Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Hi. . .

Livery car drivers, in my neck of the woods, claim that the Lincoln Town Car's traction is NOT all that in wintry conditions, both on snow or icy streets/roads. At least the few drivers I have asked reply that way. Perhaps their TCs are not equipped with traction control, pre 2004? What I'd really like to do is purchase a 2004 or '05 certified preowned model (the ones
    with rack and pinion steering instead of recirculating ball), pimp her out somewhat with a LARGE power sunroof, metallic paint (with plenty of flake), and have a powerful audio system installed with about 500 watts of overall power. The standard power sunroof that certain Town Cars provide is far too small for a machine of its size, I feel. I speak for myself, of course.

That's the plan if I decide to go with a Town Car. They seem to be tank like, in that they take a lickin' and keep on tickin', so to speak!

Peace! :)
  • trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    Upon reflecting I don't think Town Cars do very well on the snow and ice. I figured as heavy as they are they'd do better. Maybe its because I'm looking to buy an '03 when I find the right one but last winter when the roads got bad I noticed an unusually high percentage slid off the road. :(
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Bummer, Trucker. . .

If only Lincoln featured stabilty AND traction control with their TC-

Now you see why I'm leery of going with the TC, eventhough it IS a majestic looking machine, IMHO-

I would have gone with an '03 also.

A Caddy in my future? They're nice and all, but I'm not overly impressed with their exterior designs, meaning all models. Again, I speak for myself.

BummerBummerBummer!!! :cry:

Peace! ;)
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Have had a 94 Signature TC with traction control since new.
    We are Alpine skiers and have taken it into the high Cascades from Whistler to Bachelor and have never had to hang iron. It is wonderful in snow and ice as long as you drive accordingly. With 130k on it, it's going back to Whistler this Winter. As with any vehicle, it's not the car, it's the driver. ;)
  • girt202girt202 Member Posts: 1
    I would highly recommend you test drive the vehicle in your area prior to purchasing. I live in Utah and it does not have sufficient traction on any inclines. Living on a small incline on the bench I find myself backing out of the subdivision. I thought Lincoln put cheap tires on it but found out the tires are just fine. 2005 Town Signature Limited. Hope that assist you in your decision.
  • trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    Well I too have considered a Cadillac. I think the Deville with bucket seats are particularly sweet and I'm sure with FWD they'd do better in inclement weather.

Nothing however rides like a Town Car. My commute to work is 62 miles one way so I'll except their short comings and continue my search for my '03. :D
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    I enjoyed your message. I own both a 2004 Cadillac Deville and a 2005 Lincoln Towncar Signature Limited. I like both cars but agree with you that the Lincoln is by far the more attractive looking vehicle, other advantages Lincoln, much more quiet ride, much better braking from transmission, better cruise control. My Lincoln is equipped with traction control but Lincoln does not offer stability control. I do not live in a snowy area so it would not be a factor in a car choice. Advantages of my Deville are a smoother ride (air suspension in Lincoln makes car a bit jittery on bumpy roads), slightly better power and performance from the Northstar. In rear wheel and all wheel drive cars I like the Chrysler 300C and they have just introduced a stretch version. 300C also has a four wheel drive version if weather such as ice and snow is a factor. Am considering replacing my Deville with a Chrysler when ready, perhaps in about a year. As long as my Lincoln runs well, I will not part with it in the forseeable future.
    Was running at 35psi as recommended on door panel, ride a bit to harsh on rough surfaced roads. Have dropped to 32.5 psi. A much better more comfortable ride. Am I shortening the life of the tires?
    Is there a much greater risk of side wall damage at the lower pressure? The tires read 35 psi, maximum pressure so I am assuming that the slightly lower pressure is not going to either shorten tire life or leave me very vulnerable to side wall damage. Am I correct in these assumptions? What pressure do others use on town cars, and what results have you had?
  • crazlovercrazlover Member Posts: 2
    Every time I put gas in my car, it keeps stopping the pump like most cars do when they are full. I put some fuel line cleaner into the tank but it didn't help at all. Can somebody please help me out before I go and spend a fortune in a shop to tell me something simple. :(
    Try setting the pump on "Slow" fill. The fuel is backing up and the pump's sensor is calibrated to shut the flow off, preventing the fuel from burping back. Give the tank more time when filling by running the nozzle much slower.
  • illanicillanic Member Posts: 3
    i need something reliable and i love lincolns but i cant afford a newer one....how good are these cars at older ages
  • crazlovercrazlover Member Posts: 2
    I have. That's the only way I can get gas in it at all. I have to go extreamly slow every time I get gas.
    Probably very good BUT you will need to have the car checked out thoroughly by a professional. I was talking to someone the other day who said he knew fleet owners that had gotten as much as 500,000 miles out of Town Cars. They are very well built and thats why fleet owners like them. As with any model and car there will be quirks here and there. The key is to buy a car that has been well maintained and than continue to maintain it. I have only owned my 2005 Town Car for six months so it is to early to give a long term evaluation but so far has lived up to my expectations. Hope this helps.
  • ddinhamddinham Member Posts: 4
    I may be on to something here re the lack of AC blower speeds in hot weather. I discovered that if you manually select Recirculate and leave it there it works fine. It seems that otherwise the computer wants to bring in outside air until the inside/outside temp is the same and then switch to Recirculate at which time it will allow full fan speed. This can take up to 10 minutes somtimes. I experimented with this for some time during the past summer and was able to get by with using no more than second or third speeds regardless of how hot it was outside which keeps down the noise considerably. I preferred this instead of allowing Auto on the fan speed. Many times it was in excess of 100 degrees F outside during this time.
  • phyrman1phyrman1 Member Posts: 1
    Somewhere on this board - sorry, I can't find it again - was a post regarding this very problem. The post explained how to check the pressure hose associated with the tank fill neck which normally is what causes this problem. Often, that hose gets kinked or blocked, resulting in exactly what you described. Good luck, and don't give up!
    Am having a difficult time getting the roof to close completely in that when I push the button forward as stated in the owners manual the back side of the roof opens, with much effort I am able to get the roof to close completely but wondered if either I am doing something wrong or the mechanism is defective? The car is garage kept and the roof is rarely opened but would like to be able to use this feature from time to time. I have read the owners manual but either I do not understand or something is wrong. Are there other owners with this feature that could offer advice?
  • w0bymagnusw0bymagnus Member Posts: 19
    It's the same design as the 2006. The 1998 and the 2006 look nothing alike if you actually look at the car, i'm not sure why people say they look the same.
    They are the same in engine, transmission, drive line, and exterior sheet metal. Minor changes included wheel size.

