Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Here is a link to a good article by the Philadelphia Inquirer's semi-retired auto writer, Al Haas, about how a 2000 Town Car is a pretty good buy.

He says one with 42,000 miles, in great shape, is an excellent car and can be had for about 1/2 price v. new.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/classifieds/automotive/4855493.htm

• kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    I clikked on "Business - Automotive" and read about Electromagnetic Compatibility under "Keeping All Your Vehicles Devices On Friendly Terms". Hoo Boy!
  • jrguthjrguth Member Posts: 4
    95' Town Car, love it, but the drivers window is slow and jerky. Is their a simple fix? Or does inside door have to be removed and what? Lubrication, motor replacement, other?

Thanks for your help, have enjoyed reading all the posts here.

jrguth
    With all other lights and accessories "Off" and a slight increase in rpm, does the window operate satisfactorly? Sometimes with an old battery and low rpm with lights and other items on, there can be a reduction in electrical energy going to that little motor in the bottom of the door. Another area to look at is the contacts at the arm rest when you press the window actuator. Corrosion can occurr there also.
    Sorry for the delay, had to test the window. No, with more power doesn't seem to help. I hit the down switch and nothing happens, then all of a sudden it starts down. Going back up is same type of delay then the jerks begin, course at that point we have the added weight of the window glass.

Thanks for your suggestions. jrguth
  • dbc123dbc123 Member Posts: 105
    You might try spraying some silicone lubricant in the front and rear guides if the window is binding there; however, it sounds like the regulator is going out - a common problem with these cars. The regulator is about $70 from Ford and requires about 1-2 hours to replace.
  • fschneifschnei Member Posts: 3
    I have a 88 Lin TwnCar that needs an engine soon. The Rod Bearing is knocking and it has 121K on it. I was looking around and was wondering- Does anyone out there have Experiences with a 93 0r 94 Lin TwnCar ? Mechanically mainly
    It has the "Touring" package
    It has the "Touring" package & rides accordingly. You can feel the pavement, but it corners like a locomotive. More stable than without the package.
    6/14/94 installed hitch & transmission cooler. 8/5/96 replaced A/C fan speed controler, warranted
    4/25/97 replaced driver side rear door control,N/C
    5/27/97 @ 44352 mi. aligned front end
    7/17/97 @ 50830 mi. Platinum plugs installed.
    2/6/98 @ 59756 mi. Installed Michelin X1 WSW
    6/15/98 @ 67439 mi. Recharged A/C system
    7/27/98 @ 70965 changed transmission oil & filter.
    7/28/98 @ 70970 rear loaded calipers and rotors
    4/14/00 @ 80272 A/C coolant and seals
    5/24/00 @ 81541 front brake pads
    11/28/01@ 98000 new pinion, bearings, rear axles, & spider gears.*
    12/26/01 99069 new spark plug wires
    4/8/02 101605 left lower ball joint
    6/17/02 102520 A/C compressor, dryer, & recharge

*The owners maintenance manual says to not check the axle fluid until 100,000. The fluid had turned to foam causing the repair. I personally visited the Lincoln Customer Service rep and she agreed to pay for 50% of the bill due to the verbiage in the manual being deceptive.

All of the items under the hood affected by the fan belt are original as is the battery. The idle air valve needs to be replaced as sometimes the car sounds like a ship's fog horn. This car has towed, infrequently, a 3000 lb boat/trailer as far as the lakes in B.C. It has never overheated and is as quiet as the day we bought it. Recently a passenger thought the engine had died at a traffic light, but it is very smooth and very quiet. I use Mobil 1 and NAPA Gold oil filters. The filter is easy to change when you turn the steering wheel hard left first.

The air suspension system = no problem.
    Uses a quart of 10/30 every 1,200 miles.

The above was taken from the log and I hope it is helpful to you. I recommend you check the axle fluid before buying. Good Luck. Kinley
    rotors were replaced before the front pads because the rear brakes are used more than the fronts! In'94 the Cruise Control applied the rear brakes only when going downhill so as to maintain a constant MPH. Also, you can bet the Towncar with dual exhaust has the Touring package especially when the tire size is 225 instead of 215.
  • 0rnery0rnery Member Posts: 23
    It was my fault. I rear ended a 1986 Mustang convertible. First accident like that in 25 years! Apparently, my bumper rode under his, because the only damage on the Mustang was a busted right tail light bezel. However, mine is trashed!

www.buckeyeweb.com/braden/images/Dsc02779a.jpg

I'm hoping to get enough from the insurance to replace it with another '94 or even cough up a few more bucks for a '95. I stole the alloy wheels and put them on my son's '95 G. Marquis. Sure beats the lame factory wire wheel covers! This is certainly a shame. I never liked the color much, but it was in excellent condition!

