Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• jerrym3jerrym3 Member Posts: 202
    I know that the TC is not a high performance vehicle, but Car & Driver's 0-60 of 9.5 is pathetic for a car these days.

Hard to believe that the extra 200 pounds made that much difference.

Too bad, because the 03 is a nice remake of the not-too-pretty 02.
  • kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    experience with acceleration 40 years ago considered 0 to 60 in less than 10 seconds to be pretty good, 9.5 is outstanding to Gramps. Yet, there are some of us who would purchase the 'Power' option for an additional $250. That 'Power' option of course would be the engine currently in the MM. Let's wait until May 03 and see how much the factory rebates them. Replacing the Autumn Red with Vivid Red as on the LS would be an improvement as well.
    Sorry, I don't buy the argument that today's grandpa doesn't care about performance.

I'm not a grandparent, but I'm old enough to be one. Most of the guys I know at my age still want a little bit of zoom-zoom.

Remember, we were the 60's gearheads.

That's why Lincoln's going to have some real problems in the future. Except for the LS, which, frankly, is something most guys my age may not be interested in, they are forgetting that the upcoming TC buyers are a different breed of driver.

Mercury had the right idea with the Marauder, but shortchanged the Musclecar image, according to the roadtests.

Still a nice car and a worthy effort.
    which is why the MM engine should be a $250 option on the TC. If it is true that most buyers of TC's are not private individuals then perhaps the present engine satisfies those firms who buy most of the TC's. If that's true, we're stuck with a docile engine in a super sized Mercury.
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    I've mentioned this before, but does anybody know when Ford is going to introduce its five speed automatic in the F-Series line? Are there any plans to incorporate this transmission into the TC/GM/CV lines? This transmission may address some (not all) of the acceleration problems.
    Went tire kicking last night. Got a great proposal on a $45,130 2003 Signature for $38,214 (combination Z plan and factory incentive).

That's a great deal!!

Car had ww tires, and they didn't look bad on the Towncar. (Places more emphasis on the big tires and less on the wheels.)
    It has all I need. (While the DJA goes to 6,000 and the Techs to to 500.)
    Please, don't even joke like that. One more terrorist hit, and we're headed for big trouble, maybe near depression.

Almost everyone's in the market now, with 401Ks, IRA's etc, so we are all going to start to panic if the terrorists hit and the market plunges.
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    "...so we are all going to start to panic if the terrorists hit and the market plunges." - Jerry

It appears as if the terrorists need not strike to make the markets plunge, but I get your point. The luxury item sector is going to take a nasty blow if the well-off keep getting creamed in the stock market.

I saw a new black TC parked on the Capitol square today. The new nose is going to take a while to get used to, but the rest of the car is quite beautiful.
    I should have said "market plunges bigtime."

I took to the 2003 front right away; reminds me a bit of the LS. Too bad the Touring Sedan was dropped. Would have liked to see how the front end would look with more body color (or flat grey) and less chrome. With the vertical grille blades set an an angle, the grille almost looks solid chrome from head on.

I love the car in black, but there's just too many airport limos running around locally. I could settle for Silver Birch.
    Lincoln dropped it's price for a 2003 Signature by an additional $1,000 for present Lincoln owners.

MSRP $45,025; Z plan plus incentives price $37,214.

Latest $1,000 incentive may be short lived.

Very attractive price for someone who's Z plan eligible and looking for a plush touring sedan.
    is on the scene with four doors and a lot more in the performance area. Does the Marauder tempt you away from another Towncar?
    I guess I still have a lot of boy racer in me that would like to own the Marauder assuming 1) performance perks up a bit, and 2) the moonroof becomes available.

But, on the other hand, my father-in-law has a 94 Crown Vic (yes, I know it's not a Marauder type vehicle) and my 89 TC just totally outclasses that car.

It's nice, especially in the northeast, to be able to drive a car and not have to "dodge" potholes, frostheaves, rough pavement, etc.

I have to dodge these conditions with my 94 TBird; with the TC, I just cruise over them and listen to the "thump" of the 125,000 mile suspension.

So the Marauder (in November) could tempt me, but I have to consider down the road 5-6 years (or more).

Will I still enjoy a rougher riding performance sedan over a smooth cruiser when I'm in my mid 60's?

Damned if I know.

