Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• countrylawyercountrylawyer Member Posts: 11
    I'm posting this on behalf of my father, who's driven Townies since 1990 (he floated his '90 into a wall @ 60 m.p.h., then bounced back into traffic, where he was immediately struck broadside by a Suburban, crushing the driver's door in to the centerline, spinning him around so the same truck could pop the passenger door, ripping it completely off the car and sending what was left of father and car rear-end first into the same concrete dividing wall . . . they quit counting fractures in his chest at 17, but he lived . . . the woman still drives a Suburban, I've since noted).
    He's looking to replace his '98 TC at the end of lease, and two questions have come up regarding the engine block heater option:
    1. Just how exactly does the thing work and what does it do; and,
    2. Would anyone in his right mind who lives in Tennessee ever actually need/order one (I should add that this car will spend its life under a carport, and hence effectively outside)?
    Info/opinions welcome.
  • eweygrineweygrin Member Posts: 33
    The engine block heater is more trouble than it is worth. Basically you plug in engine block heater into electric outlet. It keeps engine oil warm so that when you start the car in cold weather the oil is thinner and begins lubricating the pistons quicker. Factory claims this option helps with extending engine life. I understand that the only people who buy it live in really cold regions. I personally do not think that it is necessary.
  • clocks1clocks1 Member Posts: 1
    I am no mechanic, but I have had block heaters on my vehicles that sit out as our winters have a lot of days under 10 deg. If I lived in TN I would forget it as they generally don't kick on (going from memory) unless the temperature is under 30 deg anyway.
    For what it is worth.
  • trainiactrainiac Member Posts: 24
    Although my 88 Lincoln Towncar has a different drivetrain and suspension than the one you have, I must say that there is no better ride for the money. Reliability? Approaching 250K and the only major problem was transmission OD(188K)- $1000.00 and retrofit to 134A AC system, $450.00. Of course tires, brakes and the rest of the usual maintainance is needed. Go and test drive some of the new cars, get back in your Lincoln and you'll think you're in heaven! Bottom line? Don't worry about it!
  • kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    to pay the price of a T/C that has the same engine as in the Ford CV? Should not Lincoln have a Lincoln engine? The 200 hp 4.6 Lincoln engine is in competition with the 300 hp 4.6 Cadillac. Lincoln, prior to '91 had the same 302 c.i. V8 as in the Fords as well. It's amazing how buyers of luxury cars don't care whether or not their automobile has what engine. Do you seeChev engines in Cads? I don't think so.
  • gkarggkarg Member Posts: 230
    That 4.6 liter engine was designed for and primarily used in the Town Car in 1991 and did not make it into Crown Vics and Grand Marquis' until 1992. They are essentially the same cars...

I think its only been in the last few years that Lincoln started labeling engines exclusive to their cars. IE the Continental's 4.6 DOHC.

My 1994 Continental has the exact same 3.8 liter engine as the Tauruses and Sables. Is that appropriate? Oh well, beside the head gasket going (covered by Lincoln ~ Thanks)...it is a fantastic car.
  • millie4millie4 Member Posts: 2
    Kinley, I think sometimes the view is that Town Car buyers care more about remote keyless entry and extra storage space, rather than engine. Are you a Town Car buyer? If so, do you think that upgrading the engine would entice non-traditional Town Car buyers?
    my wife & I have a 94 T/C & a 95 T Bird and the same engine is in both. The T/C has 80,000 miles on it while the T Bird has 33,000 miles. If I could buy a new Signature Touring with the Mark VIII engine, 295 hp, DOHC - I would buy it. Having heard about the Mercury Marauder coming in 01, I'm waiting for it. It is my understanding it has the 300 hp dohc engine in a 4 door Touring Grand Marquis. Upgrading the engine would lower the average age of the T/C buyer. Affluence at any age begets comfort. Look at the Cad DTS. It doesn't have a Chevy engine in it.
  • millie4millie4 Member Posts: 2
    Since you would purchase the Marquis over a Town Car, due to the special engine, you are most interested in performance rather than the other gadgets and amenities that are on a Town Car? To many Town Car buyers horsepower is not a priority -- therefore, maybe it should be offered as an option, or as you mentioned, as part of the Touring Sedan package in order to attract a slightly different customer. I don't think the Town Car is meant to be "sporty" though, which the Marauder seems to definitely be aiming towards. The Marauder strikes me as the Comfort/Luxury Tim Taylor buyer.
    Another important reason for wanting more performance is that I tow a 17' V8 SeaRay (2560 lbs) on an EZ Loader single axle trailer, (750 lbs). Our Lincolns have towed the SeaRay from Shasta to Shuswap & all lakes & rivers in between.The lst Lincoln was an 80 w 351 c.i. and it performed until a heart attack driver drove into it in a parking lot. The '82 w 302 c.i. struggled to tow the boat, however the 94 is much improved over the '82. Yet, why should King Customer accept a Ford engine when paying the price of a Lincoln? Re: the Merc Maurader - Please share your knowledge of this forthcoming vehicle and are you an employee of L/M? Thank you
  • HacksawHacksaw Member Posts: 29
    I heard it will have a turbocharged 4.6 SOHC engine, not the DOHC 4.6. I hope this thing becomes a reality. Check out these links for more info:

www.mercuryvehicles.com -> Site Index -> Marauder

www.blueovalnews.com/upcoming_vehicles.htm
  • ga_boyga_boy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 towncar with 127,000 miles. It runs strong but I have a problem with oil leak. I have had a local shop replace the oil pan and rear eng seal, valve cover gasket, and intake gasket. Replace PCV filter and gromet. Everything looks good excepts it still leaks oil. The shop says the crankcase pressure is too great and is coming out of pcv. Their solution is to replace engine or live with the oil leak. I can't believe I need a new engine when it runs strong and gets 21 mpg. Any suggestions ?
  • erharderhard Member Posts: 2
    Bought 99 town car sig. sales person said this vehicle has a different rear end ratio than the exc. Not wanting to display my ignorence I did't it . What was he talking about? Please explain the advantages !!
  • erharderhard Member Posts: 2
    Bought 99 town car sig. sales person said this vehicle has a different rear end ratio than the exc. Not wanting to display my ignorence I did't it . What was he talking about? Please explain the advantages !!
    check the seal around the oil pressure sending unit. it could be crystalized and leaking.
  • 426b426b Member Posts: 3
    IS THERE ANY TALK ABOUT ADDING POWER PEDELS TO THE 2000 TOWNCAR?
    That only 200 hp sled needs all the help it can get.
  • justiceisdeadjusticeisdead Member Posts: 10
    Believe it or not, between 1994 and 1996, a certain Cadillac did have a Chevrolet engine. The Fleetwood and Fleetwood Brougham to be exact, and the engine was Chevy's 350 c.i. LT1. The small block moved these cars from 0-60 in 8 seconds, and generated 260 h.p. and 330 ft/lbs of torque. That's pretty respectable for a big 4,500 pound sedan...

Anyhow, I just wanted to correct you on that little misconception. I also fail to realize why you're complaining about the lack of performance in Lincoln Town Cars. I remember when I used to drive my dad's 1990 Town Car. The car lagged horribly when I went up hills, and I had to mash the gas pedal to avoid making enemies in back of me... Even so, I realized that this wasn't a car made for performance freaks and hot rodders. It was made for a smooth, quiet ride with equally quiet and refined power delivery. IMHO, the 210 h.p. and 275 ft/lbs of torque generated by the SOHC 4.6 liter engines in the '94-'96 TCs was more than sufficient power for these big 4,000 pound cars.

I also fail to realize why you're whining about "paying a Lincoln price for a Ford motor." The 4.6 liter modular V8 is a bulletproof engine whose reliability and dependability have been proven time and time again by law enforcement, so I suggest you not go knocking the so-called "cheap" Ford motor. If you insist upon blistering performance in a big luxury sedan, get a Mercedes-Benz S500. Otherwise, quit belly-aching about the already perfect engineering of Town Cars.

Personally, I kinda miss driving the Town Car... It always rode smooth as glass even on the bumpiest roads... In contrast, there's more road noise and wallowing over bumps in my Caddy than I care to put up with day in and day out. I think it may be time for new shocks, a new steering dampener, and maybe an inspection of the rear air suspension...
    Whe one observes the engine of the MarkVIII & drives the Mark after driving the 94 T/C, the Tim Taylor in me is frustrated. Our 95 T.Bird has the same engine as in the 94 T/C and I still know a manufacturer should not get away with mediocrity in a luxury car. Remember to refer to the powerplants as "engines" for they are driven by fuel. "Motors" are powered by electricity.
    Sometimes I confuse the two terms. Don't mind me. :-)

Like I said, if you're looking for Mark VIII or Thunderbird performance in a big sedan, get a Mercedes-Benz S500, or even a used S600, and leave the Town Car to more mature drivers who don't care about tire-spinning performance that throws you back in your seat. 99.9% Town Car owners buy this car for its ride rather than its driving "qualities".