www.buckeyeweb.com/braden/images/Dsc01315a.jpg
  • navigator3740navigator3740 Member Posts: 279
    That is a bummer! Now you're on the hunt for another replacement?
    I will need to replace 88 Linc bad knock in engine. Did some research on 90-97 Town Cars. The 92 and 95 have best Consumer and JDPower Ratings. Any Major Repairs Mechanically ?
    Don't be afraid of the 96 either. I had one for 4 years, never even needed a battery.
  • 0rnery0rnery Member Posts: 23
    Thanks navigator3740, I'm absolutly getting another ASAP. Still haven't got together with the adjuster. Been playing phone tag lately. In the mean time, I'm driving a Saturn from the rental company... ugh!

I picked that one up for $6,600. Right now I have a stack of '94 Executive Town Car ads with the cheapest one at $7,500. I know my insurance rates will be going up, but I feel pretty sure I won't be any money out of pocket for the replacement. Getting itchy to climb into another... soon!
    Driving in the Rain:

I received this today from a friend, and wanted to pass it on. I never
    thought about it before, but will now.

I had a wreck a couple of weeks ago and totaled our Lincoln Town Car. I
    hydroplaned on Hwy 35 between Gladewater & Kilgore, TX. I was not hurt, just
    emotionally rattled! I know the Lord was with me. I learned a lesson I'd like
    to pass on to you. You may know this already- but the highway patrolman told
    me that you should never drive in the rain with your cruise control on. He said if you did and hydroplaned (which I did) that when your tires were off the road your car
    would accelerate to a high rate of speed (which it did). You don't have much,
    if any control when you hydroplane, the car accelerates. I took off like I
    was in an airplane. I'm so thankful I made it through that ordeal. Please
    pass the word around about not using cruise control when the pavement is wet
    or icy. The highway patrolman said this should be on the sun-visor with the
    warning about air-bags. The only person I've found out who knew this (besides
    the officer) was a man who had a similar accident and totaled his car. This
    has made me wonder if this is not why so many of our young people are dying
    in accidents.

