Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• bdagobdago Member Posts: 2
    hi, i own a 1995 lincoln. I'm trying to hook up a RF module cd changer, yet i need to find myself a key on hot, and constant hot in the trunk. Can i splice these into the wires leading into the factory amp, and if so, which colors would those be. And if not, is there anyplace else to find these two wirings????
  • davemd80davemd80 Member Posts: 2
    ">to this site. My name is Dave and have purchased an '01 town car. She's a one owner 41,000 mile well kept car. While going through routine maintenance items I came across a sticker one the transmission referencing tsb 00-16. Anyone have info on this? I've searched many forums and web searches and come up empty. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    See what you can dig up at this link: Maintenance Schedules, Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins. Then you can drop by the Technical Service Bulletins discussion to ask about the details while you are witing for other Town Car owners to chime in here.

Welcome!
  • 96tc96tc Member Posts: 2
    It should be "red", or a wire with "red line".
    Just connect the black line (ground) to the body.
  • 96tc96tc Member Posts: 2
    There is a box under the break light (at the back of middle rear passenger site). You might want to check if the anntena is connected to that box. You might need converter.
  • davemd80davemd80 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a bunch pat! The links you gave me turned up several more concerns with the transmission. Guess I'll go get busy.

Dave
    Let us know how it goes.
  • ghomghom Member Posts: 1
    i read in arizona republic, arizonas newspaper, that there was a decision in a class action suit in regards to lincoln intake manafolds, and ford motor co. agreed to settle this class action suit in the amount of i think 700+ million dollars. all you have to do is go to a ford dealership and inform them of your problem. i had the same problem, and the remedy was to replace the plastic intake with a new retrofit manafold where the problem area is now made of alum. check it out the refund amount to appx 750.00 by the way, it cost me 1200.00 george
  • 29er29er Member Posts: 4
    It was very enjoyable reading back through this forum on Town Cars. To people thinking about buying a used TC, do it! My experience with TC's have been very good. The last one was a 92 executive, bought new and driven over 256K (80% highway). Last year I gave it to my brother-in-law who has had no problems. The last six years, in my possession only one windshield wiper was replaced. Nothing else was repaired or replaced during these six years. I changed the oil every 4K miles and did nothing else to it other than wash & wax. That car was amazing!! I have not found anything like it since, other than rotors and brake pads, its was all factory. Good grief, charley brown!
  • trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    I'm thinking about buying a used Town Car for my 62 mile oneway commute and was wondering, I know they did quite a few tweaks to the '03, did they change the rear suspension in some way? I notice that the '03's and newer seem to sit up higher in the rear. Was thinking of an older TC but with all the mod's they did to the 03's I may go the extra bucks and get one....my commute is a bit long but I only do it once a week so an older TC would do....

Thanks
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    The 03 does have the improved rear suspension Check out the 03's on e bay. For example ---

Lincoln : Town Car
    2003 Lincoln Towncar Executive LOW 9,737 MILES BEAUTY

Miles: 9737 Doors: 4 doors or more
    Transmission: Automatic Interior: Gray
    Year: 2003
    Warranty: Existing VIN Number: 1lnhm81w93y632683
    Get the Vehicle History Report
    Title: Clear Exterior: Silver
    Condition: Used Inspection: --
    Engine: 8 CYLINDER 4.6 LITER

Standard Equipment:
    POWER DOOR LOCKS AM/FM RADIO CRUISE CONTROL ABS
    CASSETTE KEYLESS ENTRY LEATHER CD
    POWER WINDOWS POWER STEERING AUTO CLIMATE CONTROL EXECUTIVE
    2 WHEEL DRIVE POWER SEAT DRIVER AIR BAG 8 CYLINDER 4.6 LITER

If I were to replace our '94, an '03 would be first choice. :)
  • beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    I don't know about the suspension but I can tell you this about TC's in general: Mine was in the shop for a week and a half until last night. The dealership gave me a new Ford Fivehundred to drive. Wow... although it was a bit heavy on interior plastic, I was impressed with the seat/driver position, performance, handling and interior room. I started thinking it might be a pretty good option for my commute and occasional people hauling - then I got my TC back... !!!!

