Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• md2md2 Member Posts: 15
    I Love My Town Car I Have A 2005, 2008 Always Had one I Am Getting 20mPG City And Between 29 To3 1 HWY I Use Shell Gas And Once A Month I Put In Gas Mavel Oil Also I Use Syth Oil Pluss I QT Marvel Oil It Works Hope This Helps You Some Also My 2000 TC Had 250,000 When I Sold It And It Still Ran Like New
  • izaclown1izaclown1 Member Posts: 118
    I get 22-24 on Interstate and 16-18 around town. If the fluids have been changed, it should run right on. 100,000 is the tune up and belt change time. That will be addition cash outlay. Depending on who does it, $1000 give or take a $100 or so. My 2000 was around 115000 or so, wrecked (not my fault). I have 96k on mine now. I have the Cartier with the dual exhaust. I like it better, little more 'umph' in the take off and passing. Adds like 30 extra hp or so. My dad has a 97 (old style) with 135,000 on his and it drives like the day he bought it in 1999.
  • rwdfanrwdfan Member Posts: 15
    Great info folks, thanks. Wow, $1,000 for the belt change and tune up is kinda high for me, I will go in the next few days take a look in two cars I found near Chicago. A 2003 Signature with 76,500 miles and a 2004 Ultimate with 78,000 miles. At least it will take me a couple of years before the 100,000 miles tune up. Is it that difficult to change the time belt and the tune up ?
    I had everything done for the $1k. Plugs, wires, belt (one belt), fluids, the works. The Ultimate would be nice if you have the cash. The belt is expensive if I remember correctly.
  • 72towncar72towncar Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    We are trying to sell my father's old town car. He has kept it in very good condition, covered. Runs well, and has a 460 motor in it. It is a 2 door Black with Black Leather seats. All Original.
    Can you help us with how to best do this please. Are there some good web sites to both use and avoid?
    Thanks,
    Ron
    Thanks to everyone that replied to my message. I just got back a couple of hours ago from picking up my Town Car.... :):):D . For the past couple of weeks I nailed down 7 cars that I was interested considering year, price, general condition and miles. Yesterday I ran a car fax in all of them and what a surprise, of the 7 only 4 were completely clean, 2 were in accidents with moderate damage and 1 had a salvage title. I got on the phone and contacted 2 dealerships of the 4 cars that I was interested and.....I end up buying a 2003 Signature with 76,500 miles, silver birch color, it's a 2 owner car (I'm the 3rd now) and previous owner had it for 4 years, from the same city I got it (Springfield, IL area). I'm in Indianapolis and drove 230 miles for it. It's a Lincoln dealer and the car is in a very good shape....I drove it back and it was a nice trip home....I'll take it easy now and continue to see if there is anything I have to do on the car the next few weeks..... I'll continue to post here and in the maintenance area with questions.... ;) Thanks again. Next step now, an oil change next week.
    Welcome to the club. You will enjoy driving it.
    Hi there. I just sold my car last week in order to by a Lincoln Town Car. I always had very good results with Autotrader (autotrader.com) and the local craigslist (just be careful with scams on craigslist). Take a few pictures and post them, the Autotrader listing stays there until the car is sold, which is a great deal for around $30.00. Good luck! ;)
    Thanks for the tips euphonium but my budget was $9,000 max. I got a 2003 well under my budget !!! It was not easy, it took lots of time searching, than calling, than checking history and than negotiating with the seller. I'm more relaxed now. The ones you find sounds great, perhaps an upgrade some years down the road....
    Thank you. By the way, congratulations on your Cartier, sounds like a beautiful car.....good to know your dad has 135,000 on his and still running strong.
  • mrlaw10mrlaw10 Member Posts: 8
    Congratulations on the purchase of your new Lincoln. The one thing I suggest you do to all cars upon purchase is to have all rubber products under the hood checked. This means hoses and belts. While you're at it checking the oil make sure you check the automatic transmission fluid as well or better yet change it and filter to give yourself a fresh start. I envy you I've yet to find a good older model Lincoln and I want.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    I Second the suggestions to check all rubber parts under the hood and to change all fluids in the engine, transmission, & rear axle. For the engine, Mobil 1 Synthetic is recommended. For the transmission Mercon V, semi synthetic will go a long way, but it is expensive compared to the standard oil. The air filter element could be due as well.

If you want to preserve the life of those little power window motors, close the doors gently.

