Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The paint is messed up on the sides because of the cheap paint GM and Ford used in the early 90s to finish their cars with. My friend's 1994 Mercury Cougar had the same problem before it was repainted, on the roof, hood, and trunk the paint basically came off. So no matter how good care you take of it, it always seems to mess up and oxidize.
  • 3871338713 Member Posts: 26
    I heard that when the Cavalier is redesigned, there will be no Pontiac Sunfire twin. However, one of the news stories at motortrend.com is a preview of the Chicago Auto Show. It says a 2003 Pontiac Sunfire is going to debut at the show. Does this mean the Cavalier is in its last year of its current form, and the new model may be introduced late this year?
  • devil_tazdevil_taz Member Posts: 21
    is good for people who 1)wants a car to travel from point A to point B (going to the supermarket etc.) and 2) factors in the ownership costs. The VWs/Hondas are nice alternatives but you have to look at the $$$ to own the vehicle (mainly insurance, cost of regular maintenance and repairs).
    The negative thing about this car is the reliability. You'll have a higher chance of getting a lemon (you can thank GM's quality control for that), which would lead to lost of sleep and newfound grey hair.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I will defend Cavalier on that issue. Most magazines have the car rated at average reliability which has been my experience after 2 of them. There are lemons with every brand.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    I started with an 85 and now a 00, so i consider my self an expert on them.Have never left me stranded and very few problems.I do know that you need a loan to buy a part for a Japanese car.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Not true.
  • jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    OK, you may not need a loan, but overall they cost a bunch more. I have a friend who drove (beat the crap out of)cavaliers for 10 years...he bought 2 used ones and never had trouble.

Wasn't there a magazine that used to publish costs to rebuild a car with replacement parts? I remember hearing teasers on the news every year or so that would list the cost for one vehicle as an example.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    it's the 60's and you're trying to get parts for a Subaru 360 if you own an import. Prices are pretty reasonable now for most of the mainstream imports. I'm sure Mercedes and some low production (ie Maserati) are still expensive imports for parts, but getting a part for a Honda or Toyota is hardly bank account busting anymore.
    of a Honda that needed a alternator regulator brush assy and it was $125.That is just one part of many in an alternator.
    Saw in the Chi-town Auto Show news that the 03 Sunfire is getting a makeover (inside and out) and both the Cavalier and Sunfire will get the Ecotec standard next year. Anyone know if the Cavalier is getting a cosmetic makeover also? 03 Sunfire definitely looks better.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Is the 1981 era 2.2 pushrod motor really dying? I know the 03 Sunfire is EcoTec standard, but what about the Cavy? If so, it was a mercy killing!

Also, when will we get the "Delta platform" based Chevy/Pontiacs?
    I read that both cars will get the Ecotec standard next year. The old 2.2L is dead.

No word on a new car, but the Sunfire upgrade list was impressive. I think it's a stop gap until they have a new car in 2 years.
  • iamonyxiamonyx Member Posts: 1
    I recently replaced my two remotes for my 97 Sunfire. I scoured the net looking for instructions to program them with no luck. So I paid the dealer. Here's how they did it. I expect this will also relate to the 97 Cavaliers.

Both remotes must be programmed at the same time. It is possible to program just 1 remote but a second cannot be added later.
    A 2 remote maximum for each vehicle.
    In the trunk over the rear drivers side wheel well is the receiver.
    It has a 2 pin connector wired to it.

1) With a small screw driver or paper clip ground/short these pins together and keep them connected during programming.
    Once grounded, the power locks will cycle lock-unlock. This indicates that the system is in ‘program mode’.

2)On the first remote hold down both the lock and unlock buttons for 15 seconds until the locks cycle lock/unlock. This remote is done.

3)Repeat step #2 for 2nd remote.

4) Remove the screwdriver or paper clip from the 2 pin connector.

5)Test the remotes (be sure not to lock them in the trunk when done).

