Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• txlitxli Member Posts: 4
    try http://www.arnottindustries.com/. I ordered one air bag (about $100 including shipping) for my 94 TC last week. It is new one with 36K miles warranty. I will install it this weekend. I think it is the cheapest new one I could find.

Good luck.
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    FWIW, if Ford did kill off Lincoln, it wouldn't be any quicker or unexpected than how fast they killed off the T-Bird. T-Bird engineers already had the '98's ready to go into production when word came from on high '97 would be the last year. I can't beleive, however, the Twon Car is the only thing selling. With cars like the Navigator and the LS, Lincoln has got to be moving a lot more cars than Mercury, and Ford is currently pouring so many resources into Mercury that there's no way they will kill it in the forseeable future, so I kinda think Lincoln is safe.
  • joker2108joker2108 Member Posts: 30
    JOHNNY LINC

Am I understanding what you wrote? You are saying that since there are 2003 models back in NY that Lincoln is here to say. Oldsmobile went out and they are still trying to hang on with limted models and production. I am going to call Lincoln and find out. This he said she said stuff is driving me nuts.
  • johnnylincjohnnylinc Member Posts: 308
    You asked:

"IS it true that Lincoln will stop all productions end of this year?"

I replied:

"Lincoln is absolutely, positively, unequivocally NOT going out of business. No way, no how, period."

Let me see if I can be more clear: No, Lincoln is NOT stopping "productions" at the end of this year. Have you seen any credible, verifiable information anywhere that would suggest otherwise? Is this even being hinted at by any reputable automobile magazine or writer, or by any source other than 2 limo owners that you know?

I don't understand why you bothered to post your question here if you're not going to believe the answers you've gotten, but I suppose that's your prerogative.

If you want to contact Lincoln directly, I urge you to do so. Lincoln's Customer Assistance Center number is 1-800-521-4140. If you go to the Lincoln website at http://www.lincolnvehicles.com and click on the "Contact us" link, you can verify this phone number and also get a mailing address should you wish to write.

Once again, in answer to your question, Lincoln is NOT going out of business!

• rory2rory2 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a 1997 Executive with 90K miles. Please advise of most likely repair/maintenance, items/cost that I will probably be confronted with. I want to budget a reserve amount sufficent for repairs so that I have no negative surprises.
    Thank you in advance.
    David
    The entire Ford Motor Company is going out of business, effective immeadiately. Starting tomorrow, Chevrolet will be making Mustangs. Lexus will get the Town Car, and Honda will take over production of F-150 trucks. Thunderbirds go to Dodge, and the Cougar will now be made by Acura.
    William Clay Ford will now be the CEO of Mrs. Baird's Bread company, and Jacques Nasser is currently hiding out from blue oval faithful somewhere in the Phillipines.

Have a nice day.
    I like to thank you, Kinley. I checked the rear axle lube fluid by myself. It was empty. I did not see foam or fluid. I added some gear lube ( 80w-90). Hope that will do it. I hope that every one with 70K mile TC has to get it checked.
    I also change one of my rear air bags last weekend. It was not too difficult. It took me about 1 1/2 hours.
  • kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    Check axle fluid now. Plan on a set of plug wires. Is the front end squeeking yet? The factory sealed joints cost about $200 to replace. Up to 97,000 miles our TC was fine, but nothing goes forever w/o maintenance of replacing worn parts. Good Luck.
    TC 94, 73K. There is a little squeeking when I turn steer during my parking. I just wonder if I need to add grease at ball joint or has to replace the rubber cover also, or any other area I need to add grease.
    For the rear axle fluid, I did add more gear lube at differential. Any other place?
    Thanks
    right upper and lower. Yesterday I had the left lower ball joint replaced due to the squeek and it cost $170 including "correct alignment" Labor is $55/hour at an independent shop. The owner/mechanic R & R'd the factory sealed joint with one having a grease fitting. (One down, three to go), but who knows when. The idle air control valve sounds like a ship's fog horn, but only at cold idle. If it gets to me as much as the squeek did, that will be replaced as well. We just returned from a 1,000 mile ski vacation in B.C. averaging 24.5 mpg, less than 70 mph in quiet luxury. Total miles? 101,800.
    http://autos.yahoo.com/usedcars/index.html

