten it back. Worse of all it is clear that they are not telling me everything. They seem to be covering up. I think the safety issues they have built are a great idea if they work appropriately. If I was in a real accident and was hurt I would want the BMW response team to call the cops and emergency services. But right now my experience is becoming a nightmare.

I would like to say that the car drive great. I gave my my Porsche Boxter for the new 745i and I have to say love the way this luxury sedan handles. Also, its a beautiful car.
  • drlickermandrlickerman Member Posts: 2
    Have 745LI and love it, but agree with #657 that its difficult to see i drive screen and the same for the odometer &fuel reading etc. This comment is applicable to daytime hours.
  • trmgatrmga Member Posts: 50
    Thanks to all for the very enlightening comments that I've read over the past weeks. Was uncertain as to whether to get the 745 or Lexus LS 430. 430 seems like a no brainer after reading about all the 745 problems. Time to buy.
  • lizziebmw745lilizziebmw745li Member Posts: 1
    This is my 3rd 7 series,Love the look, idrive, voice activation. Having one problem and it is not with the electronics the car has a slight shimmy/vibration in the steering which drives me crazy. It has been in for service 5 times in 2 months, they have balanced, aligned, put new front tires, changed from my 19" to 18" tires and still the same problem. I don't know what they will do next but I understand that I am not the only one with this problem. If someone has a suggestion let me know.
  • kthor6kthor6 Member Posts: 3
    What about warped brake rotors? This can create vibrations in the steering column. Even a millimeter of varation can create problems such as this.

(FYI: I'm not really a "car" person, just an attorney who happens to represent people in a warped rotor case against GM.)

I'm still thinking about getting the 2003 model. I'm glad you like yours.

Good Luck. Kelly
    it sounds like they are prolonging the inevitable and need to replace the brake rotors. They might be warped.

• jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Both cars offer plenty of interior room and a rich leather interior. No V8 available in the Avalon but performance is good. Of course when it comes to low maitience and reliability BMW cannot compete here. However think of the all the fun you will have at the golf course instead of sitting at the BMW dealer hoping they kiss your [non-permissible content removed] and making you feel special.

Your wife will miss the image & status with the Toyota but her friends and neighbors will get over it. Invest the 50k you will save and use it towards a preferred nursing home when you get old.

Ok, I'm being a little extreme. If it make you feel better get the LS430 and invest only 20k towards the nursing home.
  • trmgatrmga Member Posts: 50
    jimxo--LS 430 is a done deal. Friends and neighbors being reasonably tolerant,whole deal has done absolutely zilch, nadda, zippo for my handicap, and being a former Naval Aviator, none of the nursing homes will talk to me. Being a very austute investor, will probably put the $20k in Worldcom. Best to all with the new 7 series. :=)
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Nice move on the LS430 that thing should purr like a [non-permissible content removed] cat for years.

As for the rest of you say hi to the parts guys for me.
    Great engineering and reliability, but BORING! And I wish Lexus would be a little more creative with their LS series, instead of copying Mercedes Benz styling year after year. Don't get me wrong--LS is a great car in its own right, but 7-series is a driver's car. And for the money, I think the Infinity Q45 is the best deal. Toyota Avalon? Please--not even in the same universe as the three other cars.
    Does anyone have any personal experience with Dinan mods on a 740i sport. Visited the Co. recently, and they do really great things to the other model. Not sure if the 740 sport would benifit much from the software downloads, but wondering about the other mods. Supercharger takes it to 400 HP, but for $16,000, why bother. Comments welcome.
  • jtt30jtt30 Member Posts: 2
    I recently discovered the Edmunds’ Town Hall discussion site. During the last two weeks I’ve read through virtually every post from the last fifteen months or so, and have found the discussion group very informative. I have especially enjoyed the spirited dialogue regarding the 745i.

I’ve been a diehard BMW fan for many years. My first car was a ’74 Bavaria. My second car was a ’75 3.0csi, which I am glad to report is resting comfortably in my garage as I scribe this email. Now I am in the market for a 2001 740il sport package – my 200,000 mile Camry just no longer does it for me, especially since I have two small children and am beginning to drive them around much more than in the past.

