Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    If you are talking about factory security, if it is on the security light will keep flashing. In security mode the injectors will not open, no ground from PCM. You should still get spark so I don’t think it is security issue. You also should still get the fuel pump, my understanding is the security only cuts off injectors, so no go.
    The only suggestion I have for the pins is spray them with electronic cleaner and connect and reconnect the plug 6 or more times to scrape the corrosion off.
    Also there was a TSB on the 95 to install a water shield so the connector would not corrode.
  • beehivebeehive Member Posts: 7
    anybody have any advice.. my car acts like it wants to die when I am at a stop light. I have a 2004 cavalier. I am new at fixing cars. I have changed the fuel filter and the air filter.. I was thinking maybe spark plugs, but I am not sure. I could use some help.
  • bunt21_gbunt21_g Member Posts: 8
    its probly the track. it will open fine but when it closes it gets bound? or stuck? try greaseing the track and gears for the sunroof. (you may have to take out the cieling pannel. if the sunroof gets stuck in the same place every time but will still close once in a while. the there is probly a bad spot on the track. (bent, or worn) if the sunroof never closes all the way it could be any of these and more but look at the track and gears(or whatever drives it) make sure nothings obstructing or damaged. GOOD LUCK!
  • kcybulskiekcybulskie Member Posts: 5
    i sugest taking to a machanic and getting the codes checked- i had a simular problem with my 98- seemed to do it the more humid it was- turns out that the was a bunch of garbage codes in the computer that needed eraseing. worked for me
  • jmoore81jmoore81 Member Posts: 13
    I had that problem and it was bad plug wires. My 98 had a service advisory put out about it. I would remove the plugs one at a time to see if any of them have excessive build up on them. If they do the plug could be bad but in my experience it was the wire.
  • dobler55dobler55 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Guys:

I need to change the wire (it went loose) that goes from the gear shift to the gear box, does anyone has a manual with instructions or an idea on how to do it. Mine is a 98LS Auto, 2.2. Thanks
    since my car is a 2004 is has a coil pack and not plug wires. I changed out the spark plugs changed and today I was driving it and I had the air on and it died.. then I had to pump the gas petal when I was trying to start it.. it finally started after about 8 pumps so then I stop at a stop sign and it did it again so again I pumped,,, of course I come to a yield sign and I was just turning into track and I had to pump it just to
    get it going faster,, I still think fuel line somehow.. but I had it flushed... going crazy now.. lol :confuse: image
    since my car is a 2004 it has a coil pack and not plug wires. I changed out the spark plugs changed and today I was driving it and I had the air on and it died.. then I had to pump the gas petal when I was trying to start it.. it finally started after about 8 pumps so then I stop at a stop sign and it did it again so again I pumped,,, of course I come to a yield sign and I was just turning into track and I had to pump it just to
    get it going faster,, I still think fuel line somehow.. but I had it flushed... going crazy now.. lol :confuse: image
    since my car is a 2004 it has a coil pack and not plug wires. I changed out the spark plugs on sunday and then today I was driving it and I had the air on and it died.. then I had to pump the gas petal when I was trying to start it.. it finally started after about 8 pumps so then I stop at a stop sign and it did it again so again I pumped,,, of course I come to a yield sign and I was just turning into track and I had to pump it just to
    My 98 cavalier tries to die with the A/C turned on. The car idles up and down and the battery light flashes. This on happens at low Rpms. If I am doing 70 on the freeway with the A/C on everything is good. I had the alternator and battery both checked and they test ok. The weird thing is my ABS started acting up right before this started. I tried hooking jumper cable up to another running vehicle to see if the erratic idle would stop but it didn't. Also if I am stuck in traffic for awhile the engine will start doing it without the A/C on. Any ideas? It has 205,000 on it would like to get some more, it gets good mileage.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Most cars have something to regulate the engine's idle (i.e. idle sensor, idle motor, etc.). This part may be the problem. Also, check the basics. Replace the fuel filter if you haven't done so within the last 30K miles, replace ignition wires if they are original, etc. Good luck.
  • hornet0419hornet0419 Member Posts: 1
    I don't know about the industry standard but i just replaced my front brake pads and rotors in about an hour and paid only $100 for the parts. You can do it in your driveway with a jack and a few tools. About the pads you can buy pads that will last longer then the OEM ones from EBC just look them up on google
  • halscahalsca Member Posts: 15
    The Cavalier's brakes are quite simple compaired to some I've seen. I hope you used premium quality brake pads like the cermamic ones made by Raybestos they're much quieter and cleaner too.
    The more I read about the Idle Speed Control Actuator the more I think it is my problem. Anybody else had this issue? I am going to try and take it apart this weekend and test it. The bad thing is nobody seems to have the part in stock so if I have to replace it I will have to get it ordered.
    I have finally figured out the problem on my car. I had to change out my spark plugs and I had to change out my coil pack. After changing out everything under the moon. lol. I still think the idle is making it run a little rough so if I was you I would try and adjust it for now and see if that works and then order the part if it dosen't work. I am like you I keep trying this and that and finally after paying out 700 dollars I can say my car does not die at stop signs. Good luck and hopefully you won't spend as much as I have just trying to figure out one little problem. Good Luck !!!!
  • chuckphillipschuckphillips Member Posts: 1
    How did you fix the sunroof. Ours is doing the same.