EVEN IF YOU KNEW THIS OTHERS MAY NOT, PASS IT ALONG, IT MIGHT SAVE A FRIENDS LIFE!
    You have my deepest sympathy, friend.....what a humilicar! It's not bad enough wrecking your T/C, wow.....
    Are there any other locations in the states offering more than 8 under MSRP? If so, please advise.
  • boyetteboyette Member Posts: 1
    Have 92 town car, good except for using oil ,89000
    miles. Thinking of buying 97. Have heard about defective intake manifolds. when dealer cranked car it was hard to start and backfired. he said it was because it was cold and not started for several days . the next day we went to drive the car. same trouble.any coments? 65000 miles on car. Is there an extended warranty on plastic manifolds?
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    Kinley,
    Thanks for the driving tip. That was something I had to learn the hard way. Put my '78 Mercury through a bobwire fence when I hydroplaned with the cruise control on. I'm almost certian I could have reeled her in and saved a rough trip and a wrecker bill (extracting her from the fence) without the cruise control. The highway patrolman and the wrecker driver both told me never to use cruise in the rain. My Driver's Ed teacher never told me this. My grandfather had been driving since the 40's, and my grandmother since the 50's, and neither of them knew to cut off the cruise in the rain. Why don't they tell people this before they have a wreck?
    '98 is the oldest of the latest design and the most economical of the present style. If you prefer the looks of the '97 over the '98, I then understand.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    It's not too hard to get to the $8K off
    assuming you have prev. owner loyalty
    New in '80,'82, & '94. The '80 was totaled in a parking lot crash. Last Summer '02 were 10k off of MSRP. When do you suppose that will happen on the '03 model. How true is the rumor the '04 will include the engine now in the Aviator?
  • bbmcaceobbmcaceo Member Posts: 1
    I have driven the big Lincolns since I bought my first '57 Premier coupe in 1967, I had to give $85.00 for it, it needed a battery. I soon bought another one that was minus the trans., from one of the mechanics at the local L/M Dealer, My first experience was when my Mom and Dad brought home a '57 Premiere Landau four door it was that Wimbeldon white and had two tone upholstery, that was in 1965, they paid $250.00 for it at a local used car dealer. I was so excited that I just had to sit in it all night, WOW was I impressed, I had been a car nut since I was 9 years old and all my book reports concerned cars, I had my first Ca. smog license in 1966 I had cut school and was at the gas station and my boss said since I cut school and was there any way I could come along and take the test with him, he thought I would pass and I did, I opened a Garage in 1975 and kept the location until 1993, I have had many big Lincolns, I was hit head on by a car crossing the center line(a Subaru wagon with a 23 y/o .33 blood-etoh driver) in a 76 Town Coupe, and walked away, engine and trans underneath the car, master cyl standing proud and the roof rippled and the body rippled behind the Lt. door. I currently have a '85 Cartier 105,000 mi., a '88 TC 437,000mi, and just leased (Ford Red Carpet)a 2003 (100th anniversary model) Executive. I intend to keep it. I can deduct the full cost for business. I searched all the inventory west of the Rockies and found the exact model I wanted with an X for the prod code, ($34,000 flat) the reasons that I got car are I had rented 2000, 2001 & 2002 TCs when out of town (tried the De Villes too, do not like the anvil in front handling and the power did not impress me)and the 2002 example I had was the worst handling of them all would go out of its lane passing a big rig, would have immed. put on heavy shocks (it had 50 lbs of air in the tires it was a lot better with a lower pressure), I had heard that the 2002 would have all new frame and suspension, and was disappointed when the '02 was the same car, then I heard that someone had seen a 2003, I went right over to the local dealer to see, there was one in the showroom I went nuts, I was all over underneath it, on the floor in the showroom , and then checked out the interior, WOW, the only thing I did not like was the steering wheel insignia(I like it now). Trunk bigger the pull-down back, all sorts of cubby holes and good cup holders, all new frame and rear suspension, monolithic front end all aluminum cast with Maserati style spring set up (I have three Maseratis) Rack and pinion steering and as standard HD suspension. I feel that Ford did some good work on putting out their flagship car for its 100th anniversary. I guess that Gilmore wuldn't have it any other way. I liked it so much that there is one in my driveway! Couldn't get out from behind the wheel, I have 3500mi. on it now changed the oil at 1200mi to Castrol full synthetic 5w/50 and am very happy with the car, the rental had 8000+ mi. when I brought it back and the mileage had gone to 18mpg plus in the city (I have a heavy foot) and 26 on the road doing 90 most of the time the speed is limited at 108 to 110. The car is extremely stable extremely stable. it really took me by storm, the New one that I got is doing only 12 to 13 in town and on the road about 24 so far and we will see what happens, I could hear some small engine noises that only a professional would hear at the 1200mi mark (and a lot more in the rental which was past service) and the change of oil to the better oil eliminated them and has so far,(Fords have always been succeptable to oil types), They give free service for the first three or four years and use a semi synthetic 5w/30 I will stick to what I like and from experience with the 20w/50 Castrol gtx I have over 400,000 mi. on the 88 its windshield is almost frosted glass showing the miles. quite frankly this 2003 knocks my socks off, it is not the same as the older classic styling it is more subdued and in comparison to the '98-'02 style it is like a big brother on steroids, bigger! Has enough power to be commanding (Would like a little more please but with the same gas) and uses regular gas, in my opinion; and that has not changed since 1967 there is no more economical car to drive than a big standard Lincoln and I am alive due to my trust in these cars! Sorry if this sounds like a paid advert, it isn't I just love the Lincolns! I have extensive automotive experience and have even worked at the now no longer existing Best restoration shop in the world that was in Marina Del Rey, as a restorer and from the '70s I am #152 in the BMW org. (under Hoffman) and a ASE Master Mechanic with about 30 some odd years of experience, I repeat that I love Lincolns, also as an after-thought the speedo set up , the little shelf , its straight out of my Maserati, rbg P.S. I might like a little stronger anti-sway set up, although the car cannot be slighted in any way and it was a delight to discover the new hpyer boos in emerg situation brakes on the car!(between that and the fast steering and suspension I was able to avoid all but a little scratch when a woman fell asleep behind the wheel of a minivan and ran a red light mid stream=no broadside. phew this car jumps! can power brake a good peel too.
    Like you I appreciate the Towncar having had three since 1980. In considering a '03 Executive, I've been advised the '04 will have the same engine presently in the Aviator so here is my question. How would you describe the acceleration difference between the '03 TC with 239 h.p. and an '04 with 305 h.p.? Does that 27% increase in h.p. translate into 27% faster acceleration? Because I appreciate your experience and expertise, your reply is also very much appreciated. Thank you. Kinley
    I'm acquiring a 92 Linc Town Car from Florida and will be transporting it to NJ. What items shoud I change from going from a rather warm climate to cold ???
    All season tires would be advisable. Inspect the serpentine fan belt for wear and scope out the brakes, especially the rear pads as they are used by the Cruise Control to slow the car. LOL.
    Several times I've seen it posted that the cruise control uses the rear brakes to control speed. This is not correct. There is no provision for speed reduction other that reduced throttle on the cruise control. Rear brakes are however pulsed by the ABS system to provide low speed traction control. Also note that the "fog horn" noise is the tube assembly on the idle air bypass valve, NOT the IABV itself - big difference.
    Please tell us how the CC does brake the speed on a 94 Towncar if not applying the rear brakes. It feels like the rear brakes are being applied, but you are probably right and I would like to know how the car is slowed without using the brakes. Thank you. I am also glad to know it is the tube assembly and not the valve. That helps.
  • warzonectx2warzonectx2 Member Posts: 7
    I got a 1993 town car. It has 170000.oo miles on it! Do I need to rebuild the Engine? I just got the car. It runs good. I got the town car for $2000.oo is it a good deal? Can the town car go to 300000.miles! O and how fast can the town car go!
  • gkarggkarg Member Posts: 230
    My 2000 LS has to be applying the rear brakes while using the Cruise Control - I can't explain how else it would maintain such a perfect speed without braking - here in the rolling hills of NW Pennsylvania.