The last Town Car to consider is the 03 due to suspension improvements.

Basically, same old Tired Car. :cry:
  • nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    They say they look alike because the styling differences are not as dramatic as, for example, the styling differences between the 97 TC and 98 TC. Based on Lincoln's styling legacy, considering the styles of the 80 through 89 TCs and the 90 through 97 TCs, I had not expected them to make the 2007 TC uniquely different. My issue with Lincoln/Ford is that the styling differences between the TC, Grand Marquis, and Crown Vic are too subtle. If you visit a Lincoln Mercury dealer and this dealer has late model TCs, Grand Marquis, and Crown Vics side-by-side, they appear to be dramatically similar. The post at #1504 is correct regarding the engine, transmission, etc. These cars, however, have a major price differential. The TC costs about $10,000.00 more than Grand Marquis. The power options and features on these car are, basically, the same. Why, when the cars are so similar, is there such huge difference in the price?
    In 1997 I toured the assembly plant, Wixom and was told they build 33 Town Cars an hour while the Mark VIII line put out 11 Marks an hour because of the craftsmanship difference.

Perhaps the Town Car costs $10,000 more due to it's slower than Grand Marquis build time resulting in better assembly and craftsmanship. Also, the TC has more luxury features that are standard whereas optional in the Crown Vic/GM.
    I was under the impression that 2007 Town Car would be the last. Recently I have been hearing rumors that the Towncar will in fact be continued in to 2008. Is there any foundation to this hear say? I sure hope so, I own a 2005 that I have been very pleased with. Considering that I also own a 2004 Cadillac Deville and owned a 98 Deville before that I prefer Town Car to either of the Cadillacs. I hope Ford Corporate will continue the Town Car. If anyone has information on this please post at this site. Many thanks.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Originally Ford said they were discontinuing it. Then, Ford said they were moving production of it to the same plant where the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis is built.

However, Ford never really said when the move will take place, and given Ford's dire situation, they could change their mind again.

The problem for the Town Car is Ford doesn't want to sink any money into the platform, but they also know any customers who like the car will not switch to another Ford product if they kill the car.

