Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Meade
  • pauljon1957pauljon1957 Member Posts: 16
    Have the head gasket problems decreased in the 2000 and newer engines? If so, what was GM's fix to the problem? If not, when can I expect my non-ecotec head gasket to fail?? Thanks.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The 96s weren't known for it until 99, so you would have to wait. I don't know if it would be affected or not, but I wouldn't think so. You never know though.
  • caesarslegioncaesarslegion Member Posts: 109
    Maybe some of the failures and problems could be caused by lack of maintaining? Oil changes will go a long way in keeping the motor healthy. I have heard that the 2.2 motor is a push rod engine which means that its more mechanical and less likely to fail.
  • pauljon1957pauljon1957 Member Posts: 16
    I could write a book on head gasket troubles. (two Ford Windstars) The story I, got from the Ford Dealer was that "we've had bad luck changing head gaskets on these, so we recommend a rebuilt engine". I got the impression that was hard to machine the heads back to a true condition again. Is this the case with the cavaliers or is it just poor workmanship? What's the failure mode on the 2.2L, leaking coolant or actually leaking coolant into the cylinders and overheating ??
  • rae52rae52 Member Posts: 102
    i've found a slight interior build quality issue in my '02 Cavalier LS coupe. Out of curiosity, I checked the space where the dashboard meets the doors and the drivers side gap is greater than the right side. I'm debatng whether it's worth the time and effort to bring it to the attention of the dealer. Will they cause more damage?
  • hoyahenryhoyahenry Member Posts: 399
    Yes.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    IMO most dealers would prescribe a "wall job" for the problem: park the car next to the wall til you pick it up and then tell you the car's OK. Actually, what you describe sounds like "normal variation."
  • moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    Answer to both questions is YES.

Wait until you have a problem that they can fix and mention the gap in passing.

If they did offer to really do something about it they would probably lossen your whole dash and slide it over to split the difference. Then you will have squeek city until the day you drive it off a cliff.

I hate to sound like a gm dude but it might be normal. Next time your waiting for some other work to be done, pop into the showroom and check ouut the floor. Some will have a wider gap on the passenger side. Assembly time on these gm cars are probably about 25 minutes. 200 differnt guys tightening one of 200 hundred different screws. he. he.

Oh . How big is the gap difference anyway?
  • rae52rae52 Member Posts: 102
    Moonshadow, the gap on the left side is app. 1/2". The right side is less. When I leave both doors open (I have a 2-door coupe) I checked the dash and everything appears to be equal on both sides-it's only when both doors are closed that the gap is noticeable, again only if youare looking for it. I checked the exterior (with the doors closed) and the doors fit perfect! What to do...
  • laydehalllaydehall Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experienced occassional coolant lights but no visible signs of a leak? Also, now the Engine light started to appear (2x so far) and disappear. We get the oil changed every 3K miles. We've had to refill to coolant level a couple of times over the last 6 months. We know it has to be leaking somewhere. We're taking it in to get checked out at Pep Boys. We just wanted to know if anyone out there has had more experience with this issue.
  • spongenickspongenick Member Posts: 9
    I HAVE A '96 2.2 CAV W/ 200,100 MILES. (NOW I CAN DUMP IT!) CAVALIERS WITH COOLANT/HEAD GASKET LEAKS GO TOGETHER LIKE PB &J. MY CAR LEAKS AND WHEN THE RESERVOIR LEVEL GETS LOW THE LIGHT COMES ON. RE: THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT .. WHO KNOWS. IT COULD MEAN YOU LEFT YOUR GAS CAP OFF OR IT COULD BE SOME OTHER EMISSION RELATED PROBLEM.
    MY MOMS' '91 BUICK HAD A CHECK/ENG LIGHT ISSUE FOR YEARS AND WAS JUST A WIRING PROBLEM. BEST THING TO DO IS 1) HOOK THE COMPUTER UP AND GET IT DIAGNOSED 2) PERFORM A PRESSURE CHECK ON THE COOLANT SYSTEM .. THE '95-96(?) MODELS HAD A SECRET WARRANTY UP TO 7/100K MILES ON THE HEAD GASKET..... DON'T WORRY, YOU'LL GET 200K MILES TOO!
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    I would say water pump leaking,about $800 at the dealer and cheaper at an independent.
  • laydehalllaydehall Member Posts: 2
    Thank you spongenick & joe3891. If it were the water pump, then why are we not seeing a leak? There's nothing on the ground under the car. We are taking it in to the dealer for spongenick's suggestion after New Year's. Happy holidays all and thanks for the info.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    I have a minor compression dent in my front door (maybe 1/8" deep, 3-4" in diameter). Can anyone tell me from experience if a "suction cup dent puller" such as shown on the following web pages is likely to work on my dent?

shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/usc77240.html

cvfsupplycompany.com/succupdenpul.html

Thanks for any advice.
  • indeptindept Member Posts: 12
    My daughter has a '97 cav, 2.2L. the check engine light has come on a few times then went out.yesterday it came on along with the ETS light & stayed on for about 1/2 hour. She said it came on right after she got gas. I checked to make sure the gas cap was on correctly(the cap is new) & it was. looked for obvious problems, found none. The '97's have the OBDII system which requires the code reader to get the codes. Does anyone have any info on which are good models & how much (hopefully cheap). The Chiltons says you can use "an inexpensive model like the AUTO-XRAY". Looked it up on the net, inexpensive to them evidentally is $200.00. I've heard there are some in the $50 range that work just fine. Any help would be appreciated
    It may & it might not. My recomendation is to remove the inside door panel & push it out. I've used a piece of wood & tapped on that with a hammer lightly to pop out dents. Use a piece that is slightly larger than your dent & sand / shape it to the curve of the door to prevent popping the dent out past the original point. Either way you do it, don't be surprised if the paint chips, after all you're flexing the metal. Good luck
    The 96+ models have the OBDII system in them. Take in practice to click the gas cap at least 3 times when replacing, and you won't have to worry about it. I did hear something about the ETS and engine lights coming on at the same time in the Cavalier, and it had nothing to do with the gas. Computer glitch I think...

Here you go: ---> Traction control indicator light: The ETC warning light may glow and the cruise control stops working, but there is no problem with the systems. No current fix. (1996)

That's for a 96 though, so I don't get it...
    Thanks for the response vocus. Do you, or anyone else, have any experience with the OBDII diagnostic sensors. As I stated in my first message, they can tend to be pricey. I have heard of cheaper units, $30 - $50 range that will read the codes. Are these any good. I have also seen a few on the internet that will read all makes ( GM, FORD, CHRYSLER, & foreign) for around $140.00 + up. Since I own a 2001 Dodge Caravan, it may be worth the extra investment, rather than buy a cheaper "Manufacturer" specific model. Any advice on that.

Also, I found an article that said the '96 GM's check for fuel system leaks anytime the ignition is on, so if you get gas with the engine running or even just the key on it could cause the MIL lamp to light. I don't doubt it's the same on my '97 Cav, especially early built models. I hear if it's taken to the dealer with that complaint they will re-program the PCM to only monitor the fuel system with the car in motion to allieviate that problem. I'm sure it will cost to have it done out of warranty though. Thanks again for the response.
    I don't know, I own a VW and we have something called VAGCOM that's $200... :(
    $200, OUCH. and it sounds like something a gynecologist would use (ha ha). Thanks for the comeback. I have found out some interesting stuff though. I did a search on "OBDII scanner" and found out a few things about it. OBDIII sounds interesting, it's basically OBDII with BIG BROTHER added. They intend to have cars monitored as you drive down the road & use something similar to cell phone communications to tell BIG Brother your VIN & whether your car has any emission problems. Then they send you a letter telling you to fix it or be fined. They also are thinking about linking it to GPS so they can locate you & the police can disable your car if they are chasing you, which means the carjackers will be able to stop you on a backroad, rob you, beat / kill you & steal your car because you know once that system's available the black market will be selling it. Oh well,
  • broomballbroomball Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2003 Cavalier with auto trans on October 25th. So far the transmission stopped upshifting in November and the ABS quit last night. Not a bad 2 months, eh? God Bless America.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I didn't realize you could get ABS on the 03. Transmission failure for GM autos is rare.
    ABS has been standard equipment on Cavaliers since model year 1992 here in the States. It's now optional instead of standard now for 03. Is it the same way in Canada as well?

