Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    will buy you a "Fram Sure Drain" system (Part SD4 for Cavalier) which it seems will allow you to drain your engine oil directly into a disposable container, thus eliminating a catch pan and the subsequent transfer of oil from pan to container.

See:

http://www.fram.com/home/index.html

I do wonder if drainage through the small valve orifice would be less thorough than drainage through the normal drain opening? Any comments would be appreciated. Has anyone tried this device?

• Options
    hoyahenryhoyahenry Member Posts: 399
    ...Chevy dealers don't know the meaning of the word "service"...

Have not seen it better said anywhere else. I am one Chevy owner (97 LS Cav will be the last one) that was glad when the warranty expired.
  • Options
    taskmastertaskmaster Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone one here know of a source (web site or manual) of possible engine control settings that a 2002 Chevy Cavalier can be set to?

Specifically if the power steering can be made to drive with a lighter feel or if the engine idle speed, when hot, can be increased?

My new Cavalier has an idle of about 500 RPM and the steering feels VERY stiff taking off from a stop. When the engine is cold and the idle is at about 1000 RPM, the steerinig feels lighter and I would like it that way all of the time. The idle speed adjustment screw is off limits to me with a 5-sided torx screw (not the usual 6-sided version).

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    Does anyone know where to get the wrench to remove the oil filter cap? Or do you know the socket size to get it off?
  • Options
    joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    They are computer controlled,and the way i understand it changes are made by doing a software change then a reflash.
    I own a 00 Cav and it idles 600 rpm,my steering is stiff but i like it that way.
  • Options
    For whar it's worth, I use an adjustable.
  • Options
    tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Any word on the new Cavalier for 2005??
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I have seen nothing on this. The 03 will get a face lift and the Ecotec standard from what I hear.
  • Options
    isseyvooisseyvoo Member Posts: 121
    Just out of curiosity, what has been your collective experience as to longevitity in terms of years and miles for those of you with older Cavaliers? And what has been the eventual cause of their demise? Engine? Body? Suspension? As an aside, I have a '92 2.2l 5 sp. with 95K. The rust is just starting to set in on my lower driver's door. Paint is wasted. But otherwise it's still in good shape.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I had a 1996 Cavalier that I bought used back in July of 1999. It had 31,051 miles on it, and 40,316 miles on it when I traded it about 3 months later, on 10/16/99. In that time, it was in the shop about 8 times. I had the engine and airbag computers reprogrammed, an oxygen sensor replaced, the front and rear brakes serviced several times, and I had a very nagging squeak right where the dash met the windshield. The car also stalled sometimes, but no one ever found out what the problem was with it. I liked the car alot, but it just seemed to be falling apart at only 40K miles.
  • Options
    I put 120K mi on including 2 trips cross country.Never let me down.Major items-EGR valve,head gasket and battery.The total cost of the 3 items was $95,i do my own work.Of course i now have a 00 Cav.
  • Options
    I had a 91 Cavalier RS (3.1L) from December 1990 to spring of 1998. Car was almost flawless mechanically but rust on the doors, expired shocks/struts and rusting exhaust made me decide to sell it. It had about 145K on it.
  • Options
    92 Cavalier went 125K. Major repairs: clutch, power steering, alternator, shocks, and other normal wear items. Saw the view from the top of Mt Washington in it, among many other destinations. This year, circumstances made it the 4th car for two drivers. The Salvation Army picked it up, even though it still ran extremely well and sipped fuel in the 30mpg in mixed driving.

The 97 is running very well; the 4 speed auto is good, but kills the mpg. Poor customer service (various dealerships) will make it the last Chevy we own. These vehicles tend to require some attention under warranty to work out the wrinkles, and the service department experience is lacking, imo.
  • Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    that fit most Cavaliers (#3916) are being sold now at some K-Marts for $3 each!
  • Options
    natasha2002natasha2002 Member Posts: 2
    I am a student and want to lease Chevy Cavalier Coup for 2 years with 0 downpayment. I don't know much about 1) the best price on Cavalier these days after $3000 cash back (if applicable to lease option);2)what is the residual value of the vehicle after two year lease; 3) what is appr. monthly lease payment;4)What is the lowest lease interest rate. Also, I would like to know about range of monthly collision insurance rate on Cavalier.
    Please save my student funds in bargaining with dealers.:)

Thanks in advance. Natasha
  • Options
    aajoslinaajoslin Member Posts: 15
    What kind of tuning has been done to your ~97 cav.? Looking for simple, inexpensive performance tweaks (air intake rerouting, air filter, etc.) Your thoughts?
  • Options
    There are alot of mods you can do to the Cavalier, because its engine has been around since the 80s. Check with your local auto parts store. Also be careful what you change, as not to void your warranty (if you still have one).
  • Options
    rae52rae52 Member Posts: 102
    If anyone cares to read my post, I bought a 2002 LS coupe w/ auto, sunroof, 6 speaker amplified sound and rear spoiler. I have driven it app. 1500 miles (took delivery April 28, 2002. So far, not ONE problem!; AND my dealer gives me 6 free oil&filter changes!