NO COMPARISON!! If you haven't decided on the TC vs. something else yet, the TC is what you need for the commute you describe, and I would not argue with the recommendation for the '03.
    "Mine was in the shop for a week and a half"

Holy Hillary! I hope it wasn't the Body Shop! Was it something minor and they were waiting for rare parts?

Share with us re: your TC. Thanks,

Euphonium
    Sorry euph, it was the body shop, indeed.

The lady that I watched from 40 feet away while she backed in to my parked car's left quarter was insured by USAA. They set me up royally. All work was done by a respected Lincoln dealer's shop and they let me drive the loaner Fivehunderd for all of the time they waited for the 18 year old chrome strip to arrive from across the country.

They did an excellent paint job and, since they had the colors mixed up already, touched up a couple of spots for me.

It looks great but hurts anyway.
    Ford will idle the following facilities by 2008:
    - Wixom Assembly, 1,567 employees

Question:Does this affect only the LS plant or both LS and Towncar?

Would Ford consolidate production of the Town Car with Grand Marq & Crown Vic in Ontario? If not, where?

If the GM is a rich man's CV, will the TC be a rich man's GM? Same engine, transmission, suspension, body on frame, cozy cabin dimensions?

Or is this the death of the TC as was your father's Oldsmobile? :(
    Thanks for the input to my questions the other day. I believe I will try to find me a reasonably priced '03(although I stopped by the Harley shop the other day and one was calling my name LOL)....I've loved those town cars since I rented one for my wedding a 100 years ago :) I don't know what I've been waiting for. I've been watching ebay, you guys ever bought a car off there?? It's kinda scarey to me.

Euphonium I didn't know they still made the LS after the Zephyr came out, but you guys know alot more about Lincoln then I do. I know it was a apprehensive day in Louisville today with the Ford announcements....we have 2 Ford plants....an Explorer and F-250 plant here. The Explorer plant is down about 100,000 units from last year though Sport Trac production is cranking back up so that may help....there still is that feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop....plants used to mandatory overtimes have had several weeks of mandatory furloughs the last few months
    My best friend has purchased two cars from Ebay - both Lincolns - no problems. He was pleased. I personally wouldn't do it unless I could get undeniable records and ownership history. I've seen too much garbage come across the used lots of otherwise respected Big Three dealers; I fear the anonymity of Ebay and would need to do the research. I'd hate to find seaweed stuck up in the 8-track.

Also, the LS is not replaced by the Z. Z + 6K = LS.
  • pitchkingpitchking Member Posts: 3
    I own an 02 Town Car (LOVE IT!) but just heard about a story on CNN about the Town Car having the same problem as the police cruiser Crown Vics -- the bolts from the axle piercing the gas tank in a rear end collision and causing major (deadly) fires.

The link to the story is here
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/23/ford.fires/index.html

Watch the video too! Now what? Do I get rid of the Town Car? I often carry things in the trunk, too....

Dazed, confused, and scared of losing "my baby." :cry:
  • tdolltdoll Member Posts: 1
    How do I add air to the rear suspension so that I can drive it to the shop to get the conversion kit installed. The car is riding do close to the ground and its like riding a horse now.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Low and slow!
    don't care much for this color combo but this description tells pretty much alot of the upgrades they made to the '03 TC's.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HEATED-SEATS-FACTORY-WARRANTY-3000-BELOW-WHOLESAL- E_W0QQitemZ4608406244QQcategoryZ31851QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

upon doing research and deciding to go newer(was gonna get a '97) I think the 03 is the way I wanna go....your so right beernut about seaweed in the 8 track there is alot of that going around right now. Now just finding the right combination of price and car.

Saw what I think was a TC concept on TV from the Auto Show but came in late and not sure..if it was it looked alot like a Volvo
    So... I went to the D.C. Auto Show last Friday... Mainly to see The Black Widow. She was there and didn't dissapoint. While there, I also looked at some cars.