Also, side airbags are a new option for 03 too in the US.
    ABS was standard always, but I guess it's optional now. I wasn't sure if it was an option or just gone for 2003.
    Option. I personally don't think it makes sense, since the ~14 year old design of the Cavalier doesn't really have a heck of alot going for it, and the standard ABS at its price was one of them.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    option is Lutz's doing,he wants to charge more and give less.
  • kat37kat37 Member Posts: 1
    hi, I just want to know what do you think about the cavalier...
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Ditto that; Honda and Toyota quality has declined based on surveys and Chevy has improved. GM has the best powertrains IMO.

Notice all the Asian only repair shops lately??
    When America makes a car that's not in the shop for something every time I turn around and not falling apart at 40K like my Cavalier did, then I will be glad to own one.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    "it's way past time that so called americans, stand up for AMERICA..that means buy AMERICAN.."

So you're saying to buy American even if their quality is sub-par? The Cavalier/Sunfire combo is unrefined when compared to its Japanese competitors. The only reason they are selling it's b/c of 0%/48 mths financing combined with $1000+ rebates (the current GM promo here in Toronto).

Civic: Smooth 5spd tranny

Protege: Superior handling, interior fit and finish and like mdaffron said, very reliable. My 01 Protege has 51.000kms and still provides great driving fun without rattles and non-maintenance visits to Mazda.

2003 Corolla: Nice 1.8L VVT-i!!! Avaliable power at 10 or 90 mph.

My cousin's 00 Z24 stalls randomly while pushing the clutch in and not being in gear. My dad's 01 Cavalier has been in the shop for a failed alternator twice already since April 01 and leaking coolant. Good thing it's leased!

Dinu
    People can say what they like about the Cavalier but my experience has been good. We had a 91 V6 which was flawless aside from a coolant leak I likely caused myself and some door rust issued. Our 99 Cavalier was also flawless for the 3 years we leased it. Other people we know that have had Cavaliers also seem pretty happy.

Is the Cavalier the best small car on the market? Heck no. Is it the best value, it might be. With the rebates and incentives it is a dirt cheap ride and with a 140 hp Ecotec this year, the value is tremendous.

Some people will tell you about their bad Cavalier and yes there are some bad ones just like any other car. I think the car is just fine for someone needing cheap wheels.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    PLEASE NOTE

If you are unhappy about the content of a posted message, please email the host.

You only make the situation worse by posting negative assumptions and continuing the offensiveness.

Don't ever assume that because you see an offensive message posted that the host of that board saw first and chose to leave it.

Any further comments should be directed to me via email.

Thank you.
    The deals in the US are $3000 rebates on Cavaliers currently, or 0% financing for 60 months. And with the new Ecotec standard (140hp) for 03 as well as avaiilable side airbags for the first time, it has potential as a good value. There are many cars on the market that are better, but when the only thing matters is the monthly payment/expenses, it might be one of the best.
    With 0% and crazy rebates, the Cavy is not a bad deal at all! But it's not refined or the most up-to-date technologically, which hurts its sale numbers...

For someone looking to lease a small cheap car, it's a good deal (Along with the Accent), but for those that keep their cars for 5+ yrs and want something a little better, there are better choices.

Dinu
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Thank goodness for that, I had the headgasket go on my 96 with 96,000km on it, was glad to get rid of it after that $1200 repair. Got money back when the car was long gone.
  • hoyahenryhoyahenry Member Posts: 399
    "For someone looking to lease a small cheap car, it's a good deal (Along with the Accent), but for those that keep their cars for 5+ yrs and want something a little better, there are better choices"

How do you figure the 5+ part? We've had two cavaliers for a total of 16 years and the 97 is still going strong. What would you propose as a cheaper to own, cheaper to maintain vehicle?
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    well cheap leases are cheap leases....i can lease a Lancer for 159 a month, a civic for 169 a month, a corolla or focus for 199 a month so there's really not much reason to even lease a cav then when all the superior competitors can be had as cheap. Even a Suzuki Aerio is more attractive in that way and a better car.

that said, the cav is not a total disaster....the styling is still decent, its not like its a PONTIAC! The new Ecotec engine would to me make it worth of consideration. I would still get a cav before a Kia, but not an Elantra GT. I would even get a cav before I got an Ion, at least the Cavalier isn't offensive or bizarre.

For basic transportation its passable enough that folks won't look at you wierd if you drive one and its not terrible to the point where you would consider riding a bike instead.

The coupe cavalier is still somewhat attractive in profile...the front and back are questionable.

