Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• nra4evernra4ever Member Posts: 2
    i have a 92 cavalier we just replaced with a venture (for more room) as we have two kids now. wife's previous car was a accord which i made her get rid of before i would marry her(had to work on that car 1 too many times). the cav is bad on brakes(2 replacements on rear and 5 on front, all lifetime pads) and heater works when it wants too(can't locate problem for 3 years)other than oil changes every 3 to 4K. no problems at 97000 miles. its not perfect,(which no car every will be)i am hard to please and basicly a ford person but know value when i see it. i would recommend the car to anyone who needs a car of that size.
  • ssharsshar Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1989 Cavalier that I bought new, I have finally come to the decision that I will buy a new car. I was all set on buying a new Cavalier since I have really had no major trouble with the one that I now own. I have been checking out the new Cavaliers and am a little concerned about the info on the crash percentage not being very good. Has anyone bought a 2000 Cavalier recently and if so how do you like it?
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    My mother in-law just bought a 2000 Cavalier with 0.9% financing. So far she seems very pleased. She is a heavy driver so we should find out soon how it holds up. We have a 99 Cavalier (as a second car) with 18K on it and it's been perfect. Cavalier isn't the best car in the world, but for the money and features, it's hard to beat.
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    My fiance bought a 2000 Cavalier. We are very pleased with the car. It gets us where we want to go and it is very economical. WE got the LS model. It's a fun little car to drive and a very cute looking one too. Good luck! :-)
  • beeslappabeeslappa Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Chev Cavalier 2.2L. I get a really bad smell especially when I drive fast and the rpm goes high. Well the smell is coming from the engine I think and it might be a leak. Well I hope I am not the only person with this problem and I doubt I am since Chevys all share the same problems. Well I took it to the dealership and they said the head cylinder gasket was not leaking nor was the coolant b/c it smelt like coolant. If anyone can help me plz mail at beeslapa@idirect.ca
    I would take it to a different dealership. It's a bit of a pain, but sometimes one guy can't find the problem and another can. I regularly take our Cavalier over 130km/h and its fine.
  • 79377937 Member Posts: 390
    beeslappa, what does it smell like? The oil filter for the Cavalier 2.2 engine is mounted at the back of the engine above the exhaust pipe. Every time I change my oil and filter I'll get a hot oil smell from the engine for about a week. No matter how hard I try, I cannot avoid spilling oil when I take the filter off. Also, if the oil filter is leaking it will drip onto the hot exhaust pipe. Check that out.
  • 89er189er1 Member Posts: 1
    i'm not pretending to know much about cars, however, i am honestly surprised by all the problems people have reported! I have been upset all week b/c i had to put an alternator, fan belt, and a catalytic converter on my car in one week (almost 600 bucks total!!)
    but, unlike all of you--my cavalier is an '89 sedan- which i have had since '96, and never done a thing to besides new tires until this week! it has 135K and runs great (with all it's new parts!)
    perhaps they used to make cavaliers better than they do now!? is that possible?
    everyone else i know w/older cavaliers say they've been great too!!
    i am however selling it now! just graduated from college, got a job--thinking a used honda???
    Keep in mind the Cavalier is pretty basic transport and most people don't come here to rave about their car. People come here for solutions to their problems. Cavaliers are basically good cars, especially since 96. Used Hondas are pricey. If you go Japanese, I would suggest a Mazda or a Nissan.
    89er1, if you read the comments about other makes of motorcars you'll see that they have just as many problems. I don't think however that the 96 onwards Cavaliers have any glaring defects. Head gaskets were a problem that seems to be fixed up from 98 to now. It's surprising how more supposedly reliable and expensive motorcars seem to give more trouble than the Cavaliers.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    For more info on the head gasket blowing thing (which is provoked by the coolant smell) go to http://www.lemonaidcars.com and click on "secret warranties watch" to the left of the screen.
  • matty99matty99 Member Posts: 7