Short of a step by step report on the show, I will tell you this scary thing. I was interested in looking at the Zephyr and I did and I have an opinion, but the real story is the '06 Town Car... I didn't see one. It didn't register right away that there didn't appear to be one, but by the time I got to the Buicks I realized it and went back to look again. Lots of Zephyrs, lots of goofy Lincoln pick-up trucks (whatever that's all about), some really cool LS's, but no TC's. Puzzling.

As I was leaving the show, I figured this was too weird, so I went back a third time. There, behind this gaudy 8 on a turntable, at the edge of the show floor, IN THE SERVICE CORRIDOR, sat a TC - - with heavily padded vinyl roof, big whitewalls and gaudy chrome wheels. I met a salesman and commented on the car. He said, "Yea, there sure don't make 'em like that anymore, those big old dinosaurs!"

How I felt about the car doesn't matter. How Ford feels about them is clear - and its appalling.
    Have you seen the Lincoln Family ads on TV?
    They show a Zephyr, Mark LT and a Navigator.
    No TC.
    I have, but didn't pay much attention. Now that you mention it, I think you're right! Bye bye, TC.
    Because FOMOCO is closing their Wixom plant, it appears the TC is to be no more.

If I were a Lincoln dealer, I'd take on the Jaguar franchise to replace the TC market.
  • nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    Do you know if anyone has actually received a refund from Ford? I took my receipt and signed legal document to the Lincoln dealer here on January 1, 2006 to file a claim. I have not received a response from Ford. Do you know if there is a phone number or e-mail address where customers can determine the status of their claims? The dealer here stated that once they submit the documents to Ford, they have no further action to take regarding the claim.
    What I mistakenly thought was the new TC at the Autoshow was the new MKS or Mark S thats due out next fall. Its based on the Ford 500 platform and will have all wheel drive and 315hp v-8. Its supposed to replace the LS and bridge the gap between the Zephyr and TC. I dunno, I think somebody said it best here, Lincoln is becoming more of a fancy Ford division instead of a luxury division. They take a Ford and hang a little more chrome and doodads on it and call it a Lincoln.

Is it just me or did the leather used in TC's kinda go south after the '97 model year?
    Its not just you. Go back in this board to #1000 or 1200 or so to see that everybody is pretty down on Lincoln's leather. I don't know when it started to slide, but I'd rather have cloth than their recent leather. It feels hard and looks cheap.

But you are in luck, Mr. Trucker50 person... My '88 Cartier has the softest leather your butt's ever seen, and its for sale!
  • gene42gene42 Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know for certain if there will be a 2007 Town Car. If so, how different will it be from the 2006. Also, if the TC ultimately goes out of production, what is the rule on dealers maintaining repair parts on old models, especially in the case of unexpired warranties,
    I don't know the future of the TC, I think the Mark S will fill a void that was left by the Continental.
    I wouldn't worry about warranties though as long as Lincoln/Mercury are in business I'm sure they will honor them. Look at how GM handled the demise of Oldsmobile, any GM dealer will service them and honor their remaining warranty. As far as parts, as long as their are alot of them on the road the parts will be there.
    I'm in the market for a used TC and am not worried at all about future availability of parts

Thanks for the offer on the '88 beernut but thats a bit older then I wanted to go. Why you selling it? I know a guy that has a one owner, cherry '77 for sale that I don't think has ever been wet, but I have a '75 Caprice already soooo.
    We can't use the Forums for buying and selling cars or anything else - thanks.
    Oh, c'mon pat. Lighten up a little.

Besides, I sold it Saturday.
    Great! Hope you got the price you were looking for. :)
    I did, actually. You know how sometimes when you are selling a car that's a little unique, you just hope for the one guy to come along that used to have one just like it and has always been sad he sold it and wished he had it back?