With the safety marketing "message" Volvo has cornered so well, I figured I would go the conservative route (since I’m a frugal guy) and buy a Volvo. What boring cars – all of them. I’m sorry, but basically the only four-door sedan that excites me is the 740il w/sport package. I love the idea of the 740i "short" sport, but one of the main reasons I will buy a replacement for my Camry is to haul my kids around, so I feel the need for the additional 5.5 inches. Plus – given what I will have to spend on one of these cars, I would not be at all surprised if I keep it for ten years or more, so my children will be able to grow into the rear seat area.

So, that brings us to the purpose of my email. What is a good and fair price for a late "build" 2001 740il w/sport package/winter package with fewer than 15k miles? Based upon the numerous price info posting during the last year or so, it appears that the showroom floor price for the car I want was probably about $65k give or take $1k. If, on a lease basis, BMW drops the cars residual value during a 36-month lease to approximately 50% of the invoice amount, I calculate a monthly depreciation amount for the car of approximately $900/month. Therefore, a car driven moderately for twelve months should have a value of approximately $54,000 ($65K less 12 months of depreciation). However, most of the cars I’ve seen advertised – even with mileage approaching 20K or more, have asking prices starting at $57,000. In addition, the Town Hall postings describing the Year end 2001 sale of the il sport package cars at less than $60,000 brand new seems to throw a further wrench in my evaluation of the same year car, now used at the same price as a new one at the end of last year. Furthermore, the E39 is now discontinued – shouldn’t that further depress the price on these cars? Am I missing something here? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, I want to weigh in on the 745i. In some respects I am quite drawn to the car. However, the design of the rear-end just doesn’t work for me – so much so that I would not purchase the car. By the same token, I completely support controversy, descent and provocative ideas. Therefore, I give BMW a hardy bravo for pushing the envelope.

It is unfortunate I do not care for the design of the 745i, since it is described as a truly phenomenal automobile. BMW has, and continues to, produce wonderful cars. I have recently been reminded of their design instincts as I now routinely drive my ’75 3.0 coupe around town after five years of having the car in storage. Virtually every time I take the coupe out it draws positive attention. Ultimately, BMW is in the business of selling cars, not simply pushing innovative ideas, though, and if the new 745i is turning off potential buyers in large numbers, I would expect the 745i will be redesigned in the not too distant future.

Thanks for reading.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    welcome to the message boards!
    Keep in mind the sport package on a 740iL is strictly cosmetic, while on the 740i you get the mods that make the car a rocket. As far as back seats go, I don't think you'll need the extra 5.5". The rear seats in a 740i are more than adequate, especially for kids.
    My thoughts on depreciation--I think the new E65 has had a reverse effect on values of the E38. So many people (including me) were so turned off by the E65 styling that it created a demand for late model E38s. I turned in my off-lease 740iL and opted to replace it with a 740i Sport, even though I could have afforded a 745i.
  • prodigousprodigous Member Posts: 7
    Steven -FORCE98 You mention that sports pkg for 740il is only cosmetic.what does the sports pkg do for the 740 i that it doesn't do for the 740il? thanks,Joe
    740i Sport:
    Steptronic transmission
    3.15:1 performance rear axle
    Higher stall speed torque converter
    Lowered about 1"
    Firmer shocks
    Thicker roll bars
    M-Parallel wheels with tires front 235/50ZR-18, rear 255/45ZR-18
    Shadow line exterior trim
    18-way Contour sport seats
    Vavona redwood interior trim

740iL Sport:
    M-Parallel wheels with tires front 235/50ZR-18, rear 255/45ZR-18
    Shadow line exterior trim
    18-way Contour sport seats
    Vavona redwood interior trim
  • sysadbsysadb Member Posts: 83
    Autobuffalo, I just bought 4 more years of coverage for mine. Warranty Gold has a better price if you buy it while the car is still in the manufacturer's warranty, so I bought WG's Diamond plan for about $1,600 right before BMW's expired. If you get theirs make sure it's the Diamond plan, as it covers electrical components that can bite you. I usually wouldn't recommend these plans, but I rationalized buying it as a $400/year insurance policy.

Force98 - I believe one of the big differences between the 740i and the Sport model is the top-end speed limitation on the non-sport model due to the chip. My 98 740i has H-rated tires thanks to the 129mph limiter.