    I am 17 year old high school student. Recently in my little town i was looking at used cars because soon i would like to buy one. At one of the dealerships i went to ask the salesperson if they still had the Subaru Impreza that i saw there last week... the salesperson told me that they did not, then he asked me to look at a car he had out on the lot. The car was a 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2 dr. base, the paint was in nice shape, it was built decently and i even test drove it, i thought that the steering was really nicely weighted, and overall drove very good... the car only has 33,000 miles on it so it does have a lot of life left, the price was $8,500 w/taxes, tags, etc. i thought it was an ok deal but i just cant get a car yet because my mother will not co-sign for me (even though i have a well paying job) anyways what i want to say is when you go out looking for a used car, dont forget the Cavalier, it is worth the look, PLEASE NOTE : The Chevrolet Cavalier and Pontiac Sunfire are built off of the same platform and share many parts, but in my opinion in the vehicles i have seen the Chevrolet Cavalier appears to be MUCH BETTER BUILT, the reason for this is quite simple... in the Sunfire, GM has made the interior trim pieces to where after a few years they will start to loosen, in the Cavaliers' interior everything is kept simple helping it's build quality... While these cars are not built to the strict standards of some Japanese or asian makes, they make up for that in price and insurance premiums... my first car WILL be a Chevrolet Cavalier!
    You are going to be sorry. Back in July 1999, I found a nice, low-mileage white 1996 Cavalier base with automatic and only 31,051 miles for $7995. I bought it, because I thought it was an excellent deal. What a mistake! Within the next 3 months and 9265 that I had it, the brakes had to be serviced 3 times, the parking brake 5 times, the P/S pump leaked, the muffler had to be replaced, the front strut, cigarette lighter, and trunk lock also had to be replaced. And it squeaked and rattled like it was 10 years old! What a mess! Also, trade-in value sucks on them. I think you should check out a more reliable used car like a Honda, Toyota, or even a Mazda. Cavaliers are cheap to begin with (just like when they are new), but from experience of myself and about a dozen friends, they are not worth the risk when they get a little older.
    In my opinion you will be very pleased with the Cavalier. Basic transportation, cheap price for a young person who doesn't want to pay for the over priced competitors. The Cavalier is just a basic car to get from A to B, built solid, overall reliable. Take it from a person who has owned Chevy all his life. My fiance just bought a 2000 about 4 months ago and we could not be any happier with this car it's quite fun to drive. Compare the number of happy Cavalier owners vs the unhappy ones and the numbers will tell you more people love their Cavaliers than those who don't. Just make sure you have a Mechanic check the car out and you will not go wrong. Good Luck!
    Don't think your experience is typical of most. The Cavalier is no super car, but it's got average reliability and presents great value. We are on our second Cavalier ( a '99 used as my wifes commuter car), and we have never had a problem.
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    I think you should read the Edmunds.com 2000 Economy Sedan Review. Although the particular Cavalier you looked at didn't have looks trim pieces, look at the car that Edmunds got - brand new and the power window switches fell off. What are your main concerns when buying a car? If you want a safe car, don't look at the Cavalier, take a look at the poor offset crast tests done by the IIHS (www.iihs.org) and the poor side impact tests done by the NHTSA (www.nhtsa.dot.gov).
    The Edmunds review did not say that the power window switches fell off, they got PULLED off by the person reviewing the car just because they wanted to be stupid about the review. Remember this is a 17 year old who needs a basic car and the Cavalier will deliver with no problems. Good luck!
    Well, new drivers tend to be real hard on cars, and especially teenagers. Believe me, I am only 22 and remember being hard as hell on my first car. Everyone I know (around my age-- about 5 different people) all bought Cavaliers (1996-97) and they all blew head gaskets and fell apart within the past 3-4 years. A shame, because they are a nice car. And also, crash ratings and all are pretty bad too.
  • sunfgtsunfgt Member Posts: 40
    The 2.2 engine on the base Cavalier definitely has had a checkered past with head gasket failures. However, you can get GM to fix the problem for free, if you know how to present the case to them. They often try to push aside people with newer models, but as far as I know, the head gaskets still haven't gotten any better.