And I still disagree with you about expecting a Town Car to perform like it was a Ferrari. These cars and their engines are made for a smooth and quiet ride and tuned for more sophisticated power delivery. You really shouldn't be driving a Town Car if you're expecting this much from a car that was never made to do what you want it to do.
    '80 T/C had a 351 engine and it would perform. It was totaled in a parking lot accident and replaced by an 82 with the 302 engine. I had a class III hitch installed on the 82 and it was a struggle to drag a 3,500 boat/trlr. In 94 we bot our present T/C and it has a hitch dragging the same boat. 300 h.p. engine would be appreciated. Most T/C drivers don't pull anything or climb any mountains, but where we live, the mountains are a fact. A truck you say? No trucks thank you. So, you are right I'm expecting too much from the T/C, but I 've always had high expectations. The 00 Cad DTS is inviting.
    Here, I was thinking that you were dissatisfied with the way the Town Car performs when it's not towing something. Sorry about that. :-(

I don't know if you like GM cars, but the '93-'96 Fleetwood Broughams with the trailer towing package could tow up to 7,000 pounds with no problem. The '93 models had the old 350 c.i. TBI Brougham engine (185 h.p.), whereas the '94-'96 had the SPFI LT1 engine with 260 h.p. and 330 ft/lbs of torque. On an additional note, the rear axle ratio on Fleetwoods with the trailer towing package are 3.42:1. You might want to check out the used car market for one, but good luck if you do... Finding them is like trying to find a virgin in a maternity ward.

I too live in a mountainous area, and I know very well how bad Town Cars lag when going up hills. If people were in back of me, I had to really mash the gas pedal on my dad's '90 TC to keep the car going at a decent speed, so I won't argue with you there. Ironically, my Fleetwood has no problem going up hills, since the engine has enough "oomph" to move the behemoth up steep grades with hardly any fuss or muss. I wish I could say its ride on bumpy roads was comparable to a Town Car's...

As for the '00 DTS, well... I don't think FWD could ever be as suited for towing as RWD. It may be worth a try, though.
    I will take a little less horsepower and stick with a proven engine and the luxurious ride that my 98 TC signature series with touring sedan package offers. At least I know that the engine is reliable and parts are readily available.
  • osiris6128osiris6128 Member Posts: 1
    I own an 88 TC and am looking for parts for it and was wondering if anyone knew whether the 89 TC's parts are interchangeable with the 88's?
    I'm willing to bet the parts are interchangeable. Probably depends....but I recently borrowed an altenator from a 1986 Mercury Cougar v8 for a 1990 Ford F-150 V8. One never knows!!!
  • tomsrivtomsriv Member Posts: 2
    The lower 3.55 (numerically higher) gear ratio in the signature will give better performance but slightly less fuel economy. Gear ratio is the amount of turns of the driveshaft compared to the amount of turns of the wheel. A lower gear ratio means that more torque is transmitted to the ground. It is just like low gear on a ten speed bike, in low gear you can climb a steep incline, but you have to pedel much faster. A lower gear ratio has the same affect. This means that you will turn higher RPMs cruising down the highway, but you will have better acceleration and towing abilities. The higher cruising RPM will hurt fuel economy.
  • tomsrivtomsriv Member Posts: 2
    I like the front and rear end of the Town Car. It looks like a total gangster ride. I'm only 22 and if I were to buy a new car the TC would be the only car I would want. I would get a black Signature Touring model. Since it has an engine similar to the Mustang I assume that it could be hopped up using similar methods, like SUPERCHARGING!!! How cool would that be.
    It's too bad they don't make them like they used to. My 455 powered '71 Buick Riviera will school many a modern "sports" car.
  • misterpaulsonmisterpaulson Member Posts: 2
    I have a little experience with my Grandfather's 86 TC and my Boss's 2000 TC. The 86 is a good old-fashioned American luxury car, certainly nothing to complain about for its day. I am very impressed with the comfort and performance of the new TC. If anyone has a serious complaint with the performance of this car, then stop shopping for a luxury car and go get the sports car you know you want.
  • misterpaulsonmisterpaulson Member Posts: 2
    I have a little experience with my Grandfather's 86 TC and my Boss's 2000 TC. The 86 is a good old-fashioned American luxury car, certainly nothing to complain about for its day. I am very impressed with the comfort and performance of the new TC. If anyone has a serious complaint with the performance of this car, then stop shopping for a luxury car and go get the sports car you know you want.
    You said it all, misterpaulson. A t/c does what it is intended for - provide a roomy, luxurious ride in an elegant looking package.
  • craible625craible625 Member Posts: 1
    Had new platinum plugs and new wires installed last week and tightened all air hoses. Car stalls at lights and misses while driving slow. Didn't have problem before work was performed. Any suggestions as to a way to cure problem? Could fuel injectors be a problem? Mileage -127,000.
    Sounds like they possibly mixed up a couple of the wires. I've done my own plug and wire changes in the past and that could be possible....especially if it ran fine before!
  • fourbarofourbaro Member Posts: 2
    I have a new 2000Lincoln Town Car Signature Series which I chose after a lot of research. Never did I find any info relating to the problem I am having. The car now has 3800 miles and the problem is:

A vibration in the right seat front and back which I thought was a need for the tires to be balanced. Hasn't helped. Then I thought alignment. Hasn't helped. I thought maybe tire not true but am told that has been checked.

In addition, it feels like the right front tire is bumping and I can feel it in the steering wheel although the dealer can't.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    My guess would be to check the brake disks.
  • sailordon1sailordon1 Member Posts: 1
    With 12,000 miles on my 1999 Lincoln Towncar (Signature w/touring package)and as a previous owner of 1990 and 1995 TCs, my comments are:
    1. great handling (slightly harsh for Towncar)
    2. nice interior (Alpine radio/cd very good)
    3. fantastic paint job
    4. responsive (but noisy) engine (18-21 mpg)
    5. very poor door stops...will not stay open
    6. ineffective cup holders...cups will turn over
    7. miss the auto closing trunk lid

Thanks for listening....
    Don
  • brooksw1brooksw1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 t/c and am extremely disappointed in the front seat roominess, especially the front right seat. Embarrssingly had to seat a valuable 6'3"" client in the back for his own comfort. Have been told that front seat would have to be "handicap equipted" in order to extend the seat. What's this all about....I thought the t/c was the biggest and most spacious thing before going to limos etc.!Also miss the automatic trunk closure as in my 97 cartier. brooksw1
  • wwilberwwilber Member Posts: 4
    Bought new. I admit it was a dumb move. The front seat is very uncomfortable and the power controls do not adjust adequately. I'm 5'8", 170 lbs. so its not me but Lincoln. No outside combo lock. gas mileage only 18.5 at its best. No power. I complained about the transmission but the problem is without power 3rd gear just lags. Stabilizer bar went at 40,000. I had had a steering problem and dealer convinced me to buy new front tires, align the car and balance all wheels (cost $350.00) then it was discovered by me that the stabilizer bar was worn. The new tires etc. had done nothing for the car. New stabilizer bar corrected the problem but I'm out $350.00. As far as I am concerned Ford has abandoned Lincoln and is spending all its time on Jaguar which also has a lousy front seat. I tried out the new LS 6 cylinder. A joke. Absolutely no power and steering is terrible (wheel does not return when going around a corner). My best car was a 1986 lincoln. I had a 1993 lincoln that at least had power and a better transmission as well as better trunk space. Ford was the car of the '80's but is rapidly going downhill in the '90's. Cadillac and buick are much better. I was recently shopping for a new pickup truck and considered ford but I bought a new GMC with 280 hp. This truck moves and gets 18mpg with 4 wheel drive. Ford cannot even come close. Too bad because in the past I always swore I would never buy another GM product. I think Ford must have hired some of the GM idiots and GM has hired the smart Ford people.
  • wwilberwwilber Member Posts: 4
    If you have a vibration and do not know where it is coming from I suggest that youmake sure the front stabilizer bar is OK. This is in response to Fourboro's problem. Don't let the dealer tell you its tires, alignment etc. Also look at the 16 pages of defects investigation.
  • vjsvjs Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 Cartier and have been looking for a newer model. I enjoyed the ride and performance of the TC. I bought the car because when I took it on a trip I didn't want to get out of it. Unlike the "performance" cars that I have had over the years that handled well if I wanted to drive in the Grand Prix, but were hard to ride in for any length of time. The Town Car is one that when I am on a trip, I don't want to get out of. When I arrive, I am refreshed and comfortable.