DB
  • carguy147carguy147 Member Posts: 2
    What does everyone think of the 7 series styling? I think from the back window forward, it's gorgeous. But the trunk leaves me cold. Still, the criticism is overblown. Thoughts?

-- Car Guy147
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi there,
    Hope someone out there responds to my journalist friend on the following mission:

Anyone out there shopping for a BMW? I'm a journalist with a national
    publication looking for people who have owned or are seeking to buy a
    BMW. I'm also looking for long-time BMW owners with thoughts about the
    styling of the new 7-series. If you don't mind being quoted, please send
    an email with your telephone number to carguy147@hotmail.com and I will
    call and interview you. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks from both of us,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• prodigousprodigous Member Posts: 7
    wow! thanks for your comprehensive layout of the difference between 740i and il.called 3 dealers and noone even mechanics could tell me ALL the differences but you did.I'm impressed. Now could you tell me how you would go about buying a 2000 740? would you use Ebay?thanks
  • fasrfasr Member Posts: 6
    i have reached the point of capitulation with my 1997 jeep grand cherokee limited (with 78,000 miles). it is totally unreliable and has too many problems to warrant keeping it. i have been looking at an older 740iL (or 540) as a replacement. the most important features i'm looking for are reliability, longevity, and quickness. i have found a 1997 740iL with 105,000 miles for $18,000. what do you think? i would really appreciate any advice i can get. thanks.
    I believe the best way is to get a CPO car. Go here: http://www.bmwusa.com/, click on Certified Pre-Owned, and Vehicle Search. This allows you to see what the dealers around you have in stock. I personally would buy only a CPO car as they are very expensive to fix when out of warranty, and they are not as reliable as a Lexus, but much better than domestics.
  • shg818shg818 Member Posts: 2
    Around the end of the year my lease will be up on my "98 740i, and I'm very interested in the 745. I also normally like to buy "certified pre-owneds, saving luxury tax and beaucoup bucks. Indeed, there are a couple of them out there. However, a good friend who bought one of the first 745's said I should get a new one because hopefully the "bugs will have been worked out". I.e., he said that he and others have had numerous small technical problems ( warning lamps, messages, etc.), which are a pain to deal with. No major problems, and he loves the car. Anyone have advice or thoughts on this? Do you think a one year old 745 will probably have had the little problems corrected, or is that probably why the guy got rid of it? Thanks.
  • blumrlnblumrln Member Posts: 11
    $300.00 to install a cup holder!!

That's the price i was given at my BMW dealer yesterday, Anyone know where I can get one cheaper??
  • armaniguyarmaniguy Member Posts: 1
    My '97 740il CPO lease is coming to an end this month 9/02, should I buy it or give it up? Had the car for the last 3 years and loved it. But the car's fuel guage doesn't work accurately, due to dents on the under side of the fuel tanks (I've been told by the dealer). I don't recall hitting anything on the road but bottom line is that the fuel gauage doesn't work properly and the dealers only recommendation is to replace both fuel tanks (costing over $3000+), even though they are not sure if that is what is causing the problem. Other than that the car is fine.
    Taking this mechanical problem into account should I keep the car or return it at lease end and perhaps get another CPO car, which will cost me more per month. I'm trying to avoid another big car payment for a while. Any recommendations?
  • ndboomerndboomer Member Posts: 20
    I have the opportunity to purchase a '99 740i with 49k miles for $29,000.00. The numbers look good to me but two questions:

1) How much will I get killed on maitnenance?
    2) Is an extended warranty available and/or advisable?
    3) What will the useful life be?

I have never owned a luxury car before (I have always been a camry guy, but I have always loved the big beemer and the price seems right. I just don't want to spend the rest of my life getting a car fixed. Please advise as to personal experience.
  • ghloebghloeb Member Posts: 5
    I'm at end of lease on my 98 740i, which has been fabulous. Am debating getting a new 745 vs. keeping the 740. The problems with the 2002 745, as evidenced on this board, have given me big pause about the new model -- I don't mind the rear deck styling or the i-drive, but the mechanical and in-the-shop stories are horrid. My questions:

1. What's the experience with 740s (97-99)on maintenance and hassles in the 50k-100k mile range? Mine has 47k, and I'm worried it will start showing problems now that warranty is off.