search for TC

Thanks Kinley

• warzonectx2warzonectx2 Member Posts: 7
    how fast can the Lincoln Towncar go. can it get up to 120!. !hmmm! i know the Lincoln Towncar needs a Vortec engine so it can go fast or the 4.7 is fast i do not know so tell me!
  • lando2lando2 Member Posts: 12
    I was replacing the rear brake pads (driverside) when I noticed a leak from a rubber hose clamped to a nipple on the axle (Drivers' side). The hose did not connect to any thing and the fluid kinda looks like hydrolic (or lube). What in the world is it? Is it connected to the axle gear fluid?
    Help a TC owner out...
    Hasn't this guy been here before? OK, the Town Car is not a Corvette. It's not meant to go 120. It's meant to take little old ladies to the church picnic without turning over the pot of peas in the back floorboard. If you really want a car that can go 120, get a Corvette or a Camaro. And please don't drive that fast on the public freeways.
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    S= square root of (IQ + $a)
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    It sounds like you are describing the vent tube for the rear axle. It prevents pressure inside the assembly from blowing out seals. A little residue around that is pretty common.
  • drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    coming and it will be very likely threatening to Ford. A welcome news also to most towncar fans. I referring to Infiniti M45.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    joker 2108

I need a response to the email I sent you two days ago. Thanks.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The 2003 Town Car arrived at alot of dealerships this week....would like to hear some consumer opinions.

BTW: don't judge the car without driving it, the ride and drive is different from last year.
    new 2002 Towncars for $29,995. In your opinion, is the list of improvements on the 2003 worth the many thousands of dollars difference? IMO, the TC still needs 300+ hp to compete with Cadillac and 235 is only adequate.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    I haven't driven a 2003 yet so I won't comment directly on the ride and drive. I am a big fan of the styling of the current generation Town Car. I have to say, though, that IMHO, the grille on the new model is less distinctive than before and not an improvement.

The other changes sound like genuine improvements but until it is available with the 4.6 DOHC engine and there is a bucket seat/console option, I will stick with my LS.
    I drove the car today...We are all in agreement that extra HP would be nice. We were wondering why they didn't use the 302 hp V8 that the aviator is getting.

The 2003 has a quiter ride, we all noticed this right away. The rack and pinion steering is a big improvement. The car does not wander as much as the previous TC. The interior is much "dressier" than the 2002. Also, the traditional Lincoln "float" is still there but much less body roll. Trunk size is clearly bigger.

The hood ornament is back, standing tall on the hood. makes docking the TC easier. The back up sensors are a must, rear visability when backing up is a bit limited.

overall we feel they did a nice job...It's easy to second QB the re-design and somethings could be a little different but the car is worth a look. Most TC buyers will be happy with the changes
  • jerrym3jerrym3 Member Posts: 202
    This option still available? I don't think so.
  • johnnylincjohnnylinc Member Posts: 308
    I just saw three '03 Town Cars at a local dealership. One was an ivory Cartier, and the other two were white pearl Signatures. One Sig had the two-tone lower paint with the light & dark stone interior, and the other was all white with the light & dark parchment interior. (None were Premium models.)

My impression is that it's a very attractive car; it looks a bit longer than the '02 TC, probably due to the reshaped trunk & hood. I like the new front & rear treatments; the styling is obviously an evolution of the previous model, but different enough that it's instantly recognizable as an '03. I didn't much care for the chrome Cartier wheels--so many chrome wheels nowadays remind me of those cheap Kmart plastic wheel covers, and I'd put the Cartier's in that category. That's just personal opinion, of course. The hood ornament is odd, too; it's tilted back toward the windshield rather than being vertical. It probably will be a useful parking aid, though.

There were a couple of '03 Grand Marquis models, a GS and an LS Ultimate, sitting next to the TCs; while there's a definite corporate heritage, I don't see the front-end styling as being THAT similar when the cars are side by side.

The dealership was closed, so I couldn't get in, but the new instrument panel looks very nice to me--very classy. While the window sticker indicates that it's a 6-passenger car, I don't see how this is possible. The front seats look like rather flat buckets, with a fold-down armrest in the middle. The area beneath the armrest is definitely not large enough for an adult, and it doesn't appear to be padded seating material, either. It looked like there was a third seat-belt anchor, but I don't see how it could be useable. Seems a bit odd. Overall, though, the interior looks quite nice.

While it's not my kind of car (my parents have a '99 Cartier, which they like very much), I think Lincoln did a fine job carrying on the TC tradition, at least from a styling/design standpoint. It'll be interesting to drive one some day & see what they've done mechanically & ergonomically.
    I like the 03, but not enough to buy one (now).

Looking at the deals on the 2002s, it's tough to equate getting the first 2003 on the block as opposed to possibly saving thousands of dollars next spring, especially if you're like me and keep a car for minimum ten years.