I do believe that you are correct Kinley.
    over 10,000 miles and when I shared that observation with the mechanic he advised me the rear brakes are applied by the CC sensor. It feels like they are being applied when I descend a hill, but I can't feel them engage in our '95 T Bird. Thank you for your support of my opinion.
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    warzonectx2,
    I've got a '95 Thunderchicken with the same 4.6 engine as the town car. Patsy had 139,000 miles on her when I bought her. Now, she's got 215,500 miles. (That's two hundred and fifteen thousand, five hundred, for those of you who think I accidently put the comma in the wrong place ;-), and she's still running strong. On older 4.6's, at anything above about 100,000 miles, you're going to use about a quart of motor oil every thousand miles, but keep the oil level up, and there's no reason at all you can't go 300,000 miles. Remember, cops put 150,000 very hard miles on their Crown Vics, and then sell them at auction to taxi companies who put another 150,000 or so hard miles on them. There's truth to the slogan "Built Ford Tough!"
    Late build 92 Town Cars and all TC/CV/GM from 93 to 98 used the same electronic servo assembly speed control that was not in any way connected to the brake system with the exception of the deactivator switch on the brake pedal. Please see Ford Body/Chassis/Electrical/Powertrain Manual /Group 10 Section 03A, 03B and 03C. I'm not familiar with other years nor with the LS but rear brakes are not used with the speed control in the above named cars
    at a dealer in Beaverton, OR. Only added option is the Reverse Warning System. Has anyone else noticed them selling for under 30k in their area?
    May be a cancelled load of rejected fleet vehicles your dealer took off someone's hands for a song - are they all alike?
    Charcoal Grey with dark interior. Ugh!
    Car
    Current bid US $24,000.00 (reserve not yet met)
     The seller lowered the Buy It Now price. Learn More.

Buy It Now for US $29,000.00
    This option disappears
    once the reserve price is met.

Time left 2 days, 23 hours +

Started Feb-24-03 13:22:54 PST
    Ends Mar-03-03 13:22:54 PST

Seller (rating) rudypowers(13)
      (View seller's feedback )
    (View seller's other items )
    (Ask seller a question )

High bidder carollert(20)

# of bids 1 ( Bid history )
    Location Vancouver, BC
    Country/Region United States/Seattle-Tacoma

Payment PayPal
    See item description for payment methods accepted
    Shipping Buyer pays all shipping charges. Will ship to United States and the following regions:
    Canada.

Revise item

(Mail this auction to a friend) | Watch this item

· 1300 Miles · 4 doors
    · Automatic Transmission · Other Color Interior
    · 8 - Cyl. · Existing Warranty
    · Clear Title · Blue Exterior
    · New · More Detail
  • dinudinu Member Posts: 12
    FYI:

Today, March 19, 2003, in The Arizona Republic newspaper there is an Associated Press article titled "Luxury cars, SUVs crack under crash-test pressure" by Dee-Ann Durbin. Bumper crash tests were made by the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety.
    Does anyone know if they have a internet website? A Google search should determine this.

The luxury sedans cited in the article are noted below in order, according to the degree of damage in these bumper crash tests:

2003 Infiniti Q45 - $1,445

2003 Cadillac CTS - $1,172

2003 Lincoln Town Car - $1,147

2002 Acura RL - $1,103

There was also one midsize SUV noted and two small SUVs noted in the article. If anyone is interested in knowing what the article said about these vehicles post a request for this info here and I'll put it in this discussion grouop today or tomorrow.

