Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• izaclown1izaclown1 Member Posts: 118
    Funny you should mentioned these items. The same things broke at around the same age and miles of use on both my 2000 and 2002. The same back driver's window quit working. The climate control and mass air sensors. Now my 2002 's dash is lighting up like a Christmas tree. I had the Service engine light fixed for a sensor before a trip. With in, 3 days my check gas cap and service engine light are on permanently. The dealer is not cheap, it is $100 just to bring it to the shop + repairs at $75-100 PER HOUR.

It runs like a champ though.
  • md2md2 Member Posts: 15
    I HAVE A FEW LINCOLNS IN MY FAMILY 2004 TO A 2008 THE 04 HAS 95,000 ON IT NO TROUBLE AT ALL MY 06 HAS 130,000 AND NO TROUBLE SO I BOUGHT A 2008 AND ITS GREAT SORRY YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE BUT I AM NOT
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    I was looking at Edmunds new car reviews and found the 2009 Town Car listed with information and photos.
    I had been told by my local dealership that the car would be discontinued after the 2008 model. Good news for owners like myself that really like the car. We will have it for at least one more model year. Hopefully Ford will see the wisdom of keeping this car in updated models for many years to come.
  • 99towncarexec99towncarexec Member Posts: 160
    They were going to stop making it,then they changed their collective minds and will continue to build the TOWN CAR for the near future.
    I get about 29 MPG on the highway in my T.C. If I owned a Prius I would get around 44 according to the stats. To me owning this very fine comfortable car far outweighs the the difference in fuel economy. I suspect other owners feel as I do. With a few adjustments TC could probably get around 35 MPG. This is an interesting Challenge for the Ford motor Co.
    As mentioned in previous posts my Cadillac DTS is not nearly as fuel efficient as my T.C. and I would consider replacing it with a hybrid in that the overall
    package and value in DTS is not nearly as good as T.C.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Passenger miles per gallon between your TC & Pious is actually about the same.
  • carfanforevercarfanforever Member Posts: 84
    I had a 1990 Town Car. First year for the aero body, last year for the legendary 5.0 liter V-8 avaliable in this model. Cool combo. It was a great car. I hope Ford keeps making the Town Car, it is a modern classic.
  • retired8retired8 Member Posts: 15
    The passenger window will not go up by itself. Once I get it up, it will normally go down with the button. I can run the button up, and then lift the window manually. I've searched this website and pretty well figured out it may be the motor that needs changing. I removed the door trim and am looking at the motor and regulator mechanism. My question is, do I remove all the rivets? There are three holding the motor, two bolts at the top that hold the metal guide (is that the regulator, or is the whole unit called the regulator) and two rivets at the bottom of the guide. Then there are two rivets clamping the window to its lifting device. Do I take all those rivets out to get the unit out of the door? It's a lot tighter inside that door than a van regulator I changed on my Villager. Any suggestions or answers to my questions will be greatly appreciated.
    2009 Town Cars in 12 year old bodies, engines, and transmissions.

The body design is way overdue for improvement as it came out in the Fall of '97.

The 4.6 L engine offers 239 hp while the Mustang provides 300.

The 4 speed automatic tries to compete with 6 speed automatics in most other luxury cars.

Considering the above, who is buying these tubs? What segment of the market do they satisfy? :(
  • panamajackpanamajack Member Posts: 16
    they aren't tubs, they are a great luzury car. We drive ours to Vegas and other vacations in luxury. Never had any problem with the horsepower, the ride is fantastic and the mileage is good. My mustang has 325 horsepower, don't know where you get 300
    Just don't test your under powered tub in the mountains of the Rockies or Cascades just because it is barely adequate on the level - needs the horsepower of the base Mustang 4.6 which is 300.
    I own both a 2005 Town Car and 2006 Cadillac DTS and have found that the power plant in the Town Car is MORE than adequate. While the DTS has a bit more power the power make up of the T.C. is more user friendly with the downshift button on the shifter and the fact that the shifter on T.C. is much easier to move on T.C. than any of the Devilles I have owned.
    I prefer T.C. on steep grades in that going downhill T.C. has a transmission with much better braking power without having to burn brakes. I have also in my personal experience found the T.C. to have More than adequate power on steep upgrades. Don't ever remember having to downshift on a steep upgrade.
    I don't think comparing a sports car with a luxury car is a good comparison in that they appeal to different types of drivers.
  • tlarktlark Member Posts: 1
    I need some more trunk space and was wondering if the rear seats fold down in a TC Executive Series 2002? And if so, how to do it?
    If non fold down rear seat, you might consider installing a hitch receiver and insert an external luggage carrier. They are available in different sizes and styles for you.
    The original warranty for my 2005 Lincoln Town Car is about to run out and am wondering if I should purchase and extended warranty from Ford or an extended warranty company such as Wynns or Zurich. I do most of my maintenance at the local Ford dealership. I have owned Wynns Warranties in the past with good results. Any experience of other Town Car owners that have dealt with this issue in the past as well as all suggestions will be appreciated.
    I have not had any experience with the warranties mentioned. I have had one in the past and it would have been cheaper to put the money in the bank and use it to fix the car. That is just my experience. The experience I have had with TC is not much goes wrong with them. Most of it is $150-$300. I have had very few problems with the previously owned (2000) and currently owned TC's (2002).