Hope this helps!
    -Onyx
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    It can pay to back-up "keyless entry devices" with several cheap (Wal-Mart, etc.) keys. I always carry such a spare in my wallet and it has come in handy often!
  • bcsizemobcsizemo Member Posts: 1
    I've read through alot of these posts and have found a really interesting common thread. Most people who say the Cavalier is crap bought a used one.... I own a 96 2.2L Coupe, 4 speed auto from day one. I drive it hard, and I treat it right. If something is leaking I fix it. I don't consider a valve cover gasket leak a defect. I mean it's a piece of rubber. That's like saying in 30 years the faucets in your house are never going to leak.
    I don't particulary care much about all these whiny people saying buy a Honda/Toyota. I like use to like Toyotas, now they are just getting cheap. A Honda is going to last you just as long as a Chevy. My girlfriends 91 Honda Accord LX with 70k on it burns oil and runs rough. And it was USED. My 96 Cavalier with 75k on it runs a little rough and doesn't burn any oil. A car will last you as long as you take care of it. And I don't know where all these 200k mile Hondas are. They don't exsit in North Carolina. You see lots of 94+ Hondas, a few early ones. But you see tons of late 80's Chevys (Cavalier's and Beretta's). People seem to think a used car is a great buy, why? Cause it's cheap? Cause you run the risk of buying something someone else has severly neglected? Cause it has a good chance of turning into a nightmare?
    I'm not going to call the Cavalier a great car. But I can say I love mine. Even if it goes up in a ball of fire and smoke, I'd still love it. And what is this about being loud? (Well I guess the modified air intake on mine isn't helping any) I love the way it sounds (wish it sounded more like the old Beretta's). It has it's fair share of problems. My favorite the intermitent power loss/skipping. It's like it is loosing a fuel injector or something. It has low power somedays and occasionaly it studders and skips real bad. If anyone knows what that is let me know. And the dash rattle, you could try removing the central air vent, and tightening down the two screws there, it might help.

Brian

BTW, I know the EGR, IAC, and most simple things are not wrong with the engine. It is something more complex, or a system of complex stuff. My feeling is the problem stems from a poor fuel pump or a bad computer (have had the abs/trac system disable it's self 3 times)
  • klohiqklohiq Member Posts: 1
    I think your problem lies in the spark plug wires and possibly the spark plugs themselves. I had the same problem (if I get what you mean) on my Cavalier. I have a 98 Cavalier 5-speed with almost 200k miles on it. Before replacing these wires and plugs I had never replaced them since I got the car; how's that for reliability? I love the car and hope to give it a body kit and some performance mods soon.
  • dweezildweezil Member Posts: 271
    expect to be attacked for even mentioning perfomance mods and body kits!!!!
    The problem with this board is that too many people want to post misinformation about these cars because they think their own choices are superior to yours.
    The only remaining part of the 81 Cavalier is the COWL as has been reported in a previous post. The Cavalier became based on the N platform in 94, The same base as the Skylark, Grand Am etc.I have seen this same ignorant claim several times on this board.The last 81 based Cavalier was the 88 to 94 version.
    BTW,comparing a Golf to a Cavalier is laughable. No one in their right mind shops both those vehicles. By the time you'd add CD,air,
    ABS auto etc. the VW is in the 18-20,000 range.With the exception of the automatic all the items mentioned are standard on the Cavalier and would be 3 to 5000 less and more with the 2002 rebate.Why not compare to the Mercedes Hatch, then? Why even post such an absurd comparison???
    Klohiq, enjoy your Cavalier. Have you checked Canuk's Cavalier Club on Yahoo??? Very enthusiastic [and informed ] members.
    Bcsizemo: I'm with you.Unlike many detractors, I actually OWN a Cavalier, a 99 2.2 with the 4 speed auto. Great mileage, with 27,000 miles, the engine keeps getting smoother and has a pleasant sound. Hitting the on ramp I'm already up to speed by the time I hit the lane, so power is not a concern.May trade for the 4door 4speed auto. w/EcoTech.Haven't had any problems , no rubber timing belt to change at $200 to $300, plus replacement of the water pump ["just in case,while we're in there"]at 60,000 miles.An honest vehicle. I like the fact that the 95 looks pretty much like the 2002 also. It's a good design and has worn well. Not something you can say about a lot of GM's newer designs.
    Accident investigators claim the insurance institute test "results" are meaningless. These are the true experts as they study actual accidents. What you get in a laboratory situation will never be recreated on the road in a million years as each incident has it's own dynamics, so to shriek "death trap" and "the crash ratings say" only marks one as being unable to absorb data with anything close to critical thought.
    There's nothing wrong with these cars.Their purpose has been consistent all these years: a lot of value for a fair price.And with additional rebates??? That's some sort of indicator that they're unsalable??? What sort of logic is THAT??? ALL of the automakers are doing rebates!I can go out today and get a Mitsubishi with no down,no payments for a year. Using the same lack of logic that I have been exposed to here, that would mean Mitsubishi makes a POS????????
    They said in their April auto issue that the Cavalier's reliablility has improved to average. Figures, GM just gets the car right and it's going to change platforms in about a year! :)
  • rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    I picked up a 2002 LS sedan with the Ecotech engine. It's silver with chrome wheels. It stickered at $17,875. After the rebate, GM discount and $500 dealer incentive they passed on to me I got over $4100 off sticker plus I got the 5.9% financing. To me that's a great deal for a car w/ traction control, abs, auto. power windows, locks, alarm, remote entry, rds radio w/ cd and cassette. It was too hard to pass on. I had a 96 Z24 coupe w/ 100,000 miles on it and it ran great, I was just ready for something newer.