Here's a quote from the article relative to the Lincoln Town Car:

In a statement, Lincoln manufacturer Ford Motor Co. said its bumpers meet or exceed government safety standards. It also said the institute's tests "may not be representative of he type of damage that occurs in real-world situations."
    I'm usually pretty philosophical about this stuff, but my wife called and said she hit a pole today, so I may become more interested. Meanwhile, I'm in a Hertz town car loaner, and am amazed at the improvements they've made for this year. Very nice ride. Have forgotten how quiet they are and how well they handle too. Now, if they just had a blower on the A/C, it would be perfect.
    Wanted to share my experience with my 95 T/C air suspension. Got this car last Sept from Florida and truly love it. Flew down there and drove it back with no problem, except some concern when the "check air suspension" light came on after about 130 miles of driving. Car handled no differently so I continued. Of course every time car was turned off and restarted the system recycled and the light was off for another 130 miles.
     During the trip at rest stops, etc, when I saw another Town Car I would ask them about the problem in an effort to determine the cause, the seriousness, and or safety concerns. Consensus seemed to say that the air suspensions had a leak and at some point would have to be addressed. By the way, during the trip I reviewed the owner's manual and learned about the switch that turns off the system, tried that, but got off at the next exit to switch the air system back on, ignore the light was much better than driving w/o the system working.

My wife drives this car around town, so light would never come on during her using it 10 miles per day. When taking car with 4 people the light would come on, more load means faster leak, and more work for the compressor. So over the winter we watched the situation as it developed.

2 weeks ago, she took a day trip with 4 of her friends and the light was on constantly from that moment, so we took the car to a local mechanic who I had been referred to as having the experience to repair these cars at a reasonable price. He said the compressor had blow a fuse, and car was beginning to list or drop on the right rear. Replaced the fuse and gave us a price.

I had thought about replacing with regular shocks as has been discussed on the air suspension msg board, but really wanted original equipment again if possible.

Any ways, the total bill was $572.00 for 2 new air bag systems in the rear. I thought that was very reasonable from what I have read here and just wanted to share my story. Air bags had basically dry rotted over time, so i replaced both sides at the same time.

The "air suspension" msgs, would allow me to read only, so that's why this is here.

Thanks again for your help, love the car, and thanks for all the info posted by others, hopes this helps

jrguth, Lebanon, IN
    When those things explode - they go with a bang. In a recent trip with a '94 Continental, one of the rear bags decided it was tired and popped. It was like a canon going off - immediately the back end was almost to the ground. Good thing we were only a few miles into the trip. ROUGH RIDE home!

If you see one is leaking - replace immediately. Dealers can be VERY expensive - especially using OEM products ($1,000 per strut - times 2 and add labor and you have a $2,200 bill awaiting you...)

Arnott Industries has new replacement air struts that are superior to the ones just a couple years ago and can be purchase on-line for $185 or so.

Be sure and replace both at the same time.
    After reading all of the posts on here to change differential (rear axle) fluid, I decided to change it on my '81 Mark VI.

You wouldn't believe the color of that oil - a very dark gray. I'm glad I changed it now!
    Maybe that's why all of the newer Lincolns are using Synthetic in the differential.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    I was in Portland on a business trip last week and took a cab from the airport to downtown. The cab was a '97 Town Car with 580,000 miles on the odometer!

The driver informed me that he had owned it since it had around 100k on it. The original engine was replaced at 400k with a factory rebuilt unit and the transmission had been rebuilt at 350k. He said he had the brakes replaced "four or five times" and the tie rod ends once.

The driver said he "loved the car" and had no intention of replacing it until he had driven it at least a million miles. It was still surprisingly solid and seemed to run and ride well. The leather seats were still in good shape, too.
  • annd1annd1 Member Posts: 2
    I now have a little over 200,000 miles on my 1991 TC. My husband and I are in our late 70s and do not like the idea of trouble on the road. We like the ride of the car and have enjoyed it thoroughly.He says that we should drive it until it dies. I feel apprehensive out on the highway. Our running arguement is whether to buy another one now or later. Do you consider a car of this age and mileage dangerous? Any advice?
    AD of Louisiana
  • annd1annd1 Member Posts: 2
    I now have a little over 200,000 miles on my 1991 TC. My husband and I are in our late 70s and do not like the idea of trouble on the road. We like the ride of the car and have enjoyed it thoroughly. He says that we should drive it until it dies. I feel apprehensive out on the highway. Our running argument is whether to buy another one now or later. Do you consider a car of this age and mileage dangerous? Any advice?
    AD of Louisiana