Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• fasteremfasterem Member Posts: 5
    I have a 98 cavalier and the low beam and the daytime running lights do not work, but I do have high beams, can anybody help so I can get this car inspected
    Fasterem@aol.com
  • gmoudygmoudy Member Posts: 67
    There is a fuse in the fuse panel for the Daytime running lights. Check it. If it is ok, there is a relay under the front end near the bumper. This is for the daytime lights. If you bought this car used, the previous owner might have disabled the daytime running lights.
  • fasteremfasterem Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info, I couldn't find the relay, but I am more interested in finding out why the Low beams are not working, need to figure it out to get the car inspected
  • larryd2larryd2 Member Posts: 1
    JUST BOUGHT THIS CAVALIER A MONTH AGO AND HAVING PROBLEMS ALREADY, FIRST OIL CHANGE WAS TOLD BY THE TECH I WAS TWO QUARTS LOW, TWO WEEKS LATER POWER STEERING PUMP GOES OUT, AND WAS TOLD BUY THE DEALER THAT I WAS TWO QUARTS LOW ON OIL THATS TWICE NOW. AND NOW THERE DOING AN OIL CONSUPSTION TEST ON THE CAR. IT CONTINUE TO BLOWS SMOKE ONCE IN A WHILE. I THINK THE IS A LEMON. ANY BODY ELSE HAVE THE PROBLEM OUT THERE. THOUGHT I WAS BUYING A GOOD CAR.
    I know it has been a while since I answered your message. I have a question for you, does the low beam high beam switch work properly? If not, it could be broken in the high beam position.
  • mn130mn130 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Cavalier. About two weeks ago I had an issue that it wouldn't start. This is my first problem after owning it for three years besides brakes, oil changes, etc. Brought it in and they told me it wasn't the starter it was a wire that goes into the starter that they replaced. Anyway, about one week later I had an issue that sounded as though it was the transmission. I heard strange noises going from 0 - 10 mph, on one attempt it didn't want to go in reverse. One the way home when approaching stop signs/lights it sounded as though it wanted to die. After getting it home the car did in fact go in reverse after a couple of clunks. Brought it into the transmission shop and of course they tell me that it needs an overhaul. Decided at that point not to do it (the car has almost 110,000 miles). The car has been running actually just fine since then only driving to work. I've been real gentle to it and only hear a slight almost what I want to call grind/like moving grind when going from 0-10. After I get past 10 mph and on the freeway it is fine. By the way, it has not had any further problems going in reverse at all.

HELP! I really like my car and want to keep it, but not sure about overhauling a transmission.

By the way, I looked at a Cobalt yesterday, they are much smaller than my 1998 Cavalier, pretty compact, almost reminded me of a smaller Focus. I was quite surprised on how small it was.
  • dontshopthewaldontshopthewal Member Posts: 49
    My 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS was purchased in July of 2004 and it had only 6 miles on it at the time. Now it has over 2500 miles, and I enjoy it thoroughly and have had absolutely no problems. I like the good amount of features.
    I also own a 1998 Cavalier. It's the Z24 model. I have owned it from day one. In your case, you bought it used. You do not know how the past owner took care of the vehicle. If the Chevy dealer is reliable for you, I would take their suggestion and have the transmission overhauled.
       My car has been very reliable and has never left me stranded even when the on board computer dropped all it's programming. The car still drove great. I have over 71,000 miles on it and hope to keep it for a very long time.
  • konekone Member Posts: 19
    I currently have an older Nissan Pathfinder as a third vehicle used almost exclusively by my kids. It's starting to take a lot of $ (plus low mpg, safety, etc) and before I dump anymore into it I was thinking I could trade it in on a new Cavalier. With the current discounts by GM, it looks like the trade and a few grand could get me a new car.

Aby thoughts?
    As mentioned above, I have a 2004 Cavalier LS with gigantic discounts. So far, I am loving it! Nothing is wrong with the car, great power, features (with LS package), etc. The only annoyance is a few squeaks in the dash- that's it.