I like the Town Car and Grand Marquis - if they go away, I'll just keep buying them used as long as that is feasible. I will not buy whatever tarted up lesser product Ford cobs together to replace them.
    This is supposed to be the latest on the future of the Town Car:
    Lincoln's current flagship sedan, the Town Car, will live on after the company's new flagship comes to market.
    Although the new flagship, known internally as E386, will arrive in model-year 2009, the Town Car will live on through at least 2010. Supplier sources familiar with the automaker's plans say Lincoln could relegate the Town Car to fleet sales once the new flagship arrives. Lincoln is planning to overhaul its sedan lineup, and recently said it will kill its midrange LS sedan in favor of another vehicle with a similar position in the lineup. The car that will roughly occupy the LS' place in the lineup, known as D385, will arrive in model-year 2008 on Ford's D3 platform, and E386 will use a long-wheelbase version of the architecture. Both new sedans will likely use Ford's new 3.5-liter V6 and perhaps an optional 4.4-liter V8. Although Lincoln will position D385 and E386 similarly to that of the LS and Town Car, the models are said to be quite different from Lincoln's current cars. "It's nothing like an LS," said a Ford spokesman of D385 in a recent phone interview with Inside Line. D385 should go on sale in about two years, and Lincoln will most likely not call it "LS." Suppliers say it will have standard all-wheel drive. E386 should follow about a year later. What this means to you: Fans of the Town Car will be sad to hear it may eventually be available only as a fleet model.
    If the Town Car is sold to fleet owners only would that include car rental companies? I bought my 2005 Town Car as a car rental lease return. It had been in service about a year, had a little less than 16,000 miles on it and was in like new condition. I paid less than half the new price and wouldn't mind buying the Town Car like this in the future.
    I'm satisfied that my post number 1507 has generated some new interest in this forum and hope other owners will also post in favor of keeping the Town Car. I've got to believe that Ford management occasionally reads this forum and if enough satisfied owners post here it may have a small but significant impact. Ford might consider an ad run by another car company a while back that said if you want to know about this car, ask the person who owns one, my impression is that the vast majority of owners are very satisfied with their Town Cars.
    I saw that ad & remember it copied an old Packard motto,"Ask the man who owns one." ;)

If I have to wait too long for a "new" TC, there won't be any kind of a Ford in my future. :sick:
    Yes, you are correct it was for Packard and they were fine cars. Didn't quite understand what you meant in the second sentence of your reply, please tell me a little more.
    On taking my 05 Towncar to the dealership for an oil change last week the mechanic showed me where the suggested tire pressures are (middle door post).
    They are 32 PSI front and 35 PSI rear. He also suggested that the front tires would last longer if set to 35 PSI. I did not think to ask him if there would be in detriment to the car itself running the front tires at 35 rather than the recommended 32 PSI.
    I don't see how the Lincoln TC Division of Ford could be profitable with the TC as a primary fleet only car. It seems to me that Ford's main fleet car now is the Crown Vic; and currently, it is a lot more economical than the TC. So, what would happen to the Crown Vic? Fleet owners will go after the car with the best price. At one time I owned TC's and Caddy's at the same time. Cadillac ruined the Caddy with with things like the 4-6-8 engine, HT 4100 engine, and front wheel drive. (Even though now their front wheel drives aren't all that bad). I stopped buying Cadillacs. I would hope that Lincoln would not put me in a position to look over the fence at a another manufacturers luxury car.
    Very helpful and informative post. I have found my 2005 Town Car handles better than my 2004 Deville and think its'
    the fact that Town Car is rear Wheel drive. If you did look for another luxury car if Town Car is discontinued what car do you think you would look for? I generally hold my cars for three years and this summer will be three years of holding the 2004 Deville. Am not certain I will trade but if I did, do you have any suggestions as to what would compliment my Town Car of the current choices. I have considered a rear wheel Cadillac STS as my replacement.
    After reading previous posts estimating the arrival of a new TC to be several years off, I could be in the market for a sedan not made by Ford, but still RWD that seats six with a V8.

Fortunately, our 94 Signature with 132K runs very well, now.
    It would be hard for me to say which luxury car I'd look to get if Lincoln discontinued or radically changed the TC in a detrimental way. (For example, the front wheel drive Continental.) I've owned TCs since 1977. My experiences with Caddy's of late have been through rentals of DTSs, and from a renters perspective, they were not bad cars. I have not heard of any unusual complaints about the STS.
    Friend with STS and Northstar was contacted by their monitor asking if he was O K.

Friend, surprised at Northstar calling him asked why and was told according to their GPS he was in Obstruction Pass near Orcas Island, 250 feet from shore.