That is just my 2 pennies worth.
    Have owned and driven a TC 142,000 miles and 15 years. The original warranty was used for a minor part replacement. I'm a retired insurance agency owner & I wouldn't advise any mechanical insurance for anyone anytime.
    Thanks very much for the replies regarding extended warranties. I will give careful consideration to the suggestions. It is good to know that these cars are so trouble free. So far I have had no problems but am told an item such a a transmission replacement or rebuild could cost upwards of three thousand dollars to site one example. Since these warranties carry a prorated refund if the car is traded before expiration date, the warranty is sort of a hedging of potential costs. May be this type of hedge is not necessary given the experiences presented in the previous two posts. Thanks again for your valuable sharing of information.
    As for the AOD transmission, it is bullet proof having been around since 1980. If you change the oil & filter in it every 30 to 40 K miles, it should be trouble free. :)
  • brhalltxbrhalltx Member Posts: 4
    The AOD isn't bullet proof... I've had constant trouble (and constant shuddering) with one in a 1995 Grand Marquis. And couldn't get Ford to do a thing about it. All they'd do was flush the fluid; the problem recurs in 15,000 miles. They overheat the fluid and burn out the additives. Hopefully the newer ones have been fixed...
    Thanks for your remarks regarding the transmission in the 1995 Grand Marquis. Based on what you described would you suggest I buy the extended warranty to protect me from expenses from the type of problem you experienced?
    Thanks for your comment regarding oil change intervals. Are you using synthetic oils if the mileage is every 30 to 40 thousand miles or did you mean 4 to 5 thousand miles. I have not had a suggestion of as high as 30 to 40 thousand miles before.
  • gdt001gdt001 Member Posts: 10
    I'm sure it was a typo when someone suggested 30,000 mile oil changes. I have a 1997 Towncar (which is for sale) with 178,000 miles. I change oil every 7000 miles and have used Valvoline synthetic since the first oil change. This car still runs like a dream and it does not burn oil. I highly recommend using synthetic oils. We just purchased a new Lexus and that is what the Lexus dealer uses when they do oil changes.
    30 to 40,000 miles oil & filter change for the AOD transmission. Mercon V is a semi synthetic transmission oil and a lot more expensive than conventional transmission oil.

Engine oil is Mobil 1 and that is changed including filter between 9 & 10 thousand mile intervals. If down a quart @ 8 or 9 thousand, I'll change it then. Both the T Bird and Town Car use a quart about every 1500 miles as I keep the speed down.
    Delco filters are what I use.

Town Car has a total of 142,000 and T Bird = 110,000
  • mrlaw10mrlaw10 Member Posts: 8
    Would you still buy the early 90's series Executive ...looking at a 93 with 117k and would love to own one. Used to rent alot of the 80's cars and loved the ride.

Any suggestions on pricing as well?
  • whatamess1whatamess1 Member Posts: 7
    You could buy mine - an 03 with 121K on it for 8K.
    Sorry not looking for a 03 but rather early 90's
    If you buy an old car, check the maintenance records. Very important that regular oil changes are done. This will tell you how well the car was taken car of. Expect little things to go wrong, windows that won't work, electrical switches that don't work, etc. If the engine was well taken car of, 117K is still low mileage. Expect to pay between $1900 and $2,300 for a car in good condition. I'm selling my 97 for $4500.
  • nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    I would not buy a 1993 if it had that many miles on it and why not try to get a Signature Series or Cartier? Try to get a TC with less than 100K. Even with regular oil changes, the 91,92, and 93 TCs tend to use oil.
    I agree to the oil issue ....seems I hear that alot about the early 90's but it never seems to effect the other good parts about the car. The one I am looking at is a Signature series...guy wants 3k but is "very" flexible
    The 93 & 94's were identicle to me. Our '94 Sig has 142,500 miles on it & I value it at $5,450 due to its pristine and bristol condition. The potential problem is if it gets smacked by a Farmers insured, they would telephone adjust and only offer $2,000 without looking at it.

The 93 Sig you are considering for around $3,000 depends on its individual drive and appearance issues. Non smokers are worth a lot more than cigar carriages.

Suggestion: (If you buy this car) Absent records of this car, change all the fluids and filters in the engine, transmission, & torque converter. Then change the fluid in the rear axle.
    If the coolant is sour, change it as well. Pull a front wheel and inspect the brake pads. Because the Cruise Control set the rear brakes in action to control the speed going downhill, I'd look at the rear pads for wear as well.