I would recommend this car for you, as long as you aren't too nit-picky.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    If safety is a concern of yours, the Cavalier doesnt seem like a very logical choice.

~alpha
  • mailejonesmailejones Member Posts: 1
    Well, I'm glad this is a place to post such info. Not so glad about other....

I have a 1997 Chevy Cavalier, am a mother turtle speed to normal driver(don't drive the car hard).

My car had a fire hazard recall for the ignition start up; it has a current ongoing gas smell (fire hazard) the smell comes in through the vents or A/C or heater when in use, the Chevy dealerships have not been able to diagnose the problem from 2000 to 12/2004 current date, a safety hazard recall for the front wheel assembly steering hazard; it used to have a dome light with an automatic shut off which had to be completely disconnected or remain on only to drain the battery and now has no dome light when the doors are opened. The reading lights both achieved a short circuit and remained on which I disconnected at this time instead of having to pay someone to fix it without solving the dome light problem first.

I am thoroughly disgusted with a car that is a worry because of the gas smell and fumes being emitted, no dealership of the car maker in town can fix it. No consumer resolve on the issue.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    The most probable cause of fuel smell is external leakage of the fuel injectors, they need to be replaced there is no way to repair them. Leaking injectors are a common problem around that year. Of course a mechanic should check them for external leakage,they are too costly to replace on a guess.
  • frederick_76frederick_76 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 cavalier and it seems to me that the ABS is not working??? Any one have this problem with the ABS failing???
  • elcoyototeelcoyotote Member Posts: 1
    i bought a new 05 and it is perfect, i love the design and im sad that such a reliable car is no longer going to be made.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Cavalier is still available as a Pontiac Sunfire. Sunfire is scheduled to be built at least into the 2006 model year.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    "perfect" doesn't come to mind when describing the cavalier.

the sunfire won't be available as a 4 door though.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    I feel fortunate in picking up one of the last 2005 Cavaliers (2-dr coupe)-- at dealer invoice price less $4,500 in rebates (I have had very good service from five prior year Cavaliers).

The car I chose does not have "power door locks", something I would like to have. Has anyone had this option added aftermarket to a Cavalier, and at what cost?

Since this is my lady's car and must sit outside in our currently frigid weather, I have not been able to comfortably search for the oil filter housing (which on the Ecotec 2.2L engine has, I believe, a removable end cap - the filter cartridge being inside the housing?). Would someone please tell me how to access this housing? From above or below? How difficult is it to change the filter cartridge?
    It has warmed up locally so I was able to locate the oil filter housing on my new 2005 Cavalier with 2.2L Ecotec engine. Viewed while standing at front of vehicle, the filter housing is just to the right of the valve cover, just behind the air intake tubing. Looks fairly easy to reach down there and remove cover, but very tight for removing cover with filter cartridge attached. Yes or no someone?
  • cc732cc732 Member Posts: 6
    I have a '99 coupe with over 78,000 miles (127,000 kms) on it. I've never changed the oil myself in the last 6 yrs. since it was much more convienient to have a local lube/tire shop do it for a few bucks. I don't think there is "aftermarket" power door locks for the Cavalier. I love my little blue coupe and will keep driving it as long as I can. It hasn't given me any problems outside of a power steering return hose. Good Luck with your new purchase, alternator
    If you or someone else is looking for power door locks, look to JC Whitney. They have a set for around $79.00 for 2 doors and $99.00 for 4 doors.
  • isseyvooisseyvoo Member Posts: 121
    The time has finally come. Just got the word that my '92 Cavalier (which was my first new car purchase) is leaking from the head gasket (again - replaced once at 50K). Got a quote of $1,200 to repair. It only has 107K miles on it, but the body is starting to rust, so there's no way I'm going to put good money after bad with another head gasket change. (Replaced exhaust, alternator and 4 tires this past year.) I kinda feel like I'm putting a pet down. Gotta remind myself it's just a piece of metal. Was hoping to have it awhile longer though. Guess my Olds is going to have to get used to life as a real car instead of a garage queen that only comes out for trips and weekend saunters in good weather!
  • joe_kjoe_k Member Posts: 3
    is the 2.2l plagued by head gasket problems? Or is it not as common as I've been hearing? (I have a 1997 Cavalier with the 2.2l)
    My five previous 4-cyl Cavaliers (1984, 1987, 1989, 1992, and 1996 models) averaged about 65,000 miles each when I sold them. I never had a head gasket problem. On several of them, I had some minor oil seepage at the valve cover, but not enough to warrant gasket replacement.
  • joe_kjoe_k Member Posts: 3
    Cool, thanks for the info. Working on the cooling fan right now. Have replaced the relay/fuse/motor, still no fan....
  • chevygirlchevygirl Member Posts: 18
    After being in two car wrecks in two months, I found myself in the market for a used car. I found my 2004 Summit White Cavvy at a Pontiac dealer for around $7,500, with 24,000 miles. It is a pretty basic model, no power anything, but that is OK with me. I drive it at least 50 miles a day, and it has been both reliable and fun to drive! The CD player is great, and so are the speakers. I too am mourning the passing of this fun, reliable little car.
    If you are in the market for an inexpensive car that looks cute and drives well, this is for you. If you have caviar dreams and champagne wishes, you best look elswhere!
    Peace!
    Bought in Jan. Small changes made since my last Cav (1996) have made the Cav a more comfortable, better car, one that I am enjoying immensely.