However, the body design of the TC is the worst I have ever seen. It reminds me of the Hudson's and Nashes of the 40's and 50's. An upside down bathtub. The only thing they forgot was the drain! Lincoln/Ford should fire the whole design and Marketing crew.
  • vjsvjs Member Posts: 2
    Correction to my last message. The design of the NEW (1999-2000) TC is the worst I have seen in many years. It has absolutely NO class.
    my 94 TC Signature Touring is still in our garage. When the Mercury Marauder is produced, I will buy it to replace our 94 TC. Check it out.
  • marquisbroughamarquisbrougha Member Posts: 4
    I own a 97 Executive and bought it because I prefer a large, American style luxury car. The 97 has fantastic styling, traditional yet contemporary. When that body style came out in '90 it had sort of a "pieced together" look. The chrome trim had lots of seams. The headlamps were too big and square. The whitewalls were to wide. By 97 the car still had lot's of chrome (I love chrome) but the chrome "fit". It nicely accentuated the style, it was well designed. It had a smooth, integrated-into-the-overall-package look that the 90's did not have. The grille had a nicer shape and the headlights were narrower with a nice chrome bezel. The whitewalls were a nice, modern pin-stripe that set off the wheels very nicely (the 90 used 1965-style wws).

The 2000 Town Car is simply not a Town Car anymore! After years of evolving an elegant, distinctively all-American "Lincoln" look they abandon success for this!!!! The grille looks like a cowcatcher! The headlamps look like cat's eyes. And the chrome (what little there is)is applied in random bits and pieces with no apparent relationship to the styling! Oh, and yes, the tail lamps have no bezel but the license-plate box has the giant glob of chrome. And the blackwall tires, every car has to have blackwall tires nowadays. What is wrong with that subtle white pinstripe the 97's have.

If I wanted a car that looked like a Bimmer, M-B or Lexus I would have bought one! What happens in 2001 when it is time to trade? Hopefully Lincoln will go back to building Lincolns. A car can: 1- look traditionally American, and 2- perform well, one does not negate the other!

Maybe the Continental wouldn't be such a sales dog if it, too, looked like a Lincoln!
  • kenbob1kenbob1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm shopping for a used Town Car and have narrowed my search to 2 candidates. The first is a 92 with 63,000 miles at a dealer asking $8995. The second is an '89 with 120,000 at a differnt dealer asking $4200.

Both cars are in beautiful shape, clean and obviously well cared for.

Is the 92 far superior technologically and worth twice the '89s price?

Is the 5 liter engine basically the same 302 For has been building for 35 years?

I'm looking for comfort, reliability, and affordability. Any info on these cars would be much appreciated.
    Having put 125,000 on an 82 Lincoln 302, since new, and 80,000 on a 94 Lincoln 4.6L, since new - I would not hesitate to buy the 92. The 302 labored up hills a lot more than the 4.6 and the 4.6 is a lot quieter. The body design is an improvement, however, the interior quality of the 82 was superior to the leather in the 94. Both have a smooth ride, but the later model is much faster with quietness. Hope this helps.
    If you choose the 89, remove the 20 second delay valve between the carb port and the vacuum advance by installing a new hose without the valve running direct from the vacuum advance to the carb port. Makes a big difference off the line. Because I've never seen a hearse with a luggage rack, go for the 92.
    that advice applies to a different previous car I owned, (73 Ford 400 V8)
  • kcherrykcherry Member Posts: 1
    I have never owned a Lincoln period. I was wondering if any one could comment concerning the 2000 Executive model? Likes, Dislikes etc...Potential problems possibly
    thanks
    it is the best buy under $30,000,yet how much less is a Grand Marquis LS with same equipment?
  • cobra410cobra410 Member Posts: 1
    Hello fourbaro, sorry to hear about your problem,
    I had the same problem with our 1997 town car,
    changed tires, front end aligned, but my son said it could be the drive shaft, so he checked the
    universal joints, and that was it, we no longer have the vibration.I hope this helps you.
  • cbrookcbrook Member Posts: 1
    The headliner has separated from it's backing over the rear window.I tried spray adhesive in one spot before doing the rest and it bled through.Has anyone any ideas short of replacing the whole headliner. The inside of the car is like new and it is a shame to mark up the headliner with glue.Other than this problem the car is a joy to drive.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.