Somebody was "all wet", but not my friend. :)
  • godfather4024godfather4024 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 97 TC Sig series after my father in law buried his head on into the front end of a Jeep Cherokee at 40+ MPH and lived (along with my beloved mother in law). The TC was totalled, but he was totally ok, as was she. My land yacht had 80k on the odo when I found her. I paid $5.5g for her. In 20 months I've put over 50k miles on her, mostly highway driving. In town, it's a dream. It's surprisingly easy to manuever even in the tightest spots. On the open road it's very nice. It won't win any races, but it also won't leave you in any holes, or wishing for tons more power...and this is even with a full load (five 200+ lb. guys in tow). The reliability is wonderful. I've put one fuse in for 1.00, and had a switch for the headlights put in for about 350.00. The AC blows ice cubes. I can't say enough about the reliability. I've owned Hondas, Lexus, Buick and Chevy, and this is by far the ONLY car that has been driven this hard and not left me wishing for more car, or more reliability. If you drive alot, you will like the deep seat cushion that supports the entire length of the thigh. I've driven late model Caddys and Lexus and I don't like the way the cushion ends about 3/4 of the way toward your knee. Of course this is just my opinion. I don't care for the 2003 to current model TC. The little arm rest stash drawer on the driver's and passenger's doors have a really cheesy plastic (and very squeeky/flimsy feel) lid. I'm used to my super quiet 97 and this little rattle turned out to be the deal breaker for me. 99-02 had the good old fashioned lid that clicks down with a deliberate thud. No squeaks period. I'll settle for a 99-02 Cartier with around 60k. We're talking anywhere from $10g-$14g in Texas. They are out there, and they are awesome. Most of them have been babied with all maintenance performed on schedule. Just think of who owns them for the most part. I'm in my mid thirties and all of my friends can't believe how big/confy/reliable my car is. The trunk is mafioso approved-it can haul a ton and it doesn't seem to matter how much weight it's pulling. Last note: It has a very durable suspension. It wears tires evenly, and I've only had it alligned once. Since that allignment I've found more curbs that I'd like to admit, but the steering is still dead center, and the tires are wearing very evenly with routine rotation and balancing. My Lexus was so finicky as was my Honda. They both ate tires galore. The suburban was just ok. End.
    Enjoyed your post very much, was well written and informative. I noticed that you recently joined this forum and hope you will continue to share your experiences with your towncar(s) here.
    I haven't heard any late news regarding whether the decision has been announced regarding the continuance of the Towncar for the 2008 model year. I don't read all the auto web sites so may have missed an announcement if it has been made. Would think the decision has been made this late in the 2007 model year.
    I'm with you. Haven't even heard of any retooling at St. Thomas, either. If Ford comes out with another warmed over 1998 Town Car and labels it a 2008, I can't reward that move.
    If I learn anything I will post here regarding 2008. With Ford posting loses, even if they just did a few changes to the present car and kept it for 2008 I think most Towncar supporters would be satisfied.
    As for me there will have to be major design changes/improvements along with the 5.4L engine. If not, I'm looking at the Mustang GT Premium as there are only two of us. I'd keep the old 6 passenger TC for hauling others with us and dump the 95 T Bird.

When paying a luxury price for a luxury car, you should get a luxury engine, distinct design, and a warranty that at least matches the Hyundai. ;)
  • furleyfurley Member Posts: 13
    EGR Valve bad?
    I have owned three Cadillacs and one Town Car. While two of my Devilles have worked fairly well with few issues, just bought a new DTS and have had all sorts of glitches in the first weeks of ownership. Worst part is after taking the DTS to the dealership today and having been told all issues
    are resolved I developed all the same issues on the way home
    meaning NONE RESOLVED! Only good thing about all this is that if they have to tow the DTS to the dealership I will have what has been a totally reliable Town Car to drive while the DTS is being (LOL) repaired. My message to both companies is CADILLAC CLEAN UP YOUR ACT and to Ford Motor
    KEEP THE TOWN CAR IN PRODUCTION IN 2008!
  • douglasrdouglasr Member Posts: 191
    ...The last Lincoln rolls off the line at Wixom on May 31. The following day(s) the line will be dismantled and trucked to St. Thomas Ontario, where it will be reassembled in time for the 2008 Town Car with a delayed introduction.

...preliminary pre-production of bodyshells for the mark s has begun at Chicago, with 79 shells being made within the last three weeks. Production is not scheduled to begin until March 15, 2008 for an early 2009 model year introduction for the Volvo based mk s.