And the 140 HP Ecotec engine is essentially what is in the new Cobalt.

I had keyless entry, including trunk pop, added last week for $275 (by an outfit called Sound Connection.

Unlike after-market car radios (I always favored Alpines and installed them myself), the Up-grade Cav radio (with 6 speakers, CD but not MP3) has a display of time and station large enough and bright enough that I can easily read same without resort to bi-focals.

I believe the last of the Cavs is the best buy in compact cars I've ever come across.
  • tina6tina6 Member Posts: 1
    DEAR SIR IN REGAURDS TO YOUR QUESTION TO ACCESS THE OIL FILTER YOU'LL NEED A 1IN SOCKET AND A CANISTER OIL FILTER TO REPLACE IT THE CANISTER IS LOCATED TOP SIDE FRONT DRIVERSIDE OF THE MOTOR JUST A LITTLE BIT UNDER THE THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD EASY ACCESS 2MIN SWAP I PROMISE BE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A VERY SHORT SOCKET THE LID SCREWS OFF OUT IT COMES 2 1/2-- 3 IN FILTER IS ATTACHED TO LID IT JUST POPS OFF POP ON NEW ONE
    Thanks tina6, but I should point out that the socket needed is 1 1/4 inch. Wow, what a tiny filter!

With Rhino Ramps, Fram SureDrain oil drain device and an Ecotec engine, why anyone would not change their own oil is beyond me (besides physical impairment). You save a lot of money and you know the job has actually been done.
  • cavownscavowns Member Posts: 1
    So far so good I guess:
    -Driver's side seat cover(in the back) actually fell partially off
    -Drivers front tire needed replacement
    -Passenger window control button literally cracked and fell through in the middle (it still works just looks bad)
    -Engine runs smooth
    -No other problems

I commute to school and I put about 12k miles in 6 months, due to freeway driving. I also drive down the lodge, which is a horrible road, almost everyday. Hope this helps someone :D
    I am glad you are enjoying your Cavalier. I too have a 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS, and it now has 5800 miles. I am enjoying it, and absolutely nothing has gone wrong, although there are a few rattles in the dash. Soon, the car will be taking a 250 mile trip, which will be enjoyable.