Try to get the 2.4 if you can. It's pricier and probably more difficult for you to get, but I've never heard people complain about that one.
    I know but do you really sit there and pull things off your car? B pillars, headliners? I know about being hard on a car but picking it apart seems a bit too much. Head gaskets were a problem with the 2.2 engine ( not sure if I got the 2.2 right) but anyways as good and valid as your opinion is I have had totally the opposite experience with family and friends who bought Cavaliers and tehy are still going. What do you mean by "falling apart". Sorry but I do not consider a switch that is yanked out of place on purpose or a squeak when going over bumps a "falling appart " issue. Now the rust and the deterioration on early Honda Accords ( you still see them rusting away nowadays) is in MY opinion falling apart. Either way the Cavalier will be a good choice for a first car no doubt abaout it. Withthe money you save you will be able to get a nicer and more expensive car years down the road. In the end it's Matty's choice and so far I think he's made a great one. good LucK!
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    If you consider rusting a valid falling apart issue, than what do you have to say about Chevy's well known rusting problem on their 80s-early 90s cars and trucks? Everyone knows, even Chevy lovers, that Chevy is a rust bucket. Their rust protection flat out sucks and the use of inferior steel shows itself. My Dad's 84 Chevy S-10 has been repainted many times and yet it still continues to have rust showing up around the windshield, doors, hood, and the bed (the bed support rods have almost completely deteriorated). Not to mention the gas tank rusted a hole right at the bottom 5 years ago. Just for comparison, my same year VW Rabbit has never rusted a hole through its gas tank to this day (and shows no sign of rust for that matter) and only has some minor rust on the inside rear quarter panel due to a sunroof leak that went on for many years.
    Trim and other problems plague my dad's S-10. The window keeps popping off its track, requiring him to leave the door panel off in order to roll up and down the window. The famous cheap, loose Chevy door handles that continue to be used in some cars to this day. The driver's door has problems staying shut. The AC expansion valve, located deep inside the instrument panel, has blown 3 times, 2 of which happened a few days apart. The radio won't work due to some wiring problem. The exhaust manifold gasket is a known design flaw that requires replacement every year or it produces a bad exhaust leak. The brakes require a few inches of travel before they start to work, and than when they do, they bite very hard all of a sudden, causing more frequent unneeded lockup (a well known GM brake problem that they are only now beginning to get right). The only thing the damn truck has going for it is a reliable engine (though the carbureator is messed up, causing the idle to stick too high and requiring 4 tries to get it started when cold).
    Anyway, I have to disagree with you about squeaks being a problem. If a car is not built solid enough to keep from sqeaking on a bump, than that lack of build quality will only continue to get worse wth age, leading to loose or broken trim pieces and other annoyances. GM needs to address their build quality issues. The whole reason my brother chose a Nissan Maxima over the Olds Intrigue was because he was concerned with the shoddy bild quality of the Intrigues he sat in. Examples: bare wires were showing as they went into the map lights at the rear seats, the front map light fell out as he went to turn it on, and the headliner was pulled loose where it connected to the side trim panels. These are minor problems but just imagine what happens as the car get older.
    The rust protection was not used in the 80s models, that started recently with the Lumina being one of the first ones I believe way back when. Yes I know I see Celebrities rusting away so your point?
    A squeak has absolutely nothing to do with build quality. It hasnothing to do with things being bolted on correctly or whatever you call it. Get out of that 80s shell you are talking about a 1984 S-10 for crying out loud. Is squeaks are bad quality issues then I guess the following vehicles have quality issues:

1) Fathers Nissan maxima ( squeaks when going over the bump, the glove box actually)

2) My co worker's Civic ( squeaks when the passenger door is opened)

3)Mitsubishi Mirage I rented while on vacation ( rattles from under the dash)

They were good cars but they had little squeaks here and there so by your theory they are lousy quality cars.

Besides we are talking a basic transportation car here which has proven to be a great little car even with the aging design. So the Chevy being a rust bucket comment, really stick your head out the window and look at the cars made NOW not the ones from 1984. Hey did you know that break dancing is no longer in style?
    I don't know if the 99 Cavalier can be called a rust bucket. I don't know about the models prior to that though. The sticker that was on my Cav. states, and I quote, "2 Sided galvanized steel on all body panels except roof." I know that is so because where a stone dinged the wheel arch I could see the galvanizing. I have since resealed the ding. And as far as the head gaskets go, I believe that most car makers had trouble with them in the beginning because they started using aluminum heads. The expansion of the aluminum head and the steel block takes place at different rates. I would say that by now GM would have been able to sort that out. Well, so far I'm very happy with my 2.2 liter Cavalier and have no problems what-so-ever to report.
  • matty99matty99 Member Posts: 7
    I appreciate all of your help, when a i get a couple hundred dollars more i plan on getting the 1997 2 dr base Cavalier 2.2L I already am making upgrade plans for the car! fist off i will get the black bumpers painted white (cars bodycolor), i also want to get the door handles and side mirrors painted white, i think that will make it look more unique, by the way i am a 17 year old yes, but i normally do not drive a car any rougher than an ordinary person, and i am so cautious when i drive, i also have some advice for teens w/driver licenses DONT DRIVE WITH OTHER PEOPLE IN YOUR CAR! if you can help it, i have been driving over a year now, and when i am alone in the car i have so much more focus on what i am doing!
    anyways thanks everyone for helping me out!
    Forgot to add that the 99 Cavalier came out with a stainless steel exhaust system. That should last for many years. I don't know if previous models had it though.
    The biggest rust buckets of the 80's were Hondas lngtonge. Most older Chevy Cavaliers I see these days have less rust then comparable Civics.

As for squeaks, I have 0 in my 99 Cavalier. The only thing that rattles is the tape when it's not in the tape player. Easily removed.

Boy, this Cavalier forum is busy all of a sudden. Must be the higher gas prices. ;-)
    7937, your Cavalier 2.2 has an iron block and head, so the aluminum head problem would not pertain to GM's head gasket failures on this engine. Head gasket failures are more common though with all aluminum engines from the 80s because that metal is more sensitive to temperature extremes.
    Malibu99, you obviously failed to read my entire message. I was simply stating that Chevys of the 80s had a rusting problem in response to your comment of 80s Accords having rust issues that you deemed falling apart. You acted as if Honda is the only car that had rusting problems in the 80s. I was merely showing that Chevy had just as many problems. I am fully aware that just about every car made today is very rust-proof. So why not drop the "holier-than-thou because I drive Chevy's only" attitude and make proper comparisons? Secondly, when I mention squeaks, I tend to include rattles in that classification. Rattles are signs of things not being properly bolted together (this makes since because how can something rattle if its securely bolted in place). I NEVER once said that because a Cavalier squeaks, it is a lousy quality car. It is good basic transportation. I simply stated that squeaks and rattles are signs of poorer build quality when they occur at an early age. I am talking of serious squeaks and rattles of the structure and dashboard, not petty squeaky doors that simply need some lubricant sprayed on them or a rental car that I would expect to squeak based on how poorly they are taken care of. Next time, I suggest actually reading a post before you reply with words I never spoke.
    Intonge 18, I disagree, my 99 Cavalier has an aluminum head. I also have the service manual for the 95 to 00 Cavalier/Sunfire and they talk only of an aluminum head. The manual covers both the 2.2 and 2.4 liter engines. In fact, a lot of space in the service manual is devoted to the head gasket and the precautions one must take in fitting a new gasket to an aluminum head. Another point with aluminum heads is the spark plugs. Never try and remove the spark plugs when the engine is hot. You might strip the threads in the head. Let the engine cool off first. And just because an engine with an aluminum head is fitted with platinum tipped spark plugs which last 100,000 miles doesn't mean you must leave them in for that mileage. At least every 15,000 miles, remove them and, smear some anti-seize compound on the threads and screw them back. If you don't you might have the plugs freeze to the aluminum and you'll damage the head when you try to take them out. This applies to all makes of cars with aluminum heads.
    I have a web link to a page thathas some pics of a Cavalier with the bumpers and door handles painted. I'm not at my own computer today so I can give you the bookmark but I'll get it for you next week. I agree with you, if Chevy made the doorhandles in body color it would look great.
    lngtongue18- Never in my post did I imply that Hondas were the only cars with rust problems back then that brnad poped in to my head because it's the only car I can clearly remember seeing on the road with fenders hanging by a string. I lived in the Carribbean for a while and people there would tie the fenders on with wire because they rusted away. So it was the example that came to mind first. Your post did insinuate that the car was of lousy quality but since now I know what you mean and you know what I meant we can get along and move on. :-).