Now, a new TC and a new TBird sounds very compelling, but Wall Street has squashed that dream.
    My working years were not in a pension plan. I made my own retirement in the market plus SS. Outliving one's assets is not acceptable, but on the other hand I've never seen a hearse with a luggage rack or trailer hitch. For the last three or four years, near the end of the model run, nearby big city Lincoln dealers have been selling new Executive TC's for $29,988. If the market continues like it did yesterday, I'll be buying next Spring. Regarding the Marauder, I'll chose comfort over cocky. Was yesterday in the market a dead cat bounce or is the depression over?
    Since I happen to work for one of the top five brokerage houses (in technology), there are strict rules governing what an employee says about the market.

Local LM dealer has ten Merc Marauders on his lot.

Sign of the times.

Too bad I don't care to own a 2002 Continental. They must be going dirt "cheap".

One dealer is claiming 12K off list!!But, I haven't bothered to read the fine print.
    In the NW, dealers advertise "taking orders" for the Marauder and new TB's are plentiful at less than sticker. The local dealer who wanted 10 over at first, still has the car. Re: the market - I'm concerned about what the market will do when Iraq is invaded.
  • boppyboppy Member Posts: 3
    My 1993 Towncar loses power, coughs, lurches and comes to a stop on hills, and also when driven long distances in hot weather. The engine temperature remains normal, and the engine continues to run. The problem was diagnosed as a faulty mass air-flow sensor. After replacement the trouble recurred. The fuel filter and the fuel flow were checked, and found to be OK. Does the data base on Towncars indicate similar occurrences on this model? Is there a recommended solution for the problem?
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    " I'm concerned about what the market will do when Iraq is invaded. "

Invest in the companies that make smart-bombs and M-16 ammunition, and you won't have to worry.
  • marjermarjer Member Posts: 5
    Just traded a 2000 Cont. for a 2003 TC. They are still under powered. Wish they had Continental type seats with individual arm rests that move with the seats. The electrochromatic driver side mirror is great, it even dims (almost) those terrible blue headlights. Time for a trip to Pep Boys for a clip on tissue dispenser and sun glasses holder. I think I can modify the front ash tray unit to hide and hold a cell phone. The power point location on the TC is not good. About all they are used for is to recharge a cell phone. Cell phones fit nicely in the passenger arm rest on the Continental. On the TC the cell phone and wire sits on the floor which is a great theft target. It is comfortable but I miss that 275hp in case of an emergency. Hope the Continental comes back soon similar to the last ones but with new skin.
    I agree the defense industry should be part of one's portfolio i.e. Boeing,Lockeed, Browning and such.

MARJER: How does the handling compare now that the TC has rack and pinion steering?

BOPPY: Our 94 TC runs a lot better with a new set of plug wires at 98,000 miles. What's the miles on your odometer?
    What's your opinion of the Continental; plusses and minuses?

With the pssibility of getting a new 39K list Continental for the mid 20's OR LOWER, (12K off list + Ford Z plan + Lincoln owner discount) I just may pick up one and wait for the stock market to improve before buying a second car "toy" (2003 TBird or something else enjoyable to drive).

Price is just too good to ignore.
    The ignition wires were replaced at 93800 miles. The current behavior does act like an ignition problem where the sharp misses, such as a fouled plug, are quite distinctive. The car mileage is now 128000.
    The advice from Ford Motor is to take the car to
    a Lincoln dealer for service. Three dealer service departments have had a crack at the problem, and the problem has not been solved. That is the reason I am seeking help, before I spend more on in-effective service.
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    "The current behavior does act like an ignition problem where the sharp misses, such as a fouled plug, are quite distinctive."

Hmm...So have you pulled the plugs out & checked them visually? New ignition systems are getting to be extremely reliable, with plugs and wires being the weak points, and ignition wires are rapidly becoming obsolete with the advent of coil-on-plug ignitions. And other than chaning the metals to materials that last longer, spark plugs haven't changed a whole lot from the time they were invented. They're just begging for a high-tech replacement that no one has invented yet. That would be the next logical place to look, however. Sometimes, computer diagnostics are no replacement for putting eyeballs to parts and seeing what kind of shape they're in. As the old saying goes, if you want it done right, sometimes you ave to do it yourself.
    One word completely changes a sentence!!
    I left out the word "not".
    The sentence should have read "The current behavior does NOT act like an ignition problem, where----."
    Thanks for your input. I must be more careful in proof reading my transmissions.
  • papaw58papaw58 Member Posts: 1
    When we go 55 to 70 mph w/t air on I get a
    continous grinding noise right and left side. When I slow down to 55 it is ok. I even turned off the engine at 70 mph and the noise is still there. HELP PLEASE
  • rdirnerdirne Member Posts: 1
    I am using a friend's 1992 TC (177000 miles) for a couple of days and really like it. I love the spacious interior, the smooth ride, the V8 etc. It has better gas mileage than our mini van!