You made a very good buy on a very good Lincoln. :):)
    Thank you for the tips. I'm driving it daily and everything is good so far. I will have to check on one thing, the rear view mirror "shakes" a little when driving on the city, it's very stable on highway or a very smooth road, is there a bolt there to fasten it ? Have you had a similar problem ? So far this is the only minor issue and to be frank I have not had time to stop and take a detailed look at it. I really like the car and the features it has....
    The adjustment on holding the RV mirror may require an Allen wrench is my guess.
    I just did it, not even an allen wrench was required. I disassembled it and put it back together making sure it was really well assembled and you hear a "click" noise when it's properly installed. Done! The car is looking better every day taking care of these little things that the former older did not have the time or did not care to fix. Just waxing the car made a HUGE difference.... ;)
  • borlaborla Member Posts: 2
    Have this ever happen to you here im in my 2007 towncar shining, tires gleaming
    looking sporty when all of a sudden what pulls long side of me a beat up towncar taxey cab yellow at that, no hub caps dirty windows all cloudy, that burns me up. Lincoln is a prestigest name and too destroy like that [ WOW]
    Your example is why I refused to sell my previous Town Car to a local cab company. ;)
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    I don't blame you, euphonium...I would do the same...It's a pity the way some TCs are kept, even by some livery cab drivers. I agree!

Bravo!

Peace!<-AladdinSane<- :shades: -
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    I have really enjoyed my Town Car Limited with Sunroof, is a 2005 model with 34,000 miles and is running like new. I am hoping that the car will be continued in to the 2010 model year but wondered if anyone has seen an official announcement regarding whether Lincoln is planning to continue this awesome car in to the next model year.
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    I hope there is a 2010 Town Car. The MKS is no Town Car replacement with its hard ride, vibrating steering wheel, and torque steer. But Ford needs to update the TC badly and maybe shrink it slightly to the size of a Cadillac DTS.

An aquaintance leased a new loaded AWD MKS and now he can't wait to get out of it. He can't stand its ride, though it's very pretty in all white. Told him to try Swapalease.com.
    If I had your car, I'd drive it another 100,000 miles before buying a speculated down sized, shrunk TC replacement. At present you have a great car to drive and keep.
  • gseterrygseterry Member Posts: 13
    Sorry for not being part of this newer group. My LTC is a 120K 99 from Florida and I drive it every day 71 miles round trip to work at the Detroit Metro Airport. Without blogging on and on, let me say I just plain LOVE my TC.
    It (or I maybe) is going to have to die before I could part with it. :sick:
    Now about a NEW 2010 TC? Obviously I live in the Detroit area and have passed through FORD Home Country every day these past 8 years. Heading in to work at 5am - 5 days a week I get to see some interesting rides out on the local E/ways being tested by Ford folks. Some in the total darkness illuminated by the street lights or faint early dawn. :shades:
    I can also say I have seen about every new Blue Oval model at least 2 to 5 months prior to release or anouncement going through its paces.
    Sorry to say I have NOT seen anything to even suggest a continuation of our LTC. Then again, when you have it PERFECT already you may not need to road test a NEW one. There may be a 2010 after all.......?
    I have now seen (1st time was this morning) this new Lincoln "Q" ship the MK-T?? A bit too much like an SUV but still very nice in all Black and Medium Blue/Gray, the 2 I saw in todays "Dawn's Early Light".
    Nothing like a Ford Flex either. Looks very unique to Lincoln.
    My only issue with the past few years in the Lincoln lines is the grille. Too big. Too gaudy. Looking too much more and more like some Cartoon Character.
    Reminds me of the recent Ford 500's. They had a very neat almost retro grille. Looked just right. :)
    Now its a Taurus again and the Ford Line Corporate Signiture 3 wide bar grille just cheapens its look. I left the showroom without buying. :(
    Later gang,
    Terry
    Once the a TC is paid for, repairs are relatively cheap compared to buying a new car. I hope my Cartier gives up the ghost way way down the road. 100k+ and still rolling like it was new.
    Let us know when Lincoln puts in a Lincoln engine (5.4L) followed by a 6 speed AOD. The present 12 year old body and frame needs IRS so as to grab me.

I have always resented driving a TC with a CV Ford engine & only a 4 speed AOD.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    Let us know when Lincoln puts in a Lincoln engine (5.4L) followed by a 6 speed AOD.