Also, it gets great gas mileage compared with my Ford Expedition.
  • carguy1954carguy1954 Member Posts: 2
    Need help with this problem. Have had an intermittent miss problem on 2.2 1994 cavalier.
    Replaced plugs, wires and one coil [ for #2 and 3] b/c my timing light test showed that missing
    is on #2 and sometimes #3. Replaced coil last night and runs well but can detect miss on #2.
    After each replacement, 1st plugs, then wires and now we'll see about coil, the car ran well for a few weeks or in the case of wires, days, and then developed a horrible miss which sometimes disappears by itself. Any suggestions?

thanks
  • chevygrl28chevygrl28 Member Posts: 1
    Alright, I know I am a girl- but Just wondering if you checked the fuel injectors??? Because currently I have a rough idle and it is caused by 1 bad fuel injector. =)
    My 2004 Cavalier LS has 5,950 miles on it, and I have been thoroughly enjoying every mile. Recently (yesterday as a matter of fact), the "Service Engine" light came on. I don't think it is very major, and I am having the tires rotated on Monday, so I will get the dealership to have a look. But I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what could be triggering this?
    Thanks

PS- In the manual it says something about the emmisions system..
  • lexielexie Member Posts: 45
    I own a 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier and it is worst investment I have ever made. If you are thinking about buying a car for a reasonable price, read this because it happened to me. Do not let those rebates lure you in as was exactly what happened to me.

I had just gotten out of college and was looking for a reliable car to get from point A to B. I did not care about anything else except that it was new because the warrant WAS important to me. I was looking at the Madza, Honda Civic and Toyota Echo but the Cavalier won my heart because of the $2000 rebate. I felt that I was getting a good deal.

Car required a new transmission around 17,000 miles in July 2003. The overdrive was completely torn. Car spent 17 days in the shop. Repair was covered under warranty. Took it in two times previously and they could not find out the problem until I insisted that there was a problem.

The radiator cracked at around 23,300 miles. Service advisor told me it happens to 1 in a million. The coolant leaked inside of the transmission causing it not able to build pressure. Almost required a second transmission replacement. Fought GM to reimbursement on the repair of $1162. They reimbursed me for $1062 even though it was out of warranty but because of the low mileage. Three months later, in late Feb 05, body valve and shift solenoid needed repair and it was $698. The car had less than 24,000 miles. It is a chain of events happening w/ the transmission. My car spent 30 days in the shop since I purchased it. I lost faith in it and filed a complaint w/ the BBB to request a buy back. Got a call from GMC and I was told that they went far and beyond to help me and that they cannot keep paying for the repairs. They are man made and things like this are going to happen. They indeed did me a BIG favor -constanting sending me back to the shop, not to mention the setbacks that I sustained! So basically the message I got was, 'tough sh&t, deal with it'. The issue here is not about the faulty car, but whether GMC stand behind their products or not and in this case, they did not. Spend the extra several grands and get something reliable and with good resale value. If you cannot afford a reliable car, lease one. I never thought it would happen to me but it did. I drive 120 miles a week and took good care of it w/ the intention of making good use of it.
    I suppose you mean "GM" when you say GMC? GMC does not make the Cavalier, but makes SUVs. It is another subsidiary of GM as is Chevrolet, Pontiac, Saturn, etc.
    I did not know that General Motors Corporations only makes SUVS. The last time I checked they make coupes, 4 door sedans, SUVs, pick-up trucks and sport/cargo vans.
    Well, MOST people would become confused with your way of putting it, as here in the US (are you from Canada or something?), GMC is a subsidiary of GM which is General Motors. I guess some people refer to it(General Motors) as GMC, but it is confusing because GMC is a subsidiary of GM..
  • cavrebelcavrebel Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to remove my center console in my 2002 cavalier coupe! Cuz I bought a short throw shifter for it and I want to switch it with the factory sifter! so if anyone knows... please help me out!
    Thank you for clarifying. I always thought that General Motors Corporation is registered as GMC.
    And if you already own one, I am sorry. You cannot even give it away for scrap metal. It has the worse resale value and it is not a cheap car either.
    My five previous 4-cyl Cavaliers (1984, 1987, 1989, 1992, and 1996 models) averaged about 65,000 miles each when I sold them. I never had any problems with any of them, except early replacement of alternators on the first two.