can you email me. chuckphillips@juno.com.

Thanks!
  • rorytaterorytate Member Posts: 21
    Hi,
    I have a 1998 Chev Cavalier which doesn't have power locks.
    My drivers door is stuck on lock, the only way I can get the door open is if i put my key in, turn as if I was unlocking the door then pull the handle. I MUST hold the key in the unlocked position until I pull the handle up. It won't unlock. When I get out of the car I need to pull open the lock and hold it while pulling the handle to get out.

How hard/easy would it be to fix that myself, and what am I going to be looking for when I open it up?

Thanks! :(
  • cav_rider666cav_rider666 Member Posts: 8
    I would definetly have the radiator dealer tested and you may want to take a closer look at the water pump; sometimes despite the fact that the pump spins nicely, a problem may exist. Try taking off the drive belt; you'll need a drive belt removal tool (approx. 30$-60$). With the drive belt off try moving the pump pulley side to side in a horizontal fashion; if you notice any exisive movement, a pump bearing has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Also check to see if any coolant is seeping from the pump's weep hole.

If you find you have to add coolant frequently, I would also inspect all hoses and the tank itself for leaks. Hope all goes well ;)
  • cav_rider666cav_rider666 Member Posts: 8
    You will have to get the ECU flashed by a GM dealership. I would also get the iginition modual and fuel pump tested before purchasing a new ECU as it is an expensive purchase and has to be programmed by General Motors. :sick:
  • k_erink_erin Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1991 Chevy Cavalier RS (2.2L 4 Cylinder). Last month we noticed a slow power steering leak and I am wanting to know if this model of cavalier has just one hose leading from the pump or if there are 2 hoses, and whether the hose(s) are low pressure or high pressure?

The power steering pump was replaced 2 years ago.
  • whoohiwhoohi Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I have a really simple question to ask that I need help on because I know nothing about cars. Anyways, my '96 chevy cavalier was broken into and somebody stole the really car radio that the previous owner had installed. I still have the original factory radio to replace it but I am having some difficulty.

Well my problem is that there are two wires in the dashboard thing to plug into the radio. I have plugged in the one thats for the power but there is the other plug that I am sure is for the radio antenna because the radio works but does not pick up any stations.