The TC will get this about the same time that the devil's residence has a fresh blanket of snow. ;)

I am amazed at the loyal following the TC still has. It is really too bad that the car was not updated a few years ago. Updating the body using the long wheelbase version with shortened overhangs, the engine/transmission combination that you mention, and the availability of the techology found on other Lincoln models might have kept the old girl relevant awhile longer.
  • gortiz3gortiz3 Member Posts: 4
    Sup Guys! Looks like we all have some good tastes around here when it comes to luxurious horsepower anyway there is a 1995 Lincoln Towncar Cartier I am looking to buy. Currently the odometer reads around 209,xxx miles. The paint is still a light tan glossy and the interior white leather shows some wear and tear, not too much. It even comes with a sunroof which works fine. All matching hubcaps, good tire tread (70%), AC and heater, power seats and all windows except one work. The price tag was originally $1900, but has been dropped to $1300.

What concerns me is the acceleration. I'll gas it lightly and it'll take somewhat of a while to speed up. The first gear hits around 14-18 mph. Then I feel another at 26-28 mph. They are quick and you feel the pull. On my brother's 91 TC (160K miles) the gear shifts are smooth and you have to feel for them though. Also the engine's rpm (the 95 TC) will shoot up for some time before 3rd gear comes in then it levels off. Upwards 50mph+ its good. The lady claims her husband took care of it regularly. Is it wear and tear or is it something more simple? any help is appreciated. I need some wheels for work.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    100,000 miles is nothing. I rode recently in a livery company Town Car out of Newark airport to Morris Plains and the car rode silently and comfortably. It was an 02 with 290,000 miles. The car I rode in back to the airport was an 05 with 200,000 miles. The driver expected that the company would keep the cars for several more years. They just follow the factory recommended maintenance schedule -oil changes at 3,000 miles etc. I want to tell you - these cars felt like new ones. Even the leather looked and felt good. I have an 03 DeVille and when I get another car next year I'm really toying with the idea of getting a year or so old Town Car. I really don't like the looks of the new DTS and you can't beat the dependability of a Town Car judging from the livery ones around NY.
  • 99towncarexec99towncarexec Member Posts: 160
    I just sold my 99 anniversary (executive series) T/C today.I was on my way to CT. to buy a 94 sig series for 1700 bucks.100K,a little rust on the back wheel well and a little rough passenger seat leather.Moonroof,landau carraige half roof.Pearl white.I much prefer the old body style Lincoln t/c's.I gave the new body style a 1 year test run.It's back to the real Lincoln t/c for this guy!I drove Limos in NYC metro area for 20 years in Lincolns and crown Vic's and Grand Marquis and they are well built mechanically speaking and I would not hesitate to by an older Lincoln for a minute.The fact that when I get in a LINCOLN T/C with any kind of mileage,be it in excess of 100k,or 70k or new,they all ride like they just left the showroom floor! :shades:
    As the original owner of a 94 Signature,we are not shopping for a replacement vehicle. Below is the list of repairs and maintenence performed. It has never been in a crash, has the factory paint and interior, always garaged & never loaned. Gas = 89 octane, 25+ mpg highway. Wish List: 100 more hp and 6 Speed Automatic, not available in '94 nor today either. :)

59756 2/6/98 Michelin X1 tires (still on the car)
    70970 7/28/98 Rear brake calipers/pads
    98000 11/28/01 Pinion bearings and gears
    102520 6/17/02 A/C Compressor & Dryer
    108061 5/5/04 Battery replaced (most recent)
    108597 6/22/04 MAF Sensor / Fuel filter
    111557 8/16/04 One Michelin X1 tire (due to a flat)
    132042 2/28/07 Transmission oil change (most recent)
    133401 6/15/07 Front Bilstein shocks (first time replaced)
    136387 1/22/08 Oil Change (Mobil 1) uses 1 qt. 1500 miles
    138691 6/25/08 AIR Filter (most recent)
    138873 7/2/08 Spark plugs & Wires (most recent)
    141500 10/9/08 Front brake pads (most recent)
    142100 01/19/09 Coolant flush & fill 2 gallons (most recent)
    142300 02/26/09 Wipers (most recent)
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    I spoke with someone at Lincoln customer relations earlier today and was told that there would be a 2010 Town Car. The person did not have details but said there would be some changes.

I was at the local dealership recently and some of the sales people felt that the MK series by it self would leave Lincoln with a less than
    stellar line up. The feeling about the MK cars is that they do not meet the needs that the typical Town Car buyer is looking for (myself included).

The Lincoln rep. also stated that one of the major reasons for bringing the car back in 2010 was the the loyalty and demand of current owners and other interest in the car.
  • huskieshuskies Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Town Car, Signature, 73K, champagne color, excellent condition and asking $9,500. Please contact me at my email address.
  • monzairmonzair Member Posts: 5
    We love our 2000 TC for its comfort, but I don't like driving it at night because of its weak headlights. The beams are yellowish and don't reach out far enough, even after I aimed them higher (easy with a 4 mm socket, per the owner's manual).