Good luck Matty, enjoy the car!
  • this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    My wife's 1999 Cavalier started giving a very musty spell when the air conditioner is run for the fist few minutes. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
    this is nascar, I had the same problem for a while but it seems to have passed. I checked if the drain which is located between the firewall and the engine wasn't blocked. If you stand on the passenger side of the car and reach down there, it's an L shaped rubber pipe coming out of the firewall which should be pointing downwards. If it's not pointing down just turn until it is and check for blockage. Mine was ok so what I do now is turn the air-con off and the blower on high a few minutes before I stop. Seems to work.
  • matto2000matto2000 Member Posts: 1
    Matty, please listen to my warning before buying that Cavalier.
    Nearly three years ago, I celebrated my 16th birthday and used my life savings (at the time) to buy my first car, a brand new 1998 cavalier. That may very well have been the worst decision I ever made.
    Within the car's first 4,000 miles, it contracted a very annoying and rather dangerous stalling problem, and just to clarify it's an automatic. Though GM claimed to have fixed the problem, it continued on and off for the next two years. Finally, the whole thing culminated when I was driving home from my college orientation last June. The car not only stalled but died on me in Columbus, OH (about an hour and half drive from my house in Dayton). After having to drive home in a rental car, yet again, and then having to drive an hour and a half back, I was informed the car's entire computer was replaced, in addition to a plethora of other things.
    The stalling problem was not, however, an isolated thing. Other repairs included the muffler, the gaskets, the seatbelts, two recalls, and the radio (twice). I don't believe I'm leaving anything out, but it's difficult to keep track of them all.
    While my Cavalier was a particularly bad one (I can't imagine you'd have that kind of trouble), it's indicative of the type of car the Cavalier is. Every friend I have who owns the 1995- redesigned Cavalier has had some sort of serious problem with their car. The car, for the most part, just isn't reliable. Granted, the car is cute, it lacks substance and build quality. And it doesn't drive badly, but other cars in its class drive much better. If you want to stick with Chevy, check out the Prism, it's not as cute, but a much better driving and more reliable car.
    As for my Cavalier, I traded it in after the last incident, I had had enough and GM was unwilling to even acknowledge the problems. So towards the end of June, I traded in the Cavalier and bought a 2000 Mazda Protege. I couldn't be happier. The car drives very very well and has a nice solid feel to it, as well. I couldn't believe the difference between it and my Cavalier.
    Take it from someone who was your age not too long ago, spend your last few years in high school having fun, not in the repair shop.