Now although I think it was a great deal ther are a few issues with it: seat is not the most comfortable. I 'adjusted' it to allow more leg room. Also, they moved the radio above the heater controls but they moved them too far back and now you have to lean forward and around the shift knob to get to them. That means I have to take my eyes off the road. It was better the other way imo.
  • dweezildweezil Member Posts: 271
    LS 4 door: 4speed auto. spoiler, power everything $13,999. This is one of the LA dealers in the valley. Brand new.
    ..are going pretty cheap these days. They would be one of the better values if the interior trim was a little better. Of course, they would probably be more expensive then...
    "The Cavalier became based on the N platform in 94, The same base as the Skylark, Grand Am etc"

Absolutely false!

The current Cavalier/Sunfire are still J-BODY cars! The basic architecture of the J-Body car dates all the way back to the early 1980's! Is not just the COWL, is the whole entire UNDERPINNINGS! Who are you trying to fool, yourself?????

The only cars being currently manufactured in the lousy N-Body platform are the Malibu, Grand AM and Alero.

Please get your facts straight.
    is a good price for an LS,i bought a new oo loaded LS for $11700 and my 94 Cav with 120K.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I think N body suspensions are far different than j-body. GM did a pretty good job making a silk purse out of a sow's ear in '95. I still think the Cav is a nice looking car. I have one with 75K and it's been pretty reliable. However after driving my Elantra for a few hundred miles, I found out crudeness in the Cav. that I didn't know existed. It will suffer greatly in comparison to any modern car and is far cruder, for example than my daughter's 1990 Prizm. It is less pleasant than my other daughter's 1993 Topaz, and that was replaced by a car that was replaced by a small SUV. The Cav. is several generations behind the competition-- time for Mr. Lutz to move on.
  • uhlhockeyuhlhockey Member Posts: 7
    I have a 96 2.2 4 door and have a loud thud, clunking noise, seems to be close to the firewall as the noise seems to come from back part of engine and down by your feet. After 3 places, I have had the lower control arm bushings replaced and the front right lower motor mount replaced, new brakes and the exact same noise, clunk as before. The clink doesn't necessarily happen going over a bump, it does it upon deacelleration and acceleration after a stop...any ideas??? Thanks.
    CV joints?
  • hoyahenryhoyahenry Member Posts: 399
    I have a 97 2.2 4 dr and something is making a dull thudding noise in the rear. I have eliminated everything except the fuel fill and shocks. It's not the spare, or anything in there - took it all out. It doesn't appear to be the folding seat or the speakers or the trunk lid. The original muffler is mounted properly on the rubber mounts.