Dealer popped the trunk, which is huge. Smaller spare now stands upright in the right quarter panel.

Wheels are ugly, as are the TBirds. (They do look like K Mart plastic hubcaps.)

Interior is dressed up nicely.

Under the category, "you get what you pay for", try bending the TC grille and then try the same thing to the GM. GM bends very easily, TC doesn't budge.

Too bad they couldn't do something with the roofline, a sore thumb, IMHO. (I'm not wild about the CV/GM roofline, either.) They should have jumped up the HP. Heck, if General Motors can put a supercharger in a Buick, what happened, Ford?????

Also, I love black cars, but, buy a black TC, and everybody in the neighborhood thinks you started a second job as a limo driver.
    I've twice driven the bride and groom from the church to the reception . If it was to be borrowed for a funeral, I'd mount the hitch so the deceased could "take it with him/her." No luggage racks though.
  • houndoghoundog Member Posts: 21
    Many of us love the TC, but it will never gain market share until FORD offers at least 300hp (even as a performance option). The Caddy has had 300hp for years, and will soon move up even higher - also will go to RWD soon. Unless the TC makes some substantial changes to the drivetrain, market share will continue to decline. If the Lincoln dealers did not have the LS models to sell, they would be in real trouble. The LS and Navigator have saved the dealers for now, but this has done nothing for the Town Car. The 2003 has some nice cosmetic changes, but the powertrain is still the same - BIG upgrade needed for 2004.
    How much additional are we willing to pay for a 300 hp "Performance Option"? Considering it would replace the existing Single Overhead Camshaft, it should be a $250 additional option as the Mark VIII engine would meet the demand. Are you willing to pay more? if so, how much?
    Lincoln should realize that this car is a LINCOLN, not a plain CV or GM. The motor should be different than the motor in those cars.

I'd hate to see the TC go the way of the Continental as buyers realize that they can buy the CV/GM and basically get the same car mechanically at a lot less cost..

I'd be willing to pay a few thousand more for a 2003 Lincoln "LSE" with a body colored grille (not completely), 300 HP DOHC engine, 3:55 rear, and body colored plate on the rear decklid.

I'd even push for the buckets and console. (Buyers purchasing Lincolns are probably in an age bracket where a full six passenger sedan is no longer needed.)

Call it the Lincoln LSE Touring Sedan, and make mine black!
  • houndoghoundog Member Posts: 21
    The TC should be able to do a complete performance upgrade for $2000 to $2500 - i.e. 300hp motor(Marauder), 3.55 rear end with posi, upgrade tires, Bilstien shocks, HD stabilizer bars, etc, etc. These type of upgrades cost almost nothing at the factory level. Ford will still make a nice profit on every one they sell. If they are really smart, go with the 5.4 tuned for max torque, and around 300 to 325hp. Stick with regular gas, or go to 89 octane max. If you want to be competitive, you have to raise the bar. The TC cannot always lag behind, time to step out in front.
    I agree the car should be more of a stand out...but Everyone forgets that fleet dictates what the town car gets. Limo/Livery companies essentially dictate to Ford what will and wont be on the T/C
    Until Lincoln decides that they want to retail the T/C to people and not Fleet, the car will not be a world class competator in the luxury segment.
    The T/C is Certainly a nice car but with a rather limited retail market in its current form.

The Lincoln LS is proof they have the ability to build something that will compete with the best out there...I just wish the whole Lincoln Brand would move away from fleet and become a real luxury brand...

oh, btw. My friend who is a auto writer/radio personality called me today. He drove the new 2003 jaguar at the press intro yesterday. He was totally gushing positive things about the car.
    I agree that Lincoln can't forget the fleet market, but if Mercury can make a Marauder, it would probably take the same, or less, effort for Lincoln to make a TC LSE Touring Edition. If Mercury can do it for limited production (15,000 cars), why can't Lincoln?

Why direct the domestic luxury buyer that wants a little more performance or individuality towards Cadillac?

Which Jag was tested? The S V8 or the S R?
    to move their barges up and down the blvds.
  • xlegendxlegend Member Posts: 3
    I have heard that Lincoln does intend to come out with a 300hp TC. I also heard that it will have a center console making it a 5 passenger car. Can anyone verify any of the above? The 2003 Town Car claims to have greater trunk space but when you read the specifications it is the same size as the 2002 Town Car which is 20.6 cubic ft. What gives?
    All I can say about the trunk space is that putting the mini spare vertical in the right quarter panel "dead" space clears up the whole shelf where the spare used to reside. Maybe we're just getting more usable space.