In all honesty the Cav is a perfect teenager car.....give one to them to learn and get in accidents with because no one cares if it gets smushed, its not you're out anything. A cavalier is pretty much disposable, but that's the beauty of it. You can drive the hell out of it and as long as its cheap to run you can maybe justify it.

If you want refined or more fun you'll have to buy something else or wait for the 200x cav redo. WHENEVER that may be.
    Definitely the Integra. You will spend more initially, but some say Hondas last pretty much forever. They are the most reliable.

Accents are pretty worthy, but I know their resale value is crap and they don't have a solid standing in the US. They just started building one, but just a couple years ago.

The Cavalier is nice, but the older ones aren't as reliable as the other 2 cars you mentioned. You will pay more for the Integra, but it will more than likely be worth it in the long run.
    Well If you can afford an Integra, why are you looking at an Accent and Cavy?

One is a sporty car, the two other basic transportation with a low-low price.

Give us some details about the years of production, trim levels and what your price range is.

Dinu

PS: Asbestos, PQ? Le nom de la ville c'est Asbestos? C'est ou ca?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    English only, please folks.

And kat37, it might be a good idea if you go over to our Help Me Choose! discussion to sort out your questions about other vehicles, since this discussion is focused solely on the Cavalier.

Dinu and vocus (and others) can assist you there.

Good luck.

:-)
    About the Eng. only thing.

Dinu
  • blackz24blackz24 Member Posts: 6
    I own a '99 Z24 and swapped to the synth. 5w30 oil and have had no problems. I find it pumps better in the winter. If this is good, then is it possable to change the gear oil in the tranny to synth. as well? Any help would be most apprecated. :)
  • jdmortonjdmorton Member Posts: 24
    I've noticed there doesn't seem to be the amount of posting on this board, compared to other Chevy boards. Last week I bought another Cavalier (2003 LS 4-door). I bought a 2002 coupe for my daughter last fall, for her senior year internship. In 1984, I got a new Cavalier station wagon, kept it for 10 years, put almost 158,000 miles on it, and then traded it in for a van. I got $2,300 for the trade-in. In those 10 years, I think my maintenance and repair costs were about 6 cents a mile (I'm sure it was less than than, but I can't find my records). I'm going to see if I can get the same kind of mileage and cost out of this one.

Let the games begin...
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I'd venture to say that your chances are good. When you bought your 84, the platform was only two years old. Now its got 20+ under its belt, and I'm sure if you take good care of it, it will treat you well.
    If you dont mind, how much did you pay for your Cav? Sticker vs. your cost?

Good Luck!
    ~alpha
    Alpha 01,

I can use the GM Supplier Discount, so my costs are probably a little different than most Chevy buyers. Here's my cost breakdown for my 2003 LS, when I bought it in February:

MSRP - $17,010
    GM Supplier Cost - $16,062 (actually, $16,061.97)
    GM Rebate - $3,000
    GM Rebate due to Pittsburgh Auto Show - $500
    GM Lease Loyalty Rebate - $750
    Final "Cost" - $11,812

I know that Edmunds has the "TMV" for my Cavalier as $16,107.
    We had 2 Cavaliers, a 91 V6 and a 99. Both worked just fine and we really had no problems with either. My only complaint now is that the car is old now. For basic transportation at a reasonable price however, it's a good car still especially with the Ecotec standard now.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Wow! Thats great. Congrats- You will certainly be getting your money's worth!

~alpha
    This seems to be one of the least active individual car discussion boards here in Town Hall! Where is everybody?! The last post prior to this one is dated March 4th, and it's someone commenting on one of my posts! Surely there are some Honda and Toyota owners who aren't through "bashing" those of us who own Cavaliers, aren't there? And what about my fellow Cavalier owners? Surely you have something to say - good, bad, or indifferent - about your car.

For those of you lurking - now's the time to stop reading and start posting. What do you have to say? I see all sorts of Cavaliers on the road; I know you're out there.

O.K. let's get things rolling here - I've had my latest Cavalier slightly less than a month now, and filled up the gas tank for the second time. My MPG is over 25 on this tankful - not bad for the type of driving I normally do. The MPG should continue to improve, though. Also, it's nice to be able to go over 300 miles on a tankful and not pay the $35 (or more) it takes to fill up our van.
    Just kidding! Or maybe not.

My cousin returned his 2000 Z24 Friday as his lease ended. The car was full of rattles after 3 years and 58.000 kms.

My Protege is doing great BTW.

Dinu