Well, that guy showed up at my house Saturday morning. His mother used to have one just like it. He was afraid to drive it with my plates on it and in the rain so I delivered it to his house. The poor guy had tears in his eyes.
  • lincolnmanlincolnman Member Posts: 4
    My town car is a 1990 signature series,
    mave serious problems with the shock/rear suspension system so this wil;l help me and i thank you.
    the second part is the heater core is busted, pepboys tell me it will cost me almost 700.00 to correct the problem....they sell the part for 40.00 or less. it is supposedly under the dash board enclosure....can i buy this part and replace it myself?..im no wizzard but i have worked on all my cars so far...i just dont want to undertake something i cant handle...i trust your judgement.
    Firestone says the same as pepboys. so did two others..
    your responce is appreciated.

lincolnman :lemon:
  • lincolnmanlincolnman Member Posts: 4
    rear windows will not open nor go up...when buttons pressed it makes a noise....front driver side window will not open if open will not close.....1990 signature series tc....anyone got a fix that i can do myself? :):(
    $700.00 is a fair price to have the heater core replaced. The dash board has to be moved to get to the heater core. I am suprised that Pep Boys and Firestone would take this on. It is a time consuming tedious job.
    Get ready to spend a full days work if you have to remove the door panels to fix the three power windows on your TC. You may need power window regulators or motor repair kits. Typically, you can buy these through E-Bay. The job is not very difficult. If you have changed a set of plugs on a TC or replaced a starter then you can probably repair these windows.
    It would no doubt be alot pricier but if ya gotta take the dash out Id rather let a Lincoln dealer do it then some shop that, while may have limited experience doing it, is doubtful they have ever done it on your model car. You usually get what you pay for.
    Man its quiet in here....lonelier then a Town Car showroom
  • benpete29benpete29 Member Posts: 2
    According to my Lincoln dealer the 2007 TC will be coming out in the fall of this year. It will be on a Montego platform but much more luxurious with front wheel drive. He said the reports were that it's a great looking car. No other details about it are known except it won't be the same size or configuration as the 2006. I suppose more info will be leaking out as time goes by. Keep alert
    First I hear of closing the Wixom plant. Now, I hear it will be downsized with Front wheel drive. Foop! :( :mad: :P :P

Now, where did I put that XJ8 brouchure?
  • gul7772gul7772 Member Posts: 1
    The power drivers seat on my 98 TC quit working. The seat back works ok but it won't move forward or backward. It makes a chattering sound when I try to use it. Any ideas?
    Man if they wanna kill the Town Car why don't they give it the respect it deserves and quit making it. To true lovers of the TC, a full sized luxury car, putting it on the Montego platform will be the final nail in its coffin. When they had the last major redesign in '98 alot of TC owners where appalled and they lost quite a few customers....and some elected to keep their '97's.
    I'd like to see them take a page out of Ford's book with the Mustang and give us an old school redesign with all the class and elegance of the old TC's with the technology of today but alas that'll never happen. :(
    What would you rather have?
    V-6 Front wheel drive, or this car built on the current Town Car chassis:
    Disconnect the battery. Remove the power seat switch panel. Disconnect the wiring harness and spray the switches with potentiometer cleaner. After cleaning, reconnect the harness and connect the battery. Check operation of seat. If this does not solve the problem, check the wiring harness under the seat. If there is power through the harness and the seat does not work, you may have to unbolt the seat and make some adjustments or replace the motor. Working on the under-the-seat mechanism is not difficult.
    I'd have to have some more information about this car, if this has the potential of being the next TC. I did not care much for the front wheel drive Continental and, to me, the 98-06 TC looks to similar to the Grand Marquis and Crown Vic.
    I'll take "this car built on the current TC chassis" with the 300 H.P. Mustang engine please. Where will it be built as Wixom is being mothballed.???
  • zanzibarjosezanzibarjose Member Posts: 10
    Perot drives an 85 Delta 88. Sam Walton drove a 55 Ford F-100. Buffet I follow his advice astutely, thats why I still drive my 84 Town car. Money is as money does!
  • beflat10rbeflat10r Member Posts: 2
    i like it alot. its a boat. its a pimpmobile.smooth. pretty much trouble free for me. i bought it 2 yrs ago with only 69000 miles on it and now its at 120000. the gas consumption is making me love it less,so much so that im thinking of getting into a sub compact car. im tired of being gouged by the ..oil companies? i guess? i do so much driving that its making me sick to put $350-$400 a month of gas into it and the next hurricane or insurgent attack on an oil field the price will skrocket i think.
    so.....
    this car is beautiful though. its sad that i cant afford to drive cars like this any more!