My car cost-get this $12,990 out-the-door(with theGM rebate, my GM card rebate and dealer discount).
  • Options
    alantpoolalantpool Member Posts: 12
    My wife drives a 2000 (original owner) Cav base sedan. I was wondering if anyone else has had an experience with the car stalling when traveling at low speed (i. e. backing out of a parking space). This recently happened and a co-worker said that his old Pontiac had to have the fuel injector cleaned every 30,000 miles or so. I am a Ford man and I haven't had to deal with the GM problems, I have had enough of my own to deal with.

Also, she has the same nagging sound coming from the dash area on her car that I saw mentioned in a prior post, any fixes, the dealer didn't hear it when they drove it (it is a squeaky noise).

Thanks in advance
    al
  • Options
    There was an issue with the fuel pump screen being too fine and plugging.When they did my wifes fuel sender recall they replaced it.Call your dealer and ask them about TSB # 00-06-04-044 fuel module screen replace due to stalling.
  • Options
    fooshefooshe Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Cavalier is great fun to drive. I just got it on December 31, 2001. However, my air conditioner kind of growls when it's on, especially when running through the 1st through 3rd gears. It makes me crazy! It cools great, just sounds really bad. It almost sounds like something is rattling around in there.

As well, the engine is pretty loud inside the cabin. Are these typical of Cavaliers? Anything to worry about? It only has 8,000 miles on it and I'm starting to worry a little bit.

Any comments?

Thanks,
  • Options
    Our 99 Cavalier had a loud A/C, it's probably normal. The insulation between the engine and the cabin in those cars isn't great. A/C units are always noisy, but to differing degrees. If you are really worried, have the car looked at. It's under warrantee.
  • Options
    Yes another TSB# 02-06-01-001A belt replace,call your dealer.
  • Options
    300silverbulit300silverbulit Member Posts: 60
    I just got a 99' Cavalier. It has 36,000 miles on it. I was just wondering if it is supposed to be so noisy when braking/slowing down for a traffic light ect. I have never been in a Cavalier before so I don't know what the norm is. It seems to be just a loud engine or loud tranny & drive system. It isn't as bad when cruising or when accelerating. I have the base engine.
    I got it for $6995.00 plus $950 for a 3 year/36,000 mile powertrain warranty from Chrysler which is good at any Chrysler dealer. It seems like a good deal.

As for the car, I like it coming from a saturn SL2. The A/C works very well, the seats are good. Cd stereo is great. I like the speed sensitive volume. It has a power sunroof. A first for me and I always wanted one. The steering is as good as my saturn and the ABS brakes are strong. Engine power is fine for commuting 50 miles round trip each day.

It has power locks but not windows which I thought was odd though.
  • Options
    If it makes noise braking its probaly the brakes,front pads could be worn to the metal.
  • Options
    I have a '92 that has basically served me well since new. It now has 93K miles on the clock. Last week I began hearing a loud "rattle" from down low in the left front - very intermittent - usually over bumps or sometimes changing to a hard metallic "snap" sound after making a right turn and releasing. I don't notice any change in driving dynamics. I took it to the shop and they said it was pads and rotors that needed replacing ($725!!!) but that the suspension was fine. (I replaced all 4 struts about 10K ago). Well guess what. The brakes are now tighter and I'm $725 poorer, but the rattle and snap remain. Guesses anyone?
  • Options
    would be sway bar bushings?
  • Options
    in my Cavalier now. I am sure the noises are normal now. It isn't brake squeal. I have a base model with the 2.2 engine and 3 speed auto. At idle it is very quiet but when slowing down I hear the transmission gears whine and the engine noise when coasting/braking to a stop. I guess this is what Edmunds and other auto critics complain about with the J body GM cars. I know I'm not in a Caddy so I don't mind.

I like the fairly high seating position. The "heavy" substantial feel of a compact class car is a pleasent surprise. I like the 3 speed auto because there is less gear hunting and kickdown than a four speed. I drive in heavy traffic. The CD stereo has alot of features. The steering wheel has alot of fingergrips althogh it doesn't tilt. The seats are excellent. Sopportive and wide.

I have a 99' mediem blue metallic coupe. The ride is very smooth. It feels more like a mid size car. I have 15" touring tires. The powertrain may not be as refined as some japanese brand name cars but overall I am impressed with my first Cavalier. It's a better car than I thought after all the crapalier comments ect.
    I have read.
    It's also afforadable to insure and New Jersey has the highest rates in the nation and we are on the cusp of a auto insurance crisis with major insurance companies giving up on doing buisness in this state. It's better than insuring a Honda Civic coupe that is on the top ten stolen car list anyway!