I am thinking of buying it...

However, it does have a couple of issues and I don't know what kind of repair cost I would be looking at.

1. Above 40 miles/hr there is a pretty severe vibration in the car which can be felt throughout the body and gets worse in the steering wheel when you make turns (more like a shudder). Would this just be unbalance in the wheels, or are we talking major overhaul of the steering system...

2. Only the high speed fan works in the A/C. If you put it anywhere between high or auto, nothing happens. Is that a separate fan that needs replacing?

3. Check engine light comes on occasionaly. Goes away after a while

4. Airbag light occasionaly comes on

5. What would be a reasonable price for this vehicle. Body is in great shape and I haven't discovered any other major flaws.

Any other things I should watch with this particular car at this mileage?

Would very much appreciate your input.

Thanks
  • navigator3740navigator3740 Member Posts: 279
    You asked for opinions - I owned 2, a 90 and a 92. Loved the style. Not very reliable cars, and I don't care for FWD. Too much torque steer and road motion transmitted to the driver. I understand they have become more reliable in recent years. I switched to a Mountaineer in 97 and a Navigator in 99, which I still have. I think the Continental has its place, but it's too small for my needs in the current design, and the FWD is a real bummer for me.
    If Audia still visits this site, it seems he works for Lincoln. I'm wondering why the current generation of Town Car has such a puny fan for the A/C? Doesn't blow any air, in Vegas, that's a problem! Does Lincoln know?
    My opinion: Town Cars are great for about 10 years, 150,000 miles. After that, they're gonna have issues. This one sounds like it does.

Vibration could be anything as minor as a bad tire separation to a warped drive line or sloppy bushings in the front end.

New blower motor probably needed. At the least, it may be the fan switch.

Check engine light means there is a component failing intermittantly in the engine somewhere. Needs to be scoped to see what. Probably not a big thing, but could be $200 pretty easily to fix.

Airbag light? Who knows?

$3500 would be top price I'd pay for it. This one is about done. IMO, I'd pass.
  • medic9983medic9983 Member Posts: 1
    Just yesterday I was looking at a 92 TC and the airbag light was lit on this one as well, though it was lit continuously. After performing a diagnostic test on the car, the dealer stated this was due to a spring inside the steering wheel which was worn out from the motion of the steering wheel turning over the past decade. He stated that the spring needed to be replaced before the airbag would deploy. It sounded as if the part was minor but the repair would be labor intensive...surprising as the only thing to do would be to remove the steering wheel...The shop manual probably quotes it as a 6 hr repair though...lol. This might be the same problem with your TC you are looking at. If you're partial to airbags, you might want to see if your seller wouldn't repair it for you. Best of luck!
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    your complaint about the A/C fan is the first.
    But I'm not in a very hot climate (connecticut)

maybe yours has a problem?? have you had it checked out??
    When will the Town Car have a Lincoln engine like the Cadillac has a Cadillac engine rather than the same basic engine that's in the Crown Victoria? For the last several years Cadillac has 300 hp and for 2003 the Towncar will have less than 240 hp. General Motors doesn't power their Cadillacs with Chevrolet engines. I know Lincoln has done this traditionally since 1980, but it's time Lincoln had a Lincoln engine. Why not use the same engine that's in the Marauder?
    I'm not sure if and when they plan on going to larger engine...Actually the only people who I hear asking about larger engines are Edmunds people. The consumers/buyers who are walking through the door seem to be happy with the 2003 T/C. Our sales are up quite a bit over 2002 T/C's...If the demand was there for a larger engine I'm sure they would come up with one.
    What's your opinion regarding the present Lincoln buyer opting for the Marauder just to get the performance? Any significant numbers yet?

In the last few years at the end of the model year, area Lincoln dealers have been selling Executive Towncars for $29,995. I intend to buy a 2003,True Blue, then. The LS has a Vivid Red, but not yet in the TC which is stuck with 'dried blood red', or Autumn Red. A Vivid Red TC with the Marauder engine would be just right.