I recently bought a 2005 Cav Coupe. Small but noticeable changes made since my last Cav (1996) have made the Cav a more comfortable, better car, one that I am enjoying immensely. And the 140 HP Ecotec engine is essentially the same engine as is in the new Cobalt.

Despite a lot of hooey about how ancient the Cav design now is, I've always averaged about 24 mpg and servicing the car is relatively easy. I sincerely believe the last of the Cavs is the best buy in compact cars I've ever come across.

I also own a 2002 Mazda Protege. A good car, but scarcely better than the Cav in my opinion, and it doesn't get as good gas mileage.
    You have gotten to be kidding me? No sign of wear and tear and told them the car has no mechanic defect and that is the quote I got.... Scrap metal worths more...
  • future1future1 Member Posts: 103
    Consumer Reports published the list of the most and least satisfying cars. The Cavalier ended up the second least satisfying in the "small cars" category (44%). I scanned this board, and it seems consistent with the CR: I mostly see the terms "disgusting", "pathetic", "worst", and "trouble" in here. I am very curious, why do you folks keep buying it? I mean, there are sensible choices out there among the small cars in the similar price range that have the satisfaction index at least 40 points higher (Prius, Scion, Civic, Mazda3). I am just trying to understand.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    You can buy a 05 new for less than $9000.
    I would not buy it again even if it go as low as $5000. I found the incentive attractive at the time. I never thought that a new car would give me this much trouble and with the warranty, I thought it was a good choice but it turned out to be the worst investment I made thus far. From the people that I talked to that own it - it is either a hit or a miss. I take my money and gamble somewhere else.
    There is a lot of hooey everywhere (particularly on the internet) about what an ancient, deplorable, cheap, troublesome car the Cavalier is. I don't think it was just luck that I have had very satisfactory service now from six different Cavaliers over a period exceeding 20 years!. And I have had experience with owning and driving cars since 1948. And I have always done the maintenance service myself on all my cars.

Yes, some people will get an occasional lemon from any make of car, and that may well sour them for life on that particular make or model car. But, considering the very large volume of Cavaliers sold, where is the hard evidence that, percentage-wise, the Cavalier has had more than its share of problems?

Surely there are other Cavalier owners that will side with me? Please let us hear from you guys. In any case, you've heard my personal opinion. Enough said from me, a very Happy Cavalier Owner!
  • future1future1 Member Posts: 103
    But, considering the very large volume of Cavaliers sold, where is the hard evidence that, percentage-wise, the Cavalier has had more than its share of problems?

The above mentioned Consumer Reports is the evidence that you are looking for. This year, they asked 250,000 consumers how satisfied they are with the vehicle they are driving. In the small car category, 44% of Chavalier owners were satisfied, compared to 94% of Prius owners, 87% of Scion owners, and 80% of Mazda3 owners.
    I believe that is mostly the result of the brainwashing that occurs after years of media inattention, and finally abuse, that is usually given to any proven design that doesn't give the media very much new to talk about from year to year, over a long lifespan.

I have seen the Cavalier improve steadily from year to year, and now the best Cavalier ever is being sold at bargain prices. Generally I sell my Cavaliers to personal friends who have always said that they have gotten continuing good performance from their purchases.
    I must agree with you about the Cavalier. I have owned a 1986 RS with only having to replace the fuel pump. I owned that one till 1992 when I moved overseas.
    When I came back to the states, I test drove quite a few cars, including the Dodge Neon, and was very happy with picking the 1995 4 door Cavalier. I owned that till 2001 with no problems. I bought a 1998 Z24 and still have it. The only things I have had to replace in the Z is the battery and the water pump. The water pump went out with 60000 miles on the car. The Z still runs great and I still get 33mpg on the highway trips and about 30 town driving. I would say that I am a very satisfied Cavalier owner. :D