So far I'm happy with my first Chevy.
  • Options
    caesarslegioncaesarslegion Member Posts: 109
    Has any one seen the new body style for the cavalier?
    When I first saw it I though it was very different and maybe almost ugly but the more you see it the more you like it. I might have to make room in my garage for one, especially the turbo model thats coming out.
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    turbo? when is that available?

what HP we talking about?
  • Options
    auto in a 2.2 Cavalier I found to be a dog,drove one 100K.Now have a 4 sp 2.2 and what a difference,like they say its not engine its the gearing.
  • Options
    They don't make 3-speeds anymore do they? We had a 4-spd in out 99.
  • Options
    I think the 3-speed is a dog too. A friend of mine has a 1996 Cavalier with about 130K on it now. At about 100,500 miles, the car dropped the entire tranny out the bottom! It cost like $1300 for a new one for him. I was shocked, I thought it would have been cheaper, considering it's only a 3-speed anyway.
  • Options
    caesarslegioncaesarslegion Member Posts: 109
    Thats what is said. I hope GM keeps its promise. I heard between 2003 to 2005. GM needs something to battle the dodge neon project coming out. If they make it people will buy it, at least I will.
  • Options
    Three is perfectly reliable usually, but it's not great for acceleration or highway mileage.
  • Options
    Joe 3891 -- who correctly guessed that the metallic rattle/snap combination in the front driver side wheel well area was a problem with the sway bar connections. Broken on one side, corroded on the other. Both now replaced for $120 and she's running right again... Thanks Joe.
  • Options
    Very nice looking car, except for those hideous chrome wheels.
  • Options
    I agree. Apparently a lot of improvements including a standard 140 hp Ecotec in all models. I'm sure you will see higher prices also.
  • Options
    Thanks for taking the trouble to report back.
  • Options
    I believe 99 was the last year you could still get a 3 sp.
  • Options
    the bottom? Explain please.
  • Options
    I think a fourth overdrive gear that could be locked out would be ideal. However I just came from a saturn SL four speed auto that would always kickdown a gear, rev up, shift harshly back into fourth just for highway passing. My Cavalier just has enough power while still in third to get moving on the highway. If I really press into it. It will kickdown also. Under normal shifting it is really smooth like most GM trannys.

I wasn't expecting it to be a sport compact car since I diddn't find one with the 2.4 engine so I'm not disappointed. It's just for commuting anyway.

I wanted a new LS sedan with the sport package but for $6,995 for a very clean 99' coupe with just36,000 miles. It was alot more affordable than a new Cavalier even with the $3000 cash back from GM.
  • Options
    My friend said a couple rather large metal parts fell out of the bottom of the car, and transmission fluid was all over the street under the car as well. I wasn't there, but that's what he told me.

They had to put in a rebuilt transmission too. It runs fine for now I guess, I have not talked to him for about 6 months now.
  • Options
    On the Cavalier 4-speed, you have to put the shifter into "3" to lock out fourth gear, there is no switch or anything to do it with.
  • Options
    but I guess because I have a base model it has the three speed box. Just D,2,and1. According to my owners manual the four speed has D,3,2,and1.
    The manual says to use 2 for better performance but not exceed a certain mph. And not to go for to long without having it in drive or the tranny could overheat. Mine is a 99'. I don't know if they still use the 3 speed at all.

I am just really pleased with the car so far.
  • Options
    rat284rat284 Member Posts: 20
    If they're coming out with a new Cavalier soon, why'd they have to go through the trouble of beating the 2003 with the ugly stick? Besides the fact that everything looks like it was tacked onto the old model in a way that doesn't fit, the stuff they're tacking on is hideous. That new front end is just so horrible. I don't see how anyone could possibly find it appealing in any way. And I thought tacking on a full-width non-functional strip of "lights" to the back of a car was a styling trend of the past. Oh well.
  • Options
    It's not that different??

2003 has been updated mostly from a mechanical stand point with the new 2.2 Ecotec. The update was needed as a new Cavalier is probably 2 years away and a refresh always helps sales a little.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    ... received a recall notice in the mail yesterday. Of course, the notice only said something about an "important piece of equipment" for the car and did not identify it.

Now, of course we aren't taking the car in because we don't own it anymore -- but my curiosity's up. What's wrong with the Cavalier now?

Meade
  • Options
    The ignition was recalled in them. That was the last one I heard. Something that the ignition could catch on fire whether the car is running or not. And since they sent you the letter, all you would have to do is call Chevrolet (since they think you still own the car anyway) and ask them what's wrong with it.