Get as much history as you can on this car and then decide.
    Best answer to date and thanks for the input. Since this was a one family car..(passed from father to son) they have all the records and state that only the pump for the air bags makes noise and that the power trunk pull down doesn't work. I am going to see it this afternoon...thanks again :)
    Did you pull the trigger?
  • lincolnladylincolnlady Member Posts: 1
    How do you unclog the AC/Heating vents on a 2001 Lincoln Town Car??
    Remove the grillwork on the face of the vents, attach the hose from an industrial strength vacuum cleaner, packing the circumferance of the hose nozzle with rags, & turn on the vacuum.
    Well I finally got to view the car and it does have 117k on it. It was very clean and not resprayed. The old dude claimed his father gave it to him. Truck power return didn't work and you can hear the air compressor running while the car is on. Also the air bag light flashes the entire time it was on. He wanted 3k for it but I was a bit concerned that he only had "some" of the records and claimed he had all the brakes replaced etc. Best I could get him to was 2500. Should I have bought the car?
    Our 94 Sig trunk closing ended about 5 years ago so I just close it manually. No big deal.

If the air bag compressor never shut off, it could mean a leak in the bag or line or both. That would be a Red flag.

the air bag light flashes I think this refers to the SRS near the glove box and in the center of the steering wheel. This may be due to a blown fuse or open circut breaker under the hood.

Bottom Line: I'd pass on this one.
    I agree and that is what I did ultimately. The dealer said they would charge about 200 just to find out what was wrong with the Air bag light flashing (the manual just tells you to see the dealer) and it would be more to locate the problem with the compressor running. Bottom line was at least to plan on a 1000 bill at the min. So my search continues....I know one is out there....lol
    You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find the handsome prince.
    Get on E Bay, 1993 Lincoln Town Car, 17,000 miles = $5700. (Reserve NOT met) An Executive model, but in Miami.
  • nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    Try Craigslist and Autotrader for your Lincoln.
    Thanks, I did try Craiglist and the only response I got was a scam. I did sell the Lincoln by parking it on the main street where it could be easly seen. Seeing that car drive away was like losing my best friend. I don't know if the new Lincolns are as good as the old ones, but that '97 was a gem.
    I have had great luck with Craiglist and use it for lots of things. What do you find better or shall I say more accurate in terms of used car pricing...Edmunds or Kelly Blue Book?
    Are histories of past deals where the prices of the vehicles were inflated above TMV so as to over allow for the sub standard tradein vehicles. It is a finance ruse to enable the buyer to qualify for borrowing on the newer car.

Edmunds shows values that are "Tradein" "Private Seller" and "Dealer Seller".

A particular vehicle is worth a particular amount whether on a private driveway or a dealers lot. That Edmunds supports the higher price just because it is marketed by a dealer fails to realize the unit is worth only what the market will bear. Dealer prices should be the same as Private Seller prices for the same identical car. Sitting on the dealers lot does nothing to enhance a vehicles value. Nothing.
  • lincolnleeplincolnleep Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for your information. I ran test and came up with 3 codes: 25, 125, and 115. Does this mean that all codes are telling me of bad activator doors, bad speed sensor and bad coolant temp sensor?
    The problem is that the heater does not respond to thermostate- it just keeps heating. If I turn the themostate to a cooler temperature it will lower the fan speed.
    I should also tell you that the crusie control is not working iether.
    Does this self diagnosis cover more systems than just the Environmental system?
    Thanks for your input.
  • rwdfanrwdfan Member Posts: 15
    Hello everyone, great forum on TC here and I decided to buy a used TC since we will need a larger car due to a baby that's arriving soon. We don't want a minivan or a SUV and my wife and I decided on the Town Car, since it appears that there are some good deal on them right now. It's a V8 and our analysis shows that 17 mpg city and 24 mpg highway is decent for this size of a car. What should I look for when shopping for a 2003 / 2004 model ? I've find a few with around 70 - 78K miles on it for around $9,000.00. Thanks for any help from you. This will be my first TC.
    You are wise to be interested in the 2003 and later due to the suspension improvements made in that year.

IMO you can locate a 2003-4 with a lot less than 80k miles and for less than $9k.

When you buy it, change all the liquids and filters especially in the engine and transmission.

Check out e bay for TMV as Edmunds TMV is a joke.
    Thanks for this first feedback. I like the style of the 2003 and beyond, specially the inside and the front end. By the way, I'm 37 years old and not considered typical age for a TC, however, I need a confortable, reliable, safe and affordable car (which is the case for a used TC and most people don't know it). I also have a question, I've read on this forum that the seats of the Executive version are inferior to the Signature / Ultimate version....can you confirm it ? Also, the Executive series do not have heated driver and passanger seats. Please let me know more of your experience with the Town Car.
    I have a 2002 and had a 2000. Very minor problems and not big bucks to fix them so far. The problems with these 2 have been climate control sensor died and MAS failed. But, that has basically been it. I have enjoyed both of them. I can pack a family of 4 ( teen and preteen) for a week and had plenty of room. I LOVE the trunk size. I will hold most anything baby wise you can carry.

Just my $.02
    Thank you izaclown1, it's good to know that there are others there that like the car as I do and you already had a 2000 and now a 2002. Would you be able to share your experience with gas mileage when you have your family "on board". One of the main selling points for me is the trunk size. By the way, I found a very nice 2003 Signature for $7,900 asking price but it has 96,000 miles on it, looks very good inside / outside though......just perfect for my budget, the seller will not reduce the price further....I'm not sure about the mileage.....should be OK if it was well taken care of....