-Matt
    I think you are more the exception than the norm. Like I've said before, Cavalier has average reliability and is generally a good car. It's too bad you had a lemon. My neighbor has a 99 Accord and he will tell you over and over how bad Accords are. He got a lemon, cause the Accord is a good car. Just bad luck.
  • sassy10sassy10 Member Posts: 1
    In 1998, I had a base model Toyota Tercel that was totaled in an accident. It was reliable but had no "extra" features so I used the insurance money to buy a 1998 Cavalier Coupe. BIG MISTAKE!!! The car now has all of 27,000 miles on it and it has been to the dealer 3 times in the last 3 months for repairs! The first time, there was a defect in the gas tank so my dash reported over 1/4 a tank of gas but the tank was actually empty. Then at 20,000 miles, the radiator hose sprung a leak, and today, my alternator died! Minor repairs you might say, but lots of aggravation and haggling with GM who did not want to pay for a rental car unless the car actually died and was towed to a dealership. I found this sight today because I am looking at unloading my American lemon and buying Japanese again!
    I agree the alternator should not have gone, but the other two things are pretty minor problems. My neighbor's 99 Accord lost the transmission after 4000 kms. It was in the shop for 2 weeks. Sounds like you have a poor dealership also as most will give you a loaner. If you can, try getting it serviced at a different dealer.
    yea, yea here comes this song again. Hope your new "japanese" car proves to be a good choice because I have heard just as many complaints about the japanese cars, yea yea.
    MAtty, regardless of what people say buy what YOU like, what YOU feel is a good choice. Then again you can go ahead and follow the whiners who complain but keep in mind that the Cavalier is a great car, sells like hotcakes even in it's old age, and most buyers buy another one when they are done with theirs. Either way do what YOU want not what the lemmings do. Good Luck! :-)
    There are a lot of repeat buyers to the Cavalier. I cannot argue with that statement. But, it would be an all-around better car if Chevrolet would improve the workmanship of the vehicle. Also, the Cavalier sells in large numbers because of all the ones sold in fleet sales. Rental car companies buy them. I also know that BGE (Baltimore Gas & Electric) and Baltimore City use them for company cars too. That's why they sell so many.
    Taking away those sales it still sells a hell of a lot. The redesign on the Cavalier is coming in 2 years so hopefully it will improve a lot. The sales figures from autosite.com do not include fleet sales so really that argument doesn't hold, it's just an excuse that import buyers come out with to justify their purchase. But yes I agree the workmanship of the car can improve and I'm sure it will with the re design however Chevy does not pride itself on small cars, it makes excellent full size and midsize cars and trucks. With the average income in the US growing and the economy booming who needs a small car.
    A twenty-something single person with no kids who doesn't want a big behemoth SUV that gets 8 mpg and takes 3 football fields to park. At this time in my life, I see no use for a larger car. I want something better when I get older (I am 22 now), but have no kids and no one to carry around except friends. So why waste money on a larger car for nothing?
    With spiraling gas prices and no need for anything other than a way to get to work and back, I wanted nothing but a small reliable second car. Why waste money on something bigger?
    I commute 100 miles a day back and forth to work. With the rising gas prices, why get a larger car? My 1999 Protege is huge inside, has great handling, is reliable, and comfortable for me and three or four friends if the need arises. Plus, working where parking is tight, its small size helps me in the parking lot and in heavy traffic on the Capital Beltway as well. No need for a larger car.
    I agree, I would never buy a huge SUV anyways but unfortunately America is driven by trends and most people nowadays are steering away from the compacts and getting into big SUVs and cars. Reason why GM postponed the redesign of the Cavalier to focus on its trucks and SUVs. With the successs GM has had with these vehicles it would be great if the same attention these huge cars are getting was given to the rest of the line. However, personally I would not buy a compact car, I love midsize to full size cars. The more steel surrounds me and the farther away from me the door panels are the happier I am. Couldn't be any happier with my midsize Chevy and my fienace just adores the Cavalier, very very happy :-). good luck!
    It's a huge myth that a larger car provides better crash protection. Check out the offset crash tests (http;//www.iihs.org then click on crash tests) and you will see size doesn't matter. Also, I always thought the marketing strategy would be to have a person starting out get a company's entry-level car (Cavalier) and have that person try to be loyal to the brand forever, which means they move up to a Malibu and then perhaps a Monte Carlo or Impala after the kids are grown and gone from home. See my point? If you cannot offer quality at the starting level, why would someone go any further?

Good point: I had a 1996 Cavalier with lots of problems. I will never have another Chevrolet. If that car would have been reliable and a good car, I would have perhaps thought about a Tracker or Monte Carlo or something in the Chevrolet lineup next time. Make sense?
    Pretty much the same reason I will never buy another Honda. If you have a bad experience with a car brand, it's unlikely you will come back for another.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Will be built off the new "Global" GM platform code named "Delta". The car will be a direct spinoff of the all new Opel Astra (GM of Germany)due to debut sometime in 2002 as a 2003 model.