Again, Thank you for your reply & have a great weekend.
    Wow. Yes, I have had it checked, but not believing the service department, I also checked several other new T/Cs from 98 - 2000 and beyond. They're all the same. Cold, but no air volume. In Vegas, where I live, everyone who gets into the car from May - Sept says, "what's wrong with your air conditioning?" It's just aenemic. I'm surprised you have no complaints, even in Conn. Must get warm there sometime.....
    Thanks anyway. I won't be buying a Town Car until this is fixed.
    We have not had any crossovers...We have sold 7 MM's and none of them were considering any Lincoln products...I guess there might be some people who might jump up to the T/C but we have not seen it...not even a consideration of our buyers.
  • linconrhymelinconrhyme Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to figure out how and what to replace the bushings in the nose gear of my window motors with, both motors run ok, I inspected the guts of the nose gear and found that the bushings surrounding the actual nose gear inside the white ring gear to be broke down into peices. any illustrations or part #s would be appreciated.
  • simmadownsimmadown Member Posts: 1
    I'm contemplating purchasing a 1998 Signature (dark grey w/grey leather interior), 45K miles, CD changer, heated seats/mirrors, moonroof, etc...pretty clean (extra chrome too) from dealer. First, they're assuring me it can be certified but Lincoln's web site says that at this moment only 99 and later vehicles can be certified. Anyone know the truth? Also are (were) there any significant problems with this model/year, as it was the first of the redesigned model.
    Any info will be greatly appreciated. Oh, and they're asking $18,995
    mechanics as the 97 & earlier models. Having taken a factory tour, Wixom, MI, I wouldn't worry about any Lincoln since '91. They are excellent rides. Don't concern yourself with the "wind" noise. That is due to the design of the door mirrors. Enjoy a fine automobile.
    I agree with Kinley. These are pretty much bullet proof cars. Unless it's been abused, you should be able to get 150,000 and 10 years old before it becomes very troublesome.
  • papapossumpapapossum Member Posts: 2
    Ford, I think uses the same window motor in all their products. I've replaced window motors in
    a 1981 T-Bird, a 1985 Lincoln and a 1987 Lincoln. They were the same. Your Lincoln dealer has a kit to rebuild the nose gear assembly of the window motor. The pieces of
    "bushing" that you saw were the remains of the internal gear. I can't remember the price for the kit but I think it was around $15.00
  • yelsinkyelsink Member Posts: 1
    The A/C system was checked for leaks, none, and then 6/10 of a pound of R-12 put in. Really is cool now, but only when the outside air is below 90 degrees. Above 90, the system runs cold then hot, then cold, then hot, etc. When outside temp drops below 90, the A/C runs cold continueously. Any suggestions.
    Still sounds low on refrigerant to me.
  • crackerjack_17crackerjack_17 Member Posts: 6
    I'd heard at one time that the rear axle needed serviced before 100k miles, or big bills would be coming up. Was this called repacking the rear axle? Is this something that needs to be done for the Town Car?
  • houndoghoundog Member Posts: 21
    My experience with the town car and others is to double the owners manual schedule. If it says service rear axle at 100K, do it at 50K - you will be well ahead of the game. It is a cheap service, and well worth the money. Be sure to use the proper gear oil, and special additive if you have limited slip rear end (posi, etc). The mechanic can tell if you have positraction after taking the cover off the rear end assy.
    The owner's Scheduled Maintenance Manual said not to check the differential until 100,000 miles. The local Lincoln dealer's mechanic discovered the lubricant had turned to foam. All the gears in the differential plus two axles came to $1136.00. Thus, last Winter I advised this forum to check their rear ends well before 100,000. One reply stated he did and found foam also. After communicating in person with Ford, Bellevue, WA, they paid for half of the cost.
  • crackerjack_17crackerjack_17 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the info. My brother just moved away, and I think city driving has scared him as far as how hard it is on the car. I'll relay the info, thanks!
  • gvanekgvanek Member Posts: 1
    I upgraded from my '94 Crown Vic to a '99 Towncar(Signature)about a year ago. The Crown was really nice but, the TC is great! BUT...I have the same complaint as I had with the CV: The disks seem to warp very quickly. I drive about 20k per year, obviously highway travel. The TC disks had to be turn twice before 44,000 miles...and I'm getting close to having to do something again. This just doesn't seem right. Anyone else have this problem? Are there any "super duty" rotors available?