I'm not sure how to plug radio wire in because I dont think there is a place on the factory radio for it. It has a plug that looks like a big ear phone plug, unlike the power plug that looks like a hard drive plug. Let me know what to do or if I need to describe the situation better. Thanks a lot to anyone that can help.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Surely your factory antenna cable terminates in a plug like the lower item in this picture

http://www.hama.de/bilder/00043/abb/00043622abb.jpg

and the factory radio must have an input like the end of the upper item in the same picture (sometimes on the side and not the back of the radio)

Let me know if I have misunderstood your info or question.
    Do-it-yourselfers, where have you bought this gasket and how much have you paid? The high price the manufacturers are asking for the filter itself, I believe they should include the gasket, but they don't.
  • bmx13bmx13 Member Posts: 1
    got a 2000 cavalier with a 2.2 that hesitates when you get to half throttle in or out of gear and starts losing power . could it be a sensor or fuel issue ?
    I would start with a new fuel filter.
  • navy76navy76 Member Posts: 2
    I would like to know how to put the back seat back in for my Chevrolet cavalier. I don,t know how the little black hooks work. Can someone tell me.
  • navy76navy76 Member Posts: 2
  • lauriemc64lauriemc64 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 96 cavalier that my husband replaced the timing chain on. The timing does not seem to be right........how do you set the timing on it?
    According to Chilton's Cavalier 1995-2000 Repair Manual the timing is controlled by how the timing chain is reinstalled. For the 2.2L engine there are timing marks on the sprockets. For the 2.3L and 2.4L engines the timing chain and crankshaft sprocket must be marked before removal.

The Chilton Manual may be available at your local library. I'm no mechanic, but I would suggest you seek professional help in getting chain properly timed.
  • rlp50rlp50 Member Posts: 13
    Hi,
    I have a 98 Cavalier with daytime running lights. Problem is when I turn on the headlights the passenger side headlight is dim while the drivers side one is normal, High beams both work fine. Both lights are dim when on during the daylight hours (about the same intensity as the dim headlight is when I turn on the headlights at night. I'm thinking a bad ground somewhere but sure could us some help.
    Thanks,
    Bob
  • lasselllassell Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Cavalier with just over 100,000 miles and it seems to have found itself a new problem. It is an automatic, and while in drive yet not moving yet, so foot on the brack, car stopped, the RPM's are bouncing between 500 and 1000, where it used to just sit at 500. A clicking noise is also now coming from the engin, though I can't pinpoint the exact location. Both of these problems started at the same time, so leads me to beleive that they are related.
    I have no idea what the problem could be and don't really have the cash to have a mechanic look at it. I was hoping someone with some knowledge would have something of a better answer for me,
    Thanks!
    My best guess is timing chain problem, the tensioner failing is a known problem on high mileage 2.2.
    For do-it-yourselfers, the GM Ecotec engine requires a low-profile 1 1/4 inch socket to remove the plastic cap on top of the built-in oil filter. This tool is not easy to find.

However, Amazon.com is presently selling the "Lisle 14700 Oil Filter Wrench for GM 2.2L" for $8.94 --- shipping is free if you buy something else that makes your order total over $25 (the something else can be anything you were probably going to buy anyway --- such as say a computer printer ink cartridge.)
  • mindahmindah Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I have a 2003 cavalier and am upset++++ @this vehicle...it starts when it wants to...lately if I don't use it for 4-5 hours it won't start...it clicks but that's it. Winter is just starting and it really hasn't been that cold, so I am wondering what in the world the problem is....It has a new battery, alternator and starter have been checked...any ides/help would be greatly appreciated.... :mad:
  • crosbytrcrosbytr Member Posts: 2
    I've had a similar problem with engine overheating. Thermostat will not open when the temp is reached. Thermostat has been replaced several times, but nothing. I am going to put in a 12V solenoid and manually open the valve to allow flow through the radiator. I wanted to know if anyone knows where I could get a diagram of the coolant flowpath to ensure I put the valve in the correct spot and the correct direction. Thanks.
  • aandm90aandm90 Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 cav was making a humming sound over the speakers. Removed fuse from amp and sound was gone.Radio still worked(am/fm/cd/clock).Now the radio doesnt have any sound,the clock works and the radio shows the stations. Any ideas?
  • jlittlejlittle Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 cavalier...i am currently buying a 3.8L Series 3 Supercharged V6 as a crate engine from the GM dealership neer where i live at in Concord, NC. As you know the engines come in FWD cars such as Grand Prix GTP and RWD cars as Firebirds. Now my question is i'm wanting to do custom firewall work to move it back and replace it with titanium grade and also convert the cavy over to RWD...the problems i am having its this..with i need to find another chassie/fram that is compatiable with the cavaliers body and move everthing to it and if so do yall know the frams i can get..i have heard of putting it on a S-10 frame not sure if that is true...second of all what type tranny's would be compatable to match up....it would be nice to use the firebirds tranny to hook up but i don't know if it will fit under the car and have clearance too. All my mods are from zzp and intence racing currently there V6 engine is at 810hp and runnen a 1/4mile at 8.91 at 152.4mph..remarakable time for a V6...so if anyone has any tips that could help me do this or live around the area and want to just meet up about cavalier customs let me know i'd be very interested in yalls oppinions..i can't find pixs of my car right now on the computer but when i get them on my myspace i'll post the link so yall can see my car.