Since GM's greatest weakness is their sub-compact/compact model lines (Exception: Chevy Prizm)and most future GM models in this size range will come from Opel in Europe (Where they have had successful small cars).

Ford followed the same approach of sourcing their newest small car from Europe, the Focus.

Also, Cavalier's sibling, the Pontiac Sunbird will be discontinued after the 2002 model year as well as the Chevy Prizm (Bad move for Chevy). The Toyota Corolla will be re-designed for the 2003 model year and Chevy will not get the newer model. Instead, Pontiac will get an all new entry level hybrid sport wagon that will be built off the platform of the all new 2003 Corolla in an effort to improve Pontiac's current performance/value image in the entry level market. The 2003 Pontiac Sportwagon will be built in the same assembly line as the 2003 Corolla, in the NUMMI Fremmont, California GM/Toyota plant.

The Chevy Metro (a.k.a Suzuki Swift) will be finally discontinued after the year 2001.

So let's wait an see how this all new 2003 Cavalier will fill the 'holes' left off by the Metro and Prizm model lines.

Interesting times at GM....
    Indeed interesting times. I keep hearing a lot about the new GM models that are to be release starting 2001.
    Not sure about the entry level thing keeping a buyer in a car line. Even if that is the case the Cavlier as it is is still an excellent choice for a first time buyer who just wants to get from A to B. I wanted a bit more of a personality so I jumped in the Berreta, best choice I ever made best car next to my Malibu. I take time buying my cars. Took 3 month to decide on the Beretta and 2 for the Malibu. Picked the best ones in the lot and they have never failed. Same with the Cavalier. We test drove 4 of them. Found things here and there that we didn't like until we found a nice white LS with the 2.2 engine and the 4spd tranny. Best little car I have driven. It's fun to drive, cute, easy to wash, simple, user friendly, and has enough passing poser to drive here in Boston. Great little bug. I guess we are just picky when choosing cars and we always get teh best. Good luck! :-)
    You missed the entire point. What I am saying is that no matter how careful you are (and I was), you can still get a lemon. Mine was used and I checked the title and all. It only had 31,051 miles on it when I got it with a totally clean title and only one owner. Little did I know all these problems were going to happen to it.

And if you happen to get a lemon, you are less likely to go back to that particular manufacturer. Your above-stated logic makes no sense to me.
    vocus... I am talking about buying NEW. Buying used yes you can get a lemon no matter how much investigation you do. Used is used. New is diferent. Yes if you get a lemon you are less likely to return to that manufacturer but if you buy it used you can't really blame it on the manufacturer since you will never know how the previous owner treated the car. yes one owner, low miles, clean title but God only knows how they drove the car and if the kept up the maint. very hard to tell. Anyhoo this is getting off topic. good luck!
    Well I decided never to buy a used car again. I had a terrible experience with a Honda Prelude I bought. I don't blame the car but rather the previous owner. No matter how clean the car looks you'll never know how it was treated. That's why I went for the Cavalier. I decided to rather buy a cheap new car than an expensive used car.

I always treat my cars very carefully and service and maintain them myself. I did my first oil and filter change on the Cavalier at 1000 miles. I did 2 more oil and filter changes and at 5000 miles I switched over to Mobil 1 Synthetic. For me the car runs sweetly and is a pleasure to drive. I really believe that it will last me a long time.
    Thanks a lot, you almost caused me to commit suicide!! Just kidding. I feel totally embarrassed about the aluminum head on the 2.2 Cavalier as I pride myself on knowing everything I can about cars. This was one of the few times I posted without looking up the info first, so I learned a lesson. I do not like to be wrong when it comes to cars, but for once, I have to admit I was completely wrong. I don't know what I was thinking. I must have got confused with some truck engine. I also figured that some of the GM pushrod engines were still using an iron head since the old GM four banger was known as the Iron Duke and the engines are far from advanced. Anyway, sorry for my mistake. You can believe I won't let that happen again!