2. Any reason to think the 2003 model 745s will solve the problems with the 2002?

I've got a few suggestions, and I'm not sure if they make your dilemma any better or any worse:)

Traditionally the second year of a new model for BMW is stronger as compared to the first year. Take a look at the reliability ratings of a 1998 E39 5 series as compared to the 1997 models. I would think that the new 7 will follow suit. BMW knows there are bugs and glitches and they're the kind of company that will deal with those kinds of things (unlike GM, but that is for a different thread).

If you really like your current '98 740i, then you can keep it and not really have to worry too much about the costs of upkeep and maintenance. Since the body changed, the residual of your car has probably dropped considerably, so buy it out at a cheaper price and have your BMW dealer Certify the car with a CPO warranty. The CPO warranty from BMW will cost you a little more (but think of how much more car you're getting for your dollar because of depreciation), but every time you visit the BMW dealer it will only cost you $50. There's a poster named reiz over on the 5 series board who has extensive knowledge of the BMW Certification process. Maybe you should post your question over there for REIZ.

Hope I helped a little bit:)

• czmaczma Member Posts: 3
    Hi All:
    I just came back from vacation and found out my battery is dead... So that I have to buy a new one and replace it. I called the dealer, and they told me that it will cost $203 just for the battery, and $270 including part and labor.

According to the spec, I need to have a battery with 950CCA. And I couldn't find any of them at our local auto shops. But I found 1 with 925CCA and 1100CA. Will a 925CCA good enought to power up a 740? Is any other place that I can find a battery for 740? Does any shop have special order?

Dealer told me that if the car lost battery, once the new one is installed. Radio is NOT going to work, and I have to spend $30 to get the secure code. Is this true?

Please help, since I really don't want to spend $220 for a battery..

Regards,
    Chang
    My 740I is about to go out of warranty and I was wondering who has the best aftermarket warranty. Car was not bought from a dealer, so it is not eligible for a CPO extension. The dealer said they could give me a good policy from Fireman's ins. for $4200, for 50k miles or 4 years. $1000 per year is a rip unless you drop a trans or do something really major to the engine. Any recommendations?

Also, is service #2 a in warranty or post warranty service?
  • anthonycecilanthonycecil Member Posts: 68
    My limited knowledge of cold cranking comes from the farm. When I replaced the tractor batteries, they would be in relay. Some of the batteries were huge, probably a hundred pounds or more. One day I asked the mechanic who would srvice the tractors to describe cold cranking. He said that when the temp. was at a certain degeee, say freezing, the battery would provide a certain amount of time cranking a starter that drew so many amps. These engines were large and the starter were also large. The mechanic showed me how a battery with a capacity of 1000 could all by itself start the engine. I purchased one battery to take the place of two, and it was satisfactory for a while. I do not think the one was as capable as two in tandum. I think a good battery of 900, or even less cold cranking would be fine for a car. I also think every four years no matter what it would be smart to get a new battery even if you don`t think you need one. Also you may leave a switch on or something and it would drain any battery in just a few hours(like overnite) so just be prepared. I hope this helps. Tony
  • gearmangearman Member Posts: 30
    NYCCARGUY's suggestions were right on target. All car companies have challenges producing trouble free new designs, particularly one incorporating as many complex technologies as the new 7 series. BMW's track record is not the best in this area. Once the wrinkles are ironed out, then it's a different story.

In contrast to NYCCARGUY's observations on BMW factory support for troublesome new designs, one of my colleague's litany of problems with a 750iL literally produced a textbook of poor customer relationship management correspondence. Needless to say, that fellow is delighted with his non-BMW replacement. Although all of the firms have their challenges and missteps with new product introductions; BMW is not at the top of the satisfaction index in this area. Toyota does a better job with their Lexus branded products, but would you want to actually want to have one? Ugghh...

Back to the topic, the previous 7 series is a pending minor classic; like nyccarguy's suggestion, I'd vote for you to enjoy it for a couple more years until the dust and bugs settle away from the new 7 series. Then do a comparison with the competitors at that time.