thanks again,

Josh
  • jenn9jenn9 Member Posts: 3
    did you ever get an answer to this question? my car is an 02 and i have the same problem. they told me that it is the timing chain. i am trying to find out how much it will entail to fix it myself. let me know if you have any ideas! thanks
  • bfmechbfmech Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem did you find a fix?
  • lauriemc64lauriemc64 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 1999 cavalier from a car lot....it runs pretty good except the oil light
    comes on when you are idling or when you put the brakes on to slow down or stop. Anyone know what this could be? Thanks
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    Anyone know what this could be?

You might check out the thread below for a similar problem and the replies. Start with message #3365.

"Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2"
  • rlp50rlp50 Member Posts: 13
    Unfortunately I have been too busy lately to get back at this. I did all the visual checks and all wiring looks fine, at least nothing obvious. Need to get out the tester and do some tracing next. I'm pretty sure it's a bad ground somewhere, so if I can't trace it I will probably try to re-wire directly from the good headlight. I'll post if and when I get it fixed. Please do the same if you get yours fixed before me.
    Cheers
    There is a factory splice between the headlights, can't remember where it is, just have to look for it under the plastic cover. The splice is a known problem area.
    yeah, the problem is the timing chain. i guess when the cavalier hits about 50,000 miles, the timing chain can start to go. i looked into having someone fix it but it will cost about $700
  • slwsjwslwsjw Member Posts: 1
    I need to purchase a set of tires for my daughter's 2002 Cavalier. I would like to buy a good set of tires for a reasonable price; but, I am more interested in performance and durability. What do you recommend?
  • turns77turns77 Member Posts: 1
    Headlights and daytime runnning lights due not work. Every other signal and light works. Fogs work.
    When car is on and u turn lights on nothing happens except tail and signal lights. if the lights off and put into drive the right headlight indicator flashes 4-5 times and service eng light comes on. If u leave in park and turn lights on no flashing or eng soon light but no lights are on.

DRL relay was checked and headlamps are good.
    I bought mine at a place called tire kingdom. they weren't the cheapest tires, but they weren't the most expensive either. they really have a good collection of them there. with the tire purchase I received free tire rotation and free maintenance, they also included a really good warranty. I drove on those tires for a year and then drove from Ohio to Florida. I still have good tread, they don't lose air, and they are still really good in the snow. I am not sure where you live, but if you have a place called Tire Kingdom, I would go there. Oh, and for 4 brand new tires it cost me a little under $325. Not bad if you ask me!!
  • jmersejmerse Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Chevy Cav LS Convertible. The ABS light has been on for years now, and I never got around to looking at why. I am mechanically inclined and do everything myself, but I don't really know where to start here. Is it in the brakes or is it something with the electrical? Did anyone have a similar problem?
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    I'm not a mechanic but the first things I would check are the wheel sensors. Make sure all 4 of them are properly attached and that the end of the sensor doesn't have a layer of brake dust or other dirt covering it. Maybe give them a good hosing with brake spray cleaner.

Did you browse the Brakes forum for an answer?

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef14c39/?ed_displayMakeModelRelatedDiscus- - sions!make=CATS&model=Brakes
    Check the wheel sensor ohm's, they will be close, you can then weed out the bad one.The wiring on the left front has been a problem, chaffing on suspension.