DouglasR
    Really good news that this great car will still be will still be with us. I'm sure as car technology changes that Lincoln will be changed and improved from the fine car it already is. In my opinion the Cadillac technology is a little more modern and advanced than Town Car. I prefer the
    the T.C. for its' beauty and comfort, just a real treat on every drive. I also prefer the rear wheel drive to Cadillac DTS
    front wheel drive which makes Cadillac DTS a more noisy car. I also find the Town Car handles better even though its' larger and heavier than the DTS. DTS, I think has better insulation in its' doors. All in all, both great cars and I like owning both of them.
    Will the St. Thomas Town Car be another 1998 "Improvement" or a completely new model with perhaps a Lincoln engine instead of a Crown Victoria powerplant?
  • jokers94lincoljokers94lincol Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1994 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series with a new Keyless entry pad how would I program it without any of the old codes?
  • jokers94lincoljokers94lincol Member Posts: 2
    If you find out would you let me know, im having the same problem, I would appreciate it thanks.
    the process is outlined and written in the '94 Owners Manual, but memory tells me to use the process, you need to know the factory sequence of numbers. Sometimes those numbers are on a separate card, in the leather pouch holding the manual, frequently they are stuck on the left hinge arm of the deck lid. Look for five numbers on a little sticker that could be stuck anywhere on the car. :)
    When I bought my 2005 Town Car, I did not have the code either. I took it to a Ford dealer and the tech scanned it with a hand held computer. You can then change the code to one of your own choice, instructions should be in your owners manual, if not ask at the dealership after they scan and give you the original code. This I expect would be true for your model years as it was for my 2005. Best wishes!
  • panamajackpanamajack Member Posts: 16
    I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a new town car. today I drove one along with a cadillac DTS. Tomorrow I look at the Lexus and Infiinity. So far I love the town car, it feels like a luxury car. the one I drove is the signature model with all the bells and whistles. What's great is the $7K discount along with getting invoice price (minus the $7K). The DTS was nice, but it doesn't seem as luxorious or as roomy. I'm looking for a luxury car that I can take on vacation and not have to put half my suitecases in the back seat. I think the lexus and infinity are going to be too small and too much money. If anyone can give me feed back on a 2007 TC I would appreciate it. They told me the 2008 TC will be a limited quantity production car. They are running out of 07 and 08 won't be out until late 08. I'm going to have to decide quick
    I hope someone will post information on a 2007 Town Car but just in case they don't I will share this. owning a 2005 has been a very good experience for me, I also own a 2006 DTS which was bought new about a month ago. I had some problems with the new DTS, defective battery and electrical problems. I bought the Town Car in July 2006 with 17,000 miles on it. Is the Signature Limited with quite a few extras such as a sun roof and in dash CD stacker. So far I have been very pleased with it and have had no problems. The 2007 is very much like the 2005, changes are they have added a tachometer to information systems on the dash board
    and added some changes in colors. So far as I know the last major changes to the Town Car were in 2003 when they made some small but significant changes to the suspension system. Other than that the cars are almost the same. Now that the problems to the DTS have been cleared up I can say that I like both cars. The interior in the Town Car feels more upscale to me, exterior paint on the DTS is in my opinion superior to my Town Car. I like the rear wheel drive
    on the Town Car versus front wheel on DTS. The Lincoln transmission is better at braking on steep grades than DTS which does not have nearly the braking power. Annoying feature on the Town Car is a long hesitation in the transmission when you do a hard acceleration on a freeway ramp or two lane passing situation. I like the exterior appearance of the of the Town Car better than DTS but it is very close as they are both gorgeous looking cars, both in gold (DTS - Light Cashmere, Town Car - Light French Silk).
    Hope this gives you some idea or perhaps gives you some food for thought. If you have other questions please post a reply and I will try to help you further. I hope someone with a 2007 will see your post as it would be exactly the same model year you are considering.
  • panamajackpanamajack Member Posts: 16
    Bremer, thanks for the post. You have been very helpful. It sounds like the TC will be a good choice for us. Actually I made a mistake, the one we made an offer for tonight is a designer series with all the bells and whistles, it is white choclate, my wife is crazy about the color and I have to admit, I like it too. Great car. We test drove an infinity M35 and a Toyota Avalon. the Infinity was very impressive, more room than I would have thought, and the interior was very sumptuous, and it had a good kick to it. the Avalon was very suprising, had most of the bells and whistles of both the Cadillac and TC for $36K. But after all was said and done, we went to see the TC again, and I just feel like royalty in that car. I'm glad to hear you're not having any problems. at these prices I want a realible car. I have a mustang cobra and have had no problems with it, so I'm pretty comfortable that the TC won't give us much problem. We made a counter offer tonight. I'll post if we get it. Thanks again for your post