So, could the shocks be loose. Considering it is the lighest part of the car, I expect it to bounce around a bit, but I really wish I could figure it out. It's like a wobbling noise, like someone is bouncing 25lb rocks in the trunk, very hollow. More noticeable at 15-25mph since the engine and road noise at higher speeds cancel it out.

I would appreciate any insight besides trading it in for something better. I got that possibility figured out.
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    It could be a loose brake pad in one of the drums or the ABS. I had a similar issue with my Beretta, turns out they needed to clean teh rear drums out and sand them, noise was gone. Hope that helps.
    If it's what I had on my 96 Z24 it is the rear shocks. If your 2.2 has the same shocks it's going to be costly. Over $400 because they are struts. It was even hard to find someone to find the parts believe it or not. Had it done at Belle Tire and it cost about the same as the dealer wanted.
    Replace the rear strut mounts,they get beaten out and needs replacing.May be a dealer item.
    relatively cheap to fix because it's so crude. $400 for rear shocks seems extreme. Purchases on similar (low tech) vehicles from places like Midas and Car-X have been much less. Is this a common experience? My wife's Cav. is pushing 80,000 miles.
    I appreciate the responses. While I'm no brake expert, I did pull the drums and everything looked normal enough.

It's about time for the 5 year service, so I think I'll add the rear _struts_ to the list. <42,000mi seems low for replacing those, but it will be worth it if it eliminates the issue.
    Keep in mind that they are not shocks in the rear, they are struts. That makes a big difference.
    think I used Meineke, Midas or Car-X. Just don't remember them being anywhere that expensive.
    The $15 mounts are cheaper.
  • peachyfrogpeachyfrog Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 97 4 door (not sure what the engine is, probably 2.2 or whatever) sedan and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me just in general if I got a good car or not. I was sick of cars that nickeled and dimed me to death with parts and breakdowns and I'm hoping this one won't do that. It's got 86,000 miles on it and everything about it seems to be immaculate. Let me know what I should be expecting with this car so I know how soon I need to pay it off so I can trade it in for something else!
    Good:
    1. Cheap car, cheap parts.
    2. Anyone can fix them.
    3. Have pretty good 4 speed auto. transmission-- three speed sucks.
    4. Has traction control and antilock brakes w. four speed trans.
    5. A pretty car IMHO.
    6. Doesn't hold value well, so you shouldn't have paid much for it.
    7. If you have an LS the BFG tires are pretty good.

Bad:
    1. Uncomfortable compared with other cars.
    2. Moaning 2.2 rental car engine, or expensive to fix 2.4 engine.
    3. Rude and crude.
    4. Hard to see out of-- sitting in a tub.
    5. Look out for head gasket problems with 2.2.
    Referencing good pt #6 in csandste post, can you ballpark what you paid, peachyfrog? Just curious. Hopefully the 5 year service was performed? Recommend you double check the serpentine drive belt - quite critical. I agree with the other points in the good list.

As for csandste's bad points, I only agree with point 2 about the 2.2. My wife bought a 92 2.2VL that had the same engine. I just gave it to the Salvation Army even though it still started up as well as the day she bought it - 10 years and 126K mi later and no gasket problems. Actually, the only major repairs were alternator and clutch. Except for brakes, suspension and cooling flushes, I did all of the preventative maintenance.

I think bad point 2 may be more in reference to a 2 door. I have a 2.2 4dr LS. It's basic, reliable transportation, and it can go distances when needed; I've done 12 hour trips from DC to MI and comfort was fine.