Have any of you installed better, brighter bulbs (but not those blue HIDs)? And/or have you found driving lights that fit decently and make a nice difference?

--Tom in Ohio
    Visit an "Off Road" accessory shop. They should have the bright bulb to replace what you have. The bulb may say, "For off road use only", but that's what you will want. ;)
    Thanks for the idea. I'd kinda like to keep 'em street-legal, but I will check out what such stores have.

--Tom in Ohio
    Our 2000 TC's defroster struggles to clear the windshield and cannot clear much of the fog from the side windows. This happens in rain and cold weather, and with two or four people in the car.

The air blowing onto the windshield is warm and the blower seems to be working, though the flow to side glass seems weak. Any ideas about what's wrong?

--Tom in Ohio
    During inclement weather with occupants talking a lot while wearing wet clothes can challenge any defroster system. We endure such situations when returning from a day of skiing. Wet ski jackets, excited kids, & precip hitting the W/S contributes to your condition. It helps to crack the front windows half an inch & turn the defroster fan on Extreme fast. Asking the passengers to keep their mouths shut is expecting too much! ;)
  • marmolmarmol Member Posts: 1
    Have a 1999 Lincoln TC w/38k miles! My battery indicator light appears for a brief period of time after engine has warmed up. Battery has been replaced yet light still appears. Alternator has been tested twice with no abnormalties. Voltage is at 14. Any ideas? Thank you.
  • msledge50msledge50 Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2010
    I have a 99 town car and its doing the same thing,So i replace the battery and i clean the terminals, The alternator was tested good,The battery never goes dead its getting a charge and holding it,But i think i'm gonna change the serpentine belt next in case its slipping sometimes. :sick:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to speak to recent a Lincoln buyer who switched from another luxury car brand. Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Tuesday, April 20, 2010.
    Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• AlsBroncoIIAlsBroncoII Member Posts: 2
    My rear air bag suspension failed on my 96 town car signature series. I removed the air bags and installed coil springs, but I am needing to turn off the light on the dash. I have turned off the switch in the trunk and unplugged the sensor on the rear end and unplugged the fuse and relay for the compressor and the light is still on. Is there anything else i can do :confuse:
    Small piece of electrician's tape over the light. ;)
  • littlebudlittlebud Member Posts: 2
    My neighbors 83 Towncar has the following indications: fuel gauge reads empty, (it is full), there are 2 bare wires at base of carb (about 4 inches) they have 12 volts and go to the carb, there is no fuel from the tank and no sound from pump. I tried the pump reset in trunk nothing. Any ideas on trouble shooting? Is there a fuse? This lady just wants to hear the car run again, she is in her mid 80's and I just want to help her out. I have some experience, but not with the fuel system in this vehicle. Thanks for any and all assistance.
    edited July 2010
    Our 82 had circuit breakers on the driver side under the hood in addition to the fuses under the dash. Sometimes disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, will enable the electrics to reset. While the battery is disconnected, clean the terminals and cables.
  • kirk555kirk555 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a used 2003 Lincoln Town Car which has the jittery ride you may be referring to. Even the slightest bump makes the suspension shudder...especially in the rear. A 2001 towncar I had test ridden earlier was ultra smooth by comparison. Can anyone suggest a fix?
    edited May 2011
    Did you not detect the shudder when you test drove the 03????

Put the 03 up on a hoist and use an air wrench on every nut and bolt you see under the car, keeping in mind the torsion for each as you go.

Start with the exhaust system, muffler clamps, Cat clamps, tail pipes clamps.
  • meandmyababymeandmyababy Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking for a push bumper for my 93 lincoln town car... do you have any idea where i can find one online? I am desperate! :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with recent buyers of a new Lincoln. If you care to share your comments, please send an email, including your daytime contact info, to pr@edmunds.com by Friday, August 12.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• deweyrdeweyr Member Posts: 1
    You replaced the air bags with coil springs. What was the cost for the coil springs relative to the cost of repairing the air suspension system?
  • ortautoortauto Member Posts: 13
    My 04 T.C. Limited has chrome and SS on it including the pillars. Be very careful cleaning these items as they are all clear coated chrome and subject to scratching if you use anything other than what you clean the rest of the clear coated car with. Check the owners manual on any other years to confirm. This includes the factory chrome wheels.
  • j5bailj5bail Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone i am looking how to remove passanger door panel i have read alot on how but where they say there are screws there is no screws and and i cant figure out how to pry off the covers to door strap without damaging any help would be great thanks.