Where did you hear about a 300hp/bucket seat TC?
    The 2004/2005 model year will be Lincoln's defining moment...as it stand this is when the "real" totally redesigned cars hit the market.

jerry.... it was the S R
    I'm going to price out the Jag S V8 this weekend. Really not interested in the S-R.

With a few tweaks, they could have offered a very interesting TC.
  • mpowers3mpowers3 Member Posts: 2
    Is it me, or does this sound like a really bad idea? I mean, "Suddenly press on the brakes = instant maximum braking force" doesn't sound like it would be very safe for the people following you.
    adjusting the seat to allow more room for the rear seat passenger, the driver's knee touches the dashboard. Turn to the Towncar, junk the Jag.
  • rcole13825rcole13825 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all.

I am looking at a few used TC's. From the looks they really go the distance for life of a car. I see quite a few that have very high mileage lifes way into the +100,000 I have even seen some with +170,000 miles.

How ever I did see some negative postings on the Kelly Blue Book site on the Trans of the 1999 & 2000 TC's.

Seeing as this is just one posting I wanted to get more info from TC drivers.

I am starting a new company and have to wine & dine clients.(there goes my sports car) As it is a new company I have to watch my spending and I have seen some very good prices on used TC's. I believe the TC can present a great image without costing me a ton.

What year & model would you suggest?
    important as you behaving your natural self. Using proper manners, grammar, and listening more than talking helps when always dressed appropriately for the occasion. Just be sure the sedan is clean inside and out, doesn't smell bad and you drive safely. Having been in commission sales, I learned it's not what you drive that is very important. Know your product very well is also a requirement besides knowing the competition and you never knock your competition. Good Luck. As for a particular Lincoln, consider the Towncar that appeals to you and your tastes. That choice will reflect the real you and not a poser or imager.
  • townmantownman Member Posts: 2
    Is it my imagination or air turbulence.Im experiencing loud air noise when I hit 40 M.P.H.and up. I have a 2001 LTC.E-series. I took back to dealer and they said it was turbulence. Anybody out there have this problem? Please respond
    more wind noise than their previous models. Perhaps the design difference between the 97's and later years is the cause.
  • gkarggkarg Member Posts: 230
    Sounds like you ought to be able to try and isolate the noise to either the windsheild or side windows.

Try checking your weatherstripping seals and such around the doors - maybe they're not lining up right.

I know on the Lincoln LS forum - some new owners mentioned that the side windows were not closing completely - so they took the cars back to the dealers and they re-aligned the window tracks and now the cars are quiet - they really should be air tight!
  • victorvmaxvictorvmax Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Responding to rcole's question about high mileage lincolns, we have one with over 150k and it is still extremely dependable. It's a '91, the first year with the overhead cam engine. I would avoid the older 351's as they are old tech and not fuel efficient. A lot of little things crap out an an older car, especially the unnecessary power stuff. Our biggest gripe however, is the paint. The clear coat has totally failed and the burgandy paint is now failing. It just isn't worth repainting the car. The lighter colors don't seem to have this affliction.
    I think that the styling has held up well and it is still an inpressive car. good luck, Ron
    My 1989 Signature has over 126,000 miles and is still quiet as a mouse (302 engine). Car does not burn any oil. (I change the oil/filter myself every 3,000 miles.)

I did have to get the trans rebuilt at about 105,000, but, except for a water pump, the motor has never been apart. Car eats mufflers, though (duals; too many short trips)

With same rear end ratio and tire size, the TC takes grades better than my 4.6 1994 TBird, and (load leveler suspension) is much more solid.

If I could just get usaed to the new styling, I'd buy another one without a doubt (IMHO, 2003 styling is a definite improvement.)
  • jacob9jacob9 Member Posts: 1
    I've heard some reports of poor A/C performance on the 2003 TC - has anybody driven this vehicle (especially in a hot climate) and seen this?
  • townmantownman Member Posts: 2
    The noise is more profound on passenger side than drivers. Cannot isolate exactly where. I took back to dealer and they keep telling me air turbulence.2001exTown car.Does anybody have suggestion.Thanks!!
  • kcrnmalekcrnmale Member Posts: 47
    The 6 disc CD changer in the trunk cost almost $600.00 from the dealer. The player is pre-wired to the trunk. Does anyone know who manufactures the CD changers for Lincoln or know an equivalent that can be connected using a wire adaptor to the prexisting wiring? I'm not interested in the changers that convert the signal to FM. Thanks for any input!