Only other bad point is front brakes - I think it is generally accepted here that the rotors are inadequate. I've had these turned once under warranty and now have to have them replaced.
    You know, the old 2.2L isn't all that bad. I tested a 1.8L Matrix and Vibe and that engine is a lot louder than the 2.2L under hard acceleration. The 02 Cavaliers also have a Ecotec option now and that is a very good engine, one of the best out there IMO.
  • mtnbiker3mtnbiker3 Member Posts: 8
    We have a 97 LS (wife's car)bought new with right about 50K on it now. I'd agree for the most part with csandste's summary. I really don't care much for the car (ok, I hate it)- very crude, sounds like it's rattling apart even on smooth roads, so forth and so on - but as basic transportation for her to go 10 minutes from home to school & home to the grocery, it's adequate. Especially since all she looks for in a car is that it starts when she turns the key:) The only real problems we've had are with the front brakes and the water pump needing replaced about a month after the warranty expired - dealer/GM paid a little more than half of that repair. The one thing I do like is the acceleration of the 2.4L engine mated to the 4 spd auto - it gets up and goes. We drove a non-LS with the 2.2 and 3 spd auto and I just didn't think I could live with it.

All that said, we do have a strange problem that I wanted to ask the folks on this board about. At certain times the gas pedal gets very...uh...sticky, I guess. You have to punch through to get the accelerator moving. Once it's through that initial stickiness, it's fine, but as soon as I brake and then go back to the accelerator, it's "stuck" again. It's been happening for quite a while now, but we've just sort of lived with it, seeing it as pretty much par for the course, if you will. It doesn't happen all the time, and I've noticed it seems to be worse the warmer and/or the more humid it is. It's really getting to be a pain, especially in parking lots and the such, to have to gun the damn thing just to get going, and probably not all that safe, either. Any idea on this? Anyone have the same problem with their Cavalier? I suspect some sort of carbon build up or the such with the throttle cables/linkage. Dealer service didn't seem to have a clue, suggesting a fuel system additive that didn't make a difference. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
  • jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    I had a similar problem with the clutch on my 2002 Alero. Turned out it was the floor mat carpet catching on the arm of the pedal. The carpet was pushed too far forward.

It really felt like something was wrong with the clutch linkage itself...and was driving me crazy for a few minutes.

I felt silly, but relieved to find it was such a simple situation.
  • mtnbiker3mtnbiker3 Member Posts: 8
    ...for the idea, but already eliminated that possibility. Anyone else?
    I think you have a 2.4, but on the 2.2 the throttle cable is attached to a housing that protects the attachment point, which is a grooved pulley. The cable slides to the left off the housing. I had inadvertently moved the throttle cable leftward such that the cable was off-center from the pulley. This created a similar sensation to a sticky pedal.
    Wonder what they will do to the Cavalier for 03.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/previews/03sunfire.htm

Yuck!

Lutz, bring the Opel Astra, PLEASE!!!!!!!!
    I think it is a huge improvement over the 02.

We ALL know you like the euro cars teo. You should just buy a Focus, they are European.
    "We ALL know you like the euro cars teo. You should just buy a Focus, they are European."

Take a chill pill dude...why should I??

I don't like the Ford Focus. This '03 Sunfire is hideous looking. Another attempt to patch up an ANTIQUE until it gets discontinued or replaced with a worthy vehicle.

Bring the Opels over here. I want Opels and Holdens to be offered in GM's line-up.

Man, you are tooo North American at heart...that's very good, but recognize that these ancient GM models are way past their prime time and need to go!
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Teo forgets his Impala is just as ancient and is nothing more than a re skinned Lumina. Good to bring a few models to the US but we still need that North American touch to the cars. Ignore this dude dindak, unless you worship ancient Luminas, i mean, impalas, he wont like you.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We've established that teo finds that the '03 Sunfire coupe, mmm how shall we put this ... is not attractive to him.

Meanwhile, I think we were talking about the Cavalier?

:-)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    pat : Too funny.

teo : I like some European cars, but mostly high end ones. European small cars have never turned me on in any way. Hopefully the next gen Cavalier will be better than the Focus.